Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 40 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by jrpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

K&Q (resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

I don't think so. I don't think there are any Billionaires into EMs.
    I base this on the fact that if I were to suddenly come upon a Billion dollars, the coin-op community would know about it I'd fill up a football stadium size arcade and the whole high-end collector market would dry up.

#2 7 years ago

Millionaires, possibly.

I know a car dealer in Greater Vancouver, he has a few EM pins, many many vintage cars. Asked him once, "Have you considered adopting a new kid". He just laughed and laughed, then said, his grandkids will get it all.

#3 7 years ago

There's a lot here, except we're all just waiting on the lottery

#4 7 years ago

Kinda related. As a high school kid, Warren Buffet operated EM games.

"In high school, he and a pal bought a pinball machine to put in a barbershop. With the money they earned, they bought more machines until they had eight in different shops. When the friends sold the venture, Warren Buffett used the proceeds to buy stocks and to start another small business. By age 26, he’d amassed $174,000 — or $1.4 million in today’s money. Even a small sum can turn into great wealth".

http://www.warrenbuffett.com/warren-buffett-10-ways-to-get-rich/

#5 7 years ago

David Copperfield has some rare Penny Arcade stuff. I mean hundred of thousands to $1,000,000 rare..
    But he's only 80% of a billionaire.. Close..

#6 7 years ago

The key is whether or not the rich people also have that special gene
    that causes the collecting and addiction to want to find and buy more.

#7 7 years ago

One of the assholes from AIG that recieved a huge bonus from American tax payers when his company was bailed out in 2008 has a compound near me with a few EMs in it . He is almost never there and I am sure the games never get played .

#8 7 years ago

A friend of mine locally is worth a few billion dollars (my guess as we don't discuss those things). He collects EM's as well as new games. He also has some very cool, older PM machines (Pure Mechanical)

He plays regularly at home and also has machines available at his business for his employees to play. He and I have traveled to many pinball shows together and some of you have unknowingly stood in line next to him to play. He's unpretentious about his wealth unlike some upper middle class people that pretend to be rich.

Sensing the drift of this thread I will add this. He's not stupid with his money, he researches pinball prices, negotiate with sellers and will walk away from a pinball deal if its too expensive. He also repairs and shops out his own games.

Don't let television or the prevailing attitude towards rich people invade your consciousness too much. For a realistic view read the book, The Millionaire Next Door.

#9 7 years ago

The wealthiest person I knew collected all kinds of pinball machines including old woodrails and EMs. Unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago. Not sure if he had a billion dollars or not, but he sure lived like he did.

#10 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

A friend of mine locally is worth a few billion dollars (my guess as we don't discuss those things). He collects EM's as well as new games. He also has some very cool, older PM machines (Pure Mechanical)
    He plays regularly at home and also has machines available at his business for his employees to play. He and I have traveled to many pinball shows together and some of you have unknowingly stood in line next to him to play. He's unpretentious about his wealth unlike some upper middle class people that pretend to be rich.
    Sensing the drift of this thread I will add this. He's not stupid with his money, he researches pinball prices, negotiate with sellers and will walk away from a pinball deal if its too expensive. He also repairs and shops out his own games.
    Don't let television or the prevailing attitude towards rich people invade your consciousness too much. For a realistic view read the book, The Millionaire Next Door.

sounds like nate

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

The wealthiest person I knew collected all kinds of pinball machines including old woodrails and EMs. Unfortunately he passed away a few weeks ago. Not sure if he had a billion dollars or not, but he sure lived like he did.

our buddy wasn't quite a billionaire but he was well off but NEVER acted like a rich Ahole . he was down to earth and a good guy.
    he will surely be missed

#12 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

unlike some upper middle class people that pretend to be rich.

one of my biggest pet peeves.

I know one billionaire personally, and like some have said, you would not even know it (well you would maybe guess if you knew his last name). But he is one of the most down to earth people I know. He likes to go to garage sales/flea markets and sell stuff he buys on ebay for the hell of it.

but I know a couple doctors that blow money on the dumbest stuff . but you cant take it with you and they don't have families.

Most people I've known seem to get a little snobby once they start making over 6 figures. Not all but we have all seen someone like that.

Most millionaire's I've known aren't aholes, well until they shoot down my fool-proof investment idea's, then they are A-holes

#13 7 years ago
    Quoted from timtim:

one of my biggest pet peeves.

Yeah, one of my pet peeves also. A friend once named them, Fifty Thousand dollars a year Millionaires.

** I hope no one misunderstands my comment. My pet peeve is anyone spending beyond their means no matter how much they make and pretending to be more.

#14 7 years ago

I wouldn't want a pet peeve even if it was given to me for free!

#15 7 years ago

I sold a Wade krause playfield a couple years ago (Kings and Queens) and the zip code was 90120 and the city was Beverly Hills. Didn't recognize the name or ask what he did for a living. Obviously a wealthy person who collects and restores EM's.

#16 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

I sold a Wade krause playfield a couple years ago (Kings and Queens) and the zip code was 90120 and the city was Beverly Hills.

Whoa whoa I have one of those in the basement...you got anymore Beverly Hills deep pockets on speed dial?

#18 7 years ago

90210, give me a break! It's Monday. Didn't sell the playfield for a profit. Probably could have. Sing Along is just as good(or better) than Kings and Queens.

#19 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

90210, give me a break!

I know. If it's the same guy I sold him my K&Q where it sat un played just like it had at my house for months. But it was a nice one!

#20 7 years ago

Mystery man in Beverly Hills, wonder who it is? I've sold several WK playfields, usually because I've changed my mind but never for a profit. That would be wrong.

#21 7 years ago
    Quoted from Electrocute:

Mystery man in Beverly Hills, wonder who it is?

I don't know if it's the same guy or not, but he was a friend of mine.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/rip-donald-margolis-terapin99

#22 7 years ago

Oh my, now that's sad. Sorry to hear the news. Recognize the name now.

#24 7 years ago

Not a billionaire, but ex MLB pitcher David Wells had, or still has a collection of EM pins.
    He said his favorite was Bally "Amigo" (???) Go figure!

#25 7 years ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Not a billionaire, but ex MLB pitcher David Wells had, or still has a collection of EM pins.
    He said his favorite was Bally "Amigo" (???) Go figure!

I remember many years ago there was a show on the YES network where they were walking through his home. He was showing the pinball machines. He called the cameraman over to have him film the castle being destroyed on medieval madness.

#26 7 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Yeah, one of my pet peeves also. A friend once named them, Fifty Thousand dollars a year Millionaires.
    ** I hope no one misunderstands my comment. My pet peeve is anyone spending beyond their means no matter how much they make and pretending to be more.

I've heard in Texas they say "Big hat - no cattle"

#27 7 years ago

There are millions of Americans who don't have $500 in the bank but are willing to dish out more than that on a cell phone, and then are stupid enough to make monthly payments that ultimately end up being far higher than $500 to protect their purchase... which they clearly couldn't afford in the first place.

#28 7 years ago

You don't have to be a billionaire to enjoy good old fashioned pinball. But the more you have to spend, the better it probably gets.

K&Q (resized).jpgK&Q (resized).jpg

#29 7 years ago
    Quoted from o-din:

You don't have to be a billionaire to enjoy good old fashioned pinball. But the more you have to spend, the better it probably gets.

Unless you wait around. People ask me how I'm so consistent at getting good deals, the secret is being so poor that the only deals you get have to be good deals or you're not getting a machine... Makes for a pretty damn good ratio! (Some people snipe CL deals to save money and stay within their "pinball budget" and not "overspend", I do it as the only way to get games that would otherwise normally cost more than I physically have to my name)

#30 7 years ago

If I was a billionaire collector I'd say...buy a 50k mg

#31 7 years ago

I don't need to be wealthy to keep my own games in tune. And I don't feel the need to work on billionaire's machines so they can experience that too.

#32 7 years ago
    Quoted from Darcy:

Millionaires, possibly.

there are doubtless thousands of "millionaires" into pinball, and indeed certainly a bunch of posters on Pinside who meet that criteria. if the definition of a millionaire is someone whose assets minus liabilities total more than a million dollars, that's really not all that rare of a thing.

#33 7 years ago

Hey I just discovered this thread! Ah, late night musings.

Quoted from pinwiztom:

The key is whether or not the rich people also have that special gene
    that causes the collecting and addiction to want to find and buy more.

Yes, I guess that's what I meant. Eccentric billionaire antique coin-op collector.
    (Sorry for the dumb post, I was looking at a bunch of stuff I couldn't afford and maybe imbibing

#34 7 years ago

Its a good thread, man. Don't worry about it.

#35 7 years ago

Heck, 45 years of working straight time makes one a millionaire these days if based solely on wages produced. Even I could become one someday.

#36 7 years ago

One of the keys to wealth, as told by Mr. Steve Martin on SNL:

https://vimeo.com/41152287

#37 7 years ago
    Quoted from emguy:

One of the keys to wealth, as told by Mr. Steve Martin on SNL:
    » Vimeo video

Is 'pinwealthy' a thing, hopefully?

#38 7 years ago

People collect all sorts of things
    does not matter if you are rich or poor

#39 7 years ago
    Quoted from PopBumperPete:

People collect all sorts of things
    does not matter if you are rich or poor

If you sit around for too long, you'll collect dust!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-collecting-billionaires and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.