IMG_6820 (resized).jpg
IMG_6821 (resized).jpg
IMG_6819 (resized).jpg
connector (resized).jpg
cleopatra wiring (resized).jpg
transformer (resized).jpg
IMG_20170909_120926486 (resized).jpg
coil (resized).jpg

There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I don't see how to be able to staple the lighting back down when its completed.

Will this do what you need?
http://www.homedepot.com/p/Arrow-Fastener-T50-Heavy-Duty-Staple-Gun-T50/100021099

#52 6 years ago

I have a few different staple guns.. I don't see how the staple gun will fit in between all the coils and relays.. All the wiring seems to be loomed together, so I don't think the lighting can go on without the rest of the playfield parts.

#53 6 years ago
Quoted from BubbaK:

I'm pretty excited since the game wasn't doing anything when I started and I've never touched an EM game before. I've got 2 more minor issues to work out and It should be 100%.. Unfortunately, I think I've caught the EM bug and am now sorta looking for another one.

I gotta say, you did an excellent job jumping right into repair--especially with a game like Cleopatra. Like most of the late model multiplayer games, it's not an easy game to work on. Very complex. But, you'll start seeing patterns, and down the road, fixing things on EM games will become easier and easier until it's largely a non-issue.

Quoted from BubbaK:

The only major issue with this game left is the playfield is shot. Its kinda funny to watch the ball swerve down the middle of the playfield between the plastic lights.

Are you saying that the playfield is warped? This isn't as uncommon as you might think. With all the junk weighing it down underneath, it'll start to bow. There's a few threads around here highlighting details on how to correct it.

Stripping and clear coating is tricky business, and you're not likely going to be able to lay down layers thick enough to level it out. If your insert lights are cupping, you can fix that with a heat gun. There's a thread floating around somewhere here detailing that as well.

#54 6 years ago

Thanks.. It was definitely a challenge.. I started loosing confidence when I was dealing with the bonus scoring issue. I kept going back and checking the same things that all looked good. I do have a much better understanding of how these games are supposed to work and more importantly, how to start working on one. I probably caused a few of the issues I had to fix by not being careful and touching things that didn't need to be touched.

The playfield doesn't appear to be warped, although I haven't put a straight edge on it. The paint is checked pretty bad, its worn off around the kick out holes, the area that is unpainted at the top has black lines which I assume is dirt stuck into the finish and the insert lights are cupped pretty bad. I did scrub the playfield with a magic eraser and rubbing alcohol and it cleaned it up quite a bit. I don't think there is a painted spot on the playfield that doesn't have some sort of damage or discoloration. I've been around this game since the mid 80's and know it never once was cleaned or waxed or taken care of in any way. I probably took off the playfield rubber that was on the game 30 years ago. It sat in a finished basement for 25 years, then moved to an unfinished basement for another 5+ years, then to my garage for a year. I'll take a look into fixing the inserts. That would make a big difference. One of them is cupped enough that a slow moving ball got caught up on it a few times.

IMG_20170903_135922908 (resized).jpgIMG_20170903_135922908 (resized).jpg

IMG_20171003_225213222 (resized).jpgIMG_20171003_225213222 (resized).jpg

#55 6 years ago

Honestly, if I were you, I probably wouldn't really dig too deep into clearcoating the playfield, unless you plan on really digging in your heels and go all-in. Otherwise, I'd just keep it cleaned and waxed, and enjoy it as it sits.

There's a gentleman here who is documenting his foray into playfield restoration on his sinbad. The trial and error he has faced was enormous. It might be worth it for you, it might not be, but if you read his thread, you'll get an idea of what you'll need to do to get it looking good:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/sinbad-restoration

Otherwise, I'd just call it a day, and use that time look for another game to adopt and repair and enjoy!

#56 6 years ago

Thanks for the link.. I'll take a good look through it. I've seen a few different restore threads and the full job is not for me. For now, its just going to get played. I was more thinking some time down the road. I wasn't planning on a full repaint. I am very mechanical and pretty good with electric, but have zero artistic ability. I can't even draw stick figures.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 15.00
Lighting
Space Coast Pinball
Lighting
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 56 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-cleopatra-help/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.