(Topic ID: 162375)

EM Cleo 220V Euro Transformer Setup - Anyone familiar?

By Dono

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by Dono
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

aTransformer-VAC-110-220-and-reverse_(resized).jpg
    zzzTARGET-ALPHA-transformer_(resized).jpg
    aOrbit-Transformer_(resized).jpg
    transformer_(resized).JPG
    tin_housing_(resized).jpg
    on_off_red_pushbutton_(resized).jpg
    #1 7 years ago

This hobby never ceases to offer up head-scratchers... I've got an EM Cleopatra I'm working on, and now onto the MECH board - well it's obvious from the labels on the board, and on the transformer that this game was destined for Germany day 1. It's transformer setup is wired 220 volts, and that looks fine. It gets strange when getting down and viewing the wiring - there's an on/off switch in the typical Gottlieb Switch housing, except there's a thin red reset pushbutton that is puzzling (see pic), considering there's another on/off switch in the normal area of the cabinet, with the same housing but no push button. There's also a rectangular tin enclosure I'm not familiar with (see pics). Another oddity is output wires on both the 220 an 115 V lugs on the transformer... anyone have some background info on this setup they can share?

on_off_red_pushbutton_(resized).jpgon_off_red_pushbutton_(resized).jpg

tin_housing_(resized).jpgtin_housing_(resized).jpg

transformer_(resized).JPGtransformer_(resized).JPG

#2 7 years ago
    Quoted from Dono:

there's an on/off switch in the typical Gottlieb Switch housing, except there's a thin red reset pushbutton that is puzzling (see pic),

Take it apart and see what's wired underneith.

Quoted from Dono:

There's also a rectangular tin enclosure I'm not familiar with (see pics).

Looks like a power filter for the incoming power plug. If you can get a clear photo of the label, it can probably be translated to know for sure.

#3 7 years ago

Yeah, I just got to it this evening, i plan to get down and dirty with it tomorrow... just curious, why would an EM need a power filter?

#4 7 years ago

I import and rebuild old german games so yes very familiar

the red button is a 5A ( from memory) circuit breaker.... its kinda neat and usually works.

the metal box is a very common and utterly rubbish emi filter.
    we throw the filter in the bin as that model tends to explode after 10mins or so at 230v

I would offer to buy the transformer and sell you a 110V one if you like but freight will be too high i think. let me know if you're interested and ill check the model numbers of the 110v ones i have.

#5 7 years ago

Hi Don +
    Here about transformer - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ccm-moon-shot -> my post-10, Because some stuff is operated by 110 VAC Gottlieb made for europe (for domestic ?) a transformer switchable 110 VAC or 220 VAC - simply moving the Adj. plug. (((May want to look at post-28 ?)

My first JPG shows the inside of my (european) Orbit, question: Do You have in Your pin such an Adj. Plug - see V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6 ? MY ADJ-PLUG is set for 220 VAC.
    My second JPG shows the "GERMAN version" of Target Alpha - see the "Radio Interference Filter" near the main power (220 VAC) plug ? In the lower right corner a snippet of Surf Champ - to switch between 110 VAC and 220 VAC.

The question is: Does Your pin has such an Adj. Plug - see V1, V2, V3, V4, V5, V6 ?
    If "No" - I look at the snippet of schema (JPG-2) and I WONDER: Is it possible to simply feed the domestic 110 VAC there "where the GERMAN pin grabs / pulls 110 VAC" ? I do NOT understand "110 / 220 VAC stuff" --- THIS IS A QUESTION !!!!! Greetings Rolf

aOrbit-Transformer_(resized).jpgaOrbit-Transformer_(resized).jpg

zzzTARGET-ALPHA-transformer_(resized).jpgzzzTARGET-ALPHA-transformer_(resized).jpg

#6 7 years ago

Hi Dono +
    in a german forum they had a similar problem: Somebody bought a Gottlieb-Sys-1 SS-Pin - it came with transformer "ONLY 110 VAC". Some "pinsider" gave the advice "simply buy a transformer Input-220VAC - Output-110VAC (can handle up to 1000 Watts, can handle up to 9 Amperes): https://www.e-lektron.de/el651184-spannungswandler-230-110v-1000w-3648.html (this is just an example - I do NOT know the company "e-lektron.de"). The transformer is made with a simple switch --- it can easily be used the other way around: Feeding-110VAC - gathering-220VAC. You could mount such a transformer in Your pin ...

May want to shop around in the USA for such a transformer ? (((European 69.95 Euro roughly is 70 US-Dollars)))

In case You have problems "getting to the german site": I made a JPG using "Printscreen-Button". Greetings Rolf

aTransformer-VAC-110-220-and-reverse_(resized).jpgaTransformer-VAC-110-220-and-reverse_(resized).jpg

#7 7 years ago

That trafo he has is 230V only in the gtb pricelist? i doubt it will have jumpers for 110V

#8 7 years ago

Hi wiredoug
    I do not want to sell this specific transformer - I gave the advice - Dono: Simply shop around in the USA to buy a NEW-transformer "Input-110VAC - Output-220VAC". Then connect the Output-wires of NEW-transformer to "INPUT-wires of the built-in-220-transformer". When running the pin You'd then have "110VAC -> 220VAC" -> connected to -> "220VAC (-> 110 VAC if needed in the pin), 220VAC -> 24VAC, 220VAC -> 6VAC".

To the "e-lektron.de" transformer- They claim: A Switch on the back of the item -> You can use this gadget either way (((220VAC producing 110VAC OR: 110VAC producing 220VAC))).

The transformer "Dono" has: Wants 220VAC --- OK, we put the NEW-transformer ahead - and the NEW-transformer produces 110VAC -> 220VAC -> we feed the "transformer mounted in the pin". Greetings Rolf

#9 7 years ago

Hi wiredoug
    the topic in the german forum is: http://www.flippermarkt.de/community/forum/showthread.php?t=172487&highlight=trafo - they talk about an "Gottlieb Cleopatra SS-Pin, US-Version with transformer 110 VAC". in post-7 "Sams1001" writes (on the bottom of the post): "Bei den Europaversionen ..." -> translation: "On the European versions there are 110 VAC-lugs - IF I REMEMBER CORRECTLY".
    Well, we do not know about "Lugs for 110 VAC" ...

I look at my snippet of schema Target Alpha (post-5) - I see "two windings on PRIMARY SIDE of the transformer" - So I guess: On Target Alpha transformer ARE Lugs for 110 VAC.

I do NOT advice to Dono "try it" - NO, I DO NOT ADVICE. I have a question:
    I assume "the transformer has on primary side ONLY windings for 220VAC", "transformer has on secundary side windings for 6VAC, windings for 24VAC, windings for 110VAC (to run Reset-Coils on some Relay-Bank)". Now my question: When we would feed 110 VAC to this secundary winding of 110VAC - would the transformer AAA: "explode" or BBB: "burn" or CCC: "not work" or DDD: "nicely produce 24VAC and 6VAC". I do NOT know - this is a question. Greetings Rolf

P.S.: I will ask in the german forum about "Does Your European version of Cleopatra HAVE lugs for 110 VAC" --- I Hope for an answer ...

#10 7 years ago

Rolf I suggested I might be interested to buy Dono's transformer not one from you.

Most of your reply seems to be based on the incorrect assumption all gtb transformers are the same but they are not.. There are several types. We know which one he has. Its right up there in the picture. Most of your ( very hard to follow) reply is about unrelated machines.

The one he has is 230v only. Its a B-16722. Its not a sys1, its not a target alpha and its not 110V...

To avoid further confusion best we leave dono to work out his answer instead of you further complicating the issue.

#11 7 years ago
    Quoted from wiredoug:

I import and rebuild old german games so yes very familiar
    the red button is a 5A ( from memory) circuit breaker.... its kinda neat and usually works.
    the metal box is a very common and utterly rubbish emi filter.
    we throw the filter in the bin as that model tends to explode after 10mins or so at 230v
    I would offer to buy the transformer and sell you a 110V one if you like but freight will be too high i think. let me know if you're interested and ill check the model numbers of the 110v ones i have.

Wiredoug: I would be interested in doing that if you've got a 110 that would work, LMK what cost I'm looking at for shipping. I live on the East Coast of the US.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-cleo-220v-euro-transformer-setup-anyone-familiar and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.