1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by MarkG
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B5A22B0E-3077-42E2-A0CC-4CDCF6A15350 (resized).jpeg
    AFB33EB1-5A98-4747-B0A8-5E1E2BBFD609 (resized).jpeg
    955E9892-B3BC-46AD-8F09-27AF694AC2E5 (resized).jpeg
    #1 1 year ago

I have a question on building this EM circuit tester.

https://www.funwithpinball.com/resources/bulb_tester

For a 25V circuit, instead of using the 4 bulbs, could a single bulb and a power resistor be used? This would mimic the setup on the Ship Ahoy WOW lights on either side of the spinner where a single 44 bulb is run using the 25V bus.

Second question, I saw in the video on the link above how the tester was used across a coil. Could the tester also be used if connected one lead of the tester on the 25V side of a switch and the other lead to the Common return?

Thanks

Alberto

#2 1 year ago
    Quoted from Peruman:

For a 25V circuit, instead of using the 4 bulbs, could a single bulb and a power resistor be used?

Yes. The credit light for some Gottlieb AAB titles do this. They use a 10-watt, 100Ω resistor.

Quoted from Peruman:

Could the tester also be used if connected one lead of the tester on the 25V side of a switch and the other lead to the Common return?

Should work fine.

#3 1 year ago

... or use a single 24V bulb in a spare socket that you have laying around...

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LQON2WM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title

#4 1 year ago

Thanks gentlemen, this is being built to try and fix an intermittent issue with a Gottlieb 300 that I just can’t figure out.

I’ve posted about it before, this machine randomly gives extra balls. There is no pattern at all. I’ve tried jumping over different switch combinations with no luck.

This tester should help me see where the intermittent connection in the Add Player Unit circuit is.

Once I get this built, I’ll revive that thread.

Alberto

#5 1 year ago

That’s a handy tool. You can move one clip along a path of switches and find where it goes bad.

Dave

#6 1 year ago

Harbor Freight has a $6 test light set that includes one with a 36 volt bulb.

https://www.harborfreight.com/circuit-tester-set-3-piece-63612.html

#7 1 year ago

If you make one be sure to make your leads long enough. It's handy to be able to clip into something in the head for example and put the bulb(s) somewhere convenient so you can watch the pulses as you tinker around in the cabinet. Or, clip into something in the cabinet and watch the pulses as you play the game.

/Mark

#8 1 year ago

MarkG I plan to use banana plugs on it so then I can use any length lead I need. I’ll have to post finished photos of it

Thanks again for sharing this knowledge. It’s people like you, HowardR, dgAmp, DaMoid, LeckMeck, etc that make the EM board awesome.

Alberto

#9 1 year ago

Finally built it. Used a shallow wall box, a couple banana plugs, a lamp socket, and a power resistor.

I’ve been playing around with it to understand how it works before using it to debug my buddy’s 300.

For example, if I wanted to check the working of the Lock Relay on this Williams Set Up, would I place the tester across the coil lugs? Then when I hit the left flipper button that is when the bulb would light, correct?

AFB33EB1-5A98-4747-B0A8-5E1E2BBFD609 (resized).jpegAFB33EB1-5A98-4747-B0A8-5E1E2BBFD609 (resized).jpeg955E9892-B3BC-46AD-8F09-27AF694AC2E5 (resized).jpeg955E9892-B3BC-46AD-8F09-27AF694AC2E5 (resized).jpegB5A22B0E-3077-42E2-A0CC-4CDCF6A15350 (resized).jpegB5A22B0E-3077-42E2-A0CC-4CDCF6A15350 (resized).jpeg
    #10 1 year ago

I like the wall box...

Quoted from Peruman:

if I wanted to check the working of the Lock Relay on this Williams Set Up, would I place the tester across the coil lugs? Then when I hit the left flipper button that is when the bulb would light, correct?

Yes. The bulb just shows you when there's voltage across its probes. So if you're clipped into the coil solder lugs it will show you when the coil is getting power. In this case if you hit the flipper switch and get no power, you might move one probe from the orange-black wire to the black-orange wire on the other side of the flipper switch to see if you're getting through the Kick Off switch.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-circuit-bulb-tester-from-fun-with-pinball-site?hl=peruman and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.