Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1716_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1714_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1713_(resized).JPG
    Palooka_end_caps_(resized).jpg
    20160205_102628_(resized).jpg
    20160204_200809_(resized).jpg
    20160204_200824_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#13 8 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

the Palooka lockdown is like my heat wave I think. the caps are unobtainium and are peened on so you can not remove the end caps. the bar is stainless so you have to chrome the different metals at the same time. is that something that can be done???

My guess is that if you send him the whole lock bar he will plate the whole lock bar. I doubt he can do just a portion of it.

#15 8 years ago

Mike's work is the best. The parts you have him do will be as nice as Stashyboy showed in his photos above.

One word of advice - be sensitive to what you are having him do for you. All of the plating on exposed parts on Gottlieb EM games was nickel plating, not chrome plating, with the exception of the lock bar end caps that started this thread. I, mistakenly, had Mike replate several of the receiver channels that reside below the playfield glass and above the playfield at the rear of the playfield. I naively had him chrome plate them. As soon as I put one in the game it looked wrong. In the end I sent them back to him and paid him to redo them in nickel plating. Now they look right. This is just my anal retentive opinion. I like these games to look original. Chrome plating stands out as not original on most of these parts.

#21 8 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Were the Palooka end caps originally nickel plated or chromed?
    Bruce

Chrome plated.

#23 8 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

I've got some 1964 Gottlieb Big Top end caps that need replating - anyone know if they were chrome or nickel?

Chrome plated.

#29 8 years ago
    Quoted from Spanishsilver:

Were Gottlieb coin doors chrome or nickel plated.

Nickel plated until they went to stainless steel.

#31 8 years ago

Stainless started in 1976 with Spirit of 76 and Surf Champ and Royal Flush and after that. Gold Strike is a nickel plated door.

Keep in mind that the nickel plated doors from the mid 60's to the mid 70's have a partial brushed finish that you will most likely lose if you have it replated. But still, nickel will look more appropriate than chrome.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mikeo.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-chroming-lockdown-bar-end-caps?tu=mikeo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.