New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 151293)

EM: Chroming lockdown bar end caps?

By PinballFever

4 years ago

Topic Stats

• 35 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_1716_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1714_(resized).JPG
    IMG_1713_(resized).JPG
    Palooka_end_caps_(resized).jpg
    20160205_102628_(resized).jpg
    20160204_200809_(resized).jpg
    20160204_200824_(resized).jpg

#1 4 years ago

I would like to get my Palooka lockdown bar end caps chromed or re-chromed.

What should I look/ask for when seeking someone to do the end caps in these pictures?

Thanks,
    Bruce

20160204_200824_(resized).jpg

20160204_200809_(resized).jpg

#2 4 years ago

Send them to Mike Chestnut (Horsepower Unlimited). He does great work. I have sent several batches of pinball parts to have authentic nickel plating done and he is the best. Lock bar ends like that are chrome, they use a multi-step process with chrome being the last step. They will smooth out all the pitting, etc. before re-plating.

#4 4 years ago

I did not think mike was taking on new work

#5 4 years ago

We tried to get some of these re-chromed locally, turned out to be cheaper to buy new for the standard GTB ones. Now if you cant get the odd size thats different.

#6 4 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

I did not think mike was taking on new work

Just had some done. He's taking new work.

#7 4 years ago

the Palooka lockdown is like my heat wave I think. the caps are unobtainium and are peened on so you can not remove the end caps. the bar is stainless so you have to chrome the different metals at the same time. is that something that can be done???

#8 4 years ago

hmmm, good question. I may have to answer that myself as I have a Palooka waiting to be restored too. I would guess they might be able to since I have seen side rails done in chrome I think.

#11 4 years ago

Just arrived. Well packaged, individual plastic.
    $35 each for the upper arch brackets, $10 each for the smaller parts.

20160205_102628_(resized).jpg

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

the Palooka lockdown is like my heat wave I think. the caps are unobtainium and are peened on so you can not remove the end caps. the bar is stainless so you have to chrome the different metals at the same time. is that something that can be done???

The end caps are screwed onto my Heat Wave lockdown bar. I am guessing that the peening attachment can be removed and normal screws used? I sent Mike an e-mail since I have had no luck finding someone local to rechrome mine.

I hand sanded my caps all the way to 3000 grit. They were horribly mangled like someone had taken a hammer to them. Sanding made them perfectly smooth and mirror finish but they are not stainless, they rapidly discolour to a hazy blue.

#13 4 years ago
    Quoted from boilerman:

My guess is that if you send him the whole lock bar he will plate the whole lock bar. I doubt he can do just a portion of it.

#14 4 years ago

Plating the bar itself along with the end caps would make it look too glitzy. Perhaps there is a way to mask the bar so that the plating only deposits on the end caps?

#15 4 years ago

Mike's work is the best. The parts you have him do will be as nice as Stashyboy showed in his photos above.

One word of advice - be sensitive to what you are having him do for you. All of the plating on exposed parts on Gottlieb EM games was nickel plating, not chrome plating, with the exception of the lock bar end caps that started this thread. I, mistakenly, had Mike replate several of the receiver channels that reside below the playfield glass and above the playfield at the rear of the playfield. I naively had him chrome plate them. As soon as I put one in the game it looked wrong. In the end I sent them back to him and paid him to redo them in nickel plating. Now they look right. This is just my anal retentive opinion. I like these games to look original. Chrome plating stands out as not original on most of these parts.

#16 4 years ago

I've seen games with chromed coin doors and siderails. It doesn't look right. Not on an EM anyway.

#17 4 years ago

Has anyone messed with those plug 'n plate kits that cost about $50 and will spot-plate a given area? I'm considering it for a couple of items like these riveted caps or bare, unplated areas that rust has eaten on a couple of siderails. Mainly to teach my daughter how this process works.

I'm thinking about going for it - worst case scenario I mess up a spot of a lockdown bar that is too flaky to use (of course, I'll sand out the bad spots before attempting) - best case, it works as intended and everyone's happy? Since the typical application is pretty small (like the end caps on a lock bar), I wonder if this would be the worst idea?

#18 4 years ago
    Quoted from bingopodcast:

Has anyone messed with those plug 'n plate kits that cost about $50 and will spot-plate a given area? I'm considering it for a couple of items like these riveted caps or bare, unplated areas that rust has eaten on a couple of siderails. Mainly to teach my daughter how this process works.
    I'm thinking about going for it - worst case scenario I mess up a spot of a lockdown bar that is too flaky to use (of course, I'll sand out the bad spots before attempting) - best case, it works as intended and everyone's happy? Since the typical application is pretty small (like the end caps on a lock bar), I wonder if this would be the worst idea?

I bought the kit from Eastwood. Didn't have much luck with it. Not great results. The plating is very thin, the substrate has to be perfect as a result or will look very rough. More of a toy really. I wouldn't waste your money. Plus I get spam from Eastwood all the time now!

#20 4 years ago

Great advice. Mike replied to my email and I'm sending him the end caps to have done.

I assumed they were removable from the lockdown bar. Will check when I'm home.

Were the Palooka end caps originally nickel plated or chromed?

Bruce

#21 4 years ago
    Quoted from PinballFever:

Were the Palooka end caps originally nickel plated or chromed?
    Bruce

Chrome plated.

#22 4 years ago

I've got some 1964 Gottlieb Big Top end caps that need replating - anyone know if they were chrome or nickel?

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Model237:

I've got some 1964 Gottlieb Big Top end caps that need replating - anyone know if they were chrome or nickel?

Chrome plated.

#24 4 years ago

Were Gottlieb coin doors chrome or nickel plated. Also what is the contact info for Hp unlimited.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from dr_nybble:

The end caps are screwed onto my Heat Wave lockdown bar. I am guessing that the peening attachment can be removed and normal screws used? I sent Mike an e-mail since I have had no luck finding someone local to rechrome mine.
    I hand sanded my caps all the way to 3000 grit. They were horribly mangled like someone had taken a hammer to them. Sanding made them perfectly smooth and mirror finish but they are not stainless, they rapidly discolour to a hazy blue.

I kinda doubt that they are screwed on. They are probably peened on, which is a one and done operation. To reattach, use slow-setting metal epoxy and clamp.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from Spanishsilver:

Were Gottlieb coin doors chrome or nickel plated. Also what is the contact info for Hp unlimited.

hpugto@gmail.com

#27 4 years ago

Fortunately these Palooka end caps are screwed on. I'm sending them to Mike tomorrow for chroming. Thanks stashyboy.

Bruce

Palooka_end_caps_(resized).jpg

#28 4 years ago

Someone more clever than me seems to have attached mine with screws. I have another lockdown bar that is missing a cap, the holes in the bar are much smaller. Could someone have added the threaded part to the end cap? Nice for me, mine are going to Mike as well.

You can see the hazy blue look on mine, they were beaten to hell before and I hand sanded them from 120 -> 3000 grit to get them smoothed out.

IMG_1713_(resized).JPG

IMG_1714_(resized).JPG

IMG_1716_(resized).JPG

#29 4 years ago

Were Gottlieb coin doors chrome or nickel plated.

Nickel plated until they went to stainless steel.

#30 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Nickel plated until they went to stainless steel.

When did they go to stainless. Looking to get my gold strike and others plated. Thanks

#31 4 years ago

Stainless started in 1976 with Spirit of 76 and Surf Champ and Royal Flush and after that. Gold Strike is a nickel plated door.

Keep in mind that the nickel plated doors from the mid 60's to the mid 70's have a partial brushed finish that you will most likely lose if you have it replated. But still, nickel will look more appropriate than chrome.

#32 4 years ago

When did they go to stainless. Looking to get my gold strike and others plated. Thanks

when the went to the ones with the welded end caps about 67

#33 4 years ago

when the went to the ones with the welded end caps about 67

#34 4 years ago
    Quoted from MikeO:

Stainless started in 1976 with Spirit of 76 and Surf Champ and Royal Flush and after that. Gold Strike is a nickel plated door.
    Keep in mind that the nickel plated doors from the mid 60's to the mid 70's have a partial brushed finish that you will most likely lose if you have it replated. But still, nickel will look more appropriate than chrome.

Having a coin door re-plated likely will be about the same as a PBR repro with shipping both ways for a heavy order. Only real plus would be the backside which is not finished to the same standard as the front on the Repro, though they seem to be slightly higher quality of late.

#35 4 years ago

"Gold Strike", I believe was the last Gottlieb with the mid-sized coin door before they went to the big SS square door on "SO '76".

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 42.00
    $ 44.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 89.00
    Boards
    Pappy's Pinball Palace
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 59.95
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    pinballmod
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 90.00
    Lighting - Under Cabinet
    Rock Custom Pinball
    $ 27.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 7,599.99
    Pinball Machine
    Music City Pinball
    $ 44.50
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 32.00
    Playfield - Other
    Pin Monk
    $ 22.95
    Playfield - Plastics
    RGP Models
    $ 25.00
    Apparel - Unisex
    Project Pinball Charity
    $ 7,395.00
    Pinball Machine
    Classic Game Rooms
    $ 27.99
    Lighting - Interactive
    Lee's Parts
    $ 12.50
    $ 86.95
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Super Skill Shot Shop
    $ 54.99
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 109.99
    $ 89.99
    $ 9.99
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    Playfield - Other
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 2.50
    Playfield - Decals
    Doc's Pinball Shop
    Gameroom - Decorations
    Rocket City Pinball
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 20.00
    Cabinet - Other
    Apron Envy
    € 30.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Creo Pinball
    $ 15.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside