• Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Boomerang chimes (resized).jpg
IMG_0275 (resized).jpg
#1 6 years ago

Howdy All - after searching I didn't find a thread on how EM chimes are supposed to be installed/adjusted to sound the best.

I have a Williams "Space Odyssey" and the chimes do work, but sound very dull. Like just a "thud" with a little tone to it. Not at all good. I took the chimes apart and found some old hard nasty rubber grommets under each chime bar - removed the old rubber and cleaned up everything. And the coils are firing; at least I can see them working.

What I used in place of the old black rubber grommets was simply some round white playfield rubber, about 3/4" outside diameter that fit over the chime mount tabs. Dropped the chime bars back over those, along with the nylon keeper washers and lock down plates and bars. But it really sounds horrible. Hard to hear them in action..

So what did I screw up here? I didn't have a parts manual, and being a noob to pinball machines, I probably did the job wrong. Anybody know how to make the chimes ring nice and clearly?

Bill

IMG_0275 (resized).jpgIMG_0275 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'd buy a set of the correct rubbers from Pinball resource. They do the job perfectly and I've tried many other ways but I come back to using theirs. I just fitted a set to a Spirit of 76 which had playfield rubbers and sounded terrible, and after the new rubber kit they sounded fine.

#3 6 years ago

Chime rebuild kit from PBR will do you just fine. No one makes the bars anymore though I'm sure you could cut some at any hardware store, but that's extremely unlikely you'd need those. Coil sleeves and stops and grommets, all in that kit IIRC. If that white plastic tub is cracked or broken you won't get the volume, it's a sound chamber (same idea as acoustic guitars) so might need to replace that but judging from the pic I'd say the kit should sort you. I don't know about Williams but I've rebuilt a Bally and a Gottlieb and they sound very different. The Gottlieb is more musical but the Bally was significantly louder.

#4 6 years ago

I agree with classic, I used the rebuilt kit from pinball resource and my chimes sound good now. If I had to guess the rubber rings you used are too thick and aren't providing enough room for the bars to move and ring.

Just keep in mind Williams chimes are inferior in design to gottlieb and bally chimes. Even rebuilt, Williams chimes are not as loud and sound clanky no matter what you do. Personally I find it charming and adds to the personality, but you'll never get anything sounding as good as Gottlieb's chimes from a Williams chimebox.

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from KingofKoopas:

I agree with classic, I used the rebuilt kit from pinball resource and my chimes sound good now. If I had to guess the rubber rings you used are too thick and aren't providing enough room for the bars to move and ring.
Just keep in mind Williams chimes are inferior in design to gottlieb and bally chimes. Even rebuilt, Williams chimes are not as loud and sound clanky no matter what you do. Personally I find it charming and adds to the personality, but you'll never get anything sounding as good as Gottlieb's chimes from a Williams chimebox.

The bars have plenty of room to move; they're just too mass-damped to resonate much at all esp with the playfield rubber rings below. As an aside, I did try a very light spring suspension on the large bar... which ended up sounding louder but annoying. In my opinion, this is just a poor design as your experience shows. Good information - thank you.

#6 6 years ago

You will never get the kind of sound out of Williams chimes that you do out of Williams bells.

#7 6 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

You will never get the kind of sound out of Williams chimes that you do out of Williams bells.

I've rebuilt a lot of them and this statement is the total truth. There's no way to make them sound as good. It's the design and the sound box that make the difference.

If you can find one, put a Gottlieb box in the Williams game and it will be better than anything you can do with a Williams box.

Bally boxes aren't bad, better than Williams, but on this one, Gottlieb wins hands down.

#8 6 years ago

I've rebuilt a couple real nice mantle clocks with the 6 hammer chimes in them. Now there's how to do it.

#9 6 years ago

I just rebuilt my Gottlieb unit and it sounds good. I'm not sure how loose or tight the nuts holding the bars in should be. I left some play, but not a lot. Is there a specific way to adjust these?

3 months later
#10 6 years ago

I have read that Chicago Coin used a doorbell chime design

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from mrbanjo:

I have read that Chicago Coin used a doorbell chime design

Doesn't seem like it, unless you mean a chime unit similar to later Gottlieb and Williams games.
Here's a picture of the chime unit in a 1976 Chicago Coin "Sound Stage"
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=2243&picno=36217

Here's a pic from the 1966 "Hula Hula"
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=6324&picno=66860&zoom=1

Here's a pic from the 1956 "Blondie"
http://ipdb.org/showpic.pl?id=321&picno=36443&zoom=1

#12 6 years ago

While we’re in this topic, how loose or tight do you like the bars on your Gottlieb chime units? Just curious how they were factory. I vary mine from game to game a bit but haven’t landed on a sound where I say “that’s it!”

Just curious what others do.

#13 6 years ago

I snug the lock nuts down just to the point of touching the top of the Gottlieb rubber grommet. But not down to start squishing the grommet which reduces volume and continued resonance.

If you leave the nut up above the grommet, you may get a bit of excess rattle of the bars.

1 year later
#14 4 years ago

I thought I'd post in this thread as it's kind of related and I didn't get much response when I started a specific thread on it.
The screw that goes through one of the chime bars (on my Bally Boomerang) has snapped off. See pic. Does anyone know where I can get a replacement assy (it looks like it's part number A-3293 from the Bally parts manual)? Not sure what to do if I can't find one.
This is actually a friend's machine I've been babysitting and I'd really like to get it working before I return it. Any help appreciated!

Boomerang chimes (resized).jpgBoomerang chimes (resized).jpg
#16 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

This is actually a friend's machine I've been babysitting and I'd really like to get it working before I return it. Any help appreciated!

Shouldn't be too hard to fix drill it out and go to the local hardware store and get a bolt and a nut that should fix it good luck.
Raff

#17 4 years ago

I recall this being addressed once before, but wouldn't know how to find it. As Raff says though, looks like an easy fix with a good sharp drill and a small nut and bolt.

#18 4 years ago

Got it guys, thanks, I’ll give that a shot

4 months later
#19 3 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

Got it guys, thanks, I’ll give that a shot

Worked a charm thanks

1 week later
#20 3 years ago

I have installed Gottlieb chime sets in all my other makes of pins. Gottlieb chimes in my opinion are just the best and really do sound better then any other make. I do recommend buying the grommets and installing new ones if the existing ones show any type of damage. Thats my opinion anyway.

#21 3 years ago

The absolute best sounding chimes I have ever heard were in a Sonic Super Straight.

#22 3 years ago

Chime repair kit from PBR made my Williams chimes sound great. Highly recommended.

1 year later
#23 2 years ago
Quoted from crujones4life:

The absolute best sounding chimes I have ever heard were in a Sonic Super Straight.

Hmmm they look the same as most others but I’ll take your word for it. This will be motivation to get mine working.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 50.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Slipstream Mod Shop

$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-chimes-how-to-make-sound-the-best?hl=kingofkoopas and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.