View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
653B5FC9-AE79-4F60-AF40-5A9DE9FAA6CE (resized).jpeg
3E0A664B-1724-4F3E-92D3-DD8B1C3D9A7F (resized).jpeg
D3AA370F-D967-4C63-8435-024A8252970E (resized).jpeg
2ED3C897-2216-4FE1-A304-D76ACA3A8020 (resized).jpeg
47D4FE85-8E0F-4829-B962-BAF29344F502 (resized).jpeg
#1 4 years ago

Hey quick question, what’s this? It’s a counter at the bottom that sometimes moves. I opened up the back and it has a ton of numbers. Is it the match on this game? I also noticed on the top of the machine there’s 2 digits numbers at the end of the game. I started thinking it was related.

Last any thoughts on what’s the best type of lubrication to use on a sticky point reel? Or is it not advised?

Thanks

47D4FE85-8E0F-4829-B962-BAF29344F502 (resized).jpeg47D4FE85-8E0F-4829-B962-BAF29344F502 (resized).jpeg
#2 4 years ago

Replay reel. It tells you how many games you have left. Hit a “special”, cross the “replay” scores, or match and the reel advances. Start a new game and the reel goes down one click. Hit zero and you need to add a coin to start a game.

#3 4 years ago

No lubrication should be used on switch contacts, clean with a flexstone.

#4 4 years ago

Mind sending a picture of what the flex stone is? Thanks so much guys!

#5 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Mind sending a picture of what the flex stone is? Thanks so much guys!

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PLAST

#6 4 years ago

Make sure you read this: http://www.pinrepair.com/em/

#7 4 years ago

Wealth of information there!! I still refer to the TOPS videos at times.

2 weeks later
#8 4 years ago

Hey folks! First thanks so much for the help with the machine! I’ve already learned a ton! Does anyone out there know why the spinning record I’m the middle sometimes registers points and other times not? Anyone have a clue as to what contact on the machine does it or if it’s something else?

#9 4 years ago

Might also be helpful show a picture of what I’m talking about.

2ED3C897-2216-4FE1-A304-D76ACA3A8020 (resized).jpeg2ED3C897-2216-4FE1-A304-D76ACA3A8020 (resized).jpeg
#10 4 years ago

Start by checking the switch underneath record.

#11 4 years ago
Quoted from poppapin:

Start by checking the switch underneath record.

Any idea how access the switch under this? It appears em machines don’t come up like newer solid state games. Not sure how to access.

#12 4 years ago

Show us a picture of underneath playfield.

#13 4 years ago

Access the switch by removing the playfield glass and raising the playfield to the Service position. You will see one or two switches that get closed momentarily as the "record disc" spins.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Access the switch by removing the playfield glass and raising the playfield to the Service position. You will see one or two switches that get closed momentarily as the "record disc" spins.

Sorry to ask this if it’s silly but is it possible to lift the play field in service position for em machines?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Sorry to ask this if it’s silly but is it possible to lift the play field in service position for em machines?

Yes. Are you able to get the lockbar off and get the glass out? Is the plunger catching on the playfield, keeping it from raising?
If you can post a picture looking inside the coin door we may be able to spot what's holding the playfield down.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Yes.

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

Yes. Are you able to get the lockbar off and get the glass out? Is the plunger catching on the playfield, keeping it from raising?
If you can post a picture looking inside the coin door we may be able to spot what's holding the playfield down.

Thanks everyone so much for all the help! I got this pinball machine with the plan if learning how to work on them and it’s so great to have a place you can ask questions.

My main issue is my 1000 counter reel. It often gets stuck and it’s obvious to me a switch needs fixed . Attached is a picture of the swing that goes to my 1000 counter and then the switch that goes to the 10 counter. The 1000 has been rigged to work (it appears) and the 10 is the way a switch actually should be.

Could you guys confirm my suspicion and then also suggest a place that I could purchase online a switch that will work in my counter reel for a Chicago coin game from 1975?
(Note the middle one is the 10 counter reel)
Thanks so much!!

3E0A664B-1724-4F3E-92D3-DD8B1C3D9A7F (resized).jpeg3E0A664B-1724-4F3E-92D3-DD8B1C3D9A7F (resized).jpeg653B5FC9-AE79-4F60-AF40-5A9DE9FAA6CE (resized).jpeg653B5FC9-AE79-4F60-AF40-5A9DE9FAA6CE (resized).jpegD3AA370F-D967-4C63-8435-024A8252970E (resized).jpegD3AA370F-D967-4C63-8435-024A8252970E (resized).jpeg
#18 4 years ago

Pinball Resource will have what you need. Call Steve or email Jimmy. They will be able to tell you which switch blades you need and if you'll have to solder the contacts on yourself. Maybe suggest a good book on maintaining an EM.
http://www.pbresource.com/buttswit.html

3 months later
#19 4 years ago

Here’s another thing that’s popped up on this machine. Recently it’s been failing to kick the ball out. It will usually do it for ball one and then it won’t kick out again. Do you guys think it it’s a coil or a switch?

#20 4 years ago

If I remember right. There is an optical sensor that registers the record spinning. Pretty cool technology for the time but keeping mine adjusted right when I had it was a bit tricky.

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

If I remember right. There is an optical sensor that registers the record spinning. Pretty cool technology for the time but keeping mine adjusted right when I had it was a bit tricky.

Cool thanks for that insight! Any thoughts on ball kick out?

#22 4 years ago

I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic from (for example) Staples ($2) or Kinkos ($6).

#23 4 years ago

p

Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Here’s another thing that’s popped up on this machine. Recently it’s been failing to kick the ball out. It will usually do it for ball one and then it won’t kick out again. Do you guys think it it’s a coil or a switch?

I think it's a loose/corroded "Jones" interconnection between the playfield and bottom board. Or a switch on the score motor or Outhole Relay. Then again a wire could have popped off of a switch blade as the 45 year old solder joints may have weakened.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

p

I think it's a loose/corroded "Jones" interconnection between the playfield and bottom board. Or a switch on the score motor or Outhole Relay. Then again a wire could have popped off of a switch blade as the 45 year old solder joints may have weakened.

Do you have a picture of the “Jones “ interconnection? I know you won’t I’d this one bit generally a picture of what it is?

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Do you have a picture of the “Jones “ interconnection? I know you won’t I’d this one bit generally a picture of what it is?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#26 4 years ago
Quoted from HowardR:

[quoted image]

Thanks so much! When the ball isn’t coming out is just one of those things where it could be several things? It’s not as simple as saying it’s a relay or switch? Learning about em machines and want to be able to fix them

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Gnrwarkfc:

Thanks so much! When the ball isn’t coming out is just one of those things where it could be several things? It’s not as simple as saying it’s a relay or switch? Learning about em machines and want to be able to fix them

Start with the switch under the ball when it is at rest in the return trough. If that is ok then it is the Relay that switch triggers. Simple

#28 4 years ago
Quoted from phil-lee:

Start with the switch under the ball when it is at rest in the return trough. If that is ok then it is the Relay that switch triggers. Simple

Man I just can’t figure out the switch! Often when I power on the game it will shoot out the first ball, after that no more. To me it says that the switch must be working because it does it once. To you does that sound like a bad relay?

#29 4 years ago

Bad switch on the score motor that pulses the outhole coil. I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic.
Or, trace the wire from the coil that goes to the score motor. A couple minute troubleshooting job.

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from MrBally:

Bad switch on the score motor that pulses the outhole coil. I'll need to see a high quality scan of the schematic.
Or, trace the wire from the coil that goes to the score motor. A couple minute troubleshooting job.

Thanks so much for trying to help. I need to locate a schematic.

#31 4 years ago

LOL I didn't know CC had a game called Top Ten, I thought we were going to vote for the top ten CC games!

Which made me wonder if they even have ten that people like!

I did bring my Fire Cracker to MGC a few years back and got a lot of positive feedback.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-chicago-coin-top-ten-question?hl=howardr and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.