Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 12 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by A_Bord
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8E13BA2E-0C06-4587-BABC-3350F3BD7ABD (resized).jpeg
    F25A4D29-1F6C-48D1-8FA9-4405DCEAD8D6 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Final stages of painting my cabinet and was wondering what people do as far as protecting the paint.

- Do you clear coat? If so, what do you use? I'm concerned about yellowing.
    - Do you just leave the paint without a clear coat?
    - One thing that I was thinking of doing is just applying wax to the bare paint and giving it a buff to give some sheen. Has anyone done this before?

#2 3 years ago

I just wax mine. After it’s in the game room the chance of being banged up is almost zero.

#3 3 years ago
    Quoted from Silverstreak02:

I just wax mine. After it’s in the game room the chance of being banged up is almost zero.

What kind of wax did you use on the cabinet?

#5 3 years ago

I prefer clearcoating. I can wipe fingerprints right off with Windex. I have a couple games I didn’t clearcoat. Certain colors look like ground in dust/ dirt. Not the same. I use Satin “water based” Varathane. Won’t yellow. Just did this game and feel the white is protected.

8E13BA2E-0C06-4587-BABC-3350F3BD7ABD (resized).jpeg8E13BA2E-0C06-4587-BABC-3350F3BD7ABD (resized).jpegF25A4D29-1F6C-48D1-8FA9-4405DCEAD8D6 (resized).jpegF25A4D29-1F6C-48D1-8FA9-4405DCEAD8D6 (resized).jpeg
    #6 3 years ago

What is that game?! Wow is it as fun as it looks? It looks like a High Standard pistol.

#7 3 years ago

Its a Midway White lightning, shoots 1/2 nylon balls into the moving targets. Super cool. I did a full every nut and bolt restoration and listed for sale yesterday. Gonna suck parting with it, but making room for others.

#8 3 years ago

I tried waxing a test board painted with Rustoleum 2x. I tested Mother’s Pure Carnuba Brazilian wax and Johnson’s Paste wax. Both started to take the paint off so I think they can’t be used.

#9 3 years ago

Minwax polycrylic semi gloss, sprayed heavily. Evens the sheen and makes the cab sides smooth.

#10 3 years ago

I use wax and dont have any problems. I see no problem with a clear coat that others have mentioned. Just personal preference on the look.

#11 3 years ago

Yeah, that wax attempt was disappointing. Almost like stripping the paint.

#12 3 years ago

I also used the Minwax polycrylic. Sprayed a couple passes, sanded, sprayed, sanded, then did a final spray. I used satin, which looks good but I would do semi gloss if I had to do it again.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-cabinet-clear-coat-or-not?hl=silverstreak02 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.