Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

2014-01-21 14.35.43.jpg
2014-01-21 20.02.12.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I got a Target Alpha. Someone decided to paint the head yellow. I have a similar hatred to them like I did the people that installed the wallpaper in my last 2 houses.

This is my result after a few hours. I'm kinda hoping it being an older game it won't effect the value too much. I think the beat up paint is still better than the whole thing being yellow.

I could probably put a piece of frisket on there and redo the black pretty easily. Of course the black will stand out as being new, not sure if there is an easy way to give it a patina.

2nd idea was to make stencils and paint the whole head. Again, there will be the difference from head to body which would now be even more noticeable.

I could stencil the whole game, but I plan on selling the game and I will get very little of that money/effort back.

Thoughts?

2014-01-21 20.02.12.jpg2014-01-21 20.02.12.jpg 2014-01-21 14.35.43.jpg2014-01-21 14.35.43.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Since you are selling the game, leave it for the next owner to decide and price accordingly. If you want to get more money,(hopefully)then I would paint the whole cabinet and get the enjoyment and satisfaction from doing so...part of the hobby ya' know? ; )

#3 10 years ago

Leave it as is. Just doing the black will make it worse. Repainting the head and not the body will make it worse. And repainting the whole game will be a big time losing proposition. Doing it right or close to right will take you 20-30 hours, and Target Alpha is a $500-800 game. Not worth it.

#4 10 years ago
Quoted from JoeGrenuk:

Leave it as is. Just doing the black will make it worse. Repainting the head and not the body will make it worse. And repainting the whole game will be a big time losing proposition. Doing it right or close to right will take you 20-30 hours, and Target Alpha is a $500-800 game. Not worth it.

I agree. But now I have the top and one side stripped of the yellow and it took me hours. I pretty much have to do the same to the other side and front, no matter what state I leave it in it should match.

#5 10 years ago

If you enjoy stenciling and painting and are good with it then why not do it? It's your hobby and if you can save yet another EM from getting so run down it becomes a parts machine then the whole pinball community wins as well.

Sometimes I just break even and even lose a little money and time wise restoring a pin but knowing another one gets to live another 30 years is good enough for me. That's my contribution to saving EM's and it feels good.

Just my 2 cents.

Ken

#6 10 years ago

I've never done any cabinet work. I have an airbrush and some frisket and was curious to give it a shot. The pin is in otherwise fantastic shape so I don't think the cabinet head is do or die. I feel the same way about restoring, I've lost money on lots of projects considering time, but I usually concentrate on play-ability rather than cosmetics.

#7 10 years ago

Well, the paint removal went terribly over all. I traced the artwork and sanded it down. I'm gonna get some poster board and make stencils and give it a go. I know it wont match the cabinet when it's done. If it does, fantastic! If it doesn't, I'll at least have some practice making stencils and painting. That way I have a little experience going into a full job with expensive stencils.

Antique white is most recommended from what I've read. It seems like most people use a spray can for everything. Is there any draw back to me rolling on the base coat? Nobody mentions the finish of the paint. I'm guessing flat or satin?

I know the yellow/orange will likely be impossible to find a match in a spray can, that may be my undoing. Off to the hardware store. Any last minute advice?

#8 10 years ago

Shredso,
Consider using auto premixed can spray paint (its acrylic) for your project don't roll. A caveman can do it!

I get them pre mixed at an auto store to my exact colors and then put in the can. I use a Pantone color book to match the color, you just need a example of the color you want and the store people can mix exactly. Nothing to clever just good eyes. One spray can should do the head with 2 base coats. One can for the special yellow color. While at the store ask them for cheapest suitable can of auto primer and clear gloss to start and finish the project. The spray nozzles on these cans are superb for this work.

Stencils are made a few ways I use clear mylar film 0.5 mil thick from any art store and use a craft scalpel type cutter to cut out the stencils you do the same with the frisket material. Make two, one for each side; one for yellow and one for the black art work. Get craft black acrylic paint from art store to use in your airbrush. I get tacky glue to stick the stencil onto the head. Weekend job.

Steve J

#9 10 years ago

The color selection was pretty limited at Lowe's. They did have an antique white that looked pretty good from the cap, but it's drying more bright white. Hopefully I can clean up the rest of the cabinet and brighten it up to match a little better.

I will definitely look into the custom mixed color for the next one, or if my yellow is way off.

I used tracing paper and picture frame backing for the stencil. I'm hoping with this thick material I will be able to do both sides and possibly more if I screw something up. One down, 2 to go. It's taking a while to cut through the thick material.

Next I have to do the splatter. I'm a little nervous about this part. Worst I can do is have to repaint I suppose.

#10 10 years ago

I had mixed results with the gold splatter. I eventually got in on the wood but seemed to get much more on myself. I used a cut down 1" cheap paint brush. Maybe being left handed was the cause.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Space Coast Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-cabinet-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.