Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 30 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by jrpinball
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
    D4BFF072-CA1E-4521-A172-36F0C8F63FAE (resized).jpeg
    DB57038F-8C30-4FCB-8644-104DF8C6897B (resized).jpeg
    Old-Plantation.gif (© © Mark Gibson)
    Projection-Unit.gif (© © Mark Gibson)
    Royal-Flush-2.gif (© © 2019 Mark Gibson)
    Paradise-2.gif (© © 2019 Mark Gibson)
    #1 5 years ago

A recent topic here about flasher bulbs behind EM backglasses reminded me of other ways flasher bulbs were used. Many games used flasher bulbs behind the game title but there were other games that used them in more subtle and interesting ways. Here's an example from Paradise:
    Paradise-2.gifParadise-2.gif
    Her eye only flashes between games like an attract mode.

I'm curious what other EM backglasses used illumination in interesting ways.

/Mark

#2 5 years ago

Gun flash on Quick Draw/Fast Draw comes to mind.

#3 5 years ago

#royal-flush-gottlieb/#card-whiz are similar to Quick Draw/#fast-draw I imagine:
    Royal-Flush-2.gifRoyal-Flush-2.gif
    The white flash in front of the magician comes on with the Game Over and match lights and was probably intended by the designer. The other two were probably added for fun.

#4 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Royal Flush/Card Whiz are similar

Took the words right out of my mouth! I remember thinking I had a flaky socket there after I fixed up my game, as I couldn't really make out when the light was working and when it wasn't at first. Then I noticed it would only turn on when the game over light was lit. Nice little effect.

I like the backglass animation on Spin-a-Card (and similarly, the playfield effect on Flip a Card).

2001 has a nice little "animation" on the backbox where the cards light up after you complete a colored bank of drop targets.

#5 5 years ago

Time Zone uses five lamps in the backbox that rotate around as the tunnel rotates. They stop when the tunnel is stopped. Pretty cool effect.

Abra Ca Dabra has the eyes on the backglass only light on game over. I put red lamps on mine, cool looking effect.

#6 5 years ago

William's Moulin Rouge also has a one of a kind backglass illumination effect, as the painting fills up as you complete playfield objectives.

#7 5 years ago

On Jungle Queen the cloud above the volcano lights in game over.

FWIW, on Gottliebs, the socket that's mounted flush (or could be the socket that is sunk in) is the one that should get a 455. This socket will light in game over and provide a subtle attract mode.

#8 5 years ago

On Gottlieb Playball, two flasher lights behind the fireworks bursts over the stadium come on at game over.
    Subtle, but looks cool.

#9 5 years ago

I have one flasher in Grand Prix, in the green/yellow Hotel.
    Set up right on Klondike, they tell a brief action sequence with the guy on the horse spotting the bear.

#10 5 years ago

On Gottlieb Buccaneer the pirate flag flashes I guess to simulate waving.

#11 5 years ago

I once had a space mission that I added blinker bulbs to the 5 white stars.

#12 5 years ago

My Home Run has flasher bulbs behind the fireworks in the graphics. They are lit when the game is over.

#13 5 years ago

Games from the mid 1930s to the late 1940s displayed the available credits with a projection unit like this one:
    Projection-Unit.gifProjection-Unit.gif
    This one is mounted to the playfield, but they're often found in the back box with the available credits appearing on a small white frosted part of the backglass.

For a better look at how Gottlieb's projection unit worked click through to: https://www.funwithpinball.com/exhibits/small-boards#ProjectionUnit

#14 5 years ago

Here's an obscure one. These displays were usually used for technical instruments but found their way into a couple of Keeney games in the early 1960s. They called them Panascope displays. These were from Old Plantation.
    Old-Plantation.gifOld-Plantation.gif
    Each black box contains a dozen standard 44 bulbs. Each bulb sits behind a tiny transparency and lens to focus an image onto the frosted screen at the front. Color can be added either by using a colored slide, or turning on a pair of bulbs, one for the color and the other for the image. I have no idea what the symbols mean or how they were used, but the display itself is pretty cool.

#15 5 years ago

Bass drum on King Rock (only on game over)
    Magnotron, the eyes of the robot (only on game over)

#16 5 years ago

On my Aladdin’s Castle there are only 2 flasher bulbs behind the backglass and they just happen to show off the genie’s (ample) boobies.

D4BFF072-CA1E-4521-A172-36F0C8F63FAE (resized).jpegD4BFF072-CA1E-4521-A172-36F0C8F63FAE (resized).jpegDB57038F-8C30-4FCB-8644-104DF8C6897B (resized).jpegDB57038F-8C30-4FCB-8644-104DF8C6897B (resized).jpeg
    #17 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

Here's an obscure one. These displays were usually used for technical instruments but found their way into a couple of Keeney games in the early 1960s. They called them Panascope displays. These were from Old Plantation.
    [quoted image]
    Each black box contains a dozen standard 44 bulbs. Each bulb sits behind a tiny transparency and lens to focus an image onto the frosted screen at the front. Color can be added either by using a colored slide, or turning on a pair of bulbs, one for the color and the other for the image. I have no idea what the symbols mean or how they were used, but the display itself is pretty cool.

This looks a lot like the displays used in 2001: A Space Odyssey. Best GIF I can find at the moment: https://thumbs.gfycat.com/PhonyGloriousDrongo-mobile.jpg

#18 5 years ago
    Quoted from MarkG:

[quoted image]

Now that's something I've never seen. Very interesting!

2 months later
    #19 4 years ago

Hey hey hey... now Mark himself has come up with a new illumination take on the original concept behind Magic City!

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-magic-city-rotating-backglass-lamp-feature#post-5066016

#20 4 years ago

My Cue-T, Miss-O and Pat Hand all have flasher bulbs installed behind their names in the back glass.

#21 4 years ago

Jet Spin lights up an engine at the bottom of the backglass

#22 4 years ago

On Paul Bunyan the campfire under the 1 & 2 can play lights when the game ends.

#23 4 years ago

super spin lights the machines in the backglass, kings and queens lights a lantern

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
    #24 4 years ago

I put a fire LED in the lantern. Looks nice.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from bonzo71:

On Paul Bunyan the campfire under the 1 & 2 can play lights when the game ends.

Campfire also lights with a pair of bulbs upon game over in GTB Mini Cycle.

#26 4 years ago
    Quoted from NicoVolta:

I put a fire LED in the lantern. Looks nice.

I once had a Williams "Blue Chip", and installed a fire LED behind the pouring molten steel where it enters the cauldron. Super cool effect.

#27 4 years ago

Not sure if this counts or not but the EM version of EK has a flasher circuit board in the backbox that runs the lights across the backglass showing the motorcycle jumping over the buses.

John

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from Dayhuff:

Not sure if this counts or not but the EM version of EK has a flasher circuit board in the backbox that runs the lights across the backglass showing the motorcycle jumping over the buses.
    John

Sure does, I happen to see that two weeks ago on a game, its pretty cool!

#29 4 years ago

Gottlieb Big Hit has a flasher bulb behind the blimp that only comes on in game over mode.

#30 4 years ago

"Ice Revue" has a light animation feature in the backglass which corresponds with the lighted kickout holes when the "special" is lit.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-backglass-lighting-effects?hl=pschwisow and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.