• No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BackboxEM2.jpg
BackboxEM.jpg
#1 8 years ago

Hi, I'm working on my first EM, and I noticed these dark black rectangles that I supposed might have been rubber at some point, but now just feel like crusty toast. Are these supposed to be here? Did someone modify the backbox in an attempt to protect the backglass?

I filed 2 off, but was afraid to continue. Although they are only 1-2mm deep, they press right up against the backglass and I was not sure if they were serving any function.

Thanks!

BackboxEM.jpgBackboxEM.jpg BackboxEM2.jpgBackboxEM2.jpg
#2 8 years ago

Those are the remnants of foam strips (pretty much like weather stripping), used to cushion the backglass. You can get similar foam from Lowes/Home Depot and replace.

#3 8 years ago

Remnants of the factory foam rubber strips. Normal.

#4 8 years ago

Thanks guys.

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from KenLayton:

Remnants of the factory foam rubber strips. Normal.

As are the marks they left on the back glass.

#6 8 years ago

Don't replace these with foam. Use cork or felt instead. Over time, the foam reacts with the backglass ink and discolors it. Foam breaks down over time. Felt is probably the best replacement.

#7 8 years ago

You know, someone gave me a tip on replacing that with the fuzzy side of an adhesive Velcro strip. I have yet to try it but it sounds promising.

#8 8 years ago

Felt sounds pretty good. I was thinking even some electrical tape would work. It is such a thin layer. I was afraid foam might be too thick.

I won't be able to put the backglass back in for awhile (I am repairing a lot of the game) but I appreciate the suggestions!

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from Boatshoe:

Felt sounds pretty good. I was thinking even some electrical tape would work. It is such a thin layer. I was afraid foam might be too thick.
I won't be able to but the backglass back in for awhile (I am repairing a lot of the game) but I appreciate the suggestions!

I wouldn't use electrical tape. It's too thin to do any good, and the adhesive can eventually leak out toward the edges of the tape and gum up your glass. I think a strip of felt and a dab of glue would be best for cushioning the backglass.

#10 8 years ago
Quoted from dasvis:

You know, someone gave me a tip on replacing that with the fuzzy side of an adhesive Velcro strip. I have yet to try it but it sounds promising.

This would be a simple solution but my concern is that the loop side of velcro could be too thick and bind/strain/stress the glass.

Quoted from jrpinball:

Felt is probably the best replacement.

This is what I use. I take thin 3/4" wide felt weather stripping, which is maybe 1/8" thick and split it to about 1/16" thick and apply it to the head relay board with double sided sticky cellophane tape. It works quite well. I've found the 1/8" thick felt is too thick and can also bind/strain/stress the glass like I'm concerned the loop side of velcro might and that is why I split it thinner. A better solution could be if they make 1/16" thick felt weather stripping or just use black craft felting material cut to size.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet Parts
Space Coast Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-backbox-hack-or-feature and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.