Screen_Shot_2016-05-19_at_12.56.09_PM_(resized).png
Screen_Shot_2016-05-19_at_12.54.01_PM_(resized).png
cab_side_(resized).jpg
front_(resized).jpg
Screenshot_1731_(resized).png
telltaletap_(resized).jpg
2013-07-16_051.png
Screenshot_2015-08-15-22-23-18.png
There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 10 years ago

Just ran across this watching classic "Kolchak - The Night Stalker".

Always liked this TV series especially as a kid even though it's a bit cheesy at times but Darren McGavins acting is entertaining.

Check out the first minute of the episode of "Firefall-1"

A mix of pinball and other EM stuff. Can you name them?

Ken

#2 10 years ago

I see a Jubilee and Play Ball.

#3 10 years ago

To start, I see a Williams Gridiron and next to that is a Williams Swinger.

Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

I see a Jubilee and Play Ball.

I do not see those. I see a Gottlieb Grand Slam, not Play Ball and I believe your Jubilee is actually the Swinger.

Ken

#4 10 years ago

I see dead people

#5 10 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

To start, I see a Williams Gridiron and next to that is a Williams Swinger.

I do not see those. I see a Gottlieb Grand Slam, not Play Ball and I believe your Jubilee is actually the Swinger.
Ken

I see I need to look closer and maybe need a new script for my glasses! ; ) Good call Ken.

#6 10 years ago

At 36 minutes into the episode they go back to the arcade and you see a Gottlieb 4 Square which there is a little story with as well. I wonder if it was my old 4 Square?

Ken

#7 10 years ago

Next to Four Square is a Williams Time Travel. This looks much like the game rooms I remember as a child. Nice line-up too...classic mid '70's.

#8 10 years ago
Quoted from bonzo71:

Nice line-up too...classic mid '70's.

Yea, I like seeing the shooter games they showed as well, but can't quite make any out. "Charley" the puppet is most likely a Williams game from the mid 50's. "Zoltan" the fortune teller is like the one from the movie "BIG". They have a "Jet Rocket" and a "Stunt Pilot" arcade games which I don't believe I have played.

Quoted from bonzo71:

Next to Four Square is a Williams Time Travel.

Good call!

Anyone else spot something they can make out?

Here is the full episode which is actually pretty decent.

Ken

2 weeks later
#9 10 years ago

This one is interesting:

#10 10 years ago

Not really arcades, but these:

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

Not really arcades, but these:
» YouTube video
» YouTube video
» YouTube video

Pretty funny you listed these first two, are clips I put up Steve!

#12 10 years ago

Oh, sorry about that!

#13 10 years ago

I just came across this one:

Here's a good clip:

And this:

#14 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I just came across this one:

Classic Stooges with Curley and pinball, the best of both worlds.

Ken

#15 10 years ago

There was another Stooges episode which featured a pinball machine. I think it had a mallet which would knock the player's head if he tilted. Very funny as I recall.

#16 10 years ago

Bally Night Rider EM is in the background of Spaceballs space café scene. I just picked one up and gave it new life.
May the Schwartz be with you!

#17 10 years ago

You just KNOW there simply must be some clips containing arcades from popular 70's cop shows like Hawaii 5-O, Starsky & Hutch, Streets of San Francisco, Rockford files etc. I spent some time a while ago surfing to some of those at YouTube but never came across any arcade scenes.

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from SteveFury:

I spent some time a while ago surfing to some of those at YouTube but never came across any arcade scenes.

Here's a couple for you Steve but there are no links on Youtube to these scenes so you either have to own/rent the movie or have something like Netflix.

Check out the 1979 version of "Salem's Lot" with David Soul and go the the cafe scene about the middle of the movie. There are quite a few EM machines in that one even though I can't remember any titles right now.

Also just watched a good 2003 movie last night on Netflix called "Dark Blue" with Kurt Russel. A little over an hour into it there is an office scene at the police station in which there is a rare 1954 4-Belles which looked cherry!

Ken

#20 10 years ago

There were many different pins in the Kelsey's bar scenes on "All in the Family". I've seen "Hit the Deck", "Sing Along", and a few others. Someone once told me that there was an episode of "Columbo" or "Baretta" in which a guy was working on an EM pin (possibly "Subway"), and there were others in the background. I never found the episode though.
My wife enjoys classic movies, and she always calls me over when she spots a pin in a particular scene. It always amazes her when I can usually identify it; sometimes just by the side art.
If you've ever seen the old Charles Bronson movie "The Mechanic", there is a scene where he is in his home throwing daggers at a target and behind him is a Gottlieb "Tropic Isle" which is only visible and identifiable by the side art.

1 year later
#21 8 years ago

Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew Mysteries.

An Operator that knows the sounds of his pinball machine.......a Williams Skylab. When I heard the recording I knew it was a Williams, but honestly I don't know if someone could be specific and know it was a Williams Skylab. Zip forward to 33:40 in the show or just see the whole thing as it is fun and you get to see a 19 year old Valerie Bertinelli.

Ken

#22 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Hardy Boys / Nancy Drew Mysteries.
An Operator that knows the sounds of his pinball machine.......a Williams Skylab. When I heard the recording I knew it was a Williams, but honestly I don't know if someone could be specific and know it was a Williams Skylab. Zip forward to 33:40 in the show or just see the whole thing as it is fun and you get to see a 19 year old Valerie Bertinelli.
» YouTube video
Ken

Wow what a blast from the past!
The game is seen around 35:00

#23 8 years ago

Just watched an episode of Daredevil on Netflix. Guys were playing a Stern Mustang but the soundtrack had EM sounds/chimes...does that count?

#24 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Guys were playing a Stern Mustang but the soundtrack had EM sounds/chimes...does that count?

For some reason Hollywood just can't let go of chimes/bells for pinball machines no matter what year they were made after EM's ended...and to your question.....no, but nice try.

Ken

1 week later
#25 8 years ago

i just saw an old mannix episode where a odds and evens was being played. lower half of the playfield and side view of the head shown that it wasnt monte carlo.

#26 8 years ago

Classic scene from 1973's American Graffiti. This is supposed to be set in 1962. They must have been advanced copies of the machines involved.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnecfr_robbing-the-pinball-arcade-from-american-graffiti-1973_shortfilms

#27 8 years ago

1993's Dazed and Confused. The setting May of 1976 in the local hangout. EM pinball machines galore!

#28 8 years ago

Bad News Bears 1976 arcade scene.

#29 8 years ago

For those who may not know, Josh Kaplan lists TV and movie sightings of pinball machines when people send them in to him:

http://www.pingeek.com/tv/tv.htm

http://www.pingeek.com/film/film.htm

In fact, the video shown in Post #9 of Martin and Lewis, I had previously added to the TV sightings listings under "Colgate Comedy Hour" but I now see that I forgot to point out that the third game with the 10-foot plunger is Williams 1948 Saratoga. I'll let Josh know.

#30 8 years ago

Screenshot_2015-08-15-22-23-18.pngScreenshot_2015-08-15-22-23-18.png

#31 8 years ago

I just watched James and the Giant Peach with my grandson the other night. At the end of the movie after the credits they show a really interesting EM arcade game. It was obviously custom made for the movie but has a great look to it. Sort of old automaton meets early EM arcade. It has James evil aunts rotating around and you spike them from underneath with a mechanical rhino to score. Hard to explain but really neat. I looked it up hoping to find some pics but only found it was called "Spike the Aunts."

Edit: I found this pic of the inside.
2013-07-16 051.png2013-07-16 051.png

#32 8 years ago

The Thing(Kurt Russell version) has a Heat Wave(Williams) in their rec room scenes--get it...they are in the frozen tundra...heat?

#33 8 years ago

You had me at "A 19 year old Vallerie Bertinelli"

I subnitted a few as Wedgehesd Killer to pinballs in the movies . The most notable pins I found are in 70's Burt Reynolds films. Classic Rack a Ball in "White Lightening"

6 months later
#34 8 years ago

Superman 2, Superman throws a truck driver into a Buckaroo.

#35 8 years ago
Quoted from 1974DeltaQueen:

You had me at "A 19 year old Vallerie Bertinelli"

Little Barbara Cooper.....

#36 8 years ago
Quoted from Wickerman2:

Superman 2, Superman throws a truck driver into a Buckaroo.

Ouch for the Buckaroo.

Ken

#37 8 years ago

Original Dawn of the Dead has the characters visiting the arcade in the mall with a bunch of EM games.

#38 8 years ago
Quoted from EM-PINMAN:

Ouch for the Buckaroo

Broke the backglass and the horse started kicking

#39 8 years ago

1 minute in.

1 month later
#40 7 years ago

5th Episode of The Night Manager on AMC, mercs in Middle East camp have a Jungle Queen.

#41 7 years ago

I know it's a pretty grainy pic but can anybody tell what game this is? It was in the opening scene of a 1965 Perry Mason episode called The Case of the Telltale Tap I watched the other night. I think it was a working game because a guy walked up to it and started playing it.

telltaletap_(resized).jpgtelltaletap_(resized).jpg

#42 7 years ago

Love the Bad News Bears arcade scene. I use the Kelly Leak line "we play for a buck a game around here" when friends come by to play. And sometimes we do. I was 10 when that movie came out and the language was considered "harsh" then. Look at us now................

#43 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I know it's a pretty grainy pic but can anybody tell what game this is? It was in the opening scene of a 1965 Perry Mason episode called The Case of the Telltale Tap I watched the other night. I think it was a working game because a guy walked up to it and started playing it.

That's a tough one. The coin door looks like a Gottlieb with the coin plate above. The paint scheme on the head doesn't look like anything I recognize from that 63-65 era though.

#44 7 years ago
Quoted from AlexF:

That's a tough one. The coin door looks like a Gottlieb with the coin plate above. The paint scheme on the head doesn't look like anything I recognize from that 63-65 era though.

It is a tough one! I was half asleep when I saw the show. It was clearer than that youtube capture but at first I thought or assumed it was a woodrail. I was kind of groggy.
Perry Mason is a great show to put you to sleep at night.

#45 7 years ago

It appears to be a wedgehead to me. It also appears that the score reels are at lower center. The only wedgeheads that match that criteria are Rack-A-Ball, Gigi, Olympics, Cover Girl, Flipper Fair, Showboat and Foto Finish.
I think it may be Gigi. Has the white space at bottom of the head art. Side art looks similar to me.
This is assuming it is a wedgehead. The head gets larger from the bottom up but it could be the angle of the photo.

#46 7 years ago

It didn't look like a wedghead to me, but it is possible. Judge for yourself. First twenty seconds.

#47 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

It didn't look like a wedghead to me, but it is possible. Judge for yourself. First twenty seconds.
» YouTube video

I've watched the video over and over since your first post on this! 500%. 50%. It's Driving me nuts! If you measure the head from top to bottom it gets smaller.
If you look at it long enough, it starts looking like anything you can imagine! Curse you!

#48 7 years ago

It was a lot clearer on real TV, but that means I will have to wait until they show that episode again. Probably in the next six months or so... I'll be looking!

#49 7 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Coin door looks like this Gottlieb one (unless it's just the screenshot that made the line), which matches that era, but the head doesn't

Screenshot_1731_(resized).pngScreenshot_1731_(resized).png

#50 7 years ago

That lady turned out to be a real bitch.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 69 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-arcades-in-the-movies?hl=sixleggeddog and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.