Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_DSCN6039 (resized).jpg
    20181019_190933 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    image-14 (resized).jpg
    MC (resized).jpg
    Woodys (resized).jpg
    e523d8828f5ed1b8f30414330ada41e0cc7780f4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#99 5 years ago

As others have noted, the difficulty in ranking and recommending EMs is that their commonality is outweighed by their differences. For example, the sensibility of a fantastic woodrail is quite different than that of a wedgehead.

Asking which EMs are the best is akin to asking which alcoholic beverage or which snack is best. The question is simply too generic. Categories are necessary so that games from different eras with divergent appeal are not deemed to compete with one another. I would go so far as to subcategorize by manufacturer (and perhaps by single vs. multi-player and/or flipper size) since each manufacturer bestows a unique "feel" to the fun factor.

With that predicate, I consider the following titles (listed alphabetically) to be especially successful designs in both gameplay and art [* denotes 3 inch flipper game; # denotes multiplayer game; all others are 2 inch flipper games]:

BALLY:

Capersville#
    Cosmos#
    Dixieland
    Dogies#
    Expressway
    Fireball '72#
    Rocket III
    Skyrocket#
    Surfers

GOTTLIEB

Atlantis*
    Big Hit*
    Blue Note/Rock Star*
    Hit the Deck/Neptune*
    Joker Poker*#
    King of Diamonds
    Strange World*
    Surf Champ*#
    2001/Dimension
    Volley*

MIDWAY

Flying Turns#
    Race Way#

WOODRAILS

Chicago Coin Thing

Gottlieb 1950 Bank-A-Ball
    Gottlieb Daisy May
    Gottlieb Grand Slam
    Gottlieb Harbor Lites
    Gottlieb Niagara
    Gottlieb Queen of Hearts
    Gottlieb Spot Bowler

Williams Sea Wolf
    Williams 21

There are so many great EM titles, especially among the wedgehead and woodrail categories. These are just a few that come to mind. I hate omitting so many wonderful titles from my list. However, I see those games on the lists of others who have posted.

#112 5 years ago
    Quoted from vid1900:

THING by Chicago Coin
    It features a guy who finds an object and then is shunned by everybody for the rest of his life
    When he dies, St Peter sends him to Hell because of it, and at the gates of Hell, Satan won't let him in cause he's afraid of it.
    Great game that's not a CCC theme (Cards, Clowns and Cowboys)
    [quoted image]

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/znet/stories/20140619-the-thing-about-thing-chicago-coins-contribution-to-the-afterlife

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider znet.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-a-list?tu=znet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.