Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 133 posts
  • 58 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by phil-lee
  • Topic is favorited by 5 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

thumbnail_DSCN6039 (resized).jpg
    20181019_190933 (resized).jpg
    image (resized).png
    image-14 (resized).jpg
    MC (resized).jpg
    Woodys (resized).jpg
    e523d8828f5ed1b8f30414330ada41e0cc7780f4 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SuperDaveOsbourn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#81 5 years ago

Any EM that you thought enough to buy (for price, novelty, looks, or just closeness or youth in your career in pin) is the best EM. Work on it, restore it, sell it, learn from the process, and do it again. Factors like art, tides of like (as some say), production #, playability, condition usually in (some lasted better than others for various reasons) makes it all very subjective. Again, the one I have my head in, humping away at it to make it play the best I can, and learning from it, that makes the EM special and particularly interesting at a given time. Like children, you will have a fav or two, the posse will not pull all equally all the time.

#84 5 years ago

As TA of PHoF has said, and is correct, single player games are pure and simple. You and machine, you get in a zone, a zen and playing them makes for a special relationship between a game and how it plays with the player. The player owns it for that moment in time, no matter if in a friends house, on location or in the spirit of thinking about beating it next time for a high score. Hold over features make multi player EMs from the WMS factory are unique and add strategy. However, 95% of all games played on a multiplayer machine are single. So, stick with the single players for the best bang for the buck, and maintainability. The multiplayer games came into fashion but it was never a realized benefit in the market, or at home for the enthusiast and true player/game owner. However, and there is always a caveat to all things, small percentage benefit at best, is in home game play at parties, and in tourneys the multiple player brings to the floor some interaction and participation which is needed. All charity events I host have 1/2 or more multiplayer EMs. They do serve a purpose, but they are not pure.

#95 5 years ago
    Quoted from jasonspoint28:

I think you can get a pretty good list of desireable games by selecting the Custom feature in the Top 100. Set the year to top out at 1977, set average calculation to crop the outliers, and set minimum number of reviews to 15 or 25. The first 20 or so games are pretty solid.

https://tinyurl.com/SimpleEMSort

Yep, thanks! That does a quick top quality game search. About 75% of those are in hoard, and no surprise about 50% are GTB games. All those titles I've played and bought, or wish I had or am looking. However, and important, there are hard to find titles that don't get reviews that also are well worth hunting, and restoring. Mars Trek and Cherry Bell come to mind. None of those in the result are obviously woodies, and they are cheap now and some are worth buying and having for completeness/roundness of your collection. Most are super easy to maintain as well.

1 month later
    #104 5 years ago
    Quoted from out_of_order:

A couple of my personal favorites that I have not seen mentioned so far :
    wms Aztec
    wms Space Mission or Odyssey
    sonic Prospector
    wms Travel Time
    Bally Aladdins Castle
    sonic Faces
    gottlieb Jet Spin
    wms Pat Hand
    wms Dealers Choice

The reason these haven't been mentioned is likely they are not much for playing in most cases
    but were nice titles for beginners that were successful on route. Yes they made quite a few of many
    of these titles, but honestly from a player's perspective these games are simple or just not that good.
    The exception may be Jet Spin. For instance on your list, its clearly understood that Faces and Prospector
    are far inferior to Mars Trek. Jet Spin is far inferior to many other GTB titles. Your WMS titles are far
    inferior to ... Its just more of a matter of what we have played, and have in our collections that determines
    the collectors opinion, number produced influences that on call outs in threads like this. GetDaVic has it right,
    play people's/collections/shows games, decide for yourself. Ask two people, you get three opinions.

#106 5 years ago

<<Intentionally Left Blank>>

#116 5 years ago

Totally agree, C-37 is all artwork, the game is not even average play IMHO. Not a reason to own the game.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider SuperDaveOsbourn.
    Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-a-list?tu=SuperDaveOsbourn and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.