9 years ago

Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by DaveH
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 9 years ago

I've been clawing and scratching at my 4 Square for a while, but finally decided to ask for some help. I did finally figure out the score motor running on and on, but I still have one issue. The alternating pop bumpers don't alternate. The same one stays lit. The "alternating relay" on the bottom of the playfield stays powered. It does occasionally switch them, but for the most part just stays locked on.

So what the heck am I looking for? A switch that is stuck closed? Both pop switches on all the pops seem correct, and the pops fire fine. It should just switch the one that's lit, but won't.

Dave

#3 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

Look on the schematic and see what feeds into the Alternating relay (usually the 'A' relay). Often is something like the 0-9 unit, or something feature that scores frequently enough.
If it's fed by a mini-stepper, check to see if the mini-stepper is gunked up and not moving.

DirtFlipper! Thanks a TON! That was actually what I needed. I admit, I'm a bit of an EM repair noob. So it took me a while to trace where the wire was going (the 0-9 unit). I then opened that up and started rummaging around a bit. The coil wasn't locked on, but the bar the coil moves was stuck. I still need to pull it apart to clean it up, but just with getting it to move again I was able to actuate it to switch the alternating relay. Thanks a bunch!!! I'll play a few games of 4 Square in your honor tonight

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from DirtFlipper:

I'll drink to that. Congrats on tracking it down.

Thanks man. Once it took it apart it was a flake of metal that had come off the coil stop that was sticking in the sleeve binding everything. I filed the stop down clean and tossed a new sleeve in. Works like a champ! Thanks again for the quick help!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DaveH.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/em-4-square-alternating-pops-issue?tu=DaveH and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.