(Topic ID: 276632)

Elvria House of Horrors Topper $999.00 ?

By Join_The_Cirqus

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 390 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinchamp
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F31BDEB1-29B4-471D-AF6F-7A6D2EE244C3 (resized).jpeg
tenor-5.gif
26creepshow1-articleLarge (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200910-134450_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
hyena-laughing (resized).jpg
106D5B65-950C-41AD-BFC3-9BC530502120.gif
C6F39EE3-75BD-42EE-A248-BFD883C02897 (resized).jpeg
ElviraTopper_DeadFlip (resized).jpg
AE5635F3-55F8-4B7E-B484-3F1D584E93AF (resized).jpeg
Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
glass (resized).jpg
70365D21-CE68-4E7C-A241-E3AE69922C5B (resized).jpeg
rps20200907_213320 (resized).jpg

There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.
#301 3 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

That's just it. You could buy a premium and save a bunch of money but you have to have the "nicest" version. This is the "nicest" topper you can get for your pin. Everyone complains about these expensive toppers but they always sell out.

But the only thing making this topper “worth” $999 is it’s artificial rarity. Nothing to do with it being the best. If the market knew this would be in production for ever, there no way it could command this price. I would argue the only thing making any Stern topper worth their current price is the inability or unwillingness of Stern to make enough of them. They’re now turning that shortcoming into a “feature”. It’s no longer “we can’t organise ourselves to make enough of these toppers”. It’s “these are Limited Edition toppers” and therefore “worth” more.

#302 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

But the only thing making this topper “worth” $999 is it’s artificial rarity. Nothing to do with it being the best. If the market knew this would be in production for ever, there no way it could command this price. I would argue the only thing making any Stern topper worth their current price is the inability or unwillingness of Stern to make enough of them. They’re now turning that shortcoming into a “feature”. It’s no longer “we can’t organise ourselves to make enough of these toppers”. It’s “these are Limited Edition toppers” and therefore “worth” more.

I didn't say it was the best. Rarity is not artificial if indeed only $200. That's the whole LE racket. You pay more because of the rarity. The market responds and values that rarity. It's no longer rare and desirable if you make a ton of them. I doubt Stern would sell a ton of these toppers if price $500-$750 or whatever. Might as well make it exclusive and add value by just putting a number on it. I agree it's all ridiculous but the market will decide if there is value in $1000 toppers.

#303 3 years ago
Quoted from BMore-Pinball:

anybody remember what a $400 topper looked like?
Glass box, lights, molded heads
[quoted image]

I think I remeber reading that the heads were even designed by the main SPFX/makeup guy from the show, Greg Nicotero.

#304 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think I remeber reading that the heads were even designed by the main SPFX/makeup guy from the show, Greg Nicotero.

Greg from Walking Dead?

#305 3 years ago

look at the ads at bottom of this thread. Almost Every le game for sale says pending. That shows there is and always will be a market for limited edition stuff.

#306 3 years ago

Remember when the JJP POTC production numbers came out and the standard edition was the most limited version? They sold more games by calling them "limited" than the regular version of the game.

#307 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

look at the ads at bottom of this thread. Almost Every le game for sale says pending. That shows there is and always will be a market for limited edition stuff.

This tells me one thing... there are way more "rich" people in the hobby then you may think.

despite all the griping and complaining LEs sell out in a day and hate to break it to you.. the topper will sell out too.

Even better most of the LEs will be a trophy and barely get played.

you are so welcome.

#308 3 years ago

I wonder how much speculation is going on with these toppers?

#309 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

U right, 3 new games a year with the cheapest option still in the hobby via the Pro. Those bastards

Yeah, enjoy that price increase from $4800 in 2014 to almost $6000 in 2020, and you get the "training wheels" version of the game.

But you get 3 game options a year so that makes it all better!!

#310 3 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Yeah, enjoy that price increase from $4800 in 2014 to almost $6000 in 2020, and you get the "training wheels" version of the game.
But you get 3 game options a year so that makes it all better!!

Your anger is misplaced.

Nobody sells a cheaper full-size commercial pinball machine than Stern and it isn't even close. WHy aren't you bitching at every other manufacturer? Their games are all much more expensive.

#311 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

WHy aren't you bitching at every other manufacturer? Their games are all much more expensive.

Because then he'd have to deal with JJP cheerleaders, which is like a Levi swarm, if you can imagine such a thing.

#312 3 years ago
Quoted from sandro:

I wonder how much speculation is going on with these toppers?

I swear one of the team members said it would unlock an additional mode like JP and it seemed to fly under the radar. But maybe I misunderstood their comment. (And a topper should add extra code if it isn't going to be mechanically impressive)

#313 3 years ago
Quoted from Royale-W-Cheese:

Greg from Walking Dead?

Yes. I actually found the topper announcement from stern that mentions it.

Screenshot_20200910-134450_Samsung Internet (resized).jpgScreenshot_20200910-134450_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg

Although he is credited as the producer for the show, his main career has been with special makeup effects. He's worked on tons movies and tv shows and is a genius at that stuff.
26creepshow1-articleLarge (resized).jpg26creepshow1-articleLarge (resized).jpg

#314 3 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Your anger is misplaced.
Nobody sells a cheaper full-size commercial pinball machine than Stern and it isn't even close. WHy aren't you bitching at every other manufacturer? Their games are all much more expensive.

Because he addressed Stern games....so I responded to his comment about Stern games....?

#315 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

This tells me one thing... there are way more "rich" people in the hobby then you may think.
despite all the griping and complaining LEs sell out in a day and hate to break it to you.. the topper will sell out too.
you are so welcome.

you read me wrong. I think its a great game, own one, and have a topper holding for me. What I meant was, people are griping about le prices, yet they sell out immediately. I tried last week to get an ehoh le, but he decided to keep. I will be buying a zepp le, if and when its made

#316 3 years ago

Paging ZACH MEMY... who's on his show defending the price of this topper once again. Zach could you come on here with your sales pitch skills and tell us all why we should pay $1000? Could you please explain point by point why this topper specifically is more high tech than say the Black Knight? Zach can't wait to here your point by point perspective.

Or maybe someone from Stern could come on and explain how a cheesy looking topper is worth $1000. While they're at it maybe they could explain why toppers no longer come with LE machines.

#317 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Paging ZACH MEMY... who's on his show defending the price of this topper once again. Zach could you come on here with your sales pitch skills and tell us all why we should pay $1000? Could you please explain point by point why this topper specifically is more high tech than say the Black Knight? Zach can't wait to here your point by point perspective.
Or maybe someone from Stern could come on and explain how a cheesy looking topper is worth $1000. While they're at it maybe they could explain why toppers no longer come with LE machines.

Who cares what Zach thinks? He’s a dealer and is going to tow the party line. I’m sure he will sell whatever allocation he gets from the 200, just like any other Stern dealer.

#318 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

you are so welcome.

Well, there's a reason that so many Pinball Podcasters and streamers are actual Medical Doctors. I mean there's Dr John (oral surgeon), Dr Pin (anesthesiologist), and I'm pretty sure one of the Loserkid guys is a doctor too. I'm not a rich guy, but in this hobby it sure seems to help.

So in my case, I hunt for deals, and fix-up and repair games. I'm happy that so many people can afford to pay the NIB tax, in my case I wait and buy my games on the 2nd-hand market, where I can retain the most value possible. It keeps the hobby affordable for me. For me, losing $1000 on resale would kill me, but for others that's no biggie.

#319 3 years ago

lots of disposable income in this hobby

#320 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Don't forget a finger needs to be pointed at the fools who buy this crap

#321 3 years ago

Its so simple, just stop buying overpriced crap and Stern will learn.

#322 3 years ago

Next pin show why not just all line up and let Gary Stern kick you directly in the nuts........

#323 3 years ago

Clearly what is needed here is a Pro, Premium and LE topper model. Toppers for everyone!

Pro topper - just a static thing, some lighting effects - low price
Premium you get some code, new mode, interacts with machine, looks same as pro topper - medium price
LE you get physical animation and the premium features.

#324 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Yes. I actually found the topper announcement from stern that mentions it.
[quoted image]
Although he is credited as the producer for the show, his main career has been with special makeup effects. He's worked on tons movies and tv shows and is a genius at that stuff.
[quoted image]

And he may be one of the nicest and coolest humans alive

#325 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

One man's crap is another man's treasure

#326 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Appreciate the shoutout. Here’s my sales pitch...buy it if you like it, don’t buy it if you don’t...

#327 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Here’s my sales pitch...buy it if you like it, don’t buy it if you don’t...

That's what it all boils down to.

If Stern can sell 200 toppers for 1000 then they absolutely should do that because there are a business. They price things to make money so they can grow and make more things to sell. If they are priced so high that they dont sell out (like maybe Star Wars toppers) then the market will react accordingly and they will lose money.

Maybe people who are upset about this should put their money where their mouth is and start their own topper business, obtain licenses, and sell toppers at razor thin margins because of their love of the hobby.

I dont understand why people get mad when they can't afford a frivolous luxury item. I would love to have the latest Tesla but I cant afford it. I dont complain and whine about it online . Instead I think to myself, "nice car, but too rich for my blood" and move on. I dont disparage other people who can afford them and buy them, good for them.

Do people go to online forums and complain about the cost of Louboutin shoes, Coach handbags, Bugatti cars, or Montblanc pens?

#328 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

If Stern can sell 200 toppers for 1000 then they absolutely should do that because there are a business. They price things to make money so they can grow and make more things to sell. If they are priced so high that they dont sell out (like maybe Star Wars toppers) then the market will react accordingly and they will lose money.
Maybe people who are upset about this should put their money where their mouth is and start their own topper business, obtain licenses, and sell toppers at razor thin margins because of their love of the hobby.
I dont understand why people get mad when they can't afford a frivolous luxury item. I would love to have the latest Tesla but I cant afford it. I dont complain and whine about it online . Instead I think to myself, "nice car, but too rich for my blood" and move on. I dont disparage other people who can afford them and buy them, good for them.
Do people go to online forums and complain about the cost of Louboutin shoes, Coach handbags, Bugatti cars, or Montblanc pens?

Why only 200?

#329 3 years ago
Quoted from Dr-pin:

Why only 200?

If its limited it's more likely to sell out due to the "fear of missing out" factor. The tricky part for them is to figure how many is just enough but not too much.

I thought on one of the podcasts they said inital run of 200 but didnt explicitly say there might not be more runs in the future based on demand. Maybe I heard that wrong?

#330 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Because there are many cars of all price ranges to choose from. Pinball is a hobby we all enjoy, It’s an escape. A car isn’t really an escape. Because pinball is so addictive and so fun, in my opinion, it’s different than being priced out on a vehicle. I can still buy a great vehicle I can fall in love with. In pinball, there’s certain themes we love, so it’s hard to say no. it’s very difficult to just say I’m not buying. We’re kind of stuck either having to spend the money on a theme or game we want, or not doing it. There aren’t a lot of choices, especially since Stern makes fun machines, and we love pinball. I think that’s where the anger comes from. We love pinball so much, that it hurts when it keeps going up in price. Toppers crossed the line for me. It’s not the amount really, it’s the principal. It doesn’t seem worth what’s being asked, in my mind, but some people don’t care, so people get upset. It reminds me of people in Washington, where I would visit. They didn’t like people from California, because they were driving the price of housing up. Yeah, we can just say I’m not buying, but it’s upsetting that some people will and it prices us out. It’s how business works, Sure, but I understand being upset about it. Especially since some people have been in the hobby for a long time and prices have risen to an uncomfortable high.

#331 3 years ago

One of the cool things about this hobby is if you spend 9k on a new NIB LE you really arent losing a full 9K. If you decide to sell it you will get a lot of your money back.

Even in a worst case scenario if you buy a real bomb like Sterns WWE you'd probably get 1/2 your money back. But in most cases you lose maybe 1 or 2K after a year or two. Most people can swallow that kind of loss considering they got the full NIB experience and a year or two of unlimited play. If you buy lightly used games you typically lose even less.

Looks like that's happening now with Sterns toppers resale value. If you sell it you will likely get most of your money back.

#332 3 years ago

I love people pointing to the rich people in the hobby... You don't need a pinball machine, you want one. The whole hobby is disposable income. Large or small, none of us need these machines. Nor toppers for said machines.

Stern runs a business. Vote with your dollars.

#333 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

One of the cool things about this hobby is if you spend 9k on a new NIB LE you really arent losing a full 9K. If you decide to sell it you will get a lot of your money back.
Even in a worst case scenario if you buy a real bomb like Sterns WWE you'd probably get 1/2 your money back. But in most cases you lose maybe 1 or 2K after a year or two. Most people can swallow that kind of loss considering they got the full NIB experience and a year or two of unlimited play. If you buy lightly used games you typically lose even less.
Looks like that's happening now with Sterns toppers resale value. If you sell it you will likely get most of your money back.

lately, all your money on le's and most toppers

#334 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Appreciate the shoutout. Here’s my sales pitch...buy it if you like it, don’t buy it if you don’t...

And that makes sense but the crybaby whiners have to bitch about something Stern related.

So, they want to buy something but ONLY if you and Stern lose money on the venture.

#335 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Quit making sense Doc, it's confusing the whiner crowd.

#336 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Zach...just put him down for one. He is gonna buy buy buy it...

#337 3 years ago
Quoted from JY64:

Like DUH! You got that right. You know there is something to be said about people having a lot of disposable income but to waste it on probably the worst looking topper I've ever seen is beyond ridiculous. Forget that Stern is once again ROBBING the fans and keeping the hard working American's struggling thru a pandemic from being able to buy it. SAD!

Quoted from kidchrisso:

Zach...just put him down for one. He is gonna buy buy buy it..

I already asked him to call me dude give him my number... I can't wait to talk to him. I want to be featured on Pinball cribs I'm telling you, if I have to buy the worst topper in history for $1000 I'll do it!

Quoted from ZMeny:

Zach, Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. Now could you tell me if you personally like it and if you think its worth $1000 and why. Could you answer that one? Seriously I would really like to hear your honest answer.

#338 3 years ago

I thought I would stay away from this topper, but now I have to rethink it again. Last time drfrightner was so passionate against a STERN Product was against Black Knight SOR. I got a BK prem no matter how much he talked it down in this forum and it still is one of my favourite games of all time.
Now he puts all his hate again into something that nobody here has seen so far.

#339 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

the worst looking topper I've ever seen is beyond ridiculous.

Maybe wait and see what it does and how it looks in person or at least better photographs before passing judgement.

Quoted from drfrightner:

Stern is once again ROBBING the fans and keeping the hard working American's struggling thru a pandemic from being able to buy it. SAD!

LOL!

tenor-5.giftenor-5.gif
#340 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

Like DUH! You got that right. You know there is something to be said about people having a lot of disposable income but to waste it on probably the worst looking topper I've ever seen is beyond ridiculous. Forget that Stern is once again ROBBING the fans and keeping the hard working American's struggling thru a pandemic from being able to buy it. SAD!

I already asked him to call me dude give him my number... I can't wait to talk to him. I want to be featured on Pinball cribs I'm telling you, if I have to buy the worst topper in history for $1000 I'll do it!

Zach, Thanks for the reply. Appreciate it. Now could you tell me if you personally like it and if you think its worth $1000 and why. Could you answer that one? Seriously I would really like to hear your honest answer.

Hey hey, you’ve cut back on the number of words you type! Happy to see it! I actually almost read most of this one.

3 weeks later
#341 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If it's just a static image i'll buy it and blow it up with my shotgun just to "protest" it!

It looks like you may need to get your shotgun out ...

#342 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

It looks like you may need to get your shotgun out ...

Looks like it might be a backlit graphic,kinda like a mini backbox?

It will be interesting to see if the topper's interactivity is just opening and closing and lighting effects or if it also unlocks a mode or feature in the game itself.

#343 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Looks like it might be a backlit graphic,kinda like a mini backbox?
It will be interesting to see if the topper's interactivity is just opening and closing and lighting effects or if it also unlocks a mode or feature in the game itself.

Impatiently waiting for details. If the center isn’t an LCD there had better be a pretty significant “topper only” game play mode to (somewhat) justify the price.

#344 3 years ago

Sterns Elvira is an awesome pin but the topper looks like a $50 lawn ornament sold at Halloween USA.

#345 3 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Sterns Elvira is an awesome pin but the topper looks like a $50 lawn ornament sold at Halloween USA.

There’s more detail and pics of the topper on the owner’s thread if you are interested.

#346 3 years ago

Omg, you guys see the unboxing on SDTM? It’s even lamer than we thought it could be.
Not only is it NOT an lcd, but it opens like 2”!!!!

Decide for yourselves.

Where’s EricHadley ......this seems like just the sort of overpriced and underpowered topper you’d lose sleep over!

#347 3 years ago

Well it is close to Halloween so trick or treat. Trick is on all those suckers who shelled out 1K for that blinky light show. The pop scare is cute but not for that price.

#348 3 years ago
Quoted from Pickle:

Well it is close to Halloween so trick or treat. Trick is on all those suckers who shelled out 1K for that blinky light show. The pop scare is cute but not for that price.

Decent $500 topper I guess.

#349 3 years ago

I didn’t even pop on the Kiss topper. It’s a little ridiculous considering Kiss is on the back glass and all over the playfield. I think it was 4 or maybe $500. No knock on the people that are happy with the Elvira topper but it’s not worth 1K.

#350 3 years ago

Looking at the video, I think it looks better than what I was expecting. Then again I knew people were only dreaming thinking it was a video screen inside. As for it only partially opening, from the player's viewing angle looking up at the topper, it should be about right to give a peak. The lighting is nice and it seems to be made of heavy molded material and not the cheap foam that lawn ornaments are made out of.

As for worth... Any item is worth what people are willing to pay for it. With only 200 available for a rich man's game to begin with, I would imagine that they will always sell for at least $1000 if someone wanted to get their money back down the road. I don't have an Elvira, but I would certainly snap up one of the toppers before they are gone if I did. It's a cool topper with interactive lighting and sounds that will hold its value, so why not?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods
Sound/Speakers
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
Side Gig Studios
Other
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Corona, CA
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Sound/Speakers
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions
Other
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions
Decals
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn
Decorations
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 100.00
Playfield - Other
JuanSolo's modshop
Other
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations
Decals
10,000 (Firm)
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 19.00
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 7 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvria-house-of-horrors-topper-99900-/page/7?hl=napoleon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.