(Topic ID: 276632)

Elvria House of Horrors Topper $999.00 ?

By Join_The_Cirqus

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 390 posts
  • 149 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by pinchamp
  • Topic is favorited by 18 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

F31BDEB1-29B4-471D-AF6F-7A6D2EE244C3 (resized).jpeg
tenor-5.gif
26creepshow1-articleLarge (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20200910-134450_Samsung Internet (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
hyena-laughing (resized).jpg
106D5B65-950C-41AD-BFC3-9BC530502120.gif
C6F39EE3-75BD-42EE-A248-BFD883C02897 (resized).jpeg
ElviraTopper_DeadFlip (resized).jpg
AE5635F3-55F8-4B7E-B484-3F1D584E93AF (resized).jpeg
Unknown-4 (resized).jpeg
glass (resized).jpg
70365D21-CE68-4E7C-A241-E3AE69922C5B (resized).jpeg
rps20200907_213320 (resized).jpg
There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 3 years ago
Quoted from Hazoff:

8 ball = 3 bills
A good quality Side Walk Sally 300 an hour so it would be fun but not for long.
This is what I've heard anyway.
Don't buy toppers. For me anyway I think they make pins look cheese. If u like them then hey, we all like different cheeses. I would much rather have the option to buy a kit that added a spinner or under PF magnets that actually impact gameplay. Armor and Shakers and Add on toys? Nah. To each his own.

Well this would suggest to me uv never partaken in that activity before. If u know what ur doing then that's a non issue.

Ya not much interest in hookers or drugs, but to each his own. At least I can sell topper if I don't like, and std's are forever

#102 3 years ago

Trying to figure out what it might do based on the one pic we've seen and a the big price jump. All this is purely speculation on my part.

We know it has an open and close action since that shows up in the diagnostics menu. To do that it needs a motor or coil as well as a couple switches to let the game know what position it's in. That means at least 2 boards, the main topper interface board and a switch/LED/coil driver board. If they use a stepper motor instead of a coil that would require a third motor controller board. If they can't fit those 2 or 3 boards in the relatively thin looking topper then they also would need a mounting plate that installs in the backbox above the CPU.

The topper doesnt seem thick enough to have a mechanism to make the gargoyls jump and down so I'm guessing they are stationary.

It also appears there is a seem between the center part of the topper and the middle section. So.Im thinking this is the section that flios up. The middle section is pretty thin so an animatronic dead head and its required mechanics seems unlikely to fit in there. What would easily fit there is an LCD screen. This would likely also also require another node board (Batman66 needed a dedicated node board for the villain vision TV).

So if there as many as 4 boards plus a large LCD, that could be the reason for the higher cost as compared to other recent toppers. Still a hefty markup when you look at the BOM cost but it's probably scaling appropriately compared to the other toppers for 400 to 600 that only have a 1 or 2 boards, no movement, and no LCD.

If they are limitimg it to only 200 units as rumored its seems unlikely they would be significant content that would be exclusive to the topper. It just wouldnt make sense to spend the resources to add add a really cool new game play mode that only 200 owners would get to experience. So my guess is if there is exclusive content its fun but basic, like the goat mode with the JP topper.

But there is something they could do that I think would enhance gameplay for the topper owners which probably wouldnt require a significant coding effort.

My guess is that it has a flip up LCD that displays the floating dead heads on the topper LCD instead of having them on the main LCD. Many owners seem to be annoyed by the floating deadheads cluttering up the main display. So if they moved them to only be up on the topper screen that might look pretty cool. Even cooler would be a peppers ghost type setup where the floating head looked translucent (think RFM or Ghostbusters googles effect). Those hologram toppers could be used here as well but i think they to loud.

Elvira-Topper-scaled-e1597163051108.jpeg (resized).jpgElvira-Topper-scaled-e1597163051108.jpeg (resized).jpg
#103 3 years ago

I will wait till tilttopper designs one it will be 1/4 of the price

#104 3 years ago

Don't blame the JP topper buyers for $1K toppers, blame every person who ever spent any money on a mod for their pin. Actually if you want to blame someone for this, blame the guy who put a McDonalds piano on a TZ back in the RGP days and got ripped for selling them on ebay... blame that guy!

I had to google this... the overpriced "mods" argument has been going on for almost two decades... seriously... blame the piano guy

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/rec.games.pinball/twilight$20zone$20piano%7Csort:date/rec.games.pinball/oq2vgoa_7UM/-Gx4lPNdfmgJ

#105 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Yeah no kidding I mean even if we saw this when it opens, it's still worth only about 500.00 tops.[quoted image]

Come on ZMeny pull some strings and make this happen!

#106 3 years ago

FWIW - Had the $999 Stern list price confirmed by two other dealers.

Was hoping that the LSOG price was indeed just a placeholder but no such luck.

#107 3 years ago

Is Elvria like some sort of knock-off Elvira?

#108 3 years ago

I can hear this selling out already.

#109 3 years ago

Ok pix was removed so i deleted my post as not to get anyone in trouble with the powers to be.

There was revealing topper pix posted.

#110 3 years ago
Quoted from GTO:

Is Elvria like some sort of knock-off Elvira?

Yet another knock off

36ECC85F-14D1-46A1-8F20-9FBC88B78269 (resized).jpeg36ECC85F-14D1-46A1-8F20-9FBC88B78269 (resized).jpeg
#112 3 years ago

Anyone remember the SNL commercial for the Mercury Mistress starring Chris Parnell? For $1000, it better be able to do what the Mercury Mistress does.

(The Mercury Mistress commercial that I'm referring to must've been banned long ago since you can only find it on sites that you've never heard of.)

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/xnpbn

#113 3 years ago

Double post. Sorry.

#114 3 years ago

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like there may be an LCD under the middle section. For $1k, it better be an LCD.

#115 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Hard to tell for sure but it looks like there may be an LCD under the middle section. For $1k, it better be an LCD.

Doubt it, unless that image is already burned into a disconnected screen

#116 3 years ago

I’m in on this topper!

#117 3 years ago

Doubt it, unless that image is already burned into a disconnected screen

What makes you think the wires shown aren’t connected?

#118 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What makes you think the wires shown aren’t connected?

Nothing in the photo indicates that any power is on, there should be at least some GI illumination to it whether in the crypt sign or gargoyles etc. There does appear to a cat5e cable and a power cable.

Plus I saw a pix of it being held in hand so I knew it wasn't attached. However that's either a vent under Elvira artwork or maybe a speaker grill? In addition it looks like vent holes might be under the gargoyles as well.

#119 3 years ago

If it’s an lcd screen that’s pretty cool. If it’s a static image, that’s the lamest topper I’ve seen.

#120 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m in on this topper!

Quoted from EricHadley:

But at any rate i don’t get the rush to buy the LE,

Doesn’t understand the rush to buy an LE but buys a sight unseen $1k topper before release. Um...

Got to be trolling?

#121 3 years ago

Surprise!!!!

DA33F98B-012A-446C-A911-40963BA35B99 (resized).jpegDA33F98B-012A-446C-A911-40963BA35B99 (resized).jpeg3D6A366F-2885-473C-A796-9CBE1ED649AE (resized).jpeg3D6A366F-2885-473C-A796-9CBE1ED649AE (resized).jpeg
#122 3 years ago

Wait, boy or girl? I can’t tell?

#123 3 years ago

Nothing in the photo indicates that any power is on, there should be at least some GI illumination to it whether in the crypt sign or gargoyles etc. There does appear to a cat5e cable and a power cable.
Plus I saw a pix of it being held in hand so I knew it wasn't attached. However that's either a vent under Elvira artwork or maybe a speaker grill? In addition it looks like vent holes might be under the gargoyles as well.

How would you explain the eyes on the right side if there is no power? Here is the Stern pic from November:
1A785E24-C0D6-4420-8B38-ECB85418A4EE (resized).jpeg1A785E24-C0D6-4420-8B38-ECB85418A4EE (resized).jpeg

267540B1-F095-4AB1-89BA-ED143FDE0848 (resized).jpeg267540B1-F095-4AB1-89BA-ED143FDE0848 (resized).jpeg8A7E871B-5210-4459-8933-605BAAD76200 (resized).jpeg8A7E871B-5210-4459-8933-605BAAD76200 (resized).jpeg
#124 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Surprise!!!!
[quoted image][quoted image]

I wonder if their is like a peepers ghost effect going on under their?

#125 3 years ago

Stern is on to something with all of us. They have us figured out. Expensive, limited and rare. All must haves for pinball addicts. They need to figure out how to incorporate the - “I got a good deal” side of things while still screw!ng us. Once that happens, it’s over. We will all be broke.

#126 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

I wonder if their is like a peepers ghost effect going on under their?

More than likely just semi-transparent plastic and backlit.

Looks like some sort of LED light bar too inside the opening chest area..

#127 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

How would you explain the eyes on the right side if there is no power? Here is the Stern pic from November:
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

The decals are different on the latest production leaked photo versus the early teaser photo which they changed it a bit. Now those eyes might light up when the trunk is open to lock a ball, or maybe one set of eyes light when one ball is locked then the other sets lights when the second locks and starts trunk multiball etc...

#128 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

If it’s an lcd screen that’s pretty cool. If it’s a static image, that’s the lamest topper I’ve seen.

If it's just a static image i'll buy it and blow it up with my shotgun just to "protest" it!

#129 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Doesn’t understand the rush to buy an LE but buys a sight unseen $1k topper before release. Um...
Got to be trolling?

Pretty sure he is not the one trolling. This is all fairly simple. Only 200 toppers. If you buy one, it will be a fun addition to the game regardless of how much it cost. A year or two from now if you sell it, you will get the $999 back out of it or maybe more no matter how many haters are lined up bashing it. So how it is not worth the price or a bad deal to the person with the money and smarts to buy one? Not many things you can buy in life that will for sure hold their value.

Lets say this thing conservatively cost Stern $50,000 to design and program; that is $250 per unit before you even factor in the BOM. Low production run means higher per unit cost. I seriously doubt there is any more profit percentage in this topper than the ColorDMDs we all buy. And it seriously does not look like an LCD.

#130 3 years ago
Quoted from adborto:

Stern is on to something with all of us. They have us figured out. Expensive, limited and rare. All must haves for pinball addicts. They need to figure out how to incorporate the - “I got a good deal” side of things while still screw!ng us. Once that happens, it’s over. We will all be broke.

I dont know how you guys do it. Im a pinball addict, but that doesn't mean I have to fall for limited edition stuff and extras i have no need for.

I'm thankful I'm into older pins with good entertainment value with no need to spend extra for stuff that doesnt really have any factor in the actual gameplay. It helps me to save a buck atleast.

Dont get me wrong. Will gladly play Sterns anywhere I see them. I just dont have to submit my wallet to them.

#131 3 years ago

Folks who bought the r2d2 and JP toppers set precedent for this. I’m sure these will sell out too at a grand a pop. Then $1500 will be the new ceiling.

And I thought $400 for my TWD topper was pricey! Damn. I’m an enabler from 2014.

#132 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Got to be trolling?

I’m perfectly happy with a premium game that plays the same as an LE, but I LOVE toppers. Not trolling at all. In fact the money saved buying the premium instead of the LE of SLE easily pays for the topper.

#133 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

i'll buy it and blow it up with my shotgun just to "protest" it!

3CC89742-4EE1-487C-9256-A6991E50567F.gif3CC89742-4EE1-487C-9256-A6991E50567F.gif

#134 3 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Pretty sure he is not the one trolling. This is all fairly simple. Only 200 toppers. If you buy one, it will be a fun addition to the game regardless of how much it cost. A year or two from now if you sell it, you will get the $999 back out of it or maybe more no matter how many haters are lined up bashing it. So how it is not worth the price or a bad deal to the person with the money and smarts to buy one? Not many things you can buy in life that will for sure hold their value.
Lets say this thing conservatively cost Stern $50,000 to design and program; that is $250 per unit before you even factor in the BOM. Low production run means higher per unit cost. I seriously doubt there is any more profit percentage in this topper than the ColorDMDs we all buy. And it seriously does not look like an LCD.

You don’t see the irony here? He criticizes people for buying into the LE Hype then buys this $1000 sight unseen LE topper.

There is no way the BOM stacks up on this. It’ll sell on pure hype and simply because it’s limited. Exactly like the LE model for games.

#135 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

If it's just a static image i'll buy it and blow it up with my shotgun just to "protest" it!

Isn’t that what you Texans do every weekend just for kicks?

#136 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

I’m perfectly happy with a premium game that plays the same as an LE, but I LOVE toppers. Not trolling at all. In fact the money saved buying the premium instead of the LE of SLE easily pays for the topper.

Fair enough. Your money. We can all try to justify spending money on this stuff. Your love for LE toppers that don’t affect gameplay is the same as others love for LE games that have extra features that don’t affect gameplay. If the topper was the extra LE feature, you’d be all over an LE game.

Anyway. Enjoy your topper. I’m just trying to find an Elvira LE game.

#137 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Isn’t that what you Texans do every weekend just for kicks?

Well, right now I have to shoot some
Hogs tearing up my front yard

#138 3 years ago

"Hey dude. Did you get the new iPhone?"
"Nah dude. I was gonna but then Stern, the global lifestyle brand, released an Elvira topper."

#139 3 years ago

We all can see this is highly overpriced BS. However I think we still have not hit the price ceiling yet. I bet all of these will sell out just like the JP topper did. People that bought a signature edition will want it for their game you watch and see.

#140 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

[quoted image]

Check out her toppers!

#141 3 years ago

It only takes 200 people in the world to sell out

#142 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It only takes 200 people in the world to sell out

Only 199 more, cause i bought one! And I LOVE IT!

#143 3 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

People that bought a signature edition will want it for their game you watch and see.

Agree. Built in LE audience with each release- which is why there is no real ceiling on price.
Genius for Stern.

#144 3 years ago
Quoted from phalcon_2600:

We all can see this is highly overpriced BS. However I think we still have not hit the price ceiling yet. I bet all of these will sell out just like the JP topper did. People that bought a signature edition will want it for their game you watch and see.

No question. $999 was a bit timid Stern.

#145 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Only 199 more, cause i bought one! And I LOVE IT!

Serious question- do you know what it does yet?

#146 3 years ago
Quoted from underlord:

Folks who bought the r2d2 and JP toppers set precedent for this. I’m sure these will sell out too at a grand a pop. Then $1500 will be the new ceiling.
And I thought $400 for my TWD topper was pricey! Damn. I’m an enabler from 2014.

And yet, the topper for TWD is fetching nearly $1000 now as well. Crazy...

#147 3 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

It has to have an LCD to justify the price.

My guess is that pic shows a static image because it was just a prototype to test the mechanics of it and didn't have a working LCD in it yet.

#148 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

It has to have an LCD to justify the price.
My guess is that pic shows a static image because it was just a prototype to test the mechanics of it and didn't have a working LCD in it yet.

You gotta be right Doc!

#149 3 years ago

The one thing that I wasn't sure about was the aspect ratio. That teaser pic shows the image going across the entire middle section. I didnt think they made LCD's with an aspect ratio like that. I'm guessing around 16" wide by about 5" high give or take.

However a quick Google search shows that there are indeed ultrawide LCD displays. They arent cheap so that would also support a reason for the price hike.

rps20200904_224741 (resized).jpgrps20200904_224741 (resized).jpg
#150 3 years ago

History repeating?

The bubble logic that drove the tulipomania craze of the 16th century has now since acquired a name: “the greater fool theory.” Although by any conventional measure it was folly to pay thousands for a tulip bulb (or for that matter a pinball topper), as long as there is an even greater fool out there willing to pay even more, doing so is the most logical thing in the world.”

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

10,000 (Firm)
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

There are 390 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvria-house-of-horrors-topper-99900-/page/3?hl=brettv and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.