You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image (resized).jpg
image (resized).jpg
IMG_5485 (resized).JPG
IMG_5483 (resized).JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 6 years ago

I have an Elvis that had the wrong coil for the trough kickout. (Photo below.)
It had a 23-700 coil installed that was way to strong.
The manual calls for a 26-1200 coil with diode.
I ordered what I thought was the correct coil from Marco with a diode. I got the AO-26-1200
Installed the new coil and blew the fuse instantly.
I noticed the diode on the coil was not the same direction on the new coil so I swapped the wiring, putting the thicker yellow wire to the banded side just like the old coil.
Same problem. No ball kickout and the fuse will eventually blow.
Did I order the wrong type of coil? is the AO portion not correct as I noticed there were other prefixes available.
Any help appreciated.
Here are the photo of the new coil installed and one of the old coil.

IMG_5483 (resized).JPGIMG_5483 (resized).JPG

IMG_5485 (resized).JPGIMG_5485 (resized).JPG

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Quick question. So no fuse blowing till the coil was swapped correct? Now instant or it blows after a few firing cycles.

Correct. It worked great with the wrong coil installed.
It takes awhile for the fuse to blow now. not instant.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

The coil you purchased is a generic type coil that has the correct power output as the stock one. Any time you buy any generic replacement part you need to pay close attention to the diode orientation. Now that it was hooked up in reverse it was a dead short until the fuse burnt. Fuses do not save electronic parts from burning out they just stop the wiring from catching fire. With a dead short you will now need to replace the coil diode and the driver and predriver on the cpu board. The coil will be fine tho.

I can replace the transistor and pre driver. No problem
I guess my question so this does not happen again is, can I leave the coil wired the way it is now, replace the diode, and be just fine or do I need to order an exact stern replacement coil. I did not see one on Marco's site.

Looks like it is the Q1 transistor. I have plenty of IRL540N transistors from Pinball Life on hand for that.
Not 100% on the pre driver as I cant read the fine print in the manual at the moment.

#10 6 years ago

Thanks Grumpy.
Awesome info.
Do you know what pre driver part I need. I may have it on hand but can't read my manual at the moment.
Really appreciate all the great info.
Can't believe I caused all this trouble for want of double checking a diode. I just thought they were all installed the same direction.
Guess I have just been lucky all these years because I have changed out tons of coils and never had this craziness.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from GRUMPY:

You will need to replace Q-1 on the I/O power driver board, STP20N10L Mosfet. And the coil diode, 1n4007.

Finally had some time to work on this today.
Measured the Q1 transistor against all the others and got the exact same readings.
So I took a chance that it was still good and just replaced the diode on the coil.
Bingo. Back in business.
I will never just wire a coil up the same direction as the old one again if it has a diode across.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

6,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, MA
$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
€ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider arcade.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvis-trough-coil-help-needed?tu=arcade and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.