Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by terryb
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

So I picked up a Elvis last week. It has a new display and a Rottendog board. When I first go it home and started playing I notice every once in a while the display would not come on when I would turn the game off. I would flip the power switch again and the display would come on.

Well I have notice the more I play I probably have a 50/50 chance of the display coming on. The display also just started to freeze up during a game. The game sound and play would continue but whatever was displayed on the DMD when it would freeze would just stay there until I turn the game on and off.

I checked all the plugs going to the dmd , I reseated the roms and checked the ribbon cables. Has anybody else had this problem ?

Does it possibly have something to do with the rottendog board ?

#2 10 years ago

Reverse both ends of the ribbon cables and see if the problem changes.

Or you could try moving the cable around and tugging on the cable near the connectors to see if that causes the problem.

Inspect the solder joints on the connector's male pins.

Reseat any socketed IC's relating to the DMD.

#3 10 years ago

Well I reversed both ends of the ribbon cables and nothing. I also reseated the sockets still nothing.

#4 10 years ago

Check the voltages at the display.

Did you inspect the ribbon cable solder joints? Sometimes small cracks are hard to see and it's easier just to reflow the connectors.

#5 10 years ago

Try switching the DMD with one of your known working ones to rule out that possibility

#6 10 years ago

Well I checked the voltages and I am getting right around almost 5 volts. It was 4 something. I dont remember exactly.

I reflowed the solder joints .

I also put in a know working DMD and still the same result.

I think it might be the dmd driver board that sits onto of the DMD. I have a buddy with a RCT that is going to let me borrow his driver board and see if that is the problem.

#7 10 years ago

Sounds like the next step.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

6,850 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Quincy, MA
€ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
€ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvis-tech-help-display-keeps-freezing-up and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.