(Topic ID: 306169)

Elvis - no display of current level of Game Code?

By TeeJayN

2 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 2 years ago

A friend of mine bought a nice Elvis Gold and wanted to install a ColorDMD. As always I needed to make sure that the game had the latest CPU and Display EPROM code. In every Stern game I've worked on, during boot up it would always show the current CPU and Display revision. But the Elvis did not. The label on the EPROM was the only way to tell and it was old - V3.01. The latest version is v5.0 so I assumed when I burned, labeled, and installed new EPROMs I'd now see the version v5.0 on the display during boot.
Nope. Nothing.
The game plays fine but why no display of the current code level during boot? Is this common just for Elvis? The only other boot settings that I'm aware of are the CPU dip switch settings which are correctly set for USA (all off). What am I missing?

#2 2 years ago

This post intrigued me so I checked the manual.

Exiting Portals or turning game on/off will start the Power-Up Routine. Upon Power-Up, HOLD IN THE RIGHT
FLIPPER BUTTON to view the CPU Game & Display Code Versions (+ Check-Sums), followed by the Location
& Game ID Numbers and Alerts, if any (see Sec. 3, Chp. 2, GO TO DIAGNOSTICS MENU, Technician Alerts)

Quoted from TeeJayN:

A friend of mine bought a nice Elvis Gold and wanted to install a ColorDMD. As always I needed to make sure that the game had the latest CPU and Display EPROM code. In every Stern game I've worked on, during boot up it would always show the current CPU and Display revision. But the Elvis did not. The label on the EPROM was the only way to tell and it was old - V3.01. The latest version is v5.0 so I assumed when I burned, labeled, and installed new EPROMs I'd now see the version v5.0 on the display during boot.
Nope. Nothing.
The game plays fine but why no display of the current code level during boot? Is this common just for Elvis? The only other boot settings that I'm aware of are the CPU dip switch settings which are correctly set for USA (all off). What am I missing?

#3 2 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

This post intrigued me so I checked the manual.
Exiting Portals or turning game on/off will start the Power-Up Routine. Upon Power-Up, HOLD IN THE RIGHT
FLIPPER BUTTON to view the CPU Game & Display Code Versions (+ Check-Sums), followed by the Location
& Game ID Numbers and Alerts, if any (see Sec. 3, Chp. 2, GO TO DIAGNOSTICS MENU, Technician Alerts)

Thanks for the info. Interesting! I wonder how many other titles do this? Elvis was the first I've seen. I checked Ripley's BION which was made 5 months before Elvis and the manual says: "Upon Power-Up, the CPU Game Code & Display Code versions with Check-Sums are shown, followed by the Location ID & Game ID Numbers and Alerts, if any". So no holding any buttons, it just displays on power up.

#4 2 years ago

I took all that out so the games would boot faster. I think there's also an adjustment, called Fast Boot or something like that, that will go back to the old behavior. All it was doing was waiting to show those screens, so it didn't serve a lot of purpose. But that's also why the right flipper thing is in there so you don't have to go through more rigamarole to see that stuff.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

€ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvis-no-display-of-current-level-of-game-code and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.