20170918_204230 (resized).jpg
DSC03004 (resized).JPG
DSC03003 (resized).JPG
DSC03002 (resized).JPG
DSC03001 (resized).JPG
DSC03000 (resized).JPG
DSC02999 (resized).JPG
#1 7 years ago

Having some odd issues with an Elvis that I just picked up. So far this has happened twice. During the game, a ball will drain, flippers die, and the game continues. It will show the next ball and the display and sounds keep going, but no ball gets kicked out, flippers remain dead, and lights stay on.

The first time it happened, I just shut it down and restarted it. No issues, second time it happened I went into the test menus, and checked tech alerts, it showed all ok. I went through some of the tests, and found some GI comes on with flippers and some multiple lights are coming on during single light testing.

These are not on the same circuits. And there is currently a new Rootendog driver board installed by the previous owner. Not sure if that would be the culprit. Voltages appear to be normal.

#2 7 years ago

Can you post a picture of the MPU showing the area to the left and underneath the battery pack?
I hope there is not battery corrosion.

#3 7 years ago

Yes, I'll get one in the next day or so.

#4 7 years ago

Batteries and battery hold have alkaline damage. I've removed the holder and cleaned the holes. NVRAM should be here Monday. Looking over the rest of the board, I don't think the damage spread.

Alright here's some pics:

DSC02999 (resized).JPGDSC02999 (resized).JPG

DSC03000 (resized).JPGDSC03000 (resized).JPG

DSC03001 (resized).JPGDSC03001 (resized).JPG

DSC03002 (resized).JPGDSC03002 (resized).JPG

DSC03003 (resized).JPGDSC03003 (resized).JPG

DSC03004 (resized).JPGDSC03004 (resized).JPG

#5 7 years ago

Will update when the NVRAM is installed.

#6 7 years ago

Installed NVRAM today. Played about a dozen games, power dipped on the second game, and lost all power to solenoids for a few seconds but they came back. Will keep an eye on it.

#7 7 years ago

Symptoms are back. Played for about an hour, all solenoids died several times. Will be trying to borrow a driver board locally, and go from there.

#8 7 years ago

Glad you upgraded to NVRAM.

Did your game reset?

#9 7 years ago

All settings reset after I installed the NVRAM. But when the solenoids die, the game keeps playing. All voltage LEDs remain lit except one, which is unmarked.

#10 7 years ago

Did you run the coil/flasher tests? Any issues there?

#11 7 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Did you run the coil/flasher tests? Any issues there?

Will try that tonight and see what comes up.

#12 7 years ago

That was a bust. Coil testing everything passed, when I went individually, and then when I went to cycle, everything died. So I thought it was in a coil, checked tech alerts, system came up ok, went back into to coil test cycle, and they all worked. Tested flashers, found one burnt out, replaced, no change.

May have a driver to test over the weekend. I did notice the LED in the center of the Rottendog goes out, but this LED isn't marked, other than test point three. I use it to test the voltages on the other test points, and my 50V is reading 78V right now, both with and without the LED being on. Is there a way to adjust the voltages? I'm wondering if the high voltages is causing the issue.

#13 7 years ago

So your current driver board is a Rottendog? What about the other driver board? Is it also a Rottendog and/or is it a known working board?

Swapping out driver boards is a good thing.
78v for the 50v test point sounds like it might be ok. Will see what you have with the other driver board.

#14 7 years ago

90% sure it's a Stern driver board. Will know more on Friday or Saturday when I pick it up.

#15 7 years ago

Was able to get a Stern driver board. Ran it for four hours last night, no issues.

#16 7 years ago

I d not like the rottendog driver boards. Same problems as listed in yours, Put in a stern driver, never had problems again

11 months later
#17 6 years ago

I was hoping to rekindle this thread. Its more of a board issue or Rottendog issue thread.

I swapped out my stern driver from LOTR into my Elvis. I put a rottendog into my LOTR and am having the exact same problems as described in this thread. Is there a fix? I don't simply want to toss out a rottendog board that I spent good money on. Are there components that can be upgraded or changed to fix this board?

Attached is a pic of the led that goes out when coils die.

Any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

20170918_204230 (resized).jpg20170918_204230 (resized).jpg

#18 6 years ago

Anyone having trouble with their Rottendog board failing in LOTR should try Rob's advice on this thread.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/driver-board-issue-rottendog-issue

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Pittsburgh, PA
$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 17.50
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Haus

$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy

Machine - For Sale
Seaside, OR
Cabinet - Toppers
+CY Universal

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 12.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 18.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 17.00
Cabinet - Decals
Nordic Pinball Supply

$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

Machine - For Sale
Blackwood, NJ
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvis-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.