(Topic ID: 316424)

Elvira v AIQ which would you rather have?

By rai

1 year ago

Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Jkaping
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which do you prefer?”

• AIQ 19 votes
      32%
    • EHOH 40 votes
      68%

(59 votes)

#1 1 year ago

I’m curious about these two pins, which do you prefer and why?

EHOH is a basic (AFM-ish) layout 2 simple ramps, 2 simple orbits etc.

AIQ is modern out of the box Keith layout.

#2 1 year ago

AIQ was frustrating in the wrong way. Pro didn't last long in my house, premium even less enjoyable. Music & callouts super flat. Code a bit too esoteric. Layout good on paper, clunky in execution. Too much stop & go. Art package well-executed but looks kinda like a generic Marvel product.

EHOH seems alright when I play it, simple but decent. Modes lack character; "shoot a thousand arrows" syndrome a la Transformers. Fun to let 'er rip on that fan layout during multiballs. Audio & overall vibe much better than AIQ. More unique/interesting playfield art. Cabinet art phoned in.

Having already owned & quickly sold AIQ, I have no choice but to vote EHOH.

#3 1 year ago

Completely different but, both fantastic.
    AIQ wins on a crazy layout/ramps and light show. IMO
    EHOH wins in everything else. Her layout may not look that interesting but, the little things make up for it. The code, call-outs, humor, spooky/campy vibe, music changes and interacting with the house and gargoyles is a hoot. Getting a ball locked in the trunk in its kickout is pretty random and rewarding, hitting the drop target -back to the right flipper and back to that same target into the house from time to time is one of my favorite pinball shots ever.

I would choose based on the theme your prefer because they are both amazing modern games.

I owned AIQ pro and it is probably one of the best pros out there.

EHOH is still here. She is the longest I have ever kept a pin.

#4 1 year ago

Neither are long term keepers. Elvira is ridiculously overpriced.

#5 1 year ago

AIQ! Elvira as a theme does nothing for me or anyone else in my house, missed the fascination with her by a decade or two.

AIQ as a theme hits all the right notes for me and my kids especially my son who’s really got into pinball since AIQ arrived & Deadpool.

Add music from the Avengers movies into AIQ and it lifts the game up several notches, led Zep for Thor multiball, AC/DC for Ironman multiball, avengers theme, thanos theme etc and it’s a complete game changer when it comes to the Audio which out of the box is shite, I enjoy the simple animations though so no complaints there & the game shoots really smooth, no idea how Yancy above could call it clunky, absolutely zero clunk on my LE.

#6 1 year ago

AIQ because there is so much to do!

#7 1 year ago

EHOH prefer the theme and always liked the house mech.

#8 1 year ago

Elvira. A lot deeper (and flat out fun) than you might think and whether you like the character not it’s really a classic haunted house theme which should be timeless rather than a movie of the month theme that no one will remember in a few years. And … Lyman.

#9 1 year ago

AIQ feels like a Stern while Elvira feels like a classic 90s Williams / Bally with all the modern bells and whistles. I think Elvira is well done while the AIQ animations really are lacking in my opinion.

#10 1 year ago

I’ve spent significant time on both and you are splitting hairs. Both of these games are in my top 5 games of all time.

I own an AIQ LE. It is intense. I love the theme and feel it’s integrated well (but I’m a marvel fanboy). Every shot is satisfying. When you find the shots it becomes a flow beast. The layout is incredible, the rules are like a complex strategy game that require you to think ahead and plan.

Elvira is the smoothest shooter I’ve ever played. It might be a basic layout but The geometry of each shot is literally perfect. The camp and theme integration is fantastic. So much personality… but I very quickly found myself skipping the long animations to get the ball back. The modes are fun and diverse. Everyone loves the house.

If I could only keep one it would be AIQ. I don’t think the endless ways to play it will ever get old. But Elvira HOH is a very close runner up.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-v-aiq-which-would-you-rather-have?hl=mad_dog_coin_op and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.