View topic image gallery

20170903_171720 (resized).jpg
IMG_0634.jpeg
Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 11.20.46?PM (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
ThisIsWhatYouLookLike.gif
stool covers (resized).jpg
IMG_2056 (resized).jpeg
There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 months ago

So they took a cheap $30 made in China garage stool with no backrest, used some Vinyl heat transfers, marked it up to $139 dollars. They didn’t even bother with new packaging and I could tell the box was opened and re-taped. So they bought a bunch of these $30 stools for probably $20, had one person open the package slap on some Elvira stickers basically and re-tape. I get it that Stern merch is pricey, but this is a little ridiculous and disappointing.
Thanks for the overpriced Big Red Torin Swivel Bad Stool Stern =(

IMG_2056 (resized).jpegIMG_2056 (resized).jpeg
#2 6 months ago

Thats unfortunate I guess, but what did you expect? Honestly, the box thing is the biggest surprise. Just a bad look there.

#3 6 months ago

I recently saw a bunch of companies selling a "nordic bench" for exercise and looked it up on alibaba. The mark-up on this stuff is insane. You can pay a Chinese company to rebrand the packaging. Something went wrong here.

#4 6 months ago

So your problem with this was that the sucker they found was...you?

#5 6 months ago

Wow, that is really disappointing

#6 6 months ago
Quoted from Haymaker:

Thats unfortunate I guess, but what did you expect? Honestly, the box thing is the biggest surprise. Just a bad look there.

Agreed. Stern isn't going to R&D their own proprietary stool design. Just like the sweatshirts or the water bottles, they're readily available items which have the ability to have graphics applied. I bet Stern has a pretty good relationship with their local Vistaprint/CustomInk since they do all the work and Stern just makes middleman money on the markup.

...But repackaging the stool in the OEM box is complete amateur hour BS. They DO have Packaging Engineers who should be in charge of this exact sort of thing.

(New mod company idea - buy these OEM stools, buy a bunch of cheap ass irons, create graphics, sell for $30 less than Stern as a DIY stool kit. Private island goals achieved.)

#7 6 months ago

That is absolute crap!

If you guys want a cheap arcade themed stool, the arcade1up ones go on sale from time to time for $40 on amazon/hsn/wal-mart etc. I have a Simpsons one I like. Quality looks similar to Sterns.

#8 6 months ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:

So they took a cheap $30 made in China garage stool with no backrest, used some Vinyl heat transfers, marked it up to $139 dollars. They didn’t even bother with new packaging and I could tell the box was opened and re-taped. So they bought a bunch of these $30 stools for probably $20, had one person open the package slap on some Elvira stickers basically and re-tape. I get it that Stern merch is pricey, but this is a little ridiculous and disappointing.
[quoted image]

So... Would you rather have paid $160 if you got it in a different box? All Stools use heat transfer decals AFAIK

#9 6 months ago

Stern Pinball, a lifestyle brand lol

#10 6 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

So... Would you rather have paid $160 if you got it in a different box? All Stools use heat transfer decals AFAIK

I think he was expecting it to be hand-embroidered with silk thread by a skilled crew of Chinese artisans.

#11 6 months ago

You didn't think "...this is a little ridiculous and disappointing" BEFORE plunking down 140 bucks for a stool?

#12 6 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

We "eat with our eyes" first. The consumable at the end is still the consumable. How it is presented is often where value is perceived.

Same reason you want your nice watch you bought to come in a nice box and not thrown in a wrinkly lunch paper bag.

#13 6 months ago

You missed a "b" at the end of your thread title. JTLYK

#14 6 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

We "eat with our eyes" first. The consumable at the end is still the consumable. How it is presented is often where value is perceived.
Same reason you want your nice watch you bought to come in a nice box and not thrown in a wrinkly lunch paper bag.

This is true, and sending the stool in a ratty box that isn't from Stern certainly reeks of not-giving-a-shit.

But I mean...as far as a stool with Elivra printed on it? Seems to deliver on the promised product.

#15 6 months ago

that is pretty insane if you ask me. if they were stitched that would be worth it to me.

#16 6 months ago

Try getting Customer Support as a Direct Stern consumer. Bought back-lite translite and they wouldn't fix it after it broke day 2.

This doesn't surprise me at all.

#17 6 months ago

Yeah, that’s embarassing, but not surprising.

#18 6 months ago

I had these made up several years ago, Also did the EJ pop bumper cap from Capt. Fantastic.

https://stretchablecovers.net/

stool covers (resized).jpgstool covers (resized).jpg
#19 6 months ago

Stern Pinball official game seats, brought to you by Harbor Freight at 500% the cost.

#20 6 months ago

Put it in perspective..
Once upon a time, Stern successfully sold a little piece of Elvira's couch for $5000. At least for $130 you got a full and functional stool.

#21 6 months ago

What more do you want? It's a stool with Elvira wording on it. If you want a cheap $30 stool, then go buy a cheap $30 stool.

#22 6 months ago

The value perception of the box means a lot. It's your first experience with the product. It's why Apple spends sooo much time on their packaging.

Also see the pinside marketplace and people thinking the cardboard box the game came in has value/meaning

#23 6 months ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

What more do you want? It's a stool with Elvira wording on it. If you want a cheap $30 stool, then go buy a cheap $30 stool.

I think he just wanted it to show up in a Stern box.

Don't blame him really. I mean come on!

#24 6 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

I think he just wanted it to show up in a Stern box.
Don't blame him really. I mean come on!

it makes you question if this is an officiarry ricenced product..

#25 6 months ago

It's got the TM & © right there! Surely no one would fib about that. Fair use or something

#26 6 months ago
Quoted from bigehrl:

it makes you question if this is an officiarry ricenced product..

ThisIsWhatYouLookLike.gifThisIsWhatYouLookLike.gif
#27 6 months ago

I got the stern swivel stool for Xmas and it was pretty legit. I sent this Elvira stool straight from stern to someone as a gift, I’m going to be pissed if it’s a complete piece of shit. Especially given the fact it was more than the stern stool. What assholes.

#29 6 months ago
Quoted from woody76:

send that POS back for refund

The person in Receiving won’t recognize it at a Stern product and have it returned to sender.

#30 6 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

The person in Receiving won’t recognize it at a Stern product and have it returned to sender.

Haha this is great. So true. Then you’ll end up out $140 plus a stool. I knew I shouldn’t have trusted stern. Just sucks that’s the quality/experience you get from ordering right from their site.

#31 6 months ago

Last time I’ll order from Stern as well. I felt pretty dumb getting a cheap stool with stickers. All my other arcade stools are custom printed covers and cost half the price. I’m even more disappointed with the rude comments in this thread and serves a reminder why I don’t frequent Pinside much anymore.

#32 6 months ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:We "eat with our eyes" first. The consumable at the end is still the consumable. How it is presented is often where value is perceived.

LOL! That would give me pause

#33 6 months ago

were you Horrified

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#35 6 months ago

I'd find a way to have Cassandra Peterson sign it: "I paid for a new seat and they sent me a stool!" - Elvira xo

#36 6 months ago

Stern tax A lot of companies do this. Big Green Egg stuff that cost twice the money is rebranded.

#37 6 months ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

That is absolute crap!

Quoted from woody76:

send that POS back for refund

When I saw the title of this thread I thought Stern had come up with a really strange marketing strategy to try and sell more units of this pin…EHOH Stool Sample edition.

#38 6 months ago
Quoted from RyanStl:

Stern tax A lot of companies do this. Big Green Egg stuff that cost twice the money is rebranded.

But it comes in a big green egg box for the big green egg price. Lol

#39 6 months ago

At least Stern had the motivation to change the boxes on the Godzilla Cake Topper that they resold as a Pinball topper.. just wish they would have splurged on a better zip-tie though.

Good old Stern lol.

Screenshot 2024-01-02 at 11.20.46?PM (resized).pngScreenshot 2024-01-02 at 11.20.46?PM (resized).png
#40 6 months ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:So they took a cheap $30 made in China garage stool with no backrest, used some Vinyl heat transfers, marked it up to $139 dollars. They didn’t even bother with new packaging and I could tell the box was opened and re-taped. So they bought a bunch of these $30 stools for probably $20, had one person open the package slap on some Elvira stickers basically and re-tape. I get it that Stern merch is pricey, but this is a little ridiculous and disappointing.
[quoted image]

Wow it looks like Stern really phoned this one in, maybe it’s time for you to make a phone call!

IMG_0634.jpegIMG_0634.jpeg
#41 6 months ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:

[quoted image]

Maybe it's a "Stool Sample".

#42 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

wait what? I read the first few comments, thinking this was an eBay deal...this is a STERN release????????

#43 6 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is dead to me.

They forget good times do not last.

#44 6 months ago

I read the title of the thread and was wondering if there was a new SLE where she craps in a box and sends you an Elvira “stool”.

#45 6 months ago

We’re lucky Stern pins don’t come in a Chinese vending machine box… (but give Seth time)

#46 6 months ago

All of the stern lifestyle products are overpriced. A shot glass for $10. A pair of socks for $16. Gimme a break.

#47 6 months ago
Quoted from jackd104:

All of the stern lifestyle products are overpriced. A shot glass for $10. A pair of socks for $16. Gimme a break.

They forgot to send the socks with my order…. Lol not kidding

#48 6 months ago

The fact that Stern sold even one of these stools literally proves the old saying “Theres an ass for every seat”.

#49 6 months ago

THat blows -

Cant see it real good, but I paid $25 each w free shipping for the KISS barstool in the pic, grabbed a pair when they were on sale.

20170903_171720 (resized).jpg20170903_171720 (resized).jpg
#50 6 months ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

THat blows -
Cant see it real good, but I paid $25 each w free shipping for the KISS barstool in the pic, grabbed a pair when they were on sale.
[quoted image]

If you could provide me a link on those, I have been trying to find a Destroyer stool at a reasonable price for a while. Thanks, RC

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 12.95
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

9,000 (Firm)
$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 10,499.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
Farmingville, NY
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

There are 60 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.