IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vernisious.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#9359 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Still having issues with the Tiki mode (hit either ramp X times). Things seem normal when not in that "mode" but as soon as you hit the right ramp, the count goes from 5 ramp hits needed all the way to the mode starting - in one ramp. And then during the mode, it is constantly registering points. Once mode is over, behavior goes back to normal. The second time, you need 7 ramp hits, but hitting the right ramp once (sometimes twice) starts the Tiki thing again and the constant scoring starts.
It kinda behaves like a stuck/flakey switch, but there are no odd ramp switch triggers in switch test mode, and the constant trigger thing isn't happening between Tiki modes.
Someone suggested I reinstall software. I did the update (not the quick one, whichever option takes the longest), nothing changed. Should I do the new/full SD card version or is there something in the game to look at?

I'm pretty sure it's the power connections to your right ramp opto switch. If you do a switch test and roll a ball past the right ramp opto I bet you'll hear multiple beeps. If you can activate the opto with your finger you'll probably hear multiple rather than just one solid beep. If you do, you'll want to check the connections that power that opto, clean the opto, and lastly replace it. I'll see if I can find what connections to reseat in the manual...

Edit: There are a couple connections leading to CN13. Make sure they have a good connection. You can also adjust the small chip on the right side of the opto to line it up better. It has something to do with that opto not having a solid connection, it's dirty, or not lined up. My guess is the connection.
SmartSelect_20210730-213317_Drive (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20210730-213317_Drive (resized).jpg
SmartSelect_20210730-213254_Drive (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20210730-213254_Drive (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20210730-214522_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20210730-214522_Gallery (resized).jpg

#9361 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Awesome, thanks for the info, I'll look into this.
Any idea why this would cause the constant scoring thing while in the Tiki mode? I can understand how what you're saying would cause the multiple triggers on the ramp hit, but not sure why Tiki mode explodes with points and then the constant scoring stops when the mode ends.

Tiki mode is scored by hitting the ramps. So the opto is giving you ghost hits.
I had a similar issue with an opto on Metallica. It would score numerous sparky hits for one hit. The connection for the opto was loose and not providing consistent power.

#9365 2 years ago
Quoted from freegame450:

Recently joined the club. I had the same problem as above. Noticed others on this thread talking about issues with the right ramp opto next to the crypt. I removed my right ramp and found the opto to be securely tight in place, but substantially out of alignment with the holes in the ramp that the opto looks through. See pics. I can’t believe that this sort of stuff gets put on new machines. Easiest fix for me was to make the sight holes a little bigger so the opto could do its job. Factory hole size was approx. 3/16” dia. I carefully opened them up to 5/16” dia. Now all is GOOD and LOVING my new toy.[quoted image][quoted image]

I would try the above fix Cheeks
The opto alignment seems problematic on this pin.

#9372 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Have seen lots of discussion about not working Gargoyle target, but wondering if I have a unique issue not covered before. I have found this issue in my New In Box that I received last week.
My house left target (left Gargoyle) remains active all the time in test and will not register in the game. This is happening regardless of whether the switch contacts are touching or not touching. I have determined that the L-shaped gargoyle metal cover that sits on and wraps around the gargoyle switch assembly is making contact with the rivet on the back of the switch assembly and, for some unknown reason, this contact is causing the switch to register as active. Since the L shaped cover sits on top of the switch assembly, the target remains active and the gargoyle will not register any hits (won't give credit for hitting the 'g' left gargoyle target). If I block the contact between the rivet and the L-shaped cover, then the switch registers fine, but it is impossible to prevent this contact from happening if the switch and gargoyle are set up in the game as they are supposed to be. I looked at the wiring and the switch is wired the same as all 3 other gargoyle targets, so not an obvious wiring issue.
The distributor I bought the game from looked at the game and came to the same conclusion regarding what was causing the problem, but his fix lasted for only one game, and the issue has returned.
So, is this most likely a bad gargoyle assembly, an indirect grounding/wiring issue, an issue with the node board, or possibly any of these (or something else)?
Has anyone else encountered this problem with a Gargoyle target?

I am having the same issue. NIB game. I'm not sure how to address it either. I was going to take the switch off and reinstall and get a good look.

#9373 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

Have seen lots of discussion about not working Gargoyle target, but wondering if I have a unique issue not covered before. I have found this issue in my New In Box that I received last week.
My house left target (left Gargoyle) remains active all the time in test and will not register in the game. This is happening regardless of whether the switch contacts are touching or not touching. I have determined that the L-shaped gargoyle metal cover that sits on and wraps around the gargoyle switch assembly is making contact with the rivet on the back of the switch assembly and, for some unknown reason, this contact is causing the switch to register as active. Since the L shaped cover sits on top of the switch assembly, the target remains active and the gargoyle will not register any hits (won't give credit for hitting the 'g' left gargoyle target). If I block the contact between the rivet and the L-shaped cover, then the switch registers fine, but it is impossible to prevent this contact from happening if the switch and gargoyle are set up in the game as they are supposed to be. I looked at the wiring and the switch is wired the same as all 3 other gargoyle targets, so not an obvious wiring issue.
The distributor I bought the game from looked at the game and came to the same conclusion regarding what was causing the problem, but his fix lasted for only one game, and the issue has returned.
So, is this most likely a bad gargoyle assembly, an indirect grounding/wiring issue, an issue with the node board, or possibly any of these (or something else)?
Has anyone else encountered this problem with a Gargoyle target?

OK, I wrapped the target with black electrical tape. In switch test it doesn't activate from just the metal touching the outside like before. I'll report back after several plays if it holds up. Not sure if someone has a better idea.

20210801_172527 (resized).jpg20210801_172527 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Trade
Machine - For Trade
St. Petersburg, FL
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
18,500 (OBO)
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider vernisious.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=vernisious and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.