IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbrave77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#10569 2 years ago

I was able to get a topper from cointaker at normal price. Dunno if they have any more. Now for me to actually find the damn game....

#10585 2 years ago
Quoted from BlueRiverLore:

I also just ordered the Elvira Topper from Melissa at Cointaker. Very excited.

Well im glad I was able to help some folks! No someone find me a reasonably priced premium to go with my new topper!

6 months later
#11476 1 year ago

New EHOH here as of today. Question about the stern shooter rod. I installed it and the ball just barely makes it up and into one of those lanes. No way I could do skill shot. Anyone else have that? Im guessing maybe wrong spring? What color spring is best for the game?

#11478 1 year ago

yea ill check that. Seems square but ill make sure. if not stronger spring it is

#11481 1 year ago

So I switched the spring and the little springy thing on the outside part of the plunger and saw a bit of improvement. But it seems the ball is getting slowed down or rattles a bit halfway/ 2/3rds of way up the shooter lane before the turn. So I dont know if anyone had issues there and had to adjust anything.

Also question about the left orbit. Where should the ball hit when coming from left orbit?

#11483 1 year ago

hrm. I dont think its that. It slows down before it gets there and the auto launch has no issues at all. but ill check it out after work. thanks

1 week later
#11493 1 year ago

So new owner for about a week
Now. Today the game started having an issue. Some switch is being activated when it shouldnt. Only way i can describe is it triggers a “swoosh” sound that is the same sound that happens when you plunge.

Sometimes when i hit start it plunges right away which means a switch is being activated. And many times i hit the flippers and i get that “swoosh” sound and it gives me points.

Anyone know which switch that is and what to do? Its not the slings i know that. But id figure it would be somewhere close to a flipper.

I believe it may be the rollover in the shooter lane. When i press that down it makes that sound. But when i look under the cabinet i dont see anything different really.

Any help?

#11494 1 year ago

It seems the left ramp makes a similar noise as well it that helps? Maybe opto up there?

#11498 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

You should be able to put the game in a switch test mode to figure out which one it is. If it is an opto. Make sure that it's not loose.

To tell you the truth I still never know what Im looking for in stern switch test. Ill try to figure it out. The switches all work it seems, just theres one thats going off randomly when other things happen. Could it be a leaf switch on a coil somewhere maybe im wondering?

#11501 1 year ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

It's really annoying how behind Stern is with their OS.
On my RFM, the switch is test displays a picture of the playfield and shows you exactly which switches are active. I'm pretty JJP does this too.
I believe the Stern switch test will cycle through the active switches. If there is one that is interment, it should be appearing and disappearing from the list.
From what I've seen, this is usually an opto that isn't screwed in very well that the shaking of the game from things like pop numbers cause it to go in and out.

Thanks ill check the optos. The two thinfs that make that sound are trough rollover and left ramp. So maybe left ramp opto is loose.

Side note i like JJPs menus for switches

#11505 1 year ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Put it in the first switch test on the menu. Start banging the playfield. Does any switch go off. It will number and name the switch that goes off. You mentioned the flippers cause it to activate. In the same test mode flip the shit out of the flippers. If another switch is triggered straight after the EOS switch there you go. This game s how I found my pop bumper problem in STh.
Haha, welcome to the finickiest Stern there is! Thought you were being punished enough by Alien. I had quite a few adjustments I needed to do to EHOH. but once fixed she’s running pretty well. Fun game. Good luck.

Thanks! At least this is a little problem. Alien has been bricked for a month!

#11506 1 year ago

So interesting development. Switch test doesnt work. I go into switch test and the flippers dont work or anything else. Does that mean anything?

I really think its the rollover in the shooter lane. But when i look at it it seems fine

#11508 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If the switch matrix is shorted, that could block it from working in test. Were you working on it, or did it happen randomly?
Could also be the node board died or a connector or connectors worked their way loose. Try reseating all the node board connectors for Node 8 and 9.

Im and idiot in switch test i didnt pull the darn white knob. But i still cant re create the issue in switch test….ugh

#11510 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Ah, right. Forgot about that idiotic cutoff in Spike2 where they kill the coils AND switches instead of just the coils. So dumb.
Elvira is known to have opto issues, so I would lean toward opto if you can't recreate the issue by smacking the PF.

Cant recreate by smacking it. I just get the tilt. Im
Pretty sure its the rollover in shooter lane. Sometimes the game gives me 30 points and the swoosh sound before i even plunge. And when that happens usually it goes into ball search eventually before i even plunge

#11511 1 year ago

This time on ball one it gave me 30 points and the noise before plunging. But it hasnt gone into ball search yet.

#11513 1 year ago

Only thing ive noticed with the optos is the lasers arent lined up with the holes in the plastic. But they still seem to work fine. And they are not loose.

#11515 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If they're off from the holes they're shooting through (lane guides, etc) that can cause them to trigger with vibration or ball movement.

Ok good point. Those may be a pain to adjust. Hopefully those guides come off easy without too much bother.

#11517 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Are you getting points when you think a switch is being inadvertently triggered?
Oops...just noticed you mentioned it does. How many points (i.e. Maybe you can use the point value to help find the culprit)?
The rollover switch in the shooter lane shouldn't give you any points.

Ifs 30 points that seems to happen randomly. Many times when i hit the flippers. And it has a swoosh sound with it

#11519 1 year ago
Quoted from PinballHaven:

I’ve worked on two different EHOH that needed the right ramp opto removed and the hole in the ramp adjusted (drilled larger) to allow the beam to pass through accurately, but had a similar symptom. They both were fine initially and over time as the ramp got more wear the clarity of the beam was affected. Drilling the ramp holes larger and better aligned to the optos solved the problem both times. Hope that helps you. You can do this without removing the ramp if you get the playfield propped up above the cabinet in the back.

Ok thanks. Yea it seems that circuit board has no chance of the laser hitting the holes as its just bot long enough.

#11523 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Yeah, I was thinking the same thing - along the lines of a 'hair trigger' scenario.
I actually had a bad Tx opto behind the house. Luckily, I was able to utilize (aka kludge) another Tx opto until the proper opto shows up. But I don't think that is the same issue mrbrave77 is having.

It probably is the left ramp return opto. It makes the right sound and the laser is lined up over plastic and not the hole. I unscrewed the ramp and wiped it down really good. Its not dirty. Well see if that helps. But the otpo is very securely attached. And i dont want to drill a hole!

#11525 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

One simple troubleshooting trick you can maybe try is take some black electrical tape and cut a small hole in the tape and stick it on the ramp with the cutout in the tape over the ramp hole. That sort of forces the light to only be picked up via the intended opening. Looking at mine, I think the right side (Tx opto) is lined up pretty good. Hard to tell about the Rx opto on the left (I didn't take the glass off). Hopefully that will help point you in the right direction.
I think the JP guys even do something similar on one of the ramps to address an issue, but they probably install on the outside of the ramp, not the inside.

In my case i think that would block the light totally because the hole is like a cm away

#11529 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Is it the left or right side that is not centered?

what do you mean by that? Can youu send me a a pic of the opto and the other side? Where on the other side should the light be hitting? Is there a certain spot? Maybe they arent lined up perfectly?

And yea when im in test mode I cant re create it

#11531 1 year ago

i know it triggers the sound. Ill double check if it triggers the points. this is the left return ramp opto

#11533 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

There's a transmit opto and a receive opto. I believe the transmit is on the right and receive is on the left. Can send a picture later. But it sounds like you think they aren't lined up correctly. They are directly across from each other.

Ill take a pic of mine shortly. Would just like to see what normal looks like

#11535 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

This just dawned on me after looking at my EHoH and rereading your post...are you seeing the power LED on the right side opto? See below, that's not the transmit IR LED, it's the pwr LED. It just indicates the board is getting 5V. I don't see how the board could be a cm off - that's WAYYY too far.
[quoted image]

I mean the red light is off from the hole. Are you saying the red light is not the actual opto switch light that tips the switch? If thats the case it may be aligned correctly after all

#11568 1 year ago

Guys im back finally trying to diagnose this switch that is going off when i hit the flippers.

So many think its the opto on the left ramp. I believe that is the ramp return opto. That switch works fine when i run my finger by in switch test. But there seems to be some kind of opto on the ramp entrance as well right?

That does not trigger anything when i run my finger past it. Could that be misaligned?

And the game randomly awards 30 points usually when hitting flippers. It makes the same sound that the left return opto does.

I just cant recreate it in switch test

#11569 1 year ago

Ok its not the left ramp return opto because rhat gives like 40k points. This is 30 points…

#11573 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Either the opto pair is broken or it's misaligned and always triggered, so when you run your finger past it, it doesn't trigger because it's always on already. Try loosening the mount and adjusting it while in switch test to see if you can get it to trigger, then lock that position down.

So in switch test i can only get it to register by pressing on the ranp metal near the hole and touching the receiver. If thats the case im guessing its not aligned well?

#11574 1 year ago

Ok. Maybe found something. The left ramp. The left side of the ramp(i guess the guardrail on the left as the ball goes up) has some play to it. I can move it back and forth a mm or so easily. Is everyone elses ramp left side loose like that?

Maybe when i hit the flippers that inside rail moves and hits the left ramp entrance opto?

#11576 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Either the opto pair is broken or it's misaligned and always triggered, so when you run your finger past it, it doesn't trigger because it's always on already. Try loosening the mount and adjusting it while in switch test to see if you can get it to trigger, then lock that position down.

Hey pinmonk. Thanks for the help. Its definetly that opto. But i can only trigger the opto by actually touching the reciever on the left side. I cant make my finger going up the ramp do it….

#11577 1 year ago

Ok. I can manuever it a bit to get the red light to come on and it works. But when i screw it down its doesnt work again. Maybe i need super tiny washers

#11579 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, it sounds like just an alignment issue. If it's send/receiver is too low relative to the hole in the ramp, a washer or spacer of some sort will help. L/R alignment relative to the hole is a different story. At least you know what the problem is now. It's just a matter of adjusting and getting it centered in those ramp holes.

Holy crap its so sensitive. I had it perfect. And while putting the left return ramp back on the red light went off…..Mfer…

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#11580 1 year ago

Ok. I think i got it! Its definetly that opto. I got it all lined up. For now. Lets see if it lasts

Thanks everyone

#11582 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Last resort if the issue returns, you can drill out the holes to be slightly larger. But absolute last resort.

I thought of that too.

Side note. When is the topper suppossed to activate with elvira popping out? Dunno if it has happened during the game but then again im not looking up

#11583 1 year ago

Ugh! Here i thought i had it fixed as it was fine fir a few games. The opto is fine but something else is making that swooshing sound and awarding 30 points randomly. Ugh!

What gives 30 points in this game each time?

#11592 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Maybe try simulating gameplay by putting it in switch test mode then popping a ball manually into the trough, then closing the door and launching the ball and seeing what switches trigger when you flip and launch balls.

Just did that. It is the left ramp opto as we thought. My guess is the inside of left ramp is shaking a bit causing the metal to cover the light and trigger it. Is the inside of the ramp suppossed to have give to it? I can move it with my hand back and forth a bit easily

#11593 1 year ago

Ok the ramp doesnt visually move when flipping. But i did notice the red opto light blink off for a quick second while flipping.

So i would think its tint movements in the metal ramp that causes the laser to see the ramp thinking its a ball. Though when i move the ramp with my hand the switch does not go off…

#11594 1 year ago

switch test confirms its that left ramp entry opto. Heres a video of what I mean the left ramp diveder has movement: https://i.imgur.com/Q3QfyEH.mp4

20220904_014510585_iOS (resized).jpg20220904_014510585_iOS (resized).jpg
#11595 1 year ago

So im in test now and almost every flipper hit makes the left entry opto go off. And the red light doesnt even blink and it still goes off.

So maybe this is board related somehow? Or the opto is just bad? Hoping its not the whole opto as I dont want to de asemble the whole left side to install a new one

#11598 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

And smacking the playfield with your fist firmly in a few places on the PF doesn't make it go off?

Nope. Flippers and the opto are both on node 8 and the wiring is right next to eachother… just reseatted everything and re trying

#11599 1 year ago

Even after reseatting wires its still happening.

In switch test i cant even recreate it by touching the opto or the ramp jiggling.

Itll switch if i run my finger up ramp or every 3-10 flips on either flipper

#11600 1 year ago

The opto is working, its just randomly awarding a lot as well. I dont care about 30 points here and there, if i could just selectively turn off that sound effect id do it!

#11602 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Is this with the red opto light continuously on after you adjusted? Or is the hole maybe still interrupting?
You can check and see if it's the node board by swapping Node 8 and 9 (and resetting the dip switches for each to the opposite) - WITH THE POWER OFF - and see if the problem is solved. But that's a lot of work. :/

Hehe that is a lot of work for a relatively small but annoying problem. The red light appears to be on the whole entire time….
And i cant recreate it manually by touching the opto or the ramp. Only with the flippers or my finger running up tripping the wire.

The optos are not loose. Ive clamped them down where i find them to be working. And even when i loosen them and re adjust its the same result.

Can you take a bunch of pics of that opto on your game(both sides) and see how they line up?

#11603 1 year ago

Maybe ill post on facebook and hope that Gomez responds like he sometimes does. Heh

#11604 1 year ago

So just discovered that the auto launch will sometimes trigger it as well. And the pop bumpers. So basically violent coils are making the left ramp entry opto fire despite it seemingly being installed flawlessly…they are screwed on well!
I cant recreate this by touching the opto board or the outside of ramp

#11606 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Do you have a drinking straw you can cut to fit from one opto to the other to make a hard visualization of the beam path?

Im sure i could do that. But it really seems that the beam is in tact. And i CANT recreate this by touching the opto itself or by touching and moving the ramp metal. So i doubt its that right?

#11608 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

But if the beam isn't centered in the ramp holes it could be triggered by vibration.

Yea. But wouldnt me moving the ramp and pressing on the opto itself simulate that?

Can you send me a pic of how yours look?

Thanks for all the help btw.

#11610 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Don't have an Elvira anymore or I would.
Pressing would simulate top down, but NOT bottom up or left/right. Only one direction of obstruction by the hole.

I took off the left return plastic ramp to get access and i jiggled it around all directions the most i could. It doesnt seem to have any play at all. The only thing that has play is the inside of the metal ramp if you saw the video i linked to. But when i do that by hand nothing happens either…ugh!

#11613 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When the flippers or autolaunch trigger it, does the red light flicker or go off and on?

Sorry had to sleep. Earlier in the night i would see some flicker. But after adjusting many times i think i have it lined up properly and i dont believe its flickering anymore. But it could be so quick i cant see it

#11615 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

When the flippers or autolaunch trigger it, does the red light flicker or go off and on?

Just checked. From what i can see the light does not flicker. But if its just for a micro second maybe i cant perceive it?

#11621 1 year ago

Well i did some more attempts at re aligning the left ramp entrance opto and thought i had it perfect. Switch test was great. No more left ranp entrance opto going off. Put balls in and seemed to go ok. Then put glass on and its back to the same bullshit. Ugh!!!

#11623 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

The wires to the opto can get broken inside the insulation from vibration. I'm wondering if you don't have a broken wire inside one of the wires that is making intermittent connection. You can try leaving the opto connected and fiddling with the wires in switch test to see if the optos trigger just from moving the wires near the circuit boards on the optos.

Yea i had tried that as well. Nothing. I also did your straw connection and it seems aligned. If anything the left side of the opto is just the slightest bit to the right. But if that were an issue you would think jiggling the left side of the ramp would cause it to trigger. But it doesnt.

#11625 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I mentioned this earlier...try putting a little black tape on the ramp of the Rx opto. Small hole cut into it for the Rx opto. This will help eliminate stray reflection of the Tx opto. I recall the JP owners doing something similar as a fix.
One thing I noticed when looking at the manual...the Tx opto is shown on the left side, the Rx opto is on the right. But in my pin, Rx is left, Tx is right. How is yours configured?

I forgot about this. Which one is rx and which is tx? The one with the purple light is on right

#11627 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

My Rx (receiver) is on the left. That is the one that has the red indicator LED which goes off when the beam is broken. It also has 3 wires. The Tx (emitter) only has two leads, which is just power.

Am I putting the black tape on the outside of the ramp? Or the inside? Id rather not have it too visable. Thanks!

#11629 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I'd do it on the inside because it shouldn't take more than a couple of minutes to try. I consider this just a test more than anything. If it works, great - but then you figure out a way to make things look nice.

Will do. Thanks

#11631 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If that doesn't work, you're really down to a flaky opto (send or receive) or the node board. Optos are relatively cheap, I'd do the pair and see what happens. When you replace them (if you do) trim back the wire past where the hard kink is to eliminate that, too.

Yea im at my wits end. I did order replacements. But wonder how much stuff i need to remove to replace them

#11632 1 year ago

Black tape didnt work. I cant recreate it by shaking ramp. Only by coils AND by repeatedly tapping the back of the reciever. Like flicking it with my finger.

#11633 1 year ago

If its alignment. If anything i think the receiver may be set just a tad high. How would i lower it without shaving down the black plastic on the opto where the screws go?

#11636 1 year ago

Left side is receiver. So i actually just unscrewed the plastic part from the circuit and pressed on it as much as i could while acrewing back together. Just trying to get the sensor sitting a bit lower. And that just passed switch test and i think one game. About to try another.

In the end i bet it is a bad solder. When i flick the receiver with my finger i can make it go off.

#11637 1 year ago

Soooo i dont want to jinx myself here…….but i think i got it? At least for now. Switch test passed and just played a few games with no issues. At least that ive noticed. So im not going to touch that damn glass for a while and just hope its good to go. Maybe that tiny bit i was able to move the reciever down did it….

Thanks for everyones help. Hopefully i dont come back tomorrow!

1 month later
#11902 1 year ago

Just had my best game yet. ~2.2b. Beat they came from space. Is that the final wizard mode and considered “beating the game”. Or do you have to do it multiple times?

#11904 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Technically, selling the house is the final "wizard" mode.

Ah darn. What qualifies that?

#11905 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

Ah darn. What qualifies that?

Nm. I missed phone a friend. Got it

2 weeks later
#12028 1 year ago

Ive owned all those 3 games including bksor twice. Alien looks and sounds great but is a meh game to me. I dont love wide bodies. And as you ask about before Alien may be a pain in the ass. Mine was down about 2 months after playing 20 games. I think the PB system is a bit iffy and the experience made me stay away from Queen(a dream theme for me). Though their support is incredible and very responsive.

I really enjoy BK LE and EHOH. Bk le and pro are very different games and some prefer the pro. LE is easier.
I really enjoy my Ehoh, but I dont think its AS good as its rating. Its good, but very linear like BK. And its an easier game so I have to be in the mood for a long playing game before starting(kind of like deadpool).

Ill say this though. EHoH will be harder to re-acquire if you miss it. Especially an LE.

2 weeks later
#12070 1 year ago

Glad you changed your ad to trade for a Toy Story CE instead of LE. Toy Story is selling well below msrp right now and Ehoh well over msrp. And baywatch is a fun game.

3 weeks later
#12254 1 year ago

If its a smaller run the worst premiums come down to is the 10500 new price probably. There still arent many. And this game probably compares closer to bm66 than other premiums.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Fort Lauderdale, FL
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Trade
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

10,000 (Firm)
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mbrave77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=mbrave77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.