IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mageek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6184 3 years ago
Quoted from grabul:

Hello,
made my own design of a new crypt facade printed in 3d.
The print consists of five skull heads having leds in the eyes.
The logo of dead head signboard is iluminated from behind by the existing led in the crypt.

If you want to build your own please refer to my post at thingiverse.
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4676669
You can download the stl files there.
Sorry, but please don't ask for to build a mod for you.
Also I won't provide a kit.
[quoted image]

Great model grabul , turned out great! I see why you say “don’t ask me to make you one” pretty much like micro surgery to wire it but well worth it .

88941F5C-625F-4874-A204-DCA369737025 (resized).jpeg88941F5C-625F-4874-A204-DCA369737025 (resized).jpeg

05FE3848-249F-414E-A47C-0AA7EEF6C1A2 (resized).jpeg05FE3848-249F-414E-A47C-0AA7EEF6C1A2 (resized).jpegC4330DE1-7DCE-4BAA-9589-0040BD84789A (resized).jpegC4330DE1-7DCE-4BAA-9589-0040BD84789A (resized).jpegA229F6DD-157B-4447-AF32-443E47E059FF (resized).jpegA229F6DD-157B-4447-AF32-443E47E059FF (resized).jpeg1AFE4F52-C28D-451B-8B3E-186ABB6D579F (resized).jpeg1AFE4F52-C28D-451B-8B3E-186ABB6D579F (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#6258 3 years ago

After having tried all of the various fixes for the VUK issue and none working consistently, I have finally got it sorted. My issue was the alignment of the subway to the hole through the playfield. I had to remove the subway and enlarge the holes to allow enough play to properly align it. See pics

361D384C-3D40-4E55-BBA8-B2DBB8C51810 (resized).jpeg361D384C-3D40-4E55-BBA8-B2DBB8C51810 (resized).jpeg629BD293-48FD-4844-8C1D-A67D63FF3A37 (resized).jpeg629BD293-48FD-4844-8C1D-A67D63FF3A37 (resized).jpeg
#6266 3 years ago
Quoted from marspinball:

Have you also tried dremaling the popper? And if you did was it better? I'm about to try the dremel fix but will definitely check the ramp alignment. I shifted the ramp assembly over and probability get a target hit 40% from never.

Yes I did do the dremel fix but made little difference in my case, I bought the game used and the Stern fix was already done. It worked better with the popper back in the original position. The tape fix made little / no difference. I believe the ball was randomly ricocheting off the subway plastic and / or exposed playfield wood before exiting. The ball now comes out strong enough that I’ve had to turn down the coil power.

#6294 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Did you use the same holes and if so how’d you move the ramp over a bit

I removed it and drilled the screw holes out bigger to give enough play to move it.

1 month later
#7097 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

I've also notice the corner on the market value stationary target was pushed back in abit and the right gargoyle bracket can cause the ball coming out the pops slow to hit the gargoyle bracket and just deadball down the middle..
I used leaf switch spacer to bend the market value sign closest to the gargoyle out abit seems to help...
might be worth looking at

This is exactly what happens on mine , if the gargoyle switch is pushed all the way to the right a ball coming out of the pops will often catch the edge of it and SDTM. Sounds like a good Idea to move the market switch out to prevent that since the gargoyle switch does move back and forth.

4 weeks later
#7631 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

Next up I think I'll 3D print and paint a nicer thatched roof for the crypt to replace the flat plastic piece it comes with

Like this ? I can’t remember what site I downloaded the .stl from though.

E5190085-D1FE-4596-A088-09BA0A21B090 (resized).jpegE5190085-D1FE-4596-A088-09BA0A21B090 (resized).jpeg324C5730-45A4-4336-8205-ABBA42286E7D (resized).jpeg324C5730-45A4-4336-8205-ABBA42286E7D (resized).jpeg
#7637 3 years ago
Quoted from John1210:

Tbh with this game... possibly hd glass and speaker upgrade is all you need really to enhance play. Pinstadiums are a waste imo. The other popular mods for this title are all personal choice but dont significantly enhance the experience. Maybe a spotlight or 2 if you want to highlight some playfield areas from comet... a lot cheaper than pinstadiums.

I was going to get HD Glass however the PinStadiums removed all the glare so I don't need it now.

#7650 3 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I have a printer and am interested in this. Did you print the STL as is or did you have to modify or scale it to fit?

I had to split it to get just top texture and scale it (used MS 3D Builder) theres lots of different sizes in the zip file

1 month later
#8115 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

Anyone who loves modding their machine in here that can recommend something for the top right hand corner? I've got a cool black spider on the left top side but seems like I can put something on the top right as well. I actually bought a werewolf figure from Ebay but it turned out to be too big for that spot.[quoted image]

Haven’t painted the lobster yet ....

45799606-D816-4E71-B3EF-93A7FC4C45E0 (resized).jpeg45799606-D816-4E71-B3EF-93A7FC4C45E0 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#8229 2 years ago

For you new owners I’d love to know if they did anything to fix the POS crypt VUK without needing to screw with it ad nauseam..

#8240 2 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

I've never had a problem with mine

That makes one

#8251 2 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

So, now I'm reading that it likely needs an adjustment? What's involved with this?

I suggest you search VUK in this thread. I had to move the subway to align with the hole in the playfield since the ball would ricochet off the edge of the hole instead of going cleanly through it, and adjust (bend) the scoop. Others have moved the kicker as per Stern tech bulletin (made mine worse), some put tape in the scoop (didn’t work for me), some made the kicker end concave ( made no difference on mine). BUT I fixed my friends by simply bending the scoop and adjusting the coil power adj #166 or 167

#8256 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Is shaker worth it for the game?
[quoted image]

Congrats, My opinion is a big yes on the Shaker

#8327 2 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

I wrote to Stern and they are telling me they only know this game to have blue nubs of death. But mine came with black ones. I looked online and every playfield pic I can find has blue ones. Do any of you have black ones or is mine a one-off? LOL

Never seen black ones on an Elvira , did you get this new? If not is it possible someone put the wrong type material, I have 2300 games on mine and no wear at all on the blue ones....

1 week later
#8590 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

We get the Wild Women multi ball a good bit, does doing that same stuff get to House Party?

The only game I have ever adjusted anything is Oktoberfest, and it was easy.
I adjusted this game to 5 ball very easy while ago, and I was going to adjust the slings, but I could not find that anywhere in settings.
I even looked through the owners manual, which is the first time I have ever took a Stern game manual out of the game and looked at it.
I did not see anything in the manual either.
Thanks for the info about the extra balls, we still can not get that far into the game.
A couple of members here plan to stop by and help soon.
I paid very close attention while ago, and while the slings are pretty bad at throwing the ball straight to the out lanes without a chance to flip it (unless you are fast and can shake the game the right way), the worst is hitting the garage target, 90% of the time hitting that the ball flies back SDTM.
The 10% of the time that the garage target does not fly back SDTM is a shot made by accident, that just barely hits the target.
So many times when the ball leaves the pops, and comes out on the house side, it goes SDTM. If it leaves the pops and comes down the right out lane it is fine.
And when you get the multi balls out of the garage, most of those just go SDTM.
The game is a whole lot of fun, but needs a lot of tweaking, these cheap drains without ever getting a chance to try to flip the ball gets old.
And I am nudging and doing all I can. I have a tilt every now and then trying to save a cheap drain that I never once had a chance to flip.
Part of the problem is we are not great players, but still, drains when you never even had a chance to flip the ball is not good.
With the game set to 5 ball now, the best I did was 68 mil, and I got to see a little bit of new stuff.
At least it is playable, although aggravating. I feel very sorry for members here having the flipper problems and other issues that can not enjoy the game at all right now.
So far AC/DC was the only game I ever had that was so bad with SDTM drains I sold it with around 2400 plays, and there was still preset high scores on it, and only around 5 extra balls in all those plays.
Right now I just wish I had never read comments here about how easy this game is, and I would not feel so bad.
Hopefully soon everyone will have their game, and all will be 100% playable. It is a awesome game. I can not wait to play it when it is totally dialed in.

Sounds to me like your game is leaning heavily to the right, most of what you mention can likely be fixed by properly levelling it. You may occasionally get a slow ball out of the pops SDTM or a hard shot to the garage drop, but never left loop SDTM. Many have the opposite , left loop into the slings issue to which a fix has been posted in the thread. Also make sure your bubble level in the shooter lane is centered between the lines to start with. This game has fantastic flow when properly dialed in.

Sling power is under Adjustments>Game Feature Adjustments #266 on SW version 1.02
You get to house party by starting half of the haunts

#8706 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

RALPHWIGGUM‘S lenticular instruction cards arrived yesterday!! Excellent quality as usual. Again these look much better in person. Now waiting for Elvira to be delivered by FedEx today. Thank you again RALPHWIGGUM!
[quoted image]

Does lenticular mean upside down ?

#8829 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

No, no just glue the figure to the metal piece. I tried thread locker at first, but 2 or 3 games in the gargoyle just popping off again. I just meant to be aware of the metal pieces it slots into - the silicone (if you choose to do that) should just be a tiny amount on the metal blade

I think you guys are talking about 2 different things, gargoyle flying off vs screw holding metal actuator from moving around. I have the same issue where the actuators move and block a bit of the right ramp shot among other things, even when tight.

#8948 2 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Having 2 issues now with my HOH Prem. The trunk often doesn't register the ball is there, and sometimes gets stuck. It also shoots out a ball (as if the ball drained during the ball save timer) when the ball is in the middle of play. Anyone have any suggestions?

Yes I had this issue, the opto inside the trunk shines through a slot in the playfield , it was lose and randomly getting blocked by the playfield so was ejecting balls intermittently..

#8949 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

What is supposed to happen when you shoot the ball up the left ramp into the open trunk? Originally mine wouldn't even register it was in there and would wait for a ball search to shoot it out. I adjusted the physical switch (not the opto above it) and now as soon as the ball drops into the open crate, it shoots it out. So, I know it recognizes the ball (since it shoots out immediately) but it doesn't seem to award anything. Is it supposed to start some mode or otherwise acknowledge the ball in the trunk with a callout or anything? It kinda seems like it's not doing whatever it is supposed to do.

It should keep the first ball in there and give the award even if it is a fluke
Check the opto , my guess is it thinks there’s 2 balls in there

1 week later
#9081 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Ok. Now how about Elvira’s trailer... anyone, anyone?...

Not sure if you’re talking about mine or not , I 3d printed it and covered with vinyl cut with my cameo

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/163#post-6273753

#9103 2 years ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Yeah..thanks.. theres settings adjustments, hood bends, tape on the inside and the fix from stern to physically adjust the position of the VUK assembly. The latter involves screwing holes into the bottom of the playfield and id sure love to avoid having to do anything of the sort. Is that what most have done to get it hitting the stand up targets correctly?

I would start with slight bends of the scoop, try bending it up a bit if it’s hitting low. I’ve done all of the fixes and that makes the most difference

#9112 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

No need to bend anything. The fix has been posted here already.

Ok Professor pinball … give it a break pal

#9113 2 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

The dremel mod did nothing for mine. Neither did the recommended Stern repositioning. Only thing that worked for me was tweaking the top of the VUK. 100% ever since.

Ditto

#9120 2 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Fandango:

I will include more emoji’s and a photo of Justin Trudeau next time for you.

dunno WTF that's supposed to mean....

#9204 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

2. I had a bad house ramp reject issue out of the box. The one where it comes right back down the front ramp to start a haunt(diverter up.) It’s weird that recent runs seems to have the problem more than previous builds?.

Mine was built Nov 2019, I have had very few rejects from the house in over 1500 games a soft shot or even a bullet shot stays in. I also have a friend with same build date and his is solid too. Really got to wonder what changed..

2 weeks later
#9324 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Agreed, overkill for some games especially considering the price. But I like to play in the dark and eyes aren’t great so i find myself struggling to see center of the playfield. I’ve got them on my JP2 and DP and medium brightness and really improves my experience.

Exactly, I play it in the dark and they are awesome for that, they also remove all glare. I don’t normally buy them because of the price but I disagree that they ruin the mood.

#9327 2 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Setting the lights in the head to dim or go off has the same effect for free!

I am aware of that , overhead lighting also causes glare

3 months later
#10078 2 years ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

Thanks bwill I will give that a shot!!

There’s a million posts about this, like you I did everything , bending the scoop is what fixed it for me, it’s very touchy so very slight movement makes a big difference

2 weeks later
#10175 2 years ago
Quoted from tinyrodent:

Can someone tell me for certain the correct part number of these rubber bumpers? There are three of them at the ramp entrances, but they don't appear to be mentioned in the manual. There are several variations available at Pinball Life.
[quoted image]

Text me Tiny, I have some for you ....

2 weeks later
#10279 2 years ago
Quoted from Ajoelson579:

Thanks! Are there any good videos on this?

You would be much better off following this , concaving out the plunger isn’t the answer.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/202#post-6597569

#10289 2 years ago
Quoted from Rocket82:

Hey man, did you come up with a fix for the SDTM drains on the bumpers for EHOH. Mine is doing the same thing and ruined some potentially high score games and it's beating me up real bad. Can't find any info on this topic
Rocky

The ball may be hitting the side edge of the right gargoyle for a dead drop SDTM. You can try to adjust the gargoyle, I also bent the target beside it out to help prevent that. If it’s just a slow roller from the rubber under the ramp my “fix” is just to be aware of it and give it nudge.

2 months later
#10720 2 years ago
Quoted from TerminatorNo1:

Has anyone here experienced "ghost switching" on their Elvira's HoH?
On my game all of a sudden the switches for the "Un happy hours" ramps just kept triggering. So the scores went haywire! I took the glas of and went to switch test, but none of the switches registered when I pulled the ramps and stuff. It only registered as they should.
I rebooted the game and played a game. Everything worked as it should so I thought it was just a temporary glitch? But then it started to trigger again, with no ball near the ramps! ☹️
Has anyone had this issue?

Yes, many have, check/ align / tighten ramp optos

#10734 2 years ago

That QR reader is a bloody eye sore on any game , it sure does ruin the look of a $25K Pinball Machine. If it is of any value I would put it on the coin door , Someone made a mod to put it where the bill reader goes.

1 month later
#10840 2 years ago
Quoted from Dan1733:

First, I apologize in advance. I know there have been many posts on the VUK for a variety of adjustments and issues. Didn't immediately find this one.
Mine was functioning. For some reason it now struggles to move the ball up through the scoop onto the playfield. Take several tries and ultimately ball falls out instead of shooting across the playfield.
Would appreciate guidance if you have had this particular issue.
Again, if this was plainly covered earlier, my apologies. Thank you.

Since it was working did something like a screw maybe makes it’s way into the VUK via the subway from the crypt? Is it possible that the top of the scoop got bent down ? Also check to make sure the VUK mech under the playfield hasn’t somehow shifted or come loose.

#10856 2 years ago

Does anybody know how to get the moderators to stop JohnnyPinball007 from up voting ever friggin post!! Hello moderators….. do you win an award for that or something

#10860 2 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

You do early on, I maxed out long ago.
I mainly just upvote every post here because most everyone here is so helpful.
Sometimes I start not to upvote a few, and then I think hell, I will go ahead and upvote those also.

Guess it makes the whole upvote thing redundant then.

#10863 2 years ago
Quoted from Faust:

I've ordered an Elvira: Can some of you kindly recommend some mods and where to get them?
I'll start reading the thread too to see whats still available. I know I'm a little late to the party, it's been 2 years now since the release.
Anyone who has stuff lying around for sale, PM me.

Maybe a camper? PM me if you do. Lots of pics of it page 216 or search thread for camper

2 weeks later
#10992 2 years ago
Quoted from EightBitLife:

here's pictures of my Elivra House Of Horrors Signature Edition
I'd like to add some mods any suggestions
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Perhaps my camper for the back corner? Here are some pics. https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/216#post-6813534

2 weeks later
#11027 1 year ago

Has anyone ever considered making wireforms for this? I think it would be a nice upgrade.

1 month later
#11233 1 year ago

I really don’t know why people would replace perfectly nice game themed apron art with that F’n ugly ass IC QR reader. If you must have it why not put it in the coin door.

1 month later
#11372 1 year ago
Quoted from fridgejam:

Help - out of the box I have an issue with the trunk I'm snuggling to diagnose. When I first switch the game on the trunk fires off about 10 times in succession and then I get the attached 'Device malfunction Trunk Lock up' tech error message.
After this I can play the game with the trunk still opening, but it won't lock balls inside. I ran a switch test and the metal wire switch the ball lands on in front of the kicking mech appears to work ok in switch mode.
If anybody can assist with helping me understand what is causing this fault, I would be very grateful.
UPDATE: It turns out that the plug for the top opto (in front of the above switch) was just sitting hidden under the plastic not plugged in. Now plugged in properly there is no error on start up and the trunk is locking balls as it should
[quoted image]

There is also an opto under there to detect second ball, it can get out of alignment and cause that.

Edit: apologies didn’t see your update

#11388 1 year ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

I decided Medisynyl's Gonk's house mod was missing something, Gonk. Not a perfect match for the pictures I saw online but I figure close enough.
[quoted image]
[quoted image][quoted image]

Nice Camper

1 week later
#11407 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Looks like no actual gameplay changes/additions except the Free Game limits.

Ya I wish they’d put some effort into coding the existing unused assets, wishful thinking. Maybe do I dare say a $ chargeable update…. Highly unlikely though

1 week later
#11487 1 year ago
Quoted from mbrave77:

So I switched the spring and the little springy thing on the outside part of the plunger and saw a bit of improvement. But it seems the ball is getting slowed down or rattles a bit halfway/ 2/3rds of way up the shooter lane before the turn. So I dont know if anyone had issues there and had to adjust anything.
Also question about the left orbit. Where should the ball hit when coming from left orbit?

Also check that the autoshooter isn’t interfering with the plunger

Left orbit must go to left flipper to play properly. Many people moved the ball guide out as far as possible and put a B/W post rubber over the existing rubber to keep it out there.

1 month later
#11655 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I had to leave it for bed. I feel like i looked everywhere on it. I hope there's not something on the bottom of the playfield as I've also laid the house forward to have better angles.

FWIW , I was having garage opto problems and it was the connector was loose. Look under the playfield in that area you will see the connector is sitting in a connector shaped hole in the playfield, I just pushed it in tight with a screwdriver fixed it.

1 month later
#11942 1 year ago
Quoted from KingVidiot:

What do you want Stern to do about a pandemic, supply chain issues, and historic inflation?

Well, make another run of 40th Anniversary machines of course.

1 month later
#12198 1 year ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If I remember right from the one I had, the VUK on Elvira for that isn't welded to the sides, so the flap that guides the ball can bend up over time from ball action, pretty much REQUIRING that you bend it back down a little so it's back where it started when it was NIB. Do the Stern fix first to reposition the VUK, but if that's been done, then power adjustment and/or bending the VUK flap down a bit are all that's left.

That is my experience as well, the mech is very cheaply made and even after doing every possible fix it will still gradually bend out of alignment and require it to be bent back down.

#12301 1 year ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

JPloof is from Canada. Everything is white up there.

What are you talking about …..

152D52EB-59C1-49D6-8B56-FC2A473E6521 (resized).jpeg152D52EB-59C1-49D6-8B56-FC2A473E6521 (resized).jpeg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#12352 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

I borrowed these pics from another Pinsider who reached out to me to help. My subway was off center like the pictures show. The previous owner did the Stern mech fix, but didn't move the subway. Once I moved the subway, and put the mech back in its original location, I'm 100% fixed. Hope these help.

Here’s my original post for that
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/126#post-6048951

I didn’t mention in there that I also had to undo the Stern fix after realigning the subway.

#12361 1 year ago

Yes, correct. Oddly enough, my game is a 2019 run. So apparently it's just a hit or miss situation ( pun intended ). I'm just very thankful everyone pitched in and helped me get it fixed

Mine was Nov 2019

#12362 1 year ago

The "VUK Stern fix" was only for early built games. Maybe the first 6 months of production. I would say oct 2019 to Mar 2020. When the game was released the VUK shot to the targets wasn't even a thing. Lyman came up with the idea after production had begun causing the need to correct the games already made. Anyone trying to implement the fix on a later built game is only compounding the problem.

So what was the point of the VUK then? Surely not to throw the ball down the left outlane

#12379 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I wonder if more campy campers will be made for sale.

Sure I will, PM me for details.

2 weeks later
#12551 1 year ago
Quoted from Soltic:

Well, sorry for the laaaate reply.... had to go analog on this one.
Didn't recognize the place without all of the machines but did.... recognize the pinkish carpet and the front entrance.
Bob Volk's - great guy, bought the Tron cocktail seen on the cover from him years ago (15?) and restored it - only really needed the proper black t-molding and a new fan, still have it and think of him and that place when I play it.
Hope Bob is ok - he was a great guy to deal with and the place back in the day (between the machines and the house) was what my dreams were made of.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
God I miss Gameroom Mag.
Last owner was Kevin Steele I think - anyone know what happened to him?

What are those things on top of all the pins, mini video games or 70’s blenders?

A7DB8F2D-2A07-48B8-A947-481925587DA9 (resized).jpegA7DB8F2D-2A07-48B8-A947-481925587DA9 (resized).jpeg
#12587 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

I don't think I quite worry about every little dimple. I simply notice cratered playfields and lament how poorly they hold up - in particular from Stern. It's the great "hardess lottery." Some games are blessed with hard playfields that barely dimple at all, while others seems to have to balsa wood as their topmost layer and look like pooh within a month or two. EHOH is unique in how it tosses a ball higher into the air than any game I can think of. If I could disable that VUK and not disrupt the game otherwise I would do it just to avoid cratering over time. I will certainly go with Mylar if disabling the mech isn't practical. Thanks for your input though.

Perhaps just leave it in the box? Won’t get dimples in there.

#12598 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Clear coat isn’t going to stop dimples for the same reason a clear coat doesn’t prevent dings on your car. It’s the surface under (wood) that’s the cause of the dimples. A soft clear coat would scratch easier than a hard clear, that’s it.

Absolutely , think about it , .002” of plastic vs steel ball. It doesn’t matter what era your clearcoat was made it’s 100% about how hard the wood is.

#12601 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

No - if you put 1/16" of goopy soft clear on top, it's going to dimple.
It's the same with JJP and pooling - when you heat it, you can flatten out the ripples. That has nothing to do with the wood.

1/16 my ass

Quoted from PinStalker:

So then how does a playfield protector stop dimples and craters? It's just plastic.

Good one it’s only 100 times thicker

1 week later
#12680 1 year ago

Ya that has always bothered me, no mode timer while in multiball so you don’t know how much time you got.

1 week later
#12768 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

How interesting.... I don't think Medisynal made that piece. It wasn't in the original ad for the EHOH mods he did.
I wonder who did that? Looks real nice, I like it.

It looks like the one I made awhile back, I gave the link to a few people, I could put it on thingaverse or make some if people want them.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/153#post-6204086

3 weeks later
#13015 1 year ago
Quoted from barroncaliber:

kenwood are low grade and no better then the 5 dollar stock speakers . pinwoofers are the best sounding by a mile .

Alrighty then…..

#13231 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Looking for this one
I edited the photo to help
[quoted image]

You can swap the VUK plunger with the trough plunger if you want to see if it makes a difference.

1 week later
#13535 1 year ago
Quoted from JKKeogh:

Anyone know where to get the crypt roof mod? I made the mistake of taking a close look at the one that’s on there and now I can’t unsee the light through the peak of the roof.

I sell them but prefer to sell them as an add on to my camper. If it’s only the light that’s bothering you it would be easy to take one side off and put some electrical tape at the peak and put it back on.

#13545 1 year ago
Quoted from whistlervan:

One of my gargoyles flew off the post on my NIB game I got last night. Hopefully a fluke!
Will do some research here if others had the issue.
Otherwise enjoying my new game a lot.

Probably a bad glue job, for reference I have almost 3000 plays on my first run game and one came off last week for the first time, a little epoxy all good.

#13594 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

The color of the CLIP protectors (red) overpowers the artwork. It turns it red/darkens it. Use clear protectors or the kind that has the middles cut out so only the edge shows. (I forgot what they're called. Don't even know if they're available.)
In the pics below you can see how the red protectors overpower the purple in the artwork.
Of course, this is just my personal opinion after having installed them almost four years ago. I liked them at first, but have come to despise them. The fluorescent edges look great. It just the way it changes the artwork that doesn't.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Yuck

#13775 1 year ago
Quoted from thekaiser82:

Is there enough slop in the subway screw holes to loosen and re-align or did you have to utilize new holes into the playfield? Mine is slightly off but not near as much as in this picture.

So those are actually pics that I posted quite a while ago from my 2019 build. I did have to widen the holes but not drill new ones. Also don’t bother with scooping out the actuator it does nothing to help. You will also likely need to bend the top of the VUK to some degree to dial it in.

#13782 1 year ago
Quoted from FlopTube:

What do you mean time the shot? Don’t you just hit the blinking apron button to eject a ball?

Since you have no control over what target you can hit , it is my assumption that the objective is to hit the targets when they are all lit, that will defeat the deadhead. You will notice they light somewhat randomly and then all three light, that’s when to hit them.

#13784 1 year ago

I took screen shots of your pics because the question come up alot
None of the other fixes worked for me (physically they couldn't) until I found these photos. So I repost them whenever the question arises.

All good I would have thought that it would be something they would have taken care of in production by now, but …

#13788 1 year ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

My VUK is dialed in and always hits the center target. So I need to time my shot for when the 24 target is lit.
If you miss the first shot, the next time you shoot into the crypt it will automatically kill the deadhead. That's the default behavior.

I’m sure if you hit the 24 when they are all lit it will also count. Mine does not always hit the 24 target but as long as it hits any target when it is lit it finishes the dead head. The number of chances to hit a lit target before it does it automatically is selectable in settings, mine is set to 2.

1 month later
#14537 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

What’s your incline and I will try that? Also It’s the ball coming out of the pops SDTM and the balls out the out lanes that are driving my nuts.

A couple things to check when the ball is coming out of the pops, if it’s hitting the edge of the gargoyle it may direct it SDTM, if so rotate it one way or another. It may also be directed SDTM by the Stand up target , if so tweak it. Another option is one pinsider here has placed a pinball inside the rubber under the ramp where it exits the pops and that works for him. Another option is to raise the back left leg a couple turns.

#14630 1 year ago
Quoted from Kevster219:

Sooo my game was having very odd behavior and then completey went DOA recently, a new SD card fixed that issue (2019 build). The game started to autolaunch balls, then will go into Happy Hour and rack up points on its own into the billions. Same issue after the new SD card. I’ve done switch test which showed no issues, has anyone else had this issue or something similar? I’m honestly just trying to get this thing semi working again and selling it. I own the first 2 Elvira’s machines, and am more than happy with those 2. This is my first Stern and definitely my last I have close to 20 machines and none are this glitchy or problematic. Thanks for any input

Don’t give up! This game is better than the other 2. If happy hour is going crazy it is one of the ramp optos are loose or misaligned or broken, common on this game. That’s probably all it is, since the machine will auto launch when it thinks there is another ball still in play.

#14680 1 year ago
Quoted from shiffdog:

My crypt door started a new thing last night - after starting a deadhead mode the door started scrolling through its three positions throughout the mode. I didn't feel like dealing with it last night but will try tonight - I imagine it's a switch that needs adjusting. Has anyone else seen this?

Check the bracket on the motor that moves the door up and down, may need to be adjusted or came loose.

#14713 12 months ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So finally did the left orbit fix, and the balls still often will hit the bottom of the sling and activate it. At high speed plunge the balls go to the flipper, but if it's not fast enough, it always hit the sling. Problem is I got the lane pulled out as far as it will go. Not sure what to really do, saw folks mention adding Mylar to the end helps? Like how much are we talking about? I was thinking adding rubber around the metal edge but think it also might interrupt the ball flow instead of providing a little "bump" and not be smooth.

Raise the left rear leg a couple turns

#14853 11 months ago

I’m bringing a few campers to Allentown 2 Red and 1 Special 40th. Save the shipping $100.

4BA06A00-0B9B-4210-9E69-040ABE5900F6 (resized).jpeg4BA06A00-0B9B-4210-9E69-040ABE5900F6 (resized).jpeg836A8F44-51CE-462E-9D75-D905EF0CBE1E (resized).jpeg836A8F44-51CE-462E-9D75-D905EF0CBE1E (resized).jpeg
2 weeks later
#15014 11 months ago
Quoted from drbrain:

Can anyone point me to who makes the UFO Mod I have seen on a pic or two in this thread? It sort of looks like the UFO mod for GZ by Stumblr but it is in the back right corner of Elvira.

https://www.amazon.com/UFO-Cow-Abduction-Bovine-Light/dp/0762493410/ref=sr_1_1

#15029 11 months ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

My shooter lane is still worthless. The routing does not line up with the ramp, however the ramp can’t really move any further left. Also one of the ramp screws came nicely pre-stripped despite not looking like it. That was one soft as hell screw. Anyway, it doesn’t move left (hits the lane posts), it doesn’t line up. Barking up the wrong tree here?

Perhaps the wrong tree, my original build does not line up either and I never did anything to it. I can’t recall what all I did early on to fix the ball rattle but I believe I realigned the shooter and turned the gate at the top 180° .

6A92153E-0BB4-4399-BCAD-04B2678DB078 (resized).jpeg6A92153E-0BB4-4399-BCAD-04B2678DB078 (resized).jpeg
#15031 11 months ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Thanks - I have flipped the gate which helped - I’ll mess with the shooter a bit more, it looks dead center so I haven’t adjusted it - maybe it needs to be off just a bit to account for the routing.

You can also check the autoplunger and shooter aren’t interfering with each other by using the autopluger button while holding the shooter rod back.

2 weeks later
#15164 10 months ago
Quoted from Lateralus:

Yeah, mine has one already installed and still experiencing the rattle issue. This pin has been the most work out of the box by far, nothing else comes close.
I love the game, but when it's not 100% working as it should, or not dialed in properly, it drives me absolutely insane. Thanks OCD.
For real though, if you figure out how to stop the rattling in shooter lane, please hit me up. I'll do the same. I feel like I've done everything this thread has mentioned.
I may try a warranty route, but I doubt there's much they'll do; we'll see, I guess.

If you haven’t already try a slow mo video and pinpoint what’s going on. There can be many various reasons for it, make sure there’s no interference between autoplunger and manual shooter

1 week later
#15208 10 months ago
Quoted from DLPaisley:

Hi! Thank you very much. I made the same fix on my game and now the ball kicks out 100% of the time.

I have ben able to fix a couple of these VUKs by adding a 3D printed 3/8” ish replacement for the existing plunger stop.
My belief is that the way the mech is (poorly) designed there is not enough metal core inside the coil while at rest. By raising the core further into the coil it allows for a stronger, more consistent electro magnetic force.

#15216 10 months ago
Quoted from WizardsCastle:

Should the crypt VUK always eject the ball to hit the trunk targets?

yes

#15229 10 months ago
Quoted from Rolsen99:

Can someone give me a link to Haunts not starting. I know the posts are there, the thread is so long, I can’t flipping get to them….thanks!

IMG_0212 (resized).jpegIMG_0212 (resized).jpeg
1 week later
#15270 9 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Mine is very difficult to hit. How could you hit it on auto plunge since the ball shoots all the way to the left flipper?

You can adjust the auto plunger strength until it goes in the back door every time if you like, I do not.

#15282 9 months ago
Quoted from JvdS:

There is also a download for free for the crypt on thingiverse with 5 skulls (find it typing Elvira house of horrors)!

Yes this was generously posted by grabul and it’s great. The skulls light up and flash when crypt is activated. There is some work to it but it’s a beauty. It was the first mod I made for mine. https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4676669

#15303 9 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I thought I had it fixed.... took the glass out..... reset the lockdown at an angle (like you said) and it worked great!!!
After a couple game I put the glass back in..... button stuck.
Tried reseating from every angle..... button stuck. Noticed the button itself kind reorients itself once the lockdown bar is tight (doesn't stay straight). Not sure what would be putting pressure on it to knock the button off-axis. Only think I see is that contact thing, but that's so flimsy it couldn't do it right?
Is there a way to adjust this? I know the glass is super tight in the cab.....
Thanks!
This game is so darn incredible.

It sounds to me that the end of the leaf switch is binding on the side of the button when it is depressed. Bend the leaf down such that the end of it doesn’t point upwards.

#15316 9 months ago

Did another small run of Campy Campers , pm me if interested in one. I also have One 40th purple version

Image(12) (resized).jpegImage(12) (resized).jpeg
1 month later
#15535 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinash:

I’ve aligned mine countless times (including moving the subway and redrilling), and I am still at about 60% target hit rate.

Trust us the concave thing does nothing. Did you try putting a spacer under the bottom of the plunger to raise it up 1/4 " or so?that is the best fix I've seen after aligning it.

#15544 8 months ago
Quoted from Pinash:

Wow I just threw a 1/2” rubber around the bottom of that bracket (the plunger ballast weight now rests on the rubber ring, not the nub), and it’s firing great! Any idea about a more permanent spacer?

I 3D printed something but anything would work. The issue in my mind is that there is little to no metal in the coil when it is at rest, by pushing it higher in the coil it has more metal to work with

#15545 8 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

I tried this, and even with a rubber stretched pretty thin, the switch doesn't activate to lock the ball out...

If you can't adjust the switch enough, I ended up cutting an 1/8" ish off the top of the plunger , was well worth it

#15607 7 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Man, this VUK is infuriating. After adjusting the subway, it was all dialed in for 2 days, pretty consistently hitting. Now, it hits occasionally, mostly not even making it to the targets. I tried messing with the settings, no love. It's kinda ridiculous.

It is ridiculous , probably the worst designed mech ever made IMO, but if you want it fixed you have to get more of the actuator steel into the coil
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/311#post-7730771

#15613 7 months ago
Quoted from yzfguy:

Did you happen to take any pics? I can't picture how cutting a little off the plunger would help.

Yes I do, it will allow you to put something under the plunger and still have the switch work
IMG_9583 (resized).jpegIMG_9583 (resized).jpeg

4 weeks later
#15772 7 months ago

I find it funny when people don't want their child to see Elvira's cartoon chest when they just spent 2 years sucking on a tit.

1 month later
#16602 5 months ago
Quoted from batman66SLE:

Help with Crypt not opening to receive ball. The skull drops and will rotate up and back down again. I can't find a thread on this fix. I took the roof off and looked underneath the crypt and the optos appear to be aligned. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The motor mounted under the playfield has an elongated screw hole to adjust it. Try that..

#16682 5 months ago

Never had a reset (Nov 2019 build) , also do not have insider connected.

1 week later
#16799 4 months ago

This VUK is the biggest POS ever put on a pinball machine. I am the originator of the above picture and posted it over 2 years ago and a must fix if out of alignment. There are tons of fixes listed in here that appear to work but I feel that they work for awhile only because its been taken apart and put back together. Since this mech is made of several pieces of shit steel screwed together instead of a welded steel structure it will keep bending out of shape no matter what you do, the screws will strip out if adjusted more than twice. Right now my fix every couple of months is to reach in the coin door and yank on it which bends it back in shape for awhile again.

We need a Metal worker to make a proper housing for this mech. Mantis?

#16822 4 months ago

Who lives in or near Wheaton IL ? Take one for the team and hook up Kerry with a VUK

#16852 4 months ago

It really isn't that bad once you understand what is wrong. It comes down to two things. Stern installed the subway in the wrong spot and or the assembly got tweaked in shipping. The assembly sticks off the playfield pretty far. When the game is on its back during shipping the mechanism actually gets bent towards the rear of the cabinet from the suspended weight of the VUK mechanism. This changes the geometry enough to make the VUK not work. Bend it back where it should be and you're in business. I have personally fixed several of these.

Yes and it then works it's way back to the being bent out of shape again. Like I said earlier every couple months I have to bend it back into alignment. It's a piece of shit full stop.

#16854 4 months ago

Are you bending the VUK supports on the underside of the playfield? That's where they get tweaked. Once fixed they are good until the game is folded up a shipped somewhere on its backside. Mine has been flawless for 3 years. The VUK rockets the ball across the playfield and hits the same spot on the targets very time. Feel free to check some of my orlder posts if you want to see the procedure. In every instance I've seen the VUK needs to be pull towards the coin door. It took us early adopters a long time to get it sorted out.

My post from yesterday "Right now my fix every couple of months is to reach in the coin door and yank on it which bends it back in shape for awhile again"

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/336#post-7893770

1 week later
#17006 4 months ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

More than likely it’s just an extra that someone dropped in your game.
I’ve seen this many times in new games

I had an SD card stuck in the house somewhere , came sliding down the playfield one day after about 400 games.

1 month later
#17599 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Why would you put the QR reader on the coin door?

Because they look like shit

3 weeks later
#17782 65 days ago
Quoted from wvpinball:

I fought this issue since I bought my game in October of 2019. I tried every recommended fix in this topic. Some helped, but none resolved the issue. I spent countless hours of time and frustration and finally just accepted that it wasn't going to get any better. This solution by FlopTube FIXED the problem. The Crypt Kicker VUK hits the targets 100% of the time. No more dribbles for me.

Posted 3 years ago by me

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/126#post-6048951

1 month later
#17976 27 days ago

Feel free to disagree with me, but get some Pinstadium Neo Atoms, and be done with it. They look amazing and sync with the GI perfectly. They go dark and dim when they're supposed to and illuminate the playfield well. Just set the color on white, brightness on 100% and you're good to go. Screw all the color settings, just put em on white/clear. It's worth it. Let the hate posts begin.....

I agree, I also have them on my Elvira using only the white. The added bonus is they remove the need for invisiglass entirely.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

14,000 (OBO)
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

9,000 (Firm)
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

Trade
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mageek.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=mageek and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.