IMG_1855 (resized).jpeg
Playfield GI only titan no CLIP (resized).jpg
Playfield with CLIP GI only (resized).jpg
IMG_3575 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3572 (resized).jpeg
IMG_6179 (resized).jpeg
LS20240321000056.png

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jtgribble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2893 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Has Christopher Lee or Peter Cushing from "Satanic Rites if Dracula" made an appearance in the game yet?

I'm not sure if Christopher Lee makes an appearance since I only made 3 shots, but satanic rites of Dracula is definitely available to play. I just got the game Thursday, so I'm still figuring out how I did it. But, I had the skeleton key, the knife, and the Ray gun from junk in the trunk, and then started the haunt on the far right window.

Not sure if this combo matters, but it's the only things I noticed lit up. If you figure out how to do it for sure I'd like to hear about it. I know the far right window needs a skeleton key to unlock it. Sometimes it gives me Gila Monster, sometimes Santa Claus, and once tonight Dracula.

#2937 3 years ago

Well, 5 days from new it won't even turn on. Reading on here it sounds like it may be a bad SD card. Since this is my first ever pinball purchase, does Stern fix this or am I expected to shell out and replace the bad part myself?

#2940 3 years ago

I checked all the connectors in the boards to make sure they were seated. I removed and reinserted the SD card. Then I pulled it out and inserted it into my computer. The computer says the 16gb card only had 7.95gb space total (used and available).

There are red lights lit on the board that show the different voltages and one lit near the big heatsink on the same board. There are red lights lit up on the board in the bottom of the head cabinet and the board near the coin door.

I played it before work today, then nothing when I got home tonight.

#2942 3 years ago

I put the code onto an old SD card I had here at home and just now got it going. Started right up with the new card. Just frustrating I guess.

Thanks for the help everyone. Sorry, don't mean to just be on here complaining. Really is a good game when it's working, but I've had a few issues already in the few days I've had it.

#2945 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Is the screen dead too? If not, Was thinking maybe interlock switch at the coindoor.

Yes. Screen was dead too. New SD card fixed the problem. This morning I reflashed the SD card that came with the game and it seems to be working this way too. Thanks.

#2983 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

Yes, worth it. Ball now hits upper 36 or 24 and often 36 and 24 together, even with VUK power turned down. Was thinking of lowering power to hit lower 36 as that is is the hardest for me to target with flipper, but plenty happy as is. About 10% of the time it ejects above the upper 36, but has never gone into the trunk scoop. I would love to see that happen. What is even better than it hitting the targets though is that it just now feels right, not feeble, shooting with satisfying power.
I am also curious to know how many have made this adjustment. No idea.

I also has to adjust mine. As described above, it worked, but wasn't coming out clean. The bracket that is screwed into the back of the playfield already had 2 other sets of drilled out holes underneath it.

I ended up leaving it screwed into the original holes and just removing the screw in the bracket above the plastic subway. Works like a dream now.

#3011 3 years ago

Ever since updating to 0.95 code everything in the audits menu is staying at zero. It still seems to be counting lifetime games, but that is it. Is this normal, or did I maybe change a setting that caused this?

#3027 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Same issue in JP, so it must be a core O/S issue.
Rob

Contacted Stern and they said it was probably the CPU board and they would switch it out, so I'll find out soon if that's the problem.

#3083 3 years ago

I had the same issue. It was the right ramp opto. The two screws that go through the ramp were loose. Snugged them up and the problem went away.... So did my 17 billion score though

#3090 3 years ago

Hey I just received a refund for a concert that got cancelled. Since I've got some unexpected disposable income, I was wondering what would be the best use.... Side Armor, or Pin Stadiums? What do you think?

#3119 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Elvira wouldn’t power on tonight for me. No lights no screen nada. Looks like no VA or VNB lights on the node board which is what I’m guessing my problem is? Anyone have any tips to troubleshoot? Thanks in advance![quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Had the same thing. Had to reflash the memory onto the SD card. Worked fine after that.

#3147 3 years ago

I've got a question about the right ramp optos. I've had the out of control scoring some others have had and tightening the optos fixed it. But, now the right ramp sometimes scores 2 or 3 times when I hit it. It seems like it scores normally, then when the ball hits the bottom of the ramp it flexes slightly causing the extra scoring.

Is this just an alignment issue? Are they that sensitive? Or is it just from the slight movement in the ramp itself and just something I'll have to live with? I'm a first time pin owner, so still learning. Thanks for the help!

1 week later
#3264 3 years ago

Is there a good solution to repair this or stop it from getting worse?

IMG_20200525_185341 (resized).jpgIMG_20200525_185341 (resized).jpg
#3268 3 years ago

Great tips! Thanks! I feel like I've probably had a handful of first time owner questions that have likely been answered a hundred times somewhere on this forum, and so far everyone has been super helpful!

#3288 3 years ago

Has anyone changed the lights in the house to match the colors the inserts light up for that mode? For instance, the window for "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" would light up pink or "Manster" window would light up teal. I'm just wondering how much effort that would be or if it's something that's possible.

1 week later
#3564 3 years ago

I was watching the Dead Flip stream of gameplay this morning and noticed the slings clearly weren't set at default strength. When mine throw the ball it's a side to side frenzy that as often as not leads to an outlane drain. Just curious if you guys lower the setting on the slings and if so what setpoint works best for you?

#3565 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

No I haven’t. I’m not saying that is off the table for me but it would be a last resort fix. My VUK ejects every time but has no consistency. Some times it dribbles out and others it blasts the targets. I’m thinking I can fabricate a more elegant solution that repositions the ball directly over the plunger without remounting the hardware.

I have a premium that was built in November that had the same problem. It fired every time but was not "smooth" and consistent. The playfield looks like the bracket was already re drilled at the factory, there's some extra holes under there. All I did was remove one of the screws below the subway plastic and it's been smooth as butter ever since.

#3567 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

umm you wouldn't have a picture of which screw that was would you? Mines a premium build Nov 2019 and it acts exactly like that too. and i'd love to fix it.
On another note: Check out this 3d printing model of Gappa! I think it small one would make a great figure in the back left or right side of the table ..or the large 10inch one painted up might look awesome as part of a custom Topper. I gotta see if anyone i know has a 3d printer.. Modmakers might like this too.
https://www.gambody.com/3d-models/gappa-triphibian-monster[quoted image]

I'm pointing at it with a screwdriver here on the left side. You can see the holes where it was drilled out before I got it on the right side. When I removed the screw on the left the whole assembly shifted somewhat significantly. I'm not sure I could get a screw back in there without redrilling the metal. It seems to be holding fine without it.

IMG_20200610_172252 (resized).jpgIMG_20200610_172252 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3674 3 years ago

I'm not super observant so maybe this has occurred the whole time, but I've noticed it since the new update. When I have a mode running with a multiball the right orbit doesn't score for the jackpot or advancing the mode while the ball save is running.

Is this a bug or a feature? Is it a necessary evil to stop the auto launch from scoring? Personally, the right orbit seems to be the toughest shot for me to make on this game, so it's frustrating to nail it at the end of Teenagers From Space only to have it not score and my mode times out.

#3676 3 years ago

I kind of figured it was by design, but like I said, I'm not super observant. It's probably been like that since I got it. Figured it was worth asking since I know some people are really on point with how scoring works. Reality is I'm not good enough for it to make a huge swing in my final score.

1 week later
#3831 3 years ago
Quoted from tigerpin:

New Elvira owner here. Was correcting the VUK on my machine with the Stern fix (which seems to be working well now) and found these three small loose screws laying in the very back of the cabinet. One fell out as I was lowering the playfield to test the VUK. It was late and I didn't have a chance to try to see where they came from, but I assume it's somewhere near the house/back of the game. Any ideas or thoughts as to where to focus when I get back home?
[quoted image]

You might check the bottom of the leaping gargoyles. There are screws like that at the bottom of the metal slides that are loose and need retightened every time I lift the playfield.

#3946 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

I believe they broke the Trailer Trash mode in v0.97. I noticed that if you start a mode then start a multiball during the mode, Trailer Trash isn't available when you complete the mode while the multiball is still running ... I either missed this in the release notes or it an undocumented feature. Any one else notice this?

For what it's worth, I finished Manos today with wild women multiball running. I started trailer trash and finished it while the multiball was still going.

#3950 3 years ago
Quoted from dgilmore80:

This is so maddening - I worked on my crypt vuk a few months ago, and had it working perfectly. It was even consistent to the point that I could adjust the power to determine which switch the ball would hit. I was adding a light to the crypt today, and I must have bumped the lower crypt vuk and knocked it out of alignment, because it's all over the place now. I wouldn't mind except in .97 I have to hit the moving target to get rid of the dead head. So, does the code allow me to turn this feature off, or change the number of times I have to go into the crypt to eliminate the dead head? I've looked at the adjustments, and can't find it. I could just be having a senior moment when i look, or is it not possible to change?

Game feature adjustment #49 I think. It's default is 2 then the 3rd time completes it whether you hit the targets or not. You can turn it down to 1 then the 2nd would complete it, but I don't think you can turn it off. I could be wrong though.

#3969 3 years ago

Should look like this,

15940973585791307581887367200895 (resized).jpg15940973585791307581887367200895 (resized).jpg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#3970 3 years ago

I guess this is what the update file looks like, if you're talking about the SD card image it's just one file like this. The compressed zip file is around the size you stated. The unzipped file is around 14GB

15940976619144602989167211163253.jpg15940976619144602989167211163253.jpg

1 week later
#4056 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

My vote for best Elvira clip: "Spoiler alert! Yes you do. Boo creepy doctor!..." in TBTWD. Lol every time.

The pop up after the 7th or 8th shot in Manos...
"Debbie, your deadbeat parents are looking for ya". Always gets me.

#4119 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Can someone please share a picture of the house ramp motor bracket, specifically how the spring is connected to the cam shaft. The manual is inconclusive about position and I want to make sure I have it in the right spot.
Rob

Does this help? If you need a different angle or area just let me know.

1595307056888674234813747704208 (resized).jpg1595307056888674234813747704208 (resized).jpg
#4121 3 years ago

Never had it apart. That's how it came from Stern. I guess that doesn't mean it's right though. You should have seen how my VUK came from the factory

#4223 3 years ago

During the Santa Claus mode the lights turn red when you hit the shot and back to green when you hit it again. Is this just a fun Christmas theme or is there a significance to which shots are which color? I guess I don't play that mode quite enough to get the rules figured out.

#4273 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

Does the action button do anything besides wheel of fate and finishing off deadheads?
Also, do the junk items in the trunk do anything. I thought I read at some point they help with some modes. I'm not seeing visual cues indicating this, but I could certainly be missing them as I play.

Skeleton key: unlocks the far right window of the house to start Santa Claus vs. The Martians, The Giant Gila Monster, and The Satanic Rites of Dracula modes

Lab Test: increases jackpots in multiball modes

Atomic Raygun:(using the action button) can count as a hit on deadheads, score a jackpot during multiball, complete a shot during a mode, some things you can turn on and off in the settings

Dagger: as far as I know doesn't do anything yet

#4377 3 years ago

See posts 4119 - 4122 for some pictures of that assembly. On page 83 of this topic.

#4386 3 years ago

Does the Undead Fred head look like Robert Duval if he was a zombie?

#4387 3 years ago

My first mod to my first machine! I put pin stadiums on tonight. Still trying to dial in the colors I want, but thought I'd share a couple photos. Really like the UV flasher hooked to the shaker motor. First pic is turned off.

IMG_20200805_023530 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023530 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023547 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023547 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023613 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023613 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023644 (resized).jpgIMG_20200805_023644 (resized).jpg
2 weeks later
#4624 3 years ago
Quoted from teddyb73:

I know what you're saying. That guys problem was the ball was coming out the side of the house because of the post Elvira was still talking before the mode started. Mine goes up the front ramp Elvira start stalking and then the ball rolls back down the front ramp.
That post is just a hold that ball in the subway in till the mode starts then release the ball back into the play field.
Maybe my pitch is off on my machine and that's why that is happening.

I get the same thing quite often. I just assumed it was the playfield angle, but don't really know. Mine is at 7.5 degrees.

4 weeks later
#5033 3 years ago
Quoted from damadczar:

Anyone know of a game play stream running latest or near latest code? I haven't seen one since it first started shipping. Been thinking about hunting one of these down, and wanted to see more current code and gameplay.

Dead Flip twitch channel has streamed each code update so far I think. They're probably on the you tube channel as well

#5087 3 years ago
Quoted from whiteyjfm:

I will look into changing the coil stops myself again. I know my limitations and don't want to mess up a $8000 pin. If I can do it myself, trust me I will. Thanks for all the info. Like to learn a new thing or 2 every day.

I'm a first time pin owner and changing coil stops was simple. (Had to do it with less than 100 games on the machine) I followed a video posted by hurryuppinball and he shows it step by step. It's in this topic somewhere, just not sure where.

1 week later
#5249 3 years ago

Isn't that what you're doing every time you make a mode shot? You add one more scene to the film with each shot until it's completed?

1 month later
#5825 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I finally have the crypt put back in my Elvira. I wasted MANY hours on this mech and I'm still not convinced it isn't going to cause me problems again soon. Stern sent me a replacement assembly, but I could only use the plastic slider because what they sent me was missing decals and other parts. The new slider immediately jammed against the opto support bracket which has an edge to push the skull forward as the carriage moves down. I had to put a 1.5 mm shim behind the skull to keep the slider forward a bit.
It works, but already showed signs of sticking a bit. I even put a tiny amount of white lithium grease on the slider plastic. The skull also bounces up a bit from some hard hits and probably shouldn't, but there is absolutely no way to fix that. I have had this thing torn apart, put together, mounted, tested, removed, torn apart again many times. I'm just going to leave it for now and play the game.
Question: Does anyone else's crypt skull bounce up a tiny bit when hit hard sometimes?
Rob
[quoted image]

My skull itself moves just a couple millimeters up when it's hit. The whole door/skull assembly moves up and down just a bit when it gets hit hard.

#5827 3 years ago

I just installed the quiet fan in Elvira. What a world of difference! I can't hear it at all while it's running. For you guys with dedicated game rooms it's probably not a big deal, but my pin is next to the main living area in my home. That fan drove me nuts.

3 weeks later
#6039 3 years ago

I just completed Santa Claus mode. If there's an Easter egg in there it was too subtle for me to pick up. Maybe it was Santa yelling Merry Christmas when I completed the mode? Not sure if I've seen that particular clip at the end before?

#6047 3 years ago
Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

Anyone know where this spring goes to?
[quoted image]

There's a few pictures of that assembly on page 83 of this thread. Hope it helps.

#6050 3 years ago
Quoted from whoknowsgoi:

And how you would get to whatever it connects to

It hooks to that flat metal bar coming down. As for getting to it I'm not sure. Hemostats maybe?

PXL_20201202_222629495 (resized).jpgPXL_20201202_222629495 (resized).jpg

#6134 3 years ago

Gappa Angry has definitely got a bug with the sneaky lock in the trunk. Twice tonight I've started Gappa Angry. Got the sneak in after the first lock the first time. Got it after the second lock the second time. Both times the screen acknowledged the sneaky lock, then went into ball search mode. Eventually, kicks the ball out of the trunk, but after draining the mode ends without any multiball.

No problems as long as I don't sneak into the trunk.

1 month later
#6526 3 years ago

Hmm... My outlane posts came in the top position. I moved the right one down to the middle spot though. I prefer the left lane wider for the hand of fate, but the right lane wide open just made me mad.

3 weeks later
#6977 3 years ago
Quoted from Drac:

Does anyone have a photo of a premium with the Stern side armor on it? Any thoughts on how they look on a premium?

I like the way they look so much I bought a set.

PXL_20210118_042350531 (resized).jpgPXL_20210118_042350531 (resized).jpg
4 months later
#9242 2 years ago

I've had Elvira a little over a year now. When I first got it I had the rapid Happy Hour scoring from the right ramp. I adjusted the opto alignment and it's been fine until last week. I noticed it start counting 2 or 3 right ramps each time instead of just 1. So, tonight I decided to readjust the alignment again.

So, I slide the glass off and take a look and it's a really tight fit to get in there. I take off the crypt roof and then remove the entire ramp to get to the opto screws. It was here that I thought, "I don't remember it being this complicated last time". For whatever reason, my brain has just ignored the fact that I should start by lifting the playfield up from inside the cabinet. I turned a 5 min quick fix into almost an hour.

Just thought I'd share my embarrassment.

Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid.

1 week later
#9341 2 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Looking to install Pinstadium NEOS, any suggestions on best flasher to tap into?

I play in the dark and think they really help. The "spooky" atmosphere and artwork are enhanced by the selectable colors and brightness, not ruined. Just my opinion though.

I hooked the GI lighting to one of the top lane lights and the flasher to the shaker motor. (I don't have a shaker motor installed) Seems to work well for me.

5 months later
#10384 2 years ago

No worries if you missed it. I forgot yesterday too. Changed the date to Christmas day, played the hidden room and got the special clip and changed the date back. I'm really surprised there's no Easter egg on Halloween.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jtgribble.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=jtgribble and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.