• Also own Elvira and the Party Monsters 18 votes
    7%
  • Also own Scared Stiff 60 votes
    24%
  • I own all three now! 29 votes
    12%

(249 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 818 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20200521_213551 (resized).jpg
3A056D96-ABA7-45A4-97B9-C2E2A7316583 (resized).jpeg
smoke.gif
Untitled-1 (resized).jpg
not cut house (resized).jpg
cut house (resized).jpg
20200625_180219 (resized).jpg
20200625_180156 (resized).jpg
20200625_180234 (resized).jpg
IMG_7396 (resized).jpg
15940976619144602989167211163253.jpg
15940973585791307581887367200895 (resized).jpg
elvira (resized).jpg
20200706_144446 (resized).jpg
20200706_144659 (resized).jpg
FF5B6337-3AD7-45D7-BDB2-9DC519964EFD (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

7 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #1848 info on different ball guides Posted by SKWilson (5 months ago)

Post #1849 info on different ball guides Posted by SKWilson (5 months ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 months ago)

Post #2375 Fix for balls coming out of the house during mode start Posted by Wildbill327 (4 months ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 months ago)

Post #2518 VUK fix Posted by Pozzest01 (3 months ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (39 days ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#40 9 months ago
Quoted from Manic:

Ok I'm interested. Just how much extra does Stern get for applying a certain number to a machine?

$250 for numbers below 25
I think it’s $150 for anything else

#44 9 months ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Initial code release 0.83. Did anyone notice it's 6.2 GB in size? That's enormous!
By comparison -
Munsters LE - 1.8 GB.
DP LE - 2.2 GB
B66 LE - 3.8 GB
SW LE - 4.0 GB
There is going to be TONS of content in EHOH!

Don’t read much into file size. Pre 1.0 releases of Batman had a couple of GB more than what’s in the code now (mostly unused video footage). I presume Lyman loaded up everything he *might* use and will cut it down later.

1 week later
#281 8 months ago

Had an LE day 1. Gave it up because of concern over the playfield clear issues.

Saw the LE cabinet at Stern - beautiful. Saw the Premium cabinet at Expo. Not a fan.

My distributor didn’t have any more LEs and didn’t expect to get any more (no surprise)

Found an available LE this morning and took it. Hope the playfield won’t be an issue.

I have a CQ Elvira and Scared Stiff and will have the trilogy together soon!

#298 8 months ago

Spoke to Greg at length tonight at Expo. He indicated the deadheads are going to morph into more of a hurry up shot construct.

#312 8 months ago

Who has or is considering a playfield protector?

The shoot across the PF from the VUK isn’t as extreme as I thought it would be but it seems like a protector might be a prudent move.

#344 8 months ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Any LE owners have one on location in the Denver area?

Never understood putting LEs on location other than to be “first”. As an LE buyer, I’d never want one that had been routed.

But if there’s one on location in the Denver area, I’ll come play it to support the operator while I wait for mine.

#352 8 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Hey owners - now that we have all had some time to play our new games make sure you rate it here on Pinside. It would be nice to see where it falls on the top 100 list. We only need a few more reviews to be officially ranked.

Might be a little early to rate the game.

#361 8 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Hmmm... Not a big update... Just really seems more like a bug fix update.

Umm, it’s been less than a week since the last update. Exactly how much code do you think can be developed and tested in a few days?

#397 8 months ago

For those that have/will have all three games - are you lining them up together chronologically or some other way?

I was thinking EATPM/SS/HOH but thought that HOH/EATPM/SS might work too.

(HH is moving to the other side of the room)

86379EF0-D9EE-4D98-852F-12E21487A16D (resized).jpeg
#400 8 months ago
Quoted from Dnis:

I originally had mine lined up left to right from oldest to newest, but found that made it more difficult to get to the power switch on EHOH (It was against the wall on the right, so I decided to mix it up & put EHOH in the middle..[quoted image]

My games are on remote outlets so I don’t have to worry about the switch.

But your configuration is not one I had considered.

#406 8 months ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Hi Owners,
Due to the size of my room I can only have a three pin line up, which is currently Simpsons Pinball Party, Scared Stiff and Popeye. While I do enjoy the Popeye, it would be the one to go if I wanted the new Elvira. Do you think having two Elvira pins and the Simpsons be odd or unbalanced?

Not at all. SS and HOH are/will be different enough but will clearly complement each other. Lyman will make HOH quite deep and it will take you far longer to get tired of than Popeye. Unless you are a huge Popeye fan - go for it!

#410 8 months ago

For those that have had their games for a couple weeks - have you noticed any pooling issues with the clearcoat?

#431 8 months ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Does anyone know the big difference between the limited edition and premium beside the cabinet art/cosmetics? Are all the mechanics/toys the same between both models suck as gargoyles jumping and house have RGB Top spinning ETC? I interested in purchasing a model but not sure if it worth the extra money for the cosmetic stuff only

Playfields and game play are identical.

#432 8 months ago

Playfield and gameplay is identical on all models.
I bought the LE based on the cabinet artwork alone. The powder coated rails, mirrored backglass, HD glass, shaker, upgraded audio system and inner side art made the decision a no brainer since those were things I'd add anyway.

And the LE has different stickers on the apron. The key difference is that the LE includes autographs from the Stern design team.

#438 8 months ago

You’re missing one

#441 8 months ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Ive been asked. Yes i can do the speaker panel too if youd like to match the trim[quoted image]

Do you have the ability to photoshop a pic to see what it might look like on the game? I’m interested in doing some of the pieces but don’t want it to look overwhelming (I think the coin door could be too much)

#449 8 months ago

Apparently Stern has not finished building all the LEs yet. I am (im)patiently waiting for word on mine. Anyone else in the same boat?

I would have expected all the domestic LEs to be done by now. Can’t quite figure out the numbers, but wondering if having multiple titles on the line is resulting in fewer HOH games being produced per day than we would otherwise expect.

It would be cool to have an LE produced tomorrow though.

#451 8 months ago

Your game has probably already been made. They were sequential serial numbered and people have already received LE games in the high 3xx. My guess is your vendor was slow to pay Stern so you got moved to the end of the line. Some vendors like mine pay on day one for their allotment. Others wait until they have collected the money form the buyers and then send it in. It is a bit of a game the the vendors play. Early vendor payment usually means lower serial numbers.

Could be. But the distributor I bought the game from at Expo (paid in full) specifically told me the game hadn’t been built yet and it would be a couple weeks before it would be shipped. I guess I’ll see when I see the manufacturing date. I was just wondering if anyone else was still waiting.

#456 8 months ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Just wanted to post game is #397[quoted image]

I suspect this debunks “this time Stern did the LE numbers in order”

I think #397 is a very cool number.

#458 8 months ago

Nope, they're in order - I bet your serial number is 297,706.

I’ll let you know in a week or so.

#462 8 months ago

If people want to start submitting their serial numbers and date of manufacture, I'll add them to the first post with their game numbers. That would prove/disprove any correlation.

I like it. Anyone that arranged to have a specific number should note that with an asterisk though.

#477 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Guys,
Could you please not post all your serial numbers? We are giving thieves access to serial numbers of games that are not stolen.
Unfortunately not all of us are honest and genuine and we are giving thieves a data bank of serial numbers that they could possibly use on a stolen machine. I was hoping the posting of serial numbers would stop and the numbers would be buried in pages and pages of nothing in a public forum.

Ok, I’ll bite. How do you think a thief is going to use these? These aren’t like VINs on a car. A pinball machine isn’t something that’s easy to steal and I can’t image anyone bothering to forge a serial number when there are so many other ways to ID a game as yours.

Serial number info helps the community figure out production numbers and understand the history of the game.

#486 8 months ago

In Australia the serial number is the id for the machine. So a thief steals a game, goes to Pinside and gets a serial number from the USA, prints a new tag and sells the machine, no one in Australia is the wiser. This actually happened here a few months ago and our community is much smaller than yours.

I still don’t get it or understand what “this actually happened” means. In your example the machine is still stolen and the number on the sticker is irrelevant. The thief doesn’t have to find a real serial number to put on a label; they can just make one up. And the original serial number can be verified by the mfg or distributor.

Certainly don’t have to post your serial number if you don’t want to but either there is much more to this story or you are, as the other poster said, a bit paranoid.

#494 8 months ago
Quoted from whitey:

What’s this plug for ?[quoted image]

Tournament button, remote volume control, pin port. I have the remote volume control on my Batman and love it.

https://www.pinballlife.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=PBL-100-0062-00

https://pin-port.com/

#504 8 months ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:Like many people on pinside have said before. There are many experts on Pinside that know everything about everything.

Says the apparent expert in how thieves can use serial number information to steal games.

If this issue really bothers you as much as it seems to, please start a dedicated thread to discuss it.

#506 8 months ago

You might be responding to the wrong guy.

A thief is not going to benefit from knowing a game’s serial number or using another number (real or fake) on a machine he stole. The whole idea that posting any serial number on Pinside is dangerous or helps thieves is absurd and it seems to stem from the misunderstanding of an Australian police officer that wasn’t interested in doing his job.

#518 8 months ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Its always the distros last le when u call.....lol.

I supposedly got the last LE the distributor I bought mine from at Expo. I don’t really care if it is/was, I just want the game to ship.

I’m sure there were quite a few dealers who only got a few games so getting “the last one” probably happened a lot.

#536 8 months ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

Anyone else waiting for there LE to ship? I heard Stern ran out of parts and is waiting on more.

I hadn’t heard Stern was waiting on parts but that my game hadn’t been built yet so makes sense. I thought all the LEs were being built first, but there quite a few Premiums out there so who knows.

I hope I get a more definitive update this week.

#547 8 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Has anyone else noticed that the yellow insert on the left loop says "Drive Me Crazy" while the yellow insert on the right loop says "Drive Me Car-zy"?

I heard about this at Expo. Don’t remember the details, but they are different on purpose.

#609 8 months ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

Hey guys. Are there still LEs available out there? If so, what is the real street price I should expect (not MSRP)?

Yes, there are a few. It’ll be tough to find one under MSRP at this point, but cash or a wire transfer might increase your odds.

There’s also an HUO LE in the marketplace for $9k.

#615 8 months ago
Quoted from Blackzarak:

Got home from work today and wife surprised me with a elvira figure to display her inside I was pretty stoke let me know what you guys think. She looks on fire[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Released in 2010, it’s quite pricey on the secondary market but it’s a very nice likeness and the whole “Attack of the 50’ Woman” angle could certainly work with the theme. (Is she standing on a pop bumper?)

A very nice gift from your wife. I’m just happy mine let us get the game.

#621 8 months ago
Quoted from hbagz:

code update, proper alignment, and power adjustments were a must.

Congrats! Would love to see the side decals in person. From what I understand it’s almost impossible to take a representative photo.

What do you mean by “proper alignment”?

#624 8 months ago

hbagz - I see Gary didn’t sign the COA. How do you know it’s actually an authentic Signature Edition?

#626 8 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I would take hers over his any day.

Absolutely.

#631 8 months ago

Some enterprising distributor (or Stern) could have made a lot of money selling T-shirts and translites for the signing/photo sessions with Cassandra. I just happened to find the T-shirt by dumb luck at the Stern factory tour. I did manage to snag one of the limited edition backglass prints, but would have loved a signed translite.

51FE2FD8-B062-4FEC-A4AC-F58C1F4483BD (resized).jpeg
#636 8 months ago
Quoted from dracula40:

Any updates on when the Premiums will be shipping? Thanks

End of next week is what I heard. LEs/SEs finished earlier this week.

#668 8 months ago
Quoted from Cgpinhead:

How many people still waiting on there LE?

I am. Mine is supposed to ship tomorrow.

#677 8 months ago

The signature edition is nothing more than catering to those that want to pay a premium for artificial exclusivity. It’s even more of a straight cash grab than the Batman SLE which at least had custom audio. An easy quarter million split between Stern and the distribs that got an SE allocation.

It’s ALMOST possible to justify the difference between a Premium and LE, but it’s just bragging rights to move up to an SLE/SE.

I went with the LE because I really dislike the cabinet art on the Premium. If $5k wasn’t significant to me I might have considered an SE though I don’t particularly care for the speckled armor.

#698 8 months ago

Figures. Leave the house for a few hours and miss the apparently cool images.

#712 8 months ago
Quoted from WackyBrakke:

Stern always drops the ball on toppers. Star Wars? Woulda sold a ton at game release. Now, probably not. Black knight? Woulda sold a ton at game release. Now, probably not. On and on, we’ll never see a topper for Elvira. They should just stop trying. It’s pathetic.

And Musters has been a disaster. Don’t think a single one has worked correctly out of the box.

#716 8 months ago

Got my playfield protector from Germany today. Now I just need my game.

#724 8 months ago

My LE is finally on the truck to Denver. Now that I actually know when it should be here, the wait is even more agonizing. Illinois to Colorado is too far.

#733 8 months ago

For those that have put boney flippers on the game - do you like them? Do they fit the theme/game as you would think they do? What color flipper rubbers did you use?

#742 8 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

Got my playfield protector from Germany today. Now I just need my game.

LE 335, serial #297622 arrived today. So much for the correlation between LE and serial numbers.
(At first I thought the number was 333 which would have been awesome).

5F33639D-37ED-489A-AF64-4D69E3D7829A (resized).jpeg

#743 8 months ago

deleted. Duplicate.

#749 8 months ago

The correlation is correct. You have serial number 297662 according to the box, which is the correct SN for 335.
And congrats on the game!

Maybe this is why my scores always suck. I can’t read the numbers ...

#750 8 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I put Pinstadium Omegas in my Elvira LE tonight. I love them! I have them set at only 20 percent because I really like the dark effects and haunted kind of feel the game has.

I thought about ordering a set but my concern was that they would interfere with the cool lighting effects on the house when it looks like the house is moving. Do you see any degradation of that effect at all?

#764 7 months ago

Got it downstairs from the garage! (Not an easy task at my house). But no time to set it up today

Will set up and check it out and then move it into the arcade by EATPM and SS.

For those keeping track, my date of manufacture was 11/1/19.

139B6898-D6EE-463E-8955-6E8630495388 (resized).jpeg79D03862-60F9-42C8-8D17-C743A0B1F28D (resized).jpegB15B179F-0A2E-4A28-882D-FED588938EC0 (resized).jpegB6C3D61B-5F45-4185-AD9B-EA63A53EDA1A (resized).jpeg

#766 7 months ago
Quoted from lasermel:

Clearly code is early as the headphone adapter isn't even functional yet nor is it in the adjustments menu.
So much more to come and really looking forward to it!

What headphone adapter?

#768 7 months ago

Ah. Ok. Then I presume my Pinnovators PinPAC4 won’t work yet either.

#774 7 months ago
Quoted from lasermel:

Anyone ever get this message? Doesn't happen all the time, but it's concerning. Checked all my connections/plugs and they all seem ok.
[quoted image]

Are you getting this with the coin door open? If so, it’s because the interlock switch isn’t engaged.

#779 7 months ago

Did any LE owners get the price card replacement shown in the release photos? I just got the standard ugly ones.

A7ADA4DB-8100-4391-8B3F-4EAE58601990 (resized).jpegB0DA8267-81E7-4AA9-B165-8D15831A6D2D (resized).jpeg
#780 7 months ago

Forgot to mention my game, manufactured 11/1/19, came with 0.86 code installed. Seems they are getting code to the line faster.

#794 7 months ago

I'm kind of dangerous when I have time off from my real job.

Great job on the protector, but this was my favorite part of your post.

#796 7 months ago

Heard from mad_dog_coin_op that he’s not able to mass produce. I’ve reached out to Cliff to see if this is something he would consider making.

#799 7 months ago
Quoted from Cliffy:

I'm willing and able but obviously not if stern is going to make it themselves. That would be foolish on my part Fool me once, shame on them- fool me twice, shame on me

I’ll reach out to Stern tomorrow and see if this is on their radar.

#806 7 months ago
Quoted from Sethman:

I would reach out to Stern to verify if they haven’t already fixed it.
Mine was built oct 22 and jfh was in Nov. I think they might have already modified that plastic.
I know it’s a crappy pic but I don’t feel like tearing apart my ramp for no reason.
Mine is not broken and it looks like that bottom section is already removed.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I’ll take a look tomorrow and see what’s on my game. But I’ll still get with Stern to verify, get the replacement part number and see if there is a list of production changes.

#808 7 months ago
Quoted from Sethman:

I would reach out to Stern to verify if they haven’t already fixed it.
Mine was built oct 22 and jfh was in Nov. I think they might have already modified that plastic.
I know it’s a crappy pic but I don’t feel like tearing apart my ramp for no reason.
Mine is not broken and it looks like that bottom section is already removed.
[quoted image][quoted image]

I can’t tell if my plastic is modified or not and couldn’t get any pics that helped. I’d have to take the left ramp off to verify.

I’ve got another issue that’s holding me back - the Start button function isn’t working (the lights are). Annoyingly, I can’t find a piece of wire to test it by shorting the terminals. Hope the cabinet node board isn’t bad.

(I spoke to Chas today but forgot to ask about the house plastic)

316E062E-6D27-4A3A-B341-C5147D64C04F (resized).jpeg7B3712F5-4D8A-4DFE-9605-837601C65BB7 (resized).jpeg89B00F8D-951E-4771-8CC6-0A33795C39E6 (resized).jpeg8B35EE71-7EAC-4481-9441-A7223862BD5F (resized).jpegF569F000-3242-4658-B533-5D7B26C52014 (resized).jpegFFA56D4A-7299-4183-9AA3-B902B5DB84BA (resized).jpeg
#811 7 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I got my LE today. I couldn’t help but notice that you cannot properly seat the playfield into the cabinet because of the plastic pieces on the back left and right. The front hooks are loosely resting on the lock bar because of this. The game plays fine, but I suspect that once the rumble is more present this could cause unnecessary damage.
Has anyone experienced this?[quoted image]

I didn’t notice the plastic pieces and my front hooks sit firmly in the lock bar.

I did notice that the playfield can come off the support rails easily though - no catch/lock mech any more. Watching the playfield fall into the cabinet was t fun. Took two people to get it out

#814 7 months ago

Update on the 545-1129-04 Go away plastic piece.

Spoke to Pablo at Stern. That plastic was supposed to have the bottom left piece lasered off so the right tab essentially formed an L so a plastic with both the left and right brick tabs is incorrect. This wasn’t something that was explicitly corrected in production but was a problem with some of the plastics used to build the house assemblies (i.e. there isn’t a new or replacement part number). [Note that parts does not have any of these in stock]

Attached is a picture of the portion of the plastic that was/was supposed to be trimmed away or “missing”. I won’t be able to verify that I have the correct version until I take the left ramp off to install my playfield protector (which won’t happen for a few weeks).

It appears that if you have the trimmed version of the plastic a Cliffy type protector isn’t needed.
702B6945-9D38-407C-8EEC-0968710576DF (resized).jpeg

#826 7 months ago

Has anyone been able to make the back door skill shot and/or make it repeatedly?

I haven’t tested the opto itself but also don’t know what is supposed to happen with the shot.

#829 7 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

I struggled to make that shot when I played it at expo. Its definately challenging but is doable every once in a while. I like harder skill shots like that a lot more than the "hit the lit rollover" type.

What exactly is the shot? Is it just break the opto beam?

#832 7 months ago

Elvira feels like a classic Bally title all the way.

This.

I’m still trying to get my game tuned and haven’t played that many games on it yet, but there seems to be a lot more to it that initially meets the eye.

#834 7 months ago
Quoted from Mogg:

My biggest issue thus far has been keeping these optics aligned.

Which ones are you having problems with? Are you finding they become misaligned after you align them?

As far as I can tell, mine are all working so I presume they are aligned.

#856 7 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

TRUNK MULTIBALL is no longer allowed to be started during GARAGE
MULTIBALL, and vice versa.
I'm not happy about that change.
I don't think you should be able to stack trunk with garage. But, I do think you should be able to stack garage with trunk.

I only got both going at once once and thought it was pretty cool. But I actually thought it was an error so .87 will work the way I would have expected.

A lot more is clearly coming before we see 1.00 level code. It’s fun to see the progression as we go along, though I can see how that would be frustrating as an operator.

#857 7 months ago

I’ve been getting a over current error on node board 9 intermittently at boot up which I think indicates a short in an LED or coil controlled by the node. Unfortunately when it happens it seems to clear before I can get to node board test to see what the game thinks is the problem.

Anyone seen this on a Spike 2 game before? Any suggestions for debugging it? Would you worry about this if it only happens infrequently?

#865 7 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

2. The new call-outs for the Back Door are f!@#ing awesome!
7. Did I mention how awesome the call-outs for the Back Door are?

Going back to a previous topic ... how the f!@# do you make the Back Door shot to hear the f!@#ing awesome call-outs?

#888 7 months ago
Quoted from fooflighter:

do you ever get the ove rcurrent during play or just at startup?

So far just at start up

#909 7 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes. If your game has a white switch on the left side of the coin door then you will get those notices whenever the coin door is open. Just shuts off high power so any boards using more than 12V I think don’t work. Definitely not the 48v ones.

If you want power to those boards with the door open, pull the white interlock switch out to restore 48V power.

#922 7 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

The worst part about the protector on this game was that the rollover slots on the left outlanes were way out of alignment.

i presume you cut them to fix? What did you use to cut?

#934 7 months ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

ELVIRA #033 IS IN THE HOUSE. Been up since 5:30 this morning couldn’t sleep, all anxious. Finally pulled the trigger on her after waiting a month. Will add more pics once she is unboxed.[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s always exciting to get a brand new game. Makes one feel like a kid at Christmas!

#973 7 months ago
Quoted from gawcol:

Just one question. Is this picture of the old house not included?

Unfortunately no.

1 week later
#1077 7 months ago

What trees are you using?

#1102 7 months ago

New code:

V0.88.0 - Dec. 3, 2019
======================

- Fixed issues with the house ramp and diverter motors, esp. when the
interlock switch disables the power to the node boards, which results
in a loss of communication to the boards.
- Fixed the "UNSELECTED" icon for trunk test; it was the same as the
"SELECTED" icon.
- Support for the headphone kit was missing. This has been corrected.
- Removed unused adjustment and messages.
- Added switch compensation for disabled house ramp diverter; if
disabled, awards for the HOUSE LOCK will be given out on the RAMP OPTO
(due to inaccessibility).
- Added new lamp effects for starting a haunt.
- Improved SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS haunt:
- Added sounds for santa jackpots.
- Added new "hurray for santa claus" music.
- Updated rules.
- Added timer restart for shots made.
- Fixed an issue where the trunk lid would stay open when it should not;
i.e. after a player played trunk multiball and left the multiball with
the trunk lid open, the lid would stay open.
- Improved abruptly changing player score font sizes during BONUS.
- Kept track of previously played deadheads so they will not be repeated
for the same player in a game.
- The background lamp effect for TRUNK MULTIBALL was not displaying the
trunk item lamps that applied to the second multiball properly. This
has been corrected.

#1105 7 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

It doesn’t look like the new code fixed the error with the trunk freezing up with two balls in it and going to balls search causing modes to time out. Why didn’t they address that???

Because maybe they didn’t know about it in time to add it to what they were working on or haven’t been able to code/test a fix yet.

Or maybe it’s fixed and not mentioned in the readme.

#1125 7 months ago
Quoted from Wakky:

My LE already has a factory shaker installed ? Why put in a second one ?

He doesn’t have an LE.

#1162 7 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I seriously can not believe the number of hacks out of the box required to even get this game playable!
I love the ingenuity of us pinheads to find a way but a serious WTF on this game!

At least the code is going to be epic ...

So far it seems that many of these issues have been corrected on November builds though I’ll have to look to see if anything has been done with the ramp spring.

#1163 7 months ago

Did a number of small things to my game today (Cliffys, USB extension, PinPAC4 [which is awesome!], screw and assembly checks) but decided to wait and install the playfield protector next week. Looking for tips from those that have done one.

Someone had mentioned that one of the left return lanes needed to be cut but eyeballing it not sure that will be necessary. Hope not anyway. What adjustments did folks make?

The ramps clearly have to come off and looks like the house has to come off unless you cut the protector at the very top (don’t want to do that).

Can anyone share tips/steps to removing the house in the fewest possible pieces? Anything else you did with the house off? Ditto on the ramps though they look pretty straight forward.

Did you take the crypt (or crypt roof) off?

Going to Novus 1 the playfield and use it to get off the sticker residue, then lightly wax the top of the protector (not making the mistake of waxing the PF again). Any other suggestions? I’ll post pics of my process next weekend.
74CF51EC-6053-4857-A182-9834AFAFA36C (resized).jpeg

#1164 7 months ago

Clearcoat is back to thin, I like this and I nearly did not put the playfield protector on.

It is certainly significantly thinner than on some playfields I saw earlier this year. But the clear may still not be hard enough. Noticed an issue under the apron where the clear had been depressed by the apron installation. It’s in an area not visible, but still bothers me a bit. But didn’t notice any chipping or areas of pooling or separation elsewhere so fingers crossed that Stern has the issue figured out (though I still think no art areas are a bandaid and not an indication that the clear problems are actually in the past).

The wood itself is surprisingly soft - if I had any doubts about putting a protector on, I don’t any more. I shudder to think what these playfields will look like with a few thousand plays on them

0F081BBE-8E3A-41F3-BCBA-E691A617CE7F (resized).jpeg
#1176 7 months ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I cut my protector at the top. Its hidden behind the house, made install so much easier and the relief cut made it lay flatter, imo. I wouldnt hesitate to cut it.

How does it provide relief to lay flatter? Do the cuts now overlap or did you take an additional slice off one of the cuts? Did you have to cut any other portion to install? Did you take anything off the playfield beside the ramps?

It seems that cutting the protector would allow installation without removing the house but would also allow dirt to more easily get to the playfield in an area that virtually every ball has to travel. I might consider a cut if it doesn’t lie flat (or if the house is far more difficult to remove than it appears) but can’t really make that determination without seeing how it lies.

#1183 7 months ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

No buddy has the headphone kit installed on the latest code?

I have PinPAC4 installed and it works perfectly with 0.88 code, but I have read that doesn’t use the same connections as Stern’s headphone kit so it may not be an apples to apples comparison.

#1190 7 months ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

...any topper developed for this great game should be all about Elvira...she is and always has been the focal point here...perhaps inspiration should be taken from Byron Winton's work..."Creature Feature"...Elvira on her couch surrounded by all the classic and campy monsters we have grown to love...the suggestion of a graveyard topper is simply lame.[quoted image]

I love the idea of Elvira on the couch ... seems obvious. But I’ll reserve judgement until we see what Stern’s is going to do. It’s also possible that Stern went this route to avoid additional licensing costs with Cassandra.

Can anyone who snagged pics of what Dennis was going to do before Stern asked him to remove them comment on how similar the are and which looks better?

In any event, Stern doesn’t have the best track record with toppers lately (e.g. Star Wars and Munsters). Let’s hope whatever they do for Elvira gets released quickly and actually works/works reliably when installed on a game.

#1191 7 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Ok, let's see if we can try this again..we've taken on feedback and made some changes. We shrunk the large tombstone by half and broke up the three others into single tombstone. Each of the single tombstones replaces a ramp flasher and the big tombstone flashes white, tied to the house ramp skull flasher. I think this works much better.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I think these look better. Have to think about using all of them or think about alternative locations (I’m not sure about using them on the ramps as they seem to distract from the film monsters).

Can you look into a replacement for the front of the crypt, even one without LEDs? I’d love to see a 3D replacement for the flat plastic.

#1195 7 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I refuse to believe the picture we've seen is the actual Stern topper for this game.

Umm, Stern billed it as a sneak peek on their web site. What in the world makes you think it isn’t the Stern topper?

#1203 7 months ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Were are all the Mods at? When Munsters came out the Mod couple and Mezel Mods were on it!!!! Come on guys where are the good mods.
Magicchiz

I’ve contacted both. Neither company is planning mods for Elvira.

#1233 7 months ago

Update on “Go Away” plastic on left side of house:

Although my game is a November build, I had the early version of the plastic (bottom pictures). Replaced it with the correct version (top picture).

My game did have the metal skill shot guide and the nylon ring on the right side of the ramp.
B41ABA32-3CD1-42B4-8841-54546C1EE245 (resized).jpegDE2AE9A5-F6C2-4A12-AD5E-B5C17DE0F50F (resized).jpeg
77530CBD-B4A1-4629-AF05-5CA9C07C30EB (resized).jpeg

#1234 7 months ago

Notes on install of my playfield protector. Thanks to tips from those that have done it.

Took off roof of crypt and removed wood screw holding it down
Removed left metal ramp entrance and both parts of left plastic ramp
Removed right ramp
Disconnected ramp wiring (optos/flashers)
Removed gate at top of shooter lane by right inlane (did not remove opto spinner by crypt)
Removed flippers
Removed house (but did not disconnect from below)
- Remove turret screw and turret top (eye goes front)
- Remove 2 screws on roof by chimneys; remove roof.
- Use a magnetic 9" 1/4" nut driver to remove 4 wood screws the house down through the top of the house. Lift house up and set it on its side on top of the pop bumpers.
Removed sling and lane guide plastics and sling rubbers (not critical, but made fitting much easier)

Checked fit of protector.
Cleaned the playfield with Novus 1.
Cut the protector at the middle of the top.
Took film off back of protector.
Cleaned back of protector with Novus 1
Took film off top of protector rather than fitting it first (because of piece that goes under cellar ramp)
Fitted protector.
Cleaned top of protector with Novus 1
Reverse above steps.

A few notes -

In order to install the protector without cutting it would require removing both the house and house ramp assemblies. I really didn’t think removing the ramp assembly was a good idea so decided to cut the protector (at middle top) and take out a small sliver as others have done. That was the only cut needed in the protector. Unlike another poster the outer return lane by the left sling did not have to be trimmed. Some of the switch cutouts could have fit a little better but none prevented from proper switch operation.

Instead of removing the spinner assembly just bent/maneuvered the protector down the left side and underneath. Take care not to scratch the top side of the protector when you do this as it’s a very tight fit.

There is a small overlap of the protector over the trough entrance but it doesn’t look like an issue. Can cut it if you like as it’s hidden under the apron.

While you are doing this, consider installing sling and inlane plastic protectors and/or boney flippers. I decided against the boney flippers for now because the bare white looks too stark against the playfield. Will probably go with the boney flippers after painting them to look distressed/weathered and with accents that pick up the green of the swan. I did go with purple flipper rubbers though (and replaced the Stern coil stops).

When you are done, enjoy the glossy look of your protected playfield and don’t wince every time the VUK shoots the ball across the playfield!

I don’t want to get into a debate about using playfield protectors, but after putting on on Batman 66 and now Elvira HOH I’m going to put them on any future game I buy NIB unless the quality of the playfield wood, paint and clear coat returns to what we used to see. IMO, very cheap insurance for a new playfield with no impact to game play (or I’m not a good enough player to notice any).

Total time was a little over an hour but probably would be much faster if you have experience tasking off the ramps and the house.

#1235 7 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

It see,s that almost everyone’s ramp hits the right gargoyle that’s just how they assembled all of them. Impossible to move without drilling the playfield. Mine is taking put. Good news is Keith himself says it’s not to worry about.

Keith? You mean Dennis?

#1236 7 months ago

Just realized that none of the stand up targets on either side work on my game. Not sure they ever have. Same with the opto spinner. None of them work in switch test; switch gaps look fine. Physical connections at the switches look fine.

Edit: looks like they are all on node 8, connector 12. Will have to find connector 12. Hope it’s the physical connection and not the node board itself.

Edit 2: CN12 connector had gotten pulled loose. Easy fix.

#1238 7 months ago

Must be that plastic couch cover you just put on your game. seriously this has to be is a new proplem for you. The game is unplayable without those targets. It is most likely something simple.

Couch cover. Lol!

Wouldn’t call the game unplayable without them but very annoying at the very least.

#1241 7 months ago

I'm hoping you just knocked something loose. A failed node board would suck (but covered under warranty). Please report back your findings.

After looking at the manual I’m thinking the CN12 connector on node 8 is loose (easy) or that circuit on the node board is bad (not fun). The 7 switches not working are all on that connector. Fortunately I have a spare node board so can check both. Will look at it tomorrow and report back. But whatever it is, I’ll remember it as “the couch cover problem”

#1248 7 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

After looking at the manual I’m thinking the CN12 connector on node 8 is loose (easy) or that circuit on the node board is bad (not fun). The 7 switches not working are all on that connector. Fortunately I have a spare node board so can check both. Will look at it tomorrow and report back. But whatever it is, I’ll remember it as “the couch cover problem”

Couch cover problem was an easy fix. Suspect it happened when moving the support bracket to change the left coil stop as the bracket is right over node 8.

1C59BD6B-5BBC-4A59-B444-D7C0CA1EC7B5 (resized).jpeg
#1249 7 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Dear JFH, do you have some wet spots under playfield protector? Does the Novus 1 cleaning prevented them from appearing?

I didn’t see any spots or discoloring today. Will report back if they show up.

I did have spotting after I put the protector on Batman but pretty sure that’s because I waxed the playfield before applying the protector which is not recommended.

#1250 7 months ago

Something else is going on for those with the opto issues, especially if they are working in test. The very first thing I would do is a full code reinstall (load everything, not just changed code). The second thing I would do is make sure there is no play in mounting (i.e. the screws are tight).

#1252 7 months ago

It’s a little hard to see the ball in this picture (right at the bottom post) but I’m seeing the ball get stuck there quite frequently, typically when the ball is launched. Most of the time ball search will result in it being kicked loose, but not always. Anyone experiencing a similar problem and come up with a solution? My game is set at just about 7 degrees.

I’m thinking part of the problem is that the flasher cable isn’t dressed properly. Mine is pressing on the right side of the cover plastic for the bottom pop bumper. Also - is the triangular plastic -59 in the right place? Can’t figure out what it would do in that location?

5788E8A6-7504-4A82-BC91-BBF714CB7C65 (resized).jpeg

E1A99EC4-E8C0-4CE5-B5E5-C76C9D8375D5 (resized).jpeg
#1259 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Our latest mod for EHOH...Lighted Skeleton Key. The skull eyes are interactive with the GI, turning off and dimming. We also can offer a version that will interact with the skeleton key insert, substantially more labor and parts for that. We've also relocated our lighted bat to the back left, floating him off the backboard above the ramp turn.
https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=t%2Felviras-house-of-horrors-pinball-mods[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I like the looks of this one. Pretty significant upcharge for the insert version though. Isn’t this just a difference of where the mod connects?

Does the insert version also react with the GI or just turn on/off with the insert?

Can you post a pic from the backside? Want to see how it’s wired.

#1261 6 months ago

For those that have replaced the SD card - what size is it?

#1264 6 months ago
Quoted from TerminatorNo1:

And when I already have the other two, the decision wasn't that hard.

That was a big factor in my decision too. Glad the game turned out to be a fitting companion to the other two.

The Elvira trilogy seems to have worked out for fans of the first two than it did for Black Knight fans.

#1266 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

I know Batman took forever, but I can only hope that doesn’t get repeated. It’s an expensive game taking up precious space and I think most of us would like the game further along, I certainly would.

Can’t really compare Batman and Elvira code in the development cycles. Batman 66 was moved up and out of order in the schedule so it really was pretty much a box of lights at release. Lyman also revamped the direction of the game some months in which caused additional churn in the code development, requiring more time. Elvira was pushed back in the development cycle though Lyman wasn’t able to take fully take advantage of that. However, unlike Batman, his overall plan for the code hasn’t changed. That was made very clear at the team seminar at Expo.

Everyone is waiting to see what Elvira will become. I don’t mind the journey - I actually enjoyed watching the code progression with Batman and I expect the same with Elvira. Would I like to see the game further along? Of course. If it were anyone else on the code I would have waited to see where it ends up before buying. Too many have been burned by code disappointments over the past few years. But I decided I *really* preferred the LE and decided it was worth the gamble to be in early because of Lyman’s perfectionism and because his track record speak for itself.

Yes, it’s an expensive game I had to sell a family favorite to make room for. Visually, the game is a perfect fit with the previous two. The “get these monsters out of my house and back on the film” theme is perfect for an Elvira game. I’m a home collector with a lot of patience, not an operator that has to see immediate results. I waited 23 years to have a worthy follow up to EATPM and Scared Stiff - I got one designed by the Elvira dream team. I can wait a while longer to see where Lyman and company bring us with House of Horrors.

#1276 6 months ago
Quoted from frg:

Okay - problem solved…
The motor of the diverter behing the house was kind of blocked due to the switch leafs were too long and overlappeg the metal part. So that they finally got stuck in the Wood.
We bended them a bit so that there is no overlap… works fine now.
The overlap might cause a total disfunction or a partial disfunction. With shorter leafs or more distance to the wood cutout this could have been easily avoided.[quoted image]

Please report this to Stern

#1277 6 months ago

Moved Elvira in to the arcade!

Still trying to figure out what order they should be in, if I should put LEDs in EATPM and if the LE actually has glare reducing glass in it
21F0EA16-E639-4DB2-8566-2D57FC7C3595 (resized).jpeg74B65E47-44FE-4C1C-848E-202EF7081A4D (resized).jpeg8E0F5DDC-89AD-4327-A162-07573D6492BF (resized).jpeg

#1280 6 months ago
Quoted from arcyallen:

Regarding the stuck ball, I'm taking a closer look at it. It looks like the ball is resting between the pop bumper and the black rubbered post behind the crypt. I'd wonder why the pop bumping isn't popping in this situation. My best guess is there's a little wire loop right there maybe pressing/numbing the pop bumper response.

I’m thinking on mine the wire for the flasher might be getting in the way. I meant to check this before I put the game in place.

#1288 6 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

where did you get the spider web on lock down bar?

That’s from Tilt Graphics:

https://www.tiltgraphicsinc.com/product-page/elvira-house-of-horror-lockdown-bar-accents

#1299 6 months ago

Which do people like better for a playfield figure? The cartoony Rock Candy one? Or the more realistic Amok Time one?

Trying to decide if I want to put either on the game.
2414DF2D-B43A-4003-91E9-02362D26F9F9 (resized).jpegC55D836C-E53A-4613-B3D0-0EC6AAD6E38F (resized).jpeg

#1301 6 months ago

For those that have put trees in the game - what did you use to attach them?

#1306 6 months ago
Quoted from Indusguys:

After seeing pics of Stranger Things I sure am happy with my decision to get Elvira LE. Just based on the artwork along Elvira is soooo much nicer to look at.

Stranger Things has some interesting features but the artwork doesn’t hold a candle to what Greg Freres did on Elvira (especially the LE). The art has the feel of a Bally game and complements the other two games nicely. Ten years from now Elvira will be seen as a classic from the LCD era just as the previous two games are classics from their eras. Pretty sure Stranger Things won’t age as well.

However I suspect Stranger Things will sell far more copies than Elvira. I don’t know if Elvira games just aren’t really out on location yet but there doesn’t seem to be much general interest/buzz in the game beyond those of us who are old school fans of Elvira and/or the previous two games.

#1308 6 months ago
Quoted from zwartepanter:

The artwork on the playfield is the same, no?

Yes, playfield art is the same on all three versions. I got the LE because I think the like the cabinet art (and the mirrored backglass) far better than that on the Premium.

#1309 6 months ago

This is a few weeks old but has some nice commentary and background by Greg Freres on the game:

#1313 6 months ago

Looks like two new deadheads and some minor cleanup/tweaks.

V0.89.0 - Dec. 23, 2019
=======================

- Improved loading times for Tilt Warning and Tilt graphics.
- Un Happy Hour and Drive Me Crazy mode timers are reset to 15 seconds
(adjustable) when a shot is made and the timer is below this amount.
The mode will be resurrected if the shot is made during the grace period.
- Removed the moving super jackpot for Wild Women Multiball. The super
jackpot will remain on the center (house) ramp.
- The display effect for completing Trailer Trash (center ramp shot) is
now requested as choreography (stacked behind other effects) so it will
show up after, say, making a jackpot on the center ramp during garage
and trunk multiball.
- Added lamp effects for Crypt 2 & 3 start.
- Cleaned up unused audits
- Record Trunk Lock awards (these were not being recorded).
- Record Hand Of Fate awards (these were not being recorded).
- Record number of Haunts started (so people don't have to add up all of
the individual audits).
- Added Mummy (deadhead) to the Deadhead Family Crypt.
- Improved load time for the Drive Me Crazy background graphics.
- Added speech and lamp effects for Un Happy Hour
- Ignore House Ramp Opto during single ball play after arrival in the House
Lock in case of a rollback.
- Added tilt effects for the haunts. These are requested some percentage
of the time when the game is tilted when a haunt is running.
- Added HSTD for garage/trunk multiballs.
- Display the custom message every pass through the Attract Mode.
- Added Beach Head (deadhead) to the Deadhead Family Crypt.
- Fixed issues with the crypt motor, esp. when the interlock switch disables
the power to the node boards, which results in a loss of communication to
the boards.
- Put House Diverter UP at game over if HOUSE LIT AT GAME START adjustment
is set to YES, otherwise DOWN.

#1325 6 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

To all you owners, can you answer a few questions about Elvira for me.
How does it shoot? Any mech issues or QC issues to be aware of? And how’s the code shaping up? jfh I know your a fellow BM66 owner how is the code, say compared to BM66 Lymans last outing, is it similar at all?

@pinballaddicted touched on most of the points I would mention.

The game is more fun to shoot than I thought it would be. Almost all of the shots are long and the ramps are incredibly smooth and fast. Some don’t like that they aren’t wire forms but I think the plastic ones are part of what makes it fit in so well with EATPM and SS.

I have not run in to any mech/QC other than typical NIB game adjustments. Like others I had some loose screws (insert pinball collector joke here). I do have an issue with a ball getting stuck frequently at the bottom of the pops but expect I’ll figure that out. The predominant mechanical issue seems to be the cellar ramp shifting to the right. Later production games have a nylon washer which seems to address this. It’s too early to tell if the playfield clear issues are behind us but the clear is noticeably thinner than on other 2019 titles and I haven’t seen any issues (or seen any reported here) yet. Playfield wood seems softer than that from Batman a few years ago so I’ve put a playfield protector on it.

I haven’t played enough yet to know everything that’s in the code but it doesn’t seem quite as deep as Batman was at a similar level. The biggest difference I noticed is that there isn’t anything similar to Parachute Pickup which is a fun mode disconnected from the episode play. I would love to see a mode like that that is something totally different from a haunt. The Haunts are conceptually like Batman episodes but implemented differently and don’t feel similar. Lyman requested specific “Jackpot” inserts and has coded them much like games in the WPC era which is very cool and a nice throwback. It is very evident that Lyman is paying attention to game play detail and that a lot of the little things are getting cleaned up with each release just as he did with Batman. I suspect there is some depth in the game I haven’t seen yet and, based on his comments at Expo, I think Lyman has much more planned for the game.

If your question is also “Is it too similar to Batman?”, I would say no. They shoot very differently; Elvira is a much faster and less nuanced game. Elvira feels like you are playing a deeper more modern version of a 90’s game - doing what Munsters tried to do - and that has a totally different feel than Batman.

I like both themes a lot though I’m a much bigger fan of Batman 66 than the Elvira franchise (if I was forced to keep only one of the Stern games it would be BM66). But I’m very happy with Elvira so far. It is a stunning tribute/compliment to EATPM and SS but also complements Batman 66 well with the campiness and nostalgia better than Stranger Things (which, like Elvira, wants to invoke nostalgia, horror and humor) that feels designed more to take advantage of a hot title than one that will stand the test of time.

#1326 6 months ago
Quoted from J85M:

lermods pinballaddicted thanks for the reply’s, going to get some hands on with both Elvira and Stranger Things at the beginning of the year but I think Elvira is going to be an easy choice, artwork alone is leagues above Stranger Things and the house is friggin cool.

Yeah, didn’t really touch on the artwork. Elvira artwork is classic (Greg Freres!) and hand drawn, not some Photoshopped hodgepodge. I’d much rather look at Elvira in my game room than Stranger Things. And the lighting on the house in Elvira during play is beyond awesome.

I look forward to playing Stranger Things, but it’s not a game that fits my collection or will hold my interest like Elvira does.

(But tell yourself distributor no new Stern for you unless they take care of your failed node board!)

#1327 6 months ago

Comment on the Stranger Things thread that the layout is very similar to Elvira (and that the ST art is nostalgic in a Miami Vice cocaine sort of way)
1752D1C5-CC17-4CC0-B799-A7DFF43F3FDF (resized).jpeg

(Of course some say the Elvira layout is similar to Medieval Madness too)

#1339 6 months ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

can you please share it somewhere? noticed i dont have those two, thought i had them all...

Just out of curiosity, why do you want to have them all? I’m not even sure you can safely back level the code if there have been node board firmware updates involved.

#1346 6 months ago
Quoted from splitcms:

New code is a great improvement. Does anyone know why the switch by the bumpers doesn’t do anything? Have they mentioned what they have in store for this?

Which switch are you referring to?

#1354 6 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

And even Elvira doesn't look like Elvira... There is a lot of diffusion going on in regards to how they lit her.

Yes, the lighting is extreme. Cassandra was 68 years old during the filming for House of Horrors. Does she look like she did 30 years ago when EATPM was released? Of course not. But she certainly looks like Elvira and, in character, jokes about her age. I don’t give a damn about the lighting.

#1360 6 months ago

Merry Christmas everyone!

Enjoy time with family and your wonderful gift from Dennis, Greg and Cassandra!
866C31EE-AAD7-4B84-9784-B80F74C67B28 (resized).jpeg

#1365 6 months ago
Quoted from gawcol:

Never had a pin that needed so much adjustments out of the box.

What have you had to do?

#1375 6 months ago

I know that the rotating turret is going to be used in the Wizard mode somehow but does anyone think it’s likely that it will also be used to “load” a set of haunts for each face (i.e. the eye loads 6 haunts, the bat loads another 6, etc)?

I was wondering how we were going to see more movies than we can see now (and also mindful that may be a lot more work than Lyman’s planning with the code).

#1384 6 months ago

What pitch/level are you guys setting your games at?
Are you able to make the back door skill shot where its set?

#1387 6 months ago

Finally got to “House Party”. What an absolute blast! Don’t want to spoil it for those that don’t know it but the introduction to the mode is a brilliant homage to a classic Elvira pinball moment and the music, lights and animations are epic.

I wish there was a flipper code where you could immediately start that mode if the game was on free play.

#1394 6 months ago
Quoted from GAP66:

Had 2 broken plastics straight out of the box. Not too worried though you don`t notice them unless someone points them out.[quoted image][quoted image]

Get Stern to replace them. You had/have the bad version of the house plastic. It should look like this:

387878AA-6218-41B4-A84E-8409125493DF (resized).jpeg
#1396 6 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

It's out of stock for now, that's what said the tech support...without ETA

I got the same answer when I first called but had it about a week later.

#1398 6 months ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

For real though there needs to be a short ball safe after the crypt kicker. Even with power adjusts its screws you hard

Yup. Every time I think I have the power adjusted correctly the game proves me wrong.

#1401 6 months ago

Since there isn’t a ball save, I may try closing up the left outlane post and see if that helps. Others have also adjusted the VUK itself so that may be something to look in to as well.

But an adjustment for a Crypt ball save would be very welcome. I like the adjustment idea because those that don’t want a ball save could just turn it off. I’m going to send a note to Stern suggesting one and encourage others to do the same.

#1404 6 months ago

I’m an owner that now has all three Elvira games and I think this one complements the other two very nicely and it seems that it will be a long term keeper.

Going by the poll, this is the first Elvira pin for almost 1/2 of the owners. I’m curious what drew you to EHOH as your first Elvira game. And, now that you have it, are you interested/likely to get an EATPM or Scared Stiff to go with it?

#1405 6 months ago

pinstein - does the GI change at the top near the pops make it easier to see the inlane lights? The white GI reflections on mine make it very hard for me to see which lanes is lit.

#1422 6 months ago
Quoted from Lermods:

an option for a flasher mod to illuminate the front of the crypt, interactive with the crypt flasher.

Does it replace the crypt flasher or flash at the same time as it?

#1423 6 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Will it be feature complete at 1.0? I doubt about it,
unless we have less frequent updates, so more consistent ones in the future.

Yes it will (or should). 1.0 is the new internal definition of feature complete. Lyman can put whatever he wants in a release and number it any way he wants. He doesn’t have to be 95% done in the .95 release.

#1435 6 months ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Ok if I’ve never seen any Elvira films and don’t really know much about her works, would I still enjoy this pin? I like campy humor like MM or MBr type humor etc. Right now I’m debating either an Elvira premium or MMr LE.

Both options are great choices. (In addition to owning an original MM, I own both EATPM and SS).

I’m not a huge Elvira fan per se and don’t know a lot about her shows and movies but love the campiness, humor and what Cassandra has done with the brand. I really like the design and art that Dennis and Greg did for the first two games. The game is beautiful and complements the other two nicely. It looks like a Bally game would with the plastic ramps, specific Jackpot inserts and throwback hand drawn art.

The game does a good job at mixing all the elements - haunted house theme, horror, humor, camp - and the music is a big part of that. Early on I thought the game was going to be too dark for an Elvira game but as I have gotten further into the game I’ve found that’s not true. The music adds a lot to the game and can switch the tone of the game from creepy horror to flat out fun in an instant (the use of “Shout!” is epic!). The lighting will get there, but the RGB light shows on the house are simply amazing.

The shots are more satisfying than they initially appear and the modes use variety well. There are a number of modes that either don’t exist or aren’t complete yet and there is a significant amount of unused sound and custom Elvira video so I suspect there is more to see. There are callouts from Tim Kitzrow (EATPM, SS, AFM, RFM and others) and Elvira that help with the throwback feel. The ramps are smooth and wicked fast. The trunk, house and crypt are seemingly simple but a lot of fun and the lift ramp and subway add to the nostalgic feel.

Would I like the game if I didn’t have the first two? I think yes, because of the feel of the game, how it shoots and the fact it’s a Lyman game (as is Medieval). He did an incredible job with Batman and you can see where he’s going with this one. There are plenty of things you might appreciate only if you know Elvira and her shows or even just the first two Bally games but HOH doesn’t depend on either. The game will clearly end up being a deep one. But that will take some time.

You can’t go wrong with Medieval - it’s time tested classic with great flow, humor, smooth as butter ramps and one of the best toys ever in pinball. It’s a classic game from the 90’s where Elvira has that same 90’s vibe and feels like a game Bally might do today.

Both games execute their themes beautifully but, if I had to choose between MMr and EHOH for home use, Elvira would get a slight edge (primarily for the variety and depth of code).

#1444 6 months ago
Quoted from zwartepanter:

Unboxing Elvira with friends... Bummer, wouldn't start properly, so update done. Nothing... Game is bought here in Belgium with proper importer... What is going on?
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

The 1 8 9 error is just because the coin door is open and the interlock switch isn’t pulled out. The last message indicates your game doesn’t not have the export Version of the CPU node. Your distributor should be able to get you a proper replacement.

#1445 6 months ago
Quoted from VividPsychosis:

This is easily fixed in 1 minute. Go to settings, lower the factory default power for the vuk by 10. Ezpz fixes problem entirely. The next code update just needs to make the factory setting 10 lower than it currently comes.

Not necessarily true. Mine is at 240 and I still have problems. I’ve tried a number of values but still get outlane drains. Finding the balance between being powerful enough to hit the targets without draining isn’t quite that easy. An adjustable ball save activated with the VUK would help.

#1460 6 months ago
Quoted from blimpey:

I found these tombstones on Amazon.
I used them in a few places to conceal exposed screws and diffuse bulbs.
I think the set was about $15.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Great idea!

#1467 6 months ago
Quoted from fastchef:

Hey Guys, I’ve played an LE a bunch of times and really enjoyed the game. Also watched a bunch of streams. I am thinking of getting a LE and just concerned about some issues I’m reading in regards to the ramp and trunk issues. I’m thinking the LE’s were built before premiums so not sure if that means anything. Any input would be much appreciated.

Nothing to worry about physical issues regarding the ramps and trunk. Any adjustments necessary should be found when you do your initial setup and game review.

#1474 6 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Do I photoshop her images and just use real life photos of the Mistress, or do I use those as a layout and then pay one of my artists to draw what I made. The artists art style will not match Greg's art style. Just no way. But, with it being still colored art, it might in a way fit the theme of pinball better.

Really hard to say. I think a lot of it would depend on how different the artists styles are different from Greg’s. I think if you use any photos that they would need to be different from the ones usually used for Scared Stiff.

#1530 6 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

Single drop Cliffy protector on the Crypt entrance perfectly fits:
[quoted image]

Is that a stock Cliffy or a special one for Elvira?

1 week later
#1573 6 months ago
Quoted from turbo2nr:

LOL, back to playing!
.[quoted image]

First thing to do on a new Stern game is to replace the coil stops. They must have a million defective ones ...

#1590 5 months ago
Quoted from Mar:

Absolutely loving the game. However, I think I've reached the end of the code in just about everything and the game doesn't really progress after. Today I actually completed Gappa Angry for the first time (I didn't know it was completable), and it went into some weird two ball multiball mode where the ball save light was continually flashing and never went off. After I lost both balls the game didn't know what to do, because the ball save light was flashing, yet it didn't want to spit out any more balls into the shooter lane. So the game was basically in a crash state.
After a number of ball searches it decided there was a ball missing (there wasn't) and spat out all balls and let me play until I lost one of them and ended the ball - and the game seeing I was on ball 3.
So yeah, the game is incredible. But I'm kind of hanging for the later game modes to be completed or implemented. At the moment it's hard to motivate myself to play it because most of the time I'll reach a game state that doesn't do anything until I lose a ball.

Please submit a bug report.

#1636 5 months ago
Quoted from rockrand:

Could someone post a picture of a game with the correct part.I am sure it’s here somewhere but I can’t find it,
Thanks

89653E74-03E7-40BF-BA88-4B1A6DF1BC22 (resized).jpeg
#1660 5 months ago

Appreciate the effort but think the “wink” misses badly. It looks like she was punched or is missing an eye. Or maybe it’s upside down.

Too bad because otherwise very nice.

#1676 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Heres a couple with a wink. Grab em while you can

The first is well done (and gets the wink). The second is juvenile, tacky and disrespectful.

The Elvira character works because of camp, humor and innuendo, not crude exploitation. Obviously anyone can put whatever they want on their game but just because you can doesn’t mean you should.

#1681 5 months ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

Oh please she's made a career of exploiting her cleavage and body. Its dishonest to suggest otherwise. Shes been in playboy and Im sure doesnt have some taboo on sex. Its clear she enjoys being a sex symbol and the object of sexual fantasies to men.

You might be confusing the actress with the character she created.

#1705 5 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

Im considering this game again. I was a definite on this title and then it didnt wow me when it first came out but i played it at Pincinnati and really liked it. Couple of quick questions for you all. For those of you who own Elvira and JP, do you think Elvira is as good or close to JP? Also how would you rate Elvira compared to say AFM Remake or MB Remake?

I don’t think you can reasonably compare Elvira to one of the remakes (other than Elvira “feels” like what a Bally/Williams game might have been in the LCD era). That said, AFMr > MBr.

I have played a lot of JP2 and really enjoy it even though I’m not a fan of the movies. That’s not a big minus though because the game works fine as a dinosaur themed game. I wasn’t interested in it at launch, but could see owning it at some point. If you aren’t a big fan of Elvira, I’d probably pick JP2 - great shots, fun to play, code close to done. I think the game will hold up well long term.

If you like both equally or are a big fan of Elvira (or the earlier games), Elvira is a no brainer if you are willing to risk the time it will take Lyman to finish the game. I don’t foresee Elvira leaving my collection but I own EATPM and SS too and love having the trilogy.

Between JP2 and Elvira, Elvira is clearly the niche title. Sales aren’t as bad as Munsters, but JP2 sales continue to be strong so that’s a safe choice.

#1719 5 months ago
Quoted from Who-Dey:

I just heard that the optics shifting have been a big problem in the house and the crypt on this game. Any truth to that rumor guys?

I have not had any issues, though I tightened a number of them during my setting up inspection.

#1743 5 months ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Is there any differences between the Premium and LE playfield i.e. plastics etc, other than the apron?

No.

#1755 5 months ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

I'm hearing the lighting effects and code could be different on premium.

From where? That isn’t the case with current code and would be a departure from past titles where playfield features are the same.

#1758 5 months ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

have wondered how they would keep people from just adding it to the other versions if they are all really the same in boards and playfield.

The code can use info from the CPU board to determine model.

#1829 5 months ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

joined the club, premium arrives tomorrow, wanted an LE but my instant gratification disorder wouldn't let me wait a month for it

Premium? Neil, I’m disappointed.

But, hey, at least you’re in the club ...

#1861 5 months ago

New code:

V0.90.0 - Feb. 6, 2020
======================

- Allow HAND OF FATE SPIN to run from the LEFT OUTLANE switch (when lit)
while all BALL SAVERS are active.
- BALL SAVE from HAND OF FATE is eaten if BALL SAVE is awarded when the
wheel is activated.
- The LEFT OUTLANE lamp was remaining ON after the HAND OF FATE wheel was
started (it should be turned OFF once the wheel comes up). This has
been corrected.
- When starting GAPPA ANGRY a second time, the FREAK FRYER feature will
not be started unless the player completes at least 1 level (i.e. locks
at least 1 ball).
- Points are now awarded for DIRECTOR'S CUT and the mode stops immediately.
- Locking a ball in the GARAGE with balls already locked would not wait for
the BALL LOCKED effect to finish before trying to kick. This has been
corrected.
- Added a new mode for collecting all of the awards on the HAND OF FATE
wheel: MANOS WHEEL
- Runs until the RIGHT TARGET BANK is hit one time, or the JACKPOT is
collected. (This feature can run from ball to ball as long as none
of the right 3-bank targets are hit).
- A mini-wheel with MANOS is displayed in the lower right portion of the
display. This wheel always spins.
- The following point awards are available:
250K, 500K, 750K, 1M, 2M, 5M
- Hitting any target on the RIGHT TARGET BANK awards the points being
pointed to on the wheel.
- The points that are awarded from the wheel are added to a JACKPOT
that is lit after the first hit on the targets. The JACKPOT can be
collected on the LEFT OUTLANE (SPIN).
- Removed a color effect that turned player scores black when there was no
match.
- Rework GAPPA ANGRY mode:
- New display effects, sound effects, light shows.
- Single ball mode.
- Build JACKPOT throughout.
- Stage 1: make the HOUSE RAMP, then lock a ball in the HOUSE LOCK.
- Stage 2: make the LEFT and RIGHT ramps, then lock a ball in the
GARAGE.
- Stage 3: make the LEFT LOOP, the HOUSE RAMP, and the RIGHT LOOP,
then lock a ball in the CRYPT.
- Stage 4: make the LEFT RAMP, the HOUSE RAMP, the RIGHT RAMP, and
the CRYPT, then lock a ball in the TRUNK.
- Stage 5: make the LEFT LOOP, the LEFT RAMP, the HOUSE RAMP, the
RIGHT RAMP, and the RIGHT LOOP, then lock a ball in the GARAGE.
- Stage 6: lock a ball in the CELLAR.
- If draining after stage 1, POOL PARTY is started with the 1 ball
that was locked in the HOUSE LOCK.
- If draining after stage 2, DANCE FEVER is started with the 2 balls
that were locked in the HOUSE LOCK and the GARAGE.
- If draining after stage 3, MAKE-OUT MAYHEM is started with the 3
balls that were locked in the HOUSE LOCK, the GARAGE, and the CRYPT.
- If draining after stage 4, SCREAM TEST is started with the 4 balls
that were locked in the HOUSE LOCK, the GARAGE, the CRYPT, and the
TRUNK.
- If draining after stage 5, RUN FOR YOUR LIFE is started with the 5
balls that were locked in the HOUSE LOCK, the GARAGE, the CRYPT, the
TRUNK, and the GARAGE.
- Completing all stages (6) starts GAPPA ANGRY MULTIBALL (6 balls).
- Added new mode: POOL PARTY
- Started from GAPPA ANGRY!
- Single ball mode.
- 20 bumper hits scores JACKPOT value from GAPPA ANGRY!
- Lasts until the end of the ball.
- Added new mode: DANCE FEVER
- 2-ball multiball.
- HOUSE RAMP (+ 2 gargoyles) and CRYPT (+ 2 gargoyles) lit for
JACKPOT value from GAPPA ANGRY!
- Added new mode: MAKE-OUT MAYHEM
- 3-ball multiball.
- LEFT RAMP, HOUSE RAMP, and CRYPT lit for JACKPOT value from
GAPPA ANGRY!
- Added new mode: SCREAM TEST
- 4-ball multiball.
- LEFT RAMP, HOUSE RAMP, RIGHT RAMP, and CRYPT lit.
- One shot (random) scores multiplied JACKPOT value from GAPPA
ANGRY!
- Other 3 shots multiply the multiplier by 2.
- Shots go out at you shoot them and reset when the JACKPOT is
scored.
- Multiplier is reset to 1x when JACKPOT is scored.
- Added new mode: RUN FOR YOUR LIFE
- 5-ball multiball.
- LEFT LOOP, LEFT RAMP, HOUSE RAMP, RIGHT RAMP, and RIGHT LOOP
lit for JACKPOT value from GAPPA ANGRY!
- Last shot made cannot be made again until a different shot is
made.
- Fixed an issue with showing the LOCKDOWN BUTTON light color for HSTD.
The button was showing green (instead of white) when initials could be
entered. It was also showing green (instead of black) during the
announce and award display effects when initials could not be entered.
- UN HAPPY HOUR start was not displaying the points for starting the mode
(shown as 00 sometimes). This has been corrected.
- Pause TRAILER TRASH hurry-up when the ball is in the shooter lane and
during choreography.
- Change TRAILER TRASH award so it is requested after multiball awards.
- Change TRALIER TRASH award so it is requested before house advance awards.
- Fixed the JUNK lights so they don't blink when they can't be collected.
- Keep the Haunt-O-Meter from being displayed before the background for
the mode it is used for.
- Added "FIND A BODY" stage to THE BRIAN THAT WOULDN'T DIE:
- Add new music, sounds, video clips, and background clips.
- Reworked the kick sequence for the CELLAR RAMP so the lamp effects run
correctly (raise ramp, kickout warning effect, kick, in that order).
- Disable CRYPT ADVANCE and AWARDS during GAPPA ANGRY.
- Kill start display effects when an award for a mode/multiball is given.
- Rework GARAGE multiball start lamp effects. Mask most lamps at start of
GARAGE multiballs so JACKPOT lights are visible.
- Remove DIRECTOR'S CUT display/choreography. This display was breaking
up the HAUNT final shot/Elvira outro and didn't flow well.
- Lowered FREAK FRYER increment number of switch hits from 50 to 25 (per
level), which should make getting to GAPPA ANGRY! slightly easier.
- Added new art and sounds for TRUNK MULTIBALL start.
- Fixed up ADD-A-ZOMBIE multiball super jackpot video clips and award
sounds.
- Added lots of shaker motor effects.
- Shaker motor default set to MINIMAL.
- Garage lock difficulty set to MEDIUM for competition mode. This requires
the drop target to be hit each time to light a lock.
- Added ball save for CRYPT VUK (default is 2 seconds).
- Made some changes/fixes to the Haunt-O-Meter display for the SANTA CLAUS
mode.
- Added TILT video playback functionality for the SANTA CLAUS mode.
- Fixed an issue that was keeping the Japanese man from speaking at the
start of GAPPA ANGRY.
- Swapped the blink order for the UN HAPPY HOUR advance lamp effect so the
UN HAPPY HOUR light doesn't stay off for so long.
- Fixed an issue where the TRAILER TRASH award was allowed to be canceled
with the flipper buttons when the ball was not being held in the house
lock.
- Masked off unused RGB arrows during HAUNT start lamp effect.
- Added intros to GARAGE multiballs (video clips + sounds & speech).
- Added user-accessible lag settings for the house diverter UP/DOWN
switches.
- Added Tom Kopera to the HSTD table. Moved Jerry up one spot. Made Dennis
the DRIVE ME CRAZY champion.
- Paused the HOUSE PARTY multiball ball save timer while HOUSE PARTY is
starting (i.e. start display/choreography is running).
- Increased the HOUSE PARTY auto-fire time from 15 to 20 seconds.
- Add gate logic to right loop awards.
- Removed unused TRAILER TRASH adjustments.
- Added an adjustment (default NO) that will carry over TRAILER TRASH from
ball to ball.
- Add HSTD for HOUSE PARTY. Fix recording of HSTD.
- Cleaned up HSTD. Removed unused display and adjustments. Reorganized
adjustments so HSTD adjustments appear.
- Added HSTD for HOUSE modes.
- Added Haunt-O-Meter support for the SANTA CLAUS mode.
- Added Chowdah Head (deadhead) to the Deadhead Family Crypt.
- Fixed hit speech (changed to FX) for Beach Head, Bone Head, and Jar Head.
- Reworked background lamp effect for THE WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON to show
terminating shots in dark blue.
- Reworked background lamp effect for MANOS: THE HANDS OF FATE to show Debbie
shot in dark red.
- Added a sound for when the drop target is hit but the player has already
lit the locks.
- Add white flashers to CRYPT start effect. Remove house RGB from CRYPT
start lamp effect.
- Added TOP LANES completed display effect (alligator).
- Improved the load-time performance of the DOUBLE TROUBLE art.
- Added a lamp effect for the BACK DOOR SKILL SHOT.
- Reworked the lamp effect for BALL LOCKED.
- Added speech for BALL LOCKED.

#1868 5 months ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Wow, now that's a HUGE code update. Can't wait to play it with all the new stuff, it sounds amazing!

And in a .01 release ...

#1965 5 months ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Who at stern are people contacting to get the missing ball guide, ramp spacer, and correctly cut house plastic? Thought a contact name was somewhere in this thread but hell if I can find it.

Call 1-800-KICKERS and the support team will take care of you. Much more efficient if you aren’t responding to an email about an existing problem.

#1988 5 months ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

did I miss a service bulletin?

Stern hasn’t done service bulletins in a very long time.
You would think they could send out an email blast to known owners when there are known issues, but they don’t.

#2006 5 months ago

Nice that the Back door callouts are back and Stern made it clear an Adult mode is coming, though reading between the lines those won’t be part of Adult mode.

#2032 5 months ago

The LEs weren’t produced in numerical order. If you want to compare anything use the build dates.

#2041 5 months ago

Does anyone have pics that show the difference between the original and updated guides?

#2082 4 months ago
Quoted from 1956PINHEAD:

I'm leaning towards Elvira but I am worried about that kicker on the right spitting the ball on the play field and the effects of that over time. Not sure how many games were on the game when I played it, the play field looked OK where that ball lands out of the kicker, so maybe I'm being overly concerned about that?

Put a playfield protector on the game and don’t worry about it. Inexpensive insurance and peace of mind. I put one on Batman 66 and love it. Putting one on Elvira was a no brainer especially after seeing the VUK.

Soft wood with Elvira will be disappointing. Use protection and play stiff, not scared.

#2100 4 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Transfer all three to the USB stick.

And make sure nothing else is on the drive except those three files.

#2114 4 months ago
Quoted from Peanuts:

We all have fingers crossed for that. With 26 movies in Elvira's Coffin Collection, and only 6+1 windows on the manor, the turret should have a role in the movie selection.

I think that was always implied, but that would require quite a few more modes to be programmed which might be a big ask given that we are at .91 already.

But if not for additional haunts I don’t know what else makes sense for the turret.

#2133 4 months ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

Versioning means nothing in terms of software, especially with stern's versioning system. If they used say semantic versioning system it would make more sense. Remember we have a haunt (maybe more) that is not accessible. I think the versions are really just the "hey this code base goes to testing" more than anything.

That used to be true, but changed a few years ago. A version of 1.0 is now considered “feature complete” (though that has only been loosely described). Now, that certainly doesn’t mean we won’t see a significant amount of new content before 1.0 (especially if Lyman’s pitch for feature complete included the idea of the turret rotating for additional modes).

If you review the readme’s over the last couple years you can get a clear idea of the progression of what feature complete meant and get a pretty good idea of what % of the code is done at release by looking at the initial version number. Stern gets a lot of grief for releasing games with obviously unfinished code but I give them a lot of credit for going to this new versioning scheme to try and give us a relative idea of code state.

#2162 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Hoping somebody can talk me out of why I shouldn’t make this my next game! How’s it compare to JP ?

If you don’t have a preference for either theme, it’s a tough choice. I have no interest in the JP theme but it’s a lot of fun to play and easily digested as a generic dinosaur theme. I didn’t think I would like a JP at all and was very pleasantly surprised. I think the shots in JP might be slightly more interesting than Elvira. Code wise Elvira will almost certainly end up being deeper because of Lyman.

Elvira mixes horror, camp and just plain fun very well and can be enjoyed by anyone but is much more engaging if you like/know Elvira (or at least the two previous machines). Elvira will be much harder to find once out of production because it’s no where near as “mainstream” a title and a significant percentage of Elvira owners (especially LE owners) are big fans of the Elvira theme so I don’t think there will be as many games available on the secondary market.

If you have a preference for once theme over the other, go that route. Can’t go wrong either way.

That said, my Elvira isn’t going anywhere anytime soon. I have the first two games and this is/will be a perfect finish to the trilogy (and I’m not an Elvira diehard). And yes, SS was considered a shallow game, but EHoH will be anything but when finished).

#2187 4 months ago

This looks like mostly polish and effects. Presume the next release will have more code/modes.

#2234 4 months ago
Quoted from tp:

Mirror blades,
Or artblades?

I don’t think mirror blades would work well on this game. On a Premium I would put art blades on or leave the sides black. The LE/SE blades are absolutely perfect and the Stern aftermarket ones are nice.

#2237 4 months ago
Quoted from Wildbill327:

Hopefully in the future L.S. will add a feature to the lock down button to allow us to change what’s on the display, kind of like BM66.

What exactly would you want to see the “channel change” feature used for? You aren’t running multiple haunts at the same time like multiple villains in Batman.

#2240 4 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Finally updated my game to .92 code. Will start to play right after I make this post.
But, I got good news. I didn't want to post about it before I actually got the machine in my house. But, I just added Elvira's older sister to my collection. One of them at least.
I just got Party Monsters.
Its a bit rough in some places. Wasn't the best deal... Wasn't the worst. I haven't finished setting it up in my home to play. But, that will be done soon.
I did order the new plastics and other stuff to refurb it. Still on the original plastics that are like 32 years old.

Two down, one to go

#2282 4 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Your game should have the proper guides.

Are you sure about that? People that originally had a problem had missing guides. I’m pretty sure the new kit has longer/redesigned guides than the originals. My game was manufactured on 11/1/19 and has original guides but not the new ones.

#2317 4 months ago

From SOTU:

Elvira – For all Elvira owners, please make sure you have updated your game to the most current code version (v0.92.0) released last week. Be on the lookout for a new code update later this month.

#2321 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

bullcrap .I installed full code by mistake.
I have video proof . Didnt want to play too long and mess something up[quoted image]

What difference does it make?

You got lucky.

I don’t recommend that anyone try this.

#2323 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinballer31520:

I did not recommend any one do this and the only reason I posted that I had video evidence is that someone disputed my claim that I downloaded the wrong code and I just inserted a SD card in .
Please try to follow the conversation

I followed the conversation. Obviously you didn’t because I didn’t say you recommended it to anyone.

What difference does it make that you have video evidence that you did something stupid or reckless? Maybe you did it on purpose and thought it was cool. Who cares?

And, in case you missed the obvious, you can do serious damage by running code for another game on it. As I said, you got lucky.

#2327 4 months ago
Quoted from hbagz:

crap. I did this recently because my SD card crashed and I switched out my card for a buddies Iron Maiden to test if my card had indeed crashed. what kind of issues can it cause? we played Iron maiden on my Elvira for a few minutes cause it was so funny..

The possibility of damage is low, but not zero. It’s really going to depend on how close use of switches/coils/circuits map from game to game. Any damage is likely to be seen in short order. If you see anything strange hardware wise power off immediately.

There is a slight possibility of node board damage (and theoretically bricking) with incorrect firmware if there is something game (rather than node board type) specific, assuming that’s even done. I’d feel better about this if Stern had released more details about the node board update process, but it’s also why I would never back level any game code without explicit instructions from Stern support.

The more likely issue would be something like a coil locking on/frying. If you played a game and nothing bizarre happened and nothing started smoking, you’re probably ok. But why risk ... wait for it ... the hand of fate?

#2331 4 months ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

It was posted partly as a joke.

He also posted it in the Stranger Things thread. Not sure it was a joke as much as it was “Hey, look what I did”. But I agree - back to playing Elvira code on Elvira’s House of Horrors.

#2336 4 months ago