IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider good-times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#12747 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Ive been waiting for years. Since then Ive compiled a pile of mods just waiting patiently to adorn her.
Official topper (thank you tilt)
Official shooter rod
External volume
LE sound upgrade with led speaker lights
Boom subwoofer
Pinwoofer external sub out
Purple blood drip set from back alley
Purple t molding
40th anniversary armor package
Playfield protector
Stern art blades
Shaker motor
Blood drip plastic protectors
Medisynal mods set
Roof mod
Signed Elvira card for apron
Ramp air ball fix
Left ramp ball lock alignment fix
Should keep me busy for a bit!

Wondering if you can dwell on the roof mod, ramp airball fix and left ramp ball lock alignment fix? Got a few of those mods myself ready to go but hadn't heard of these things before so want to be prepared. Cheers!

3 weeks later
#12977 1 year ago

Exciting times! I'm starting to order my extras for it, any suggestions to include? I have the Medisinyl set and a sheet of PDI, mirror blades and shaker going in, and was going to add the shooter lane protector, ninja balls, replace rubbers, and maybe add a trough light. Anything else I should sus out? I'll probably switch to some 5.25" drivers as well.

1 week later
#13361 1 year ago

Well the ETA to Australia is late April after weeks on the water so the rest of y'all think yourselves lucky

1 week later
#13598 1 year ago
Quoted from FlopTube:

What kind/color of plastic protectors do you guys recommend? Can’t stand looking at these washers

Just get the acrylic washers - you won't see them at all and they're far far cheaper than a plastics protector set. I've never broken a plastic.

#13632 1 year ago
Quoted from toaster777:

I'm still waiting on mine, hopeful that it will come as I've been told by the distributor I'm getting one. Assuming I do get one I want to upgrade the speakers. I see 2 options on Pinball Life - the flipper fidelity kit (https://www.pinballlife.com/flipper-fidelity-stern-spike-2-le-conversion-8-woofer-2017-present-lcd.html) or going with Scott Danesi's Boom Boom 3000 (https://www.pinballlife.com/boom-boom-3000-8-speaker-upgrade-for-spike-spike-2-machines.html) and the Kenwood LE speakers (https://www.pinballlife.com/stern-le-speaker-set-5-14-4-ohm.html). You'd also need the associated mounting plates so the pricing is about the same for either package.
Has anyone installed these in their Elvira or any other Stern? I'm not interested in adding an amp or external sub so really looking for drop in replacements like these 2 options. Just wanted to hear for others if one option is better than the other.

The Kenwoods are not very good - if you're swapping speakers out then a little more gets you the amazing Kicker CS5 speakers. They're way better (I've tried a multitude of brands). For the cabinet woofer, the limiting factor is the lack of power (is it 16w coming from the onboard amp?) rather than the driver. I've tried a few different options and all have disappointed until I've run an external sub amp. If you're really keen on doing it, you'll want to go for a driver with the highest sensitivity you can find (meaning it requires less power to achieve the same volume level as a less efficient one), and as high a QTS figure as possible (the compliance rating of its suspension, as being inside a pinball cabinet is effectively like running a free-air baffle, which most subwoofers do not like and will bottom out far too easily).

#13640 1 year ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

So your saying the Kicker CS5 perform much better than the Kenwood speakers? Which Kicker are you using it seems there are 2 different CS5 speakers...
[quoted image]

The first one there is the CS version, that's the one. Yes the tweeter is far more transparent than the one in the Kenwood, they have a higher sensitivity meaning they'll play louder at the same volume setting, and their continuous power rating is more than double that of the Kenwood's. So unless you're on a strict budget or for some reason want to emulate the LE speakers, the Kickers are the go imo.

#13643 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Do the kickers require any special mounting vs. stock? How about wiring?

No, you can run the CS4 in the stock speaker plate, or the CS5 in either an LE/5" speaker plate or with the 3D printed adaptor rings (downloadable file on Thingaverse).

MBW - I run an external amp but to an 8" aftermarket driver in the cabinet. I love the setup, you can feel as well as hear the improved bass performance, albeit with something needed to tighten up the glass channels!

2 weeks later
#14221 1 year ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:

I posted about playfield “wax” see my first post here. and yes I am aware novus 2 is not a wax, it’s a compound abrasive. Agree that’s bad advice on Stern’s part. Novus 1 looks like a simple cleaner with probably a light silicone “wax”. I actually cleaned and then treated the entire pin, cabinet decals, glass and all with turtle flex graphene spray which can be used on all those surfaces. Remember you are dealing with a lot of plastic or plastic coated surfaces, some wood, and some steel. Products like flex wax graphene are designed to e used on all those types of surfaces and create a protective, durable seal without being as permanent or invasive as say a clear coat or urethan. Carnuba wax, even in its pure form is expensive and not that durable and usually has petroleum solvents. My apprehension to such is wax is buildup, trapping dust and dirt, while can offer some protection, not that much, and synthetics well majority of the surfaces are synthetic. I digress because I know this is a sensitive topic and there’s a whole thread about everyone’s “wax” technique and how these discussions snowball.
I will my checkout pinball life, but I would also like to get actual stern parts and have in hand, the kit is supposed to be maintenance rebuild set that covers the usual wear and tear parts. suspect some third party parts can be iffy.
Thanks for the good info.

Actually many parts such as the coil stops and balls are horrid from Stern and stellar from PBL etc. Don't fall for the "has to be factory parts" thing with pinball.

#14274 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I'm thinking about passing on my scheduled Elvira die to the multi reported issues with this run, I am not mechanically inclined, any pin can have problems but often it'll will be a switch adjustment here and there but I don't want to do major tear downs to fix the house and the scoop etc..

I don't think it's any worse than any other game. If you're concerned, maybe you can ask your retailer to unbox and test play it before despatch/collection. That's what they do in Australia for peace of mind and it's great.

1 week later
#14454 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I put in the LE speaker upgrade. They are 4 ohm. Should I change the setting from 8 ohm to 4 ohm for these speakers?

You would think you should, but for me I think they do something other than impedance matching with this setting. Try it. I find the 4ohm setting makes the soundstage ridiculously compressed, and in 8ohm it opens right up.

#14495 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I think I maybe notice the same. It won't hurt anything will it? To leave at 8ohm?

By doing this it's possibly giving the drivers less current than they should have; the worst that might happen is you'll fry a driver if you have it so loud that it's distorting/clipping. At normal volumes I don't think there is any risk.

#14596 1 year ago

Re the shooter lane issues, I'm yet to receive my machine but from seeing recent pics, it appears the metal cut is similar to my old Munsters. That used to balls up the launch badly and I noticed the ball was getting air when it hit the v-channel section. The sharpness/thickness of that bit would also be scratching balls to sh!t as well I'm sure. So I dremelled the leading edge for it and problem solved. Definitely worth a try, even if it just prolongs your ball life. Scratched up balls will scratch up your clear more.

122162033_643255439701817_8773428241917542049_n (resized).jpg122162033_643255439701817_8773428241917542049_n (resized).jpg122153976_284014162680333_3975437563224475850_n (resized).jpg122153976_284014162680333_3975437563224475850_n (resized).jpg
1 week later
#14870 11 months ago

If you're not planning to run custom code, then just go to the latest code. It will work with non-IC ones as well. But my understanding is that maybe one version back from the current one was the IC update which also had a node board update. So if there's a custom code that you want to run, they may not have updated it to be compatible with the new node firmware. And you can't roll back the node updates once done (again from what I have heard, not tried it).

Having said that, I don't think you're missing out on any gameplay features by sticking with 1.01 (?)

1 week later
#14975 11 months ago

Just received my new machine today. Luckily only two minor issues; the shooter lane most are talking about and the turret doesn't stop square. Luckily they're minor and easily addressed, just thought I'd verify that you needn't stress about the new machines if you're sitting on one just in case (as I've seen a few comments).

This thread has been a massive help as well so thanks EHOH community! I was prepared for any of the issues, which still may present themselves as the game settles in.

It's certainly playing faster and more brutal than the ones I've played - not a bad thing, but I'm temped to close down the outlanes lol. Nah will probably leave them in the middle.

#14988 11 months ago

I can't seem to find the post with instructions on how to rectify the turret alignment by shaving part of the alignment tab/post. Any help would be appreciated, I recall it was a quick/simple fix. Cheers.

IMG_4025 (resized).jpgIMG_4025 (resized).jpgIMG_4027 (resized).jpgIMG_4027 (resized).jpg
#14990 11 months ago

That's the one - many thanks!

#14993 11 months ago

I use the plastic one from Mezel as it extends to the fork, smoothing the transition. I took trough eject power down from 255 to 150. Flippers down to 222 and slings 23.

IMG_4033 (resized).jpegIMG_4033 (resized).jpeg
#14996 11 months ago
Quoted from Pizza-Bob:

Where is the adjustment for eject at in the menu? Thanks

Go to adjustments and then the "game" section. They're like 10 from the end so hit the minus button and they're easier to locate.

#14997 11 months ago

Shooter lane question - the auto launch is perfect on mine. Smooth and makes it around to the left orbit side. If I manually plunge I get the rattles once it hits the playfield and often doesn't make it to the pops. The shooter tip looks perfectly positioned in the centre of the ball though which is weird. Any thoughts?

#15001 11 months ago

So this is interesting. My ball is launched straight and centred in the shooter lane. The end of the metal ramp is above the orbit guide rail, so it's not getting caught there at the last moment. Yet when it hits the playfield it just bangs straight into the left orbit guide and ricochets over to the other side. Not sure what I can do here - game is levelled.

Shooter lane view:

Played view:

#15002 11 months ago

Ok sorry for all the vids, I think it's the end of the ramp that tilts to the left, hence the ball suddenly firing toward the left orbit guide. It sticks up at the right, but if you push that down then the orbit's right rail will protrude, so I guess I'll have to try raising the left side a little to compensate. It's slight, but I reckon this is the issue hey.

#15004 11 months ago

I just put some foam under the short side (left side) of the ramp and it sits higher now. It’s almost worse now lol. Hmmmmm.

IMG_4075 (resized).jpegIMG_4075 (resized).jpeg
#15015 11 months ago

Think I’ve cured my shooter lane issue. It seemed to be curving left at the last minute so I put some acrylic I had from another mod onto the left side of the shooter lane toward the end. Just blu-tac for testing but it’s launching without rattling in the orbit now. I’ll probably print something a little less crude but this is working a treat now.

IMG_4093 (resized).jpegIMG_4093 (resized).jpegIMG_4095 (resized).jpegIMG_4095 (resized).jpeg
#15017 11 months ago

Trough light and two spotlights added. Would be great to get the middle of the playfield a bit more lit but don’t think I’m up for pinstadiums…

I wish Stern would tie the insider connect light to the GI. When every light is off, it’s still blinding me (I usually play at night in the dark). Think I’ll move it to the door.

IMG_4116 (resized).jpegIMG_4116 (resized).jpeg
Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15033 11 months ago

Mine was always good with the auto plunge but terrible manually. Well when I say terrible, if I manually plunged at full strength it was fine, and if I did a super soft plunge it was fine, but a medium plunge to hit the back door would never make it and just rattle then dribble down the right orbit.

My two changes were that plastic channel I put on the left of it toward the end, and the gate reverse. It's now good 95% of the time.

#15084 10 months ago

Mine got stuck a few times. I just have to ensure when I put the lockbar back on, I put it down on the left side first and keep an eye on the button making contact with the switch. Then let the right side go on. If I do it that way it's fine, if I place it down evenly, one press and it jams.

1 week later
#15143 10 months ago

Got both games, both different enough to enjoy having either (or both)! STh has some more difficult shots, so I find it more difficult to progress (not in a bad way). Sometimes I'll play mode progress, other times demogorgan progress, with Elvira you might go crypt focus, house mode focus, trunk etc.

3 weeks later
#15262 9 months ago
Quoted from JJDK:

I keep reading that this pin is easy. Well Not for me. Nothing but side outs and center drains. Getting tired of playing it. Turned slings down and it makes no difference. Jurassic Park is much easier compared to this pin. I am thinking of just getting rid of it. What is the trick to it.

The tiniest tiniest change can make such a big difference. I remember with another machine, I was hating mine. Then I played the same one at a mate's place and I was hitting everything. I can only attribute it to pitch and levelling, as well as flipper position. Often the little tweaks like the right orbit on Elvira where some machines spit the ball to the sling (dangerous) and a tiny piece of mylar sends it to the flipper instead (safe). Those cheap and easy tweaks can be all the difference.

I consider myself below average, and can have a decent game time on Elvira. A lot longer than JP that's for sure.

3 months later
#15950 6 months ago

This new edition is breath-taking. Finally Stern have realised that less is more sometimes when it comes to colour! I wish they'd offer this as a playfield only option. I'd swap mine out in a flash, but not willing to pump in the thousands more to flip my Premium for this version.

#15970 6 months ago

This yellow warning sticker has to go!

Screenshot 2023-10-20 at 6.21.51?pm (resized).pngScreenshot 2023-10-20 at 6.21.51?pm (resized).png
1 week later
#16179 5 months ago

Am I the only one who doesn't care about "achievements"? I know if I played the mode or not

1 week later
#16389 5 months ago

Photos do do that justice. That's just the most brilliant looking pinball machine I've ever seen. So wish I was in a position to add one!

#16407 5 months ago
Quoted from Capn12:

Man, the certificate being taped to that backglass drives me crazy. It took a good 20 minutes to get the tape marks off of ours, thanks to my wife dealing with it.

You should have left it on - it adds value when reselling

#16435 5 months ago

They're noxiously powerful/dangerous, so you may want to change it or leave it for the challenge! If you turn them down, try going down 10 at a time so you'll feel the difference immediately. Then dial in from there. I leave them stock, and have the flippers and vuk down about 20 each.

#16452 5 months ago

I would not update tbh. See how the next one goes.

#16458 5 months ago

I found sometimes the Cliffy for the shooter lane can dig into the clear coat. I use the plastic ones from Mezel (but love Cliffy elsewhere on a lot of games).

#16475 5 months ago

Hahaaaa anything's possible!! But I've only got the povo Premium edition of Elvira on hand

#16522 5 months ago

1.08 loaded, is anyone else getting the same issue I just had? Gappa Angry was lit when House Party lit, but I wasn't max'd out on the Freak Fryer. Then when I activated House Party, the intro vid was silent. Still buggy?

#16524 5 months ago

Ah interesting, I did the same thing. Was just going to be a quick game but had a cracker Ball 2, so logged in when Ball 3 was in the shooter lane. I wonder if that's related to the issues.

#16572 5 months ago

Once you install an update that has a node board firmware update, you can't roll back to previous code versions.

4 weeks later
#17066 4 months ago

In an LE they would, in a Premium you'd need an adaptor. They can be 3D-printed if you have access to one, or you can purchase an adaptor ring or speaker plate to accommodate. Alternatively most speakers available in 5.25" also come in 4" if you want a drop-in replacement for the Premium.

These speakers would be a perfect replacement for Labyrinth, the exclamation being very similar to the Barrels of Fun logo!

1 week later
#17152 4 months ago
Quoted from pghpinfan:

Have a couple of house turret questions. When you start a game should it rotate to the eyeball first? I thought it was Elvira first if so how do you correct? Also, when the turret light is on do you see a little light bleed through the bottom like the pic?[quoted image]

There shouldn't be any light bleed. Your entire turret appears to be offset. The roof overhang should be even on both sides.

#17209 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

When I changed it from 8 to 4 it made everything low in volume and it sounded muffled. The other settings recommended I kept but the ohm thing I was not diggin'. Its nice to have options I suppose but some make more sense than others to me.

I keep trying to hammer this point home to people - there are other issues in the settings Stern have chosen with this impedance selection which is playing games. 4ohm speakers sound far better on the 8ohm setting (and they shouldn't). It's almost like it changes polarity of one speaker, or applies some other filter that veils the sound and reduces soundstage width. Always leave on the 8ohm setting.

#17235 3 months ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:

I don’t have sound challenges, the stock speakers on the premium are junk and bought the LED Kenwood upgrade set which are the same as the LE+ editions. Didn’t dick with the woofer and simply turn the volume down. Never had any issues but the audio range, clearer is better with the upgraded Kenwood. The stock speakers are a cheap paper cone material.

It's the addition of a tweeter in the Kenwoods that make it sound better, not the change in cone material. I do wish they spent the extra few dollars in wholesale cost to fit coaxial speakers in all their machines...

1 week later
#17364 3 months ago

What's the deal with the pew pew mode and points? Sometimes when the mode is active, I get points every 'pew'. Other times I only get the pew sound, but no points (ie pointless to repeatedly hit).

#17492 3 months ago
Quoted from batman66SLE:

Unquestionable a film reel but the game is full of sex puns. That makes me question if the film reel could also be interpreted as an anus. I may have watched too many episodes of Paradise PD, an outrageously hilarious animated show. [quoted image]

I want what you're smoking

PS the pinballs are not anal beads FYI

1 week later
#17575 3 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Why would you put the QR reader on the coin door?

If you play in the dark with just this machine on, there's times when the entire playfield goes dark but stupidly, they don't dim the light on the QR reader so you're blinded by it.

#17633 87 days ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Trying out black t-molding, a little more subtle than the red. Going completely DL with alterations on this version. Usually a fan of illuminating the flipper buttons but I think Stern got it right with this one.
[quoted image][quoted image]

This looks great. There's enough going on, doesn't need the red to draw attention to it. I prefer backbox trim to match the side rails in any case so you've nailed it.

1 week later
#17716 79 days ago

There's no list. Things like sling power are subjective; there's no right or wrong answer. Things like VUK may be fine from the factory, or may require adjustment. You just need to take each aspect on its own accord...

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

10,000 (Firm)
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

14,000 (OBO)
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider good-times.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=good-times and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.