IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rob_G.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

329 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Rob_G. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1367 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Everyone is waiting to see what Elvira will become. I don’t mind the journey - I actually enjoyed watching the code progression with Batman and I expect the same with Elvira.

I watched code progression on BM66 also, but from the outside (non owner) and I didn't buy one until it hit 1.0. I'll do the same with Elvira and see how it progresses. I am rethinking Elvira (in a positive manner) after seeing Stranger Things.

Rob

#1450 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

The crypt sign is now ready for purchase. $49 shipped. we are also offering an option for a flasher mod to illuminate the front of the crypt, interactive with the crypt flasher.
https://lermods.com/shop?olsPage=products%2Felviras-house-of-horrors-pinball-crypt-sign

[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

It's very nice, but the font used on the lettering could be a bit more 'gothic' looking. Nobody would use that font on a tombstone

Rob

4 months later
#3022 3 years ago
Quoted from jtgribble:

Ever since updating to 0.95 code everything in the audits menu is staying at zero. It still seems to be counting lifetime games, but that is it. Is this normal, or did I maybe change a setting that caused this?

Same issue in JP, so it must be a core O/S issue.

Rob

#3042 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

JP2 overshadowed Elvira initially but it seems like interest in Elvira has picked up as the code has progressed. I don’t think Elvira will see JP2 numbers but don’t think it will end up being the flop many predicted.

The initial code reveal for Elvira was pretty underwhelming to me. And I admit I was concerned code was going to take longer, but Lyman appears to have really made excellent progress lately as the game is nearing completion. I purchase based upon what a game is, not what I think it will be. I was interested in Elvira before reveal, but then the reveal just didn't have enough there for me to justify purchase at that time. I bought games before based upon what I expected it would be (KISS) and was disappointed when code development was dropped like a hot potato shortly after release. Yeah KISS eventually got its update, but it was way far overdue.

JP2 is cool, but it's also one of the most convoluted games rule wise that I have ever played. Some shots are frustratingly tight too. I still like it, but I am going to balance it with Elvira which has an easier shot map and rules that are a bit less complicated, but still fun and challenging (it seems). And I like campy humor too!

Rob

Rob

#3062 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I was willing to take a risk on Elvira in October because I really wanted an LE, believed that Stern had at least partially addressed the playfield quality issues, and, perhaps most importantly, because Lyman was on the code. I had lived through what he had done with Batman 66 from the beginning, was very pleased with the results and had no reason to doubt the same with Elvira, especially after hearing him speak about the game at Expo.

But after the Batman and Elvira LEs I can’t imagine Stern coming out with a game that would put me in the position of gambling on code again.

I just want to see Stern coming out with new games at this point. I think we're overdue now

Rob

#3064 3 years ago
Quoted from jtgribble:

Contacted Stern and they said it was probably the CPU board and they would switch it out, so I'll find out soon if that's the problem.

More likely a corrupted SD card. I downloaded and installed a fresh sd card image for my JP Premium and audits are now working.

Rob

#3095 3 years ago

I joined the club! LE on it's way to be delivered tuesday. Gappa happy!

Rob

#3105 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Welcome!
Is the game new or from someone that will regret the sale?

It's new, for me who will regret the price tag

Rob

#3136 3 years ago
Quoted from Sebastian88:

I appreciate your support. It’s not my distributors fault and he knows it but I told him that Stern should send me a new game however they have to get it by the end of next week or I want my money back.

Stern isn't even open, so I don't see how this is possible.

Rob

#3186 3 years ago

I just got my LE setup tonight. 5th game in and I hear the klunk of a screw dropping in the cabinet. So I turned the game off and investigated. I found this 3/4 inch machine screw with washer that fell off near the back of the playfield. For those who have more intimate knowledge of the game assembly, maybe you can help me figure out where it came from. I noticed from gameplay that shooting the ball into the house made kind of a klank sound like something was loose. The ramp also never once lifted during gameplay, but does during test. Coincidentely, the screw fell out on the first game after testing the up/down ramp. But, the screw isn't necessarily from the house, it could have fallen back there during transport.

Rob

20200519_222724 (resized).jpg20200519_222724 (resized).jpg

#3189 3 years ago

I found where the loose screw goes, easy fix for this one.
20200520_002515 (resized).jpg20200520_002515 (resized).jpg

#3199 3 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Thanks! I’m pretty handy at this point with adjustments. So I’m ok with drilling new pilot holes and adjusting the VUK. I just want to be sure it’s worth the trouble to have the VUK strike the “open the trunk” lock stand ups. I would prefer that! Is this an adjustment most owners are making?

The ball is supposed to hit the targets.

Looking at how the VUK lines up with the eject hole, it's obvious the bracket was mounted about 1/4 inch too far forward (towards the player) at the factory. They probably fixed this by now (mine is an LE).

If anyone wants to AVOID drilling new holes, at least to begin with, do what i did. It's only short term to check if the new position improves the VUK kickout or not.

I used the existing top hole for a screw with a washer to hold the bracket in place. I'll have to check for a short screw to replace the other one. Remember, this was just for initial testing. The result was greatly improved kickout power, so the power setting may need to be reduced now. I'll do more testing before I commit to the new position, but it is much better.

Rob
20200522_012335 (resized).jpg20200522_012335 (resized).jpg20200522_012337 (resized).jpg20200522_012337 (resized).jpg

#3200 3 years ago

Update: Final position mount as shown. I put an allen key in the top hole to keep the bracket from moving back up while putting a screw in the bottom. For lack of having a shorter screw, I put a nut on the bottom machine screw (left side). It kicks like an absolute rocket now, way better than even last night testing. Make sure all screws are tight, even the FAR left wood screws on the other bracket piece. Mine were loose.

Rob

20200522_130608 (resized).jpg20200522_130608 (resized).jpg20200522_130614 (resized).jpg20200522_130614 (resized).jpg
#3201 3 years ago

Video of crypt kicker in action, for reference. Power has not been reduce yet, but needs to be.

#3225 3 years ago

I don't like the Gargoyles hitting the glass, the lower left one is the worst for that.

2.5 inch piece of heat shrink tube with a zip tie (in this case 2) at the top. Shrunk tubing works best I think since it's more 'stiff'. Ha, intentional pun on Scared Stiff.

Rob

20200523_002838 (resized).jpg20200523_002838 (resized).jpg
#3248 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I was wondering why hitting the glass bugs some people. It was designed to do that just like Scared Stiff. Removing it just seems wrong to me. It really helps complete the package.

Because it makes an annoying KLUNK sound which I don't like. Personal preference of course.

Rob

#3249 3 years ago

Yes, it is designed to smak the glass. Stern fans haven't seen this before so i think a lot of the times people think it is wrong. It is one of things Dennis Nordman wanted in the game. It is kinda a Dennis thing.

Oh I knew it was a 'Dennis thing', like the ball hitting the glass on WhiteWater. That I like, this on Elvira I did not like.

Rob

#3290 3 years ago

Has anyone had a leaper bracket fail yet? One on my game failed last night where most of the crimped end was missing. I didn't have anything suitable to replace the hinge pin so I re-used the existing pin and hammered what was left of the bad end flat. It should hold until I can get a replacement.

I also recommend a lock washer on the top screw that secures the bracket in place.

Rob

20200527_114219 (resized).jpg20200527_114219 (resized).jpg20200528_005033 (resized).jpg20200528_005033 (resized).jpg

#3305 3 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

yes. that same one failed on my game the first time I played it, but I was able to get the pin back in and it has since held. I think there was someone else in this thread who also reported they had the same one fail.

Are these identical to the leaper brackets used in Scared Stiff? I'm wondering if the top screw coming loose has a detrimental effect of allowing the bracket to twist which causes more stress on the hinge pin.

Rob

#3320 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I haven't looked at moving the crypt yet but being that I'm having the issue with the stuck balls on the right side of that pop I might try wallowing out the holes in the pop assembly and see if I can kill two birds with one stone.

Stuck balls could mean the ball is sitting on a mylar edge. Strangely enough, I had that happen on the right outlane where mylar is not needed, but it's there anyhow.

I also had a ball get stuck in the crypt on my last game. The head of the skull is rubbing against the top of the crypt door so I'm not sure if I need to intervene with that or not. I'm curious if there's any assembly anomalies with this thing.

20200523_164859 (1) (resized).jpg20200523_164859 (1) (resized).jpg
#3323 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

The drive me crazy mode is currently the one weak part of the game imo. Odd choice for a shooter rod.
Maybe I just don’t like that clown. Lol

Drive Me Crazy and UnHappy Hour seem kind of the same to me, just different shots of course. Not really relevant to the rest of the game in terms of gaining other benefits that I am aware of. It appears you can keep them going indefinitely if you keep making the shots, so they are probably good to stack with a multiball. I kind of like the car crashes in Drive Me Crazy

Rob

#3325 3 years ago

I requested a replacement gargoyle popper bracket and got a response from Stern they will send one out. I also asked about the side of the house and was told both versions of the side of the house are considered acceptable by their engineering department so they won't send me that. If mine breaks as others have, I'll pursue it again.

Rob

#3344 3 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Sorry idk why it posted them sideways

Pinside now has a feature to rotate pictures before saving your message. Very handy!

Rob

#3437 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:Call around to a few distributors.
If I bought one, it’s Elvira on my shooter rod!
[quoted image]

Now if the shooter rod hair was actual hair from Elvira's wig, that would be something

Rob

#3438 3 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Many were having this issue, myself included. Its a super easy fix fortunately!
Around 3:10 of this video he very well explains the fix. I believe ive seen him in this thread, he has some super helpful videos for noobs (like myself) and veterans alike.

I have not bothered adjusting the rail on the left orbit yet because balls that have a good speed will always go to the flipper on my game. When I first played Elvira the geometry felt really weird because while the orbits look the same, they feed the flippers differently. Game pitch and level was also affecting the cellar kickout which at one point was going SDTM a lot. I increased pitch from 6.9 to 7 and leveled the game (again) so it doesn't do that any more.

I need to check the level on the game once more(!) since the ball seems to favor the right flipper, even though it doesn't feel out of level.

Rob

#3457 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I want my ray gun to doooooooo something! Next code update has got to be any day now. This game is already so amazing - gets daily play by me and my spouse.

It's only for those whose first name is Ray...

Rob

#3534 3 years ago
Quoted from lasermel:

This game IS amazing and the update today is simply awesome. LOVE this game and just keep playing it! A small detail and I hate to say it, but I wish the score color could be changed back to white (in a menu or something), I find purple a bit hard to read when quickly looking up. My eyes are old!

Just so you know, I did let Lyman know that purple blended a bit too much into the background. I'm not sure if I like it the way it is now. Maybe if the font outline was white instead of black? Or give us LE owners an option to change it to red (or white) if we don't like purple. I don't think there is a setting now for that and I did not look and did not see anything mentioned in the code readme file.

Rob

#3609 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:My understanding is it is only the single flashing target. If successful it destroys the deadhead.

There's no grace period on hitting a flashing target, so it's actually more challenging that it looks. I wonder what is supposed to happen after beating 3 deadheads? Or even beating them all?

Rob

#3632 3 years ago
Quoted from bloodydrake:

So with latest update they've changed the color of the font to Purple and Red ,Couple had mentioned its harder to see. I wonder if its possible for them to change the border color of the font in the score box to match the two tone of the logo and leader boards.
For Premium instead of Black Border Red Text it would be Green and Red. and for LE instead of Black and Purple it would be green and purple.
I think it might make the scores more visible for the purple on purple ..
[quoted image]

I don't like green and red. Green and purple may drive me over the edge... lol

Rob

#3633 3 years ago
Quoted from drfrightner:

As for the things I don't like I still don't like it... I think and still do think there shouldn't be rubber ducks in a graveyard. Maybe its just me.

It's Elviva and she has a pool

Rob

#3651 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

anyone else having trouble with the garage lock uppost? shortly after updating the code to .96 balls cant roll out quick enough and the post flies back up. Sometimes pins a ball against the plastic above it (actually broke the plastic on mine). I took the left ramp off and checked the optos. checked the up post assembly didnt see anything wrong. Tried tweaking the ball guides that feed into the post still does it. Its weird i had no problems till now with that area of the game. The post keeps firing until it sets an operator error. Any ideas?

No idea at the moment, but I have not seen this. What pitch do you have the game set at? I have mine at 7 degrees.

Rob

#3653 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

right at 7 degrees.

I wonder if the balls are magnetized somehow? Are they the stock balls or did you replace them?

Rob

#3660 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

The magnets in EHOH must really be wreaking havoc on those balls.

Yeah, we obviously know there's no magnet cores in the game.

Rob

#3661 3 years ago

Crap, node board 8 glitched out on me tonight. The flippers stopped working momentarily, but came back. The lower GI stayed off. It happened right as the trunk started kicking out balls so I'll check for any obvious short first. I'll also check connections too. The lights came back on with a power cycle, but I can't play more until tomorrow (it's late).

The last node board I ever had a problem with was probably 4 years ago with a GoT Pro.

Rob

20200615_012838 (resized).jpg20200615_012838 (resized).jpg

#3666 3 years ago
Quoted from Dokkaebi:

Also found this while I was fixing the lock and the orbit. The wires going to the trunk led were routed wrong and cut by the trunk kickout. I rerouted and soldered back together. Game is awesome, but I don't think I have had to do this much work on a new game ever.

I moved the LED lamp wire away from the trunk door lid actuator. I'm not sure there was a problem, but I think it's routed better now that it was before. I'm not sure how that trunk comes apart and I didn't want to bother with it tonight. Moving the wire just needed disconnecting the 2 pin Z coupler, moving the wire around the blue switch wire and re-connecting.

This could be an area where a short can happen if something comes loose. The lamps and switches are really close together and the heat shrink is marginal at best.

Rob
20200615_181733 (resized).jpg20200615_181733 (resized).jpg20200616_004253 (resized).jpg20200616_004253 (resized).jpg

#3724 3 years ago

Does anyone have an idea what was causing the rear corner of the left side house plastic to break? It's been reported that Stern later revised the plastic with a piece cutout, but tech support would not send me the new one when I asked about it (while I made a claim for a broken leaper bracket). I'm seeing an issue where the balls are sometimes bouncing into the skill shot lane rather than the left orbit after being diverted from a shot to the house. This makes me wonder if balls are hitting the corner of the house when being diverted to the left?

Does your diverter make a 'clank' sound when a ball hits it? Mine has always been a bit loose, but it's not the diverter blade - those screws are tight.

I also posted earlier about node 8 having an issue. Just for the record, it's an overcurrent issue so I'm trying to track that down. It's very intermittent right now. I did find one light socket which might have had some contact with one of the trunk targets. No idea if that's the culprit unless it never happens again. Only time will tell.

Rob

#3799 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Ok, not like we will outthink what the great Lyman will do - but just for fun - what isn’t in the code that should be in by 1.0?

Hmm

The Knife rule
Market target rule
Crypt Cleaner mini mode
Gappa Sleepy
Gappa Happy
Gappa Gassy
Gappa a Pappa
Gappa Indifferent
Gappa Fix Your Vuk!

Ok well the first three are real. The rest are nonsense of course

Rob

#3800 3 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

This is what I keep telling people!

Since Elvira 3 shoots so well, I wish there was some reward for making combo shots.

Rob

#3830 3 years ago
Quoted from DugFreez:

Well I did go back and see a lot of different "Sems" screws listed. You narrow down the fatness and length of what you found and do a more detailed look over of the manual, but as you and I said....having 3 of the same size running loose and not noticing it on the games.....it seems more like someone may have dropped them in there.

I tend to think a loose screw found in the cabinet came from the game. The reason is that the playfields are not built in cabinets to begin with, but placed in after they are completed. I've bought about a dozen NIB Stern since 2013 and none ever had extra screws in the cabinet that didn't belong anywhere. It could happen, but I still think they came from somewhere on the playfield.

Rob

#3858 3 years ago
Quoted from billsfanmd:

My diverter stopped working. One of the bottom screws has fallen out twice. Going to use loctite. Thought there were only 2 screws holding it in place though

I have to check the diverter on my game too. It's not consistently diverting balls and seems to be getting worse.

Does yours clank when the ball hits it?

Rob

#3877 3 years ago
Quoted from AncasterStan:

Sigh... I think I'm cursed! A few months back Node board 10 for the turntable on my Batman66 crapped out. Finally received a replacement board from Stern as the game was just under a year old. Today it seems my Elvira needs a new CPU. When I turned the game on nothing happened. It is getting power but nothing fires up. I compared the flashing LED indicators behind the translites on my Batman and Elvira and whereas the status LED on Batman keeps blinking, the same light on Elvira initially blinked twice and then nothing. I've had Elvira less than two months. Anyone else experience these issues? Frustration setting in.... grrrrrr....

Chances are it is the SD card. You can download the whole SD card image from Stern website and reload it on the current card, or replace it with a new one. There's instructions on the Stern site for how to do that.

https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

If you don't have an SD card reader, they are very inexpensive. You could even try just reseating the SD card and see if that helps.

Rob

1 week later
#4016 3 years ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

Anyone get a hold of Stern service recently? The 1800kickers number just plays a message that says they are still shut down. It tells you to email the parts.service address to get a hold of someone but it has been a week with no reply.

I requested warranty parts over 6 weeks ago (I think). They did reply to email and agreed to send a leaper bracket, but not a house plastic. I still have not seen anything in the mail. At least I was able to fix my broken leaper with a hammer....

Rob

#4017 3 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Think of it as a smart missile in other Stern games.

I find them most useful if a haunt is nearly timed out and I want to keep continuing it. If you avoid the 'continue' shots, you can really drag out the haunt story which is a lot of fun (and points!).

Ray Gun could use a lighting effect..

Rob

#4037 3 years ago

F$#( I hate removing that house. I came to find the house plastic is now broken so I asked Stern again for the part. Last time I was told the design was up to spec and they wouldn't send me one as a preventative measure. I've also been waiting 2 months for a new leaper bracket so I'm not even sure it was mailed out. Who knows in this crazy time?

The cellar vuk is loose and is a total PITA to get to the mounting screws. That's why I'm taking the house off again and it looks like the ramp entrance needs to be taken off too. It likes to shoot balls SDTM.

Rob

#4040 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Wow, seems like a lot of parts loosened up on your machine. How long have you had it and about how many plays, unless you have plays in the thousands I would think these shouldn't loosen up so quickly unless they were never properly tighten during assembly.

Who knows. I usually put lock washers on machine screws so they don't come loose again.

The 4 screws holding the house in place are one of the biggest PITA designs of any recent pinball game.

Here's a video of the loose bracket. Way too much disassembly needed to get to the screws to fix this.

Rob

#4042 3 years ago

Get a long magnetic 1/4" nut driver. It is a must have.

In a snap, I do this with a piece of tape.
20200521_213551 (resized).jpg20200521_213551 (resized).jpg

#4044 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I feel you. I have several inserts that won’t light and Stern customer service told me it’s a “wiring connection”. Yeah, it’s not. No way to fix it AFAIK. Came like that out of the box

I had Node 8 resetting because of an overcurrent condition. I think I have it fixed now where one of the lamp power leads behind the trunk targets was stuck against a switch bracket.

The inserts that won't light, are these on a large light board or are they single light boards? If it's single light boards, is there power at the positive side?

Rob

#4048 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Single board, most of the inserts do work, it’s just a couple that won’t light. Game is temporarily packed up, I hope to get at it on Friday

Check the wiring at the resistor terminals and LED boards. You probably have a broken (common) power wire at one.

Rob

#4115 3 years ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

Spike 2 LE games that don't have 5.25s are :
1: Batman 66 LE. (SLE has 5.25)
2: Aerosmith LE
3: Star Wars LE
4: GOTG LE
5: Both Beatles LE's
B66SLE Jenson 5.25
IMDN, DP-> JBL's 5.25s
Munsters, BK:SOR, JP, EHOH, NST, TMNT Kenwood KFC-S1366 5.25s
the Kenwood's sound the best IMO.

All I know is that the stock speakers in EHOH LE sound really good. I noticed it immediately when I first played the game.

Rob

#4117 3 years ago

Can someone please share a picture of the house ramp motor bracket, specifically how the spring is connected to the cam shaft. The manual is inconclusive about position and I want to make sure I have it in the right spot.

Rob

#4120 3 years ago
Quoted from jtgribble:

Does this help? If you need a different angle or area just let me know.
[quoted image]

Thank you for the picture. According to the manual, the plastic bushing on yours is facing the wrong way. Did you ever have yours apart? Of course it is possible that the manual is wrong too, but I'm pretty sure the bushing position in the manual is correct.

Rob
pic (resized).jpgpic (resized).jpg

#4123 3 years ago

Ok, here is how I put mine together. I went by with what the manual showed.

Thank you for the images.

Rob

20200721_095414 (resized).jpg20200721_095414 (resized).jpg
#4142 3 years ago

I need one more opinion about the rear house diverter before I put the house back on the playfield. Is your house diverter this loose and clanky?

Rob

#4146 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I haven't ever tried playing mine like a guitar before.
Is the ball causing it to make that noise as well?

Yes, it makes a loud noticeable clank. But, I'm assuming it's normal.

Rob

#4184 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I would. I was going to get a PRemium at first too, but an LE was all that was available. It is a MUCH nicer looking machine, despite my ranting lately. I have not found any more issues with Elvira than any other NIB game I've ever bought (I think this is my 5th or 6th?)

The same happened to me. I was going to buy a premium, but they were sold out and only a single LE was available. It is a very nice looking game!

Rob

#4185 3 years ago

Jack was literally back door champion on the dead flip stream tonight. Would it be too crude to have a back door champion in the game?

Rob

#4211 3 years ago

Has anyone else noticed that when playing the mode "Teenagers from Outer Space" the right orbit shot when shooting through the spinner up to the gate beside the house it doesn't register the shot complete.

The orbit stays lit and you keep shooting the Beast Booster spinner to advance scenes if you want, or end the haunt by shooting the house. More scenes earns more points and a higher Trailer Trash score.

Rob

#4302 3 years ago
Quoted from Charger68:

Anyone else having problem with crypt door not opening after deadhead is floating on screen. I hit the skull and register bonus points but once the skull rotates to the door no matter how many times i hit the door it will not open. Im running 98 code

It sounds like a switch issue on the mechanism. I would suggest testing them in the game diagnostics.

Rob

#4333 3 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Still have not seen my turret spin!? Anyone else experiencing the buzz kill effect for this mysterious feature? Is it fact that only the house party mode will get her spinning? If so, hopefully with the next update Lyman will have it be incorporated into more play.

It's a weird thing and only seems to have a rule in house party multiball. I'm too busy watching the balls to pay attention to the turret or where it is at. I would like it to do something more in the game outside of the multiball.

Rob

#4334 3 years ago

For me the crypt and the gargoyles are
not the best part of the game. So having the topper centered around those seems a little disappointing. The house and the movie clips are where it’s at. Now if there is a lot of motion and light in that topper that reacts to all modes I could see it still being a plus. I actually feel that we dont get enough of the movie footage so some sort of video topper would be cool too.

If you want to see more movie footage, avoid shooting the advance stage shots during the haunts. These shots are lit differently, sometimes white or look different from all the other shots (depends on the haunt). Each haunt has several stages and within each stage are multiple scenes which you can play through by shooting the common shots. Some haunts can be really long and there is a lot of content to see. I like how Lyman has programmed these.

Rob

1 week later
#4456 3 years ago
Quoted from Asael:

So perhaps you can help me here, I sold my Star Wars premium cause I got frustrated with it's gameplay and the unfair drains. I am just a mediocre player. Now I want to buy a new game and I am on the fence between Elvira or Jurassic Park premium. I love the Elvira/old Horror Movie themes, always wished for a Rocky Horror Picture Show pinball game, but the layout looks so simple on Elvira. JP looks way more interesting, but I hate narrow shots, like the Death Star on Star Wars or the Extra Ball in Fish Tales when they are to important. I like games with cool moments and show effects. Elvira looks like it has this in tons.
But do you think that the Elvira game have enough staying power and fit in a line up with BKPrem, Iron Maiden LE, AC/DC, The Hobbit and the Shadow? Or is it to similar in game play with one of these? I am worried that the cellar shot is to similar to the Iron Maiden under the Middle Ramp shot?

JP frustrates the heck out of me because the shots are so tight. It's a cool game I want to like so much, but it turns me off on its difficulty. Elvira, on the other hand shoots smooth as butter! In my opinion, Elvira absolutely has staying power.

Rob

#4552 3 years ago
Quoted from TheRudyB:

Eegah is right there in front left center on the backglass so if not yet, I hope he will be.
After all, we're talking about a pre-Jaws Richard Kiel here.

Officially TCFS is the last haunt I think, but with Lyman at the helm you just never know.

Rov

#4556 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

That’s a little annoying; unless I missed something, there are at least 3 more movies listed and placed right on the backglass: Eegah!, Don’t go down to the basement, and Wasp Woman

I was only going by what the readme file says:

- Implemented final haunt (formerly Attic Party, now: THEY CAME FROM
SPACE).

What do you mean when you say they are listed?

Rob

#4563 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe I'm being optimistic but I read "final haunt" as referring to the last haunt after you light all the house windows.
It would be great if Lyman added more movies as secret windows or as random alternates to the existing 6 main haunts. But even if no more are added I'm still very happy with what's there now. He did such a great job integrating the clips and music on the current haunts. The original music from the different films really adds to the variety of the haunts.

A few more haunts doesn't hurt But, I'm waiting to see what the market target does and I'm not sure if the dagger has been implemented yet. It's nice to see some font size cleanup in the last update.

Rob

#4576 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

My deadhead mech went bananas after the code update. Coincidence, or has anyone else had issues?
The mech will continuously cycle through the closed door, skull and opening. In attract mode, it isn’t fully closed.

I'd say it is a coincidence. Did you try the diagnostic tests?

Rob

#4606 3 years ago
Quoted from stoneocelot:

So I used a slope indicator on my play field and front to back I was at about 10.5 . So I raised the front legs pretty much as far as I could and the back legs were as low as they could. Was sitting around 7.5, it is on carpet and maybe the room is off alittle, the bubble level about 1/3 of the bubble was in the center and the rest was on the top third of the level. So I imagine it was right on.
It played really slow, maybe it was due to me playing at such a high slope. I dropped the front legs back down so it is sitting about 8.5 feels like it plays alot better. Is there something I'm missing. Should I try to get it about 7 and just play it slow to get used to? Thanks

Your pitch indicator is out of whack. Start with front legs fully screwed in and rear legs screwed out about 1 - 1.5 inches. And get yourself a better inclinometer, preferably a digital one since they are not expensive.

Rob

#4607 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

Ok.. troubleshooting an issue with my NIB premium.. getting the error 'cellar lockup device malfunction error' and the cellar vuk fires continuously. I've pulled the house off, checked the opto by hand.. The solder point on the opto looked poor, so I pulled the opto out, and resoldered the wires. Tested the solder with a meter.. good connections. Seems like vibration makes the issue occur (see: multiball starts, multiple cellar vists, etc)..
Any other thoughts? Possible that the opto itself is bad?
It will actually have the issue in attract mode as well.. I'm assuming it happens after the cellar ramp cycles during attract

The opto can be tested in the game diagnostics. You may also have a tech alert stating the opto switch is bad. Sometimes the leg breaks on an opto between the pcb and led dome. If it's intermittent, maybe just replace both transmitter and receiver to be done with it. Stern will probably send you new ones under warranty.

Rob

#4622 3 years ago
Quoted from TTARider:

Contacted support and they are sending the opto pair under warranty.. Meanwhile.. While in the switch test the machine will sit 'fine' and then suddenly the cellar backdoor opto will register and stay stuck on for a short while.. eventually it'll go off and thing will go back to normal.. then it happens again a few moments later....
Or like right now, it's been sitting for 20 minutes in switch test with no issues.. Considering there is no vibration on the machine during this time, I'm guessing the only possibility would be the opto? is it possible there is a loose connection from the opto to the node board?

Check the wiring too. The optos have IDC connectors in the wiring under the playfield. You can switch opto power connectors because those all do the same thing which is power an opto transmitter. Don't mix up transmitter and receiver connectors though! They should all have yellow tags on the wiring. Check the IDC connector for a loose wire crimp. Wiggle the wires a bit while in switch test mode. Also reseat the 2 pin connectors.

Rob

#4660 3 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

for some reason, I thought the ones they sold were the authentic stern shakers

Maybe it's the PBL ones that don't have the capacitor kit?

Rob

#4691 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

I have looked in the manual more times than I can count and am unable to find the diagram for the trunk assembly. Is that in the manual? Trying to figure out why my trunk lid is ripping up the trunk decal.
[quoted image]

I checked the manual on Stern's website and you are correct, there is no exploded diagram for the trunk. I would suggest sending an email to Stern tech support and ask them about this. Also, you could contact your vendor who may be able to just get you a replacement trunk assembly since your lid is binding against the side of the trunk.

Rob

1 week later
#4887 3 years ago

Just a guess, but I would hope it has something to do with the floating deadheads and mean that they somehow float in the air from the topper instead of on the LCD screen. Taking the deadheads off the LCD and putting them in a topper would be great!

But, that's just a wild guess.....

Rob

1 week later
#5013 3 years ago

No topper for me. It would probably be over $1500 after tax, shipping exchange rate, etc. I don't have any toppers for my games... I'm topless

Rob

1 week later
#5167 3 years ago

The left ramp entrance opto has gone flakey on my game, which made me also find this.

It seems like the tabs are not welded, or the welds broke.... Is anyone else's game like this?

Rob

#5171 3 years ago

I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but the bracket that holds the ramp optos in place doesn't keep the optos aligned very well. Rather than enlarging holes in the ramp, I decided to align the optos and then secure them better with a dab of silicone. The stuff I used goes on white, but dries clear. This should hopefully keep them from shifting out of position due to vibration.

Yes, that's is how the optos both align with the ramp holes. Not quite straight.....

Rob

20200927_222520 (resized).jpg20200927_222520 (resized).jpg

#5175 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Did you do that on the right ramp too?
What silicone did you use?

I just used mondo ultimate (exterior). I don't know what the differences between different types are. This is all I had in my tool chest. A little dab will do ya!

I have not had any issue with the right ramp, but if I do I will tackle it then. I didn't realize it was the same bracket?

Rob

1 week later
#5211 3 years ago

I finished fixing the left ramp opto on my game and came across a small screw in the cabinet (ride side, middle). I'm thinking it's maybe from the Crypt assembly, but I can't tell for sure. There's quite a few places that a 1/4 screw can come from, but this one isn't married to a lock washer.

Nope, not from the crypt as far as I can see. I'll just leave it for now... It almost looks like the screw is broken off from somewhere.

Rob
20201004_142541 (resized).jpg20201004_142541 (resized).jpg

#5227 3 years ago
Quoted from Syco54645:

my left ramp opto is out. really makes the game unfun.

I put Elvira back together and after a few games the left ramp opto started being erratic again, worse than ever. I scored several billion points just from UnHappy hour. At least the ramp is fairly easy to remove.

Rob

20201005_204129 (resized).jpg20201005_204129 (resized).jpg
#5228 3 years ago

Even if I flex the ramp a bit, the optos still go out of alignment too easily.

Rob

#5230 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I had right ramp phantom triggering and enlarging the opto holes in the ramp fixed it.

That fix is my last resort. I'm going to check and make sure the metal bracket isn't causing other misalignment issues.
Rob

#5250 3 years ago

I got my left ramp fixed.. I just drilled the holes slightly bigger (almost, but not quite 1/4 inch). That sounds big, but it really isn't. It's working perfect now.

Man, I love this fricken' game! Dennis designed a great shooting layout, Greg did awesome art, Jerry did wonderful audio and Lyman is awesome on code!

Rob

#5263 3 years ago
Quoted from Lrrr:

The grave flips up and lobs a mini corn dog into my mouth. I hope

Why not a full size corn dog?

Rob

#5359 3 years ago

On my game, the skull 'extender' has started to bind which causes the crypt door to not fully open. I'm not sure I want to pull the entire mech out at this point, but am weighing my options. Did anyone put a dab of grease on this small part? There's no cushion on the skull as it gets hit so that slider mech gets hammered from every ball impact.

Rob

20201012_133739 (resized).jpg20201012_133739 (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpgUntitled (resized).jpg

#5361 3 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

wait, the skull's supposed to extend? mine's always stayed static....

The skull extends slightly forward as the crypt opens so (I assume) the skull doesn't hit the plastic of the crypt entrance. The skull assembly has a long screw and spring which are seen in the diagram.

Rob

#5362 3 years ago

The cause of the problem. It's not an especially 'fun' mech to take apart. The link arm is one of the bigger PITA to deal with on this. Heaven forbid you strip the screw or camshaft set screw or you could be really in a pickle.

I think I will pull out the black plastic piece, file it smooth and put a dab of grease on it.

Rob

20201012_181538 (resized).jpg20201012_181538 (resized).jpg
#5364 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Our LE did the same thing. We put a little grease where your photo is and also the same spot as your diagram. You will also notice as the mech moves up and down, there is a slot the mech needs to slot into when the skull is all the way down. Your original photo looks like the mech is not slotting into the slot. You may have to bend the mech a little. You will see what I mean when you put it back together.
Good Luck.

Thanks

It's mostly together now and I think it should be good.

Rob

#5380 3 years ago

Just an FYI, the crypt scoop is slotted to match the motor bracket. I noticed on my game that the bracket and slot don't line up and I will need to shift the motor bracket position to make it align better. No, I'm not going to bend the motor bracket for this.
20201013_225505 (resized).jpg20201013_225505 (resized).jpg20201013_232830 (resized).jpg20201013_232830 (resized).jpg

#5395 3 years ago
Quoted from Rivv:

Maybe it's less popular than other games because people can't handle all that Torgo? Getting the luggage part of the Manos mode amuses me every game. It's hilarious to think Manos: The Hands of Fate, Santa Claus Conquers the Martians, Brain..., etc. have been forever immortalized in a pinball machine before Jaws, I love it! I think the only way I'd like this game more would be if it was MST3K, but I wouldn't want it not to be Elvira either. I still can't believe this game exists.

Man, I love Torgo! How he stumbles along (maybe in pain, or he's just drunk) getting that heavy suitcase for those lazy ass vacationers who can't keep track of their daughter Debbie (such a downer!).

Rob

#5396 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

The risk of being an early LE buyer were big but the reward of such an immersive, well integrated game was worth it even if it took a year to get here. Those that buy a new Elvira in 2021 will get an incredible game with the playfield issues corrected and complete code right out of the box with none of the risk.

I lucked into finding an LE NIB this spring when premiums were sold out here in Canada. I don't even know if any more have been available since then. I wasn't sure about the b-movie stuff and if I would like it, but the way Lyman has put together the modes, it's just a fantastic, campy experience!

"Do I look like a maniac who goes around murdering women"?

"Spoiler alert creepy doctor, yes you do!"

Rob

#5434 3 years ago

I think I have it pretty much fixed now.

Rob

#5502 3 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I think I have it pretty much fixed now.

Rob

Nope, it's not fixed. I found another issue with the mechanism that can cause the slider to stick. The front part of the slot cutout is raised just slightly and the sliding bracket catches on this.

Rob

20201016_011710 (resized).jpg20201016_011710 (resized).jpg
#5507 3 years ago

Ready for take 2 of putting this back together. I slightly rounded the leading edge of the plastic slider bracket (under the skull jaw) so it should not catch on that metal lip - I hope!

PS: Someone should custom paint these skulls!

Frick, time for bed, I gotta work in the morning!

Rob
20201016_025242 (resized).jpg20201016_025242 (resized).jpg

#5556 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

Our LE did the same thing. We put a little grease where your photo is and also the same spot as your diagram. You will also notice as the mech moves up and down, there is a slot the mech needs to slot into when the skull is all the way down. Your original photo looks like the mech is not slotting into the slot. You may have to bend the mech a little. You will see what I mean when you put it back together.
Good Luck.

I have the scoop positioning working, but there's yet another problem with it now. When a ball hits the skull with a good shot, the skull and entire scoop assembly bounces up a bit. It never did that before. I've put several hours into sorting this mech out already and have disassembled/reassembled it several times. For such a sloppy hinged scoop, the tolerances for everything else are pretty darn tight with very little room for discrepancy.

Rob

#5610 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

anyone else noticing the deadhead crypt not always finding the right position?
Mine always seems to go the wrong way first and then its okay. With the new update it loses position a lot more. Just curious if this is normal and if not what to try to fix it.

Go into the game specific diagnostics for the crypt and make sure all 3 opto switches are working. The motor position may need to be adjusted if the scoop isn't moving far enough up or down so the optos can all open and close depending on position.

Rob

#5612 3 years ago
Quoted from Rock_ninja:

Looking for some help....I got a topper and just installed it tonight. All the lights seem to be working but the opening part doesn't seem to do anything. We played a few test games and got multiball but it didn't open like I thought it would. After the game I went into the topper in game features (while holding down the 48v button), I press the select button to cycle between open and closed but nothing happens. The first few times it made a very faint knocking sound but now nothing. Any ideas?
Thanks!

You don't have to hold it in, you can pull it out too.

Rob

#5637 3 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Hmmm. They all work in test though not as well as I would like. I'm guessing an ever so slight adjustment may fix. Need to figure out how to do a slight tweak.

Motor position can be altered. Make sure the cutout on the diverter lines up with the motor bracket.

Rob

#5654 3 years ago

I think I want a Gappa Angry t-shirt.

Rob

#5697 3 years ago
Quoted from Enchantress:

Has anyone changed out these frosted bulbs, even with Pin Stadiums still seems a little dark compared to some of my other pins!? If so, how do they look and did you stick with uni-white or.....

Pinstadiums would ruin the lighting effects in EHOH in my opinion.

Rob

2 weeks later
#5824 3 years ago

I finally have the crypt put back in my Elvira. I wasted MANY hours on this mech and I'm still not convinced it isn't going to cause me problems again soon. Stern sent me a replacement assembly, but I could only use the plastic slider because what they sent me was missing decals and other parts. The new slider immediately jammed against the opto support bracket which has an edge to push the skull forward as the carriage moves down. I had to put a 1.5 mm shim behind the skull to keep the slider forward a bit.

It works, but already showed signs of sticking a bit. I even put a tiny amount of white lithium grease on the slider plastic. The skull also bounces up a bit from some hard hits and probably shouldn't, but there is absolutely no way to fix that. I have had this thing torn apart, put together, mounted, tested, removed, torn apart again many times. I'm just going to leave it for now and play the game.

Question: Does anyone else's crypt skull bounce up a tiny bit when hit hard sometimes?

Rob

20201105_170244 (resized).jpg20201105_170244 (resized).jpg
#5885 3 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Not sure if someone has mentioned this before in this thread? > But with the new code I am now getting the backdoor shot award more often, even if the ball goes around or near the house.
Anyone else have this issue with the 'backdoor' shot awarding more often that it should?

I've seen it too on my game. Back door awards were only supposed to happen from a left orbit shot because they were happening too often. This was implemented a few updates ago. But, I've now seen back door awards just from a regular cellar shot during a mode.

Rob

#5888 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

For anyone looking to join the club...there’s finally someone crazy enough to sell!
[quoted image]

There's been a lot of demand for Elvira lately.

Rob

#5896 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Yes. In the test the door moves in full motion but during game play it gets confused on where it’s at

Moves in full motion, but are all 3 switches being activated both open and closed? If it's getting confused where it's at, then I suspect the top or bottom switch states are not changing during operation. If so, you will have to adjust the position of the motor that drives the scoop up/down. Just loosen one of the 1/4 nuts and move it slightly. Test with the playfield down, not upright. Also make sure the slot in the scoop lines up with the motor bracket when in the lowest position.

Rob

#5935 3 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I have a possible code bug here, I'm on the latest.
Was in grappa angry round 1 and got a sneaky lock. It awarded me round 1 and moved to round 2 which I think was both ramps lit. It did not feed another ball so I waited for the ball search which eventually shot the ball out of the trunk lock and drained before making any more progress. Yay me. After that I did not get pool party, only end of ball.

I had a similar experience happen this weekend during Gappa Angry.

Rob

#5942 3 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

Thanks for your help. I was able to figure it out with your help. The next question I have is when my door is closed, there's a small gap and I've noticed this on a few machines (is this normal)? If not how does this adjust? At least everything is working great now
[quoted image]

The gap is normal and cannot be adjusted.

Rob

#5946 3 years ago

I turned the flipper power down on my Elvira to 225. Unless you have a high pitch level, this power setting feels pretty good.

Rob

#5955 3 years ago

Has anyone achieved the super hand of fate (manos wheel?)? I have a lot of games where I don't even collect one piece of the regular wheel and I think the best I have done is 4 pieces. Unless you're draining left during multiball, it seems like this is something that is extremely difficult to get.

Thoughts?

The Tilt rulesest is quite out of date.

Rob

#5959 3 years ago
Quoted from Mtg381:

The VUK ball save helps too...if your VUK has a tendency to lob balls down the outlane!

That's vukked up!

Rob

#5964 3 years ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

During multiball, focus on the spinner shot to the pops. That will rack up the Freak Fryer meter pretty quickly.

You can also let balls keep draining during multiball while the ball save is still active. New balls will launch into the pops. That's kind of cheesy though.

Rob

Added over 3 years ago:

edit: if the balls launched all the way around to the left orbit during multiball, that would be a good fix.

#5966 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

I do ok when I get there, just can't seem to lately.

I love playing out the modes as far as I can. But, by doing so I don't always make it too deep into the game. Up to Gappa yes, but I have not completed the house yet. I will focus on trying that soon.

Rob

#5980 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Nice line up, very similar to mine. I have DPLE, EHOH, R&M and IM. I may sell IM and replace it with Avengers.

So is Elvira everything you thought it would be? I assume you got it by now.

Rob

#6023 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Elviras actin up tonight. I turned and have speaker lights but nothing else. Swapped fuse with bksor, not it. VAand UNB lights aren't on, r5 not blinking,status light not on, no back glass lights on. Removed sd card, not that. Any ideas?

With the game off, reseat the SD card on the main board. If that doesn't work, take the SD card out and reload it with a fresh SD card image downloaded from the Stern website.

The same happened to my game a few weeks ago.

https://sternpinball.com/support/sd-cards/

Rob

#6024 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

What's this all about?[quoted image]

I'm too lazy to ever set the clocks on my pinball games. I have been meaning too, but will do it now. Just vukking do it I tell myself!

Rob

#6026 3 years ago

I played for about an hour and got Satanic rights twice - no Santa....

Does anyone think Wild Women super jackpots should earn more? I was only getting 800,000 per super jackpot and lighting those is certainly a challenge. Unless there's something which affects the scoring (besides playfield X) which I can't think of right now.

Rob

#6053 3 years ago

I'm coming again for you tonight Santa!

Rob

#6055 3 years ago
Quoted from BroMan90:

Got to the Santa mode twice tonight and completed both times. I'll be honest, the first time I didn't know what to expect because I previously got it so infrequently as I never really tried for specific modes. The second time I tried to watch for something special but didn't really notice anything.
Perhaps its in the video and I was too busy playing to see? Tomorrow I'll have my wife watch and listen when I get into the modem to try to pick up on something. I guess I was expecting something more apparently special.

I didn't see anything tonight while playing. Maybe whatever the easter egg is will only happen on December 24th or 25th?

Rob

#6081 3 years ago

It is part of the charm. All 4 should be able to hit the glass.

This is just my opinion, but I did not like them hitting the glass. I modified mine by adding some heat shrink tubing and a zip tie to limit the travel. It's easily reversible and requires no permanent modification.

The one shown is from the crypt entrance.

For the record, I do like how the ball hits the glass on WH2O.

Rob

#6100 3 years ago
Quoted from RobT:

Makes perfect sense.

Of course it does because it's a completely different sound effect. I'm sorry if my blasphemy offends you

Rob

#6124 3 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Anyway. My question is does this game finally have a proper end match sequence?
Is it Elvira at least saying "Unpleasant Dreams"? If they don't have a video of that at the end zooming out of from the couch and out of the house then its a huge wasted opportunity.

The match sequence is the same as it always has been. One of the .9x updates kind of broke the match animation a bit, but I think it's been fixed.

Rob

#6157 3 years ago

I've noticed during play that you can get multiple keys, although I'm not sure what additional bonus there is for this, if any?

1 month later
#6342 3 years ago
Quoted from extraballingtmc:

Confirmed. Just emailed my distributor.
This should get very interesting for those with deposits in...they gonna be furious.

How much is a premium in Canadian funds now?

Rob

#6477 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

What were they saying?

"We like it in the back door!" ??

Rob

4 weeks later
#7028 3 years ago

I wish the spinner did more in the game. It does have a rule for Teenagers from outer space, but other than that I'm not so sure.

Rob

1 week later
#7103 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

The supply has been dried up for a year now. Stern pushed back production after June 2020 to TBD 2021 (apparently April...I’ll believe it when I see it). Took me forever to find one on the secondary market. People who own it don’t want to let it go so you just don’t see it around...not to mention the fact that there are only about 1100 in existence thus far.

I do occasionally get unsolicited requests if I want to sell my LE, but I tell them I am not interested.

Rob

#7224 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Me to. I really do. Didn’t care for it at first when I first saw it and played it. But when the code updated and I actually gave it a chance I fell in love with it immediately when I played it on route.

I didn't care for Elvira when I first saw the reveal. The code was still early and there wasn't even an attract mode lightshow. I feel dumb for saying to Lyman that I didn't like it way back then. I waited and bought the last one I could find (an LE) a year ago now. It certainly changed into one of my favorite games in my collection.

I'm going to probably downsize my pinball collection this year, but Elvira will be staying for sure.

Rob

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
1 week later
#7372 3 years ago

I think 1.02 is buggy. I notice a lot of callouts stepping over each other and with multi modes concurrently running lots of music stepping on each other, ie. trailer trash with house mode running along with happy hour.

Stern, if you are reading I will gladly help test Elvira for you.

In the meantime, I suggest anyone who notices issues to report them to [email protected]

Rob

#7392 3 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

So I hadn't installed new code yet, what's the consensus, too many bugs or bad things? Is it worth it?

Contrary to one message, I don't think there's anything really wrong with this update. Some things seem a bit snappier. Go ahead and update!

Rob

#7420 3 years ago
Quoted from adam12hicks:

So my HoH Deadhead crypt isn’t locking into place correctly. When you hit the ‘closed’ gate, it lowers to reveal the skull, but it doesn’t stay anymore. It just alternates between the skull and the open section / back and forth. I don’t remember if this happened with the 1.02 code or not but it was right around that time. Has anyone else had this issue and is there an easy fix?

There's test in the menu for this. It sounds like the lowest position opto is not triggering which can be the result of a few things. The motor position may need to be adjusted (easy) and make sure the skull slider is not sticking which may cause the carriage not lower all the way to trigger that opto.

Rob

#7504 3 years ago

Do the DeadHeads have any influence on scoring, aside from the 250,000 per head bonus at the end of the ball?

Rob

#7565 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGeeMtl:

But since then I've played a few games with no issues but then suddenly my score starting multiplying "on its own" like in big chunks in the middle of a game (I'm talking 10-20-50M in one shot) and even one time when I just started a game -- it automatically rolled the score up to around 450M before I even plunged. In fact, I believe it even plunged on its own.

As stated by someone else, this would most likely be a ramp opto issue. On my game I enlarged the holes on the left ramp and it's been good since.

Rob

#7596 3 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

I'm glad you posted this. I also bought the LE speakers and haven't been happy with them. I'll give these a go since you say it sounds way better.

If you bought the 'LE Speakers', did you change the speaker resistance setting as well? I can't imagine anyone not liking the LE speakers because I think they sound really good.

Rob

1 week later
#7718 3 years ago
Quoted from Completist:17B is no problem when the glass is off

Or you just need a flakey ramp opto which is a known problem on this game.

Rob

1 week later
#7764 3 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

trying to search however I will ask here. Has anyone had an issue of the crypt skull getiing caught up when its suppose to be level with playfield? comes about 2/3 way down and gets jammed. Motor ok it seems after taking roof off crypt the two black plastic pieces are binding? Anyone have a quick fix? Cheers

Yes, I have had that issue. You can either replace the skull slider plastic or try sanding/filing it so it doesn't stick any more.
I filed my original one, but replaced it with one Stern sent me.
20201115_191653 (resized).jpg20201115_191653 (resized).jpg

#7799 3 years ago
Quoted from isJ:

Started a thread about my deadhead crypt issue here:
If you have any advoce for fixing this f$#*ing crypt lmk!
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-deadhead-crypt#post-6226200

Did you try adjusting the motor position? Just loosen one of the screws and move the motor slightly to adjust. When you test, do so with the playfield down, not up. Also, the round cam that is attached to the gearbox output may have 2 screw holes where one is slightly more outside than the other.

Rob

1 week later
#7949 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:Does anyone have a definitive fix for the Crypt skull head when coming down to appear, gets jammed before seating entirely. I took crypt apart and it's the part after spring which catches the metal and gets jammed there which is plastic.

Where is it sticking? The carriages may have a slight flaw which can cause a sticking issue. Stern sent me a replacement carriage, but it still had the same flaw.

As the skull is pushed forward, the font of it is also being pushed down somewhat because the back part is being pushed up and forward. The bottom of the skull slider bracket can catch on the edge of the slider cutout as shown in my picture. Try filing the square leading edge on the slider plastic into a more rounded shape so it won't stick on the metal egde.

Even a new replacement slider plastic will get stuck on this. I spent a lot of time on this trying to figure the best solution.

Rob

20201016_011729 (resized).jpg20201016_011729 (resized).jpg
#7951 2 years ago
Quoted from wcbrandes:

Yes this was my first though but after further investigation and taking apart the crypt the problem lies in the back of the skull behind where the spring is. There is a plastic end that slides up and down a metal brace and it has a little cut out it seems to catch on. Perhaps you mean it's catching back there because the skull isn't coming forward enough?

I think there's a few different possibilities where it can 'stick'. Can you post a pic of this 'cutout'?

Rob

#7991 2 years ago
Quoted from Nstone4425:

Moreover he said Stern doesn't enjoy making EHOH or BATMAN 66 due to the complexity of the parts and profit margins suck

I'm sure their profit margins are still acceptable for BM66 and EHOH. The MSRP was recently increased by $500 so obviously that horrible cost burden has been somewhat alleviated and passed on to the consumer.

Rob

#7992 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal-911:

I was holding out to buy a premium NIB, but it isn't looking so good at this point. And there is zero chance at finding a used unit in Canada, I may have to forget about adding Elvira to the collection till next year.

PlayerOne didn't get any units at all this spring?

Rob

#7997 2 years ago
Quoted from Rascal-911:

I asked last month and no ETA except sometime in May, maybe. And looking at what people are saying here, its doesn't look good for delivery this year.
Was thinking on trying a Stranger Things Prem in the meantime, but would rather have Elvira.

Elvira premium has been unobtanium for more than a year in Canada. I wanted to buy a premium early last year, but none were to be had. P1 had a single LE stashed away for someone who didn't buy it, so I got lucky and was able to get that one. My enjoyment of the game is only slightly tempered by something else that I wish was different.

Rob

#8008 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

He guys I’m installing some cliffys and plastics in Elvira today and I found this after I put some things back together. It was in the cabinet
Should I be worried?
[quoted image]

Where exactly in the cabinet did you find it? The area you found it may indicate where it came from on the playfield - so you can start there.

Rob

#8030 2 years ago

Has anyone had fast left orbit shots end up in the back door? I'm thinking the ball is hitting a plastic or something and deflecting into the saucer.

Rob

#8036 2 years ago
Quoted from bwill:

One difference in behavior that I have seen on some of the streams compared to my game is when I hit the front door shot. When the ramp is down and the diverter behind the house is also down (ball is NOT going into it hidey hole like when you start a mode), I've seen a lot of streamers EHOH games dropping the ball into the back door. Mine feeds out the left orbit and that seems like the expected behavior... maybe?

I turned the flipper power down a bit to reduce this happening. One of the code updates mentions that you now needed to hit the left orbit as a qualifier for back door skill shot awards. I would have liked to see a 'Back Door Champion' put in the game The thing is I usually try and avoid the back door because it advances the haunt chapter when in fact I'm trying to string out the shots for higher points and increased trailer trash values. The top lane skill shot is way more lucrative too.

Rob

#8037 2 years ago
Quoted from zwartepanter:

Yes same happening to me. I thought it was ment like this? But there is no diverter?

No, the ball seems to rattle into the back door lane/saucer. There isn't anything broken except for the house plastic, but that was normal on all the early run games.

Rob

#8040 2 years ago

For anyone that hasn't seen it, here's the premiere video for EHOH. Sometimes I go back and watch these older premiere videos because they are fun and a reminder of pre-covid times. I don't think there was ever a 'making of' video done for EHOH though.

#8041 2 years ago

And here's a classic moment when Dennis locked a ball, thought it was stuck, but there was a new ball in the shooter lane

2 weeks later
#8247 2 years ago

So you're saying your VUK fires across the playfield and hits the same target very time without tweaking the assembly? It wasn't even a feature in the early code so the factory didn't dial them in. I would be very surprised if this were the case. To my knowledge all the LEs needed tweaked. If yours didn't you got very lucky.

I needed to adjust the VUK bracket position on my LE. After that it has been fine. It's a blind shot when phone a fiend multiball is running.

Rob

1 month later
#9067 2 years ago

So what does Super Head Shot do besides lighting an extra ball (I think)?

Rob

#9068 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

How do you get a post stickied ? Just my opinion, but this post helped me with a year long problem. No more house ramp rejects.

For the record, I turned the power down a bit for the flippers on my game. I never had rejects, but thought the shots were a bit too fast into the house.

I do have a problem with fast left orbit shots bouncing into the back door when they shouldn't. Maybe some day I will get around to looking into that.

I've not played any pinball in a long time and my games have now been collecting dust. I've just been feeling rather unenthusiastic about it all.

Rob

#9157 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

What’s the code status with Elvira? Is it complete?

Any Stern game that reaches 1.0 code version is considered 'complete'. There may be bug fixes and additional polish added by the programmer, but no guarantee that will happen either.

Rob

#9177 2 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

In a recent interview with George Gomez (I don't know which podcast it was. I think it was JAPP.), he suggested that there would be updates to multiple games in September. I believe the question was referencing co-op/alternate modes. Naturally, he was specific about the games or the modes.

I think there will be updates for games to support the online connectivity that Stern is working on.

Rob

#9179 2 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I know that... I guess I should have been more specific. Is it complete from the players perspective? No obvious holes?

Well, from my perspective I would still like to see a few things fixed/tweaked. No major issues I know of in the game though.

Rob

#9180 2 years ago
Quoted from larkin90:

Opinions please.. I’ve got a Prem coming within the next 6 weeks and I’ve got both mirror blades and art blades, of which I’m not sure what I’ll use on the machine. I get it’s ‘each to their own’ but is there a general consensus of what actually looks better on this particular game?

I have an LE so it came with art blades already installed. So I'd say go with art blades

Rob

#9217 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

Anytime the game auto kicks the ball out of the cellar (raises the house stairs) the ball goes straight down the middle with no chance of a save. On everyone else's game where does the ball usually hit when coming out of the cellar?

Mine did this because the scoop was loose. Once tightened it was good. If yours is tight, you could probably loosen it and turn it slightly to fire to the right more. The video shows how much wiggle room there is.

Rob

3 weeks later
#9363 2 years ago
Quoted from Vernisious:

Tiki mode is scored by hitting the ramps. So the opto is giving you ghost hits.
I had a similar issue with an opto on Metallica. It would score numerous sparky hits for one hit. The connection for the opto was loose and not providing consistent power.

Except with EHOH the ramp optos are notorious for having alignment issues. A bigger hole usually needs to be drilled for the optos if they are not working correctly.

Rob

#9407 2 years ago
Quoted from Chalkey:

I swear your same issue is talked about like 5 posts ago, and every few pages.
Check your ramp optos.

I think I drilled the holes on my left ramp out to about 1/4 inch and it's been good since then. I tried re-aligning the optos first and that didn't work out.

Rob

#9413 2 years ago

Someone at Stern can still pick up the reigns and do some finishing touches if the powers to be say to do so. However that will be a real hard act to follow.

Elvira could use a few tweaks. I'd like a better spinner sound and more rules for it. For example, beast booster is used only in "Teenagers From Outer Space". I wish there was a beast booster shot during every movie. Oh and I'd really like the font size and justification issues fixed. Wishful thinking....

Rob

#9417 2 years ago
Quoted from simpswho:

Maybe, Lyman has done more work on game and this is one of the September, surprise surprise from Stern?

My guess is that the long awaited internet connectivity will finally make its debut in September. Just one more month to wait!

Rob

1 week later
#9473 2 years ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Plus yeah, the code really does live up to the hype..its completely and totally warped lol. Speaking of which.. I did happen to notice in that recent article that it stated Lyman's departure from Stern was back in late last year -and being that we've seen updates at least as late as March of this year (if I remember off hand), wouldnt that mean there must have been some ongoing arrangement for updates even though his employment was already over? We might just see some of those artwork references coded yet! Thought Id share that! : ))

I think the last 2 updates were done by other Stern programmers.

Rob

#9480 2 years ago
Quoted from Cheeks:

Complete NOOB question...
How do I adjust playfield switches on Stern games? I've done this a million times on B/W games, super easy. My trunk Lock 1 switch registers with my finger but not the ball. The way the switch wire is bent (with the "tab" bent into the end) it doesn't let you adjust the way you could on B/W games. As-is, I can't seem to get the switch to ride higher above the playfield. I could remove the switch and rebend the whole thing, but there has to be an easier way.

Sometimes you can just loosen the screws holding the switch in place which can give a small amount of adjustability.

Rob

#9504 2 years ago

1) What is the consensus on fixing the ball coming back down the house ramp when starting a haunt (Elvira talking and GI dark)? Mine rejects about 50% of the time.

Try lowering the flipper power in the game settings.

Rob

1 week later
#9577 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:Glad someone else said it haha, for the life of me I could not enjoy AIQ. I am an Elwin fan, to a point, but im coming to the conclusion his games are just too damn hard for me, and that's ok. Elvira is the perfect game for my humble little collection.
Also, mentioned before but enjoy your youtube vids

Elvira is one of the smoothest shooting games I have ever owned or played. I like how Lyman designed the haunts where you can keep diving deeper if you want (on most haunts), or finish it off if the final shot is lit. Even Gappa Angry has its reward levels so it's not 'game over' if you fail to make all the locks. Gappa Angry is also perhaps one of the best modes in any modern pinball game. The only drawback with Elvira is that some things could have been polished (fleshed out) better. I will mention WWMB which is a very shallow multiball which becomes rather pointless (boring) after the first Super Jackpot is scored. The subsequent jackpots also score as Supers (if I remember correctly), but the points are just mediocre. There isn't anything to work towards in the MB after that.

Rob

#9584 2 years ago

I really want the Beast Booster spinner to some effect for all haunts, not just TFOS.

Rob

#9595 2 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:Anyone have this issue?
My crypt mech has been acting up. Gets stuck in one position where you bash the head and it doesn’t register.
We replace the Crypt board and something is still going on.
In TEST MODE I can’t use the coin door +/- Buttons to move from positions 77, 78 and 79. It’s frozen. All other mech test are fine.
Then when I close the coin door while in test mode I can move the mech from position to position.
Node board issue?

Pull out the coin door interlock switch if the coin door is open.

Rob

2 weeks later
#9690 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

He’s even on Pinside, and I’m sure he would post something if he felt the need to. Hopefully Stern treated him with respect, and he just decided it was time for a break. I’m super bummed, but the game is already really good. Kind of sucks there are still a couple movies not yet coded

I think there's enough movies in the game. The trouble is where would you put new ones?

My #1 wish is for the spinner to have more purpose.

Rob

#9691 2 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

There's actually so much content available that I believe the original intent of the turret was to change the entire lineup of movies.

So does the turret actually do anything besides give an add-a-ball during house party multiball?

Rob

#9738 2 years ago

$2200 doesn't include shipping?!

Rob

1 week later
#9760 2 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

To be super clear: games with magnets take hundreds of games to magnetize the balls. You might need to replace them at some point, but you want to do that anyway when the balls become scratched.

I would disagree with this. The factory balls on my Metallica Premium got magnetized probably within 50 plays and were then getting stuck in the coffin lock. Some balls are worse than others for getting magnetized.

Rob

#9791 2 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Just thought I'd share this...
I always thought M:THOF was the most lucrative haunt until I noticed that the ramp combos during TWOW increased in value what seemed exponentially. Tonight while playing, I was able to keep the ramp combos going until my last shot was worth 27 million. The final shot to the house was only 20 million. The whole haunt ended up being worth 176 million! I collected the Trailer Trash (with bits) for another 176 million. Then collected it again during Director's Cut. That one haunt ended up being worth 529,200,000! And that was without Double Trouble![quoted image]

Some haunts can be more lucrative than others because they have a lot more scenes in them. It just depends whether you keep trying to extend the haunt or cash it it earlier. Although I don't think I've ever been close to 176 million on any haunt - maybe 100-120 tops.

Trailer trash is too easy. I always thought it should count down even the 1x value, albeit maybe a bit slower. Well, just my thought anyhow...

Rob

#9797 2 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Did that. Only saw one change on the House Party from 750k to 100k. Was wondering if anyone else noticed any changes in the scoring or stacking of modes/multi balls.

Maybe he has an out of alignment opto on a ramp. That can cause massive points when unhappy hour is running.

Rob

#9824 2 years ago
Quoted from DudeRegular:

Gappa Angry and locked 6 for the multiball. That was pretty fun for sure.

I think Gappa Angry is one the best ever wizard modes in a pinball game.

Rob

#9844 2 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Maybe we'll get lucky and find out Lyman had some finished code already to go and they are just waiting to roll it out with the Stern Insider Connected update. That would be a nice Xmas present.

With our luck, the game will now explode on December 25th....

Rob

#9856 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Is it SUPPOSED to be open? No
Is that what Stern considers normal? Yes
Can it be fixed? Yes, but only with a lot of work and a bit of luck. (I didn’t bother)

The only way it could properly be fixed is with a new opto board that re-positions the middle position opto.

Rob

#9894 2 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Wonder if we might get more code. Game is pretty full, but more haunts would be nice.

No more haunts...! Polish what is already in the game. Fix the font issues, make house multiballs more fun and more beast booster.

Rob

#9896 2 years ago
Quoted from JakePG:

feel like it's a must now

Insider Connected update for sure. I would not expect on anything else.

Rob

#9966 2 years ago
Quoted from coasterguy:

So did my autographed LE just increase in value then? I mean.[quoted image]

Why do you have Elvis's signature on your game? Oh wait, that's Elvira....

Rob

#9988 2 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Still no adult mode?

I'm still a kid! 54, soon to be 55.... but still

Rob

#9991 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

Yeah I’m ashamed I let it bother me so much. I think what got me the most was how long folks have been waiting on premiums while they make announcements for new stuff.
Everyone deserves to enjoy this incredible game.

It's incredible because of the programming, artistry, sound and game design. Dennis, Lyman, Greg and Jeremy all did a great job on this game. Oh, and who can forget Elvira of course!

Rob

#10027 2 years ago

When pinballs die, they usually go legs up...

Rob

3 weeks later
#10169 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:And that's where it should of been from the factory. Great job!

As long as you're not using a bill acceptor it's ok.

Rob

1 week later
#10216 2 years ago
Quoted from McDoom:

Hi folks,
I'm still getting grief from the right ramp (upper right Opto) registering ghost hits at the rate of machine-gun fire!
Can someone instruct me where in the settings I can go to test this opto in the test settings, so I don't have to start a game to test it.
Thanks

It's a common problem so I wouldn't even bother testing. You will have to slightly enlarge the holes in front of each opto. 1/4 inch should be enough. Start with a smaller bit and work your way up to that size.

Rob

#10259 2 years ago
Quoted from marvinmax:

"We contact you regarding your pre-order of the Elvira pinball machine. We have been informed by the manufacturer that the pinball machine will no longer be available in this form. Therefore we are forced to cancel the order. Of course we will refund your full deposit that you have already paid us. We are very sorry. We thank you for your understanding."

I guess if Stern is really pulling the plug after the 40th ships, others will know soon too with their orders cancelled.

Rob

#10274 2 years ago
Quoted from Ajoelson579:

Thanks! So far so good on all of those. The crypt kicker seems to be spitting balls out pretty hard on the playfield though. Do people tend to dial the power back on that at all?

A little... You will have to test what power setting works best without having the ball miss the left side standup targets. Too strong and it will probably hit the post above the targets. Too soft and it will probably become inconsistent with hitting the targets or launch into the left outlane area or left sling. Only when the VUK is aligned correctly can you get consistent shots to the targets.

Rob

#10275 2 years ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

I am thinking it is not possible to get anything besides Santa if your machine is set to December.

I never set the date on my pins... Maybe I should.. Does insider connected set the time automatically?

Rob

#10294 2 years ago
Quoted from gumnut01:

Curious to know owners thoughts on both machines. Do they prefer their EHOH over Maiden?

Elvira is a much friendlier playing game than Maiden. I find Maiden more frustrating than fun.

Rob

#10329 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:I've had it happen too. Haven't been able to figure out what does it though.

What version of code?

Rob

#10330 2 years ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Just had a game end with a score that is not divisible by 10. I didn't think that was possible. Anyone know what scores 5 points?
[quoted image]

What version of code? I might have an idea where the issue is.

Rob

#10338 2 years ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:I'm on 1.02.0
I actually had it happen again today.[quoted image]

It's a bug related to trailer trash countdown. A similar bug was fixed in .97, but I guess not completely? I was able to reproduce it the first time I tried, but not since.

Rob

#10342 2 years ago

I figured out a way to consistently reproduce it.
Steps:
- Start a new game.
- Start Teenagers From Outer Space (top left window).
- Get to the final shot where the beast booster and final shot are lit.
- Hit the beast booster until the lower value on the screen ends in 500
- Complete the haunt.
- Start Trailer Trash.
- Hit one ramp
- Then shoot the center shot (completing Trailer trash)
Blam-o! A 5 point shot. Here is a video of me doing it three times in a row:
My theory:
During Teenagers From Outer Space, before making the final shot to complete the haunt. The spinner is lit to increase the jackpot. Hitting that spinner will make the final shot value either end in 500 or 000 (watch the lower number).
When that value is 500. Trailer trash seems to calculated by starting at 50% of the value of that final lower score (or that score is added to be part of the final score), with the ramps each adding 25%. Hence, 25% of 500 is 125. So if you only shoot one ramp and the final shot, your at 75% the score which will give you that 5 pointer (more specifically a 375 pointer).
When that value ends in an even thousand (000). Everything works fine. As 25% of 1000 is 250.
Hence, the bug isn't actually with the countdown of the trailer trash. It's with the point value calculation.
I hope that information helps!
Edit: I updated this post to include more accurate information as I discovered it.

Great job figuring it out! I was anticipating it had something to do with the final score, but couldn't find the right combination that didn't end in 000.
I did let Stern know about the bug the other day, but it really helps when there's steps to reproduce it every time.

Rob

#10358 2 years ago

It looks like Rob_G has already got this covered.

I submitted the bug report internally to Stern, not using the bug report email address.

I also did ask if they could fix the font issues. For example, some fonts used during end of ball bonus are so small and difficult to read. There's no guarantee stuff will get fixed unfortunately. But, I do try....

Rob

#10369 2 years ago

One of my favorite callouts in the game:

"Do I look like a maniac that goes around killing girls?"

"Spoiler alert, yes you do!"

Rob

#10383 2 years ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

For anyone wanting to see it, here is the bonus clip. (Sorry about the echo in the audio and the Deadheads.)
https://clips.twitch.tv/BashfulDepressedGoldfishSpicyBoy-LggjOC8FdksM9yeH

Thanks for sharing!

Rob

#10402 2 years ago

Go back and read the release notes from the 1.0 update. It was a MASSIVE update by Lyman and there's things in there you have maybe never even seen yet. For example, has anyone seen the score spider?

The attention to detail on some of the changes..... wow! I think there's still untapped potential in the game in regards to the house turret and beast booster spinner.

V1.00.0 - Oct. 15, 2020
=======================

- Fixed an issue with QUESTION MARK on the HAND OF FATE wheel where it
would not score the correct points.
- Replaced temporary art for WILD MARKET VALUE.
- Fixed a bug in SUPER HAND OF FATE where draining down the left outlane
when the outlane was not lit would trigger the MANOS JACKPOT effect and
show a total of 00.
- Added the DJ MIXER so users can play music in the attract mode.
- Added an adjustment for ball save at the start of DIRECTOR'S CUT.
- Exclude certain lamps from the start of DIRECTOR'S CUT (i.e. shoot
again, etc.).
- Finishing THEY CAME FROM SPACE now scores 100M.

- Added sounds to DIRECTOR'S CUT level award; these were missing.
- Added TOPPER scream effects for MULTIBALL starts and GARAGE MULTIBALL
super jackpots.
- Added settings for in-game SCREAM percentage and time to lock out before
allowing more.
- Changed the text color for the HOUSE ADVANCE/LIT from red to purple to
match lighting on house.
- Added a jackpot to SANTA CLAUS CONQUERS THE MARTIANS so it scores
like the other haunts. Cleaned up the background display effect
messages to provide some more information. Blink the HOUSE ENTRANCE
lamp BRIGHT when the HOUSE is lit to finish the HAUNT.
- Added a ball save (5 seconds) to the start of GAPPA ANGRY.
- Cleaned up various things in THE SATANIC RITES OF DRACULA. Added
shot values to the background display effect. Increase shot values
after shots are made. Added jackpot for final shot. Made the HOUSE
ENTRANCE shot brighter when lit to finish the mode.
- Added adjustments for FLIPPER POWER.
- Cleaned up various things in THE GIANT GILA MONSTER. Reworked the
background display effect text. Added a jackpot for the final shot.
Reworked the pop bumper scoring; this now also adds to the jackpot
value for each pop bumper hit. Added pop bumper lights to the second
part so the player knows to shoot the pop bumpers. Changed the text
color to YELLOW to match the lamps in the HAUNT. Changed bright/dark
lamps so the player knows when shooting the HOUSE ENTRANCE ramp will
advance the mode. Reworked the scoring so it is more in-line with
the other haunts.
- THE GIANT GILA MONSTER was not restarting the timer on a pop bumper hit.
This has been corrected.

- Implemented the DAGGER; this adds a bonus to each non-multiball HAUNT.
- Added completion (display, rule cleanup) to THEY CAME FROM SPACE; this
was missing.
- Added DIRECTOR'S CUT awards to the BACK DOOR SKILL SHOT and the BACK DOOR
SNEAK-IN.
- Fixed an issue with THE MANSTER where it was not adding the final shot
value to the total for HIGH SCORE TO DATE.
- Fixed an issue with THE WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON where it was not adding
the stage 3 last shot value to the jackpot value.
- Cleaned up background text for the last stage of MANOS: THE HANDS OF
FATE; there is only the final shot for the jackpot, so only show that.
- Added display, sounds, and lamp effect for SUPER HAND OF FATE total.
- Added new video clip to start of SUPER HAND OF FATE.
- Fixed up DIRECTOR'S CUT start lamp effect for new intro.
- Added WILD MARKET VALUE rule:
- Start in the CELLAR after performing the following tasks:
a) Start DIRECTOR'S CUT.
b) Banish CLOWN deadhead (SUPER HEAD SHOT).
c) Start PHONE-A-FIEND multiball.
d) Start GAPPA ANGRY.
e) Start GAR-GOILS GONE WILD.
f) Start ATTIC ATTACK multiball.
g) Start THEY CAME FROM SPACE.
- Shoot WILD MARKET VALUE target for hurry-up value and sell the
house.
- The MARKET VALUE of the HOUSE is built up over the course of the
game by hitting the WILD MARKET VALUE standup target. The value of
the target is 100K * the number of tasks completed; this value is
added to the MARKET VALUE of the HOUSE each time the target is hit.
- Added and fixed music for WILD MARKET VALUE.
- Increased WILD MARKET VALUE timer from 20 seconds to 30 seconds so the
hurry-up counts down slower.
- Added display, sounds, and lamp effect for WILD MARKET VALUE target.

- Fix up audio/rebalance volumes for SCREAM TEST and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
- Reworked HOUSE PARTY scoring. Instead of 750K + 75K per shot, it is now
100K + 25K per shot made during all haunts leading up to HOUSE PARTY.
- Added new video clips for PHONE-A-FIEND START.
- Starting PHONE-A-FIEND now awards a bonus for all TRUNK ITEMS that have
been collected.
The current formula is:
(
(100K * number of SKELETON KEYS collected)
+
(100K * number of LAB TESTS (FLASKS) collected)
+
(100K * number of DAGGERS collected)
)
(1 + number of RAY GUNS collected)
Once the bonus has been collected at the start of PHONE-A-FIEND, the
number of RAY GUNS is set to ZERO.
- Fixed an issue that was causing the first frame of the "YOU'RE UP"
animation in the score display to be rendered incorrectly (the font
shadow was off by some number of pixels).
- Implemented a setting that keeps shots unlit during the open-ended
portions of certain modes (most notably, MANOS). This is set to 2 for
competition mode.
- Excluded some lamps for UN HAPPY HOUR shot large lamp effect (jackpots,
RGB arrows).
- Record high scores for MANSTER after a switch score (it was missing).
- Added a setting to pause timers w/ no switch activity after a time.
This is enabled for competition mode.
- Added a setting for making UN HAPPY HOUR difficult (the last ramp shot
made is OFF for a time period). Default is HARD for competition mode.
- Added more variety to the short versions of HAUNT completed (i.e.,
instead of "GREAT WORK!" all of the time, also play "NICE WORK!", "WELL
PLAYED!", and "WOW, WHAT A BLAST!")
- Added logic for player score spider. If there are at least two players
in the game and a player is behind by more than 250M and the player who
is up has scored more than 250M on the current ball and has been playing
for 10 minutes or more, a spider will crawl down the screen and spin a
web over the lowest scoring player's score.
- Start GAPPA ANGRY on BACK DOOR skill shot or BACK DOOR sneak-in.
- Added additional logic to keep the CELLAR RAMP from moving too soon.
When the CELLAR entrance opto is made, requests to move ramp are delayed
long enough so the ball can get into the CELLAR VUK. This stops the
motor from running up and down when it doesn't need to when the CELLAR
shot is made during DIRECTOR'S CUT and other modes.

- Allow DIRECTOR'S CUT start display effect to be canceled by the flippers.
- Increased the base value of UN HAPPY HOUR from 250k to 400k.
- Increased the base value of DRIVE ME CRAZY from 100k to 250k for each
deadhead banished.
- Reworked DIRECTOR'S CUT READY to incorporate the TRAILER TRASH rule:
- When completing the 4th HAUNT, do not light TRAILER TRASH.
- DIRECTOR'S CUT READY has LEFT RAMP, RIGHT RAMP, HOUSE RAMP lit in
CYAN (the color for DIRECTOR'S CUT).
- RAMPS behave exactly like TRAILER TRASH for awarding 4th HAUNT
points, except there is no hurry-up involved.
- Release balls locked in TRUNK LOCK after tilt during THEY CAME FROM
SPACE.
- Added a light show for completing the pop bumpers during POOL PARTY.
- Implemented the setting TRUNK DIVERTER WITH LOCKS behavior:
- OPEN = release locked balls at the start of multiball.
- CLOSED = keep locked balls, trunk diverter will stay closed as
long as there are balls locked in the trunk.
The only rule affected by this is MAKE-OUT MAYHEM.
- Fixed up video clips for MAKE-OUT MAYHEM. Some of these ran during the
background display effect when they should not (NOTLD, TFOS, TWOW, and
TWWOW).

- The TRUNK LID was not staying closed ALWAYS when there was a ball locked
in the TRUNK. This has been corrected.
- Lighten up shaker motor effect for GAPPA ANGRY sneak-in.
- Use a better sound for the DROP TARGET when hit.
- Fixed a bug in MAKE-OUT MAYHEM where the super jackpots would never light
up.
- Some sound effects for THEY CAME FROM SPACE would not interrupt sounds
always in progress. This has been corrected.
- When down to one ball during THEY CAME FROM SPACE, sneaking a ball into
the TRUNK LOCK will lock the ball and serve a new ball. After all balls
are lost during THEY CAME FROM SPACE, any balls locked in the TRUNK LOCK
will be released and the mode will continue instead of ending as before.
- "Egads, have you had enough" speech from Sir Normus Cranium did not have
reverb. This has been corrected.
- Shortened the effect for GAPPA ANGRY LEVEL 4 (TRUNK) LOCK when the ball
does not end up in the TRUNK so the illumination is not off when the ball
may be live on the playfield.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for DRIVE ME CRAZY total.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for UN HAPPY HOUR total.
- Added new speech for UN HAPPY HOUR start.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for GAR-GOILS GONE WILD total.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for HOUSE PARTY total.
- Added adjustment "MOVIE TRAILER LENGTH" (Normal, Short, Off).
- The SUPER JACKPOT value for GAPPA ANGRY MULTIBALL was not being added to
for each shot during the mode. This has been corrected.
- Added sounds and lights for DIRECTOR'S CUT total.
- Added left and right ramp exit for consideration to reset the DROP TARGET.

- Limit the times the DROP TARGET can be raised to prevent balls from
getting stuck behind the target.
- Added video clips, sounds, and speech for GAPPA ANGRY MULTIBALL total.
- Added a MOVIE TRAILER that plays at the end of the game based on what
the player did in the game.
- Added more video clips to GAPPA ANGRY MULTIBALL.
- Added SUPER JACKPOT to GAPPA ANGRY MULTIBALL. Added display effect,
sounds, and speech.
- Added SUPER JACKPOTS to DANCE FEVER, MAKE-OUT MAYHEM, and RUN FOR YOUR
LIFE. Added display effect, sounds, and speech.
- Added additional speech for the start of SCREAM TEST.
- Added jackpot and feature lamps to the start effects for DANCE FEVER,
MAKE-OUT MAYHEM, SCREAM TEST, and RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
- Lower priority of freak fryer super jackpot display effects after some
amount of time (after big sounds and score has been displayed) so other
effects (jackpot) can come through.
- Added video clips for the start of RUN FOR YOUR LIFE.
- Added video clips for the start of SCREAM TEST.
- Added video clips, sounds, lights for SCREAM TEST total.
- Added video clips and speech to the start of MAKE-OUT MAYHEM.
- Added video clips, sounds, lights for MAKE-OUT MAYHEM total.
- Added sounds and lights for DANCE FEVER total.
- Rework POOL PARTY total, video clips, sounds, lights.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for the ADD-A-ZOMBIE MULTIBALL
total. Removed text before speech. Show Elvira on the total page when
the super jackpot has been collected.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for the ATTIC ATTACK MULTIBALL
total.
- Added a lamp effect for the WILD WOMEN MULTIBALL total.
- Increased the volume for level 1 of GAPPA ANGRY; this was quieter than
the higher levels.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights, for the PHONE-A-FIEND total. The
total page shows the maximum number of phones lit up during the multiball.
- Added video clips, sounds, and lights for the TRUNK MULTIBALL total.
- Added video clips for the FREAK FRYER level award.
- Added WILD MARKET VALUE HSTD to the attract mode.
- Fill out remainder of sound test table (includes MUSIC, FX and VO).
- Added video clips for NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD, THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T
DIE, THE MANSTER, and THE WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON totals.
- Changed text color to green-ish for THE MANSTER total page.
- Changed text color to silver-ish for THE WEREWOLF OF WASHINGTON total
page.
- Added illumination lights to FREAK FRYER multiball backgrounds and
awards.
- Added the HOUSE PARTY lamp when ready/active.
(This may be the first time ever that I have an insert that doesn't light
up and the rule is implemented. Note to self: you still got it wrong.)
- If a DEADHEAD is lit for completion where the player is allowed to fire
the ball at the 36-24-36 targets to banish the DEADHEAD and complete the
mode AND the CRYPT is lit to lock a ball during level 3 of GAPPA ANGRY,
then banish the DEADHEAD immediately and lock the ball for GAPPA ANGRY.
- Do not allow the FREAK FRYER to advance towards lighting GAPPA ANGRY
during THEY CAME FROM SPACE.

#10404 2 years ago

This game and Metallica would probably be the last games to ever leave my collection, unless I was offered stupid money. There's only 1 thing I kind of want right now, but it's not pinball related. I'll probably downsize in the spring to only these 2 games.

Rob

3 weeks later
#10522 2 years ago

I recently started having the ball getting stuck at the trunk entrance. Has anyone else had this issue? It's like the trunk wasn't opening as high as it could. A quick inspection shows no issue with the coil bracket assembly, but the trunk lid has a bit of up/down play in it.

Rob

20220121_193558 (resized).jpg20220121_193558 (resized).jpg
#10527 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Does anyone have an extra EHoH Stern banner they are willing to sell? I would like to buy one. PM me. Thx.

I think there is someone (in Europe?) selling knock-offs that are a bit smaller, but since they aren't officially licensed I decided to not purchase.

Rob

#10531 2 years ago
Quoted from darkryder:Just finished installing DocQuest's dual screen mod on my Elvira LE and it exceeds all expectations! Just an incredible mod, WOW.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HGcZFfqzZSs1irJdoKvX-H5K7aa4T97p/view?usp=sharing[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Looks nice, but for me I would leave the signatures in place.

Rob

#10546 2 years ago

On my to do list:

Get the manos wheel. I have never completed the main wheel, not even close. Many games I don't even get 1 slice taken out of it.

Figure out what adding a zombie does in add-a-zombie multiball

Get attic attack multiball and see how the turret plays into this mode

Get Gappa Angry multiball.

Sell the house....

Rob

#10552 2 years ago

I re-watched the Elvira premiere on Dead Flip. In it they mention the game has video assets from 26 movies. I don't have pinball browser, but are most of the video assets in the code actually used in the game? I assume that many of these assets are for other things like 'Drive Me Crazy', house multiballs etc... That must have been a tonne of work for Lyman to do, especially how he split up the scenes during the haunts.

Rob

#10555 2 years ago

There is a quick callout in the game, kind of hillbilly sounding and I don't know what it says. Does anyone know what I am talking about?

Rob

#10578 2 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

Just talked with Melissa...they are all spoken for and gone She said she got torched with calls..lol.

I hope the buyers are actually going to use them as opposed to flipping them. The only way to counteract that is don't buy from flippers.

Rob

#10624 2 years ago
Quoted from jfh:Well, I sure hope these new toppers are going to actual Elvira owners without them and not opportunistic scalpers.
I’m beginning to think that Stern should do what CGC did with Cactus Canyon - if you want a topper you have to order it with your game or like what PPS is doing with the mirrored backglass - limit of one per game purchased and only through the distributor that sold you the game.

Stop! You're making too much sense!!

Rob

1 week later
#10680 2 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Any reason to update to latest code, I'm not interested in the connected portion.

Not that I am aware of. There will be another update in the near future because they have to fix the trailer trash scoring bug. I'm sure all games will get more updates as Insider Connected features grow.

I'd like to see them put in 'pew pew pew' mode also. It was one of the last features Lyman programmed in the game, but he wasn't sure how it would start. He said it made him laugh... We all need that.

Rob

#10687 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Maybe a mode could start with a certain number of rips to the spinner. Would be fun to have that spinner factor in a bit more.

Every haunt should have at least 1 beast booster shot I think.

Rob

1 week later
#10758 2 years ago

The sad truth is Elvira is a low demand game compared to other titles Stern offers. They only have so much capacity at the factory. It will be on the line once more and that will be it. You can't be mad at them for going after the bigger prize. Usually these "deals" run for 3 years. Guess when the rights are up? Could it be November 2022???? Congrats to anyone getting one of the last games. It is a great title and will be highly desirable going forward.

I sold my BM66 to some operators in Winnipeg this week. They said they have an EHOH on location and it doesn't earn well. My buddy also seems to really dislike the game. I think the game maybe doesn't appeal to the masses, but the collectors and people who get the humor really seem to like it.

Rob

1 month later
#10987 2 years ago
Quoted from EightBitLife:

After seeing the above post I noticed this. Is this normal? It's like the head is too heavy and it's pulling it down.
Also I found a random screw right next to the crypt, but I cannot see were it's missing from if at all.
[quoted image]

It's normal, all are like that.

The screw maybe came out from behind one of the gargoyles.

Rob

1 month later
#11131 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:

i hope they do but im not certain. I just wish there was more variety to the modes, like hit the spinner x amount of times, or timed shots etc. It seems like its all just hit the lit static shots.

You have to realize there are different (colored) shots in the modes. Some shots continue the chapter, others will end it and progress towards the end of the haunt. How fast you complete a haunt and how much you score depends on what shots you make. Keep in mind that a longer haunt means more points and a bigger trailer trash reward. A few of the haunts can be incredibly long to complete if you avoid advancing the chapter.

Here is a quote from an email I have from Lyman:

"I added a stage in between the skeletons and the beast booster spinner for TFOS. Now after shooting the skeletons, you have to hit the cellar and then the spinner will light up.

I don't like how you can't really see the RGB arrow on the right loop (the spinner blocks it). Also I like the story progression now with the added scene, as the scene I added was the guy being attacked in the cave by the lobster creature (there are some good sounds for this). There's a good Elvira quote for it too.

Hopefully adding one extra shot to the mode doesn't make it too hard, I like that some modes are short (TFOS) and some modes are long (MTHOF, MANSTER)."

Rob

#11132 1 year ago
Quoted from jfh:

Greg apparently has asked George for some programmer time to add a few things and do some clean up but I suspect we’ve seen the last code release.

Greg Freres?

There are numerous things to clean up which is a 'nice to have', but nothing broken that requires immediate attention that I know of. I gave Stern a list many months ago along with one for BM66. What comes of that I have no idea because I'm just an distant outsider to them. Lyman even suggested that I email Greg because he thought Greg would still care enough about the game to try and get some things done with it. That was after Lyman had left Stern of course.

It would be nice and I hope George does find budget for it.

Rob

#11133 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Well this was Lyman's last completed game, and he's not around to continue to improve it.
It's too bad..... it had so much still to be implemented in it..... had he lived I bet it would have been.
Don't think anyone is going to touch it.
At least with Cactus Canyon they got all this thoughts on the mode design. They can code it all without him.
Do they even have all this ideas for EHOH?

I have some and I think I shared them with Stern. For example, he coded a mode called 'pew pew pew' which is basically a frenzy mode with laser sounds and it's based off the ray gun.

Quoted from Lyman (just a few weeks before he left Stern):

"pew pew pew mode is a fast-scoring mode (similar to Iron Man fast scoring) where every switch scores 25K and the game says "PEW". It's pretty funny, makes me laugh.
I have it implemented but I don't know how or when I want the player to activate it.
The most logical place it to allow the player to activate it using the fire button, but I am currently using that for the RAY GUN.
Maybe after the player collects a ray gun and uses it, where they have no more ray guns, they could hit the fire button three times in a row and I could start it there.
Maybe the scoring is based on how many ray guns the player has used up so far"

For the record, I hope nobody takes exception for me sharing the email or information therein. If you want me to stop, please send me a PM. Stern may not like me sharing this stuff, no matter how innocent it may seem. I'm just trying to share some insights I have and I hope that is ok.

Rob

#11135 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

That's fantastic! Thanks for sharing

Just remember, don't expect anything and you will never be disappointed

Rob

#11142 1 year ago
Quoted from xbmanx:Honestly i didnt understand this - i'll have to check it out when im in game.

Check the on screen text for the haunts because there's actually different scoring for many of them. For example, Manster (I think) has every switch hit worth points. Another one may award bonus for combo shots.

Rob

#11149 1 year ago
Quoted from PinCrush:

Thanks I'll give that a try and agree the monitor settings won't fix the artifacts, I was just thinking the brightness is so high is accentuating the problem. Seems a bit washed out to me.

I think your EHOH cpu board identifies your game as an LE and that's not on the SD card.

Just download sd card image from Stern website and reload it on your card first.

Rob

4 weeks later
#11265 1 year ago

Anyone else get just a little bit of hope each time a Stern code update email comes in, that maybe just maybe it will be Elvira?
I know I do.

No, because Elvira code probably has about 0% priority over at Stern. I think Greg Freres still cares about the game though.

Rob

1 month later
#11402 1 year ago

Sounds like an out of alignment opto. Go into the test menu to see what is triggering.

Usually it's the left or right ramp opto. Not the entrance opto, but the one situated just after the ramp bend. I have to fix the left ramp opto on my game because it's now not working at all.

Rob

#11414 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Well, who's going to have the guts to continue Lyman's last coding job?

I would love to at least fix the haunt description texts. I'd do it for free!

Rob

2 weeks later
#11492 1 year ago

My game does not have that ball.
[quoted image]

You got ripped off then!

Just kidding of course.
/disclaimer

Rob

2 weeks later
#11567 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

All switch hits increase the Freak Fryer. (150 per level first time - adjustable in settings) Utilize multiball strategy above.

Which is why I wish auto-launched balls went to the left orbit rather than the pops.

Rob

2 weeks later
#11687 1 year ago

Target lasted less that 2 years in Canada..... They got a big US tax break from that however!

Rob

3 weeks later
#11827 1 year ago
Quoted from PersonX99:I did respond back to everyone, but yes, I don't live on Pinside 24/7.

I think there's a pinside achievement for that.

Rob

#11885 1 year ago

Just going through some older emails I have....

I have a lot of information from Lyman about his thoughts on this game, what he planned to do and a bit of backstory. I tried to ask Stern to fix some of these things, but it just never happened. Lyman was all about immersion in pinball. He liked to draw the player in and tell a story. Some of the haunts in EHOH were updated as such, some were not. It was on his to do list....

I was also (jokingly) bugging him to fix the vuk on his game... I don't think he ever fixed it though...

----
Going to fix my VUK tomorrow!!!

What the *VUK!!!

- Lyman
----

Discussion about 'immersion' in EHOH.

Sent: July 2, 2020 7:33 AM
To: Rob Ganshorn <[email protected]>
Subject: RE: TFOS text

Hi Rob,

Yeah I like this too. I did it in a couple of places like NOTLD but it should be everywhere. It helps with immersion.

We did this a lot on Medieval Madness. For example instead of calling the left ramp "THE LEFT RAMP" and saying "SHOOT LEFT RAMP" (which is a geeked-out pinball term that no casual player can understand), we themed it "THE PEASANT RAMP" or "THE REVOLTING PEASANTS" and referred to it in the game as such.

Same thing with the catapult, the joust loops, the damsel ramp, etc.

I guess it's like reading an awkward sentence in a book that pulls you out of the story, calling things geeky pinball terms like "LEFT RAMP" and "SPINNER" and "VARI-TARGET" only probably contribute to confusing the casual player.

I like the other approach and will see what I can do.

Thanks!

I added a stage in between the skeletons and the beast booster spinner for TFOS. Now after shooting the skeletons, you have to hit the cellar and then the spinner will light up.

I don't like how you can't really see the RGB arrow on the right loop (the spinner blocks it). Also I like the story progression now with the added scene, as the scene I added was the guy being attacked in the cave by the lobster creature (there are some good sounds for this). There's a good Elvira quote for it too.

Hopefully adding one extra shot to the mode doesn't make it too hard, I like that some modes are short (TFOS) and some modes are long (MTHOF, MANSTER).

Although we have tomorrow off for Independence Day I will be working and should be able to send out some new code by lunch-time or so.

- Lyman

#11886 1 year ago

I am kind of surprised nobody has tried making decals for the gargoyle standups?! Spice those up a bit...

Rob

1 month later
#12107 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Lyman only really roughed it in. There's tons planned but not implemented in this game. Just a crap deal all around with him no longer being with us.

I wish Stern had put some resources on finishing up/balancing a few things in the game. But, Insider Connected got in the way.......

Rob

#12114 1 year ago

The outlane ball save after each dead head completion and extra ball after completing two are quite good rewards IMO as I don't find the shot to be very risky.
You can also use the crypt to help with your left target completion too as it gives you a little ball save. This helps work towards multiballs and playfield multipliers.

I don't think there's really any reward for beating them all, is there? The heads could still be a bit less intrusive during certain video sequences.

Rob

#12120 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I'm gonna guess and say if Bond sells well, EHOH is bumped to Q4. If Bond sells poorly (and that could very well happen) then there's a small spot for EHOH. I wonder if it will be a "last call" run?

To be honest, I don't think Bond will sell that well. In markets like here in Canada, the LE is almost $20k and usual LE buyers have passed on this one.

My guess is that EHOH will have its last run, otherwise it would have been retired already. If Stern has some/most/all of the parts to build it, then it's just a matter of when. If they don't have parts, well maybe it doesn't happen after all. Shrugs..

Rob

#12162 1 year ago

I believe it initially sold poorly. Players weren't too thrilled by the layout being as it's essentially a Medieval Madness style fan layout. It released just before the pandemic, so people weren't able to go and try it themselves. The demand for new games was certainly lower in 2019 versus now. And for collectors, it is a more niche theme. The code was somewhat bare when it first came out and Stern has said that the game is difficult to manufacture and surprising expensive to make.

Yes, code was bare at the beginning and I didn't think it looked good either.

I really enjoy diving further into the haunts as opposed to just finishing them off quickly. While a few haunts are shorter, some are quite long too. More shots = more points and a bigger trailer trash value!

The garage multiballs got a bit better, but I still feel like there's just something missing with them. For example, once you make the super jackpot shot on Wild Women, there really isn't anything else to do. You cannot relight the center super jackpot and the subsequent 'super' jackpots aren't really super in value.

Finally, Gappa Angry is one of the best wizard modes ever!

Rob

#12167 1 year ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Did you say trailer trash?
[quoted image]

I don't think I've even been remotely close to that kind of monster trailer trash score, good job!

Rob

#12193 1 year ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Might be able to bend the top of the eject, otherwise you’ll need to reposition the scoop eject from under the pf.
Ball should never even get close to the outline. Should ideally hit center of targets. Playing with eject power in the service menu might help.

I would not advise bending anything. It's a common issue where the VUK bracket may need to be re-mounted. Read the key posts listed on the first page: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club

Rob

4 weeks later
#12522 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m more thinking if I’d rather have Elvira *or* Maiden.
Both outstanding, Elvira maybe a bit easier (?) that might be a plus because I’m not an expert player.
I have both on order but likely only can get one because of timing as well as my space issues. I’m going to play them both this weekend to try to make up my mind for sure.

Each game has it's strengths and weaknesses. EHOH is a more relaxed, satisfying shooter that doesn't punish you with difficult shots. It shoots like butter! IMDN is definitely more difficult.

If you ask me which game is more special, EHOH absolutely hands down. It's Lyman's last game and a testament to his brilliance. I was fortunate to beta test EHOH (and Metallica) and have a lot of correspondence with Lyman on his games. I think Stern could (should) still do another code update to at least clean a few things up on presentation and tweak a few other things without altering Lyman's vision of the game. Do it for the game owners and do it for Lyman's legacy.

Rob

#12536 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Okay. So I checked the settings.
The first Freak Fryer level is at 150 switch hits by default.
Each additional level increases by 25 switch hits. (175, 200, 225...)
I knew it couldn't be just 25 switches because that would be way too easy. LOL
[quoted image][quoted image]

I wish auto launched balls during multiball did a full orbit rather than being stopped to drop in the pops. I think it's cheesey that you can start a multiball and keep letting balls drain to advance the freak fryer so quickly.

Rob

#12610 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:Leapers: Are They Fragile?
I'm curious if the Leapers, mounted on long, delicate posts as they are, are at risk of being damaged just be pulling the playfield out to the service position. Has anyone here ever accidentally damaged a Leaper post by snagging it when servicing the underside of his/her playfield?

I'm more fragile than the leapers

Rob

2 weeks later
#12758 1 year ago
Quoted from BigT:

Does anyone know about “Pew Pew Pew”? I see it on the menu and am very curious about it. Do you think it will be included on an update?

This is what I know about 'pew pew pew'.

-----
Sent: October 22, 2020 8:36 AM
To: Rob Ganshorn
Subject: RE: stuff

Bleah I hit "SEND" instead of "SAVE".

Pew pew pew mode is a fast-scoring mode (similar to Iron Man fast scoring) where every switch scores 25K and the game says "PEW". It's pretty funny, makes me laugh.
I have it implemented but I don't know how or when I want the player to activate it.
The most logical place it to allow the player to activate it using the fire button, but I am currently using that for the RAY GUN.
Maybe after the player collects a ray gun and uses it, where they have no more ray guns, they could hit the fire button three times in a row and I could start it there.
Maybe the scoring is based on how many ray guns the player has used up so far.
-----

It was a frenzy mode, but Lyman never implemented it and he left Stern a few weeks after this email I received from him. I would really like to see them enable the mode for fans and as a small tribute to Lyman for finishing up his last game as he wanted.

Rob

#12760 1 year ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Lyman obviously had plans for more haunts as indicated by settings in the menu, but it's doubtful Stern would allocate resources to continue to work on the code. Anything is possible, however.

I think what's in the settings is probably just a rough in for planned haunts at some early time.

Rob

#12762 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That would be cool. I have heard that they shot Elvira footage for each of the movies on the backglass too. I'd love to see them put the extra modes into the game. It would probably be the very rare case that I'd even be willing to pay extra for that upgrade.

I don't think the game really needs extra modes, but it could certainly use some tweaks on what is in there.

Rob

1 week later
#12902 1 year ago

I came up with what I think is a good solution for those flakey ramp optos. First, it does help to slightly enlarge the holes to 1/4 inch which isn't much bigger than the factory hole size. More importantly, something needs to keep the opto from shifting position. My soution is to create a small shim that fits into the edge (red area) of the opto board and sticks to the ramp by double sided tape. It will keep the opto from moving any more and losing position.

I tried clear silicone, but that just didn't work.

Rob

elvira (resized).jpgelvira (resized).jpg

#12907 1 year ago

Ok I didn't have anything to make a shim, so I'm going to try this to keep the optos aligned.

I put a small piece of 2 sided foam tape on the metal bracket as shown. Maybe it will work or maybe not. Time will tell. At least the ramp removal is very easy! I might have to enlarge the holes a little bigger, but for now am leaving it at 1/4 inch.

Rob

20230211_160847 (resized).jpg20230211_160847 (resized).jpg

#12911 1 year ago

Ok I get it. If you look closely enough on these opto, they are flipping you the bird!

20230212_012515 (1) (resized).jpg20230212_012515 (1) (resized).jpg
#12918 1 year ago

I'd really like to know what 'add-a-zombie' multiball was supposed to mean.

0.93 code update:
- Added lights to the background lamp effect for ADD-A-ZOMBIE MULTIBALL to show that the GARAGE shot adds a zombie.

Adds a zombie to what? Where is this shown? How does it affect points?

The disappointing thing is after collecting the first super jackpot, WWMB and AAZMB both don't really have much else going on. Subsequent shots are called out as Supers, but it's just a base jackpot from 700k that keeps building higher.

Bugs or issues reported to Stern by me. I even told them I had beta tested the game. Nobody cared it seems.

- The ray gun during a haunt with multiball running appears to prioritize the left most available shot, whether it's a jackpot or haunt shot. The problem is that the ray gun can't be used to extend a haunt (highly desirable) if a jackpot is further left. The ray gun scores the jackpot first which is a waste.

- Please also consider making the haunt timer visible during multiball.

- The right outlane 'dead return' ball save activates and is wasted even if a timed ball save (start of WWMB for example) is currently running.

- If you start Gappa Angry by the back door sneak in, it releases the ball too quickly. It should hold onto the ball until the Gappa Angry intro is over.

- Mode/Haunt text has inconsistencies. For example, a haunt like Teenagers From Outer Space will not say 'shots', but instead say 'skeletons' to fit the theme of the haunt. A couple of modes or haunts may still use generic 'shots' text.

- Font justification after high score entry isn't centered

- Some fonts during bonus countdown are very small and difficult to read.

- Trailer Trash house ramp shots count towards qualification of the next haunt. I'm not sure that should happen.

- Trunk insert behavior during trunk multiball AND trying to fire the crypt cannon - there's no target insert pattern for timing the crypt cannon shot because all 3 inserts are flashing.

- Redundant speech on completing hand of fate after it's already been lit.

- Backdoor champion was going to be added. Would still be fun to see it in there.

- WWMB scoring after the super jackpot isn't very good, yet the subsequent jackpots are still referred to as super jackpots. What do added Zombies do in Add-A-Zombie MB? Scoring becomes basic after the super is collected, just like WWMB.

Rob

#12920 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

“Add-a-Zombie” is the 2nd garage multiball. You add a ball when hitting the garage

Testing glass off, that doesn't happen.

Rob

#12923 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Just from playing (and it's hard to keep track while playing), I was under the impression that once you collected all jackpots, a ball was added? Not necessarily from the garage shot? I do know I've noticed 4 balls in play at once, I'm just not sure how I'm doing it. I figured it was collecting all jackpots.

There are no balls added during add-a-zombie.

I finally figured out what add-a-zombie is doing. It is lighting an extra jackpot shot and you need to add all the extra zombies (jackpot shots) in order to qualify the super jackpot which is a roving super jackpot shot. You can't do it just by shooting jackpots alone like WWMB. The island volcano erupts when you collect the super and the orbits are lit for minor super jackpots which slowly increment.

There's no assistance text in the multiball. Bug, or maybe it's one of those things Lyman never got around to adding.

The initial super jackpots could probably score a bit better. And too bad the mode didn't reset (being a bit more difficult) rather than just going into a meaningless dead end. Even Attic goes into a dead end after collecting the 4 turret supers. The points just aren't there. Trailer Trash is WAY more lucrative for example. I think trailer trash should be counting down a few seconds after you start it, otherwise it's just way too easy points.

Rob

#12926 1 year ago

- The ray gun collects the most valuable shot in terms of points. It's up to you to know when to use it.

This isn't quite true. I was checking in the game settings and there's a bunch of settings for ray gun and what it can score. A lot of items like super jackpots and other valuable items are set to no by default. So by default, it's not necessarily going to score the most valuable item.

Mode/Haunt text has inconsistencies. For example, a haunt like Teenagers From Outer Space will not say 'shots', but instead say 'skeletons' to fit the theme of the haunt. A couple of modes or haunts may still use generic 'shots' text.
- That is theme integration. Some of the movie themes lent themselves to better naming than shots. Lyman preferred to name things in terms of the world versus pinball terms.

True. He was possibly going to change over the other texts, but just never had time.

Rob

1 week later
#13066 1 year ago

I sent a bug report to Stern because I hope they will fix "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" haunt. In the second phase of the haunt where the scientist has his arm stuck in the door, it's just repeating the first video clip for each shot instead of progressing through the clips.

Rob

#13145 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

4. The two people who are responsible for the game (Lyman and Nordman), left the company. They can't let a game be a giant hit when the people responsible for it are working for their competitors.

Greg Freres is still there at Stern. If anyone still cares about the game at Stern, it would be him.

Rob

#13296 1 year ago
Quoted from javagrind888:Both of those are really easy (or they were for me). Just loosen the screw under the plastic, pull the guide out all the way, then tighten it. For the scoop I just had to bend it down a bit with some heavy duty plyers.

Or just reduce the kickout power?

Rob

#13304 1 year ago
Quoted from ercvacation:

I am having a hard time hitting the backdoor skill shot on the plunge. I've hit it once I think on the plunge.
How are shots through the main ramp through the house supposed to act? I've had a few that seemed like rejects. They'd be clean shots but they'd come back out and down the ramp. It's not often but I'm trying to figure this out. Truthfully this game is ridiculously good. Loving it so far! Left ramp seems smooth.

I think the backdoor skillshot is maybe too easy now with the revised ball guides.

I'm not fond of the backdoor skill shot because it has no value. Starting a haunt early really isn't much of an award is it when doing it manually is still quite easy. Also, the backdoor advances any running haunt which is actually detrimental to points collection. I want to play the haunts, not skip through them (most of the time). These are the things which Lyman just never had time to tweak and polish. Backdoor Secret Passage (ala WhiteWater) was implemented late in game code.

If you are getting many rejects on shooting the house ramp, try lowering the flipper coil strength. I did that on my game.

Rob

#13362 1 year ago
Quoted from JKKeogh:

The length of the posts would indicate that, but I am not a fan of the sound it makes when they hit.
Totally in love with this machine.

I wasn't a fan of the sound either so I limited the travel on mine.

I put a zip tie around the shaft and then added heat shrink tubing to keep it in place.

#13380 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

I was going thru Elvira, just checking for loose screws, etc. I noticed the back of the crypt building was a little wobbly. Not much, but wanted see if it was easy to tighten something up. Checked the manual and there's a screw back at the back. Glancing at that area, seemed easy to get a screw driver to it without taking anything apart - good deal. Except there isn't a screw there, nor a bracket. Dimple was in the PF (circled in the photo, hard to see), but nothing was ever screwed into it.
Anyone else missing one?

I looked on my LE and it doesn't seem to have that either.

Rob

#13582 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

No way in Hell I'd trade my EHoH for Godfather. Not by a longshot.

I just don't see the appeal of that game. Decapitated horse head multiball anyone?

Rob

1 week later
#13844 1 year ago
Quoted from NOrbit:

My game showed up yesterday and all was good for a short time but now the back glass illumination led lights sometimes turn on and sometimes stay off. Also, all sound randomly cuts out while the game continues to play. The two issues do not seem to happen together or when I do anything specific. Anyone else experience these issues?

Talk to your distributor and have them contact Stern. It's possible you might have a faulty CPU board. You must go through your distributor for warranty.

Rob

#13864 1 year ago

Anyone have quick left orbit shots bounce into the back door instead of looping around like it should?

Rob

#13961 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Has anyone been able to fix their crypt kicker VUK without redrilling the bracket holes? Perhaps by bending the bracket or using washer to re-angle it or something less invasive? I'm not getting the issue of it coming out of the vuk like a dribble and going towards the left outlane.
Thanks!

I think I just did one of the holes and rotated the bracket slightly.

Rob

#13983 1 year ago
Quoted from FlopTube:

How’s everyone’s playfields holding up near vuk eject area? Mine is a crater fest. I’m sure they all look like that just sucks to see a new game take such a beating

Weird, because I look on my LE and I can't see a single dimple.... Maybe a small scuff in front of the middle stand up. I don't remember if I put mylar down, but I will now.

Picture taken with phone on glass and flash on

Rob
20230322_171146 (resized).jpg20230322_171146 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Trade
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

10,000 (Firm)
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

329 posts in this topic match your search for posts by Rob_G. You are on page 1 of 2.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider Rob_G.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=Rob_G and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.