IMG_0413 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items.

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #607 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Ramp hangup fix Posted by Reality_Studio (4 years ago)

Post #1849 Key posted, but no summary given Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2292 game dates and guide rails. Posted by SKWilson (4 years ago)

Post #2375 TECH: PLAYFIELD. Balls coming out of the house during mode start fix Posted by Wildbill327 (4 years ago)

Post #2423 All premiums have skill shot update Posted by BillyPilgrim (4 years ago)

Post #2518 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK low eject power/can't hit targets fix Posted by Pozzest01 (4 years ago)

Post #3427 Dialing in Elvira problem areas video Posted by jandrea95 (3 years ago)

Post #4077 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK Updated location with measurements. Posted by DeathHimself (3 years ago)

Post #4107 TECH: PLAYFIELD. VUK hole redrill locations picture to fix weak eject Posted by HurryUpPinball (3 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EaglePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6482 3 years ago

I've got my fingers and toes crossed that they do the next run. Of course price increases are always a bummer but I'm keeping my order for this great game.

3 months later
#8168 2 years ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Ive taken to the only thing I can do and emailing them once a week. They simply do not reply. Its not exactly a surprise but definitely eats into the feel-good factor in getting a game from them with the earnings of my blood sweat and tears. Not even a canned response. They are like a wall.. we are as gnats. Damnit. Wish the game wasnt as cool as it is or id have bailed on principle. Its that cool of a game though. Dangnabbit.

Quoted from CosmoConstant:

I’ve emailed them a couple of times as well. They never replied to me. I told them that my pre-order is paid in full and that I am a paying customer. I just asked them if I could get a date when they plan on making more Elvira machines. This is where I emailed them at both times…. https://sternpinball.com/support/contact-us/

My thoughts: Your NIB purchase is through your distributor. You're buying a Stern machine but you're the customer of your distributor. Stern updates them on production schedules and their allocations for production (how many of an upcoming production will be sent to that distributor), so the distributor is who should be giving you honest updates on the latest information they have from Stern. I know from my distributor what the latest update is from Stern to them and where I stand on my EHOH order with their allocation. It's not Stern's role to step in and give you information on this because they don't know where you are on your distributor's list and it wouldn't be good for them to be communicating directly someone else's (the distributor's) customer and possibly be accused of interfering in that relationship.

If your distributor isn't giving you good, honest information then that's the fault of the distributor and the problem lies there, not with Stern. Also, I'm surprised to hear a deposit had to be paid in full. If it were me and I wasn't getting good, reliable updates from my distributor and they had made me pay in full then I'd be looking for a new distributor for the next purchase. I haven't had to pay in full for a deposit on any of my 4 NIB purchases in the past few years. Remaining balance was due only when the game was about to ship (because the distributor hears from Stern how many they're getting and when they're getting them).

#8170 2 years ago
Quoted from Superpops1:

But it does seem like there is a stone wall from stern to the distributors. At this point everything is here say and no real reliable info.

From my experience Stern is providing very clear recent communication to my distributor which he has used to update me on my order. I’d be surprised if this isn’t the case with their communication to all distributors. Wouldn’t make any sense at all for them to stone wall their distributors on order status. Things can always change in a production schedule but there is communication.

#8203 2 years ago
Quoted from FlaMike:

[quoted image]

Nice picture of Elvira's box! Or is it a fake pic like the moon landings and round earth... just kidding! Open 'er up and let us know how it flips!!!

2 weeks later
#8525 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Does anyone know it is possible to get a hold of anyone with Stern's tech support live? Due to my ongoing flipper issue, I need to talk with Stern but when I called, it said they are doing everything over email.
I've emailed but not sure how long it will be until I can expect to hear from them. Pretty frustrated to have a brand new game that is basically unplayable and not be able to talk with anyone live.

Any time I've needed support I've sent an e-mail to my distributor who then forwards it on to Stern and they've been really responsive.

#8527 2 years ago

Is there an updated rules sheet anywhere? I looked at the one on Tiltforums but it doesn't seem to be updated in a lot of areas.

Also, I've browsed through the forum and picture gallery to see if there are any alternate shooter rods on the market other than the Stern clown and the Modfather Elvira head but I didn't see any. Anyone have ideas besides those two for a shooter rod that goes well with the game?

#8531 2 years ago
Quoted from Utesichiban:

Thanks. Sadly my distributor is MIA right now as well. These things cost $8k + is this is how we're treated? Pathetic.

Bummer. Hope your distributor surfaces soon to give you some help. They should be a reliable point of contact for stuff like this. Hope you can get it resolved soon.

#8545 2 years ago

Anyone have advice on audio settings for the stock speakers in the premium (frequency & gain settings, etc.)? Default settings sound good out of the box (to me) but just wondering if anyone has ideas on changes to the default settings that also sound good.

#8585 2 years ago
Quoted from Muymanwell:

anyone happen to know the screw size for the small black screws that attach the roof to the crypt?

Game manual Pg 55 says "Screw, 4-40 x 3/8" PTH MS - Black"

#8595 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m thinking about getting one when they make some later in the year. How much tinkering or fixing should I expect to do? Do you expect the late builds will built with any running fixes?
I’ve been reading the rules there’s quite a lot of modes as well as so many multiballs. I can’t think of any other game with as many different MB modes.
I had an Elvira on loan for a week around 1 year ago was able to play a lot but didn’t complete too many modes and was just scratching the surface.

There's always going to be some tinkering/adjusting to do, but mine delivered a couple weeks ago has been solid and seems to have the main fixes from previous runs in place. The crypt shoots consistently (prior to putting the gargoyle mod on the kick out opening - I need to bend the kickout flap just slightly now so the ball doesn't make contact with the mod on the way out), the trunk lock & ramp haven't had any issues, and the attachment point for the left orbit exit screw is an open horseshoe so the end of the guide can be adjusted easily instead of just having a hole for the screw.

I adjusted the end of that left orbit guide out so the ball doesn't touch the sling when exiting the orbit, and other than that the only tinkering I've had to do so far was on the post that holds the ball behind the backboard. The post was binding a bit against the hole it goes through so it was sometimes getting hung up and balls weren't getting held properly when a haunt started. Very easy fix though to just add a couple washers to the screws holding the post coil to the backboard so it doesn't rub against the edge of that hole anymore and now it's working great.

Only thing I might check on is to see if there's a way to change the aim of the ball kicking out from the cellar just a slight bit. Right now it's going near the tip of my right flipper. It's fine 95% of the time but a few times it's sent it SDTM. I'd like it to hit a slight bit more toward the center of the flipper to try to control it a bit easier on the kickout and prevent any SDTM. I keyword searched this forum but didn't see anything on adjusting the aim of that kickout. My pitch is at 6.9 and it's level left to right both at the flippers and by the house. It's not a big issue so far at all though, just more of an "if I have time I'll look into it" type of thing.

Edit: I forgot about the shooter lane. That's the main adjustment I want to make on mine. The ball seems to drift slightly left as it goes up the metal shooter lane after it passes the forks, so it hits the inner guide on the orbit and doesn't go around very cleanly. When I adjust it by prying the left side up to prevent the drift it works for a game or two but then goes back out of alignment. There doesn't seem to be a good way to get that metal shooter lane ramp out to put some support under it to counter the lean without taking the whole orbit ball guide out. On AIQ there was a big opening under that part so I was able to wedge something under it, but there doesn't seem to be a similar opening underneath it on Elvira.

#8617 2 years ago
Quoted from Scorpius:

but I am having some difficulty with the ball rolling back out the front of the house.
Assuming it's bouncing off the back of the subway behind the playfied and coming back out as a softer shot sticks no problem. Any adjustment for that or when the game slows a little bit does it resolve?

Ball was rolling out the front of my house a fair amount also. When the ball was rolling out of the house I’d noticed I wasn’t hearing the same sound of the post as when the ball did get held correctly.

I checked the post in the subway behind the backboard by quickly raising it up repeatedly by hand and noticed it wasn’t smoothly raising. There was a bit of resistance because the post was resting against the edge of hole it goes through. Put two and two together and figured the post was hanging up on the edge of the hole so the ball wasn’t being held in.

I put washers behind the bracket that hold the post coil to move the post away from the edge it was catching on. It’s worked way more reliably ever since. There are still a few shots that come back out but those have generally been weak shots that probably just didn’t make it to get locked. Went from about 50% holds to over 90%. Here’s a pic of where I put the washers. One behind each screw for the coil.

C2940091-FBAF-4EF1-9F49-093B7D0A6909 (resized).jpegC2940091-FBAF-4EF1-9F49-093B7D0A6909 (resized).jpeg

#8619 2 years ago
Quoted from JackOfPots:

Can you give me more information on this and how you fixed it? Maybe a picture of what you did ? I have those exact two issues. Left orbit sending the ball into the left sling (I've fixed this) and the ball not being held properly when a haunt starts.

There really isn't too much more I can show or describe. It was a pretty straightforward job. When I looked at the post that holds the ball behind the backboard I saw it was very close to the opto bracket that's right by the post and thought that could be causing the resistance I was feeling when I used my finger to pull the post up several times in a row quickly. But then as I looked closer it seemed like the post was more against the edge of the hole on the side closest to the backboard, so I decided to try using washers behind the coil bracket to move everything away from the backboard and more toward the center of the hole.

In the picture in my post I circled both screws. You can see part of the washer behind the bracket and the top screw. I took one screw out and used a magnet to slide a washer in behind the bracket while I replaced the screw. Then I repeated that for the other screw. By doing one screw at a time I didn't have to deal with the coil dangling from having both screws out.

I'm sure there could be different reasons for balls not being held in the house. This was what was going on with mine and it's made a big difference in how frequently the ball is held for me so I thought I'd share the info. It's definitely worth checking first both visually to see if the post seems to be up against an edge and by feeling how the post moves before doing it though, because it could be some other reason the ball is coming out of the house on yours. At worst though it's a pretty quick job to add the washers to see if it helps.

And, again, the sound on mine was a bit of a giveaway also. I'm now hearing a much more consistent thunk sound from the post when I'm playing and a ball gets held in the house. Hope this helps on yours.

1 week later
#8914 2 years ago
Quoted from Scorpius:

You can see the post if you look in past the far left bumper.

^^^ I vote for this. Setup to start a haunt should have the diverter (metal plate) behind the house raised to allow the ball into the subway and the post in the subway extended down. You can check what's going on in switch test or just take the glass off and start a game while standing to the side of the machine so you can watch the exit of the subway behind the pops. Then use your hand to roll the ball through the house to start the first haunt while watching the subway exit and see what happens with the ball coming through. The post should be down and the ball should be blocked by it until the haunt intro video clip is done. Then the post coil should fire to raise the post to let the ball go into the pops. If that's not happening then I'd check the things Scorpius mentioned to try to resolve it.

#8972 2 years ago
Quoted from tdawgmd:

where do you get a leaf adjustment tool? and I will echo others when I say that a machine over 10k shouldn't require me to buy special tools just to get it to work properly.

You're not required to buy the special tool, but it makes this particular job easier to do and if you're considering owing more or different games in the future it's a tool that comes in handy for not just this but sometimes other things also. But the adjustment can certainly be made without it if you don't want to buy the tool. Adjusting a leaf switch isn't much different in concept than tuning a bike out of the box. Pretty routine and common thing to dial/tune in.

Quoted from tdawgmd:

my other issue is the left opto doesn't pick up balls at game speed. When testing the switch by rolling the balls up the left ramp, it sees it and registers, but when the ball is really moving during a game it won't get it. I'm sure it's misaligned, but what next step should I try?

What pitch and right flipper power are you using? At high speed the ball could be catching air at the ramp entrance and hopping over the opto a bit so the beam isn't broken. Have you tried lowering flipper power and/or adjusting the pitch of your playfield?

#8987 2 years ago
Quoted from Kronnix:

Seems my tunnel opto is constantly getting bumped out of alignment by the tunnel solenoid which is making constant contact with the top opto board on the bracket. I've asked Stern for recommendations but figured I'd run it by the group here to see if anyone else has had this issue and what they did to resolve it. Thanks![quoted image]

One idea to try: If you need the post to be moved a little bit away from the opto bracket toward the center of the hole in the subway you could drill the screw hole openings a bit wider on the metal bracket that holds the post coil to the backboard (widen the two screw holes of the metal coil bracket, not the holes in the backboard itself). You would probably only need to use a drill bit just slightly bigger than the current screw hole size to widen them. Then that should give you the ability to shift the coil bracket (and therefore the post also) a little further away from the opto bracket when you re-mount it to the backboard.

Other options would be to try using washers behind the opto bracket and/or the post coil bracket to try to shim the post away from the opto bracket and/or shim the opto bracket slightly away from the post (if it can be done without throwing off the opto beam).

#9071 2 years ago
Quoted from jandrea95:

How do you get a post stickied ? Just my opinion, but this post helped me with a year long problem. No more house ramp rejects.

Someone with moderator rights on Pinside needs to mark it as a key post.

#9072 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

So what does Super Head Shot do besides lighting an extra ball (I think)?
Rob

It's one of the things you have to do in order to sell the house (Wild Market Value):

Quoted from SKWilson:

Added WILD MARKET VALUE rule:
- Start in the CELLAR after performing the following tasks:
a) Start DIRECTOR'S CUT.
b) Banish CLOWN deadhead (SUPER HEAD SHOT).
c) Start PHONE-A-FIEND multiball.
d) Start GAPPA ANGRY.
e) Start GAR-GOILS GONE WILD.
f) Start ATTIC ATTACK multiball.
g) Start THEY CAME FROM SPACE.
- Shoot WILD MARKET VALUE target for hurry-up value and sell the
house.
- The MARKET VALUE of the HOUSE is built up over the course of the
game by hitting the WILD MARKET VALUE standup target. The value of
the target is 100K * the number of tasks completed; this value is
added to the MARKET VALUE of the HOUSE each time the target is hit.

#9085 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Yeah, game is new for me and I found myself doing that nudge too. In fact I’m nudging all the time on this game! I know it’s considered kind of an easy shooter but so far I’ve found it to be pretty drainy compared to Maiden, JP2, etc. I don’t like to alter the game too much to make it easier. Ideally I try to play better! Is there an ideal pitch for EHoH? I’m at 6.8 degrees. Still trying to dial in my right ramp and orbit shots. I’ve been bricking those a bit and get SDTM or outlane drains all the time when I miss.

I've ended up near your pitch also. I started at 6.5 and kept raising until I was happy with it. I'm at 6.9 with flipper power at 255 on the left and 241 on the right. All targets and shots got pretty well dialed in for me there with most of the floaty play of a lower pitch gone.

#9122 2 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

Ok Hate to be "That guy" but I did scan through ALL of the posts in this thread and did not see a definitive solution so hoping for some direction/link/or guidance. LOVE this game but half the time the ball goes into the crypt (right side center) and does not come out? Heavy shaking can sometimes set her free. Ball does not roll down trough and hard to see where it is getting hung up? Any advice to make this game play great would be Greatly appreciated.
Could it be something as simple as game pitch?? I am at about 6.7 degrees roughly.

I wouldn’t think it’s an issue with pitch. I’ve had mine from 6.5 to 6.9 and it’s been fine.

See my pic below. This is how it’s set up under the playfield with the crypt door closed. I think the black “scoop” raises when the crypt is open so that the bottom of the scoop feeds the ball to the clear plastic subway.

Maybe yours is a bit out of alignment and when yours raises the bottom of the scoop is too high or too low and the ball gets hung up against the playfield (scoop too high) or the lip of the subway (scoop too low)? Unfortunately I don’t know how to align the mech if it needs it but might be a place to start troubleshooting?

11FAFBB2-67EB-4450-8862-F21BF57328E0 (resized).jpeg11FAFBB2-67EB-4450-8862-F21BF57328E0 (resized).jpeg
#9133 2 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Mine doesn’t go to the outlane. It actually falls short of the targets and also doesn’t come near the outlane. It’s weak when it shoots out of the VUK. It worked fine before and also would go to the outlane.

Do you have the gargoyle mod on? If so, have you tried taking slow motion video of the ball coming out to see if it's coming out cleanly? I know on mine I'm still dialing in the bend of the VUK deflector a bit because sometimes it comes out perfectly clean and sometimes it still just barely clips the gargoyle mod, but that's all it takes to cause the ball to go short of the targets. Also, if you take the gargoyle off does it work properly? If so, then slow motion video with the mod on should show you what's going on with it.

#9153 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

Center Ramp Inside House Reject Issue,
advise please.
My EHOH is at a friend’s who took delivery for me due to my current health issues.
And I’m unable to travel.
It’s being reported that shots going up the center ramp into the house come back out down the ramp,
and they think the ball is “hitting a switch” incorrectly, which is out of whack inside the house.
Does this make any sense?
I’m trying to get more specific details from them.
Advise appreciated for now.
Thanks!
BobC

Sorry to hear about your health and machine issues. Hope both can get cleared up for you soon. The balls rolling back down the ramp at the start of a haunt seems to be a standard issue. Here's how the ball hold for the start of a haunt works:
1) Haunt is qualified (3 shots through the house or backdoor skill shot) and the diverter (metal plate) behind the house lifts to allow the ball to go into the subway behind the backboard.
2) With a haunt qualified, a shot through the house is supposed to go into the subway and stay there, held in from going out the other side of the subway by a post. After video clips play the haunt starts with the post raising up to release the ball into the pops. There is an opto inside the subway just in front of the post to tell the machine there's a ball waiting there. The only mechs in the subway are that opto and the post that keeps the ball from going immediately out the exit and into the pops.

The shot through the house seems to come back down the ramp for a couple possible reasons:
1) The ball catches a bit of air off the ramp into the house and doesn't make it into the subway entrance.
2) The ball goes into the subway entrance but hits hard off the back wall of the subway or hard off the post in the subway and bounces back out the subway entrance.
3) The shot is a bit weak and doesn't make it to the subway

A change in pitch may help #1 (ball catching air off the house entrance ramp). #2 (bouncing back out of the subway) is definitely helped by adding some padding to the inside of the subway where the ball first hits the subway wall after going through the house. Scorpius showed adding velcro in this post:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/175#post-6325790

Taking the subway off to put the velcro/padding in isn't too bad. It's all done behind the backboard. You need to:
1) Remove the coil and post that goes into the subway from behind the backboard. First unplug the coil (I recommend using a sharpie to mark each side of the connectors so you remember which plugs go back together).
2) Remove the opto bracket from around the subway (First unplug the opto cables).
3) Remove the subway, add the velcro (2 or 3 layers for enough cushion) inside the entrance as in Scorpius post, then screw the subway back in.
4) Replace the opto bracket and plug it in. After you screw the bracket in a bit turn the game on and go into switch test mode. Use switch test to confirm you have the opto aligned properly and then screw it in tight while holding it aligned properly. If you don't use switch test to guide you on this it's can be very difficult to get the opto lined up correctly.
5) Replace the coil + post and plug them back in.

I did this on my machine and it reduced the amount of balls rolling back out a lot. It's not going to be 100% because some shots just won't be able to be held, but the ones that should be held are now being held. Hope this helps. Good luck.

#9192 2 years ago

Completely unimportant question but I'm just curious. I've noticed occasionally my final score will end in "5" instead of "0". I'm on free play at home so it's not a big deal not getting a match at the end of a game but just wondering if anyone knows where the "5" comes from in scoring?

#9202 2 years ago
Quoted from pinchamp:

#2. A hard direct hit on the drop target results in it binding and not going down. A bank shot never does it but a direct shot does it often. Suggestions?

I was just about to post this same question. I've had the same thing with the garage target on mine. Sometimes a hard dead on shot won't drop it, but any other shot will. Even a softer dead on shot. I also had it be in the up position once during Gappa Angry when trying to shoot the garage lock. I searched the forum and didn't find anything on it, but I haven't taken the time yet to look into the target itself on the machine.

2 weeks later
#9339 2 years ago
Quoted from MarklarD:

It seems like over time my Elvira plunge has gotten less reliable. When I plunge, I get a little rattle right when the ball nears the pop bumpers and then continues along its way. It makes it hard to hit the skill shot based off of muscle memory and becomes more about luck and how much it bounces around....
Im gonna open it up to see if I can figure out what does it tonight. Anyone have any ideas? Would that be a guide rail adjustment or a shooter rod adjustment?
I dont think ive ever adjusted a guide rail, if thats a thing.

Mine was really clunky when I first got it. The ball started out straight past the metal forks in the shooter lane, but then it was slightly veering left as it ran across the metal "ramp" of the shooter lane before dropping into the orbit. So it was hitting the inner orbit ball guide to the left of the crypt and rattling, usually not making it to the pops. That metal shooter lane ramp is way too springy and has no support underneath it.

I took the right ramp off and removed the metal shooter lane ramp, and I put something under the left side of that metal ramp about half way up it in order to prop it up so it wouldn't tilt left and so it wasn't so springy. Now the auto launch fires it pretty reliably up the lane and I can manage my manual plunge by how I grip the plunger. There must be just a slight bit of wiggle in my manual plunger that still can make a bit of difference between a clean shot or rattling a little bit. I had to do the same thing on my AIQ to prop that metal shooter ramp up and correct a slight left lean that it had also.

1 week later
#9353 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

I just received my new in box Elvira House of Horrors last weekend only to find that there are multiple problems with the game play. I was hoping someone could provide information comparing what switches are shown active at the point when one has turned the game on and gone directly to the active switch test in the diagnostics menu. I was surprised to find that my game is showing 14 active switches including some that make sense and others that make me wonder...Here is my list:
- trough switches 1 to 6
- right flipper EOS
- left flipper EOS
- Turret Opto 4
- House target left
- House diverter motor up
- Crypt motor 1
- Crypt motor 2
- House ramp motor up
Would be great if someone with a fully working game could compare my list to theirs and let me know switches that are active on my list, but not active as you turn the game on and do the diagnostic active switch test. Would also be interested in switches that your game shows as active that are not active per my list.
Just to clarify, I tested and all of the solenoids are responding in diagnostic test mode, so that is why I am focusing on switches.
Thanks, in advance, for your help.

I turned my machine on and went straight into active switch test. Here's a list of the switch numbers that showed in my active switch test:
11, 5, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 49, 77, 78, 52, 38, 60

Not sure if my switch 5 (right return lane) & 38 (drop target opto) are supposed to be active. The others seem to track your list pretty well.

What are some examples of your game play issues? Might not be an active switch issue.

#9354 2 years ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I turned my machine on and went straight into active switch test. Here's a list of the switch numbers that showed in my active switch test:
11, 5, 12, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 49, 77, 78, 52, 38, 60
Not sure if my switch 5 (right return lane) & 38 (drop target opto) are supposed to be active. The others seem to track your list pretty well.

What are some examples of your game play issues? Might not be an active switch issue.

#9357 2 years ago
Quoted from iluvak9:

One of my issues is the left of ramp gargoyle target not registering. This is a switch that shows up as active on my list that is not on yours so looks like that is a switch issue in that it is probably stuck on and needs to be adjusted or is miswired or a bad switch.
Another issue I have is that anytime I make the cellar shot into the house (when the ramp is up) the ball never exits the back of the house and the ball search cannot find it. The ball exits the house and is diverted correctly when the ramp is down, but always gets stuck when it is up. Makes the game pretty frustrating since it means one can’t finish a house mode. Sometimes it is released after I turn the game off and back on. Sometimes it is not found until I give the game a vigorous shakedown. So, it sounds like the ball is getting stuck somewhere inside the house and I will have to remove the house so I can see what is happening. I remember seeing something about having to adjust a ball guide or something like that as a common problem with the cellar shot.
I have other issues with things like the balls hitting the edge of the trunk after being released from the garage lock, the plunger shot being slowed too much as it approaches the top lanes, the vuk sending the ball just to the right of the targets instead of hitting one, the ball traveling the outside loop ending up feeding the left sling rather than the flipper, but many of these may just require me to play around with how the game is leveled.
Also have an issue where the plastic piece that holds the backglass in place rattles constantly during game play, even when the unit is locked.
Those are the main things so far, but due to the cellar shot issue, I haven’t had much opportunity to explore the game enough to be sure those will be all the problems I encounter.

Sounds like a bit of a to-do list for tweaks and adjustments. As an update on mine, switch 5 (right return lane) shouldn't have been on for my machine but I slightly adjusted the leaf switch under the playfield and now it's working correctly. On yours, I'd suggest hitting start and rolling the ball by hand through the house to see where it might be getting hung up and then go from there. Hopefully the other issues just take a bit of minor adjustment to work out, like the end of the left orbit ball guide and the deflector on the VUK. For the plunge not reaching the pops, I took slow motion video of mine and it showed me that my ball was veering left a bit before it went into the orbit, so I adjusted that metal shooter lane ramp to keep the ball more to the right and go cleaner into the orbit.

1 week later
#9429 2 years ago
Quoted from Leeb18509:

My crypt VUK is pathetic, it either shoots the ball down the left outlane or it dribbles out. Never even close to the 34-26-34 targets. Power is set to 255 (max). Any ideas?

Use slo motion video to see how it's coming out. Might need to adjust the deflector a bit.

2 weeks later
#9497 2 years ago

The screw connecting my trunk lid to the plunger fell out on mine. I see where it needs to go to connect it back in and I found the screw, nut, and spacer in the bottom of the cabinet. Question is what's the best way to get at it to reattach it. Can it be done pretty easily by only removing the crate lid, or just taking off a side of the crate, or taking off both the lid and a side, etc?

#9530 2 years ago
Quoted from Tarzanboy:

Hi There.
Was hoping to get some advise?.
I received an Elvira House Of Horrors yesterday (new in box) after waiting for nearly 1 year on order.
After playing 3-4 games we started to notice that the scoring was random when the ball hits the pops area just behind the deadhead crypt.
We were getting 10-20 million points every time the ball went there.
Is this a common fault that can be easily fixed?.
Any advise is very much appreciated
[quoted image]

I'm assuming when you say you're getting 10-20 million points you mean that is the total points you've scored when the ball leaves the pops. In other words, it sounds like you're not getting 10-20 million points off each hit to the pops (which would mean when the ball leaves the pops you would have scored 50 to 100M points total in the pops on 5 hits). Is that correct?

As others said, it's most likely that the vibration from the ball being in the pops is causing a switch to register when it shouldn't. The right ramp opto is a good guess because there is a history of it being a bit off on some machines. If you go into switch test in the service menu and use your hand to bang on the playfield a bit (try it in different areas of the playfield) then you might be able to recreate the issue so that the switch registers when you hit the playfield. That way you might be able to find out for sure which switch is sensitive to vibrations. That's how I'd start in trying to find what the problem is.

Edit- one other idea would be to take the glass off and play. Then when the issue starts happening use your hand to put it back in the pops and watch the LCD screen. I’d think the screen might say what shot is awarding the points. A switch related to that shot then would likely be the problem. Just another idea on how to try to figure out what’s causing it.

3 weeks later
#9608 2 years ago
Quoted from javagrind888:

Does anyone else get flipper fade with this game? As party nights go on for the 5th-6th hour you can't backhand the left ramp anymore.

I've noticed it get a bit more difficult to backhand the left ramp after about an hour of playing on mine. At that point it's still makable but it's definitely more difficult. I haven't played for much more than 90 minutes straight on it though.

On my AIQ I was finding a lot of shots difficult to make after an hour or so of playing so I got the PinMonk flipper cooling fans and that took care of the issue. I'm probably not going to get the fans on Elvira because most shots are still fine after an hour to an hour and a half for me and that's about as long as I play it in any one stretch, but if you're going to be playing for longer times like you mentioned then the flipper cooling fans might not be a bad idea.

#9626 2 years ago
Quoted from Concretehardt:

I am saving up to buy a premium next year when they run them again, would love to get some opinions for must have mods for this game?

In addition to the ones already mentioned, I've also been really happy with this one:

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1195-rgp-models/02920-anti-airball-ramp-deflector-for-elvira-house-of-horrors

Once in awhile on mine balls coming fast down the left return were hitting the end and hopping over it. This keeps them from hopping over the end of the return and was a really easy installation.

2 weeks later
#9752 2 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Wondering if anyone might have some insight on this: The trough is occasionally kicking out 2 balls at once in to the shooter lane. Doesn’t seem to me like the trough power is up too high as sometimes it barely kicks out the ball enough(not often but sometimes.) I guess I can try lowering the kick out strength but curious if it could be something else? Thx for any help!

I'd start checking this by testing the switch in the shooter lane. If the shooter lane switch doesn't register when a ball comes out then the game thinks there isn't a ball in the shooter lane and it will kick out another one. If you test it and the switch is not registering, then you'll need to adjust the metal arm of the switch so that when a ball pushes the arm down it will activate the microswitch under the playfield to register the switch.

1 month later
#10165 2 years ago
Quoted from BobC:

3. Air balls off the left ramp when it hits near the inlane hole. I'm guessing fast balls don't follow the dip at the close end of the ramp (I'm not sure I have the machine levels correct... I'll have to wait for assistance due to my physical delema)

For #3, I had balls going off the end of the ramp return also. I got this mod and it’s been great.

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/shops/1195-rgp-models/02920-anti-airball-ramp-deflector-for-elvira-house-of-horrors

3 weeks later
#10316 2 years ago
Quoted from explosiveegg:

Just had a game end with a score that is not divisible by 10. I didn't think that was possible. Anyone know what scores 5 points?
[quoted image]

I've had it happen too. Haven't been able to figure out what does it though.

#10335 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

What version of code?
Rob

I'm on 1.02

#10372 2 years ago

Looks like Santa was running a bit ahead of schedule last night and had time for a game. Didn’t make the leaderboard but looks like he had a pretty good multiball

B5038190-8687-4F09-AD15-425ADEBBB9E9 (resized).jpegB5038190-8687-4F09-AD15-425ADEBBB9E9 (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#10520 2 years ago
Quoted from Ruenin:

Would I be wrong then in assuming that there will now be a Lyman Sheats special edition run of Elvira HOH that will cost $35K?

Even with all the crappy stuff that often gets posted by people in various forums I almost never give a downvote. But I've downvoted this one. That's how insensitive, miserable, and just plain dark & ugly this post is.

Edit - Adding here the quote from the post made by @ruenin: "Would I be wrong then in assuming that there will now be a Lyman Sheats special edition run of Elvira HOH that will cost $35K?"

#10553 2 years ago
Quoted from orangestorm87:

So what are the ways to get more than a 3 ball multiball going?

House Party, Gappa, and They Came from Space are more than 3 (Gappa if you get enough locks before draining).

#10556 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

There is a quick callout in the game, kind of hillbilly sounding and I don't know what it says. Does anyone know what I am talking about?
Rob

Yep I think I know the one you’re talking about and I haven’t been able to figure out what it’s saying either. I think it sometimes happens at the end of Unhappy Hour or Drive Me Crazy.

2 weeks later
#10683 2 years ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Not that I am aware of. There will be another update in the near future because they have to fix the trailer trash scoring bug. I'm sure all games will get more updates as Insider Connected features grow.
I'd like to see them put in 'pew pew pew' mode also. It was one of the last features Lyman programmed in the game, but he wasn't sure how it would start. He said it made him laugh... We all need that.
Rob

Maybe a mode could start with a certain number of rips to the spinner. Would be fun to have that spinner factor in a bit more.

2 weeks later
#10768 2 years ago
Quoted from CosmoConstant:

Does anybody else get the ball stuck in the upper right hand corner of the machine? I just have to let the machine do it’s thing and shake the ball out. It starts to get old after a while.

Can you try or have you tried putting a cabinet dot in the spot to keep the ball from getting stuck there?

1 month later
#10910 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

Well I got the opto to register in switch mode when it is not installed in the game but when I put it in the game I cant get it to work. When I turn the game on the post in the black subway that lets the ball drop to the pop bumpers keeps firing until I get a game error.,

This happens if you don't have the opto aligned correctly. When reinstalling that opto, after you screw the bracket in a little bit turn the game on and go into switch test mode. Use switch test to confirm you have the opto aligned properly and then screw it in tight while holding it aligned properly. If you don't use switch test to guide you on this it can be very difficult to get the opto lined up correctly. Otherwise you'll spend a lot of time screwing it on, firing up the game, realizing it's not aligned correctly, adjusting it, firing up the game, realizing it's not aligned correctly... and on and on until it's correct.

Screwing the opto bracket in with switch test on gets it done pretty quickly in one try.

#10917 2 years ago
Quoted from marksf123:

I hope I fixed my issue with the house lock opto. The red bulb opto led was broken at the board. I resoldered the crack joint and it started working again. I use your method to get it aligned and all seems to be working now.
The next step is getting the Gargoyles to jump higher. Is the jumping of the Gargoyles just from the force of the ball or is it mechanical in some way? The switches work for all the gargoyles.

I don't think the gargoyles are mechanical. I haven't looked into them myself before. Here's a post from Rdoyle1978 with some advice on how to make them jump:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/91#post-5796926

2 weeks later
#10982 2 years ago
Quoted from kidAtHeart:

Anybody experienced "Operator Error Garage Lockup Device Malfunction"
At boot, garage solenoid kicks about 15 times and displays above error. Game generally plays ok.
Solenoid works, removed tombstone assembly, it seems fine. (it works during game). Wiring and connectors seem to that area seem fine, not broken or pinched.
Software update, no issue. Pin is probably two years old.
Any info/help appreciated.

That type of error often means the opto that triggers the coil is registering when it shouldn’t, causing the coil to fire. Could be registering because it’s gone out of alignment or if there’s an issue with the opto.

#10991 2 years ago
Quoted from kidAtHeart:

I think that's a good call. It probably "thinks" there's a ball in there at boot and is trying to release it. I'll check the alignment and voltages.
from part 520-8042-00 and connectors that may be loose.
Thank you

You can try using switch test to confirm what the opto is doing also. If the opto switch is active when it shouldn't be then the opto is saying there's a ball there when there isn't one. Also, if there isn't a problem with the opto itself and it's just a re-alignment issue then you can use switch test as you re-align it to make sure it's dialed in correctly. If the coil is repeatedly firing as you're trying to dial in the opto you can probably just unplug the coil and then plug it back in once you have switch test registering the opto correctly.

2 weeks later
#11016 1 year ago
Quoted from Jamwin:

okay, thanks for the insight. for clarification, before i start looking under the hood, you said there could be several things wrong. Is it all related to the positioning of the mech or is there something in addition to that? trying to not sift through 220 pages in the forum. thanks again.

One simple place to try first might be with making a slight adjustment to the VUK deflector/hood to see if that improves your results. I'd try bending the tip end of it up just slightly. If that doesn't address your issue then move to other possibly more involved troubleshooting possibilities. Starting by taking slow motion video to see how the ball is coming out is usually a pretty good idea to try to diagnose the issue though.

2 months later
#11315 1 year ago
Quoted from murfe88:

Hey guys new to the Elvira Club. Got it last Thursday. I am having an issue with the exit house up/down post. When I turn on the machine that coil fires 15 times. Then when I start a game and shoot up the ramp into the house that exit post is down then after a couple seconds the machines goes into a ball search then releases the ball when the coil fires. I am getting an error on the display that say House lockup DEVICE MALFUNCTION. Anyone have this issue ? I tested the opto exiting the house and it seems to work fine. When I go into the coil test that exit post coil fires fine. Any ideas ?
[quoted image]

If your post in the subway behind the house is firing rapidly then the opto for it has likely gone a bit out of alignment. If you put the machine in switch test mode while you adjust the alignment of the opto it makes getting it lined up correctly a lot easier. Keep adjusting and tightening it until it’s not registering in switch test.

2 weeks later
#11381 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

Hi Gang,
Just joined the club w/a Prem a few days ago - what a blast. I noticed the ramp into the haunted house isn't sitting flush. I tried to search the thread to see if anyone had this problem - no luck. Apologies if I missed it, I just searched for it and all I saw was the white washer on the right ramp issue (I have the washer). Anyone else have this happen?
I'll dig into the manual and see how things are put together before grabbing some tools.
Thanks ahead of time.
[quoted image]

Really easy to bend it back into shape. I use one screwdriver to pry the ramp up a little and hold it up, and while holding it up with that screwdriver situated under the point where I want to bend it I use something else to bend it back down from the top. Creates a good leverage spot to bend it right at the spot where you want it to.

#11383 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

So I'm slightly bending the ramp itself or just the thin metal at the front?

Just the thin metal of the ramp flap at the front

And if you have a leaf switch adjusting tool it can be used pretty well for this also. Just put the ramp flap in the slot of the tool and use it to gently bend where you want to

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

3 weeks later
#11486 1 year ago
Quoted from Sethman:

Take slow motion video of the ball heading up the shooter lane. I’ll bet it’s veering left and grazing the spot where the led metal guide and the plastic meet. It’s not a smooth continuous piece on the left of shooter lane. It would hit that junction and lose a ton of momentum plus then not travel in a direct path.
At least for me, I bought the plastic shooter lane protector which kept the ball centered going up the lane and allowed for a better plunge.

This ^^^^ Take slow motion video to see where the ball is going off course and then make an adjustment to correct it.

3 weeks later
#11641 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

While I never did the black tape hack myself on my JP, I always assumed it just cut down on reflections (i.e. less sporadic opto triggering ).

Yep, and like any pinball fix it might not be what'll work as a solution for every case but it's definitely worked for me on both my JP orbit and POTC inner orbit.

1 week later
#11686 1 year ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Hope you get yours! I'm still on the fence, I like the game but I wish the final wizard mode was a bit more substantial.

It’s just a different order of how things are arranged. The end goal is to sell the house and that final task is a hurry up at the target that determines your sale price. I think that works well for the theme of the game.

They Came From Space, Director’s Cut, and Gappa Angry are all very fun wizard modes. The fact that one of those modes isn’t at the end of the game doesn’t change how fun and challenging (with great risk/reward opportunities in modes) the code in this game is.

1 week later
#11784 1 year ago

Werewolf of Washington is on Comet network and I just watched about 1/2 hr of it. Hadn’t seen any of it before. So bad it’s hilarious. I might have to start watching some of the other movies in the game that I haven’t seen before.

2 weeks later
#11890 1 year ago
Quoted from darkryder:

I finally got around to installing the full cliffy protectors on my Elvira LE. I installed the drop target protector incorrectly, so I’ll open the game up and fix the orientation this week.
Couple of questions for you EHOH experts. Is there any way to fix that gap at the Deadheads entrance? It has light bleeding through it and I’d like to fix it. Also, does anyone make any nice skeleton or ghoul decals to install under the two pop up doors on the medisinyl coffin mod?
Lastly, that 36-24-36 shot that fires across the playfield is missing the targets low. How can it be adjusted to hit the targets, as designed for the mode?
Have been toying with the idea of selling my LE and upgrading to a 40th edition. Decisions…
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

I'd suggest using slow motion video on the VUK kick out to see if the ball is hitting the mod on the way out. After I installed my mod I had the same issue with the VUK kick out. I used slow motion video to see what the issue was and saw the ball was making contact with the gargoyle mouth on the way out. I adjusted the angle of the VUK deflector a bit and it helped. The deflector tends to eventually bend back to its original position on mine so I have to re-adjust it every so often.

#11939 1 year ago

Don’t forget, one week from today is the (legit) chance to get the Insider Connected achievement for completing Werewolf of Washington on Oct 31.

1 week later
#11985 1 year ago
Quoted from jake35:

thanks, dumb question but how do you start the mode?

Shoot house enough times to light haunt. Shoot house again to start haunt. House window that's lit when the ball goes in is the haunt that's started.

http://tiltforums.com/t/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-rulesheet-wip/5815

#11991 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Does anyone have a photo or drawing they can share of the leaping gargoyle target mech? Ideally outside of the game? I want to do something similar in my homebrew and am struggling to find detailed information on the mech or part numbers that can be purchased.

It's pretty simple. It's not mechanized at all. It's just a gargoyle on a stick that goes through an opening and rests on an L shaped bracket that covers the target switch. When the ball hits the front side of the L, it pops the top side of the L up which causes the gargoyle that's sitting on it to pop up also. The front side of the L also pushes into the target to register the switch hit. The L is just held in place by a pin.

76BBB3AD-495B-4F45-8E4B-099A065D5ED6 (resized).jpeg76BBB3AD-495B-4F45-8E4B-099A065D5ED6 (resized).jpeg
#11993 1 year ago
Quoted from paulbaptiste:

Thanks for this. How is the gargoyle/stick connected below the playfield? The rod is loose so it allows it to jump at differing lengths depending on how hard it is hit, correct? Is it just balanced beneath with a rod or pin to keep it from shooting out of the assembly?

It's just balanced beneath by the flat rod it's attached to. In this case it's intended to pop all the way up and hit the glass.

All you'd have to do to restrict how high it pops up would be to either wrap enough tape around a spot on the rod that would keep that spot from going up through the slot in the bracket, or drill through the rod and use a screw to block it. There's a screw and nut at the bottom of this one to keep it from accidentally coming all the way out. The rod is about 8" long. Here are top and bottom pics of it.

40677221-2B6C-4C13-8AC7-2D691BE0F705 (resized).jpeg40677221-2B6C-4C13-8AC7-2D691BE0F705 (resized).jpeg5929C1FC-6423-4EF4-A9EC-0062DA9804CF (resized).jpeg5929C1FC-6423-4EF4-A9EC-0062DA9804CF (resized).jpeg
#12003 1 year ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

As far as I know, wifi is independent of the Insider Connect board. Actually I'm going to go test that right now...
Someone had a thread where they were able to share a single insider connect and still get their games online - I need to dig that up.

Here are the two posts I used for reference when hooking up all my machines through the scanner on my Godzilla:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/36#post-6626480

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/stern-insider-connected/page/41#post-6663871

#12015 1 year ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

LOL, I feel the same way. Just not high on my 'to-do' list. But I have been tempted to try it on one pin tho just because I'm curious.

Lol, give in to the temptation. It's SO easy to do. When all the components I needed arrived (cables, manual switch box, and mini SD cards), it took about 1/2 hour to 45 minutes total to hook up 3 additional machines to work with the QR scanner in my Godzilla.

3 weeks later
#12088 1 year ago
Quoted from DVDA:

has anyone had this happen to their screen? Kinda weird looking since the red is coming thru the black.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks the same as what I've been experiencing on my Godzilla recently. On mine I found it's the cable connecting the LCD to the board in the back box. When I wiggle and push on the connection in the back box the artifacting on the LCD clears up. I'd suggest taking the translite panel off, lifting up the LCD into viewing position, and wiggling/pushing on that connection to see if the LCD image clears up. It works to clear it on mine. Here's a picture of the connection I'm talking about.
40E65230-38BB-493A-8B03-551941CAE445 (resized).jpeg40E65230-38BB-493A-8B03-551941CAE445 (resized).jpeg

1 week later
#12149 1 year ago

That is bound to happen anytime the game takes the ball and does something else. The important thing is that you can skip them.
Things like feeding the TRex in JP and the building mech for the Godzilla Multiball I find rather frustrating because you're just forced to sit there to watch the same thing you've seen 100 times before.

Yep, just double flip to skip what you don't want to see. Works on pretty much everything in Elvira. Works on JP T-Rex modes also (after a couple seconds you can double flip to cut them short). There's no way to skip to make the GZ building go down faster though.

#12151 1 year ago

You can skip most events, but not the feed trex event. Unless they've changed it in the last code update. I believe I'm still running 1.05.

lol, not to get off track too much on Elvira but you can cut the feed t-rex intro a bit short also if you double flip as soon as the dino roars with the green background on screen. When you do that the animations stop and the callout of "T-Rex Multiball" doesn't happen. Granted it's not cut short by as much as the others, but it's a second or two shorter. Been that way for awhile.

#12185 1 year ago

Finally remembered to go after the December achievement on SCCTM. Now just need to remember to go after it on Christmas.

118DBD37-18D9-4F82-B647-49183C7824F3 (resized).jpeg118DBD37-18D9-4F82-B647-49183C7824F3 (resized).jpeg
#12191 1 year ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Thank you both! If there's an official Stern fix, that tells me there's definitely a pattern here. I'm pretty handy service wise. I'll have a quick look order the playfield and see what's what. So, ideally, the ball should hit the "24" target on the left side?

Yep ideally it should hit the 36-24-36 targets.

#12196 1 year ago

Thank you everyone!! It's always nice when people help each other out on here. I'm pretty sure the previous owner didn't do any repositioning. I'll start with that this evening after work

Might also depend on build date. Mine was May 2021 and it didn't need repositioning. If yours is from an earlier run then it might need repositioning.

#12237 1 year ago

Question from reading this thread it sounds like the early run premiums and limited editions had some issues and needed a lot of dialing in and the later run premiums were pretty well dialed him from the factory. Did most of you LE owners have to do quite a bit of tweaking to get your games to play right out of the box?

A few things I can think of offhand that were dialed in on mine NIB that I don't think were in the initial runs:
- Spacer on the house ramp to keep it from catching on the edge
- Alignment of crypt VUK
- Back door shot ball guide
- Screw point for end of ball guide at left orbit exit is now an open horseshoe instead of a closed hole for the screw to go through. Makes it easier to adjust the end of the ball guide out and retighten the screw so balls exiting the orbit don't hit the left sling.

#12244 1 year ago

On another unfortunate note, I had a look at the underside of my playfield and the VUK relocation HAS already been done. My next adjustment was messing around with the bend at the top of the scoop both up and down. Then, I also played around with the coil strength in the settings. It's better than it was, but still very hit or miss. My next attempt may be cupping the end of the nylon plunger that launches the ball up. There's a video from Hurry Up Pinball on YouTube. Has anyone else done this? Did it help?

Have you done slow motion video on yours just to see if it looks like the ball is coming cleanly out of the VUK without losing momentum off the VUK hood (or if it's hitting the mouth of the gargoyle mod if you have that on it)?

#12262 1 year ago

Just listed a NIB topper if anyone needs one. I had an extra since the game I got already had a topper on it.

Lol Use it as a topper for your topper

#12304 1 year ago

In other Elvira owners forum news not related to people posting about whether or not they like the new prices on machines…. The Stern Insider Connected leaderboard for the next two weeks is Elvira.

#12316 1 year ago
Quoted from hAbO:

Does anyone know how to view the leaderboards? Stern announced Elvira was up but after logging in on IC….I see button’. Do you view it on your game or the Stern IC site?[quoted image]
[quoted image]

It’s on the IC website. Log in and then on the home screen click on Stern Events. Then there will be a link for Elvira Leaderboards. Then on the next screen will be links to view 2 leaderboards. One for verified locations and one for non-verified/home locations.

2 weeks later
#12460 1 year ago

I haven't seen a great write up anywhere. If you're not opposed to a video. This is likely the most detailed rules video I've seen:

^^^^ This. Tiltforums isn't fully updated for Elvira, but there are a lot of very good streams of it online to watch to get a good feel for the game and the rules.

#12466 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I was watching some of the gameplay like DeadFlip. Just curious if you have to finish all the shots on a mode because some modes looked like 14+ shots. Or is there a halfway point and the extra shots just keep building up the points but are not necessary to complete.

Lots of risk/reward built in. It’s part of the beauty of this code. On several modes the house ramp lights up to let you move to the next phase of the mode, or you can keep going for lit shots to boost mode score (thereby also boosting trailer trash bonus). So you can move on in the mode asap or try to get greedy and build it up.

1 week later
#12617 1 year ago
Quoted from CaptiveJet:

Hey, just a quick question for you Elvira owners. Aside from having Insider Connected, is there any difference between Elvira machines produced earlier (early production runs) vs later? I'm hoping to join the club soon and I've got an option for a new machine vs an older production machine with only a few dozen plays.
The older machine is mint with more aftermarket bells and whistles. I'm leaning toward the older one since it is same price with more stuff, but just curious if there were any changes made in later production runs or if there is anything else I should consider. Thanks!

Some that were dialed in on mine NIB that I don't think were in the initial runs:
- Spacer on the house ramp to keep it from catching on the edge
- Alignment of crypt VUK
- Back door shot ball guide
- Screw point for end of ball guide at left orbit exit is now an open horseshoe instead of a closed hole for the screw to go through. Makes it easier to adjust the end of the ball guide out and retighten the screw so balls exiting the orbit don't hit the left sling.

#12679 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

Watching this video, I noticed was when in a mode and he started a multi ball the timer disappeared.
Does this mean there is no timer during a MB or is timer hidden from view? Can't tell if the mode times out or did he finish it and start Gappa angry instead of trailer trash at the end?
Link at the time of the MB start.

Timer still runs as normal during MB. If you don’t hit a mode shot the mode will time out.

1 week later
#12750 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

Wondering if you can dwell on the roof mod, ramp airball fix and left ramp ball lock alignment fix? Got a few of those mods myself ready to go but hadn't heard of these things before so want to be prepared. Cheers!

I got the left return airball cover for mine. I was having a lot of balls that hit the end of the left return and hopped over it into the outlane and this has worked great.

#12766 1 year ago
Quoted from Damonator:

That would be cool. I have heard that they shot Elvira footage for each of the movies on the backglass too. I'd love to see them put the extra modes into the game. It would probably be the very rare case that I'd even be willing to pay extra for that upgrade.

Might even be neat to just put them in similar to outtakes on DVDs. Maybe have it so you can view the extra unused scenes outside of game play.

3 weeks later
#12966 1 year ago
Quoted from chewiec:

Anyone else get a beaten up ramp in front of the house? During a multi-ball when the ramp lifts to release a ball from the cellar, sometimes the metal guarding the ramp takes a beating. Has anyone had to replace the metal riveted front of the entrance to the house? Have a feeling that will need to be done at some point.

I just bend mine back into shape when it needs it. The leaf switch adjustment tool works pretty well for doing it.

#12972 1 year ago
Quoted from RikeIsland:

Just a thought but would a sheet metal clamp work to flatten out the dent?

Probably. I was thinking that even using a small C-clamp or vice grip along the face of it would work to straighten it but I don't have one small enough to use without taking the ramp off.

1 week later
#13219 1 year ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

Hello EHoH Fans
I would like to order a replacement VUK plunger and the diagram in the manual is less than helpful
How do I determine the correct part number
Attached is the page from the manual
Any help is greatly appreciated
Thanks
[quoted image]

Is piece #8 in the manual what you're looking for? part #515-6119-02?

https://www.pinballlife.com/desegastern-plunger-with-nylon-extension-381-long.html?Category_Code=

#13285 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

Can you post the link to that video or the thread that contains it for our general awareness? I'm expecting my game next week and would love to have stuff like that readily available in case I encounter similar issues.
Thanks!

It's a very easy adjustment. Just remove the plastic over the ball guide screw located closest to the end of the left orbit ball guide (need to move the left ramp to get at it). Loosen the screw. Nudge the end of the guide out while retightening the screw. Repeat as many times as needed until you get the end of the guide set so the ball misses the sling as it comes out of the orbit.

#13423 1 year ago
Quoted from demandecan55:

My shooter rod is off center (on the right) - loosened all the screws and the red bolts and pushed it to the left as much as I could. I then re-tightened everything. It's better, but only because it was so far of to start with. I am getting around 40% of my shots past the pops. I didn't take the red bolts out yet to see if I can adjust any further, I just went hard as I could left after loosening. There are really too many issues to spend a ton on each one. Im more in troubleshooting and quick fix mode for now. If I have a tech out I want to have a full list of items.

The Stern shooter lane ramps can be a bit out of level and send the ball to the right or left instead of going straight down the middle. I had similar issues on my AIQ and Elvira. Take slow motion video of a plunge and see what path the ball takes as it goes from the plunge to the entrance of the orbit. Then maybe try adjusting that metal shooter ramp a bit to counter whatever direction the ball is going.

#13478 1 year ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Alright, thanks to some key posts here and some nice videos from the community, I've gotten my gargoyles re-attached and they seem to be holding for the time being, got my left orbit ball guide adjusted (used electrical tape to fatten up the post sleeve rubber), got my crooked turret adjusted, fixed the issue where the house wouldn't hold the ball when starting a mode (Stern left the coil behind the backboard half screwed in, I aligned and tightened the screws and the ball is held now), and now I'm down to one issue (hopefully the last):
Inconsistent ball-plunge both automatic and manual (already checked and alignment is just fine) - seems like every few plunges, one of two things happens - the ball 'hops' under the plastic part of the right ramp at the top of the launch ramp - causing a number of different outcomes (including a fly ball that smacked into the bottom of the plastic) - or it hits the top of the right orbit curve and instead of following the guide, it crashes into it, loses all momentum, and dribbles back down the right orbit. It's hard to see what's happening under the right plastic return. I'd say every 3rd plunge or so something irregular happens. Any thoughts on what area I should be looking at for this one? It looks like the launch ramp is clearing the ball guide it intersects with, the switch up there seems to depress as expected...

Mine was the same on AIQ and Elvira. Good alignment of the auto launcher and plunger, but ball going off course. I took slow motion video to see the path of the ball down the shooter lane ramp and how it entered the orbit. Then I adjusted the metal shooter lane ramp so it would counter the direction the ball was going. That style of shooter lane ramp is very flimsy and doesn't have any support underneath it, so it's prone to being off level and causing the ball to take a path other than straight down the ramp and into the orbit.

#13561 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

One of my gargoyles does not slide very well. Does a person need to take it apart and file the surround it is supposed to glide up and down on or will this just loosen up over time?(yes I took the foam off and checked underneath, it is just super tight) Also and this will sound totally noob. But when the ball does into the house with the face on the ramp. is the house supposed to hold that ball and start a mode. I am just trying to figure out if mine is working properly. I have seen a couple posts where this may have been an issue? Thanks.

When the big arrow insert in front of the house ramp is slow pulsing and a window is flashing lit on the house, then the ball should be held to start a mode. The arrow insert will be lit solid until you hit enough house ramp shots to light the haunt and then it will pulse, although it begins the game pulsing to start a haunt on ball 1.

Gargoyle likely won't loosen up over time on its own. Will likely take just a small tweak to get it jumping if you want it to jump more.

#13605 1 year ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Still haven't figured out why the house won't hold the ball like it should during mode start about 50% of the time or more.

Have you checked the post in the subway behind the backboard? That post is supposed to come down but it's been known to catch on the opto bracket next to it.

Quoted from vikeking27:

Additionally, about half the time the ball comes out of the pops it goes STDM with no chance for recovery. I thought maybe I'd moved the game and screwed up the level/pitch after taking the glass off 500 times since I got it - but everything was still perfect, so either it was a string of bad luck or something else is going on with that. Anyone else's garage door drop target send the ball a top speed straight down the drain too?

The exit out of the pops and a SDTM off the garage drop are just normal drain hazards in the game. Every machine has some danger spots. Those are two danger spots on Elvira.

#13617 1 year ago
Quoted from vikeking27:

Thank you! I did check that post and make sure it was not catching - seems like it has plenty of clearance. I found that tip in the sticky posts - anything else I should look at?

It helped on mine when I did the velcro fix. Adding padding to the entrance of the subway behind the backboard. Was very easy to do. Note you may want to try more than one layer of velcro.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/175#post-6325790

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/181#post-6346410

#13656 1 year ago
Quoted from Micahdell:

Hello all. We just got our Elvira last week and over the weekend I put a few plays on it, it's a great game so far. However we are having an issue where the ramp that goes into the house is getting hung up and the left side Gargoyle. There is a pin the hold on the metal L bracket the pops up the Gargoyle that ends up sliding in towards the ramp and when the ramp goes either up or down it gets hung up on that pin and won't go either all the way up or won't come down depending on where the ramp is when that pin slides to far over. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Anyone found a reliable fix for this issue?
[quoted image]

If the pin can be slid over to a position where the ramp doesn't catch on it, can you use tape or something else to hold it in that spot so it doesn't slide? Maybe not a great elegant solution but might be functional without too much trouble to do it if it works.

#13673 1 year ago
Quoted from Gotfrogs:

This drives me crazy! I have the same problem. Stern sent me new mechs and they have the same problem. The pins are just not flared enough on the ends to keep them in place. I have had the pins completely fall out from one side. [quoted image]

Mine was the same way in the same spot on my May '21 build. Didn't notice it until a couple months ago when it fell out. I just bent the rod a bit while in place and it's stayed put.

#13831 1 year ago
Quoted from mchamps:

It seems like I'm having the same issue on my shooter lane that others have mentioned during the recent run.
As you can see from the attached picture & video the groove in the playfield shooter lane is offset from the metal shooter lane launch. When I plunge the ball the wood groove guides the ball to the left then when it meets to the metal part it corrects the shoot to the right.
I don't think there is really any resolve here due to the fact that the two screws holding in the shooter lane launch metal is not adjustable.

[quoted image]

Tough to tell from that angle of video. The key is to see what the path of the ball is as it enters the orbit. I think a more top down view of the ball traveling through the whole shooter lane would give a better idea of what's going on with it. That way you could see how centered the ball is, what direction it's heading, and what if anything it's hitting as it enters the orbit. Then maybe there could be some adjustments that would straighten it enough to enter the orbit cleanly.

#13836 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

So during a long MB, the game lost a ball apparently, the MB wouldn't end, ball search couldn't find it, so the game just ended after so long with no ball in play and continued without it. I see it nowhere on the PF, and the service menu shows a ball is missing. Ball search no help either, so it keep saying theres a missing ball somewhere. I can play it and played a bunch more to try and see if something dislodges somewhere inside but nothing so far, still shows on the test that a ball went missing. Any clues where this could be at if its happened to others?

Under the left ramp on top of the plastic was a common stuck ball spot on mine until I put some cabinet bumpers there to block the ball from that spot. Wouldn't shake loose out of there.

#13859 1 year ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Anybody else have their game lock up or freeze? It seems to happen right when starting a haunt. The black silhouette of Elvira is on the screen but the game totally freezes and nothing happens.

As wise1919 mentioned it's worth reseating or replacing the memory card. A friend's not too long ago was having issues with freeze ups and replacing the card cured it.

#13944 1 year ago
Quoted from ZoraShinoda:

I tried the steps in the video, moving the guide all the way out to the further spot, at least on my game when it did that slow balls that come out of the eject, for example from the back of the house would just drop right into the sling, faster shots were fine, but most of the shots coming down that rail are from that eject after shooting the house.
It definitely takes a little tinkering, I played around with micro adjustments of the rail and the different rubbers sizes to get it where it is now. If you use a rubber that is too fat or have the rail in too far then the ball will ricochet off the rubber and go to the right flipper.
Definitely trial and error.

Game pitch might have a bit of an impact also. Steeper setup might have the ball going downhill a bit steeper after the end of the guide and still catching the sling vs. a bit less pitch where the ball might drift just a bit more to the right.

#14074 1 year ago
Quoted from rai:

I know this is an owners thread so I do apologize if this is out of line, but I’m waiting on this last run have been on order going on a year. But I was hearing in other threads or under the surface about how Elvira is just a fan layout and the shots are easy. So that’s my long preamble to asking how we compare to Godfather LE now that Elvira is close to the same price. I understand not the same price but GF LE comes with invisible glass and shaker and premium hot rails and is not just a fan layout.
I’m not. Great player so sometimes an easy shooter might help make me feel better, nothing worse than a deep complicated pin with modes that are so hard I can’t get out of first gear. Also other games like MM or AFM are just fan layouts that seems to be ok for them.
I understand that I will need to play them both just asking how the value proposition is now if you said Elvira with shaker and invisible glass would be $11k or if we got a topper on Elvira it would cost the same as Godfather LE.
Sorry if that’s a bad question to have but does anyone see my point now that Elvira is so much more than some other pins I paid $3300 less when I got my SW premium than this Elvira premium. I understand prices have gone up etc.
Anyway I’m going to play Godfather and Elvira on location this weekend to decide, just wanted to get anyone’s opinion’s especially if you have played godfather.
If this is the wrong place to answer feel free to send me a PM
Thanks.

They are such very different games in both layout and rules that anyone's opinion is really just going to come down to personal preference for what style game that person likes more. A quick look at gameplay videos will give you a pretty good sense of what to expect in each game. If you're on the fence between the two then you really should just play both and see which one you think is more fun.

#14075 1 year ago

Last note you can jam everything and the kitchen sink into a game but that does equal fun game play.

This

#14129 1 year ago
Quoted from andre060:

Anyone remember if Dennis Nordman did any interviews talking about the design of this game? I remember hearing it was mostly his design but that Stern tweaked it somewhat, but I'm having a hard time remembering what the source was, and am trying to verify it. I'd appreciate any pointers to info on the development of this game. Thanks!

#14207 1 year ago
Quoted from whistlervan:

Does anyone know the best way to access the area this fix is explained in? I raised the playfield to service position but the area of the pic was way below and not accessible. Do you have to remove the playfield entirely to access it?

Don't lift the playfield up for it. Just slide the playfield out forward into the service position resting on the service rails and you can get at it pretty easily behind the backboard.

#14240 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Looks like I have the classic SD card issue. Game was scoring into the billions while doing nothing. Sent Stern an email, hopefully they send new SD card.

Did you go into switch test to check the ramp optos? Usually when phantom scoring happens it’s because an opto is out of alignment. Usually on the ramps.

#14243 1 year ago
Quoted from FlopTube:

Had a game freeze on me last night and then it manually reset itself. First time I thought it was a fluke but this 2nd time happening is a bit irritating. Any suggestions on why?

Can be a symptom of a bad SD card.

#14248 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

So I think I narrowed it down to the Crypt motor. Apparently there's an opto in there? I can't see it. I put game in switch test mode and banged the PF and that's what was getting triggered, very rapidly

Could also try putting it in switch test mode, pulling out the interlock switch, and using flippers to play and see what switches are registering. Maybe hit some shots including ramp shots to see what triggers. Might have a better chance of recreating the issue that way.

#14250 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

Thanks. I'll give that a try tomorrow.

Also, when it happens, listen for what sounds the game is making when it’s awarding the points. For example if it’s glasses clinking then it’s probably a ramp. The audio can be a clue to whatever it might be.

#14254 1 year ago
Quoted from JakePG:

I checked the ramps in switch test and everything was good.

Can sometimes be intermittent. Could be happening when pops fire, shaker goes off, or something else. If it’s the glasses clinking it’s going to likely be the exit (2nd) opto for the left or right ramp. Based on what you’re saying I’d zero in on one of those two optos as the likely issue.

Might want to clean lenses of the optos just in case that’s part of the problem. Could be that and/or alignment. Most likely alignment but doesn’t hurt to clean to be sure.

#14312 1 year ago
Quoted from toaster777:

Got my new Elvira and going through it. Found this loose on the service rail that's under the playfield at the front. Any thoughts where it's supposed to go? Looking but haven't seen a missing screw yet.
[quoted image]

It kind of looks like the hex head screws they use on the flipper assemblies in the crank bar that holds the flipper bat post tight. But I'd think if that's what was missing you'd have noticed an issue with the flipper.

#14313 1 year ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

So cool when it goes off with the thunder

That subtle rocking with the thunder is one of the best shaker effects I've seen in any game.

#14368 1 year ago
Quoted from Sloshy:

Got my nib Elvira. Any ways to prevent the gargoyles from hitting the glass?

Easiest way is to pick how high you want them to be able to go and use tape as a blocker. Identify what spot on the gargoyle shaft is passing through the slot at the height you want. Then wrap enough tape on the shaft at that spot so the tape blocks the shaft from going up through the slot beyond that point.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14406 1 year ago

One common solution for persistent lockup issues is new SD card. Regardless of whether or not the machine has Insider Connected. An LE near me without IC was freezing frequently and a new SD card resolved it. Might not necessarily be the cause on a particular machine but worth trying in order to eliminate it as the problem.

#14407 1 year ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

my Elvira crashed and restarted this weekend during a tournament and worst of it didn't record the scores. Fortunately I have scorbit and was able to get the scores.
I've also had the ball get stuck in the house (going in via the main door) and it requires playfield up to free - any ideas on what this might be causing this before I dismantle everything.

Depends on where exactly the ball getting stuck. Sometimes can go through the house and hop on top of the plastic under the left ramp. If that’s the spot yours is ending up in you can place cabinet bumpers to keep it from going into the stuck spot.

#14444 1 year ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I’ve tried changing out the cat5 cables from Node 0 in the backbox to node 9 under the playfield, no change. I tried changing out the cat5 cable from node 9 to node 8, no change. I swapped out node 9 with a new one, still same problem.

I'd start by checking the active switch test to see if any optos or switches are active that shouldn't be.

Sounds like a post firing. Could be the post in the subway behind the backboard. If the opto isn't aligned properly that post will fire repeatedly. Looks like that opto is Switch 54 based on what I see in the manual.

#14543 1 year ago
Quoted from Jkush18:

Just when I thought I had everything working correctly, the house lock started acting up. I can get it working but then it comes out of alignment and doesn’t go all the way down since the plunger is hitting the side of the opening. I could reposition the bracket a bit to the right but I can’t move it enough to make a new hole. It’s like they went a little too much to the left when they drilled the pilot holes at the factory. Any tips on what others have done to address the house lock issues would be greatly appreciated. I did a search for house lock in the thread and it didn’t bring up anything? Thanks in advance. Getting really tired of lifting the hood daily to tweak things…

I used washers to shim the house lock post into a good position. Here's a post that shows what I did.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/173#post-6321191

#14673 1 year ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

So is there a final wizard mode in this game? I can’t seem to find any videos on it

It's a hurry up shot to the market value target to sell the house after you've done everything to qualify it.

#14700 1 year ago
Quoted from Forum-ninja:

I never had a problem with this before the update,now my game is doing the same thing. That would be one heck of a coincidence if it was not the update.

It could definitely be a coincidence though. This happened on mine a couple months ago and it was a matter of the mech continuing to work perfectly while playing and then suddenly in the middle of a game the crypt started cycling through its positions. There wasn't any way to see it coming before it happened.

The fix was simply adjusting the position of the screw as described in the key post. And the screw in mine didn't seem like it was loose but after I loosened it, slightly adjusted the position of it in the slot, and then re-tightened it the issue was resolved. Here's the key post showing the screw in the wide slot that needs to be adjusted:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/226#post-6999812

#14739 12 months ago
Quoted from ScottAM2000:

Can someone steer me to the definitive, best instructions to fix the house. Ball either gets stuck which is more common or haunts won’t start consistently. Sometimes it will work: so very inconsistent with either ball coming right back out or getting stuck.

There really is no definitive, best answer because it always depends on what's going on with your particular machine. There are several things that could possibly be causing your issue and there's probably very good advice in the forum already for fixing each of those things. But knowing what to do on your machine depends on knowing what exactly is happening with the ball in your situations. Is it happening when a haunt is lit? Where is the ball getting stuck? Is the ball entering the subway behind the backboard and then rolling back out? Is the post behind the backboard not holding the ball? Is the diverter behind the house not raising when it should?

Best advice is to take some time to understand how the various mechs are supposed to behave in certain game play situations, and see if they're behaving that way. Check active switch test. Play with the glass off to see if you can recreate the issue and then immediately check to see if the mechs are doing what they're supposed to be doing at that moment. Then depending on the details of the issue there will probably be good suggestions in here to help.

#14760 12 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

A Dispiriting Discovery:
I unboxed my April, 2023, EHOH yesterday, set it up, and began dialing it. I know that some of you who have games from this latest batch are having plunge issues. Well, so have I. When I first set up my game, I couldn’t see any shooter-lane misalignments, so I just focused on the getting the shooter rod centered behind the ball, etc. That, however, didn’t solve my rattly plunge, so I took a harder look and discovered that the groove cut in my playfield for a shooter lane is NOT colinear with the shooter lane; it points noticeably left. I used my iPhone to make a slo-mo clip of a plunge. In it, you should be able to see how the “point” of the channel does NOT point to the vertex of the fork ramp but instead points noticeably left. The ball dutifully goes left and doinks off the left point of the fork ramp and becomes airborne. I do not see any “fix” for something like this and I will of course have to talk to my distributor about it. I don't like to be a PITA, but for $10,500, I won't tolerate an issue like that. No frickin' way.

[quoted image]

You might be able to shim the left underside of the shooter lane ramp so it brings the ball back to the right to enter the orbit where it should.

#14770 12 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Thanks for the thought, but no shim can redirect a plunged ball. A playfield with a miscut groove is junk.

Not true. I did a shim under the shooter ramp on both my AIQ and Elvira. If any surface is tilted the ball will redirect.

You don’t have to try it, that’s up to you. Just thought I’d offer advice from my experience. But saying that shimming the shooter ramp won’t redirect a plunged ball is flat out false.

#14810 12 months ago

I have and it's level. The game has very large open areas around the outlanes that makes them juicy targets for drains, but just feels like even the slightest bounce on a post or top of the sling will have the ball go straight for the drain, so wondering if I need it to be steeper at around 7 or so.

That description fits a lot of pinball machines, not just EHOH. The top of the sling will often be a dangerous throw to the opposite outlane on a lot of games. And every game has certain angles and posts that are danger spots. Just takes getting familiar with them to learn where you can and can't miss shots and still survive & also nudging to try to keep the ball from going toward those areas.

#14812 12 months ago

So you just put the mylar on the edge of the metal a couple pieces, or you wrap it all the war around the edge too? Just the tip would be enough to make a difference?
The worst is during multiball start now, as I got the left orbit adjusted as far as it will go yet the balls still roll down and hit the bottom of the sling which will sometimes launch em, or they just bounce off the bottom tip of the sling and go straight to drain down the middle. During MB start, the balls are ejected slowly and the slow roll makes them just want to bounce and go to drain instead of a flipper which is getting frustrating.

Changing pitch will likely change the issue with MB start. Steeper pitch means the balls drop down sooner. So if you're up around 7.0 drop it back to 6.7/6.8 and the balls will float a little further away from the sling.

I adjusted the orbit guide on mine and when I set my pitch to about 6.7/6.8 it was about just right to have the ball barely miss the sling while still being steep enough to not play floaty.

#14831 11 months ago

Anyone ever have a shot up the left orbit not register when shot through real fast? Upon testing it seems to work fine but then randomly in games I've noticed a strong shot up the left orbit will not register, so no drive me crazy and like just now on a game of Werewolf of Washington, first shot for the mode up that orbit real fast, didn't register. It's inconsistent, usually works but once in a great while with a fast shot, it won't trigger

Happens very, very rarely on mine also. Like with yours it's on a very fast shot through the orbit. I'm guessing something about that causes the ball to not press the orbit rollover switch fully. If it happened more often on mine I'd be tempted to try bending the wire on the switch to see if that helps, or putting a cabinet bumper in the turn on the ball guide to make sure the ball isn't riding up the side of the guide on those fast shots, but so far it's been so infrequent that I haven't bothered.

3 weeks later
#15024 11 months ago
Quoted from FlopTube:

When the skull is lit on the ramp it means a mode is ready, correct? One more shot up the ramp and it should start? I feel a few times I’ve felt a mode is ready to go and I send a ball up the ramp only for it to come back around and have to shoot it again to start. Switch issue maybe or am I missing something?

Yes, when the skull is lit and a window on the house is flashing then a mode is ready. At that point the diverter behind the house should be up so the ball will go into the subway behind the backboard.

When you say the ball "comes back around", where exactly is it going? Is the diverter staying down so it's going out the left orbit? Or is it exiting from the subway into the pops?

1 week later
#15089 10 months ago
Quoted from Jokerman:

If anyone else has this problem, the fix is simple. The indicated nut/bolt had worked loose and the motor assembly had shifted. Re-centred and tightened - all good.
[quoted image]

Quoting this for reference. Great fix for crypt going up and down without stopping.

3 weeks later
#15222 10 months ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

During MB, a shot into the house when the eye is facing front will add a ball

Only for House Party MB. Not for the other MBs.

1 week later
#15261 10 months ago
Quoted from JJDK:

I keep reading that this pin is easy. Well Not for me. Nothing but side outs and center drains. Getting tired of playing it. Turned slings down and it makes no difference. Jurassic Park is much easier compared to this pin. I am thinking of just getting rid of it. What is the trick to it.

There's no trick to it. Just like any pin, there are some shots that are a bit more risky than others and some areas & bounces that you need to try to keep the ball away from in order to avoid drains.

#15283 9 months ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

Certain shots to the left orbit I believe are supposed to enter the back door. I’m lucky enough to never have issues back there, so I don’t know if it’s a gate or diverter or what. But the left orbit does end up in the house often. The skill shot from the plunge is another matter. Mine must be just right, a half-plunge with only the fingertips, with no breeze or vibration from any other games. Or no dice.

There's no gate or diverter to direct the ball from the left orbit into the back door. It can just happen sometimes depending on the usual factors (speed, spin, angle of the shot, level & pitch of the machine, etc.).

1 week later
#15327 9 months ago
Quoted from Geeterman1:

Dang! I’m constantly trying to finish modes as quickly as I can to move on. I guess it’s time to combo some shots first.

I think one of the best features of code in this game is the risk/reward so many of the modes offer where you can either hit the house shot to move on to the next phase (or end) of the mode or you can continue hitting other shots to be greedy and really boost points before eventually hitting the house to move on.

Some of these modes can be built to huge points with huge trailer trash bonus on top of it (and then getting the mode points again for Director's Cut).

#15341 9 months ago

This post has a picture. It's the one I checked out when I did the same on mine:

#15358 9 months ago

Can you essentially time out the haunts to simply advance to house party and out space mb modes?

Timer on the modes freezes when you cradle to hold the ball

1 week later
#15399 9 months ago
Quoted from Gnassel:

Hello, I'm sure this topic has certainly been addressed before. But I have not been able to find anything yet.
The mechanics of the ramp are bad designed in my opinion. A motor with a gearbox moves it up and down. Here it happens, especially with a multiball, that a ball hits directly on the sheet metal of the ramp. In the long run, the sheet metal will deform. Here I would have liked a coil that moves the ramp within a short time. Like, for example, in a The walking dead le/premium.
How do you deal with the problem? Can you replace the sheet metal without any problems?

I use a leaf switch adjustment tool gently along the front edge of the ramp to bend it back into shape if it gets bent. The slot on the end of the leaf switch tool fits perfectly over the front edge of the ramp.

https://www.pinballlife.com/ultimate-leaf-adjuster-tool.html

4 weeks later
#15524 8 months ago
Quoted from DrHfuhruhurr:

So, I am fairly positive my garage lock opto #2 is dead. Garage MB has been very inconsistent since about two weeks ago, and now the 2nd ball almost never registers (i.e., it stays in there, but the game has no idea and eventually goes into ball search mode). I removed the glass and tried to manually feed balls during switch test, and I see opto #1 and opto #3 flash each time. No opto #2. It could be going by so quickly I don't see it, but given that's the ball that's not registering during normal play, I assume the opto is broken or something.
Question: to really get at the opto to test it, do I need to remove the house? Or the ramp assembly over the garage? Or both? Thanks!

You can also check it in Active Switch Test. With no balls in the lock, see if that opto comes up in Active Switch Test as being closed. If it does, then that will probably confirm what you were suspecting from the regular switch test.

#15530 8 months ago

Thanks for this. I will admit, though, I have no idea what Active Switch Test does or how to use it (I can't make sense of what I'm seeing). Probably time I learn--is there a good resource to explain it?

It's pretty straightforward to use. You just start the test and the screen automatically scrolls through showing all switches that are currently registering as active while the machine is just sitting there. You'll see each switch name and number appear on the screen. So all you need to do is watch it go through the list of switches to see which ones are reporting. If there's a switch that pops up on the report that generally shouldn't be reporting when the game is at rest then you know it's possibly an issue.

For example, if all the balls are in the trough when you run the active switch test then each trough opto will report as active in the test. If you take all the balls out of the trough then those switches won't report as active. So, other than the trough optos, pretty much any opto reporting in active switch test as being closed would be worth looking into.

#15591 8 months ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Random question: anyone know where this washer would go? Only hint I have us it came from the center ramp swinging open.
My wife was playing solo and I was not around to witness....any help much appreciated.
Cheers from Canada,
Winston.
[quoted image]

Could it be the spacer/washer that goes here?

IMG_6623 (resized).jpegIMG_6623 (resized).jpeg
#15598 7 months ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Thank you very much! That was it exactly. Does it just rest there? Don't see much of a way of wedging it in permanently...
Thanks again!!!
Winston

Definitely should not just rest there. This is a fix Stern put in after the initial run of the game to keep the end of the ramp from catching on the side. Here's a post I found that discusses how to install it.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/24#post-5343108

#15617 7 months ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

What would an Elwin Elvira be like?
I'd love to find out.

Since you asked what it would be like...

Elwin Elvira (resized).jpgElwin Elvira (resized).jpg
#15626 7 months ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Fixed the washer issue, thanks to my lovely wife. First session after the fix I made it to Gappa Angry for the first time. What an odd (but thrilling) mode!
Anyone else find their stock Stern glass to be not the best on this pin? I'm thinking some Voodoo Glass might be even more important than a shaker. Thoughts?

Voodoo glass is good. Before getting it I’d suggest changing the setting that lowers the back box lighting while a game is being played. Try taking it down to between 15%-20%. That can eliminate most of the glare from the machine. See if it helps and if not then maybe get the glass.

#15637 7 months ago
Quoted from wtuttle:

Great idea, didn't know this was an option!

I just checked on mine. It’s located under Adjustments-Standard Adjustments and it’s #96 “Game Play B Box Brightness”. So if you scroll 2 to the left when you go into the menu you’ll see it.

On my Bond I dropped it to 16% and it eliminated most all of the glare. Looks pretty much like my pins that have Voodoo at that setting.

1 month later
#15786 6 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

When you’re plunging the ball is there anything in the settings that I can disable to remove the post in the back but just on the plunge? Because when it comes up, it’s easy to plunge into the pops. I was hoping that if it went too long. It would come around the left orbit instead of bouncing back into the pops.

On a plunge the gate between the top inlanes and the house opens so you can try to hit the backdoor skill shot. If you plunge too hard it does come out the left orbit.

#15789 6 months ago

Which house lock are you referring to? The post in the subway behind the backboard?

#15791 6 months ago

If that post is firing repeatedly on starting up the machine, then it likely means the opto receiver and transmitter are not lined up. Go into Active Switch Test (not regular switch test). See if Switch 54 House Lock comes up on the screen as being active (similar to how the trough switches show up when the balls are in the trough). If it shows up in active switch test then you just need to realign the optos to fix the problem.

To realign them, I'd suggest leaving the machine powered on, pull it out to the service position, and use switch test & active switch test to get them aligned properly. It's a pretty simple to align the optos but it needs to be done using switch test to make sure they're aligned properly.

#15793 6 months ago

I've toyed with it alot, but really more than any pin i've had, the slings on EHOH really love to slam balls straight into the outlane drains. The speed of it really makes it not something one can really account for with nudging as it's just instant toss into the drain, and it just feels wrong as I don't get this with other sterns. Yes it's been leveled carefully, i've played with incline as well and just it's just a nasty drain tosser.
Do I really need to crank down the slings power? I already toned em down a bit but really still seems they just are way out of control. This is from the batch earlier this year, I know the flippers were way too powerful and toned them down heavily, but it just seems wrong that i'm losing so many balls to the slings just going "KOBE!" to my outlane drains. Seeing older footage of EHOH being played on streams and such, the slings don't seem as strong. Anyone else really crank down their slings?

Yep the top of the slings is a dangerous spot on a lot of games. Pretty much ends up being a line drive to the outlane from there. I like playing with them at stock power and learning on each machine how to minimize the risk. Usually it’s best to nudge to keep the ball from going toward the top of the sling or nudge right as it hits the sling.

But sometimes it’s just going to be unavoidable and the ball will fly to the outlane.

#15795 6 months ago
Quoted from Roberto_tron:

You are correct about that opto. It was not aligned and actually not lit up. I took it off and it still was causing the issue. I cleaned, nudged, something on the opto itself and it's working now (not connected to the back panel though). I had to fill in stripped holes on that back panel for the house lock up coil already and I'm worried about this opto being an issue when I put it back.

Alignment of the opto shouldn't be a problem again if you verify in switch test that it's aligned correctly after you tighten it in.

A loose wire/connection to the opto could cause it to start happening again because, just like when it's out of alignment, the lack of a beam being received tells the game to fire the post. If that happens then pushing on the connections like you did before can help you ID which connection is loose, and then you can re-flow the solder to fix it.

If you haven't soldered before, it's easier than it sounds. I'd never thought about soldering before I first owned a pin a few years ago. But it's not too difficult. It's basically just using a hot rod to heat metal into a liquid puddle, then remove the rod and the puddle pretty instantly solidifies again to form a solid conduit for electricity. I got a pretty cheap iron off Amazon that came with some wires and circuit boards to practice on and it's worked well.

#15801 6 months ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

It seems like when I plunge my wall gate on the back of the house is always down. So if I plunge it hard, it will hit that and fall back into the path. I go into this coil switch test and it activates so the coil is firing to put the gate up but no idea why it doesn’t go up when I plunge.

Quick way to check for correct behavior: Take the glass off and start a game to send a ball into the shooter lane. Stand to the right hand side so you can see the gate in the back of the orbit. Roll the ball forward a bit off the shooter lane switch. The gate is supposed to lift up when the ball leaves the shooter lane switch.

If that's not happening then there's probably an issue with either your shooter lane switch or the gate.

#15817 6 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

The game i just picked up is at code level 1.02. Are there any game play improvements above that or are the newer updates just system and IC related?
Not sure I’m interested in IC - any other reason to upgrade?

Just check out the Read Me file for the latest code. The Read Me’s have release notes for all code versions, so you’ll see the changes for each update.

Just go to Stern website under Support-Game Code and select the Read Me file.

#15845 6 months ago

New code would be amazing, but the returns thing makes me think simply a new run

Yeah it could be anything from new code, to another run, to an insider connected quest, or anything else. We'll just have to wait and see.

#15850 6 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

??
[quoted image]

To me that ad says a lot more about that distro than it does about what's for sale. "Details? You don't need any details. Just gimme your $500 deposit." Smh

#15927 6 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Damn! I want this!

Yes you definitely want this. I just saw it in person. It’s really stunning how great it looks.

#15989 6 months ago
Quoted from SuperNinjaMonkey:

Man it's absolutely beautiful. But i feel the black and white/Red playfield would get a bit tiresome. I love colorful playfield art and i feel like the monotone colors hide such a beautiful playfield. But the back glass, cab and rest of the machine is breathtaking.

Quoted from joetechbob:

I like it on the cab, but not the pf. I missed the stern tour though, so haven't seen it in person.

Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I predict we see people ordering these that already have an Elvira, swapping the playfields between their 2 models, then selling their old machine with the new playfield and old cab. Lots of Frankencabs coming to the market me thinks.

It does? News to me, I haven’t really been following JP30th. I would say this blood red edition art package qualifies as very unique, if not new. This game looks great no matter what model you purchase so you can’t really go wrong with it!
On a sidenote, watching the live streams from the factory it looks like the red sparkle on the Playfield is over the top, the people there said it was beautiful. I couldn’t really capture it trying to screenshot from the video, but it appeared to be a heavier sparkle than JJP uses on their playfield. The entire flamingo in this pic and apparently most all the red areas on the playfield are all sparkle. The guys who did the factory tour said it’s stunning.
[quoted image]

I was on the bus headed to the Stern tour yesterday when I saw the e-mail about the release, so I watched the trailer to see what this new version looked like as we headed there. I had the exact same impression. I thought the playfield looked fine but not necessarily that great.

Then at the end of the tour I saw it in person and my jaw about hit the floor. I thought it looked really great. So, for me, pictures/video of it didn't give anywhere near the same impression as seeing the whole package of cabinet/backglass/playfield right in front of me.

The good news is that when it comes down to it, all 5 EHOH models are really great, and the game is a ton of fun to play.

#16039 6 months ago

I don't mind that the final event of the game (selling the house) is a hurry up. I even think it's kind of fun that it's different from other games in that way. And for the theme I just think of a house sale as being more of a one shot event vs. a drawn out mode that's would fit more of a battle type theme.

Having the spinner used more in code would be nice though.

1 week later
#16131 5 months ago

Elvira players don't forget the Insider Connected Halloween achievement tomorrow, Oct. 31 if you don't already have it!!!

The achievement is "The Werewolf of Washington on Halloween", complete the Werewolf of Washington on Oct. 31.

#16152 5 months ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

Elvira players don't forget the Insider Connected Halloween achievement tomorrow, Oct. 31 if you don't already have it!!!
The achievement is "The Werewolf of Washington on Halloween", complete the Werewolf of Washington on Oct. 31.

I already had the Werewolf on Halloween achievement, but I had to fire up a quick game to complete that mode today anyway. I love this game.

#16154 5 months ago
Quoted from Buckeye82:

I am so bummed, my EHOH has been out of commission about 4 weeks now due to a bad LCD display. And today is Halloween.... All that's left for me is drink.

Swap the LCD from your Godzilla for a day?

It's quick to do. But if you don't want to remove the LCD from Godzilla you can just scoot the machines together and run the cable that goes to your Elvira LCD into the Godzilla LCD instead. It'll reach. Then you'll be playing Elvira while seeing the LCD on the Godzilla machine next to it.

#16158 5 months ago
Quoted from Buckeye82:

Yes, its tempting, but just seems like so much work. I've been chasing down this LCD issue and probably have about 5 hours of effort in it so far, and not at the end of the road yet. I have a new LCD screen, and its installed in the machine, but the cable they sent me for it (connecting LCD to the CPU) doesn't have enough length on the ground lead. And the original cable for the original LCD actually has a different connector at the LCD end. Who knew Stern changed that stuff? So until I get a new cable I'm dead in the water. And sad. At Halloween.

Is your Godzilla cable the same as the type for your new LCD so it could work if you just swapped the cable?

Odd that they'd change that. I had an issue with the cpu on my Godzilla feeding the video output, and to test that it was the board and not the LCD causing the problem I pushed my AIQ and GZ closer together and swapped the video output. So I was watching the AIQ video on the GZ machine and vice versa. Problem instantly showed up on the AIQ LCD so I knew the board was the issue and not the LCD.

Was super easy to set up, but yeah if they've changed cables for some reason that wouldn't work. Bummer.

#16161 5 months ago
Quoted from Buckeye82:

That's an excellent suggestion, they are side by side. I'll look at the Godzilla to see if the connectors are the same as the new LCD. I've already swapped out the CPU in EHOH with no change in the problem. So that's why I'm fairly sure its the LCD. Stern has sent me 2 CPUs, the replacement LCD, and cables for connecting the LCD to the CPU. Unfortunately the replacement cable wasn't manufactured correctly and I can't attach it to the CPU and have enough length on the ground lead to put it on the post. (And right now I'm at work goofing off. Shhhhhh!)

Hope it works out.

To be clear, (unless both connections on the LCD have been changed) if the Godzilla cable is compatible then the only thing you'd have to do is unplug the big connector on the Godzilla LCD and run it to the similar connection on the Elvira board.

The LCDs have two connections going into them. The smaller connector (in the middle of the LCD back side) doesn't need to be swapped at all, that connection can still come from the Elvira board (assuming that connection isn't your original problem). It's just the big connector that sends the data for what shows up on the screen.

#16163 5 months ago
Quoted from Buckeye82:

Got it, I'll give it try. Thanks for the suggestion. I also missed the Christmas achievement on EHOH, I feel like such a loser.

Lol nah, the good news is you'll have another chance at the Christmas one soon.

Note I just edited my post above after re-reading it. I'd typed to unplug the GZ connection and run it to the Elvira LCD. But I should have said run it to the Elvira board.

Happy Halloween!!!

#16170 5 months ago
Quoted from TPMF:

V1.07.0 - October 31, 2023
=====================
- Game changes
- Blood Red Kiss Limited Edition
- For Blood Red Kiss Limited Edition machines.
- Unique Blood Red Kiss attract mode and splash screens.
- Exclusive Blood Red Kiss game start speech.
- Added exclusive Elvira 40th Anniversary game start speech.
- Added Pew-Pew-Pew mode.
- How to Start: Collect and use three ray guns from the action button.
This lights up the left ramp/trunk.
Shoot the left ramp/trunk to start.
- How to Play: All switches "pew" for a limited amount of time.
When certain numbers of "pews" are achieved, "pew" scores are increased.
- Added newly recorded Elvira in-game speech.
- Added new Gargoyle UI animations.
- Modified "Junk in the Trunk" item icons in the main UI to increase legibility.
- Modified "Junk in the Trunk" item effects to be higher values.
- Modified "Junk in the Trunk" item collection to give currently highlighted items upon 36-24-36 completion.
- Modified Ray Gun action button usage to be on a 5 second delay. This change is related to Pew-Pew-Pew addition.
- Modified Haunt mode lights so the house and cellar lights up the shot arrow similar to the haunt color.
- Modified Haunt mode lights to be more consistent with the intended haunt colors.
- Modified Extra Ball award to hold the ball in the house.
- Modified Director's Cut light to blink during Director's Cut.
- Fixed some Elvira speech issues where she would speak after cancel-out.
- Fixed Attic Attack Multiball intro speech to match the movie being played.
- Fixed an issue where Director's Cut completion did not award 100 million points upon completion.
- Fixed an issue where They Came From Space completion did not award 100 million points upon completion.
- Fixed an issue where Elvira would speak over Game Over Match Award.
- Fixed an issue where Market Value interrupted the final shots of modes.
- Fixed an issue where Market Value reset its score prematurely when
it was available to collect but before being awarded
- Fixed a soft lock that occurred when the game was tilted during director's cut.
- System changes
- Updated to System V3.50
- Updated to nodeboard firmware/protocol v1.12.0
- Conagent v1.0.14
- Various behind the scenes improvements for correctness and performance.
- If Home Team menu is present, a popup window will make you confirm a game start when no user was selected.
- Added Verified Location with checkmark when appropriate to attract mode Coin and Login screens.

What a great Halloween treat!!!!

#16213 5 months ago

Just played Pew Pew Pew for the first time and got 43.6M on it. Stacked it with WW MB. Fun ripping the spinner on it.

#16219 5 months ago

This feels like a pretty pointless update. The gargoyle thing is .... ok? Don't see the point of it. Pew pew pew, this has promise but getting three ray guns is not that common. But at least something new that is kind of neat.
New call outs, I've heard maybe one so far after a bunch of games.
Also I really hate that they changed the cellar ball launch timing. Now there is a good one to two second delay from a ball entering and launching out of the cellar, it feels weird after all these years of it being so snappy in how it launched balls back.
Guess I was hoping for more but can't, also in some modes noticing the coloring on some arrows are now off. Like in Manos the flashing arrow coloration on some arrows would randomly be wrong and not the correct sequence as the others, so it feels like they broke some stuff here. Have seen in in a couple modes where one arrow would lose the flashing sequence and be just strobing one color in what is supposed to be a multicolor flash sequence.
And then after all this time, still not fixing the broken video clip sequence in TBTWD

I'm also not liking the new arrow insert changes, especially the change to make the house arrow the same color as the mode shots instead of white like it was previously.

It had been white for a reason and it worked very well as a good road sign for what was going on in the mode.

Previously when you saw a white arrow at the house it meant you had an option to either press your luck and continue going for colored mode shots to boost scoring or instead bail out when ready and shoot for the white arrow at the house to move to the next phase of the mode.

Now the house arrow just looks like any other mode shot but a lot of times that is not how the shot functions, so it's misleading.

I also agree about the new timing of the Cellar ball launch. Unnecessary change. Threw me off in multiball. Kicking the ball back to the player in the previous code worked great.

As with the change to the house arrow color, the cellar kickout is a case of fixing something that wasn't broken.

#16220 5 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

I sincerely hope everyone will send an e-mail to [email protected] asking for this to be changed back the way it was.

Yes, I think they need to change that house arrow back to white (or at least use some different color than the current mode) in order for the shot to be identified as a shot to go for in order to advance to the next phase of the mode.

Sending an e-mail is a good idea. And maybe on facebook too. The more they hear from people the more likely they might be to correct their mistake on this one. Maybe they'd correct it for the next code update. Seems like there's at least one more on the way.

#16227 5 months ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

I made it to pew pew pew. Nice little frenzy with pew pew call outs. 20k per switch hit with pop up on screen.
The arrow colors are more stupid now because the white house indicator for final shot is just mode color now. So you cannot distinguish between mode shot and final house shot...
The timer on cellar is not bothering me but i would appreciate a setting as i think i like the quick return better.
The new junk collection logic is strange. So it basically awards one piece if you complete 36-24-36 and then that same piece again for shooting the left ramp. So its double the items as before...
What is the purpose of more than 1 skeleton keys? Can the secret room be played multiple times? Or need to complete all other rooms first? I think i could not choose the secret room again...
How does ray gun and the 5s delay actually work? I dont fully get that total raygun feature

This is from the .93 code release notes: "The SANTA CLAUS haunt is available when two SKELETON KEYS have been collected."

The number of skeleton keys also factors into bonus scoring.

Ray gun spots a shot. 5 second delay for Ray gun just means you have to wait 5 seconds after pressing the button before you can use another Ray gun button press.

#16259 5 months ago
Quoted from JJDK:

Downloaded new code. Do not see anything new. Do not see pew pew mode? How do you get it?

It's explained in the ReadMe notes for the code update here:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/324#post-7844814

#16260 5 months ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

The ray gun is a bonus points multiplier in "phone a fiend" so using them to start 'pew, pew, pew' does cost you some points later. Is it a worthwhile tradeoff? I don't know. I only ever used the Ray Gun to prolong a haunt if it was going to time out.
Rob

I stacked it with WWMB last night and got 43M for the Pew mode score. Had it up to 95k per switch hit at the end, so spinner rips going into pops were pretty juicy at that point.

#16273 5 months ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

How to increase the points per switch hit in pew pew?

I don't know for sure, but it seemed like the points per switch probably increased in levels. It went from 10k to I think 35k per switch. Then I looked up again and it was at 95k per switch. So I'm guessing that after x number of hits the points increase.

#16279 5 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

[quoted image]
Unfortunately, they don't tell us how many switch hits. I also couldn't find the PEW PEW PEW settings in the menu. Hopefully, they'll be added in the next update. That should tell us the number.

Playing last night, I started PPP inside House Party. Pews got up to 55k fairly quickly thanks to the pops. Unfortunately, I never saw text showing the PPP point total.

Yeah it would be good if they added text showing the mode total in game. I didn't notice it happen after the mode ended. I just saw my Pew total when the screen came up to enter initials for the mode high score after the game ended.

#16285 5 months ago
Quoted from toaster777:

As SKWilson has said, everyone should email [email protected] about the house lighting change for end of modes. I did. The more of us that do hopefully they revert that change because right now it's worse.

Sent

#16320 5 months ago
Quoted from Rolsen99:

I am now having the house lock error most likely caused by the opto alignment. Problem is that I can’t seem to get it aligned. I have pulled it apart and nothing seems off. There is some play in the receiver side, but no adjustment seems to fix it. Unplugging the opto removed the message.
Do optos go bad? Pablo has been helpful with a couple of the other issues, and hope to get a fix from him soon. Just want to get this machine running again! Any thoughs?[quoted image]

Have you confirmed that the opto transmitter and receiver are both working? You can check the transmitter by looking at it with your phone camera. You can’t see the light with your eye, but if you use the camera to look at the lens of the transmitter then you should see it lit.

If the transmitter is working, then I’d say un-mount the transmitter and/or receiver and get them into position closer to each other where you have no doubt that the receiver should be getting the beam.

This process of elimination should give you an idea as to whether it’s the transmitter, receiver, or alignment causing the problem.

#16341 5 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

Genuine question, do any other spike 2 games shoot as smoothly as Elvira? I have all the Elwin games and yes, they have great flow if you can hit the shots, they're just harder to hit. I really enjoy the easier shots on Elvira, while still having modern depth code. Would love to add something similar to my collection

I love Elvira and I think it shoots really, really great. But I'd have to put AIQ at the top of my list for shooting layouts. You can keep the ball moving through shots for days in different directions on that layout. Other elements of AIQ - weak callouts and the code getting a bit grindy after Soul Gem mode - put Elvira ahead of it as a complete package for my preference though.

1 week later
#16498 5 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

What is different about this then what was already in the game?

Quoted from WizzardRob:

The turret functionality

And a new mode that wasn't in the game before.

#16502 5 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Ok. Cool!
I don't own the game yet so I am just trying to figure some of what has been added here.
Thanks
ps. Did they fix the insert lighting or whatever people were bitching about on the last code update?

There’s a mention of it the ReadMe file. So it looks like they did something on it.

#16511 5 months ago
Quoted from John-from-PA:

Only had time to put 5 minutes on v1.8 - but good news - v1.7 lighting changes and the house lock eject delay seem to be reverted back/fixed - which is awesome.

That is great news! Very cool that the team thought about and responded to feedback from the last update.

#16528 5 months ago

Any time you get a key it will spin.

Quoted from WizzardRob:

Can multiple secret room modes be played in one game? Otherwise collecting more keys and turret movement after the mode has been played is almost meaningless (except for backdoor bonus value)

I just tested the new locked room & key rules with the glass off. What I'm seeing for the way haunts are now chosen in the locked room is really not good. It now seems to be a super linear assignment of which haunt you play in the locked room.

It was random in the old code so you'd have about an equal chance to play any of the 3 haunts when you went to the locked room.

But now which haunt you play is strictly assigned based on how many keys you're holding when you start the locked room.

- The first key you collect means you will play Santa.
- If you hold 2 keys it means you will play Gila Monster.
- If you have 3 keys it means you will play Dracula.
- If you have 4 keys it means you will play Eegah.

- And then it loops back around again so if you have 5 keys then you're back to getting Santa. 6th key means Gila, 7th key means Dracula, 8th key means Eegah, etc.

SO THIS MEANS SANTA WILL LIKELY BE PLAYED MUCH, MUCH MORE THAN ANY OF THE OTHER LOCKED HAUNTS.

For most people, including me (and I get deep into the game regularly), when you earn a piece of junk you immediately lock the ball because it's too risky to keep going for the 36-24-36 targets.

So most of the time when you play the locked room you'll be holding 1 key, which means you'll only be playing Santa a huge percentage of the time.

Sure you can play Trunk Multiball to try to get more keys by hitting super jackpots. But with the way super jackpots award pieces it's very unlikely you'll come out of that multiball with the exact number of keys you want for a certain haunt.

I think they need to either:
1) Go back to making it random haunt assignment in the locked room, or
2) Come up with a way to enable the choice of which unlocked haunt you're going to play in the locked room (either by hitting a target to spin the turret or by just choosing with a button press after you shoot the house).

The 4 locked room haunts need to all have a good chance to be played on a regular basis. Otherwise it's no fun having locked room haunts that you won't often get to play, and you end up only playing Santa in that room most of the time. With the way they've set it up, Eegah will not be played very often.

It's great that the code team took feedback and adjusted a couple things after the last update. I really, really hope they reconsider how they've done this also, because it's a big impact on the game.

#16536 5 months ago
Quoted from Wariodolby:

First time I ever heard a swear word from this game, was after the update.
I think it was jar head said something like “fucked up like a left handed football”
Has that always been there?

Yes

#16539 5 months ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

It would be good if there was an adjustment in the settings that can make the locked room random or default - then players get to choose which way they want the modes setup

Quoted from KlownHammer:

Really appreciated this thoughtful exposition and you hit on some major issues. SOOOO impressed with the Stern crew breathing even more life into what is, for me, one of the most perfectly delivered pinball packages of all time. Makes it all the more important not to mess with what works -but I understand theres a fine line with the need to push limits to implement new stuff. Clearly they are looking at feedback and that is key. Ty Stern -
On the skeleton key -my own 2 cents is that a skeleton key is fundamentally a key that unlocks any door in the house so being able to choose in some way would be soooooo satisfying and intuitive. All the same, cant wsit to try this all out!

Yep I think for anyone who thinks it would be good for them to take another look at how they’ve implemented this, it would be good to post here in the forum and send an email to their bug report address requesting it.

It was awesome that they reconsidered a couple changes after the last update and hopefully they consider this also.

I just think changing the locked haunts in a linear way that drastically changes how often each haunt will be played is bad for the game.

I just played a bunch of games with the sole focus of trying to start Eegah by lighting skeleton key and then collecting 4 of them. It’s very difficult to do and it’s not fun to have to keep shooting at the trunk targets to do it.

After about 15 tries, I got the mode once on ball 3 in a game. It’s just tough to survive that many shots at the trunk targets.

If they leave it the way it is then I don’t think Eegah will be played very often. And even Dracula and Gila Monster won’t be played too often.

#16541 5 months ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Thank you for ferreting this out so quickly. Im going to send an email tonight because these updates are coming fast right now. The more I think about it; if it were at all feasible; tieing the skeleton key into to a player controlled turet turn to choose would be amazing but I have NO idea what would work to do that (kinda like the window lights). Or, as mentioned, even random would be better off.

Yeah, player control would be nice.

The way it’s in code now just doesn’t make sense to me in that even if you hold multiple keys you’re locked into playing one particular haunt.

If they don’t want to do random selection or a button push for choice, here’s one player control idea I just noodled that would bring pinball shots into the process:

What if when a key is collected, one of the 4 haunts is randomly assigned to it, and hits to the Wild Market Value target would rotate the turret between collected keys to change the locked haunt that would start? It could work like this:

1) Collect 1st key. One of the 4 haunts is randomly assigned to it. Let’s say it’s Gila Monster. Turret spins to the Spider side. If the locked room is started, then it’s Gila Monster, otherwise

2) Collect a 2nd key. One of the remaining 3 haunts is assigned to it. Let’s say Eegah. Turret rotates to Elvira Scream side.

3) Now each hit of the Wild Market Target causes the turret to rotate from the Spider side to the Scream Side until the locked room is started. Whichever side it’s on is the room that starts.

If a 3rd key is collected, then Wild Market hits would rotate the turret between the three haunts randomly assigned to those 3 keys. Same thing for 4 or more keys being held.

It’s just an idea, but it seems like it could work for any number of keys being held and it would make it so all 4 haunts have a pretty equal chance of being played, while also allowing an element of skill to play a part.

And it would mean that there would be a correlation between the number of keys you hold and the number of haunts you can possibly play.

#16547 5 months ago

Isnt the turret random based on what you play? Or does it always reset to same spot when you start a game?

There's no randomness in the way they've set it up. Holding one key means the Eyeball side of the turret faces forward, and that's always the Santa haunt.

With the way this has been implemented, in order to play any haunt besides Santa you have to actively avoid the left ramp once you've collected a key. Then you have to keep collecting keys by hitting the trunk targets. Or you can collect additional keys in Trunk multiball.

But the main problem is that which haunt you play is specifically determined by how many keys you're holding. There isn't a choice or random assignment in the process other than to try to be holding the exact number of keys you need in order to play the haunt you'd like.

To play Eegah you'd need to be holding exactly 4 keys, 8 keys, 12 keys etc. But the process of trying to get an exact number of keys makes gameplay not fun at all.

#16549 5 months ago
Quoted from WizzardRob:

Can you confirm that the turret light is almost always off? It lights during full rotation on game start and garage lock, otherwise its off. The face is hard to see that way

Yes, right now they've only set it to light up when you have the locked room flashing on the house. If you hit the flippers and change the lit room then the turret goes dark again.

But it would be good to have it lit any time you're holding a key and haven't played the locked room haunt though. That way you'd always see what haunt you'll be playing when you go into the locked room.

#16566 5 months ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Sargent dead head seems to have been censored by some default in the new code and I dont see where any kind of family mode can be turned off .. he now says "F-ing" ...wondering if "bat sh-it crazy" was sniped too -hoping these havent be removed

That's not good. Sarge's callouts are great and should be left as they were. Hope they haven't changed.

#16567 5 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

They really need to just revert whatever changes they made to the mode lighting. Last update fixed some things but not everything and seems to have broken other lighting. I don’t know what they thought they were trying to improve but it was perfect as it was.

Yeah, adding things like Pew Pew Pew and Eegah modes is awesome. I love that they're doing it. But I don't see the need to change some stuff that was already good in code like the insert lighting on existing modes and the timing of the crypt kickout.

#16619 5 months ago
Quoted from KlownHammer:

Yep -took a while during game play to get the right combo of 4 keys but finally got into Eegah too. Fun new mode! Do you feel like its setup ok or would randomizing the 4 modes be better? Or some way for the player to choose between the 4 rooms or keys? Its doable.. just a little unintuitive
On another front, I can at least confirm the "bat shit crazy" call is still very much in the game : ) so I think its just the Sargent F bomb that was changed to "F-ing". When the movie clips are assembled into a trailer END of game, I did, however, notice a bit of awesome Broll that Id never seen before.. theres this scene where a bare breasted broad it sitting in bed (!) .. only thing is they got a small blur-box over her breasts. Anyone know if thats new? What do we gotta do to get the heavy petting and Fbombs uncensored outta this game?? Lmao

Yep that clip was in there before. I know I've seen it when one of the Gappa Angry MBs starts. I think it was Makeout Mayhem.

#16639 5 months ago
Quoted from docquest:

Was very excited to hear about the update with the pew pew and Eeaagh additions bit some of the changes make the game less fun. The insert lighting changes during haunts, making callouts more PG rated, making secret room be a linear progression, etc make the game worse.
I really hope they have an update to make the secret room be selectable by player or at least randomized. I can't believe Lyman would have wanted it to be a static linear progression that's the same every game. Can you image if the deadheads played in the same order every game.

If you haven't already, send an e-mail to the Stern bug report address asking them to change how they've implemented the locked room haunts with the new Eegah mode addition. If they don't hear from people that the new system with the keys is not well liked, then they'll be less inclined to change it.

#16753 4 months ago
Quoted from Herkbubba:

Hello! Taking delivery of EHOH-BRK tomorrow.
I have tried searching, and made it up to page 19 of 336 on this thread, and I don’t know how to actually search “within” a thread. So it’s not for a lack of trying to find out myself.
Just wondering what the proper pitch is for this game. I have seen 6.5… 6.8… 7.0. Which one is correct?
Personal use / Home use only …
Also - from reading… I know about the dagger in the coin box. I know about the foam and zip ties under the playfield keeping gargoyles down… and I know that the gargoyles MIGHT hit the glass and if I don’t like it can adjust them.
But seeing I didn’t read through the other 317 pages on this thread, in addition to proper pitch level, can someone point me in the right direction on any other “gotchas” I might need to know about?
Thanks in advance!

Whether you're on a phone or PC, you'll see "Topic Index (Key Posts) with a link for "Show Topic Index" at the top of every page. I'd suggest starting there to see some of the main things.

For searching a forum, if you're on a PC then at the top right of every forum page (below the icons for "favorite" "subscribe" and "unvisit") you'll see two boxes to use for searching. One is for keywords and the other is to search for a specific Pinsider's comments. On a phone at the top of every forum page there will be a dropdown arrow that says "Find in Topic". Click that to keyword search a forum.

#16820 4 months ago
Quoted from NoSkills:

I appreciate this reply but I think we are talking about different areas as I can’t see where I could do this in the area I’m talking about. It’s hard to get a pic of it but I’m talking about a stuck ball where the red mark is.
Does anyone have a solution for that or is it just expected occasionally? Thanks[quoted image]

I haven't had a stuck ball at that spot. Have you checked that the game is level both at the flippers and up higher near the house ramp? If it's level, then maybe a little steeper pitch will prevent it.

#16850 4 months ago
Quoted from Pinbolls:

Do you know where the original post explaining how to do the Velcro for the House rejects is located?

I don’t know if this is the original post explaining it, but here’s the one I used as reference.

#16903 4 months ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

Thank you. Yeah, I now have a couple of layers down. When I went through the manual, I was hoping to find an adjustment like the Godzilla building.

The house motor diagram is on Page 53. The motor triggers two micro switches. One switch signals the machine that the ramp is up and one signals that the ramp has arrived at down. I'm wondering if it would help to adjust the leaf on the micro switch that indicates the down position so that the button on the switch gets pushed a bit sooner. That might then stop the motor sooner, which would keep the ramp from closing too hard. Might be worth a try to adjust the leaf.

Here are pictures from mine showing the position of the motor in the up and down positions. Yellow circles show the micro switches. Hope this helps.

IMG_6137 (resized).jpegIMG_6137 (resized).jpegIMG_6136 (resized).jpegIMG_6136 (resized).jpeg
#16913 4 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

It's super hard to hit on mine, like I can't do it through normal play. I was only actually able to do it once out of about 5 to 7 tries by rolling the ball with my hand. I mean I almost had to literal like barely roll it in there. I am going to looking into decreasing the pitch tomorrow and make super the game is level cause something does not seem right. Besides all this... Every so many games a ball is getting trapped somewhere in the area between the house and the left ramp. When it happens, I can't see it for the life of me. The ball search will not find it and I can shake the game till I tilt it, it will not come free. The only way I can find it is by removing the glass and tipping the pf ever so slightly. I probably have to go back through the thread as I am sure someone has had this issue but any ideas before I do? Anyone??

I had the same issue on mine. I put several cabinet bumpers under the left ramp. One rectangular. Two circular together. And one circular with a smaller circular on top of it. Took some trial and error lol. But I don’t get stuck balls around there anymore. Here’s a pic.

IMG_6898 (resized).jpegIMG_6898 (resized).jpeg
#16915 4 months ago
Quoted from johnny5:

My gargoyles stick up when hit and sometimes don't register

When you say they don't register, do you mean the game isn't giving you credit for hitting the gargoyle? If so, that's a separate issue from the gargoyle getting stuck up.

If the shot isn't registering then you need to adjust the target switch behind the gargoyle strike plate.

#16919 4 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

So I need to be prepared. Is Santa vs the martians special only on Christmas day when I play?

There’s one achievement for completing the mode in December and a separate achievement for completing it on Dec 25

#16923 4 months ago
Quoted from johnny5:

Yeah game is not realizing that the ball is hitting target and give credit.

Then I'd suggest taking the glass off to see if the target registers when you press it with your fingers. If it registers by pressing it with your finger, then you'll need to adjust the switch so it will register for a ball strike.

If it doesn't register by pressing with your finger then it could still be that it just needs to be adjusted, or there might be a wiring issue/bad connection somewhere on it.

#16951 4 months ago

Someone correct me if I wrong please. I think I read somewhere that during the month of December Satna/Martians was the default mode for the secret window? As opposed to it being a random secret haunt? Does that sound right?

I don't remember if it's the default, but I'm pretty sure it was at least rigged so that there was a much better chance of getting the Santa/Martians mode as the locked room in December.

#16952 4 months ago
Quoted from VisitorQ:

Not sure but I know someone was saying now that if you collect one key or something it is the first haunt you play. I believe it is the easier one of the four(?) to get to.

Correct, in the new (bad) coding if you have one key when you go into the locked room you will always get SCTM mode year-round. I haven't played to see if they overrode the previous code where it's more likely in December, but if you go in with one key on the new code you'll get it (again, unless they've left bits of the previous code in that made it "more likely").

Who knows at this point with the way they've forked how the locked room works.

1 week later
#17120 4 months ago

Sorry, struggling with this a little bit when you say the far right window is lit, there are 3 far right windows. Which window do I want to be lit?and is the sequence, hit the key with the correct window lit, then shoot the house for Santa conquers the Martians?

It’s the widow to the right of the 3 windows on the right that you’re referring to. It won’t light until you have a key.

So sequence is get a key at the trunk targets, then start a mode at that window like any other by having the ball go in the house when that room is lit.

#17169 4 months ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

My trunk decal was curling too, I put some superglue on a toothpick and applied it underneath, on both the prem and LE we have now.

Yep, trunk decal has been an issue from the beginning.

#17206 4 months ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I'm definitely not a fan of this rule because I think it's a kludge. Collecting junk is meant to be earned from getting the ball in the trunk. That is why the animations are the way they are. Also, collecting junk was never supposed to be 'easy' either because it has other scoring perks.
The player can still be locked out of getting certain junk items because each trunk multiball focuses on 2 junk items only. So if you play a trunk multiball and don't get enough keys or ray guns, you are screwed out of getting 'pew pew pew' or a particular secret haunt you want. This is why the new qualification method for the secret haunts is a bad idea and that maybe goes for 'pew pew pew' as well. It needs to be thought out better IMHO.
(screwed until you play through 'phone-a-fiend' and then do another trunk multiball, or a second trunk multiball after that!!)
Rob

Yep, and if you haven’t already send this to the Stern bug report email. Hopefully hearing it from as many people as possible will lead to them fixing it.

1 week later
#17290 3 months ago

I thought all EHOH pins come with IC installed. Is that not the case?

All new builds have it. The game predates IC though so older builds didn’t have it included from the factory.

#17365 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

All you have to do is hit 1 target while key is lit, then the other two to get a key. One of the easiest things to do in the game.

I think he’s referring to getting the exact number of keys to start a specific locked room mode, such as the Eegah mode. It’s very clunky to attempt and pretty difficult to do it.

#17385 3 months ago

Does turret position tell which movie is lit for the secret room?

Yes, it does now. Didn't before but in the new code that's the way they've done it. Now each key you get rotates the turret. The "Read Me" file with the code release notes explained it.

#17392 3 months ago

I wish they'd make it so you need one just hit the key target again to rotate the turret. I've seen Gila Monster about fifty times and the other ones maybe once or twice each since the update.

Yep, this is the HUGE downside with how they implemented it when they added the Eegagh mode. If you haven’t already, send a bug report to Stern asking them to change how they’ve done it so all 4 modes in the locked room will be playable more equally.

#17418 3 months ago
Quoted from sretooh:

I'm getting a lot of SDTM ball drains when the ball leaves the pop bumbers (left exit). Is this just the way the game plays? It's very frustrating! I searched this thread and found one solution was to install a permanent pinball wedged in the rubber by the left exit. Not fond of doing that but wanted to ask others for advice. Thanks!

It’s definitely a danger spot in the game. It’s up to you whether you want to do something to change it. No right or wrong answer. Set it up to whatever you’ll enjoy.

#17432 3 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Could be - all I know is it seems like it takes a million shots & never ends…and according to the IC stats, I’m not the only one who can’t finish it. Seems like a bug rather than intentional.

It's one of the longer modes in the game, but as SKWilson described it's pretty straightforward in how it works. Hit a few shots, then the house ramp lights to advance to Phase 2. Phase 2 is hitting every shot 1 time. Then house lights to get to Phase 3. Phase 3 is each ramp once, then hit house to complete the mode. Not super easy to complete it though.

3 weeks later
#17714 82 days ago
Quoted from Darkstar_otbco:

Hi everyone two questions:
Can someone link the type of nut on the bottom of the gargoyle leaper? It has come loose and I can’t find it in the cabinet
Also, on my Elvira there isn’t enough strength to make a backhand shot to the left ramp after the ball is completely stopped. Any recommendations on what to do?
Thank you in advance

If you can't find a nut, just wrapping a bunch of tape thick enough around the same spot will also act as a blocker on the Gargoyle rod. It'll do the same thing, which is to prevent the rod from going higher through the slot at that point.

For the flipper power, there are a few things to check:
1) What's your playfield pitch? Is it above 7.0
2) What's your left flipper power setting? Is it below the default setting?
3) Is there something going on with the flipper mech? There are several things you can check on the mech itself:
- If you move both the right and left flipper by hand does the left feel like it has more resistance?
- When you press both flipper buttons at the same time does the left lag slightly behind the right flipper?
- Is the coil stop rivet secure or is it loose?
- How many plays has it been since you changed the coil sleeve?

#17719 81 days ago
Quoted from Darkstar_otbco:

Thank you

I haven’t changed the coil or flipper mechs. Game is about 1 year old or so. Default settings.
I took measurements of pitch. Ball stops about 90% of the way up
The left flipper felt a bit more resistant than the right
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

If the left flipper feels a bit more resistant than the right, that could be the issue. First thing to check would be the flipper gap between the bottom of the flipper and the playfield. You want about a credit card width of space between the flipper and the playfield so the flipper isn't dragging on the playfield. If the gap isn't the problem, then lift the playfield up into the service position and your hands on the levers on the underside of the flipper mechs to move both flippers at the same time. Compare how they feel and look to see what might be different on the right vs. the left.

You're pitch might also be a slight factor. I have mine at 6.8 by the extra ball insert. When I first start playing I can hit the backhand easily, but then after an hour or so a bit of flipper power fade sets in. The backhand becomes noticeably weaker and can start to have only just enough to get through the left ramp. So those couple extra decimals of pitch that yours is at could come into play there.

1 week later
#17726 72 days ago
Quoted from simpswho:

Hello everyone, looking for some help. my game while playing will start the glass clinking noise from the ramp modes all on its own at different times during play and goes crazy fast flashing on the screen and audio, it seems to be registering still when making the shot also the score runs continuously upward when this happens, Could the SD card be causing this?

Most likely a ramp opto is out of alignment. Go into active switch test or regular switch test to see which one it is.

#17761 67 days ago

I don't understand Manster. The mode never friggin ends it feels like. There is no indicator flashing shot that points out a required progression shot, everything is lit the same and it just keeps going and going. I don't get it.

Off the top of my head, I think this is the progression on it:
1) All shots lit. Hit 3 or 4 shots, then the house ramp lights. You can continue hitting shots or hit the house to move to the next phase of the mode.
2) Next mode phase. All shots lit. Hit every shot once to un-light it. Then the house ramp lights to advance to the next phase.
3) Next mode phase. Left and right ramp are lit. Hit each one once to un-light it, then the house ramp lights for final shot to finish the mode.

Again, that's off the top of my head without testing on the game to double check it. But I think that the gist of it. You can remain in Phase 1 forever if you want to by hitting shots to build shot values without hitting the house ramp to go to Phase 2.

#17793 64 days ago
Quoted from pinballpenguin:

Thanks for the reply - just tested it with the glass off and when it is working (i.e. able to start the mode through the center house shot), the house holds the ball properly when a mode is complete. I'm just not sure what leads to the machine not working and unable to start the mode in the first place...
Edit: here’s a recording of the issue

You can see in the video that the diverter isn't up. Hear that "clink" sound when the ball bounces off it after it goes through the house? The diverter behind the house needs to be up to let the ball go into the subway behind the backboard.

That's why the ball is kicking out to the left instead of going through the backboard into the subway. The ball needs to go into the subway and trigger the opto in there to start a mode.

Here’s where the diverter should be to let the ball in (see circled area in pic showing diverter raised)

IMG_7051 (resized).jpegIMG_7051 (resized).jpeg

#17795 64 days ago
Quoted from pinballpenguin:

Thanks for the reply - just tested it with the glass off and when it is working (i.e. able to start the mode through the center house shot), the house holds the ball properly when a mode is complete. I'm just not sure what leads to the machine not working and unable to start the mode in the first place...
Edit: here’s a recording of the issue

Quoted from VisitorQ:

Yeah I bet the coil for the diverter is getting stuck in the cut out possibly? I had this problem on mine where the ball would eject out into the pops all the time in stead of staying locked in the house. If this is the case, all you need to do is a simple adjustment around the back of the backboard and make sure that coil plunger is not getting hung up where it passes through the subway back there.

Diverter is moved by a motor, not a coil. It uses the same motor as the crypt and the house ramp. The problem in this case is the diverter not being up and the ball not going into the subway. The ball has to get into the subway to start a mode by triggering the opto in the subway.

There was a similar issue on one I helped work on a couple weeks ago. For that one, we took the house off, took the diverter plate off, and tested the motor in the menu test for the motor. With the diverter plate off the motor hit its up and down positions in the test, but with the plate on it didn't. Checked for binding caused by the plate and added a very small bit of silicon lube and it resolved it.

1 week later
#17833 51 days ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

I need you guys help I’m trading in my mando and can either get a decked out JP pro or an Elvira LE…
Is the limited edition worth the upgrade ?
Is this game easy medium or hard does it have lasting appeal any info you could feed me I’ll gladly take!
My gut is saying get the elvira LE; it would costs lot more than the JP but JP is common game tbh is is a more rare LE someone knock some sense into me ..
How’s game playing fun factor going m going again tmrw to play it
Thank you so much for. Any feedback i appreciate you

What’s the price on the Elvira LE when you factor in your Mando trade value plus additional cash?

#17835 51 days ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

My mando has 3k plays ; so I think he’s pricing mando at 4500-5000 credit and pricing Elvira LE around 10.5-11
I don’t know details yet going in tmmrw but it will probably cost me 5k to get with the trade

Both are great games. My Elvira and JP aren’t going anywhere. Lots of factors to take into consideration, and really it just boils dow to the fact that you’ll need to see what machine and deal you’re happiest with.

Think about things like:

- Is the seller offering any warranty on issues after sale? I know the distributor I buy from often includes warranty on used games 3-4 years old.
- Do you like the gameplay of Elvira or JP more?
- What’s the condition of the each one and how well does it play?
-Take time to learn what some common issues are on Elvira and JP machines and see if those things are present in either of these machines.

Biggest thing is to not rush the decision. Take time to learn about both machines and go with what will make you happiest. There are plenty of both games available, so no need to worry about missing out.

#17837 51 days ago
Quoted from BrokenChair:

m
JP would cost me 2k
Evlirw would be around 6.5-7 out of my budget guess JP it is

JP is a fun game. And it made me improve my skills a lot. You really couldn’t go wrong with either one.

#17886 47 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I have to agree. The last Lyman update is where the code should have stopped. The secret room changes are a huge step back, and lazy coding

I’m glad they added Pew Pew Pew and Eegah modes. Just wish they hadn’t made the locked room so clunky based on the number of keys you hold. Would be better to have kept it random.

#17891 47 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

And to support the requirements of needing more keys for pew and eegah, they simply added a kludge where the targets award junk as well. The problem with that is you still can only collect 2 types of junk per trunk multiball. So if you don't collect enough keys, you're (still) screwed. Actually even more screwed now (for playing the secret haunts) with how the keys and turret works.
Plus the haunt insert lighting wasn't broken, but someone strangely thought it was and now it is (still) broken.
I've probably said too much and pissed some people off, but the truth is that I was really disappointed with these code updates. It made me want to sell my game because I don't like the changes and when I tried to help, well.... It was just more disapointment.
Rob

Yep.

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Don’t get me wrong, I think the modes being added was good, but the change in behavior for the keys makes the game less fun, and IMO the modes dont make up for it

And "Yep" to this too

1 month later
#18071 7 days ago
Quoted from Jagrmaister:

One question, everything working great but is that left orbit shot supposed to bleed down mostly into the left slingshot? Seems to hit the sling and pop it over to the right flipper often and wondering if it need adjustment or as intended. [quoted image]

If your machine is a more recent run (2021 or newer) then the ball guide screw at the start of the left orbit has a horseshoe shaped opening which allows you to loosen it, nudge the end of the ball guide out a bit, and then retighten the screw.

#18113 2 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

What's your favorite haunt and why?
I think I like "The Brain That Wouldn't Die" the most because it has some pretty great scenes and dialogue. I believe it also has the most shots out of all the haunts, especially during the second chapter. Lyman purposely made this one really long, so enjoy it! (Yes, the video assets have an issue, but that will be fixed).
Dr: "Do I look like a maniac that goes around killing people?"
Elvira: "Yes you do!"
Rob

That “Yes you do” clip is so great.

I love all the modes, and the clips and callouts in them are used so well.

I really like the risk/reward built into both Werewolf and TBTWD. In both modes you can try to keep hitting shots to get a ton more points or choose to move to the next phase of the mode. When pushing your luck in TBTWD you hear the “Oh no not that!!!” clip with each shot as you hit shots for scoring instead of advancing the haunt.

And at the start of TBTWD “This crew tips the creep factor at about a 50… out of 10.”

It’s all so well done in this game.

#18115 2 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Speaking of clips, there is one that plays when "Drive Me Crazy" ends (I think) and it sounds very hillbilly. I have no idea what it is.
Rob

I’ve wondered what that clip says too. Haven’t been able to figure it out.

#18130 5 hours ago
Quoted from Mizzou0103:

Has there been any rumors about polishing up the Elvira code to create a more in-depth Wizard Mode? I'd love to add one to my collection, but the lack of a true final wizard mode has me on the fence.

If the simple fact that the end of the game isn’t a full mode would truly bother you, then other games are definitely a better pick for you.

I wouldn’t guess any chance above 0% for a final mode to ever be added to it. It’s Lyman’s last full game, the code and rules were really well done as is, and I’d be disappointed if they made a big change to his work by adding a final wizard mode “just because”.

The game is a blast to play and not super easy to get through, and for me those are the most important things for a game.

Yes the final shot is a hurry up that is based on building up its value throughout the game instead of it being a full mode. But that ties it into the theme of the game, which is trying to sell the house for a good price.

You’ve built the value up during the game, and now you have one shot to maximize that potential sale price. So really the entire game can be thought of as one big multi-multi-multi step wizard mode with a final shot to cash out the build up value.

And the game still has a couple of my favorite mini wizard modes in any game with Gappa Angry and They Came From Space.

And Director’s Cut is a pretty good mini wizard mode also, and it’s cleverly done in the way it lets you earn the same points you got in the 4 completed modes. So it creates an element of game strategy for what modes you play, what order you play them, and how much you try to max out points during those modes.

None of those three mini wiz modes are located at the very end of the game, but for me that’s not important.

Bottom line, all I can say is I really like good modes and good wizard modes, and I love this game. It’s outlasted some games I really liked in my lineup and it would still be the last one to go out of the games I currently have.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

18,500 (OBO)
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Trade
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider EaglePin.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club?tu=EaglePin and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.