• Also own Elvira and the Party Monsters 18 votes
    7%
  • Also own Scared Stiff 61 votes
    24%
  • I own all three now! 30 votes
    12%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 892 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

IMG_20200805_023644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023547 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023613 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023530 (resized).jpg
20200802_081458 (resized).jpg
20200802_081525 (resized).jpg
20200802_081901 (resized).jpg
house div 2 (resized).jpg
house div (resized).jpg
20200802_080338 (resized).jpg
mun code.gif
image (resized).jpg
elvtruck (resized).png
A4AD6BDC-E418-44CF-8574-805DD663E59F (resized).jpeg
ELVIRA SIDE BLADES 3pst (resized).jpg
instructions (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4395 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 88.
#4001 28 days ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

I was super excited about that feature as well! When there was nothing there like that, I just assumed I was misinterpreting what it was supposed to be. Here’s to hoping it’s just something not programmed yet?

I’ve been meaning to ask about the Trailer thing. I figured it might somehow be related to Trailer Trash mode at some point. But maybe not! I do love the post-game activity, especially the awesome effect when you get a match and the lightning strikes!

#4002 28 days ago
Quoted from steigerpijp:

I’ve taken out the house , couldnt find anything else but this plastic to adjust
Will report back if cutting this like yours has fixed it
Thx

Oh that’s the ticket!!!

Consecutive games of 470, 333 and 427 mil , plus a first zombie MB and Gappa and 3 heads killed

Makes all the difference using those multiballs

#4003 27 days ago

Ok shaker or no shaker in this one, thoughts.

#4004 27 days ago

Shaker in mine... very well integrated. Took some time to implement but it’s pretty great now.

#4005 27 days ago

I put a shaker in my EHoH. In my opinion, it’s a must have for any modern pin. However, with EHoH, I will admit it is not as impactful or thematic as a shaker is with a pin like TWD. With that being said, shaker’s are $100, which in pinball money is pocket change. I say go for it.

#4006 27 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I put a shaker in my EHoH. In my opinion, it’s a must have for any modern pin. However, with EHoH, I will admit it is not as impactful or thematic as a shaker is with a pin like TWD. With that being said, shaker’s are $100, which in pinball money is pocket change. I say go for it.

Yeah I guess it pretty much a no brainer at the cost point considering what some other mods sell for The other good thing to think about is we are still at 0.97 so maybe more shaker routines will be coming down the road, after all it's Lyman.

Thanks for the replies guys.

#4007 27 days ago

Anyone get a hold of Stern service recently? The 1800kickers number just plays a message that says they are still shut down. It tells you to email the parts.service address to get a hold of someone but it has been a week with no reply.

#4008 27 days ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

Anyone get a hold of Stern service recently? The 1800kickers number just plays a message that says they are still shut down. It tells you to email the parts.service address to get a hold of someone but it has been a week with no reply.

I read that in another thread that they are not answering due to Covid. Put on a mask and call again, maybe they will pick up if you have a mask on.

#4009 27 days ago

I'm hooked as is the wife, what an amazing game as is right now and still there is more to come. Love it.....

#4010 27 days ago

this game is so much fun, loving the music and the updates.

#4011 27 days ago
Quoted from NeilMcRae:

this game is so much fun, loving the music and the updates.

If you have a subwoofer hooked up, the lightning and thunder sound is incredible.

#4012 27 days ago

I hereby nominate vally lodge mistake for the best pinball callout of all time.

#4013 26 days ago

I did the VUK fix as prescribed by Stern a few days ago and now the VUK works perfectly. Finishing off deadheads make sense with a well timed action button press. Once dialed in this game is so much fun!

Are the rooms supposed to differ in difficulty that much? I found the teens with the ray guns much easier to finish than say Manos. That room takes like 20+ shots to complete!

Also I wish the gargoyles on the screen would react to gargoyle hits, or somehow show which ones are left to hit to indicate progress. Incredible game so far!

#4014 26 days ago

Can anyone fill me in on the action button in terms of function and when best to use? Seems like from jooky’s post you can use it to complete a mode? Thanks in advance.

#4015 26 days ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

Can anyone fill me in on the action button in terms of function and when best to use? Seems like from jooky’s post you can use it to complete a mode? Thanks in advance.

Think of it as a smart missile in other Stern games.

#4016 26 days ago
Quoted from UnholySpectacle:

I requested warranty parts over 6 weeks ago (I think). They did reply to email and agreed to send a leaper bracket, but not a house plastic. I still have not seen anything in the mail. At least I was able to fix my broken leaper with a hammer....

Rob

#4017 26 days ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

Think of it as a smart missile in other Stern games.

I find them most useful if a haunt is nearly timed out and I want to keep continuing it. If you avoid the 'continue' shots, you can really drag out the haunt story which is a lot of fun (and points!).

Ray Gun could use a lighting effect..

Rob

#4018 26 days ago
Quoted from jooky:

Are the rooms supposed to differ in difficulty that much? I found the teens with the ray guns much easier to finish than say Manos. That room takes like 20+ shots to complete!

yes, a good strategy is to start off with a shorter haunt (teens from space or night of the living dead) and lock a couple balls in the garage, then after finishing the shorter haunt, start the longer haunt next and then immediately start the multiball. that will help you get through the long haunt and then you get an extra ball for completing both haunts.

#4019 26 days ago

Has anyone installed the BriteButtons Illuminated Flipper Button Set in their machine? I'm a bit confuse where they want me to pull the power from, they make no mention of a plug number and their board looks in the instructions is different from the one in EHOH. Thought I'd ask before I blow something up lol.

#4020 26 days ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

Has anyone installed the BriteButtons Illuminated Flipper Button Set in their machine? I'm a bit confuse where they want me to pull the power from, they make no mention of a plug number and their board looks in the instructions is different from the one in EHOH. Thought I'd ask before I blow something up lol.

Never mind it's CN11 on the coin door board.

#4021 26 days ago

Just installed the plastic shooter protector from Mezel mods and it is great! It is inexpensive, easy to install (less than a minute), and protects the shooter lane. As I mentioned in a previous entry my pin had a chipped area in the shooter lane. My concern, of course was that with time the chipped area would grow and become unsightly. The plastic shooter protector not only covered the chipped area thereby eliminating the possibility of further damage, but also allows for the ball to flow freely into the game. Before the installation the ball would many times jump when it hit the metal ramp in the shooter lane. I recommend to anyone having a chipped shooter lane to install this protector.

#4022 26 days ago

I've had this pin for a few months now and am in love with it. It gets better with every update.

I have a couple questions. Please forgive is these are easily found somewhere but there is so much info out there in the wild:

1. I read that there was a Dead Head VAK fix released by Stern a few days ago. Where can I find this? As it is, the shot out of the Dead Head VAK is useless and frustrating.

2. A lot of times a plunge from the shooter lane will result in the ball hanging up on the gate that is above the pops and just inside the entrance to lane to behind the house. I have to shake the game to let the ball roll free of the gate and drop into the pops. It seems to lay down against the ball guide and behind the flap of the gate. I've tried to bend the flap to make it higher to let the ball roll out easier. I also removed the ball guide to try to bend a little steeper angle into it. It's really horizontally flat back there. In addition I raised the playing angle of the game to let gravity help pull the ball out. These things only helped a little. The ball now only gets stuck back there about half as much. Still unacceptable. Anybody else have this issue or does someone have a fix?

3. I have an older shaker motor I've had for years. I know they are now sold for about $100 but why pay if I have one? Is their instructions available on where to hook a shaker motor into the wiring harness behind the coin door? Is there a plug already available to use or do I have to cut the motor's wiring into the harness myself?

Thanks in advance!
Dave Schulpius

#4023 26 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

I've had this pin for a few months now and am in love with it. It gets better with every update.
I have a couple questions. Please forgive is these are easily found somewhere but there is so much info out there in the wild:
1. I read that there was a Dead Head VAK fix released by Stern a few days ago. Where can I find this? As it is, the shot out of the Dead Head VAK is useless and frustrating.
2. A lot of times a plunge from the shooter lane will result in the ball hanging up on the gate that is above the pops and just inside the entrance to lane to behind the house. I have to shake the game to let the ball roll free of the gate and drop into the pops. It seems to lay down against the ball guide and behind the flap of the gate. I've tried to bend the flap to make it higher to let the ball roll out easier. I also removed the ball guide to try to bend a little steeper angle into it. It's really horizontally flat back there. In addition I raised the playing angle of the game to let gravity help pull the ball out. These things only helped a little. The ball now only gets stuck back there about half as much. Still unacceptable. Anybody else have this issue or does someone have a fix?
3. I have an older shaker motor I've had for years. I know they are now sold for about $100 but why pay if I have one? Is their instructions available on where to hook a shaker motor into the wiring harness behind the coin door? Is there a plug already available to use or do I have to cut the motor's wiring into the harness myself?
Thanks in advance!
Dave Schulpius

I think I found my answer to #3, about the shaker motor. I see by looking through the manual that there is a header pin on the Coin Door interface board just inside the coin door. The header is called CN16. It has just two pins that accept the shaker's wires; Pin 1 is Blue and Pin 5 is Red with Pin 4 being the key. I'll give this a try. What's the worst that can happen? LOL!

#4024 26 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

I'll give this a try. What's the worst that can happen? LOL!

smoke.gif
#4025 25 days ago

LOL Deathhimself! Ya, I've seen that happen before. However this time I did not see the magic smoke. See my next followup discovery about the shaker motor I tried to install.

#4026 25 days ago

Has anyone changed any leds bulb in their machine yet? I tried to change a few colors and use comet bulbs and nothing so put the original cool white back and lit right up, weird.

I know stern on the spike machines use a 5VAC led, the comets are 6.3VAC leds. They should still light but just be slightly dimmer then if there were resisted for 5v.

#4027 25 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

I think I found my answer to #3, about the shaker motor. I see by looking through the manual that there is a header pin on the Coin Door interface board just inside the coin door. The header is called CN16. It has just two pins that accept the shaker's wires; Pin 1 is Blue and Pin 5 is Red with Pin 4 being the key. I'll give this a try. What's the worst that can happen? LOL!

Well, I hooked up my old shaker motor up. I wired it as the schematics show but nothing. A volt meter shows I'm getting 48 volts between pin 1 and 5 on CN16 of the interface board. The shaker motor didn't move but now I discovered it could be a 12 volt motor I have here I'm trying. I'm not sure but I don't think the extra voltage would burn up the motor right away. It would have at least moved a little. Anyway, I've placed an order with Pinball Life for a Spike 2 compatible shaker motor. Looks like it's plug and play.

#4028 25 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Well, I hooked up my old shaker motor up. I wired it as the schematics show but nothing. A volt meter shows I'm getting 48 volts between pin 1 and 5 on CN16 of the interface board. The shaker motor didn't move but now I discovered it could be a 12 volt motor I have here I'm trying. I'm not sure but I don't think the extra voltage would burn up the motor right away. It would have at least moved a little. Anyway, I've placed an order with Pinball Life for a Spike 2 compatible shaker motor. Looks like it's plug and play.

Plug and play it is! Bolt it down, put the cap on, plug it in. Done. Super easy.

#4029 25 days ago

Has anyone changed any leds bulb in their machine yet? I tried to change a few colors and use comet bulbs and nothing so put the original cool white back and lit right up, weird.
I know stern on the spike machines use a 5VAC led, the comets are 6.3VAC leds. They should still light but just be slightly dimmer then if there were resisted for 5v.

I swapped to all clear dome cool white 2SMDs except the shooter lane LEDs (too bright). A few purples scattered about. Looks nice!

#4030 25 days ago
Quoted from Mudflaps:

I swapped to all clear dome cool white 2SMDs except the shooter lane LEDs (too bright). A few purples scattered about. Looks nice!

That's right along the lines of something I'm looking to do, went through about 35 leds now and none of them are firing up.

#4031 25 days ago

That's right along the lines of something I'm looking to do, went through about 35 leds now and none of them are firing up.

Might have found the potential issue. The leds I was using are Non Ghosting 6.3VAC and they have a much stronger resistor which would be blocking the 5v from lighting the leds. Just ordered non ghosting leds so we shall see soon.

#4032 25 days ago

I know stern on the spike machines use a 5VAC led, the comets are 6.3VAC

Pretty sure the LED's and Flashers in all the Spike games are 5v DC not AC.

#4033 25 days ago
Quoted from docquest:

Pretty sure the LED's and Flashers in all the Spike games are 5v DC not AC.

You might be right about that, I pulled the VAC off the led itself. I do know the new spike GI's are 5v, the good thing is because LED' s are really a direct current device light that is hooked up to a circuit they should work either way.

#4034 25 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Don't forget to make sure it is turned on in the settings.

#4035 25 days ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Thanks in advance!
Dave Schulpius

always check the key posts

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/51#post-5536034

Thats what Stern have issued so far on the VUK Fix.

#4036 25 days ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

Found my lost ball. I am occasionally getting a ball stuck under the left ramp. Apparently, when the back of the house guide is in lowered position, the ball goes up the house ramp, hits the guide, and once in a while "jumps" in to the corner. It gets lodged between the left ramp and plastic as shown in the attached photo. The only way to get it out is to slightly lift the playfield so that it will drop through the back corner to the lower cabinet. I had the house apart to install new skill shot guides and still could not figure out what was making this happen. I remember a similar situation with Iron Maiden Premium to the right of Sarcophagus Lock but could see how it happened and I installed a plastic spacer. On Elvira, I can't really tell how the ball hits this mark. To add to the mystery, the ball has occasionally made it to the garage lock from the house ramp. I did notice wear on the lower side of the plastic cover piece in back of the house. With under 200 plays, the spiderweb is already worn off. The ball must be hitting it pretty hard as it flies up the ramp... however, I can't find any relation to this causing the ball to make it to the corner or the garage. Anyone else have similar issue? Does it just need a little tweak?
[quoted image]

Has anyone else had this problem and or figured out a fix? I removed the house for an opto issue and now after putting everything back together, the above is happening more frequently. When the house is closed and I shoot up the ramp, I can see the ball trying to get in to the corner. I am thinking one of two things that may fix this. Either I place some sort of mod that would block the ball from getting below the ramp or I somehow change the closed house diverter so that it directs the ball slightly down to the back guide rather than straight horizontal. It seems that this should be an easy fix but yet it is a head scratcher for me. One suggestion given was to add a washer under the ramp to give more clearance for the ball to pass under the ramp. This might help the ball from getting stuck, however, I would prefer that the ball not be accessing this area in the first place. There is already a little wear on the plastic under the ramp.

#4037 24 days ago

F$#( I hate removing that house. I came to find the house plastic is now broken so I asked Stern again for the part. Last time I was told the design was up to spec and they wouldn't send me one as a preventative measure. I've also been waiting 2 months for a new leaper bracket so I'm not even sure it was mailed out. Who knows in this crazy time?

The cellar vuk is loose and is a total PITA to get to the mounting screws. That's why I'm taking the house off again and it looks like the ramp entrance needs to be taken off too. It likes to shoot balls SDTM.

Rob

#4038 24 days ago

Wife destroyed me tonight.

3A056D96-ABA7-45A4-97B9-C2E2A7316583 (resized).jpeg
#4039 24 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

F$#( I hate removing that house. I came to find the house plastic is now broken so I asked Stern again for the part. Last time I was told the design was up to spec and they wouldn't send me one as a preventative measure. I've also been waiting 2 months for a new leaper bracket so I'm not even sure it was mailed out. Who knows in this crazy time?
The cellar vuk is loose and is a total PITA to get to the mounting screws. That's why I'm taking the house off again and it looks like the ramp entrance needs to be taken off too. It likes to shoot balls SDTM.
Rob

Wow, seems like a lot of parts loosened up on your machine. How long have you had it and about how many plays, unless you have plays in the thousands I would think these shouldn't loosen up so quickly unless they were never properly tighten during assembly.

#4040 24 days ago

Wow, seems like a lot of parts loosened up on your machine. How long have you had it and about how many plays, unless you have plays in the thousands I would think these shouldn't loosen up so quickly unless they were never properly tighten during assembly.

Who knows. I usually put lock washers on machine screws so they don't come loose again.

The 4 screws holding the house in place are one of the biggest PITA designs of any recent pinball game.

Here's a video of the loose bracket. Way too much disassembly needed to get to the screws to fix this.

Rob

#4041 24 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Who knows. I usually put lock washers on machine screws so they don't come loose again.
The 4 screws holding the house in place are one of the biggest PITA designs of any recent pinball game.
Rob

Get a long magnetic 1/4" nut driver. It is a must have.

#4042 24 days ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Get a long magnetic 1/4" nut driver. It is a must have.

In a snap, I do this with a piece of tape.
20200521_213551 (resized).jpg

#4043 24 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

Rob

I feel you. I have several inserts that won’t light and Stern customer service told me it’s a “wiring connection”. Yeah, it’s not. No way to fix it AFAIK. Came like that out of the box

#4044 24 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I feel you. I have several inserts that won’t light and Stern customer service told me it’s a “wiring connection”. Yeah, it’s not. No way to fix it AFAIK. Came like that out of the box

I had Node 8 resetting because of an overcurrent condition. I think I have it fixed now where one of the lamp power leads behind the trunk targets was stuck against a switch bracket.

The inserts that won't light, are these on a large light board or are they single light boards? If it's single light boards, is there power at the positive side?

Rob

#4045 24 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

I had Node 8 resetting because of an overcurrent condition. I think I have it fixed now where one of the lamp power leads behind the trunk targets was stuck against a switch bracket.
The inserts that won't light, are these on a large light board or are they single light boards? If it's single light boards, is there power at the positive side?
Rob

Single board, most of the inserts do work, it’s just a couple that won’t light. Game is temporarily packed up, I hope to get at it on Friday

#4046 23 days ago

Wow, seems like a lot of parts loosened up on your machine.

Words of wisdom ... use Loctite or Permatex on everything that comes loose when you fix it so you don't have to go back in as Stern didn't use any on anything. The cellar VUK is a huge PITA as you have to remove both the house and the backboard plastic just to get to the screws to remove this assembly to adjust the switch for this assembly; ANY engineer worth a damn would have put the screws on the assembly and used T-Nuts on the backboard to hold it in place...this would probably have added an extra $1 per machine though.

Addition thoughts after removing the VUK TWICE to adjust the switch...do not test this with the playfield resting on the maintenance arms, this small additional angle will make it seem like its working but it will fail to work properly when the playfield is secured in its normal position.

#4047 23 days ago
Quoted from Rob_G:

In a snap, I do this with a piece of tape.

that does work in a pinch and I've had to do it before; however, this ( amazon.com link » ) is 100 times better and works for removing screws so you don't have to spend 30 minutes under the playfield looking for that assembly screw you just dropped and heard bouncing around and never fell into the cabinet.

#4048 23 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Single board, most of the inserts do work, it’s just a couple that won’t light. Game is temporarily packed up, I hope to get at it on Friday

Check the wiring at the resistor terminals and LED boards. You probably have a broken (common) power wire at one.

Rob

#4049 23 days ago

Stern has addressed the house plastic and the crypt VUK on their newer builds, the house plastic is now trimmed accordingly and the vuk appears to be in it's proper location and the balls fly out of there now in which I lowered the coil strength.

#4050 23 days ago

Stern has addressed the house plastic and the crypt VUK on their newer builds, the house plastic is now trimmed accordingly and the vuk appears to be in it's proper location and the balls fly out of there now in which I lowered the coil strength.

What was build date on this machine if you don't mind me asking?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Silver Spring, MD
$ 499.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 4395 posts in this topic. You are on page 81 of 88.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside