IMG_0412 (resized).jpeg
IMG_0414 (resized).jpeg
20240417_211237 (resized).jpg
IMG_5084.jpeg
IMG_5121 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5119 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5120 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 18,124 posts in this topic. You are on page 290 of 363.
#14451 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Mine just arrived!! Wooohoooo!!!!
You wax it before 1st play right?

Congrats! I know you have been waiting a long time. Generally, you should not need wax on a NIB game. Be sure to dial down that trough eject so it's not blowing out your shooter lane, though.

#14452 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

Congrats! I know you have been waiting a long time. Generally, you should not need wax on a NIB game. Be sure to dial down that trough eject so it's not blowing out your shooter lane, though.

Yea I only had mine a few weeks and already theres a dent and chunk of wood broken off in my shooter lane

#14453 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Mine just arrived!! Wooohoooo!!!!
You wax it before 1st play right?

Congrats! As noted above, waxing a new clearcoated playfield is more a preference than necessity. Wax can speed the game up some tho. I do prefer to clean all my playfields with simply Meguiar’s Carnuba wax or cleaner wax. I seldom ever use anything abrasive like Novus 2, except on used playfields with swirls or scratches. On new pins like EHoH, I would play it and maybe do a light wax/cleaning every hundred or couple hundred plays. I also replace black rubber with a color or clear rubber from Titan, another preference. I feel like pins get less dirty or collect less black dust without black rubber, but it’s probably all in my head!

#14454 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I put in the LE speaker upgrade. They are 4 ohm. Should I change the setting from 8 ohm to 4 ohm for these speakers?

You would think you should, but for me I think they do something other than impedance matching with this setting. Try it. I find the 4ohm setting makes the soundstage ridiculously compressed, and in 8ohm it opens right up.

#14455 1 year ago

Mine is a March 24th......

This game is awesome. Even the wife likes it.

#14456 1 year ago
Quoted from PanzerKraken:

Yea I only had mine a few weeks and already theres a dent and chunk of wood broken off in my shooter lane

What did you lower it to?

Put mine at 150.... how much power does it really need (sheesh, Stern having it at max by default..... why?)

#14457 1 year ago

Wow, what a game! Glad I listened to a good friend who convinced me I needed this game! So deep, so many modes, ball locks, sounds, scripts! It just goes on and on. First thing I’ve noticed is the darn gargoyles sound like they’re smashing my precious voodoo glass! The multiballs are also wonderful!

#14458 1 year ago

#14459 1 year ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Please isolate the source of the thunk.
I assume you will get help much faster that way. Raise the playfield to the vertical position (after taking the balls out) and then power on the game.

Yes I did. The cat5 cable from node 0 is going into node 9 under the playfield. Unplug that and all the lights making trouble and that are surging turn off. I isolated it to that connection. The thunk is due to the power surging in that connection. I bought a new node 9 and changed it out. I also tried changing all the cat 5 cables. I changed node 0 out with a spare I had and nothing changed. Stumped on what to do next.

#14460 1 year ago
Quoted from EaglePin:

I'd start by checking the active switch test to see if any optos or switches are active that shouldn't be.
Sounds like a post firing. Could be the post in the subway behind the backboard. If the opto isn't aligned properly that post will fire repeatedly. Looks like that opto is Switch 54 based on what I see in the manual.

Nothing in the active switch test. But I do see this surging behavior during that test, it’s not registering as any switch activity.

#14461 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I put in the LE speaker upgrade. They are 4 ohm. Should I change the setting from 8 ohm to 4 ohm for these speakers?

I did.

#14462 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Put mine at 150.... how much power does it really need (sheesh, Stern having it at max by default..... why?)

Don't remember but also don't know if it's helping, cause the damage was already done. Big ol dent in the lane where the ball lands and there was a piece of broken wood laying in the lane from the ejects. Lowered it down, but like I said who knows if it's helping cause it's already hurt

#14463 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I have mine at 160. I had it at 150 for a while and that worked pretty good too, but every once in a while the kicker would have trouble getting the ball out on the first shot. YMMV

#14464 1 year ago

Finally got my game yesterday as well-- March 24th build date.

Has been pretty well behaved so far; had to turn down a few coil powers and I've had some issues with balls randomly ending (seemed like loose cables on the trough optos, I think I fixed them) but it's been great otherwise.

#14465 1 year ago
Quoted from Betelgeuse:

I have mine at 160. I had it at 150 for a while and that worked pretty good too, but every once in a while the kicker would have trouble getting the ball out on the first shot. YMMV

After long play times the coil will heat up and power is reduced a bit. I start low and increase it if I have issues. Cliffy is backed up. Still waiting for the protector.

#14466 1 year ago

So what’s everyone’s solution to shooter lane clunkiness? Reading through the thread there doesn’t seem to be a common fix. Just that folks have issues.

I tried messing with it and I can shove it a little lower or raise it a touch higher over the lip of the right ball guide.

My initial thought was that the ball was hitting the top of the ball guide and getting off track so I raised it up a touch. Maybe it helps but it’s still not easy and repeatable smooth out of the lane.

Thoughts?

#14467 1 year ago
Quoted from damadczar:

So what’s everyone’s solution to shooter lane clunkiness? Reading through the thread there doesn’t seem to be a common fix. Just that folks have issues.
I tried messing with it and I can shove it a little lower or raise it a touch higher over the lip of the right ball guide.
My initial thought was that the ball was hitting the top of the ball guide and getting off track so I raised it up a touch. Maybe it helps but it’s still not easy and repeatable smooth out of the lane.
Thoughts?

I’m still having problems with mine. Tried removing ramp and putting stuff under it, tried shoving stuff under to raise it and it’s still bad.

Quite frustrating this expensive of a game had obvious issues at set up. Like I don’t mind fixing a few things but this one should have been blatantly obvious to test.

#14468 1 year ago
Quoted from whistlervan:

I’m still having problems with mine. Tried removing ramp and putting stuff under it, tried shoving stuff under to raise it and it’s still bad.
Quite frustrating this expensive of a game had obvious issues at set up. Like I don’t mind fixing a few things but this one should have been blatantly obvious to test.

Agreed. Mine is still messed up too, tried a ton of stuff. Stern finally responded and wants a video, so I’ll do that soon and if they help me fix it I will share the details.

#14469 1 year ago

Anyone know if they're going to be doing another run of toppers? The only ones I've seen on the aftermarket want a 1k mark up and I don't love toppers that much.

#14470 1 year ago
Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

What a great game. Very long player.
[quoted image]

You can open the out lanes to help reduce ball times if you like.

#14471 1 year ago

Has anyone done the Titan glow rubbers? I'm curious how they look.

#14472 1 year ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Has anyone done the Titan glow rubbers? I'm curious how they look.

I have them on my bone flippers. Looks awesome.

#14473 1 year ago

Is this game better then AFM?

#14474 1 year ago
Quoted from Pizza-Bob:

Is this game better then AFM?

Both games are great.

They both have good humor, fun code (albeit really different), great art and sounds, and a similar layout.

I prefer EHoH for the deeper code and the mechs.

If you go by pinsider ratings. AFMs scores higher.

#14475 1 year ago

i own both, ehoh is better but afm is a classic and better for newer players

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#14476 1 year ago
Quoted from Izzy24:

The thunk is due to the power surging in that connection.

I apologize. I guess I assumed any audible "thunk" was a mechanical thing. I am certainly not an electrician or a tech, but I've never heard of surges of electricity causing thunks. Thunks come from relays closing, solenoids energizing, etc. This might be a good question for the Stern-specific sub-topic thread where you might get the attention of one of the many legit gurus on this site - Dumbass, for example.

#14477 1 year ago
Quoted from whistlervan:

Tried removing ramp and putting stuff under it, tried shoving stuff under to raise it and it’s still bad.

A consistent, smooth plunge on a layout where the ball drops from a low ramp to the playfield before proceeding up through an orbit is often hard to dial. That little drop might seem trivial, but it's not. MET is another example of this configuration and a plunge that can be maddening to sort out. GDZ's plunge drops to the playfield and then makes a quick turn, but it can rattle badly, too, just after making the drop. Whenever I have plunge issues, I remove the set screws that anchor the housing to the cabinet, then loosen the three mounting screws that hold the housing in place enough that the housing can be moved to various positions for test plunges and not wander. The right screw tension will usually mean that you'll need to tap the housing with the butt of a large screwdriver to get it to move. Any looser and it will wander when you do your test plunges. Move it until the tip aligns with the equator of the ball and at dead center, left to right, then plunge. If that doesn't help, align the tip a tad lower, or a tad higher, and try again. Sometimes the housing is misaligned in relation to the shooter lane because the cabinet is actually not square. In cases like that, a shim is necessary to correct the offset. Also, remember to "space" your plunger using the right rebound spring (on the OUTSIDE of the housing, not the color-coded return spring on the inside of the cabinet). A shorter rebound spring will bring the shooter tip closer to the ball, and that might be necessary if your stock configuration has the tip fully an inch behind the ball in the resting position. If the tip is just too far away - and this is common on NIB Stern pins because the QC there is so lax - you will have to draw your plunge back excessively far for the same power, and that's not right.

#14478 1 year ago

How far should the VUK shoot that ball? Land midway on the PF? The darn thing shoots clear across the whole game, I couldn't tell if it even touched the PF before slamming into the trunk targets. Wow.

Flippers seem super powerful too...... no need to sell the house, the darn wrecking ball will knock it down

#14479 1 year ago

A consistent, smooth plunge on a layout where the ball drops from a low ramp to the playfield before proceeding up through an orbit is often hard to dial. That little drop might seem trivial, but it's not. MET is another example of this configuration and a plunge that can be maddening to sort out. GDZ's plunge drops to the playfield and then makes a quick turn, but it can rattle badly, too, just after making the drop. Whenever I have plunge issues, I remove the set screws that anchor the housing to the cabinet, then loosen the three mounting screws that hold the housing in place enough that the housing can be moved to various positions for test plunges and not wander. The right screw tension will usually mean that you'll need to tap the housing with the butt of a large screwdriver to get it to move. Any looser and it will wander when you do your test plunges. Move it until the tip aligns with the equator of the ball and at dead center, left to right, then plunge. If that doesn't help, align the tip a tad lower, or a tad higher, and try again. Sometimes the housing is misaligned in relation to the shooter lane because the cabinet is actually not square. In cases like that, a shim is necessary to correct the offset. Also, remember to "space" your plunger using the right rebound spring (on the OUTSIDE of the housing, not the color-coded return spring on the inside of the cabinet). A shorter rebound spring will bring the shooter tip closer to the ball, and that might be necessary if your stock configuration has the tip fully an inch behind the ball in the resting position. If the tip is just too far away - and this is common on NIB Stern pins because the QC there is so lax - you will have to draw your plunge back excessively far for the same power, and that's not right.

I appreciate this level of detail in how you described these adjustments. This write up is really helpful. I made several adjustments to the shooter housing to the point where the 2 red screws didn't fit back into their original holes. I left them out and tightened the three mounting screws and all seems better. The housing is rock solid in place to the point where I don't really understand what those two red screws really do. I didn't realize that the outside return spring could be replaced with a smaller one. I think that my machine could benefit from that

#14480 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

How far should the VUK shoot that ball? Land midway on the PF? The darn thing shoots clear across the whole game, I couldn't tell if it even touched the PF before slamming into the trunk targets. Wow.
Flippers seem super powerful too...... no need to sell the house, the darn wrecking ball will knock it down

Be proud the VUK shoots the ball that good. A lot of other owners (including myself) would love to have one shoot it out that well.

I tried to fix it in every way possible to no avail, so I just write it up as a failure from the assembly line. Still one of my favorite pins I own.

#14481 1 year ago

I received Mageek's awesome camper and while it matches the illustration on the backboard perfectly I thought I'd work on it to compliment the fantastic detail and weathering in the house and found a pic of an old Shasta as reference.

IMG_0460 (resized).JPGIMG_0460 (resized).JPG

First thing I thought would be nice is a wheel and had an old model knock-off cobra wheel in a box of parts.

IMG_0453 (resized).JPGIMG_0453 (resized).JPG

IMG_0456 (resized).JPGIMG_0456 (resized).JPG

IMG_0457 (resized).JPGIMG_0457 (resized).JPG

Next panel shaded w/ pastels locked w/ Dullcote

IMG_0458 (resized).JPGIMG_0458 (resized).JPG

IMG_0461 (resized).JPGIMG_0461 (resized).JPG

IMG_0462 (resized).JPGIMG_0462 (resized).JPG

IMG_0463 (resized).JPGIMG_0463 (resized).JPG

IMG_0464 (resized).JPGIMG_0464 (resized).JPG

Rust, streaking, and silver-leaf added to some of the chrome areas to catch some reflection from the spotlights, rest just some silver paint

IMG_0469 (resized).JPGIMG_0469 (resized).JPG

Added a green transparency under the camper to give detail and make it look less like just floating in air?

IMG_0471 (resized).JPGIMG_0471 (resized).JPG

IMG_0472 (resized).JPGIMG_0472 (resized).JPG

IMG_0473 (resized).JPGIMG_0473 (resized).JPG

Mounted looks good and fits in w/ the house detail, put a yellow filter on the led's inside the camper

IMG_0493 (resized).JPGIMG_0493 (resized).JPG

But as expected a lot of the added detail gets lost with all of the led spot lighting in the game, oh well it was a fun few hour project!

IMG_0481 (resized).JPGIMG_0481 (resized).JPG

IMG_0490 (resized).JPGIMG_0490 (resized).JPG

#14482 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I find after a long play with multiballs the flippers become weaker. It’s starting to remind me of Iron Maiden after a few plays the flippers seem weak. Must be over heating

#14483 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I kept toning down the power on almost everything, the default of this run feels like it's going to break the machine with how hard it's shooting everywhere. Flippers, slings, vuk, shooter lane, all just too powerful and I keep slowly turning them down. The flippers clearly too strong, as they sound like they are murdering the ramps

#14484 1 year ago
Quoted from Good-Times:

You would think you should, but for me I think they do something other than impedance matching with this setting. Try it. I find the 4ohm setting makes the soundstage ridiculously compressed, and in 8ohm it opens right up.

I think I maybe notice the same. It won't hurt anything will it? To leave at 8ohm?

#14485 1 year ago

Elvira arrives between 10 and 2 tomorrow and Elvira yes between 10 and 2 Da-da-da-da-da. Having fun.

#14486 1 year ago
Quoted from per3per3:

2 red screws didn't fit back into their original holes

Losing the red machine screws is trivial. They are a redundancy for the three screws that secure the housing. Once you reposition the housing to improve your plunge, the holes for the red screws will no longer line up. It’s all too common for games on the line to have their shooter housings eyeballed into position and then fixed with those red machine screws. The trouble is, fixing the housing in position before play testing the game is backwards and unhelpful.

#14487 1 year ago

Mine was working perfect....

After turning down the flipper power, auto plunger power and vuk power....... now it's ejecting two balls into the trough instead of one?!?! What's this about?

#14488 1 year ago
Quoted from Soltic:

I received Mageek's awesome camper and while it matches the illustration on the backboard perfectly I thought I'd work on it to compliment the fantastic detail and weathering in the house and found a pic of an old Shasta as reference.
[quoted image]
First thing I thought would be nice is a wheel and had an old model knock-off cobra wheel in a box of parts.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Next panel shaded w/ pastels locked w/ Dullcote
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Rust, streaking, and silver-leaf added to some of the chrome areas to catch some reflection from the spotlights, rest just some silver paint
[quoted image]
Added a green transparency under the camper to give detail and make it look less like just floating in air?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Mounted looks good and fits in w/ the house detail, put a yellow filter on the led's inside the camper
[quoted image]
But as expected a lot of the added detail gets lost with all of the led spot lighting in the game, oh well it was a fun few hour project!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

Looks absolutely fantastic.. great write up and great job!

#14489 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Mine was working perfect....
After turning down the flipper power, auto plunger power and vuk power....... now it's ejecting two balls into the trough instead of one?!?! What's this about?

Maybe check the trough switches in switch test? Or maybe turn the trough eject power up slightly since your variable is that you turned it down? Not sure but that sounds annoying.

#14490 1 year ago
Quoted from Sheev_Palpatine:

Maybe check the trough switches in switch test? Or maybe turn the trough eject power up slightly since your variable is that you turned it down? Not sure but that sounds annoying.

Hmmm, that didn't do anything.

Weird. It was fine last night. At the start of a ball, it does one ball and then bang right away puts another ball.... one, two.
I shoot the balls then let them drain, on the ball save it puts one ball into the trough and auto launches it (although twice I watched it put two balls into the trough during ball save - twice out of six times). Not sure how it would be smart enough to do one ball on ball save and not smart enough to do one ball for the start of a ball.

#14491 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Weird. It was fine last night. At the start of a ball, it does one ball and then bang right away puts another ball.... one, two.
I shoot the balls then let them drain, on the ball save it puts one ball into the trough and auto launches it (although twice I watched it put two balls into the trough during ball save - twice out of six times). Not sure how it would be smart enough to do one ball on ball save and not smart enough to do one ball for the start of a ball.

You checked the trough opto switches? Maybe reseat the connections?

#14492 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

I just had this problem & for me the right outlane switch was stuck closed. Needed adjusted.

#14493 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

now it's ejecting two balls into the trough instead of one?!?! What's this about?

SPIKE2 games have a test called "CLR" in the diagnostics menu. It basically lets you check the trough optos. In this test mode you see the balls in your trough represented in a graphic on the display. You press the start button to eject ball into the shooter lane and you see on the display how the row of balls in the trough suddenly has one less ball. The ball is then autoplunged onto the playfield, drains, and returns to the trough, showing all six balls again, etc.

If you haven't done it already, you should also do a simple switch test of the shooter lane switch in the Switch Test part of diagnostics. Apart from the lane switch and the optos, I can't think of anything that would fool the game into thinking the ball hadn't settled in front of the shooter. Turning the ball eject power down too much will only result in the ball failing to eject and settle in the lane. It will fall back down and be re-ejected repeatedly until you force quit the game or simply open the coin door. Turning it up too high will pulverize the lane but at least it will ensure that the ball is ejected. I always set my ball eject power - on games that have such an adjustment - to a the minimum power required plus about, oh, ten percent.

#14494 1 year ago
Quoted from ripit:

Elvira arrives between 10 and 2 tomorrow and Elvira yes between 10 and 2 Da-da-da-da-da. Having fun.

Awesome! Congrats! How long have you been waiting? Got any mods ready to go? Got your toolkit ready to go?
What does "Da-da-da-da-da" mean? I'm old enough that all I can think of is the song by The Police called De Do Do Do, De Da Da Da.

#14495 1 year ago
Quoted from robx46:

I think I maybe notice the same. It won't hurt anything will it? To leave at 8ohm?

By doing this it's possibly giving the drivers less current than they should have; the worst that might happen is you'll fry a driver if you have it so loud that it's distorting/clipping. At normal volumes I don't think there is any risk.

#14496 1 year ago

I've just joined the club with an LE! What are people's recommendations for action button surround and shooter plate?

#14497 1 year ago
Quoted from PinStalker:

Mine is a March 24th......
This game is awesome. Even the wife likes it.

Mine was born on the same day, it's a small world. And weirdly my wife likes this one as well, which, given the backglass I wouldn't have thought to be the case.

This is my 6th NIB Spike 2 in the last year and I noticed several manufacturing changes for the better on this one. They are back to putting the little playfield alignment brackets on the games, mine had one on the left hand side of the cabinet (which seems to be enough to keep it from shifting left and right). And I also noticed one of my recent complaints which were the poor quality wi-fi dongles has been addressed, now the board seems to have wi-fi built in (and is working perfectly). Kudos to Stern for improving things as they go along.

#14498 1 year ago

SPIKE2 games have a test called "CLR" in the diagnostics menu. It basically lets you check the trough optos. In this test mode you see the balls in your trough represented in a graphic on the display. You press the start button to eject ball into the shooter lane and you see on the display how the row of balls in the trough suddenly has one less ball. The ball is then autoplunged onto the playfield, drains, and returns to the trough, showing all six balls again, etc.
If you haven't done it already, you should also do a simple switch test of the shooter lane switch in the Switch Test part of diagnostics. Apart from the lane switch and the optos, I can't think of anything that would fool the game into thinking the ball hadn't settled in front of the shooter. Turning the ball eject power down too much will only result in the ball failing to eject and settle in the lane. It will fall back down and be re-ejected repeatedly until you force quit the game or simply open the coin door. Turning it up too high will pulverize the lane but at least it will ensure that the ball is ejected. I always set my ball eject power - on games that have such an adjustment - to a the minimum power required plus about, oh, ten percent.

Thanks! I'll try this

#14499 1 year ago
Quoted from viper001:

And weirdly my wife likes this one as well, which, given the backglass I wouldn't have thought to be the case.

What's not for a female to like on the backglass?

#14500 1 year ago

Deleted. Wrong thread.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

11,855 (OBO)
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

10,000 (Firm)
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

There are 18,124 posts in this topic. You are on page 290 of 363.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/290?hl=ripit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.