• Also own Elvira and the Party Monsters 18 votes
    7%
  • Also own Scared Stiff 61 votes
    24%
  • I own all three now! 30 votes
    12%

(259 votes)

Topic Gallery

There have been 893 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

received_1541702986019357 (resized).jpeg
IMG_20200805_023644 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023547 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023613 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200805_023530 (resized).jpg
20200802_081458 (resized).jpg
20200802_081525 (resized).jpg
20200802_081901 (resized).jpg
house div 2 (resized).jpg
house div (resized).jpg
20200802_080338 (resized).jpg
mun code.gif
image (resized).jpg
elvtruck (resized).png
A4AD6BDC-E418-44CF-8574-805DD663E59F (resized).jpeg
ELVIRA SIDE BLADES 3pst (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

9 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 4401 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 89.
#901 8 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

This is exactly it thank you! You have to plunge so it goes through the first gate on the back of the house but does not go all the way around. It needs to stop behind the house. If it does that it seems to give you the shit every time. So it’s simply plunging strength. Since learning this key to the shot from this simple but yet brilliant post, I made the back door shot twice in my first game attempting this. On the next game made it twice again.

I've done that... I've had the ball stay at the top of the house for a few seconds then it rolls slowly down to the left orbit.
But, I haven't tried since the latest code update... I'll give it a try... Hope the skill shot is worth it.

#902 8 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

My playfield is dimpled to all hell.
My only hope is they'll all dimple so much so it'll become level again.
I might lower the vuk... But, it seems lately its 2/3 of the vuk shots lead to draining. And really not from my mistake. It either dribbles straight to the tthe left outlane... Not a bullet shot, but a dribble that is still powerful enough to where you can't nudge it to save it.
Or I get a bullet shot and it hits the rubber in a weird way on the left side and it bounces straight into the right outlane. THis might be savable... If I nudge just at the right time. But, its hard to get the feel for when you need to start shaking, and because the vuk is so inconsistent in its behavior you risk doing the wrong shake...
I like the vuk... But, I think there needs to be a ball save timer that goes with it.

I am in the same boat as you. I have never been able to hit the skill shot and the VUK really pisses me off. It seems to know when I am having a good game and sends it down the outlane. Other times it will send it to the trunk stand ups and sometimes it will send it tom my left flipper.

#903 8 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Close it? Will do. Thx

Yes. If your game has a white switch on the left side of the coin door then you will get those notices whenever the coin door is open. Just shuts off high power so any boards using more than 12V I think don’t work. Definitely not the 48v ones.

#904 8 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I've done that... I've had the ball stay at the top of the house for a few seconds then it rolls slowly down to the left orbit.
But, I haven't tried since the latest code update... I'll give it a try... Hope the skill shot is worth it.

Quoted from BigT:

I am in the same boat as you. I have never been able to hit the skill shot and the VUK really pisses me off. It seems to know when I am having a good game and sends it down the outlane. Other times it will send it to the trunk stand ups and sometimes it will send it tom my left flipper.

Code has nothing to do with the skill shot. It is simply physics. I was just like you two until I realized the rear of the playfield wasn't side to side level. Get a digital level and level the game from the rear playfield by the front door of the house and not the playfield glass. A guaranty your right side rear corner is to high. If it is, the skill shot isn't possible (physics - I tested it, the ball rolls past the back door hole every time without fail). The rails in my game (and likely yours) are slightly off. On most games this is a non-issue. Elvira isn't most games, it needs to be corrected with the leg levelers. Once level has been achieved the ball will drop into the back door on a slow shot.

#905 8 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Yes. If your game has a white switch on the left side of the coin door then you will get those notices whenever the coin door is open. Just shuts off high power so any boards using more than 12V I think don’t work. Definitely not the 48v ones.

Got it updated. Thx

Between this and JPLE I haven’t had this much pinball fun in a long time!

Wow factor

#906 8 months ago

Why would anybody level their game with the glass on? Always use the level on the playfield, up top as much as possible and lower by the flippers. Leveling 101.

#907 8 months ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Got it updated. Thx
Between this and JPLE I haven’t had this much pinball fun in a long time!
Wow factor

Just imagine how big of a wow factor when the code gets to 1.0!!!!

#908 8 months ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Just imagine how big of a wow factor when the code gets to 1.0!!!!

I expect it from Lyman. That's why I buy his games day one. Elvira will be/is a great classic game. .87 is already fantastic.

JPLE might be the best game I've ever played thus far.

#909 8 months ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

If you want power to those boards with the door open, pull the white interlock switch out to restore 48V power.

#910 8 months ago

Anyone knows who composed the original tracks of the machine? There's some great tracks, and a large variety! Some tracks added in the 0.87 version might have been composed by Ken Hale, but it's only a supposition made by comparison with the JP tracks...

#911 8 months ago
Quoted from yuriijos:

Why would anybody level their game with the glass on? Always use the level on the playfield, up top as much as possible and lower by the flippers. Leveling 101.

Hope you get the same results at the top of the PF as you do down there the flippers!

#912 8 months ago

While waiting for the delivery of my machine:

20191124_121132 (resized).jpg
#913 8 months ago

Yes - back door shot is very doable if your game is leveled correctly.

Also the plastic on the left side of the house has been modified and has proper cutout.

.87 code might take a little longer than some other titles to update but no problems to install.

Make sure you pull off shipping foam under the playfield securing gargoyle rods when you get your game. Glad I had the heads up on that one before I got my game. Could be easy to miss doing that. Thanks to the pinsider that noted that in earlier posts in this thread.

#914 8 months ago

I will be an owner early next year. I have a playfield protector on my BM66 and will put one on Elvira as well. With BM66 there were a few posts that showed step by step how to install which made it an easy task . Anyone here install a protector?

#915 8 months ago
Quoted from beefzap:

I will be an owner early next year. I have a playfield protector on my BM66 and will put one on Elvira as well. With BM66 there were a few posts that showed step by step how to install which made it an easy task . Anyone here install a protector?

I just did it. It isn’t too bad, but a little more complex than some other recent titles. Also, full disclosure, I’ve started to cut the protectors around the loops, or parts that would take me way more time than I feel it is worth.

The worst part about the protector on this game was that the rollover slots on the left outlanes were way out of alignment. It is the first game where I had that problem with a protector.

I would say the hardest part in this game is that all of the ramps are wired and you end up disconnecting about 10 molex (which are easy because Stern labeled them). It involves a lot of back and forth from top side to bottom. Also you have to take apart the left side of the crypt in order to feed the molex plugs through the hole and remove the right ramp.

I think it took me about an hour.

#916 8 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I just did it. It isn’t too bad, but a little more complex than some other recent titles. Also, full disclosure, I’ve started to cut the protectors around the loops, or parts that would take me way more time than I feel it is worth.
The worst part about the protector on this game was that the rollover slots on the left outlanes were way out of alignment. It is the first game where I had that problem with a protector.
I would say the hardest part in this game is that all of the ramps are wired and you end up disconnecting about 10 molex (which are easy because Stern labeled them). It involves a lot of back and forth from top side to bottom. Also you have to take apart the left side of the crypt in order to feed the molex plugs through the hole and remove the right ramp.
I think it took me about an hour.

Thanks for the tips....my protector is sitting in a box and my prem just delivered. It's going on before the first plunge.

#917 8 months ago

I guess I equate playfield protectors with the clear plastic covers fussy old women put on the couch and chairs in their formal living rooms. In both instances it seems like it is just preserving things for the next owner. How much wear will a game even get when purchased NIB for HUO, especially if you own as many pins as most here on Pinside? Will the added resale value even cover the cost of (and trouble to install) the protector? Or if you intend to keep your pins until you die (like I plan on doing) are you just overly obsessive about keeping your games in pristine condition?

#918 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I guess I equate playfield protectors with the clear plastic covers fussy old women put on the couch and chairs in their formal living rooms. In both instances it seems like it is just preserving things for the next owner. How much wear will a game even get when purchased NIB for HUO, especially if you own as many pins as most here on Pinside? Will the added resale value even cover the cost (and trouble to install) of the protector? Or if you intend to keep your pins until you die (like I plan on doing) are you just overly obsessive about keeping your games in pristine condition?

I'm too lazy for playfield protectors... but, with how quick and how many dimples are on my Elvira, I might consider one for the next NIB pin I purchase. With that said though I am pretty good at waxing my pins.
I have to wax my Monster Bash before I can play it again. And I'll probably wax Iron Maiden and Elvira next week as well, just because of the sheer volume I've been playing both lately.

I also plan on keeping all my pins till I die. So I'd like them to be in good condition. I know they won't stay in pristine because of the use. That is a trade off. Keep it pristine or play it... I rather play my pins, but still as I said keep they in good condition. That is a fair trade off I believe. The normal wear and tear of time and play, verses no play and staying immaculate. These are toys and meant to be played.

#919 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I guess I equate playfield protectors with the clear plastic covers fussy old women put on the couch and chairs in their formal living rooms. In both instances it seems like it is just preserving things for the next owner. How much wear will a game even get when purchased NIB for HUO, especially if you own as many pins as most here on Pinside? Will the added resale value even cover the cost (and trouble to install) of the protector? Or if you intend to keep your pins until you die (like I plan on doing) are you just overly obsessive about keeping your games in pristine condition?

We've been over this analogy before....its a bad one. A sofa is a consumable. It wears out and you replace it. A better analogy is putting ceramic coat on your $100k Porsche. Is the clear coat from the factory on your car sufficient? Or do you want to keep the finish pristine for yourself and for resale. These Elvira's are dimpling badly. So, yes, I want to preserve the finish.

#920 8 months ago
Quoted from robertmee:

Thanks for the tips....my protector is sitting in a box and my prem just delivered. It's going on before the first plunge.

I always recommend playing the game first. Then you can make sure that the protector plays exactly like the naked game. Obviously up to you, but that helps me dial in the protectors. They usually need a little help.

#921 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I put my games in a friend’s bar whenever possible. The protector ensures that the resale value is as high as possible. It is worth the hour installation for me.

I understand all of the debate around them. I wouldn’t push someone to install it. It just happens to be right for me.

#922 8 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

The worst part about the protector on this game was that the rollover slots on the left outlanes were way out of alignment.

i presume you cut them to fix? What did you use to cut?

#923 8 months ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I just don't like looking at a playfield with craters on it. I look at pinball as a work of art and when I can see the craters it definitely takes away some of the pleasure of playing. I never even noticed the issue on any of my past pins until my TWD machine and it looked like the surface of the moon. To me it takes away from the aesthetics of the game. My BM66 with the protector looks great , like a clear coated playfield. And for me one part of the game I enjoy is having a nice playfield to play on. And I cannot tell any differences in gameplay

#924 8 months ago
Quoted from beefzap:

I just don't like looking at a playfield with craters on it. I look at pinball as a work of art and when I can see the craters it definitely takes away some of the pleasure of playing. I never even noticed the issue on any of my past pins until my TWD machine and it looked like the surface of the moon. To me it takes away from the aesthetics of the game. My BM66 with the protector looks great , like a clear coated playfield. And for me one part of the game I enjoy is having a nice playfield to play on. And I cannot tell any differences in gameplay

I saw a star wars LE in june with massive dimples. Same game in November is worn in nicely. They do even out over time.

#925 8 months ago
Quoted from hank527:

I saw a star wars LE in june with massive dimples. Same game in Nivember is worn in nicely. They do even out over time.

I couldn’t agree with you more.

#926 8 months ago

HELP!!! Got my Premium today and I absolutely love it. Everything worked. Went through the menu and set on free play - changed the volume - no issues. I played a few games and then I threw .087 on it. No problems updating. Played a few games - all was good. Then I tried to turn the volume up. That + button won't work. I go to the menus - I can go backwards through the menus - but not forward. Physically the switch is fine. Factory reset the game and re-installed .087 - volume+ worked! I set it on free play- and played one game - no problems. As soon as the game was over I opened the coin door to turn it up a tad more- again the Volume + wont work. I've checked all the connections on the node boards. Factory reset multiple times. This absolutely appears to be a software issue- but I haven't read anyone else running into this. Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

#927 8 months ago
Quoted from Analogkid:

HELP!!! Got my Premium today and I absolutely love it. Everything worked. Went through the menu and set on free play - changed the volume - no issues. I played a few games and then I threw .087 on it. No problems updating. Played a few games - all was good. Then I tried to turn the volume up. That + button won't work. I go to the menus - I can go backwards through the menus - but not forward. Physically the switch is fine. Factory reset the game and re-installed .087 - volume+ worked! I set it on free play- and played one game - no problems. As soon as the game was over I opened the coin door to turn it up a tad more- again the Volume + wont work. I've checked all the connections on the node boards. Factory reset multiple times. This absolutely appears to be a software issue- but I haven't read anyone else running into this. Thoughts/ideas/suggestions?

Maybe the volume button works sometimes (flaky). I recommend calling Stern Tech Support for this one.

#928 8 months ago
Quoted from hank527:

I saw a star wars LE in june with massive dimples. Same game in Nivember is worn in nicely. They do even out over time.

I'd agree if "worn in nicely" means the equivalent of a rough gravel road. With a hell of shine on it.

Some (not all) of these new softer PF's dimple so deep the PF would have to sink below the level of the inserts to "even out".

Very different from even earlier Stern PF's from a decade ago. The glossier CC really accentuates the issue also.

Twenty + years ago I bought a CV and it had a soft PF that cratered like some of these newer PF's. The dist replaced the game and I still have it and indeed it developed the typical shallow dimpling that actually *does* elegantly flatten out.

But what can ya do? Some of these newer games have terrific gameplay and unless you adjust your expectations you'll have to simply play them in a barcade or something.

I'm not thrilled with my TWDPRE PF but the game is so fantastic I'm fine living with it

--

#929 8 months ago
Quoted from Analogkid:

I would try reloading a fresh copy of .87 off stern website to your PC. Unzip folder and load the individual files to a USB stick with nothing else on it. Perhaps when you grabbed code the first time something got corrupted. - Just a guess to try.

#930 8 months ago

PSA: Tighten the nuts under the leaping gargoyles.

I realized that the impacts to the metal plate were causing the entire mechanism to shift a little too late. Unfortunately it caused one of my gargoyle rods to slightly bend as it was being torqued by the misalignment of the holes. After investigating, I discovered that all four of the lock nuts were very loose under the gargoyles.

#931 8 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

i presume you cut them to fix? What did you use to cut?

These ones sucked because I only noticed it after I got it down. In that case I use an exacto knife with a brand new blade. It isn't an easy cut, but you can do it.

If I had noticed the misalignment before full installation, I would have used a regular razor blade with a brand new blade. If you shave the side of the material at a slight angle you can get a really nice cut on it. In fact, the last four games I've installed them all I've cut all the orbit path to save time in the installation. It works extremely well.

#932 8 months ago

ELVIRA IS IN THE HOUSE . Just came this morning #033 been waiting a while to pull the trigger on her. Been up since 5:30 this morning all anxious lol. Will put up more pics once unboxed.

76FBD652-9369-46C9-8309-447B93C221A0 (resized).jpegF1E7F9EC-C3FE-48BA-8294-B3CC85EE45C1 (resized).jpeg
#933 8 months ago

ELVIRA #033 IS IN THE HOUSE. Been up since 5:30 this morning couldn’t sleep, all anxious. Finally pulled the trigger on her after waiting a month. Will add more pics once she is unboxed.

06CCA8AB-4350-44F3-A682-08730578C242 (resized).jpegD1DB6611-68D0-4584-806B-97D3905C2D2F (resized).jpeg
#934 8 months ago
Quoted from Oilrat:

ELVIRA #033 IS IN THE HOUSE. Been up since 5:30 this morning couldn’t sleep, all anxious. Finally pulled the trigger on her after waiting a month. Will add more pics once she is unboxed.[quoted image][quoted image]

It’s always exciting to get a brand new game. Makes one feel like a kid at Christmas!

#935 8 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

It’s always exciting to get a brand new game. Makes one feel like a kid at Christmas!

Only its even better than any christmas I've ever had!!!!!!

#936 8 months ago
Quoted from jfh:

Christmas came early lol. Like a big kid in the candy store. My wife was happy as she got to pick out the number #033 machine.

#937 8 months ago

This may have been asked. Quick question. Anyone having issues with code .87 and the junk in the trunk loading two balls and then ball searching?

#938 8 months ago

Strange problem... Anyone have an issue where the trunk gets 2 balls in it and doesn't know to kick them out? I've tested the switches and optos and they always register. In switch test, if I click and release the trunk switch, the plunger kicks and sometimes if I just hold the trunk switch down the plunger will repeatedly kick as I would expect as it's trying to clear the ball out. BUT sometimes it won't kick at all if I hold the switch down. It becomes a problem during a game because the trunk will open and capture a 2nd ball, but then won't eject them sending the game into a ball search mode. The trunk eject plunger isn't in the ball search routine so I have to remove the glass to clear the trunk. I switched Node Board 8 with no change, so I'm not sure what this could be yet. Almost seems like a firmware bug since the switch shows closed and the optos indicate proper operation, but I don't know. I'm guessing that if a ball is in the trunk pushing down on the switch and another ball passes the ramp optos, that's the trigger to eject the balls once it lands in the trunk on top of the first ball.

Anyway... anyone else? (calprog, just saw your post after I entered mine, so I'm not alone)

#939 8 months ago

I added a little platform behind the pool so I could attach some trees. My hope was to make the house a little more creepy. I thought it turned out pretty good.

20191123_094812 (resized).jpg20191123_171904 (resized).jpg
#940 8 months ago
Quoted from lasermel:

It becomes a problem during a game because the trunk will open and capture a 2nd ball, but then won't eject them sending the game into a ball search mode. The trunk eject plunger isn't in the ball search routine so I have to remove the glass to clear the trunk.

I get the same issue. I think its a code bug in latest version.

#941 8 months ago

Well. Looks like this trunk issue is becoming common. It's happening to me as well. What I think I've noticed is the trunk opens when it shouldn't. (ie. lock is not lit) The game does eventually eject the balls on the 4th? ball search. I've also opened the coin door and manually ejected them through test. I'm definitely thinking it's the code. Has anyone sent it to bug.report?

#942 8 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I added a little platform behind the pool so I could attach some trees. My hope was to make the house a little more creepy. I thought it turned out pretty good. [quoted image][quoted image]

Looks awesome man! Where'd you get the trees from? Do they light up?

#943 8 months ago

Where’s the topper ?
I’m assuming Stern will make one ?
Another $500 or $600

#944 8 months ago
Quoted from SKWilson:

Well. Looks like this trunk issue is becoming common. It's happening to me as well. What I think I've noticed is the trunk opens when it shouldn't. (ie. lock is not lit) The game does eventually eject the balls on the 4th? ball search. I've also opened the coin door and manually ejected them through test. I'm definitely thinking it's the code. Has anyone sent it to bug.report?

Just sent Stern a bug report....

#945 8 months ago
Quoted from Aurium:

Looks awesome man! Where'd you get the trees from? Do they light up?

No lights, just a static prop. They are Department 56 bare trees 3 pack. I think you get a 6, 8 and 10 inch tree. The 6 and 8 inch are perfect. It plays off the moon well in my opinion.

#946 8 months ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

No lights, just a static prop. They are Department 56 bare trees 3 pack. I think you get a 6, 8 and 10 inch tree. The 6 and 8 inch are perfect. It plays off the moon well.

#947 8 months ago
Quoted from calprog:

This may have been asked. Quick question. Anyone having issues with code .87 and the junk in the trunk loading two balls and then ball searching?

Loaded this up Sunday night on Matt's SLE and we experienced the same issue.

Definitely seems to be a code issue.

#948 8 months ago

I have not had a ball lock in the trunk yet. When lid opens and ball goes in trunk the ball fires out immediately each time I have gotten a ball in. ??

I have not really paid attention as to the lid opening or not when it is supposed to with a lock. I would guess the lock is lit because I have heard Elvira say shoot for the ramp or something to that effect when I have seen the lid pop open.

So what is the proper shot sequence and operation of the trunk and trunk multiball ? Have not gotten real familiar with the game yet... Explanation of how the trunk is supposed to work would be helpful. Thanks.

#949 8 months ago

Yes, having the same problem with balls in the trunk on 0.87

#950 8 months ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

PSA: Tighten the nuts under the leaping gargoyles.
I realized that the impacts to the metal plate were causing the entire mechanism to shift a little too late. Unfortunately it caused one of my gargoyle rods to slightly bend as it was being torqued by the misalignment of the holes. After investigating, I discovered that all four of the lock nuts were very loose under the gargoyles.

Been having a similar issue with one of my gargoyle rods getting stuck in the up position.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
Machine - For Sale
Warren, MI
There are 4401 posts in this topic. You are on page 19 of 89.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside