20240302_141221 (resized).jpg
20240305_103850 (resized).jpg
ehoh trailer (resized).png
20240219_182627 (resized).jpg
20240304_084812 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_5331530_0 (resized).jpg
IMG_7157 (resized).JPG

Topic index (key posts)

27 key posts have been marked in this topic, showing the first 10 items. (Show topic index)

There are 17,982 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 360.
#6351 3 years ago

With all this delay on more machines and price increase, I wonder if the topper will still be rerun...

#6352 3 years ago

So how much is a decent price for a nib ehoh now?

#6353 3 years ago

Kind of a moot question as there are no NIB EHOH to be had...and with all this backlash about the $500 increase they likely won’t even run it again. The game will probably never break 1100 total units.

Quoted from Happy81724:

So how much is a decent price for a nib ehoh now?

#6354 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

I can’t even imagine where another ramp would even fit in this game. Any idea what the original design looked like?

It wasn’t a third ramp but a “Hollywood Hills” drop as part of the left ramp on the upper left. I think Dennis called it the double D ramp. He said it was removed because it didn’t flow as well as they liked (wasn’t convincing to me) but it sure looked cool and was a nice homage to the ramps on EATPM and SS.

There are better pics (I can’t find them at the moment) but you can see the sharp dips before the crate.
34E343ED-6FDE-4913-8DC7-2FC19680D6B0 (resized).jpeg34E343ED-6FDE-4913-8DC7-2FC19680D6B0 (resized).jpegC72D9A6E-FFC8-4AB4-925F-25A25840CB46 (resized).jpegC72D9A6E-FFC8-4AB4-925F-25A25840CB46 (resized).jpeg

#6355 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

EHOH has three motors. Lift ramp, Crypt and Turret.

Actually four motors. You forgot the house diverter motor.

Dennis briefly mentioned there were ramp changes made by Stern after he submitted his design. Would love to hear details on what the original ramps looked like as well as what other things might have been removed from his original design.

As is the game is packed with mechs. It definitely has a higher BOM compared to other recent Stern premium games.

#6356 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

as well as what other things might have been removed from his original design.

The other big item removed was a physical wheel of fate below the lower left outlane.

#6357 3 years ago

I mean, the game is still worth it even with a $500 price increase. It's the best, most complete Stern game in years. It's expensive, but compared to what else you can get for the price, I think it competes well.

#6358 3 years ago

Still only 39 reporting that they have all three Elvira games. Some of you EATPM and Scared Stiff owners need to get that number up.
Elvira would approve of you getting it up ...

#6359 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Kind of a moot question as there are no NIB EHOH to be had...and with all this backlash about the $500 increase they likely won’t even run it again. The game will probably never break 1100 total units.

Wait, so they are never making them again if I ordered one even for 500 more?

#6360 3 years ago

They should have used that idea for the topper instead of the $1k paperweight haha

Quoted from jfh:

The other big item removed was a physical wheel of fate below the lower left outlane.

#6361 3 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

EHOH has three motors. Lift ramp, Crypt and Turret.

I honestly can’t imagine those extras adds a ton to the cost for those extra motors per game. Would be nice if Stern actually said why we are charging an extra $500 dollars to fulfill orders from last year. No F ing way things changed 11 days into 2021 to justify this increase.

#6362 3 years ago

Just saw you posted some screen grabs showing the orignal left ramp. That looks wild. I'm assuming those are from the Expo talk. I was there but forgot about those pics. Maybe a clever modder with plastics experience can try and replicate that ramp?

Quoted from jfh:

I think the wheel shown in that prototype pic looks pretty big and would make that part of the game overly crowded. I think the LCD version they have now is a nice compromise and works well.

#6363 3 years ago

I like the drop ramp design and would have made the game even better and really can’t see it costing much more but that is probably why they cut it a few pennies more cost not flow!

#6364 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Just saw you posted some screen grabs showing the orignal left ramp. That looks wild. I'm assuming those are from the Expo talk. I was there but forgot about those pics. Maybe a clever modder with plastics experience can try and replicate that ramp?

I think the wheel shown in that prototype pic looks pretty big and would make that part of the game overly crowded. I think the LCD version they have now is a nice compromise and works well.

Yes, those were from the Expo talk. Unfortunately I was too far back to get good shots.

I agree with you on the wheel - I don’t think it really fit the game and that the virtual version works better. But I was very disappointed the ramp got changed.

#6365 3 years ago

Unique game specific mechanisms and motors add the bulk of manufacturing costs for Stern. That’s why they avoid putting them in games hence everyone complaining about how “bare” other titles are or crying about the lack of “toys” if it’s not a magnet, spinning disc or a simple coil powered mech (ex. Lifting ramp / subway vuk) it’s expensive to add to a game.

Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

I honestly can’t imagine those extras adds a ton to the cost for those extra motors per game. Would be nice if Stern actually said why we are charging an extra $500 dollars to fulfill orders from last year. No F ing way things changed 11 days into 2021 to justify this increase.

#6366 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yes, those were from the Expo talk. Unfortunately I was too far back to get good shots.
I agree with you on the wheel - I don’t think it really fit the game and that the virtual version works better. But I was very disappointed the ramp got changed.

Here's another pic of the original ramp vs the current one.

ramp1 (resized).pngramp1 (resized).png
#6367 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Unique game specific mechanisms and motors add the bulk of manufacturing costs for Stern. That’s why they avoid putting them in games hence everyone complaining about how “bare” other titles are or crying about the lack of “toys” if it’s not a magnet, spinning disc or a simple coil powered mech (ex. Lifting ramp / subway vuk) it’s expensive to add to a game.

That all seems reasonable enough. However, what is not reasonable is that the exact same game with no new mechanisms or changes has been $7999 up until 2 days ago and as of yesterday it is now $8499. And that there are many of us customers who put down $2000 deposits months ago on this game at the $7999 price but have to now pay $500 more as of yesterday. It’s just simply bad business. What is the price going to be on it next week, another $500 more? I realize that I have a choice and can simply cancel my order. But this is not good treatment of loyal customers nor is it a good, ethical business practice in my opinion. This is to say nothing of the roll of the dice with no guarantee on whether the playfield will be of acceptable quality and not chip apart within a few hundred plays. I have won and I have also lost with this crap shoot with stern new in box games. I think many of the newer games are really well designed and are very fun. But after this recent move and decision that they’ve made with Elvira and Batman I am really starting to feel like the customer does not matter to them at all. Not trying to be too dramatic, it’s just quite disappointing.

#6368 3 years ago
Quoted from Macca101010:

Here's another pic of the original ramp vs the current one.[quoted image]

Interesting. Looks like the left ramp had a diverter that sent it around the back of the house to the right inlane. The other path with the dip reminds me of White Water. Would have been cool, but still great as is.

#6369 3 years ago

#6370 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

That all seems reasonable enough. However, what is not reasonable is that the exact same game with no new mechanisms or changes has been $7999 up until 2 days ago and as of yesterday it is now $8499. And that there are many of us customers who put down $2000 deposits months ago on this game at the $7999 price but have to now pay $500 more as of yesterday. It’s just simply bad business. What is the price going to be on it next week, another $500 more? I realize that I have a choice and can simply cancel my order. But this is not good treatment of loyal customers nor is it a good, ethical business practice in my opinion. This is to say nothing of the roll of the dice with no guarantee on whether the playfield will be of acceptable quality and not chip apart within a few hundred plays. I have won and I have also lost with this crap shoot with stern new in box games. I think many of the newer games are really well designed and are very fun. But after this recent move and decision that they’ve made with Elvira and Batman I am really starting to feel like the customer does not matter to them at all. Not trying to be too dramatic, it’s just quite disappointing.

Really is a dick move to pull this on is who put down a deposit and already paying more than the normal premium cost point of $7699 by over $300 now plus another $500. That’s bull sh!t.

#6371 3 years ago

I agree with you that it is bad business. They ought to have asked $8499 at release or retired the title if they felt it was too costly for them to continue production.

Quoted from BeeGee6533:

#6372 3 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I like the drop ramp design and would have made the game even better and really can’t see it costing much more but that is probably why they cut it a few pennies more cost not flow!

Personally I just don’t think the dip ramp worked correctly. A fast shot would easily go airborne and smack the up side of the ramp. The ramp wouldn’t last long with that type of abuse. I believe that was the real reason why it was pulled.

#6373 3 years ago
Quoted from mpdpvdpin:

Does anyone know how many have been produced up to now?

#6374 3 years ago

Approximately 1070

Quoted from KrisGonzo:

Does anyone know how many have been produced up to now?

#6375 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Agreed. Terrible way to do business. Screwing over customers is never smart to do but it seems Stern does it repeatedly because they think they can get away with it withittle to no competition. If Stern was at least ethical, they would have at least honored the price for those that have had deposits down for months now.

Stern better hope CGC doesn't decide to hire some of their designers and make NIB games or they will see a mass exodus of customers tired of the greed and BS.

#6376 3 years ago
Quoted from wtatumjr:

I think the test balloon was the $1000 topper that sold out quickly. At least they didn't try to squeeze another $200 on top of that.

They will.

#6377 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

This is a horrible way to treat loyal customers who pay insane amounts of money for these machines. It’s wrong. It’s kind of mean-spirited.....

......and absolutley not surprising given Stern's track record. Just another bend over and take it moment from Stern reflecting the complete lack of serious competition and a hot market.

#6378 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

......and absolutley not surprising given Stern's track record. Just another bend over and take it moment from Stern reflecting the complete lack of serious competition and a hot market.

I’ve been a very loyal customer and supporter of stern(among other companies like JJP). I like their games. I have no hate towards them at all. Quite the contrary. I admire their creations for the most part and give them lots of my hard earned money(I’m not rich, just a big fan of pinball). But one can only take so much before they reach a breaking point and stop being a loyal customer. The playfield situation is bad. It’s a real problem that they don’t remedy properly for their customers...But OK, I’m trying to stay with ya and keep flippin’. The prices are insanely high for premiums that often don’t have a ton of stuff in them...But OK, the code is good and I may enjoy the theme. But now this? Every customer has a breaking point. I guess that breaking point is different for everyone but I’d hope we’re getting close to it with this kind of treatment. Sorry for hijacking the EHoH owner’s thread. I was supposed to be one with my deposit. Not too sure anymore.

#6379 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

Personally I just don’t think the dip ramp worked correctly. A fast shot would easily go airborne and smack the up side of the ramp. The ramp wouldn’t last long with that type of abuse. I believe that was the real reason why it was pulled.

Once the get the vacuforming mold done I doubt a curvy ramp would cost much more than a flat one. I also think the decision to go simplier was probably based more on performance than cost.

Even with the straight ramp a lot of people had issues with getting alignment to the trunk just right. I think that big dip would have made it a lot harder to get consistent good transfers from the ramp to the trunk.

#6380 3 years ago

Ah, I feel doom coming. My Elvira is leaving on Friday. I sold it under the impression that Stern was going to make another run of these in March, and that 2nd-hand prices would go back down to September levels. Boo. But, I'm a man of my word, and so the deal is done in spite of this new info. Hopefully, Stern will surprise us and not just stop with this upcoming run of games.

I have a hard time believing that they won't run more Elvira's when they're so in demand. Stern's been doing this so long, I seriously doubt that they could've screwed up the BOM on these so much that they're not making money hand-over-fist on them. It is a Kapow game though, so I have no idea how the numbers work on these. I always assumed the extra cost on these boutique games covered Kapow's fees. But maybe not?

Still, I'll be picking up a nice Congo with my Elvira money, so I still have something to be excited for.

#6381 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

Ah, I feel doom coming. My Elvira is leaving on Friday. I sold it under the impression that Stern was going to make another run of these in March, and that 2nd-hand prices would go back down to September levels. Boo. But, I'm a man of my word, and so the deal is done in spite of this new info. Hopefully, Stern will surprise us and not just stop with this upcoming run of games.
I have a hard time believing that they won't run more Elvira's when they're so in demand. Stern's been doing this so long, I seriously doubt that they could've screwed up the BOM on these so much that they're not making money hand-over-fist on them. It is a Kapow game though, so I have no idea how the numbers work on these. I always assumed the extra cost on these boutique games covered Kapow's fees. But maybe not?
Still, I'll be picking up a nice Congo with my Elvira money, so I still have something to be excited for.

Good for you sticking to your word. If only Stern had the same integrity and perspective.

#6382 3 years ago
Quoted from BeeGee6533:

Every customer has a breaking point. I guess that breaking point is different for everyone but I’d hope we’re getting close to it with this kind of treatment.

Don’t take it too personal. Good to set limits unless you have endless money to burn.
Games will change hands and patience pays off.

#6383 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Don’t take it too personal. Good to set limits unless you have endless money to burn. Games will change hands and patience pays off.

Good advice!

#6384 3 years ago

Well, I think the secondary market is to blame as much as stern for price increase as well as covid. They should of honored pre sale orders for sure, and I hope people can get their deposits back. However, if you don't have a contract or sales agreement for a set price , it might be difficult to do. Hope it works out for all , its a great game.

#6385 3 years ago

Joining the club, SLE on the way! Can’t wait to get some time on this pin.

#6386 3 years ago

Decided to keep my preorder for a premium. Talked to the wife and kids and they want to get it. We won’t lose a lot on it if we decide to sell in the future and my wife agreed.

It’s a great pin and would hate missing out on it and pay near retail or more later for a used one if it comes up for sale near me. Don’t like to gamble and rather get the one with less risk of not happening.

I am pissed they jacked up the price but the pin is so worth getting. No pin is must have as far as life and death, but would hate not having it in our collection

#6387 3 years ago
Quoted from BallyKISS1978:

Decided to keep my preorder for a premium. Talked to the wife and kids and they want to get it. We won’t lose a lot on it if we decide to sell in the future and my wife agreed.
It’s a great pin and would hate missing out on it and pay near retail or more later for a used one if it comes up for sale near me. Don’t like to gamble and rather get the one with less risk of not happening.
I am pissed they jacked up the price but the pin is so worth getting. No pin is must have as far as life and death, but would hate not having it in our collection

You'll not regret it. I finally beat it came from space and it was so cool when,,,,,,,, ,, cant tell ya

#6388 3 years ago
Quoted from DakotaMike:

It is a Kapow game though, so I have no idea how the numbers work on these. I always assumed the extra cost on these boutique games covered Kapow's fees.

Elvira HOH is not a Kapow game.

#6389 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

You'll not regret it. I finally beat it came from space and it was so cool when,,,,,,,, ,, cant tell ya

I am not the best player but getting better lol. We played it at Tilt Studios and the family loves it. Even my son with autism said it’s his favorite one there and they have a nice amount of pins Iron Maiden, JP, AC/DC, GOTG, Star Trek, and more.

#6390 3 years ago

Sounds soooooooooo much better with a woofer.

#6391 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Sounds soooooooooo much better with a woofer.

Woof

A46BC1B9-833C-40BE-80DB-0DD00C1D225E (resized).jpegA46BC1B9-833C-40BE-80DB-0DD00C1D225E (resized).jpeg
#6392 3 years ago

Sorry to hear of your sons problems. If this game helps, then who cares what it costs? Go for it!

#6393 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Sorry to hear of your sons problems. If this game helps, then who cares what it costs? Go for it!

I appreciate that, very kind of you to say. He’s a great kid. I have Parkinson’s and it helps me also with my health deteriorating. Playing gives me a great escape from my problems and just makes me happy to have and play them if that makes sense. Worse things I could spend money on like drugs and alcohol.

I turn 50 on the 17th and we are going to the arcade for my birthday. I can’t wait. Growing old is mandatory but growing up is not.

#6394 3 years ago

Distributor just informed me of price increase of $500. Just cancelled my order, get some perspective, they act as if they have you by the balls, $1000 toppers?... c’mon, are you that desperate? grow some balls lemmings, embarrassed that I’m part of this consumer group. When do we take a stand and send a message? Tell em to go fuck themselves... life is too short to be held hostage...ciao!

#6395 3 years ago

I hear ya. People should speak with their wallet to get Stern to listen.

#6396 3 years ago
Quoted from pinrock:

Distributor just informed me of price increase of $500. Just cancelled my order, get some perspective, they act as if they have you by the balls, $1000 toppers?... c’mon, are you that desperate? grow some balls lemmings, embarrassed that I’m part of this consumer group. When do we take a stand and send a message? Tell em to go fuck themselves... life is too short to be held hostage...ciao!

Not a lemming and I have balls. But my family and I love the pin a lot. And for me it’s worth looking like a lemming to see the joy and happiness on my kids and wife faces on getting Elvira in the collection.

It sucks what Stern is doing, but this pin is a must have for my family. You can disagree all you want with me, but seeing my kids and wife happy playing will be worth it.

Any other game that will be easier to get I would definitely cancel, but I don’t think many will pop up for sale near me and if they do it won’t be much lower than NIB. price. I love Led Zeppelin but a hard pass on the pin, value not there for me, but Elvira, it is.

#6397 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Elvira HOH is not a Kapow game.

Damn, that's right. I keep forgetting that. It's a Stern boutique game, but not actually a Kapow one. Though it is kind of a Whizbang production, what with Nordman and Freres on it.

#6398 3 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

It's almost the exact same ramp as he did in Whitewater. Worked fine there.

#6399 3 years ago

I feel for those of you in a quandary about ordering a Premium (or keeping your existing order) after this unprecedented price hike.

For those worried about losing a non-refundable deposit, don’t. At minimum you had a verbal contract with your dealer (more likely an invoice/email showing price and deposit) which has been broken if the price has changed so, absent a signed contract that says otherwise, you are entitled to a refund.

For those of you that stay in - be relentless with your dealer and Stern if you see any significant issues when you get your game (e.g. playfield defects) and don’t be shy about using the effective 10% price increase as justification for holding them to a reasonable standard. It probably won’t make a difference but tie it to the increase.

Most won’t have a significant problem and will have a build with the production fixes for problems that annoyed early owners (most notably the VUK alignment). You will be getting a game that will be considered a classic of this pinball generation and a game that will have timeless appeal even when the character of Elvira fades. You can’t say that about many, if any, recent Stern games (other than Batman 66). For the most part you may remember the theme in a few years from other titles but you won’t remember the game.

If you really enjoy the game it will likely be a keeper making the sting of the price increase will diminish over time. Remember, you will also have dodged the bullet that every early adopter of a Stern game deals with - “will the code end up being good?” You know how awesome the code is now and don’t have to worry that you’ll end up with a great looking game with a dream theme but crappy code.

I went through a similar dilemma when I was in on an LE day one, cancelled it and then scrambled to find another. I thought the price was nuts and was very worried about possible playfield issues. Today I don’t regret my purchase at all. Elvira may very likely be my last Stern pin - and possibly my last pin - for a number of reasons, but if I was buying now the price increase almost certainly wouldn’t deter me.

#6400 3 years ago

Got to factor in the 2 price increases totaling $200 across the board since EHOH was released. And likely another $100 on next release. So the EHOH tax is actually “only” $2-$300.

Still hard to justify but seems less extreme.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Incline Village, NV
$ 20.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 7.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn
Toys/Add-ons
$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation
Decals
$ 6.00
Playfield - Protection
Apron Envy
Protection
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 20.00
Electronics
Gameroom Mods
Electronics
11,500 (Firm)
$ 60.00
Tools
Performance Pinball
Tools
Playfield - Protection
Pin Monk
Protection
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
Cabinet - Other
Pin Monk
Other
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods
Protection
$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods
Backbox
$ 19.95
Electronics
Lermods
Electronics
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk
Other
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 17,982 posts in this topic. You are on page 128 of 360.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club/page/128?hl=krisgonzo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.