“Elvira's House of Horrors Premium or Deadpool Premium?”

• Elvira's House of Horrors Premium 80 votes
    67%
  • Deadpool Premium 40 votes
    33%

(120 votes)

This poll has been closed.

#1 3 years ago

Finally saved up for an NIB Premium (if I can find one)! Does anyone own both Elvira's House of Horrors (Premium Edition) and Deadpool (Premium)? Care to share your comparative impressions and which one you'd keep if you had to choose and why?

#2 3 years ago

I’ve owned both and Deadpool is gone and Elvira remains. I enjoyed both to be honest but Elvira is always the favorite of everyone that comes over. Very approachable and very deep at the same time.

Deadpool is great as well and I’d have a tough time if I was in your position. Elvira seems to hit with a wider audience though.

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from Vitty:

I’ve owned both and Deadpool is gone and Elvira remains. I enjoyed both to be honest but Elvira is always the favorite of everyone that comes over. Very approachable and very deep at the same time.
Deadpool is great as well and I’d have a tough time if I was in your position. Elvira seems to hit with a wider audience though.

Both are great games, but as was stated, EHOH will stay longer and be a better hit with guests. It’s deep, fairly complex, but shoots great at the same time.

#4 3 years ago

I have both Limited Editions, Deadpool is great but I find Elvira HOH a lot more entertaining to play. If I could only pick one, it would be Elvira over Deadpool.

#5 3 years ago

EHOH I thought was allot of fun but on the easy side.

I like hard games though

#6 3 years ago

Elvira, no question! Plus, code-wise it's not quite "done" yet.

#7 3 years ago

Thanks for all of your input! Wow, it is pretty overwhelming in Elvira's favor. Where is everyone purchasing their NIB?

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from Gogojohnnyquack:

Thanks for all of your input! Wow, it is pretty overwhelming in Elvira's favor. Where is everyone purchasing their NIB?

Flip n out Zach's the man

#9 3 years ago

I voted Deadpool because it shoots so good with speed. But maybe I'm biased because I own Deadpool. I have played a lot of Elvira though and have to say it is very good and one of the best Nib you could get. Two of the best right here. Lots of toys in Elvira, lots of speed in Deadpool, either pick is a winner that's for sure.

#10 3 years ago

There probably will be a wait for EHOH, as there is a backlog. You being on the west coast, I’d go with JJ at Game Exchange for the purchase.

#11 3 years ago

I'd get on an Elvira wait list. It's really that good. But DP is really good too. I was trying to decide between DP and IMDn-then EHOH came out.

#12 3 years ago

Great choices and in my opinion the two modern pinballs that get closest to Bally/Williams fun factor.

I have owned both and still have an Elvira. That being said I fully intend on bringing Deadpool back to live alongside.

If I had to choose one then it would be Elvira but you'll have a wonderful machine whichever you choose.

#13 3 years ago

Owned both, still own Elvira. DP is a very interesting shooter with faster game times. Seems to be a little linear for me (most likely I suk as a player ).
Elvira, always has action going on. Every shot seems to score something. Lots of interesting sounds/modes. The player always finds new stuff every game. A simpler shooter and longer game times.

#14 3 years ago

I voted EHOH... that's a sweet game.

#15 3 years ago

Try next level, when more are made. I'd call and get a deposit in if interested

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Try next level, when more are made. I'd call and get a deposit in if interested

Yah from what I know you would be lucky to get one in next run (March I think)... maybe the one after at this point.

I would call every distrib on the Stern website most are probably committed to buyers already.

#17 3 years ago

I have only played EHOH on location, and it seemed like every mode was just a bunch of floating heads on the display. Is that true? Or is that just one mode? or what? Seemed to be nearly all I got to see in some fairly decent games. Kind of turned me off the idea of owning the game, actually, well that and the stop and go wait for Elvira to say something "funny" after every shot.

I own DP pro, it's straight up pinball fun, great shots, great sounds, music and callouts.

#18 3 years ago

The floating heads are not a central mode from the house, but instead are a deadhead mode for the crypt. Bash the crypt a couple of times, crypt opens, shoot crypt and you are now in a floating deadhead mode, keep bashing the crypt until it opens again, shoot it and complete the deadhead mode. There's a ton more to the game than just the deadheads.

Also, you can bypass the elvira speech by hitting both flipper buttons,.just like you can do in DP.

#19 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I have only played EHOH on location, and it seemed like every mode was just a bunch of floating heads on the display. Is that true? Or is that just one mode? or what? Seemed to be nearly all I got to see in some fairly decent games. Kind of turned me off the idea of owning the game, actually, well that and the stop and go wait for Elvira to say something "funny" after every shot.
I own DP pro, it's straight up pinball fun, great shots, great sounds, music and callouts.

The deadheads floating on the display isn’t one of the haunts (modes) per se. Those come out when you open the crypt and shoot a ball in there. You can earn an extra ball by defeating a couple of them. You can have a deadhead running during a haunt tho.

The haunts are started by shooting the house when a room is lit. Each is a bit different so i dont feel like its just hitting a bunch of lit shots. Some take a lot longer to complete where there are only a couple shots lit that will advance you. When you start a mode (And when you complete one) Elvira will say something which pauses the play. You can Hit both flipper buttons to skip that If you like.

I havent gotten too deep into this yet, but started Gappa Angry a few times which is a kickass mini-wizard mode (At least i think that is what you would consider it to be).

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from Fytr:

I had one for a while... its a bit stop and go and I did find the heads annoying

they pop up and you have to hit them to get rid of them.. its supposed to be amusing but I found it irritating.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

I had one for a while... its a bit stop and go and I did find the heads annoying
they pop up and you have to hit them to get rid of them.. its supposed to be amusing but I found it irritating.

I'm not sure what you're talking about "They pop up and you have to hit them"

#22 3 years ago

Stern plans to make more Elvira but not for a few months

www.pinballpro.com

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Elvishasleft:

IDK, I've found you kind of have to be intentional to activate a Dead Head. For me, the crypt shot isn't a commonly used shot, so I find that if I've got a Dead Head, it's because I want one. Especially once the first head is knocked out, it takes multiple crypt hits to get another. It's not generally very accidental, for me anyway.

#24 3 years ago

I can see how someone not super familiar with the rules and stepping up to play it would be confused and frustrated by a some random floating head over top of everything on the screen, with no obvious way to make it go away.

#25 3 years ago

Played EHOH for the first time last week. Never thought the theme was amazing, despite the pinball history, but I enjoyed the hell out of the pin! It's on my Wish List now. I'm in the minority on DP. Played pros and a prem and an LE and just didn't like any of them. I LOVE the theme, but just don't enjoy the game play. I prefer hard pins, so it's not the difficulty that bothers me. It's hard to put my finger on it, but it was just a huge letdown for me.

#26 3 years ago

I am in the minority on this as I have owned both including a deadpool pro and LE.....enjoyed EHOH and you cant go wrong with either, but for pure pinball fun factor that had that 1 more game kinda vibe..........of the two - I miss deadpool.

#27 3 years ago
Quoted from ckorth:

I am in the minority on this as I have owned both including a deadpool pro and LE.....enjoyed EHOH and you cant go wrong with either, but for pure pinball fun factor that had that 1 more game kinda vibe..........of the two - I miss deadpool.

Finally a Deadpool fan! Thanks for your input, @ckorth!

#28 3 years ago

Deadpool is a great game. We have a pro, and ehoh. While dpool is fast, elvira is such a great deep game, I'd definitely go with elvira

#29 3 years ago

I’ve had EHOH for a year now and picked up a Deadpool Premium today. Both excellent games. Both are special. Elvira with the integration, house, heads ,etc. Deadpool has some super unique shots. Both awesome.

#30 3 years ago

Finally a Deadpool fan! Thanks for your input, ckorth!

There have been plenty of Deadpool fans on this thread as far as I can see.

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from KrisGonzo:

There have been plenty of Deadpool fans on this thread as far as I can see.

You are correct, but EHOH is still very much in the lead by over 50%. After checking out your collection, I have to ask - Where would you throw Stranger Things into this mix?

#32 3 years ago

You are correct, but EHOH is still very much in the lead by over 50%. After checking out your collection, I have to ask - Where would you throw Stranger Things into this mix?

Thanks for asking.

I'm not the best player in the world so I'm very aware that Elvira and Deadpool are easier games than some. Stranger Things is a little more difficult and can often drain when you don't deserve it. It seems to propel the ball so quickly towards the outlanes that it's impossible to react.

That being said It's one of my favourite Spike 2 games. I only really have room for 3 machines in my pin shed, Elvira and Deadpool would be two of those but Stranger Things is definitely a contender. I prefer it to Avengers IQ but not sure if I like it more than Jurassic Park.

Great sound, great theme and very addictive but the UV kit has made a massive difference.

I'll be reviewing it soon alongside a lot of others . . . . here's my Deadpool review

#33 3 years ago

i would go deadpool. i know elvira is a deep game and all. but ball times are too long with a very basic layout that is just too easy. the haunted house theme is good and all, but dp is a better all around game. game code and depth are probably average. layout and theme are much better than elvira. i know i'm probably in the miniority saying it's better. but it's just a fun game and there is a lot going on with little dp, the bosses, disco ball, ninja multiball, etc.

#34 3 years ago

I owned HOHLE for 4 or 5 months. Always a guest favorite but it quickly grew old for me. I ended up replacing it with AIQLE and couldn't be happier with that decision. I guess what I'm saying is, to each their own. I have only a dozen or so games on Deadpool so can't give a last ability opinion but I thought is was a blast.

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from Chetrico:

I owned HOHLE for 4 or 5 months. Always a guest favorite but it quickly grew old for me. I ended up replacing it with AIQLE and couldn't be happier with that decision. I guess what I'm saying is, to each their own. I have only a dozen or so games on Deadpool so can't give a last ability opinion but I thought is was a blast.

good point. i've learned my lessons over the years. i think people should go for the theme or game they like. opinions vary. i had Iron Maiden, bought into the hype. but it's just not my thing. it shoots well and all. but i didn't like the music and was bored with it after 4 months. that eventually became deadpool, which i still have. I got ghostbusters over Metallica. and i love metalica. but the GB theme and game always pulls me in. i just like how it plays better. if i were buying a game today i'd get turtles over gnr and aiq. i just like how it plays.

#36 3 years ago

I've been through a good number of games as well, some very highly rated, but ultimately I didn't click with them or got bored. Two of the most highly rated were Lord of the Rings and Star Trek:The Next Generation. LOTR was fun for a while and that left ramp is one of the coolest, but then I'd go down to play a few games in the evening and I wouldn't turn it on, knowing that if I did that I could be in for a l-o-n-g slog of a pretty linear game. I spent some of my best times in the 90's watching STTNG with great friends every week and love the Stern Star Trek, so I thought it would be great. I bought it partially assembled as a project and had fun putting it back together. I had read about what a drain monster it was but figured I could tame it. It is a drain monster. Incredibly frustratingly drainy, plus the lack of modes got boring quickly and it was on the sale block the quickest of anything so far.

The game that has lasted the longest for me is Walking Dead Pro. That game can be evil with short ball times, but when you're dialed in (usually a beer or two deep) and get it going it is a real adrenaline rush. I'm also babysitting a Hobbit and a Dialed In that I could see staying around for a while.

#37 3 years ago

Lord of the Rings and Star Trek:The Next Generation

It just goes to show how our tastes differ (which is cool). Those are my two all time favorite games, and I had them both in my smaller collection for eight years. I'd still buy a STTNG today if the right example came up locally for sale.

#38 3 years ago

I really love Lotr, think it’s one of the best games ever. But was a chore to play and I didn’t end up played more than a few times a month. If I had enough room I’d get one again but only if my collection was like 18 pins large.

I really like both DP and EHOH and if I had to buy another Spike 2 pin those would be my choices.

#39 3 years ago

This is a tough one ... a great pin vs. an amazing pin. And either word can describe either. EHoH is winning, but not because there's anything wrong with DP. It really comes down to patience. You might be waiting awhile for EHoH, word has gotten around on what legs it has, people waitlisting the next run(s). Maybe DP now, EHoH later...?

#40 3 years ago

I may not be that patient... I'm thinking a Stanger Things Premium now while I wait for a DP or Elvira...

5 months later
#41 2 years ago

I’m bumping this thread back up. It sounds like Stern will be making more DP and EHOH in the next 6-9 months. I’m interested in getting something not sure but one of these. I’ve no interest in the other new Stern except for Stranger Things premium.

I love EHOH but the layout is more basic than I’d prefer. DP layout is more interesting with small inner loops and the two way to enter back ramp which is very cool not like anything else in my collection.

I’m not sure tho if DP has enough depth to the code because it does seem like I play the same three Villian modes all the time if only there had been a few different ones to play. I’m not sure about how the team-up battle works is it just hitting the extra shot like Dazzle to assist you in a mode?

#42 2 years ago
Quoted from rai:

I’m bumping this thread back up. It sounds like Stern will be making more DP and EHOH in the next 6-9 months. I’m interested in getting something not sure but one of these. I’ve no interest in the other new Stern except for Stranger Things premium.
I love EHOH but the layout is more basic than I’d prefer. DP layout is more interesting with small inner loops and the two way to enter back ramp which is very cool not like anything else in my collection.
I’m not sure tho if DP has enough depth to the code because it does seem like I play the same three Villian modes all the time if only there had been a few different ones to play. I’m not sure about how the team-up battle works is it just hitting the extra shot like Dazzle to assist you in a mode?

I got rid of Deadpool and still have EHOH. I don't consider myself to be a 'deep code is the best code' type of player (look at my collection), but I got really tired of DP after a month of playing the same three modes. Team up is just like you said: shoot some shots to get the team up bonus, start the mode. I think they are both on the 'easy' end of games, whatever that means -- if that's a concern of yours.

To each their own, there's mine.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Lighting - Backbox
Myth Pinball Parts Shop

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Decals
Space Coast Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

7,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Parsippany, NJ
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

11,855 (OBO)
Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-hoh-or-deadpool-premium?hl=zaki and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.