Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 30 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by pinrock
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

BF1D1067-C2B7-49C5-B1A2-57C4F3D3BC56 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

Looking to buy first pin, narrowed down to these two games. Help decide.
    Thanks

#2 3 years ago

We have both and prefer Elvira. You cannot beat Lyman!

You cannot go wrong with either one. Both are some of the best games ever made

#3 3 years ago

EHoH is supremely charming, and JP is supremely badass. Either one is tops in those categories. Get one now, trade for the other in a year, win win.

#4 3 years ago

Considering it’s first pin, maybe EHOH first. Then JP down the track. Or JP as the second pin you’ll end up buying in 2 months despite convincing yourself you would only ever need one pin in your house. Both would compliment each other well.

#5 3 years ago

Both are great games, I own both. If you buy a JP get a premium.

It really all comes down to theme really. Both games have a great layout, great flow and great rules. You can't go wrong either way. If I had to pick one of them I would maybe pick Jurassic Park because I feel that it is a bit more challenging.

#6 3 years ago

Cant go wrong. Love them both. Elvira does shoots a lot easier.

#7 3 years ago

JP is not a good choice for a first game simply because it's a difficult game to play.

Rob

#8 3 years ago

Both are great, I prefer Ehoh. It’s just so well done from a theme perspective and there is a ton of variety in the code.

#9 3 years ago

I’ve got them literally right next to each other. Had some buddies over last weekend and they all chose Elvira as their favorite game in the lineup. Second place was split between maiden and JP. They rarely play pinball but love playing when they do so they are pretty novice players.

BF1D1067-C2B7-49C5-B1A2-57C4F3D3BC56 (resized).jpegBF1D1067-C2B7-49C5-B1A2-57C4F3D3BC56 (resized).jpeg
    #10 3 years ago

I can’t just seem to jelly with JP2 do my vote even though I’ve played only a few games in Elvira would be Elvira. JP2 is challenging but it’s just missing the mark for me. I can’t quite exactly put my finger on why but yeah something’s just not right for me

#11 3 years ago

I absolutely love Elvira and that’s coming from someone that has no history or nostalgia for Elvira. In fact,
    I just bought one last night. It’s just so much fun. Lots of great shots. Call outs are awesome. Just good old campy fun. Also, with Lyman Sheets on code you know it will get the attention it deserves.

#12 3 years ago

I like JP2 But absolutely love EHOH. It's just so much fun and if its your first pin, will appreciate it more.

#13 3 years ago

Elvira!

#14 3 years ago

Jurassic park..easily. elvira has wierd call outs that get annoying, easy shots, too long ball play and is price way too high. i give it that it does have the master coder making it better and the lighting is cool. jp is a harder game, but the shots and layout are superior to elvira, so is the theme. challenging and deep game. somewhat linear in progression, but still..i would say this and deadpool are the 2 best sterns over the last few years.

you should add a poll. being your 1st pin, i strongly think you should consider deadpool or one of the rock games.

#15 3 years ago

Jp. Elvira is to stop and go. While jp feels like a flow fest once you start banging shots.

#16 3 years ago

Really need to play both and see which you like best. I agree with zaki on Elvira being easy and long ball times. It's a cool game for sure but I prefer other Stern pins that cost waay less. JP2 top of that list. It doesn't have the theme integration of Elvira but much more fun to play. JP2 pro is almost identical to premium in gameplay.

#17 3 years ago
    #18 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phantomtracer:

Looking to buy first pin, narrowed down to these two games. Help decide.
    Thanks

What theme do you like better? Do you like long playing games or more moderate to short ball times?

What game did you like playing more?

#19 3 years ago

I would go Elvira , I love orbits .
    Plus , you have to add a poll .

#20 3 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Jp. Elvira is to stop and go. While jp feels like a flow fest once you start banging shots.

Wow, I feel like Elvira is one of the flowiest games I’ve played in quite a while

#21 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Wow, I feel like Elvira is one of the flowiest games I’ve played in quite a while

I get what your saying, imo it’s got too much theatrics to feel flowy. Sure ya can flip past it, but that didn’t fix rfm for me either.
    Plus, jp is just so swoopy, and loopy. It stages flippers and ques up the next shot.
    Elvira’s great, but we’re comparing it to jp... which is a BEAST!

#22 3 years ago

Good this vs that. Sounds like a close call. Get both! Worry about paying for them next year.

#23 3 years ago

JP for me just due to the side flipper shots. Elvira is super fun too though so it’s not like you’ll have regrets either way. Good luck!

#24 3 years ago

Thanks for the responses. I prefer a harder game. Sounds like the JP premium is way to go.

#25 3 years ago
    Quoted from tilted81:

Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

Elvira flows way better and easier than JP, but unfortunately it doesn't have combos.

Rob

#26 3 years ago
    Quoted from Rob_G:

but unfortunately it doesn't have combos

yet, hopefully Lyman works his magic in somehow like he normally does.

#27 3 years ago
    Quoted from Phantomtracer:

Thanks for the responses. I prefer a harder game. Sounds like the JP premium is way to go.

Elvira isn't easy by any stretch it does need some skill to get those scores pumping. Gappa takes some precision playing. Jp is definitely harder though. Either is a good tradable/offloadable pin down the line which is important.
    My vote is Elvira... by a good way too. Way better theme imo and much nicer to look at whether you go the premium or le. Plus lymans coding still trumps almost any other effort, even the stronger coded games like Jp.

#28 3 years ago
    Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

Good this vs that. Sounds like a close call. Get both! Worry about paying for them next year.

Lol that's some great advice there! You should be a financial advisor!

I am struggling with this exact same delima right now. I love and want them both but I have to settle for one. I'm leaning toward Elvira 3 mainly because I love the theme. I think the games are about equally good probably.

#29 3 years ago

Both fun games. Buy both. But if you have to pick one..

2 flipper fan layout similar to AFM, MM, & others (including a haunted house like MM’s castle)
    Easier shots, basic ramps
    Excellent coding, excellent lighting
    Quirky/funny callouts
    Fantastic display animations
    Ok toys

VS

3 flipper unique layout
    Tougher/tighter shots (more rewarding IMO), better ramps
    Excellent coding, excellent lighting
    Decent stock callouts that DRASTICALLY need movie assets (see *note)
    Fantastic display animations
    Bad ass toys.. hello! an animated, alive Trex eats, chews, roars, and throws the ball!!

*Note- you can run custom code on JP that absolutely blows away the stock code. Amazing actual movie score, movie actor quotes, sounds, etc. It’s awesome

PS, don’t even consider the lackluster JP pro. Not even a contender in this competition

#30 3 years ago
    Quoted from imagamejunky:

PS, don’t even consider the lackluster JP pro. Not even a contender in this competition

I thought the JP Pro was a pretty strong pro? The only difference is the moving T-Rex head and the raptor gate right? Is that really that big of a deal?

#31 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

I thought the JP Pro was a pretty strong pro? The only difference is the moving T-Rex head and the raptor gate right? Is that really that big of a deal?

And an additional up/lock post. But the animated Trex alone makes it worth the extra $$ IMO.
    Imagine a MM pro, without a castle or trolls. Not EVEN the same game

#32 3 years ago
    Quoted from imagamejunky:

And an additional up/lock post. But the animated Trex alone makes it worth the extra $$ IMO.
    Imagine a MM pro, without a castle or trolls. Not EVEN the same game

The T Rex head is definitely cool and I love the Raptor gate as well. I would pay the extra for the Premium personally but I think I could live with a JP pro also if I had to.

#33 3 years ago

Does custom code only work on jp premium?

#34 3 years ago
    Quoted from Who-Dey:

The T Rex head is definitely cool and I love the Raptor gate as well. I would pay the extra for the Premium personally but I think I could live with a JP pro also if I had to.

The pro is just fine. When I was looking to buy a JP2 there people having calibration issues with the t-rex head and even the jaw dropping off. Some people even disable the t-rex to make it a faster game like the pro. I would have been happy with a premium or pro but a pro came along at a good price.

#35 3 years ago
    Quoted from Thomas3184:

Does custom code only work on jp premium?

Currently prem/le only. However a pro version will eventually be made

#36 3 years ago

JP pro is a masterpiece. You will be entertained with either.

#37 3 years ago
    Quoted from manadams:

The pro is just fine. When I was looking to buy a JP2 there people having calibration issues with the t-rex head and even the jaw dropping off. Some people even disable the t-rex to make it a faster game like the pro. I would have been happy with a premium or pro but a pro came along at a good price.

Totally agree. I had more than a few bricked shots trying to get it in the trex mouth. Maybe better with tweaking. It's pretty cool to see the trex pick up the ball the first few times but after that less spectacular. Cool gimmick but not worth $2000. I know you get a few other things on the premium but nothing changes gameplay. It's not like you get a physical ball lock, lift ramp, rgb lighting, or anything like that. Visually they look pretty much the same as well. Elvira costs even more than a normal premium. It's a cool game but at that price level I expect more.

#38 3 years ago
    Quoted from jawjaw:

It's not like you get a physical ball lock, lift ramp, rgb lighting, or anything like that..

Actually on the prem/le you do get a physical ball lock.
    Per Stern's feature matrix,
    "Motorized up/down target guarding the raptor pen (ball captured behind the target operates as a newton ball when the target is hit)"
    Then after multiple hits the gate drops releasing the ball to start raptor multiball.

Edit. I forgot all about the addition of the helicopter horizontal spinner too. It's not a game changer but I do love the helicopter blade sounds when it's spinning. Especially with a subwoofer.

3 months later
    #39 3 years ago

ok, about to pull the trigger on one of these JP Premium or Elvira Premium, but conflicted on which...for those of you that have played with the latest versions of the software, is one of these better, more fun than the other? Or are they about they same goodness? (I thought I heard in a few streams that the lastest Elvira software upgrades may have significantly improved the game)

#40 3 years ago
    Quoted from pinrock:

ok, about to pull the trigger on one of these JP Premium or Elvira Premium, but conflicted on which...for those of you that have played with the latest versions of the software, is one of these better, more fun than the other? Or are they about they same goodness? (I thought I heard in a few streams that the lastest Elvira software upgrades may have significantly improved the game)

I think you should be considering layout more than code when comparing these games. They couldn’t shoot more differently

#41 3 years ago

True, total package?

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-or-jurassic-park?hl=parsonsaj and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.