Topic Stats

• 13 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by BadBrad97
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Weird issue with Elvira. I am missing JUST the speech from Dracula. It doesn't play in test mode either.

Bought and installed new sound ROMS but no dice.

Any suggestions?

#2 9 years ago

Elvira bump

1 week later
#3 9 years ago

No love for Elvira?

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

No love for Elvira?

Plenty of love here for her, just can't help ya. SORRY>>>

#5 9 years ago

Maybe try posting the problem in the EATOM Club Thread...

#6 9 years ago

if everything else works , orobably the rom containing dracs voice , i dont know what one it is on though.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from Astill:

if everything else works , orobably the rom containing dracs voice , i dont know what one it is on though.

I replaced all the sound ROMs and nothing changed. I did find a similar thread about an F-14 that was having a similar issue.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/williams-f-14-missing-sounds-system-11a

The final solution that someone posted was about a Pinbot that sounds promising (although I couldn't identify these ICs on my machine).

"Had this issue with 2 Pinbots,another system 11A game.The first Pinbot had a bad 55564 CVSD which is harder to replace because it is soldered directly to the board.The second game had a bad 6802 microprocessor,easy to replace because it is socketed.Marco has both these IC's"

1 year later
#8 8 years ago

I am going to resurrect this thread. I swapped the ROMS to a board out of a working Pool Sharks and all of the sounds were present.

It has to be the board. So I guess I can either send the board someplace or try to track down which IC is the culprit.

#9 8 years ago
Quoted from BadBrad97:

It has to be the board. So I guess I can either send the board someplace or try to track down which IC is the culprit.

Unless you've got strong electronic skills and a scope I would suggest sending it out for repair (several good guys on Pinside). There's really no easy answer as far as where the problem might be. It will just take some troubleshooting.

One easy thing you can do is reseat any socketed IC's.

#10 8 years ago

Typcially it's one of three things that cause the speech to be gone but not the sound effects.

Bad 55536 CVSD chip,
bad 1458 op amp
bad 10 uf cap (or something like that) in the speech circuit.

Did you swap the roms on the sound board? Elvira produces speech from both the sound board and the MPU board. I think most of Elvira's speech is on the MPU and Dracula is on the sound board.

#11 8 years ago

I just swapped the 3 sound ROMS along with the IC over to the other board. I didn't change the ROMs on the MPU. That sounds right. Elvira's speech was present, only Dracula was missing.

It is probably best for me to get someone to fix it.

#12 8 years ago

Yep, next step is to start replacing some unsocketed chips and a cap.

5 years later
#13 3 years ago

I hate to resurrect this old thread but I have gotten several emails over the years about this problem and was it ever fixed. Elvira is long gone now, but about 2-3 years ago I replaced the soundboard with a rebuilt one that tested good and Drac's sounds came back. Not sure what the problem with the board really was but there was something bad on the board that I never tracked down. The bad board is sitting in my "board graveyard" someplace now.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-missing-some-speech-sounds-for-dracula and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.