4%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D448A7F3-8AEA-40F5-9A92-17356A1B78FE (resized).jpeg
8A7F1061-E657-442F-A3D5-66E1F1CB621A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2510 (resized).jpeg
CE65A826-F0E7-42E3-967A-D26A99D5C5C8 (resized).jpeg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 3 years ago

I was just thinking about the cost of this topper. I think $1K is a lot of money and I completely see the rationale that it should be much cheaper. So I looked at some of my other toppers to see how they compare. I recently purchased the MMR Topper ($600). I love it and it completes the machine really well - and looks perfect next to Monster Bash LE. But it is only sculpts and lights. No mechanics and no "extra features" in the game. So, for $600 I purchased a non-mechanical piece of sculpted topper art.

I then looked at my Ghostbusters topper (Stern version). These are sometimes sold on the used market for $800-$1K due to their rarity. It too is just LEDs without any mechanisms.

Then I look at the Elvira topper. It too has sculpts and led lighting. But it also has a mechanical feature (opens lid to reveal backlit Elvira and deadhead image) and potentially more capabilities in the software - something like Jurassic Park??. So, maybe it shouldn't be $1K but I don't think it is the same as a $200 or $400 topper. It is at least as valuable as the MMR topper - and maybe more depending on the "value" of the mechanics and the integration LS does with the software.

Just my 2 cents.

#52 3 years ago

Changed my vote from Undecided to Yes.

I had settled on getting it yesterday but thought low clearance in my game room might make the decision moot. As it turns out, the 8” high topper should just fit. Although the dealer has not yet committed a topper to me despite my early interest - if he does, I’ll buy it.

I do agree with those that say it completes the game and that factored heavily in the decision but I “justified” it only because I have the other two games in the trilogy and they will probably not leave until after I do.

Pretty sure this will be the first and last Stern topper though because my wife’s attitude took a 180 degree turn after she asked the cost. She thinks a $1k topper is insane and unnecessary and that Stern has gone too far. “You got lucky with your dreams Batman and Elvira but I think we’re done unless Toy Story is awesome. Maybe not even then.” Kind of hard to disagree.

I had started this thread to see how others were thinking. I’m not sure my tortured thought process helps anyone though. If this had come out six months ago at $400-$500 it would have been an easy no-drama decision.

Still disappointed at how Stern handled the topper. And since it seems like there aren’t going to be any special topper-activated modes it looks like my “disappointed either way” comment is going to remain true. I just hope I don’t hear “You shouldn’t have gotten that stupid topper” anytime I’m in the doghouse for the rest of my life.

#53 3 years ago

Topper on the way for me. Great game that deserves the all out treatment!

#54 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Changed my vote from Undecided to Yes.
I had settled on getting it yesterday but thought low clearance in my game room might make the decision moot. As it turns out, the 8” high topper should just fit. Although the dealer has not yet committed a topper to me despite my early interest - if he does, I’ll buy it.
I do agree with those that say it completes the game and that factored heavily in the decision but I “justified” it only because I have the other two games in the trilogy and they will probably not leave until after I do.
Pretty sure this will be the first and last Stern topper though because my wife’s attitude took a 180 degree turn after she asked the cost. She thinks a $1k topper is insane and unnecessary and that Stern has gone too far. “You got lucky with your dreams Batman and Elvira but I think we’re done unless Toy Story is awesome. Maybe not even then.” Kind of hard to disagree.
I had started this thread to see how others were thinking. I’m not sure my tortured thought process helps anyone though. If this had come out six months ago at $400-$500 it would have been an easy no-drama decision.
Still disappointed at how Stern handled the topper. And since it seems like there aren’t going to be any special topper-activated modes it looks like my “disappointed either way” comment is going to remain true. I just hope I don’t hear “You shouldn’t have gotten that stupid topper” anytime I’m in the doghouse for the rest of my life.

Don't think you'll regret it. I have a kiss topper came on the used pro I bought. Nuthin fancy, but makes the game complete. Ehoh topper will do same. Good job on honoring your commitment!!!!!!

#55 3 years ago
Quoted from darquayle:

So, maybe it shouldn't be $1K but I don't think it is the same as a $200 or $400 topper. It is at least as valuable as the MMR topper

If it was $600, I would have definitely bought it.

#56 3 years ago
Quoted from darquayle:

Just my 2 cents.

With only nine hundred ninety eight dollars and ninety eight cents more, you’ll be all set.

#57 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

With only nine hundred ninety eight dollars and ninety eight cents more, you’ll be all set.

Since I’ve already purchased and installed it, I don’t need to keep saving my pennies for it.

#58 3 years ago

new code will be here on Tuesday that will add to the topper.

#59 3 years ago
Quoted from Mark1971:

Source?

#60 3 years ago

I ordered the topper and will honor my commitment to the distributor. Could it be better? Yes. Could it be worse? Yes. If a modder can build a superior topper, or if I can, I will simply replace it. I'm working on a haunted house topper made from a model Victorian Gothic home with tricked out lighting. Trouble is there is no model I am aware of that is an exact match to Elvira's house, but there are some that are close.

For a cheap and easy topper idea, there are some awesome resin 12" gargoyles available and resin or foam gravestones that can have custom lettering carved in. Just add a few led strips and spots and it would cost maybe $40. I'll upload some pics when I get something finished, but with no code integration, these custom toppers could always be a step behind, especially if the new code really nails it. And LOVE the idea about the Backbox leds shutting off as the topper mechanics turn on!

#61 3 years ago

If they reveal their source they will never receive any source of information again

Let's wait until to tomorrow and see how good the info is, after all what else do we have to do other then wait anyway.

#62 3 years ago
Quoted from DeathHimself:

If they reveal their source they will never receive any source of information again
Let's wait until to tomorrow and see how good the info is, after all what else do we have to do other then wait anyway.

Yeah, I get it. What’s one more day, right?

But it’s absolutely ridiculous we’ve heard nothing officially from Stern about this topper by now.

#63 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Yeah, I get it. What’s one more day, right?
But it’s absolutely ridiculous we’ve heard nothing officially from Stern about this topper by now.

This topper is definitely an enigma, which is kind of cool in itself. But if indeed it is limited to 200, that may explain the low key marketing approach.

Where did that 200 figure come from in the first place?

#64 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I agree 1000%, but I'm not surprised. Maybe they are waiting on Jack Danger to do a stream reveal who knows.

#65 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Where did that 200 figure come from in the first place?

Someone mentioned their distributor said it was limited to 200, so third-hand at best. You would think if it is indeed limited there would be some sort of indication of that on the topper (it’s been confirmed there isn’t any).

#66 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Someone mentioned their distributor said it was limited to 200, so third-hand at best. You would think if it is indeed limited there would be some sort of indication of that on the topper (it’s been confirmed there isn’t any).

You would think. But nothing about Stern toppers is “normal”.....like Star Wars topper which had the LE plaque on the back. And I have never seen Stern re-run a topper. 200 does seem excessively low, but it is a low production game.

#67 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

You would think. But nothing about Stern toppers is “normal”.....like Star Wars topper which had the LE plaque on the back. And I have never seen Stern re-run a topper. 200 does seem excessively low, but it is a low production game.

Is it a low production game? I think more people will come around to it like Batman 66, which is now one of Stern's bigger sales hit. I know it instantly went to the top of my want list when I finally got to play one.

#68 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Is it a low production game? I think more people will come around to it like Batman 66, which is now one of Stern's bigger sales hit. I know it instantly went to the top of my want list when I finally got to play one.

It’s definitely low run compared to normal cornerstone releases. And I’ve been told they’re not making any more. But again, third hand info - there’s been nothing official from Stern.

#69 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

It’s definitely low run compared to normal cornerstone releases. And I’ve been told they’re not making any more. But again, third hand info - there’s been nothing official from Stern.

Well I hope the demand picks up because I can't afford it for another year or so.

#70 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Stern did two runs of the Munsters topper but that may be because there were so many quality issues with the first run.

#71 3 years ago

I think toppers are stupid in general and have no idea why anyone would bother.

That being said I dont get the endless griping about this stuff... dont like the price dont buy one.

Its pretty simple.... nobody has a gun to their head to buy these things but they seem to sell every time so the endless whining about prices seems a bit pointless.

#72 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

My third hand (from distributor) info says there is another Elvira run planned early next year. And, unless I missed it, Stern has not done a “last call” for distributors typically done before games are retired from production.

#73 3 years ago

Here is my $99.00 EHOH topper.

IMG_2510 (resized).jpegIMG_2510 (resized).jpeg
#74 3 years ago

$1000. Absurd. Seriously, at what price will people stop buying this stuff? Good for Stern, milk the whales for all they are worth!

#75 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

My third hand (from distributor) info says there is another Elvira run planned early next year. And, unless I missed it, Stern has not done a “last call” for distributors typically done before games are retired from production.

I’m glad u told me that - going to put my name down with our distributor today.

#76 3 years ago

For anyone looking for one, Marco specialties has 2 ElviraHOH toppers in stock as of this morning.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-7105-00

#77 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

For anyone looking for one, Marco specialties has 2 ElviraHOH toppers in stock as of this morning.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/502-7105-00

Well, that didn’t take long. Went to look to see if Marco had any more info in the description and the page says out of stock.

8A7F1061-E657-442F-A3D5-66E1F1CB621A (resized).jpeg8A7F1061-E657-442F-A3D5-66E1F1CB621A (resized).jpeg
#78 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Well, that didn’t take long. Went to look to see if Marco had any more info in the description and the page says out of stock.[quoted image]

Isn't that amazing, for a over priced Over hyped, static image rip off. Haha. Glad I got mine before prices go way up. Hope this ends this debate. But it won't

#79 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Isn't that amazing, for a over priced Over hyped, static image rip off. Haha. Glad I got mine before prices go way up. Hope this ends this debate. But it won't

Well, it was only two.

#80 3 years ago
Quoted from porkcarrot:

$1000. Absurd. Seriously, at what price will people stop buying this stuff? Good for Stern, milk the whales for all they are worth!

Thats the whole problem, $1000 is nothing to a whale! They don’t even feel milked...

#81 3 years ago

My comment is no disrespect to anyone who purchases these toppers and truly hope they enjoy them it's just IMHO. That $1000.00 that I didn't spend on the topper and really wanted one for this machine but not at the asking price point, made it a lot easier for me to go from a GNR SE to an GNR LE machine. I just feel at a certain price point (which this exceeds) my dollars are better off going into another title over a topper.

However hopefully the new code will drop shortly and you folks really get to enjoy them.

#82 3 years ago

I suspect most of us would rather spend $1k toward a new game than a topper.

On the other hand I just saved over $8k by getting the topper instead of GNR.

#83 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

On the other hand I just saved over $8k by getting the topper instead of GNR.

#84 3 years ago
Quoted from Mark1971:

Did your source specify which Tuesday?

#85 3 years ago

Deadflip twitch stream tonight with hot topper action (or maybe inaction?).

#86 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

Deadflip twitch stream tonight with hot topper action (or maybe inaction?).

He also just read through a lot of the new content coming in the next update. Now streaming the new code.

#87 3 years ago

So, new code or not?

#88 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

So, new code or not?

I missed the beginning so I didnt see what version he was calling this but based on what we've seen so far it definitely has new stuff not in the current 0.99 code.

#89 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I missed the beginning so I didnt see what version he was calling this but based on what we've seen so far it definitely has new stuff not in the current 0.99 code.

He called it .99175, so not 1.0 yet. Based on JD's comments, I'd bet we're at least a week away from 1.0. he seemed to imply that Lyman is still plugging away.

It does finally have the build-a-trailer feature. Kinda fun for what it is. Sorta recounts your progress and actions in the game.

#90 3 years ago

Topper has tons of game integration so far, scream pop up on trunk multi ball, light corresponding to gargoyles and crypt, eyes blinking to shots. Looks like its gonna be allright!

#91 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Topper has tons of game integration so far, scream pop up on trunk multi ball, light corresponding to gargoyles and crypt, eyes blinking to shots. Looks like its gonna be allright!

I wonder if the screams during game play will only happen if the topper is installed? It would be cool if the new code had the screams happen for non topper users as well.

#92 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

The scream scared me a few times last night. Not only is it screaming, but when the lid flies open, you feel the game move and it creates a fricken “wtf is happening?!” moment. Haha

#93 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Which really doesn’t make sense since Elvira is already screaming on the translite.
If this is going to be the effect then the code needs to blackout the translite lights when the topper opens.

For $1000, it should come with an alternate translite (because that's, what, like a $5 poster?) that better blends the art with the topper. This way you don't have a grave stone inexplicably over a house, and a person peeking out from under something... while their whole body is below it anyways.

Some toppers that extend the art up over the backglass or are an item that would normally be higher up than a pinball machine (TAF, WW, FT...etc.) really add to the game's look. Just repeating artwork makes it look dumb IMHO. This is why $1K for a topper should give you a non-redundant translite too.

I saw a YT video the other day of a BKSoR with topper. At one point I paused it. In a perfectly symmetrical line up the game you had FOUR Black Knight heads in a row (the toy, the screen, the translite, and the topper). That topper should've have certainly come with an alt translite.

Also, any time they repeat logos, it looks stupid too (TMNT, JP...etc.)

#94 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

For $1000, it should come with an alternate translite (because that's, what, like a $5 poster?) that better blends the art with the topper. This way you don't have a grave stone inexplicably over a house, and a person peeking out from under something... while their whole body is below it anyways.
Some toppers that extend the art up over the backglass or are an item that would normally be higher up than a pinball machine (TAF, WW, FT...etc.) really add to the game's look. Just repeating artwork makes it look dumb IMHO. This is why $1K for a topper should give you a non-redundant translite too.
I saw a YT video the other day of a BKSoR with topper. At one point I paused it. In a perfectly symmetrical line up the game you had FOUR Black Knight heads in a row (the toy, the screen, the translite, and the topper). That topper should've have certainly come with an alt translite.

I agree. Biggest downside to the topper (other than the price) is that Elvira is right over the translite with Elvira.

But not sure I would want an alternate translite without Elvira (and you have the issue of mirrored ones tor LE/SLE owners).

The easiest wat to deal with the issue is to have the code turn off the translite lighting when the topper opens and restore it when it closes (or settings option). That solves the “two Elviras” problem and should be a pretty impressive effect in a dimly lit room.

I think there is already an option to change the translite lighting during a game so I may just turn the translite level to 0 if it isn’t programmatically done by the topper code.

#95 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

The scream scared me a few times last night. Not only is it screaming, but when the lid flies open, you feel the game move and it creates a fricken “wtf is happening?!” moment. Haha

What’s your impression of how the topper interacts with the game? Other than your wtf moment did you notice it much?

#96 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

What’s your impression of how the topper interacts with the game? Other than your wtf moment did you notice it much?

The light show is pretty interactive! I'm looking at the game so i can't see those lights, but this is one of the few toppers I know of, that actually is good at getting you attention while playing!

Here is last nights broadcast.

I'd love to have more toppers, but the hole toppers use in the top of the head, it the hole I use to capture Video/Audio. Toppers occupy/cover that hole.

#97 3 years ago
Quoted from DeadFlip:

Loving it!

#98 3 years ago
Quoted from Yoko2una:

Nothing beats the TWD fish tank topper on top of the TWD fish tank translite on top of the mini TWD fish tank on the back board.

I had to change my translite to this one, which I prefer anyway.

D448A7F3-8AEA-40F5-9A92-17356A1B78FE (resized).jpegD448A7F3-8AEA-40F5-9A92-17356A1B78FE (resized).jpeg
#99 3 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

I had to change my translite to this one, which I prefer anyway.

When I had my TWD, I changed the translite as well. The stock translite is pretty bad. TWD is such a great pin. It deserved better.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-house-of-horrors-topper-poll-discussion/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.