4%

(130 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

D448A7F3-8AEA-40F5-9A92-17356A1B78FE (resized).jpeg
8A7F1061-E657-442F-A3D5-66E1F1CB621A (resized).jpeg
IMG_2510 (resized).jpeg
CE65A826-F0E7-42E3-967A-D26A99D5C5C8 (resized).jpeg
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 3 years ago

The long awaited topper for Elvira’s House of Horrors has finally arrived. Stern has yet to reveal any detailed information on the topper including whether there will be a special mode in the game available only if the topper is connected or if it is indeed limited to 200 units as rumored.

At first glance it appears to be far less interactive than the toppers for Star Wars, BKSOR and Munsters and the price is significantly more than any of those at $999.

I started this thread because I’m interested in initial opinions on whether EHOH owners are planning to buy and to collect general thoughts to forward to Stern.

Unboxing video from Flip N Out:

#2 3 years ago

I expressed my opinion in the owners thread and it’s an easy pass for me. In fact, I find it insulting to the EHoH owners and hobby in general.

#3 3 years ago

I think Stern has a problem when pictures and prices leak out, then everyone starts making assumptions about what it should be for the price, and then when it's nothing close, no one is satisfied... Except for the guy in this video who'd probably love to sell you one.

#4 3 years ago

I am very torn. The price really raised expectations and the rumor of only 200 units triggered a little FOMO, even at $1k. The topper is molded and appears quite solid and I’m sure it would look look great on my LE.

But absent any additional game mode(s) available only if the topper is installed (TBD), I can’t for the life of me comprehend what Stern was thinking. Sure there is probably more licensing with Elvira involved but this is more than twice the cost of the Munsters topper which adds a lot to the game experience.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I am very torn.

I’d really encourage you to pass. It doesn’t make sense to support these types of business practices and if people keep supporting them they will continue and maybe even get worse.

#6 3 years ago

I’m not quite as “insulted” at this, I mean Stern doesn’t “owe” us anything. But for what it includes, paying $1,000 is a stupid purchase.

The sculpt is nice I suppose, but it doesn’t even do much more than flash a bunch of lights. My Michael’s “Spooky Town” buildings do more. And those barely cost $100

#7 3 years ago

I just received mine today (Thanks for the fast shipment Zach & Nicole) and I'm very happy with the outcome. I have limited space for a collection so spending some extra $$$ on each of the machines I own is okay for me. I have toppers on all of them including getting the upgrade recently for the Medieval Madness Remake.

I actually like the look of it. They could have gone a number of ways for a topper and I like that they've done a crypt theme. The Elvira popping out is fine as well. From what I can tell in attract mode, it opens up a little further than when just in test coil mode. So, I'm guessing the software will influence how much it opens.

It would have been nice to have other options as companies like Tilttopper really do make great alternatives to the Stern toppers. Hopefully that will change soon so that everyone has multiple options to consider.

#8 3 years ago

Impressive looking topper!

Ripoff price.

End of story for me.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I am very torn. The price really raised expectations and the rumor of only 200 units triggered a little FOMO, even at $1k.

Stern counts on this when they don’t include for LEs or SLEs buyers.
Now that they add code to these things skys the limit on price as well.
Genius marketing but toppers never an essential purchase for me.

#10 3 years ago

Can someone just please make an aftermarket topper for DP and EHOH, Obviously people are willing to spend $1000 on sub par product. I’m sure modders can produce something decent for around 300-400.

#11 3 years ago
Quoted from Vino:

Genius marketing but toppers never an essential purchase for me.

Toppers aren’t essential for me either, but I enjoy toppers that really add to the game (Whirlwind is a classic) or fits the theme well (Batman LE or Munsters).

But now we have toppers that add additional modes (JP) - is your game somehow ‘incomplete’ without one? If this were $400 I’d probably get it for aesthetics alone but beyond that it’s tough because I don’t expect Elvira will leave my collection any time soon. And we still don’t know if there will be additional code. It’s the “if you want an LE you have to buy it before you know anything” issue but worse.

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I mean Stern doesn’t “owe” us anything.

I agree that, technically, Stern doesn’t owe us anything. However, we also aren’t dealing with a product that is a couple of hundred bucks. An EHoH pin is at least $8000. In my mind, that creates a bit of a partnership (especially when the products being shipped are incomplete) and a different consumer dynamic. For people making that type of investment it shouldn’t be a money grab, it should be a commitment to deliver a high quality product at a fair price. That’s what builds brand loyalty and an undying commitment of customer support.

I’m really surprised people are trying to justify the topper. Just admit it. It sucks and is over priced. That’s the truth no matter how you look at it.

#13 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I’m really surprised people are trying to justify the topper. Just admit it. It sucks and is over priced. That’s the truth no matter how you look at it.

It seems to me that the multiple times you have posted in each of the multiple threads your dislike for the price of this topper, you are the one trying to justify why people shouldn’t purchase it. Not once have I tried to justify my purchase.

That being said, yes, it is expensive and could do more but I am happy with my purchase and it’s build quality. That is all that matters.

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

It sucks and is over priced. That’s the truth no matter how you look at it.

I think you are half right. I agree that it's over priced but I dont agree that it sucks. I think they did a great job on the lighting of it and aesthetically it fits the game really well.

#15 3 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I think you are half right.

I agree with you 100%. It sucks for $1000, but for $400 or so it would be perfectly acceptable.

#16 3 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

why people shouldn’t purchase it

I think it’s obvious why people shouldn’t purchase it, but to each his own. I’m glad you are happy with the topper and your purchase.

#17 3 years ago

If 200 people want to buy this at 1k a pop I’m cool with it. Maybe in the next game we’ll get an extra coil with the 150k profit or whatever they make by selling this.

The only real solution to toppers I’ve found is to not buy them. Well, except for the Beatles as it looked odd in my lineup with the reduced height... they got me on that one for sure.

#18 3 years ago

I think what I’m most disappointed in is the total radio silence from Stern about the topper. We’ve known about it for months and yet still nothing. It’s not like the shooter rod where a picture is all you need to name a decision. I think it either shows total distain for Elvira owners and/or an inability to execute even a minimal marketing plan.

I’ve come to the conclusion that I’m likely to be disappointed if I get the topper and disappointed if I if do. Lose-Lose. Good job Stern!

#19 3 years ago

I screamed like the topper ... when I saw the price !

#20 3 years ago

I just got my topper from Zach and I love it. To me, this pin is a keeper and I loved maxing out the pin to look its best. Everything in this hobby is expensive, but you don’t have to buy it or go to a cheaper route. I think it really adds to the pin and I find myself just staring at the pin and the topper because I love Halloween, pinball and the Elvira character. The lights interact well and I swear it looks like the skeleton’s eyes follow you when you shift Your body slightly to the left and the right. Crazy, I know, but it does bring a smile to my face and that’s all that matters.

In closing....Yes.....it’s expensive. But we all know if you don’t get one now (if you’re on the fence) they’re going to be tougher to find later on and probably more expensive. I sold a Kiss topper I put on my pro and that thing was really nothing but boy did it demand some prices from some Pinsiders looking for one now, just like the TWD topper.

#21 3 years ago

For those that have it in hand, did I miss a code update?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree with you 100%. It sucks for $1000, but for $400 or so it would be perfectly acceptable.

To you sure, I wouldn't pay 1K for it either then again I don't put toppers on my pins but for someone with an LE who loves Elvira and has a dream theme pin, oh yeah and money? its a no brainer.

#23 3 years ago
Quoted from Krupps4:

I agree that, technically, Stern doesn’t owe us anything. However, we also aren’t dealing with a product that is a couple of hundred bucks. An EHoH pin is at least $8000. In my mind, that creates a bit of a partnership (especially when the products being shipped are incomplete) and a different consumer dynamic. For people making that type of investment it shouldn’t be a money grab, it should be a commitment to deliver a high quality product at a fair price. That’s what builds brand loyalty and an undying commitment of customer support.

Just to be clear, I wasn't taking a shot at you, just summing up how I feel. I'd be totally in on this thing if it was... maybe $400. But as it is, I'm gonna build my own!

#24 3 years ago
Quoted from GorillaBiscuits:

If 200 people want to buy this at 1k a pop I’m cool with it. Maybe in the next game we’ll get an extra coil with the 150k profit or whatever they make by selling this.
The only real solution to toppers I’ve found is to not buy them. Well, except for the Beatles as it looked odd in my lineup with the reduced height... they got me on that one for sure.

It just occurred to me that Stern will probably make at least $150,000 profit on this thing. Wish I hadn't thought of that.

#25 3 years ago
Quoted from BillyPilgrim:

For those that have it in hand, did I miss a code update?

v 0.99 is the current code. It adds the topper adjustments in the service menu and the lighting support for the toppers seen in the videos. We are all hoping there is more topper specific code in 1.00 and above, which is expected this month.

#26 3 years ago

I have the topper on order and I'm looking forward to receiving it.

The price is a joke, there's no way around that, and I don't even like toppers generally. However, this machine is absolutely incredible, and likely the last to ever come into my collection, so I'm biting the bullet and completing the package. I'm guessing Stern is banking on people like me who know they're getting gouged but really, the whole machine is a special release and more expensive so they know their market. If someone was in on an LE machine then they'd also be in on a ridiculously priced topper.

It does look pretty great though, thankfully!

#27 3 years ago

I was told by stern today that they planned to coordinate V1.00 with topper release, which will have even more topper effects and more use of the sneak scare lid feature. It has plenty of effects now, but sounds like a 1.00 code is coming for Elvira soon, so that’s good news all around. People questioned the choice of a new Elvira title, but now many owners such as myself love this game and now have a great looking topper to cap it

#28 3 years ago

Marketing wise it seems to me like the 2020 version of the pet rock. You’d think there would be a bunch of “tech nerds” that buy these machines that could do better on a budget of about $100. Can’t sacrifice that deep interaction that this topper has with the game I suppose. /sarcasm

#29 3 years ago

I find it offensive

#30 3 years ago

so are they sending a topper to the SLE buyers? Those buyers already paid 5k+ for a swatch of a couch, do they get a topper for free, or have to pay more again?

#31 3 years ago
Quoted from Mar:

this machine is absolutely incredible, and likely the last to ever come into my collection, so I'm biting the bullet and completing the package. I'm guessing Stern is banking on people like me who know they're getting gouged but really, the whole machine is a special release

This might be the best explanation. Whatever you think of the topper it looks great and does complete the machine.

And I can relate to the “last ever” comment. I don’t have room for any more games (saving an emergency spot if JJP makes Toy Story or BTTF) and can’t really see getting another Stern game. It was hard to let a family favorite go to make room for EHOH. “Completing the package” with the shooter rod and topper could be the way to go.

#32 3 years ago

I'm betting that none are available after a few days again. The few people who bailed on their orders, those toppers will be snatched up quickly. Some people like em, most on this thread hate em. That's ok. Buy what you like, decline what you dont. In the end, if you ordered from a distributor, put money down sight unseen, I think you should honor your order.

#33 3 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

I was told by stern today that they planned to coordinate V1.00 with topper release, which will have even more topper effects and more use of the sneak scare lid feature. It has plenty of effects now, but sounds like a 1.00 code is coming for Elvira soon, so that’s good news all around. People questioned the choice of a new Elvira title, but now many owners such as myself love this game and now have a great looking topper to cap it

Well, looks like Stern failed miserably in coordinating the code and topper release unless there was a “do not release before” on the topper given to distributors and one or two jumped the gun. Even so, the lack of any info from Stern on the topper is a pretty basic marketing failure.

I’m not sure who questioned the choice of a new Elvira title - many of us had been waiting for it for six years or so since Dennis first brought it up the idea of a third game.

For those that appreciate pinball involves more than games released in the last few years, having a trilogy of hit games from three major eras of pinball designed by the same key trio (with a major assist from one of the best gameplay designers in the last twenty years), EHOH is an unparalleled pinball success story, especially given how perfectly it both complements the other two titles and stands on its own.

(P.S. ZMeny - thanks for the unboxing video. Nicely done.)

#34 3 years ago
Quoted from Tilt:

so are they sending a topper to the SLE buyers? Those buyers already paid 5k+ for a swatch of a couch, do they get a topper for free, or have to pay more again?

If this is a serious question - the answer is no.

If not - LOL !!

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If this is a serious question - the answer is no.
If not - LOL !!

Did you buy , order and cancel or going to buy?

#36 3 years ago

Just curious as you started thread. I wont judge you !!

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Did you buy , order and cancel or going to buy?

I have an order in that should be ready to ship next week but have not been invoiced yet. I’m the one “undecided” in the poll so far but right now more likely to keep the order than cancel it.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I have an order in that should be ready to ship next week but have not been invoiced yet. I’m the one “undecided” in the poll so far but right now more likely to keep the order than cancel it.

Me too, I informed distributor I would pick it up. I still think it will be good addition to a great game. Does look great up there, but is a little underwhelming. Good luck with your decision

#39 3 years ago

This topper is more like the molded Chicago Gaming toppers. Yes it overpriced, but if there’s only 200, the price will be higher later. Look what Aerosmith, KISS, GB and TWD toppers are bringing.
The topper lighting is already coded in pretty well during gameplay, as well as Elvira popping up to scare/scream at you in attract mode.

CE65A826-F0E7-42E3-967A-D26A99D5C5C8 (resized).jpegCE65A826-F0E7-42E3-967A-D26A99D5C5C8 (resized).jpeg
#40 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

as well as Elvira popping up to scare/scream at you in attract mode.

Which really doesn’t make sense since Elvira is already screaming on the translite.

If this is going to be the effect then the code needs to blackout the translite lights when the topper opens.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from RebelGuitars:

This topper is more like the molded Chicago Gaming toppers. Yes it overpriced, but if there’s only 200, the price will be higher later. Look what Aerosmith, KISS, GB and TWD toppers are bringing.
The topper lighting is already coded in pretty well during gameplay, as well as Elvira popping up to scare/scream at you in attract mode.
[quoted image]

I think it looks great, and can't wait for mine!

#42 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Which really doesn’t make sense since Elvira is already screaming on the translite.
If this is going to be the effect then the code needs to blackout the translite lights when the topper opens.

Great idea. Hope stern uses that!

#43 3 years ago

Lucky it's a new idea to charge for toppers otherwise imagine what the modesty sticker would have "cost" on the original Elvira

#44 3 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

No question you have to buy the topper. It’s a complete ripoff, and verging on insulting, but you will 100% regret it if you don’t. That’s why you feel burnt by Stern - because you know that they know you’re going to buy it regardless. But is it really worth making a moral stand? It’s not going to make any difference if you do, because they’ll still sell out.

#45 3 years ago

Personally, as a business owner myself, if I or someone orders something, sight unseen, unknown price, then its theirs. Not fair or right to leave someone else holding the bag for you.

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Personally, as a business owner myself, if I or someone orders something, sight unseen, unknown price, then its theirs. Not fair or right to leave someone else holding the bag for you.

If it’s a confirmed order, I agree. But the recent GNR CE debacle shows that an “order” has a porous definition for some pinball distributors.

What Stern did with the topper was borderline unethical. Distributors were just as much in the dark with this topper as we were/are and had to order blindly weeks/months? ago based on nothing but an old teaser picture (and maybe a comment that production would be limited). Granted they have to do this all the time with new games but it seems like high priced accessories are far riskier unless the margins for distributors are significantly higher.

#47 3 years ago

Key words in your post are, all we had, in the dark, which means we all went in blindly. Im not knocking you, just saying in my way of doing things, your word is a contract. I told him to order, and when order was filled, I confirmed I will pay upon pickup. As far as what jjp did, makes me absolutely not wanting to support them with any purchase at this time. My opinion only tho,,

#48 3 years ago

It's so boring as a topper. Could have done so many more fun things, like a little projector to show a dead head floating around the wall

EHOH is a great game. Reminds me of Batman 66, which had a cool projector topper that really got people's attention from across the room.

Sculpts are nice though.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from TreyBo69:

Could have done so many more fun things, like a little projector to show a dead head floating around the wall
EHOH is a great game. Reminds me of Batman 66, which had a cool projector topper that really got people's attention from across the room.

And Pinside would have complained “Yawn. Same as Batman”.

#50 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Im not knocking you, just saying in my way of doing things, your word is a contract. I told him to order, and when order was filled, I confirmed I will pay upon pickup.

I guess if these toppers are such hot commodities and so limited that a distributor wouldn’t care if someone passed on an order because the distributor would just be able to sell it to the next person in the long line of people to get that topper.

Your argument is a bit form over substance unless the toppers aren’t selling at all.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

Trade
Machine - For Trade
St. Petersburg, FL
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

11,855 (OBO)
$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

9,000 (Firm)
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

10,000 (Firm)
$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 12.95
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 99 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-house-of-horrors-topper-poll-discussion/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.