(Topic ID: 265352)

Elvira HOH vs TZ

By Sinistarrett

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic poll

“Which is your choice for best game?”

• TZ 74 votes
      65%
    • EHOH 39 votes
      35%

(113 votes)

#1 4 years ago

So Im considering selling a couple of pins and looking into picking up a TZ.
    However, Im also drawn to EHOH but havent been able to play it yet.
    For those that played/own both, which do you think is the better overall game?

#2 4 years ago

I don't think you can even compare the two. EHOH shoots really nice but TZ has all manner of toys and playfield depth that EHOH does not. I was torn between EHOH and SW Comic and put substantial time on both and chose SW, but i will say eventually I will want an EHOH once the code progresses a bit more. The theme integration on both TZ and EHOH is great. If i had to choose i'd probably pick EHOH just for the ease of maintenance factor.

#3 4 years ago

I have both - EHOH is absolutely one of the best theme-integrated games ever. Second only to Hobbit, IMO. It is Very fun, shoots fast, one of the top recent Stern games - it actually has a subway! But it’s not yet finished, and the old dependable but predictible fan layout.

That said, TZ is an all time classic, has MANY very interesting modes, the mini playfield, 4 flippers, lots of interesting shots... 5 million mods... it’s lasted 25 years and is an all time classic.

I don’t think either of these will ever leave, but Id go with TZ, as it’s a ton of game in an awesome package. Stood the test of time.

#4 4 years ago

I have both. TZ is the best pin ever imo. Elvira HOH is up there close and will be closer with finished code. I have had 18 Sterns and after 3 weeks I like the total package as good as any . You really need both eventually

#5 4 years ago
    Quoted from wolfy:

You really need both eventually

Yes!

So for the TZ owners how difficult is it to keep TZ running on all cylinders? Is it really high maintenance?

#6 4 years ago

I think it’s like comparing apples to oranges. They are just completely different games. As a result, it’s hard to say one is better than the other. I guess my first question is do you prefer modern pins? If so, Elvira. Do you like to fix and work on pins? If so, TZ. Both great games. Just a matter of preference.

#7 4 years ago
    Quoted from Sinistarrett:

Yes!
    So for the TZ owners how difficult is it to keep TZ running on all cylinders? Is it really high maintenance?

Not an owner but I help maintain several pins on location. TZ clock is messed up currently and haven’t had the courage to mess with that yet

#8 4 years ago

Yes!

There are things that might/will need attention..the clock, trough boards, etc. but once they are fixed correctly and played in a home environment, it’s as solid as they come.

#9 4 years ago

Yes!

No. It has a lot of parts, but so does EHOH - if you do the commonly recommended maintenance (upgrade to Ingo's clock board for example), it's as solid as any other game, and much more easy to keep running than STTNG.

#10 4 years ago

Yes!

I have had mine for many years and it is bulletproof. I got it and fixed a few things. None were mechanical or electronic in nature.
    Added a Kahr board to stop resets.

Came with a color DMD that is nice.

Love this pin. Never leaving.

#11 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

I have had mine for many years and it is bulletproof. I got it and fixed a few things. None were mechanical or electronic in nature.
    Added a Kahr board to stop resets.
    Came with a color DMD that is nice.
    Love this pin. Never leaving.

Bulletproof None were electronic in nature If you added a Kahr pcb you have an electronic issue.

#12 4 years ago

TZ is an awesome theme but the pin is boring and pretty dang clunky with some blind shots. I wanted to love it and owned it for a few years but its just not that much fun and has zero sense of humor and certainly no sex appeal. I say ehoh!

#13 4 years ago

I've had my Twilight Zone for nearly 9 years and have not had any issues with it. When I got it I did put new flipper mechanisms in as well as several new parts. It still has the original clock board and it's never failed.

#14 4 years ago

TZ is an all time classic and certainly one of the best pins ever made. However, I find its ruleset to be rather outdated at this point and the main modes not very interesting besides two of the multiballs. I would go with EHOH.

#15 4 years ago

I see 80s games and modern Sterns in your collection. I would vote Twilight Zone just to have variety in your collection. I've played both, and both are great. This isn't really a question between good and bad, but a question of would you rather go out with Ms. California or Ms. New York. You can't go wrong.

#16 4 years ago
    Quoted from SantaEatsCheese:

I see 80s games and modern Sterns in your collection. I would vote Twilight Zone just to have variety in your collection. I've played both, and both are great. This isn't really a question between good and bad, but a question of would you rather go out with Ms. California or Ms. New York. You can't go wrong.

I vote Ms. California

#17 4 years ago

TZ in the lead with almost twice the votes.
    Im gonna have to get some time in with Elvira to help make the decision. Location pinball is pretty weak here where I live so may have to wait till the next pinball show, whenever that may be.
    Really appreciate all the input!

#18 4 years ago

TZ in the lead with almost twice the votes.
    Im gonna have to get some time in with Elvira to help make the decision. Location pinball is pretty weak here where I live so may have to wait till the next pinball show, whenever that may be.
    Really appreciate all the input!

Elvira is unexpectedly awesome and very fun - but it's still kind of an unknown how the story will end. TZ is a very reliable known awesome game.

#19 4 years ago

tz, not even close. Elvira typical fan layout, tz very unique layout.

#20 4 years ago
    Quoted from ccbiggsoo7:

tz, not even close. Elvira typical fan layout, tz very unique layout.

GLWTS

#21 4 years ago

If I had to move it up/down the stairs again--Elvira all day.

#22 4 years ago

I view Elvira as a game in progress, and while I am impressed with Elvira and could see it as being ranked as high as TZ at some point in the future, I felt like I should address the comments about TZ needing repair. A key consideration regarding TZ maintenance is the fact that, even though the game was originally manufactured about 25 years ago, there is still a pretty impressive supply of replacement parts for the potentially troublesome components. As two examples, there are still readily available versions of replacement parts for the clock and the ceramic ball optos. I owned the game from 2000 to 2017 and found both available parts and considerable internet information to help with diagnosing and fixing any issues I encountered. (by the way, I sold the game because I was forced to downsize and had to reduce my collection from 22 machines to 3, and my wife still tells me I was a fool to sell TZ).

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from Billy16:

If I had to move it up/down the stairs again--Elvira all day.

LOL I think many would agree

#24 4 years ago

Elvira is amazing. TZ is one of those games that never clicked with me. Sometimes having a lot of stuff is good. Sometimes it makes it a disjointed clunkfest. This is my dark secret unpopular opinion. Downvote me into nothing

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from Brtlkat:

Bulletproof None were electronic in nature If you added a Kahr pcb you have an electronic issue.

I added the Kahr to prevent resets.

#26 4 years ago

TZ is built from a different era from a much better manufacturer. Comparing a Stern to a 1990’s W/B is no comparison at all in the maintenance or long term build Dept.

#27 4 years ago

I wish I could comment on EHOH as it looks to be a really fun game. I've owned a TZ for about ten years and found it to be solid. The eddy sensors are the only thing I've had a few problems with. The overall package is really well done from music to voice to artwork and gameplay. For me that would be the last machine to leave. Good luck on your decision.

#28 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

I added the Kahr to prevent resets.

He's technically right, but it's kind of trolling. Rob's board is amazing. You do technically have an issue, but it's pretty unlikely to ever be an isssue, so just play your game!

3 months later
    #29 3 years ago

Tz all the way!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-vs-tz?hl=chalkey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.