(Topic ID: 277495)

Elvira HOH problem is driving me nuts - Any opinions?

By dschulpius

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 18 posts
  • 10 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by dschulpius
  • Topic is favorited by 3 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DSC01858 (resized).JPG
DSC01856 (resized).JPG
DSC01860 (resized).JPG
DSC01857 (resized).JPG
#1 3 years ago

Hi everyone. I have a Elvira House of Horrors. It's an early build. I love it and it quickly became one of my favorites. However it has one problem the is driving me crazy. I've asked this question in the EHOH Owner's Club topic but I think I was too vague with describing my problem. No answers that helped. I'm thinking I have a defective build. I've now got video and pictures! LOL.

Anyway, the issue is that about 5 times a game when I plunge the ball it gets stuck under the first gate located behind the house and above the pop bumpers. The Skill shot object is to plunge the ball easy enough to drop it into the back door hole and not to hard so it loops all the way around the rear loop and out to the flippers. My issue is that too soft of a plunge and it ends up resting behind the gate on the ball guide just before the guide bends down towards the back door hole. I then need to shake the whole game to get it to dislodge and slip back down into the pops.

I've tried increasing the slope of the PF to let gravity pull it out. This helps however then game play is way too fast for my taste. I have the angle already set at recommended settings. This tells me other don't have this problem at the proper angle. I've also removed the ball guide and gave it a bend outward into the ball trail to help the ball roll out from under the gate. This improved the hangup about 50%. Before I was getting at least 10 hang ups a game.

It's not only me and my technique. I've had non pinball playing friends come over to play and it happened to them.

I'll post a YouTube link to a video of this happening and some pictures of a look at the area. I'll also post a few pics. Any ideas or suggestions will be welcomed. At last resort I'll call Stern or the place I bought it from, "Little Shop of Games". Great guys! If it's a manufacture defect I may need new parts? Here's the youtube vid and some pics. Thanks for your insight:

DSC01856 (resized).JPGDSC01856 (resized).JPGDSC01857 (resized).JPGDSC01857 (resized).JPGDSC01858 (resized).JPGDSC01858 (resized).JPGDSC01860 (resized).JPGDSC01860 (resized).JPG

#2 3 years ago

Dude that dramatic music from the game playing while you’re having problems makes this video hilarious in a way

Hope you get fixed up though

#3 3 years ago

I had the same thing happen to my game of thrones, if the ball was going to slow it would get stuck under the gate. was a pain for like 3 years.
my ball gate was mounted from the backboard, so I took one screw out and tilted it as a temporary fix (it worked better, but not 100%. You could at least nudge it loose). Yours is a little different mounting wise, maybe adding a spacer on the front.

After time, I had to get it working better because of a loop fix I was putting in. I stole the ball gate out of my star trek and compared them, they looked identical.
Except the thrones one didn't open up as high. Replaced it now its 100%, might be the same with yours?

#4 3 years ago

Hmm...can you raise the the mech itself? You can at least in lease its height using washers on thos front. 2 screws...csnt see how it's attached in the back and if that's possible, but I would be trying some washers for sure.

#5 3 years ago

You gotta call Stern - something is wrong with that gate. I do plunges like that ALL the time, and usually the ball either fires all the way around the orbit, or it bounces back and into the pop bumpers.

#6 3 years ago

I had this exact same issue with my MMR. It has a very similar functioning gate and too was acting up like your video. Here is the problem and solution. The gate at rest, metal flap down, is supposed to block the orbit shot and redirect the ball to the pop bumper area. When coli is actuated, it pulls the metal flap up, and ball is supposed to clear under the metal flap and come around the left side full orbit. The rules / software decides when this is actuated. The problem is this. When the gate is in the up position, it is not traveling high enough to have the ball clear underneath it. A shot with a lot of force will make it through with momentum. A soft shot will get trapped under the flap because it doesn't have enough clearance and momentum. You will find the metal flap, when up, is rubbing enough to get the ball partially past but not enough to get through. It gets trapped between the metal flap and playfield. Shake the game all you want, but it won't budge without being manually cleared. It's frustrating, especially when you have to keep taking the glass off.

Here is the solution. You have to take the gate apart and examine it. For MMR, it was a real pain in the ass. I had to disassemble the castle, take the left ramp off and depopulate half of the upper components of the game. Chicago Gaming sent a tech to my house, I live in IL, and he and I worked together to get this apart. We found that all the re-bending and re-forming of the blue metal flap didn't make a difference. Sometimes would work, sometimes not. Luckily the tech brought a new gate with him. We compared the new gate to the old, and we found the metal flap was bent at 1/8 of an inch off of where it was supposed to be bent. This made the hanging portion 1/8 of an inch longer, thus causing the problem. It was bent incorrectly at the factory, assembly plant. We replaced the gate with a new one, and when coil was actuated, it lifted the flap much higher. Clearance was no longer an issue and has worked 100% for years now.

I don't have an Elvira HOH but I bet you are having this same issue. Not sure how hard it is to get to this gate, possibly from behind the wood panel, or you may have to take a lot apart. Your best option is to get a new gate under warranty, and change it. Don't try bending and adjusting beyond one or two times. You will just get frustrated. Try and get the gate changed out. If your not comfortable doing this, you will have to work with your distributor to get it fixed.

Don't feel bad about this. It happens. The QA guys at Stern can't put a lot of test plays on it, enough to find this as an issue during QA. It's one of those nuances subtle things you just have to work through. The metal flap was off at the time the gate was assembled and just made it through into your game. Get this fixed and you will love your game again.

Thanks
Dougram69

#7 3 years ago

I would try to raise the bracket, give it a (test) bend it slightly, try the bracket and or the gate flap itself and see if problem gets better. If it does take apart and raise the bracket with some spacers or washers. Good luck.

#8 3 years ago

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. Sounds like the gate or flap is too low. I like the idea of getting a new gate. I'll pursue that avenue.

I want to continue playing this game cause I love it so. Till I get the new gate I'll try a couple washers under the attachment points to raise it a bit. The problem is (if you look at the first picture under the video) the backboard plastic sits over the gate and it's top nut won't allow the assembly to move up any higher. I'll have to see if I can work around that. IT's not too hard to get to the attachment screws as there ar only the two seen in the picture. The gate just hangs over the ball trail from the front. It's not attached in the back (Thank God). I may be stuck with my only option of getting a new gate that will lift the door higher.

Now if only I can get that damned crypt kickout Vac dialed in. However that's another problem for another thread.

I'll keep this thread posted on the gate. Thanks again!

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and tips. Sounds like the gate or flap is too low. I like the idea of getting a new gate. I'll pursue that avenue.
I want to continue playing this game cause I love it so. Till I get the new gate I'll try a couple washers under the attachment points to raise it a bit. The problem is (if you look at the first picture under the video) the backboard plastic sits over the gate and it's top nut won't allow the assembly to move up any higher. I'll have to see if I can work around that. IT's not too hard to get to the attachment screws as there ar only the two seen in the picture. The gate just hangs over the ball trail from the front. It's not attached in the back (Thank God). I may be stuck with my only option of getting a new gate that will lift the door higher.
Now if only I can get that damned crypt kickout Vac dialed in. However that's another problem for another thread.
I'll keep this thread posted on the gate. Thanks again!

If you want a new gate I would send your pics and videos to the Stern support e-mail They can confirm what the problem is and then they will have you put in a warranty request with the part number through your distro. Often times, your distro will have someone come out to replace the part if it is something you feel you cannot (or don't want to) do yourself.

#10 3 years ago

Somtimes you just have to bend the shit out of some metal to get a machine to work correctly.

#11 3 years ago

I think I have this fixed. Thanks for the support and ideas. I actually ended up following them all. LOL.

First I removed the whole gate assembly bracket. In doing so I found there is a little adjustment between the hole sizes and the two blots used to anchor the unit down to the ball rail. This allowed me (after I reinstalled it) to twist the front of the gate towards the backboard and pull it down towards the orbit above the pops. Granted it was only about 1/16 of and inch it looked like a mile. I think this gives the ball a little more room to start rolling with less friction from the gate door.

While I had the unit out of the game I removed the drop down gate from the rest of the bracket. I did this by pulling out the hardened wire it pivots on. I had to cut off the smashed end that kept it in place (when replacing it I had to smash it flat again with a hammer to anchor it in). Once the drop down gate was out I put it in a vise along the edge of the bend and bent it upwards a little giving it less of an angle. In theory this would help it raise higher off the playfield.

I also did one more thing to the drop down gate before reinstalling it back into the assembly bracket. The bottom edge closet to the PF has a lip bent inward. I noticed this lip would drag against the ball as it tried to slip out from under the gate after it was trapped from the soft plunge. I put that lip into my vice and smashed it flat a bit. I probably took out 75% of the lip. The result is that the ball slips out with less friction from a sharp edge pointed back at the ball.

The result is that I'm not having the problem anymore I show above. The ball slips out just fine when caught behind the gate. I have no idea which fix did the trick. Maybe all of them. Bottom line is something is not right with my game and I'm still not sure what it is. I've got a workaround that will probably last forever. Hopefully.

Thanks again for all your help. It gave me the direction I needed.

#12 3 years ago

After the fix and playing I've noticed an odd thing.

As stated I had to remove the house and gate assembly to repair this issue then reattach everything when fixed. I've had this house removed once already in the past but not the gate assembly. Before this last removal and reassembly I was struggling to break 500,000,000. I was playing my butt off and a few times I completed Gapa Angry, Attic Attack and all the house haunts. (I play 5 balls). Now that the fix is complete and working my score has jumped to commonly scoring over 5,000,000,000.

What could have changed? It certainly wasn't my game play. I've had better games before my fix and my scores are more then 6 times greater now. Is scoring above 3,000,000,000 usual with this game?

#13 3 years ago

For me scoring above 250,000,000 is a good game! Not knowing how much of a pin wizard you are I’d say something is registering when it shouldn’t be. Does it score when you aren’t doing anything or when you hit the flippers and cause vibration?

#14 3 years ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

As stated I had to remove the house and gate assembly to repair this issue then reattach everything when fixed. I've had this house removed once already in the past but not the gate assembly. Before this last removal and reassembly I was struggling to break 500,000,000. I was playing my butt off and a few times I completed Gapa Angry, Attic Attack and all the house haunts. (I play 5 balls). Now that the fix is complete and working my score has jumped to commonly scoring over 5,000,000,000.
What could have changed? It certainly wasn't my game play. I've had better games before my fix and my scores are more then 6 times greater now. Is scoring above 3,000,000,000 usual with this game?

Not common

#15 3 years ago

I'm no wizard. LOL. I have lucky games once in a while but nothing that would explain a 6x increase. I guess I need to do a switch edge test to see if there are any closed switches that should be open. I see no issues in game play or sound call outs. I'll keep this thread posted.

#16 3 years ago

Leave the ball in shooter lane and bang around the playfield see if your score starts going up ( or you can try switch test) it’s probably one of your ramp opto’s out of alignment from all the work you just finished.

#17 3 years ago
Quoted from dschulpius:

Thanks for the advice. The problem did turn out to be a misaligned ramp opto. It's the right ramp that turns around over the pops. Every time the pops would go off the ramp opto would register like a ball was going through it. Seems every time the ramp shook the opto would move and see the edge of the peep hole it's shining through. Double scoring and all the stuff that goes with making a ramp shot just just from a ball in the pops. LOL.

Now I'm back to normal scoring. Kind of a let down seeing the smaller scores. I thought I was really something there for a while. LOL.

#18 3 years ago

Well, after a few games I was still getting a few phantom opto triggers on the right ramp. I think I finally fixed my problem though. Finally found that the "U" shaped opto bracket that wraps under the ramp was spread out a touch far. This sent the beem upwards instead of horizontally. Also the screws that held the opto boards on the bracket were a touch lose. Bending the "U" bracket in a little and tightening down the boards seems to totally eliminate the phantom opto triggering. Such a little thing to make it appear so broke. LOL!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 10.00
Cabinet - Other
Pyramid Pinball & Arcade

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 12.95
8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-problem-is-driving-me-nuts-any-opinions?hl=stosel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.