(Topic ID: 333240)

Elvira HOH Ball save detect drain without a draining.

By welchwarlock

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

#1 1 year ago

I just unboxed my Elvira HOH yesterday, and it often thinks a ball has drained and gives me a free save ball, so I have 2 balls in play. Stern Tech thinks it is the Opto board on the ball trough. Anyone else experience this problem?

#2 1 year ago

Sure. I fixed an Avengers last week with a similar issue. First thing you need to do is raise the playfield and inspect the trough opto board connectors and node board connector for the trough board harness. None obviously loose? Reseat them all anyway and see if problem persists. The Avengers I fixed didn't get a zip tie on trough board harness and the customer knocked it loose on the node board side when removing the goodie bag.

If problem persists, test all trough optos in switch test, including stacked balls switch and outhole switch. Use fingers, then balls, to test each switch. If needed, flick each opto board hard with a fingernail, to see if vibration causes a switch closure.

#3 1 year ago

I replaced the Opto boards, and everything has been re-seated (Problem still exists). I cannot get vibration to set off the trough. I now think that the issue is in the rollover switch in the outlanes. Elvira will launch a save ball as soon as the outlane is hit, before the ball registers in the trough. I tested all of the switches by hand, and they are extremely sensitive. Even a kleenex can cause the switches to close, or just barely moving them right or left. There were soldering issues on 3 of 4 of the inlane/outlane rolloevers. One was put in backwards (Solder on unused post), One has solder spray all over the wire (Tiny silver beads), and the other is a poor connections. I need to figure out how to de-sensitize the rollovers. I think they are affected by the ambient temperature since they are a long thin wire and the CTE will cause them to lengthen and shorten, changing the force required to activate.

#4 1 year ago

So it was indeed the roll over switch, for the right out lane. The switch would go off if you even touched the wire underneath. I removed the switch, and it did not have a definitive click for engagement like most other switches. I made a temporary adjustment to the switch to make it less sensitive, and ordered a replacement from stern. No problems since the adjustment. Since I posted I also noticed that the shooter lane is chipping. There is an air pocket in the shooter lane. Stern is sending me a fill kit for the chip, a new switch, and a shaker motor for all the trouble. (I didn't even ask, or get upset). I will say their customer service is Great, but that ends when the warranty ends. At which point you are on your own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,855 (OBO)
$ 125.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 1,075.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Orange County Pinballs

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-hoh-ball-save-detect-drain-without-a-draining and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.