20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #23 copy of Elvira tweet about being at TPF2017 Posted by Mar (7 years ago)

Post #63 mnpinball comments on the speculation about Elvira 3 Posted by mnpinball (7 years ago)

Post #3843 What to check when you first receive Elvira Posted by jfh (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#780 4 years ago
Quoted from zr11990:

Because Stern only allows fan layouts.

The laws of physics demand a fan layout with two standard flippers, but Stern has some interesting 3+ flipper layouts. Maiden & JP2 come to mind.

Quoted from zr11990:

What pins has DN put out while working for Stern that have shown real creativity?

I thought POTC was pretty cool. His only other Sterns are WOF and Whoa Nellie, which are definitely not cookie-cutter.

1 month later
#844 4 years ago
Quoted from chad:

Political Correctness is destroying our Country.

I blame our downfall on unnecessary capitalization.

#845 4 years ago
Quoted from LazyLlama:

My very secret sources tell me that it will be very politically incorrect.

Politically incorrect callouts include:
America deserved 9-11
I'll respect the troops when they show up at my house to suck my dick
and
40% of police officers have been reported for beating their spouses

Finally someone is willing to stand up to those politically correct types

SMH @ those snowflakes downvoting your post. People are so sensitive these days.

#1474 4 years ago

Monday morning quarterback time!

I hope the premium cabinet art is a placeholder. It's like someone saw the Luci cabinet and said, "you know what this needs? Less lady and more xmas." Stern usually does a great job of having multiple, completely different cabinets where each looks good in its own right. This is more like they pulled a Wonka, where the budget cabinet is just an inferior version of the limited cabinet.

Playfield layout seems fine, if uninspired. I'm sure it will shoot well, but KME has raised the bar on playfield geometry, and my standards have gone up as a result. Can't see myself ever buying another game with a snooze-inducing layout. Munsters and BK3 come to mind. Disappointing when legendary designers phone it in. That said, hopefully E3's ball-interactive toys make up for the vanilla fan.

Those ramps don't look like Nordman's work. Seems like someone borrowed a pair of flat, straight, no-nonsense ramps from Star Trek. I wonder if they were simplified after Dennis left the company. Can't imagine those are his original design.

#1481 4 years ago
Quoted from lpeters82:

I always just look back at Attack From Mars. Almost everything that's being said about the playfield in Elvira: House of Horrors applies to Attack From Mars, and I really enjoy how it shoots.

Good point. Excellent smooth shots, fun simple rules, and great theme/humor/voice work put that game over the top. Hopefully E3 follows suit!

#1492 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Every time I see E3, I think the conversation has shifted to the E3 expo.

Yeah, I'm more a fan of the game's literal acronym EHOH, but it's mob rule on that kinda thing.

#1517 4 years ago

Jesus fucking christ, dude.

#1527 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Why does everybody keep trying to apply some kind of scientific logic to this?

Because pinside! Here's my scientific logic:

Quoted from Jackalwere:

It should just be HOH. Scared Stiff is SS, not ESS, nor is it E2.

What's different about these two titles?
SS.pngSS.pngEHOH.pngEHOH.png

#1528 4 years ago

...I mean, aside from the fact that one is an awesome, custom hand-drawn logo and the other is a generic spooktacular font rendered by a computer.

#1735 4 years ago
Quoted from Redfield0009:

7. Clips from over 40 movies night of the living dead is one of them.

Rejoice, clip droolers.

#1962 4 years ago

itsonlyagame.pngitsonlyagame.png

#1968 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinstein:

I'm sure I'm missing something but when does the ground change to liquid as the house and crypt are on solid ground but somewhere it transitions to a red river of blood with a rubber ducky and swan?

Some of you guys take this whole "world under glass" thing a bit too literally.

Quoted from Pinstein:

I get to complain a little for my 8k right?

Sure! I complain for free.

#2088 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I want to purchase this game but I think I’ll wait for some actual player feedback before pulling the trigger.

Crazy talk.

#2154 4 years ago
Quoted from iceman44:

Apparently LE's and SE's begin shipping next week.

If that's true, maybe they needed something to keep the line moving while new JP2 playfields are made. Pure imagina... I mean, speculation.

edit: manadams beat me to it

#2162 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Heard from a distributor that the SLE are sold out.

Quoted from DS_Nadine:

WHY?!

The game may be absolutely great but there really went very little effort in the SLE Design, compared to the LE.

People seem to think a ridiculously high price tag is a deterrent. To people with substantial wealth, it's a feature! They're looking for something to blow money on. Any toy that costs $15k must be awesome. And don't forget, it's (artificially) limited, ooh!

I'm looking to get the most bang for my buck; rich people often enjoy the simple act of spending money. Value is secondary, if not the outright enemy. Some of them will feel more pleasure buying a massively overpriced $15k collectible than the same item for less money. And god forbid someone thinks they're cheap (a cardinal sin among the wealthy).

They worked hard for that money, they want to spend it! What fun is letting it rot in a bank, or passing it all down to your spoiled punk kids?

#2252 4 years ago
Quoted from ToucanF16:

When will this be added to the machines list so I can add it to my collection?

Maybe once it ships, since it can't possibly be in your literal collection now?

#2253 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I've got the money to buy this and I'm interested in the pin, but I'm NOT just because of the $400 price hike for no justified reason.

Do you guys want a cheap game, or do you want 26 classic horror movie licenses?

#2273 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Calling a $7300 premium pinball "cheap" seems absurd.

It's not cheap, is my point. But what would people like to remove to make it cheap? You can't have "all the stuff" and cheap.

#2286 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

The point is it does not cost that much to make this game.

The reality is you have no idea how much it costs to make this game.

#2287 4 years ago
Quoted from docquest:

I dont think they need to license any of the movies listed. I believe the reason those were chosen is because they all public domain films. Thus no royalties needed for movie clips or imagery.

Movie copyright in the US lasts for 95 years, which easily covers all 26 films in EHOH. It's possible some of them have lapsed due to non-renewal, but I definitely wouldn't assume they're all free.

#2288 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Do you think pinball parts have suddenly doubled in cost over the last 5 years?

No, but the cost of development might've. You know those video screens everyone demanded? It takes a team to do graphics now.

#2296 4 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

@yancy - if you think this game has "all the stuff" maybe I'm watching a video for a different game.

It has all the stuff it has, was my point. If you want all that stuff, pay for it. If you want it cheaper, which stuff would you like to remove? Personally I would like to go back to DMD and subtract the cost of custom hi-res animation from every game. But it is what it is.

Wasn't trying to imply the game has EVERYthing, because there's no such thing. It's never enough for the peanut gallery.

#2298 4 years ago
Quoted from Skyemont:

Neither do you!!!

Correct! Turns out if you lead a horse to water, you CAN make him think.

#2308 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

Do you watch your black and white TV cause those newfangled color ones and shows are just not the same.

I don't watch TV while I'm playing pinball. Or look up at the display very often. But when I do, I appreciate the creativity inspired by the constraints of dot animation. Same reason I enjoy classic cartoons more than DreamWorks CGI. I'll take TWD's display over GOTG every day and twice on Sunday.

Also, DMD score fonts were huge! Trying reading your score on a Spike2 or JJP game from more than a couple feet away.

Mostly I'd just rather have the money in my pocket than tied up in graphics. Your mileage may vary.

#2629 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Can’t believe there is a half a page talking about her legs in the artwork. Lmao.

Wait 'til tonight for the reveal stream. Then we'll have a hundred new things to gripe about.

#2635 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Did anyone notice that they updated the features video with music from each mode?

Nice! Just need to use pinball browser to add the Brian Setzer Orchestra version of JJ&W.

#2641 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Does Pinball Browser work on Spike2 games?

Yes for sound, no for video.

#2799 4 years ago

Looks like it shoots smooth and easy, maybe a bit too easy for great players. No dangerous, tight or close shots that I can see. Accurate shooters will be on this thing all day, like BM66. I hope tourney directors are all stocked up on lightning flippers. And don't forget to pull those outlane posts.

#3231 4 years ago

It's also possible the drop targets were bricking from kickout shots, a la AC/DC. Nothing more frustrating than having a huge song jackpot lit with 3x running, nailing the target, and watching it bounce off.

1 week later
#3486 4 years ago

No attract mode, lol. That's a new low for underbaked code. Does it at least have end of ball bonus yet? That was missing on the reveal stream.

#3489 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

That's a new low for underbaked code.

Should clarify, I'm not faulting the design team. They don't choose when a game hits the line.

#3519 4 years ago

Hopefully we'll look back at this and laugh in a couple years when it's all done over wifi.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.95
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
11,855 (OBO)
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider yancy.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread?tu=yancy and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.