20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #23 copy of Elvira tweet about being at TPF2017 Posted by Mar (7 years ago)

Post #63 mnpinball comments on the speculation about Elvira 3 Posted by mnpinball (7 years ago)

Post #3843 What to check when you first receive Elvira Posted by jfh (4 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#22 7 years ago

I am a fan and would love to see Elvira 3. I have both previous games and would love to see a third. However, I would want to see a modern game that pays homage to the other two to make a trilogy. I would NOT buy a Nellie retheme (though I would like to get an actual Nellie someday).

However - unlike BM66 where I took a leap of faith and bought an LE - I'm almost certainly not a day 1 buyer without evidence to show that Stern's playfield issues are behind them and we have some sort of roadmap on what to expect when for code.

And part of me wishes that it's JJP and not Stern doing the game, though I guess it really wouldn't be a fitting sequel if Dennis and Greg weren't involved.

1 month later
#266 7 years ago

No one has answered the original question- what do you want to see in Elvira 3?

At minimum, it has to have a left orbit lock shot and a really wild ramp. I'd like to see it have a specific nod to a mode in each of the first two games and glow in the dark plastics.

I'm sure Greg will knock the art out of the park, so I'm not worried about the art package being a photoshopped aberration. I would absolutely love new organ music and the related jokes. That sequence in EATPM is one of my favorite sound sequences ever.

I have mixed feelings about what the display should be. I don't know if it would be best to use the new Stern LCD and use old video or if they should go retro.

Mostly I want the game to be what Cassandra, Greg and Dennis want it to be without any Stern "we know better" changes.

1 month later
#332 7 years ago

Going to have to make room for Elvira 3 ...

8 months later
#368 6 years ago
Quoted from Allibaster:

Any hints on a potential reveal? TPF?

That is the expectation.

#370 6 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

I spoke to Dennis at Expo. He wanted it for TPF 2018. Not gonna happen! He thinks more like 4th qtr 2018. Lyman is scheduled to do the code. and you know where that will lead. Game is done and just waiting on code. 3 new interactive toys he said.

If true, that's good news. I would rather see the game held back until code is complete (or close) than have another Batman debacle. I'm guessing there is some decent overlap between Batman owners and potential Elvira owners so delaying the release seems like a good move on Stern's part.

#372 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

A lot can change from October to March.

Not unless Stern clones Lyman. He's still working on Batman code.

#374 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Batman's wrapping up as far as Lyman's "on the clock" hours.

Unless Stern wants to compound the problem, they will let him finish Batman first. I'm not buying Elvira unless Batman is done AND Elvira is substantially complete.

#376 6 years ago
Quoted from Micky:

I don't think Stern care that much. They will decide when it is "complete" code wise and move him on to the next project.

I'm pretty sure that Stern doesn't care. But Stern made and unprecedented statement about letting Lyman work on Batman until it was complete. Walking that back doesn't help them. And people are beginning to get tired of buying a box of lights at release. At some point it will impact sales to the point where Stern will pay attention. All I can do as an individual buyer is not to support Stern by not buying incomplete games even if it means not buying a title I'm very excited about.

This issue isn't unique to Elvira, but I hope Elvira will become he turning point where Stern finally decides that feature complete code at release matters.

#378 6 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

Seeing as Lyman always works on the code until he feel it is complete (just on his own time), that statement by Stern is meaningless.

But buyers can't continue to count on Lyman finishing the code on his own time. It's great that he has done so in the past, but we have got to buy games for what they are, not on what they might become.

3 months later
#409 6 years ago

Anyone know whether the game is truly dead?

#411 6 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

I thought they announced this last year at TPF, why would they cancel it now.

Well, they really weren't supposed to say what they said at TPF last year ...

#417 6 years ago

Great news from TPF!

#433 6 years ago
Quoted from NoQuarters:

Elvira and the Munsters. I want to see these two games made. I'd probably purchase both if made in Pro configuration.

I don't have room for both. Will be a tough choice, but Elvira would have the edge unless I get rid of EATPM or SS.

10 months later
#636 5 years ago

We have deferred a decision on Munsters until we see Elvira. Prepared for an Elvira LE purchase if the features and art look good.

My wife isn’t necessarily keen on having it next to the other two, but I hope it will be worth the wait. If not, I’ll probably have an awesome EATPM and/or a SS available.

I just wish there was credible intel on if E3 will finally be released in 2019. Is there confirmation that this is indeed Lyman’s next game or is that just wishful thinking?

#638 5 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

Why wouldn't she want it next to the other two? You gotta have all three. I have the SS right now and plan on getting another EATPM when E3 comes in.

She thinks the two Elvira’s is one too many. For me, part of the appeal is to have all three.

#641 5 years ago
Quoted from tiltmonster:

I suppose if you own as many pins as you (or some others here on Pinside) you could easily have all 3 but for someone with a small collection like me (max is 3 pins) then I would pick the best one and have 2 other machines... for me the best one is EATPM because I already own it and the other 2 are/will be out of my price range. Good luck!

Absolutely. Probably wouldn’t work in a smaller collection unless you were a super Elvira fan.

EATPM is a great System 11 game, SS is so-so (very easy) for a WPC game. If we don’t get E3, I presume SS would be the most likely of the remaining two to go though I love the ramps.

4 months later
#693 4 years ago

I have much higher expectations for game than most. Dennis/Greg/Cassandra with Lyman on code should be a home run.

But if Stern screws this one up, I’ve probably bought my last NIB from them.

#695 4 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

They will be using Dennis's design. That's part of the appeal, along with Lyman's code. That's why I believe this will be a release similar to Batman '66. Premium, LE, SLE.

No chance I’m paying Batman SLE money for ANY game no matter how much I want it. I also don’t think the title can support an SLE.

If there’s no Pro, that’s fine.

1 month later
#747 4 years ago

Hopefully only 3 months to go!

1 month later
#848 4 years ago

Anything could happen ...

... except we aren’t gong to announce the title that best fits with a full moon on Friday the 13th and everyone knows is coming.

#854 4 years ago
Quoted from ufotofu:

House of Horrors is actually a great title

Not as good as Ted’s proposed title.

#858 4 years ago

I want this, but not buying unless Stern or my distrib gives me a good guarantee they will take care of my House of Horrors playfield if that turns out to be a house of horrors. Don’t want a playfield that reminds me of melting wax, no matter how well it might fit with the theme.

#1135 4 years ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

Even though people are thinking there will be no pro model this layout looks exactly like what a Stern Pro usually looks like. There has to be more on the other models or this just looks like a typical Stern ho hum layout.

That’s clearly the LE playfield. We’ll have to wait a couple days for the details and better pics. I don’t like the cabinet art on the Premium (my wife said it reminds her of Cirqus Voltaire).

On the playfield my first reaction is the ramps are disappointing. Nothing iconic like the water slide or honey beast ramp. And the mansion better do some cool stuff if we are indeed looking at BM66 price points. The Batman turntable is a formidable multistage mechanism. Unclear if the mansion is more than a fancy sculpt. And it does look a little too wide open.

I’m expecting the code will be deep (because Lyman). But my biggest concern is whether these games will ship with the playfield clear problem fixed. I hear that Stern considers minor playfield pooling is acceptable and that is unacceptable to me. I still expect LE slots will sell quickly so I’m going to have make a tough call next week - is there enough here and is the playfield crapshoot worth the risk? I’d love to have the entire trilogy but a defective playfield would bother and upset me tremendously.

#1206 4 years ago

Pricing hasn’t been announced. Expect more details next week.

People are getting bent out of shape because of the rumor E3 has a Batman-like pricing model. It appears that E3 has less on the PF than Batman and there is no integrated topper so I don’t think we are going to see LEs at $10k.

#1207 4 years ago
Quoted from bemmett:

( . )( . ) Keeping an eye(or two) on this thread.

You need an anatomy lesson.

#1429 4 years ago

Distributors had a presentation at 1am Chicago time this morning. Art, gameplay video and rule set shown, but no pricing details.

Sounds like we might hear more this week.

#1438 4 years ago
Quoted from Guidotorpedo:

Thread is tl/dr.... is there actual verification from stern that the sales will model BM66 format (premium, LE, sle)? If

No verification. No models or pricing have been announced.

#1488 4 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Preliminary numbers I’m hearing.
50 Super LE signed
400 LE
Unlimited premium
Premium and LE only a few $100 over previous titles.
2 licensed classic songs
Elvira and the gentleman that did the male voice in Scared Stiff is back for custom.

400 LE seems to be consistent with what I have heard. But it seems 696 would have been a better number. I’m interested to see the differentiation between the three models.

#1503 4 years ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

I'm using EHOH. The more it's used, the faster it will be accepted.

Robert, I usually defer to you in all things Elvira - but E3 is much simpler and has already been used for the last two years while we waited for official confirmation of the title.

#1506 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

400 was visible on the plaques in the leaked photos.

That didn’t matter for Munsters.

#1508 4 years ago
Quoted from cait001:

that will at least be a slight relief over the full-on B66 pricing. Too bad about the lack of Pros. I really hope the Haunted House mech has enough going for it to easily justify the lack of Pro pricing.

The lack of Pro pricing on Batman was more related to the BOM cost than anything else. Many attributed to the KaPow licensing, and I’m sure that played a factor, but the turntable is such a massive and involved toy there really isn’t anything you could have removed from the Premium to make it a Pro.

I hope we will see that the E3 mansion has a lot more to it than just the sculpt and that the lowest model is a Premium because there just wasn’t enough you could take out to have a Pro price point without neutering the game.

#1545 4 years ago

EHOH is winning by a 2 to 1 margin against E3 in the poll someone else started.

I started it and am surprised by the current vote. But if EHOH wins, that’s what I’ll use. Unless I get tired of typing EHOH (not the easiest acronym to type on an iPad) in which case i’ll use Elvira 3 or E3 and assume people will figure it out

#1556 4 years ago

I suspect MSRP is 7899/9599/15k for Premium/LE/Signature Edition (not Super LE)

Similar to Batman (three levels/no Pro/same playfield features) but no topper. Despite the price, I think the 50 SEs will sell out pretty quickly to Elvira fans, though I personally can’t justify that $5k leap.

I’ve been told the leaked pictures don’t do the game justice, so I’m looking forward to see what comes next.

#1568 4 years ago

Just got confirmation from Rob Berk that Cassandra will have autograph sessions both Friday and Saturday at Expo.

I was on the fence about Expo this year, but that may be the push I need.

#1569 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Yes, first reports from distributor streams is this game is really good.
400 LE's will sell out.
You won't be able to sit and wait if you want the LE.
Plenty of premiums though!

I still don’t think 400 is very limited, but it’s a step in the right direction. But it still remains to be seen if there is enough to justify $1700 more for an LE. At least the Batman LEs had the cool topper.

Domestic LEs apparently shipping first this time. Bet some have games by Halloween, maybe even Expo. I suspect this means a very high likelihood we will see E3 games on the line during the factory tour. Sure hope the playfield clear problems have been fixed...

#1582 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Because, from what Nord said it is only one playfield. Will have the same toys... So I'm curious what this will have... It would be cool if this came with a topper... We'll see... Doubt it though.

None of the editions will come with a topper. Don’t know if Stern will offer one as an accessory.

Signature Edition is autographed and has hand drawn cabinet art, couch memorabilia and some other stuff.

#1583 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Personalized call outs by Cassandra.

Haven’t hear that. Would be awesome if true, but not holding my breath.

The $1700 delta between Premium and LE is in line with other recent titles so I doubt we see more than different art packages, art blades, shaker, powder coated rails, shaker and maybe Stern low glare glass.

#1585 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I personally don't care about the scarcity of any pin...

But, I will also say... If you want an LE... Contact your distributor NOW!!!!!!!

For production pins I agree with you. For LEs only Batman 66 could truly be considered limited at 240. And it was the art package and topper that made the difference. Stern’s best LE to date was Star Trek and that certainly wasn’t limited at 799.

I think Stern has probably set the Elvira number at 400 because that’s low enough to move the fence sitters at launch without leaving too much money on the table.

But the current concept of LE is really meaningless because if you really want one you will be able to get one so “limited@ is more marketing gimmick than value.

#1586 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

Is the antiglare glass actually that much better? or is it just for people streaming.

I don’t have any of the Stern anti glare glass but the other two brands make a significant difference in my game room.

#1592 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

I don't see that we're in a world where 400 Elvira fans all rise (heh) simultaneously to fork over $10k for a pinball machine.

Unless the reveal is an absolute dud I’ll bet 400 LEs are presold by Halloween, if not by the end of next week.

Don’t know how the Premiums will sell, but 400 LEs will sell quickly and easily. I’m pretty confident Stern has a good handle on demand.

And if the game shoots well and Lyman makes the code as immersive as Batman those “no Pro; not buying” folks will drop that mantra and take a serious look at a Premium.

#1599 4 years ago
Quoted from RC_like_the_cola:

They will be "sold" because Stern forces them onto the distributors. Doesn't mean they are earmarked for a customer though. Looking forward to playing it for sure.

True. But this is the case with every game. Don’t you think Stern has a really good idea of how many LEs distribs can sell through at announce? Look at Munsters. Very anticipated theme. Presold the initial LE allotment so fast they increased LEs to 600. Games were sold to customers before anyone realized the code was going to be so basic.

This theme + Lyman will sell 400 to end users no problem. I agree with whoever said if you want an LE call your distributor soon. 200 in the US is a slam dunk.

#1610 4 years ago
Quoted from nexfx:

Does anyone have and idea of what the LE might cost?

MSRP of $9599 is a good bet, but nothing has been announced.

#1690 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I just spoke by phone with two distributors. They both said official pricing not announced yet.
One was taking deposits while the other was only taking names to be put on a list for callback.
One of them said they are getting 25 LEs and 19 of them have already been reserved.
Anyone here on Pinside already reserve an LE or put a deposit down on an LE?
I'm struggling with justifying the high cost of an LE just to get Elvira pictured on the side of the cab.
I don't care about powder coated trim or speaker lights or (pinkish-red) side art.
LE may also include mirrored translite and shaker motor (not sure about non-glare glass).

I’ve been on the interested parties at my distributor ever since the TPF “announcement”, but I don’t think anything is reserved until you have a deposit down so there may be 19 interested people but not 19 sold.

The $1700 difference for an LE question is tough for me. I’m confused that the leaked photos show the same translite but different cabinet art. I was expecting different translites for each level.

I really don’t care for the all words version of the sides, but could probably live with it since the game would be in the middle of a row with the sides not all that visible. So then it becomes “how much value is their in the extras?” and if I were going to do them all it’s probably $700-$900 so the extra cost for the LE is $800-$1k (not counting tax). But it seems like Stern has relaxed restrictions on selling LE parts to non-LE owners so maybe a Premium and LE side art makes sense.

My biggest concern is not so much the cost delta, but the fact that a commitment for an LE pretty much has to be made before there is any chance to play the game (concern lessened only because Lyman is on code) and without knowing if the playfield bubbling/pooling issue has actually been fixed which turns a $1700 gamble into a $10k one.

#1691 4 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

I'd always rather have plastic ramps over metal.

I’m fine if it’s like the flowy ramps on EATPM and SS where they almost have to be plastic, but I’m not thrilled with plastic on E3 especially after the metal ones on Munsters turned out awesome.

#1765 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Isn’t that the LE?

Maybe the SE has the LE side art but on the fancy foil like BM66SLE?

#1772 4 years ago

A little disappointed that Stern didn’t do the formal announce today (Cassandra’s birthday).

And I really hate waiting ...

#1776 4 years ago

We better see kickass video and high res pics tomorrow ...

#1780 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Nah, the "cult" still buys every new game & dismisses rational critique of extremely expensive product as "negativity". The "cult" thinks nothing of these prices even when quality is questionable, units aren't field tested & code is unfinished. The "cult" thinks "influencers" like Jack Danger & Zach Meny are objective fans and not businessmen trying to sell product. I love pinball, but sorry, the current state of the hobby is the NIB Cult, and I'm not part of that.

I think the NIB cult is just a very vocal minority, as is the “if it wasn't made in the last five years, it’s not worthy” group. I can’t believe any rational pinball fan would consider Zach or Jack objective; their agenda is to sell new games. I think most of the so-called “influencers” actually know very little about pinball and do the hobby a disservice when it comes to helping those new to the hobby find their way. If you understand they are just salesmen trying to move the widget of the month, you can get some useful information and entertainment. Both of the gentleman you mention put on great productions but entertaining certainly <> objective.

My collection is at the point where to bring a new game in, one has to leave so I’m never going to be in the “buy every new game” club (and there’s probably only three themes that I’d even consider buying new at these prices). Rational critique is both helpful and welcome, but for some whom theme is key, emotion will usually win out over logic if a dream theme is involved. I know, because that’s where I am with Elvira today.

#1786 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

From Kaneda regarding the SLE (signature LE)
1. Signed Elvira card
2. Piece of the Elvira couch with certificate of authenticity
3. Metallic foil decals
4. Sparkle armour
No topper for the SLE
Artwork might me the same as on the LE
Playfield artwork will be the same as all models
No unique code confirmed (personalized elements)
The ultimate cash grab? Rumored to have been originally sold only through the official Elvira online store but now to be sold through distributors.

This could be good and cripple future SLEs. That’s a lot of almost nothing for $5k+. Might be fine for the few Elvira fans that $5k doesn’t matter to, but that’s it. All this does is help Jack justify the cost of JJP Collector Editions which have far more for less.

Get Cassandra to sign an apron card at Expo for $50 (or whatever) and put it on a Premium or LE. Done.

#1793 4 years ago
Quoted from arcademojo:

I doubt it. They all will sell so how could that cripple the market for future SLE's?

Because I don’t think they will sell 50 at $15k with that feature set.

#1800 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

This discussion sounds exactly like the B66 SLE debacle. And for that you had to send in a video begging for a SLE PLUS they increased the number to 80 after the videos were sent and deposits received.
They easily sold all 80.

Batman 66 a holy grail type theme for many. The initial hype and interest in Batman 66 was off the charts compared to a third Elvira title.

#1858 4 years ago
Quoted from RA77:

I am on list and concerned
If my LE pf has pooling i would want nothing less than a brand new playfield.
I will be requesting something in writing from my distro to cover this

You really think a distributor is going to give you such a warranty? If so, please post a copy of the response.

BTW - I agree with you 100% on the concern. It absolutely sucks that the LEs are going to be first off the line.

#1863 4 years ago
Quoted from DennisNordman:

Will you guys please stop trying to critique the art based on a small, blurry, low res picture? That's just foolish. Do you really think Greg would do a bad job on an Elvira backglass (or any backglass for that matter?) This is his best Elvira yet. She looks beautiful with subtle shading that can't be seen in the low res photo, and the art is loaded with detail.
And BTW, I prefer 3LVIRA. I don't know who came up with that, but it's a very clever logo. The 3 represents an E and a three for the third game. Rotate it and it looks like boobs. Perfect!

Hi Dennis - glad to see you are following the thread. Hope you can give us some more background/details on the game after the official announcement. Would love to hear about the design considerations and how the game differs from the original design (if at all). I’m personally curious about why no wacky/fun ramps like the water slide and boney beast ramps in the previous games.

#1868 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

At this point, I think the most important question to confirm is 'WHO is on code and how far along is it?'
*well beyond the obvious question of 'has the pf issue been fixed?'

I’m sorry - the absolute most important question is “Has Stern fixed the playfields?” Bad playfields in the domestic LEs (apparently first off the line) will absolutely tank game sales no matter how great the game is. And that would be practically criminal on Stern’s part.

Lyman is on code and he is the perfect fit along with Dennis, Greg and Cassandra. Talk about a dream team. I’m sure the code is much further along than Batman was at release but I don’t care because Lyman’s track record speaks for itself and I’m sure the game won’t be done until he’s happy with it.

#1891 4 years ago

Key features from the IGN piece:

The titular House of Horrors, an interactive toy with a spinning turret on top, and three entrances to shoot for, including one under a lifting staircase ramp.

Two ramps on either side of the playfield. The left ramp has a Scared Stiff-style crate that opens up to divert balls into a multiball lock.

A Dead Head Crypt bash toy that also opens up to gobble a ball. This crypt delivers balls to other parts of the playfield via subway, including one vertical upkicker on the lower right that shoots the ball across the playfield to the crate targets.

Lots of little, leaping gargoyles behind targets.

3 super-hidden pop bumpers behind the Crypt.

Custom video featuring Elvira

Clips from 40 movies

#1895 4 years ago

Trailer is nice but hard to watch. Would like to see more wide/long shots rather than rapid fire clips.

#1897 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

So do we love it now or do we still hate it? It's hard to keep up.

Too soon to tell.

#1904 4 years ago

Looks like stand ups on the sides, not drop targets.

#1913 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I know everyone wants this to be great, but from the video, it honestly looks same old. Nothing awe inspiring or fresh that I see.

So, you’re in for an LE?

#1921 4 years ago
Quoted from NightTrain:

I honestly have no clue who the hell Elvira is aside from pinball machines...but after seeing this video and pics, I'm interested in buying.
I love horror themes and I'm a sucker for black and red.
Anyone have a distributor they recommend for the best price? I think I bought from JJ at Game Exchange last time. All went well with them.

JJ is great. Don’t think you will see much variation in pricing on this title. Stick with Game Exchange.

#1925 4 years ago

So where is the Stern press release?

#1926 4 years ago

By the way, for those that say Stern doesn’t do subways this game has one.

#1931 4 years ago

From Stern:

76D0134F-EFC4-4839-8A1D-2B24F532561A (resized).jpeg76D0134F-EFC4-4839-8A1D-2B24F532561A (resized).jpeg
#1984 4 years ago
Quoted from Lermods:

Will these be at expo and when will they start to ship. Premium first?

Domestic LEs ship first

#2002 4 years ago

My biggest complaint is no drop targets by the trunk.

But hey - at least there isn’t a mono target!

#2240 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

Someone posted in the other Elvira 3 thread that there’s no topper with this release, anyone else heard this?

That’s what I was told though it’s unclear if that meant no topper with the LE/SE (like Batman) or no topper period.

#2260 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You know those polls are not contractually binding and likely don't necessarily reflect reality right?
I voted in it and I've never bought an NIB game in my life.

As long as you voted honestly at this point in time, that’s fine.

If people want to vote simply to skew results rather than give an honest opinion, not much that can be done about it.

#2331 4 years ago
Quoted from PiperPinball:

Apparently from what my distro said, is that all the pooling/chipping issues have been resolved. They even stopped production on the LE's and SLE's to make sure the new pf were good.

I haven’t heard anyone say the pooling/chipping issues have been resolved; only that Stern said they were. But the distribs I spoke to were unwilling to be specific about what would be done if there was an issue indicating that Stern would have the final say. Coupled with the statement that “Stern considers some pooling to be normal” did little to ease my concern about the clear issue.

#2392 4 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

Any word on a gameplay stream on twitch coming soon?

Wednesday, 9/25, 7pm Central
DDB1A71F-855F-4B7F-97D6-4F9CC5E924C6 (resized).jpegDDB1A71F-855F-4B7F-97D6-4F9CC5E924C6 (resized).jpeg

#2455 4 years ago

Yes, but it would still be better with drop targets.

#2564 4 years ago
Quoted from zucot:

I thought these were shipping immediately. Is that just a rumor?

Some LEs should be out before Expo. Premiums in November.

#2624 4 years ago

Where are the flyers for the game?

#2705 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

I could get this or a hobbit that’s got over 2800 plays on it. What would you choose?

Do you see what thread you’re in?

#2825 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a good question. I'm not against releasing games "early" per se - it's been a pretty successful model for them.

There have been a few comments suggesting that Cassandra’s contract required the game be released by Halloween 2019.

#2853 4 years ago

To those saying the code should be further along because Lyman has been on the game for three years, that would only go fair if the final version of the game were available to him for that long which clearly isn’t the case. I’m sure he can only program so much on a computer or Spike simulator or whatever the development platform is before needing to see it on a real game.

I got the impression from the stream that we were seeing a relatively small subset of the code because it was either incomplete or they disnr want to show some modes. We do have a good idea of the overall theme and structure (haunted house, return monsters to film to sell the house unlike Batman at a similar point in time where the overall game play design hadn’t really been decided.

My initial impressions mirror many comments here:
1) floating deadheads need to be improved and made more translucent

2) pop bumper swimming rings are fine but seem a bit jarring because the colors are so bright compared to the underlying footage. Maybe make smaller or confine to the sides/corners or the screen.

3) need Elvira call outs other than the custom video stuff. Didn’t hear the double entendres I expected. Apparently we will get more from the narrator,so that’s good

4) would like to see Lyman use the channel changing function from Batman somehow to see multiple movies at once or something that fits into the “channel changing” construct. People absolutely love that when they see it in Batman and since Elvira also uses a TV for video that fits.

5) Game shoots well but we will have to see how well the code leverages those shots

6) I think the stream gives us an idea of where Lyman is going. I like it and think the game will end up feeling like the third game in a trilogy (that’s good), but suspect we will still hear a lot of negativity at release about how unfinished the code is. The big difference is we are dealing with Lyman who (a) is an awesome player (b) is a perfectionist and (c) is working on a theme he really wanted to do (like Batman) so I’m fairly confident E3 will become a deep and varied game that makes use of the AV assets better than any game other than Batman.

I like what I see and want the game. That said, I’m not buying one anytime soon.

I almost violated the promise I made to myself two years ago when I started a thread called “A Dark Night for Stern” about how Stern’s presentation at Expo 2017. I said “I'm no longer going to buy a game for what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.”

That was primarily about code. I let my guard down a little when I ordered an Elvira LE after I saw the game announcement, confident that Lyman would do the game justice. I cancelled the order primarily because I have near zero confidence Stern has fixed the clear coat issues or would take care of me if my new game was impacted. I’ve decided that I need to stick to my promise to myself and only buy the game when I’m happy with what I know when I buy it. It’s very hard to do because this is a dream theme for me and it sucks that I will probably not end up with an LE, but a used LE or NIB Premium in the next year when I know the entirety of the machine seems to be the smartest move. Thanks to the early adopters that makes that approach possible for me.

#2854 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Obvious distributor is obvious.

I agree with pretty much everything Zach said, distributor or not.

#2864 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Sooooo..... you don’t think there’s been a fully populated prototype palyfield available to code with until just now?

I’m sure one has existed for a while, but not years or substantially longer than the average development cycle.

#3191 4 years ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

If this is accurate, why did we see an LE as the first to come off the line?

Because it’s not accurate.

Domestic LEs first, then overseas LEs. Includes SEs.
Then Premiums (probably see domestic Premiums in the wild before overseas LEs just because of shipping and distribution logistics)

Don’t know why the order changed this time, only that it did. I’m guessing it has something to do with the oft-repeated rumor that Cassandra required the game to be publicly released by Halloween.

#3198 4 years ago

LE/SE have backglasses, not translites.
I

Backglasses in name only. Isn’t it like STLE where it was glass fused to plastic?

#3221 4 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Apparently there are only 50 if the signature edition. What is do different that they are 15k? I guess I am not understanding.

No differences in game play between any of the models. Differences are cosmetic only.

#3233 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Its the reason I'm not buying. I wanted to buy it. I have money sitting there screaming at me to purchase. But its bullchit that they continue to charge more for less, and the only way I can voice my displeasure with it is to NOT buy. Sucks, but its the right thing to do.

Please tell both your distributor and Stern.

1 week later
#3541 4 years ago
Quoted from moonduckie78:

This is my first Spike2 Stern.
Is there any difference between updating via SD card vs USB?
I mean, I understand the difference. But is there any difference in the final outcome? Is it just that doing the SD card gives you a clean, fresh install?
Will updating via USB still take care of updating the node board firmware, if applicable?

No difference in the final outcome as far as game code/game play is concerned.
Updating by USB will update node board firmware as required.

#3546 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballpal:

What if you update with a new sd card image only would that still update the node boards if needed?

Yes. But I wouldn’t mess with an SD card update unless there’s a good reason to do so. USB update is a lot less hassle

#3547 4 years ago

What do owners think of the sound? In the streams I’ve seen it sounds very repetitive/ monotonous. Is that just my imagination?

#3560 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Lyman may not be coding Elvira 3 to be crazy deep either, perhaps the intention is a more simple ruleset?

Yeah, the simple rule set worked so well for Stern with Munsters ...

#3567 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Elvira has a ton of stuff in it ruleset wise...
- Junk In The Trunk Awards
- Junk in the Trunk Multiball (2-Ball)
- Phone a Fiend Mini-Wizard Multiball
- Wild Women Multiball
- Add-a-Zombie Multiball
- Attic Attack Multiball
- Gappa Battle (mini-wizard mode) -&gt; if you beat Gappa, you get to play Gappa Multiball
- 6 Haunts modes, plus additional bonus Haunt modes
--- each haunt mode has it's own special rules - in Lyman fashion
- House Party Multiball after playing 3 haunts
- Attic Party Multiball after playing all 6 haunts
- Hand of Fate wheel -&gt; when completed there is a bonus Mode (Mini-Wizard?)
- 12 Dead Heads (Crypt Cleaner) -&gt; Super Head Shot -&gt; Mini-Wizard for beating all 12 Dead Heads???
- Directors Cut Wizard Mode - available after beating 4 Haunt modes
- Gar-Goils Gone Wild mode
- Drive Me Crazy (loops mode)
- Un-Happy Hour (ramps mode)
- Trailer Trash mode
That's at least 8 multiballs, and at least 4 Wizard modes.
It's ridiculous that people keep speculating that the ruleset is simple/light IMO.

Just to be clear - I’m not the one that said that maybe the goal was to have a simple rule set. I can’t imagine a modern Lyman game with a simple rule set. I’m expecting Elvira to be epic when done.

#3602 4 years ago

The flyers do exist

977C5340-28BD-460B-983E-3F0FC86F2195 (resized).jpeg977C5340-28BD-460B-983E-3F0FC86F2195 (resized).jpegD038B13E-056C-4F88-B550-0938E262224F (resized).jpegD038B13E-056C-4F88-B550-0938E262224F (resized).jpeg
#3642 4 years ago
Quoted from fuseholder:

My only criticism, I did not like was the floating dead heads. I love the intro announcement to them and how they are. I just feel they should be to the side in the picture frame, taunting you with their animation and call outs.

According to Greg Ferres the deadheads are going to be reworked to address some of the concerns about them. I would like to see references to some of the deadheads in SS but apparently that’s not in the cards.

#3653 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I prefer "Junk in the Trunk" by far, plus they have a whole comedic schtick about the "Junk" voiced by Tim K.
Maybe an ambitious modder will make an alternate left ramp with the dips, like the original design. It seems pretty feasible, and it would only need to be the first half of the ramp, as the trunk makes a clean break.

Dennis said the original DD ramp was scrapped because it would have had to be very steep to get the momentum necessary to make it over the humps.

#3686 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Has an "official topper" been revealed for E3?

Nothing has been announced. Rumor is there is no official one from Stern, but I haven’t been able to confirm that.

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Where’s all the Mods ? They had a lot for Munsters LE before I got my game
( which was sold )

This has been covered before. Most mod makers don’t get LEs so they don’t have games yet.

#3726 4 years ago
Quoted from Mad_Dog_Coin_Op:

I have never had my ball stuck behind the drop after the gate issue was corrected.

I guess I’m unclear as to what gate issue you reference. Can you detail what the problem/fix is if it’s different than adjusting the spring tension?

#3743 4 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

[quoted image]

Whysnow My old eyes can’t read the text at the bottom of the pic. Can you post the text? Thanks.

#3746 4 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Ok....so we met and got to chat.... (what a cute couple)! [quoted image]

Are you getting a game spfxted ?

#3759 4 years ago

Memel Mods may skip HOH. Any other moders looking at options for the game?

#3774 4 years ago
Quoted from PBMAN:

Love this game. Only issue I am having luckily is Gargoyles on the right ramp keep hitting the glass pretty [hard].

As designed. If I understood him correctly, a Stern tech at Expo told me they could be adjusted. Some are worried that may damage the glare prevention coating on the LE glass but that coating is on the top side of the glass, not the bottom.

#3806 4 years ago
Quoted from robertmee:

I'm going with a playfield protector on my Prem from day 1.

Ditto. I think my game will be here a little before the protector, but I’ll wait. $100 or so is cheap insurance for the playfield on a $8k-$10k game, especially since the wood these days seems quite soft. I’ve had one on Batman 66 since close to Day 1 and have had no issues with it.

#3808 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

except protectors play like absolute shit. its like buying new furniture and wrapping it in plastic. whats the point

I used to feel the same way, but not about the new thinner ones that the playfield protector guys do. If it bothers me down the road, I’ll take it off. But seeing moon crater dimpling or other playfield damage would bother me a lot more.

#3837 4 years ago

The following sales page seems to indicate that there is an official topper and shooter coming. Any one have any details?

https://pinballandmore.com/elviras-house-of-horrors-premium-pinball-machine/

Optional Upgrades:

–Elvira’s House of Horrors Backbox Topper – TBD
Official Elvira Pinball topper features a fully interactive RGB LED lighting that will elevate any Elvira Pinball playing experience to the next level. Easy install. Fits all Elvira’s House of Horrors game models.

–Elvira’s Custom Shooter Rod – TBD
Officially Licensed Elvira Shooter Knob and Rod. Fits all Elvira’s House of Horrors models.

#3841 4 years ago
Quoted from Magicchiz:

Interesting that it is NOT the card they showed in Sterns website. I wonder if they are putting in random cards that are signed or is everyone getting the same card?

If I had a card, that’s the one I’d want for sure.

I’d like to get one of those card frames with the film decal. I have a nice pic with Cassandra from Expo that I’d put there.

#3843 4 years ago
Quoted from hocuslocus:

does anyone know what other NIB issues this game has?

Here is the list I have so far other than the standard check for loose/missing parts/screws that you should do for every NIB game:

Check on HOH:

Update to latest code. Inspect playfield/clear.

Left ramp diverted gate may not work properly. Adjustment? Part defect?

House ramp hitting right gargoyle. May be caused by misaligned ramp and/or missing white spacer on right side pivot shaft between the ramp and side wall

Turn trough power down to minimize shooter lane damage (150 to 210). Adjust VUK power.

Check gargoyle switch gaps

Verify truck assembly screws are fully tightened (trunk and ramp sides). Consider aftermarket plastic cover if balls still fly off left ramp.

#3845 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

Depending on your build date, you may have the defective gate underneath the left ramp.

Do you know when this was corrected in production?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 10,499.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
PWM Designs

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

10,000 (Firm)
9,000 (Firm)
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

Cabinet - Other
Inscribed Solutions

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 47.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Space Coast Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider jfh.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread?tu=jfh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.