pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 79.
#3650 4 years ago

An enterprising mod-company that can do plastic ramps could totally engineer a Nordman-style replacement ramp with the abandoned 'dip' from the prototype. There is a lot of unused vertical space there under the glass.

I'm more sad to see the cut 'Hand of Fate' wheel down by the reject lane. A physical toy like that would have been an awesome nod to the 'Spin the Spider' wheel on Scared Stiff, and could have been really wacky and fun.

3lvira (resized).jpg3lvira (resized).jpg
#3652 4 years ago
Quoted from Vongoosewink:

An enterprising mod-company that can do plastic ramps could totally engineer a Nordman-style replacement ramp with the abandoned 'dip' from the prototype. There is a lot of unused vertical space there under the glass.
I'm more sad to see the cut 'Hand of Fate' wheel down by the reject lane. A physical toy like that would have been an awesome nod to the 'Spin the Spider' wheel on Scared Stiff, and could have been really wacky and fun.[quoted image]

Yeah, I dug that hand of fate wheel too!

#3653 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

I prefer "Junk in the Trunk" by far, plus they have a whole comedic schtick about the "Junk" voiced by Tim K.
Maybe an ambitious modder will make an alternate left ramp with the dips, like the original design. It seems pretty feasible, and it would only need to be the first half of the ramp, as the trunk makes a clean break.

Dennis said the original DD ramp was scrapped because it would have had to be very steep to get the momentum necessary to make it over the humps.

#3654 4 years ago

Just put ours out. Great game!

MVIMG_20191020_174727 (resized).jpgMVIMG_20191020_174727 (resized).jpg
#3655 4 years ago

I'm more sad to see the cut 'Hand of Fate' wheel down by the reject lane. A physical toy like that would have been an awesome nod to the 'Spin the Spider' wheel on Scared Stiff, and could have been really wacky and fun.[quoted image]

Looks like a diverter also on left ramp where it cld also go around the house and feed the right flipper

#3656 4 years ago

E3 is fun with plenty to shoot for and a lot of callouts. I’ve played 2 location LE’s and both had issues.

Software felt like it was close to complete, but if haunts or heads were missing then those will be added shortly. I was expecting the heads to be cheesy or delivered with a bad accent. I was surprised and enjoyed the three heads I did see. LE is beautiful with Elvira is on both sides, both backboxes and the backglass. Two serious negatives are the lack of a tight/difficult shot and lack of a unique shot. I’d call the game better than EATPM and like SS on steroids.

#3657 4 years ago
Quoted from kettchxxii:

Just put ours out. Great game![quoted image]

You should really play your games more. There are spider webs all over them.

#3658 4 years ago

Number 166 is set up ! I’m digging the game so far . Question ? First issue ball was behind a gate left of castle and ball search couldn’t find it ? Then I rolled it over behind drop target and game did ball search but doesn’t lower drop target ?
I apologize if this has been discussed already

Thanks!

A28D4E19-4216-4E13-8E66-4A5792A64E9A (resized).jpegA28D4E19-4216-4E13-8E66-4A5792A64E9A (resized).jpeg
#3659 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Number 166 is set up ! I’m digging the game so far . Question ? First issue ball was behind a gate left of castle and ball search couldn’t find it ? Then I rolled it over behind drop target and game did ball search but doesn’t lower drop target ?
I apologize if this has been discussed already
Thanks![quoted image]

The gate in question has a little spring on the left side the needs bent out a little. My guess is your gate is trapping the ball under it. This happened to me also. If you remove the long plastic ramp you can see the spring. Give it a little tweak and you should be good.

#3660 4 years ago

Also looks like it had inline drop targets like met?

#3661 4 years ago

It wasn't mentioned on the video if the design team used as a reference the house briefly shown in the intro of Elvira's Movie Macabre series. Looks pretty similar. Sorry for the blurry pic - screen grab off of YouTube.

ElviraMMHouse (resized).jpgElviraMMHouse (resized).jpg
#3662 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

It wasn't mentioned on the video if the design team used as a reference the house briefly shown in the intro of Elvira's Movie Macabre series. Looks pretty similar. Sorry for the blurry pic - screen grab off of YouTube.[quoted image]

Isn't that the same house used on the translite on EATPM?

#3663 4 years ago

I played it for about an hour at the pinball expo in chicago this past weekend. It is pretty damn mindblowing in person. Absolutely beautiful and the play was quite smooth. I absolutely love it, and look so forward to playing it more.

#3664 4 years ago

played one @ expo and really enjoyed it. played an LE on location this weekend with 0.83 software and experienced the following:
- the ramp to the mansion was ALWAYS in the up position and just kicked the ball back to the tip of the right flipper
- many of the modes that I saw @ expo didn't seem to be in place
- a newly launched ball got stuck under the one-way gate just past the lanes at the top of the playfield many times for us, requiring a nudge to free it
- button assisted plunge resulted in near drains due to where it was landing on the left flipper

with 0.84 being just made available, I'm guessing that was the code that was @ expo this past weekend

#3665 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

It wasn't mentioned on the video if the design team used as a reference the house briefly shown in the intro of Elvira's Movie Macabre series. Looks pretty similar. Sorry for the blurry pic - screen grab off of YouTube.[quoted image]

That's the Carson House in California...absolutely beautiful old Victorian...if not thee most beautiful Victorian...still stands.

#3666 4 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

That's the Carson House in California...absolutely beautiful old Victorian...if not thee most beautiful Victorian...still stands.

Up in Eureka? I used to live there. I visit there twice a year. (at least). That whole area is fantastic!

Hey on a side note, I am not a pinball expert. I think I've heard guys mention 3 elvira pins.
Aren't there:
Elvira and the party monsters
Scared Stiff
Monster Bash
House of Horrors?

#3667 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Up in Eureka? I used to live there. I visit there twice a year. (at least). That whole area is fantastic!
Hey on a side note, I am not a pinball expert. I think I've heard guys mention 3 elvira pins.
Aren't there:
Scared Stiff
Monster Bash
House of Horrors?

Monster Bash isn't an Elvira pinball machine but rather a tribute to classic monsters.

#3668 4 years ago
Quoted from TronGuy:

Aren't there:
Scared Stiff
Monster Bash
House of Horrors?

Elvira isn't in monster bash. That's frankenstein's bride

#3669 4 years ago

Man this game is F U N!

Swing on over to I/O Arcade in Madison and check it out (along with 11 other great pins, 30+ great vids, and WOW! the best tap list in the city!)

EV3 (resized).jpgEV3 (resized).jpg
#3670 4 years ago
Quoted from JayDee:

Elvira isn't in monster bash. That's frankenstein's bride

ha, that answers that. I'm not sure I played it, haha.

thanks

#3671 4 years ago

played a few games at expo. didn't "wow" me, but seemed like a fun pin.

#3672 4 years ago

Wow, they really nerfed it. Completely different game. The original is definitely what we expect Nordman ramps to be.

#3673 4 years ago

Perfect little mod if you want to add this to your game is the Funko mini.

F91331EB-7789-4A74-B0CA-2B5644892A89 (resized).jpegF91331EB-7789-4A74-B0CA-2B5644892A89 (resized).jpeg
#3674 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Wow, they really nerfed it. Completely different game. The original is definitely what we expect a Nordman game to be.

I definitely like that prototype. Those ramps were cool. Tell you what I’d be much more willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for this or that model if instead of just sticking to a fixed price and cutting corners on toys and parts they charged a different price for each pin but really put into it what they should. I would gladly pay $1000 more for a truly decked out pin.

#3675 4 years ago
Quoted from wayinla:

Here's a better picture of the Carson Mansion...

elvira_carson_mansion (resized).jpgelvira_carson_mansion (resized).jpg
#3676 4 years ago
Quoted from GamerRick:

I would gladly pay $1000 more for a truly decked out pin.

This is what I expected from the JJP CE line. It hasn’t really panned out that way. I missed out on my DICE dinner, my jacket is itchy. POTC was better, but I don’t know about Wonka...

Regardless, it all feels somewhat tacked on compared to truly integrating the $$ to mechanisms and moulds.

#3677 4 years ago
Quoted from _xizor:

This is what I expected from the JJP CE line. It hasn’t really planned out that way. I missed out on my DICE dinner, my jacket is itchy. POTC was better, but I don’t know about Wonka...
Regardless, it all feels somewhat tacked on compared to truly integrating the $$ to mechanisms and moulds.

Yeah both Stern and JJP seem to put the extra money into mostly meaningless bling instead of juicing up the actual machine. I’d love three levels of mechs and toys instead of three trim levels and only two mech levels.

#3678 4 years ago

Quoted from GamerRick:

I definitely like that prototype. Those ramps were cool. Tell you what I’d be much more willing to pay a few hundred dollars more for this or that model if instead of just sticking to a fixed price and cutting corners on toys and parts they charged a different price for each pin but really put into it what they should. I would gladly pay $1000 more for a truly decked out pin.

Looks like the left shot to the house had 3 inline drop targets also.

#3679 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Here's a better picture of the Carson Mansion...[quoted image]

Nice!

I lived in humboldt county for over 20 years. I love it up there.

#3680 4 years ago

I watched Escher destroy this game at the Expo... it looked incredibly dull (rinse and repeat).

Need to try in person of course but my hopes are low. JP on the other hand just gets better and better.

#3681 4 years ago

played a bunch of games on ours yesterday. Fun to shoot but man is the code buggy and needs more to it SOON!

Long ball times and lots of multiballs from the first session.

Need to be able to turn OFF attract music in settings.
Ball search needs to be fixed so it actually frees stuck balls. I have a feeling those of us operating are going to be spending a lot of time with the glass off the first few months while we find and tweak things.

#3682 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Yes, it looks like a little graveyard with tombstones

#3683 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Yes, it looks like a little graveyard with tombstones

A graveyard mod of sorts would work well with this machine, maybe something up in the empty right corner, reminiscent of the skull pile on SS?

#3684 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

For the price this game is Stern should have really left those in and the hand of fate would have been nice on the left outlane, it’s a shame stern removed all the Nordman from the game.

#3685 4 years ago

Has an "official topper" been revealed for E3? Seems like it could have a big impact on the decision making process if it was a quality design. Other top toppers we have seen:

CGC -
MMr has a great one that works on all models and will be available soon
MBr has a great one that works on all models and is available
AFMr has a great one that only works only on LE and is unavailable

JJP -
JJPOTC has a great one that only works only on CE and is unavailable

Stern -
GB has a great one that works on all models and is unavailable
GOT has a great one that works on all models and is unavailable
GOTG has a great one that works on all models and is unavailable
BM66 has a good one that works on all models and is unavailable
Star Wars has a bad one that works on all models and is permanently unavailable
BKSOR has a great one that works on all models and will be available soon
Elvira 3 ???

#3686 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Has an "official topper" been revealed for E3?

Nothing has been announced. Rumor is there is no official one from Stern, but I haven’t been able to confirm that.

#3687 4 years ago
Quoted from J85M:

For the price this game is Stern should have really left those in and the hand of fate would have been nice on the left outlane, it’s a shame stern removed all the Nordman from the game.

What motivation does Stern have? Until people stop buying the latest and greatest, expect more of the same.

#3688 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

What motivation does Stern have? Until people stop buying the latest and greatest, expect more of the same.

Won’t see me arguing with you on this, your 100% on the money, I honestly think with the current market stern could send out a colour by numbers playfield and sell out of the LE!

#3689 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

First let me start that I agree with you 100%. If it was possible to agree with you even more than I would.
Now, here is the however...

However, lets be honest if its a hot theme if you do not buy right away you run the risk of not getting the pin that you want. I almost had to scramble to get an LE from a different distributor because I called him a week before the initial announcement to get my spot. Yeah... Almost didn't get one and it wasn't officially announced yet. I called after the images leaked, because I figured that was a safe time to act. Now, I could have gotten one no doubt from a different distro, but I want to buy from the people locally and only 60 miles away from me. I feel you get better service.

With my monster bash le. I waited the Monday after the expo it debuted in to try to get my LE. Man, that was a pain in the butt to find one. So, some pins get gobbled up fast and you cannot wait.

I also don't know how liquid Stern is. If a pin of theirs doesn't sell. They do stand the chance at going under. A lot of businesses like this are actually more hand to mouth than you might think. Lou Schiemer who ran Filmation, was always one project away from shuttering the doors. And they were one of the most successful animation studios in America for three decades(This isn't about quality of animation its about projects and money).
If we all stopped by from Stern. Then I think it would hurt their bottom line and I don't think we would get our updates. I think if anything it would lead to greater cost cutting measures, and LESS CODE!!!

Yes, they could always say... You know what... Games don't have to be deep. We'll ship them, and just make shallow games with one wizard mode. Not saying they would. But, I think we are a bit spoiled when some people complain about games like Addams Family and Monster Bash being shallow... Sure, they are... But, they're so much fun to shoot. You don't need an insanely deep game to be fun, and I actually don't like insanely deep games. I like a moderate amount of depth, to me Star Wars is too deep. I just shut my mind off and flip. That's the only way I can enjoy that game.

And to code a game deeply you need a team. Not just one person, but his crew of people who code it. It needs animations, and sounds and that all takes time and money.

So while I do think a game should ship as close to 1.0 code as possible... I think its a joke that Elvira was .83 and that was really bad .84 is sooo much better(but, really could have shipped with a bit more polish than even .84). I think if we stopped buying it would in fact have an adverse reaction on stern.
And lastly...
Most video games don't even ship with complete code. Most have day 1 patches. And most then are tweaked for the next few months.
Pinball has more in common with video games today, then the old em's of yesteryear.
So I sadly don't think you can put the toothpaste back into the tube.
Sadly I think this is just the new normal. But, lets think of it this way. Our support and continued support will lead to the machines getting better. Yes, it was stupid how long Ghostbusters took to get updated. But, it happened and people love the new update. Doesn't mean we shouldn't get on Stern and tell them we want updates, and I think that does get some attention. But, they could always scale back their ideals of what should be coded into a machine and say every game has ruleset like space shuttle(which I like the rules to... just not of for a modern game).

#3690 4 years ago

Where’s all the Mods ? They had a lot for Munsters LE before I got my game
( which was sold )

#3691 4 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Where’s all the Mods ? They had a lot for Munsters LE before I got my game
( which was sold )

This has been covered before. Most mod makers don’t get LEs so they don’t have games yet.

#3692 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

This has been covered before. Most mod makers don’t get LEs so they don’t have games yet.

I think most sane people don't get LEs as well... But, I've never been known for my sanity.

#3695 4 years ago
Quoted from Diospinball:

I think most sane people don't get LEs as well... But, I've never been known for my sanity.

...seems we share a similar affliction.

#3696 4 years ago
Quoted from FtrMech:

...seems we share a similar affliction.

I joined the insanity club one year ago. I refuse all treatment. You are not alone.....

#3697 4 years ago

Lyman is really cranking out the incremental updates. Another one today...

V0.85.0 - Oct. 22, 2019
=======================

- The starting house haunt was not being initialized/reset properly in
all cases. This has been corrected.
- Removed the adjustment for photo shoot. This adjustment will be reset
to NO after update.
- Improved ramp/diverter handling.
- Fixed background lamp effect for house haunts so the cellar lamp shows
correctly when the cellar is lit.
- Added moving super jackpot for Wild Women Multiball.
- Added a score countdown (hurry-up) for shooting ramp shots during
Trailer Trash. When Trailer Trash starts, the house ramp shot is worth
1/2 of the points scored during the last haunt. The first ramp shot
increases this value to 3/4 and starts counting the value down. The
second ramp shot increases this value to 100% and starts counting the
value down.
- Added some sounds to bonus.
- Reorganized priorities so Gargoyles Gone Wild is higher than Happy Hour
and Drive Me Crazy.
- Add additional adjustments to adjustment menu.
- Game over music was not being quieted after a period of time at the end
of a game. This has been corrected.
- Added and implemented virtual lock adjustments.
- Added and implemented game over unlock of garage balls locked and trunk
balls locked.

#3698 4 years ago

I think that the opening track of the movie would have been an excellent choice for a multiball mode:

#3699 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Looks like a diverter also on left ramp where it cld also go around the house and feed the right flipper

Good catch.
Aside from the argument that the left ramp would be too steep and cause (too) many rollbacks, it only dawned on me after the seminar that cost-cutting makes no sense on this game. After all, there is no Pro model. These are all Premium and up. And still, stuff is taken out. That makes no sense to me.
The diverter at the top of the ramp would be a very welcome variation on gameplay, but I fear had to be taken out because the ramp would not be high enough to feed the ball to the right ramp as well. Too bad. I also thought the ball saves under the flipper would have been great. Again I don't see why this had to be taken out. After all, the people buying this game are well aware of what they are buying. The Italian bottom argument makes no sense to me.
What I do see is that this game is a political minefield.
I found it rather disappointing that Cassandra left the Elvira seminar after 10 minutes as she apparently didn't want to sit in on the 'technical stuff.' Too bad as she probably could have made some great comments.

Last Monday I had a quick talk with Greg Freres at Stern where I expressed my hope that they would stick to the Deadhead introduction like on SS: The count announces the Deadhead and Elvira makes a comment about it. After that the deadhead could interact with gameplay they envision. I figured this would not so much be a copy of the feature in SS, but building on top of it and expanding it.
Greg did assure me the deadhead modes are already being looked into.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 26.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.95
$ 1,099.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Paradise Distribution

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 60.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Wake Forest, NC
$ 20.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 74 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/74?hl=cverity and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.