3 years ago

Topic Stats

• 3,873 posts
  • 571 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by FtrMech
  • Topic is favorited by 153 Pinsiders

You

Topic Gallery

There have been 382 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

20191210_172109 (resized).jpg
villains-1024x410[1] (resized).jpg
F7402BA3-0B72-4E18-A26E-FFC3610B33C8 (resized).jpeg
6235F3C4-0814-49A4-9EC6-8F888DE2F098 (resized).jpeg
7E96A5E8-2A53-4AD3-841B-B29F49AE87C5 (resized).jpeg
F1B44BF1-EB94-47EE-8930-39578667E003 (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg
FB_IMG_1572734376095 (resized).jpg
IMG20191103004612 (resized).jpg
IMG_20191103_005037 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3873 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 78.
#3201 4 months ago

Even the side art above next to the pop bumpers shows Elvira's Hot Tub which is an homage to Elvira's Party Punch cauldron in EATPM.
elvira_cauldron (resized).jpg

#3202 4 months ago

Yeah the pops and elvira in her floaty look great but it seems to me that we will not be able to see much of that area when playing. Much like Star Wars, man I can only hear those pops and cant see a damn thing. They should have redirected that art to down by the flippers.

#3203 4 months ago
Quoted from RobertWinter:

Warning! This is a VERY long post!

I've intentionally taken a hiatus from this thread once all the negativity after the stream started. Now that it has calmed down somewhat, I'll give my thoughts, albeit biased, on the game.
I love the overall feel of the game. The big haunted house on the playfield definitely sets the mood. After watching the stream, I have rewatched it numerous times to focus on the LCD to help with my understanding of game play. On game start, the LCD sets the mood with the house and lots of info areas on the screen. Not overly crowded IMO.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I'll address one of the elephants in the room first, the Pool Party tubes. I had the same reaction as most others had, that it looked out of place. I understand the tie-in, but it didn't fit over the B-movie playing behind it. Maybe if on the first pop-bumper hit a "Pool Party" graphic replaced the B-movie playback while the tubes are popping onto the screen, and then reverts back to the movie after the ball exits the pops? Or maybe the tubes could be made a bit "spookier" looking by using the art that's on the pop bumper caps?
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The other elephant is the Deadheads. Personally, I like the different personalities that are being introduced here. In SS, you only got a quick glimpse of each Deadhead (Fish Head, Shrunken Head, etc). Here you get taunted by the current Deadhead in play until you banish them back into the crypt. The continuous floating head may be a little much. Again, they seem a little out of place floating around the main screen over movie. Maybe confine the current Deadhead in play to one of the smaller screens on the right while it's in play? Because I believe when you *do* banish one, they become a portrait over there.
[quoted image]
I *do* love the intro sequence for each Deadhead. How the floating skull turns into a Deadhead.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
And the Crypt Open sequence was very well done.
[quoted image]
One thing I missed during the initial stream was the Trailer Trash. This is when a mode is finished, you have the ability to collect an additional 50, 75 or 100% of the points collected during that mode. Shoot the house, get 50%. Shoot one ramp then the house for 75%. Shoot both ramps then the house for the full 100%. A timer starts on the first ramp shot so this is a fun little hurry up option after each mode for additional points.
[quoted image]
I like that there are playfield multipliers as well. Complete the target banks (Trunk Combo and Hand of Fate) on both sides to light an inlane shot to increase the multiplier.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The lock animation for Junk In The Trunk is a fun throwback to the SS animation.
[quoted image]
Oh, and let's talk about the Elvira clips. Everyone has stated they wanted more Elvira but I like how the intro clips were sprinkled in. They were a little repetitious after a few plays, but I'm sure there will be many more options in the final version. You can also skip the video intros with a flipper cancel should you wish. Of the few clips I saw, I really enjoyed them. The Silver Bullet beer reference and the "you know, MY age" had me smiling.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
Here's a good example of *way* too many things on the screen at one time. There's the movie clip in the back. A still of Elvira over that during an intro to Wild Women Multiball. The Floating Deadhead. A pool party tube. And the WWM title. But it also shows you how much is happening in the game *simultaneously*.
[quoted image]
Looks like there are a lot of fun modes throughout the game - House Party, Wild Women Multiball, Hand of Fate and Unhappy Hour to name just a few.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
The animations for the LCD are all very well done and fit the theme very well.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
I *do* hope the match sequence is updated as it looks very rough at the moment.
[quoted image]

I don't consider myself a "super fan" but I do enjoy all things Elvira. Of all the models, I personally prefer the LE over the Premium. Why? Cabinet art is the main attraction for me in the price differential. I also started adding things that I would normally add to a game - powder coated armor, art blades, shaker, non-glare glass. With those and the other LE upgrades like the mirrored backglass, upgraded speaker system and lower arch, I feel it's definitely worth the added expense for the LE. I don't see the value in the SE.
Overall, I'm really looking forward to this game. I know what we saw was a only glimpse of what the game will ultimately become.
Do I wish the game were cheaper? Of course. But I wish ALL games were cheaper.

Great review. We have similar view on this pin.

I can not stand the water rafts. Please Stern take them out.

651056C5-010B-4A50-83C2-F6D911B51778 (resized).jpeg
#3204 4 months ago

Played my LE today. I think everyone needs to calm.down trust me this game is gonna be great. The gameplay is early but great. It has early code but the core thats there is killer

FB_IMG_1570061497357 (resized).jpgFB_IMG_1570061503911 (resized).jpg
#3205 4 months ago
Quoted from Robertstone0407:

Played my LE today. I think everyone needs to calm.down trust me this game is gonna be great. The gameplay is early but great. It has early code but the core thats there is killer[quoted image][quoted image]

Congrats!!
Looks great and appears art runs to the posts on this one? Cheers to no issues and a ton of horror!

#3206 4 months ago

Any suggestions on what the tubes and deadheads should be rather than what they are?

#3207 4 months ago

Played my LE today.

Congrats! You should post this to the Owner's thread - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-s-house-of-horrors-the-owner-s-club

What number is your LE?

Can you take some clear pictures of the backglass? Would love to see some better detail...

#3208 4 months ago

The game looks amazing. The review above was dead on!!! Can’t wait to play my LE!!!

#3209 4 months ago

Because pumpkins and skulls don't float!
But seriously, the pop bumper area is where the pool party is and the pop bumpers represent floaties.
[quoted image]
It's all a throwback to the Monster Slide on EATPM.
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
But I get your point about wanting it to be a little "spookier". That's why I suggested using the pop bumper plastic art that has gargoyles and skeletons in the floaties.

Don’t get the entire floaties ?
Spooky ? Halloween yes

#3210 4 months ago

Played my LE today. I think everyone needs to calm.down trust me this game is gonna be great. The gameplay is early but great. It has early code but the core thats there is killer

Congrats on getting your machine! Makes me even more anxious!

#3211 4 months ago

Ive never understood how people can judge a pin based on a stream, until now. One poster really broke down the issues with the game, namely the way the ball just seems to dribble back down through the pops, or off different shots. Not much rebound or speed. After watching the clips he posted, and described the issues as he saw them, I played some MET and EHOH did seem slow and floaty, while MET is much faster. This is not meant to be a comparison, but it does show what appear to be physical issues with the pin. Code cant save that.

#3212 4 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I played some MET and EHOH did seem slow and floaty, while MET is much faster.

Good thing you have a MET.

#3213 4 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Ive never understood how people can judge a pin based on a stream, until now. One poster really broke down the issues with the game, namely the way the ball just seems to dribble back down through the pops, or off different shots. Not much rebound or speed. After watching the clips he posted, and described the issues as he saw them, I played some MET and EHOH did seem slow and floaty, while MET is much faster. This is not meant to be a comparison, but it does show what appear to be physical issues with the pin. Code cant save that.

Pitch can.

#3214 4 months ago

Played my LE today. I think everyone needs to calm.down trust me this game is gonna be great. The gameplay is early but great. It has early code but the core thats there is killer[quoted image][quoted image]

Looks fantastic. Thanks very much for sharing.

#3215 4 months ago

I admit, im not into streams much, so are you saying the game was setup incorrectly in the stream.

#3216 4 months ago

Apparently there are only 50 if the signature edition. What is do different that they are 15k? I guess I am not understanding.

#3217 4 months ago
Quoted from Vino:

Congrats!!
Looks great and appears art runs to the posts on this one? Cheers to no issues and a ton of horror!

This pin screams everything, but House of Horrors.

#3218 4 months ago

Great! It looks stunning. What is the game code version?

#3219 4 months ago

Man your Elvira does look awesome !

Yellow apron card on an LE,
( I know such a trivial thing that can be easily fixed, but seriously ?? )

C'mon Stern These are collectors machines How about something special ?

Ripped off !
WW.gif

#3220 4 months ago

And wax. Wax turned my Tron into a maniac.

#3221 4 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Apparently there are only 50 if the signature edition. What is do different that they are 15k? I guess I am not understanding.

No differences in game play between any of the models. Differences are cosmetic only.

#3222 4 months ago
Quoted from Roostking:

I admit, im not into streams much, so are you saying the game was setup incorrectly in the stream.

If balls are floaty then yes it needs to go up. I keep my games anywhere from 6.5 to 7.2 Just depends on the feel.

#3223 4 months ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Quoted from Roostking:

This pin screams everything, but House of Horrors.

The sexiest pictures of Elvira are tiny and barely noticeable on the game. The one in the pops will never be seen. Some interesting decisions with this game. I have no doubt it will be fun to shoot, but I hope Elvira’s involvement is better in total than what we’ve seen so far.

#3224 4 months ago

Overall I really like what I’ve seen so far. I dig Elvira and B movies like this. But the pool floaties are pretty bad. Maybe if they were used less like during a super pops mode or something like that. No need to see them every time a pop is hit. Plus I wish they were bats or something like that.
Can’t wait to play it though.

#3225 4 months ago

Over 3200 posts in this thread and this is pretty much the only one I care about.

#3226 4 months ago
Quoted from corvair61:

Over 3200 posts in this thread and this is pretty much the only one I care about.

I didnt think the game was slow. It just had long ball times. I did get with my buddy and whos friends with lyman and they wanted some feedback. Theres one ball trap thats and a spot the ball flys off the ramp. Game is about as fast as MM. I think turning up some coil powers will remedy it. I never thought it felt slow though. The sdtm from the pops didnt seem as predominate on mine. I think the code and music that is there is good and the gameplay is good enough to not stress. Also i dont know if they changed the code I didn't really notice the floating heads like i did in the stream

#3227 4 months ago

I like that you are positive. I have one coming. Can’t wait. Should I be excited?

#3228 4 months ago

You should do a video since there is only one out there and it is done linearly..

#3229 4 months ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

So for this price tag you don't get drop targets? Really! Thats robbery.

Its the reason I'm not buying. I wanted to buy it. I have money sitting there screaming at me to purchase. But its bullchit that they continue to charge more for less, and the only way I can voice my displeasure with it is to NOT buy. Sucks, but its the right thing to do.

#3230 4 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Its the reason I'm not buying. I wanted to buy it. I have money sitting there screaming at me to purchase. But its bullchit that they continue to charge more for less, and the only way I can voice my displeasure with it is to NOT buy. Sucks, but its the right thing to do.

Some games have drop targets, some don't...seems to be more of a design decision than a money decision (unless a Prem/LE has drops and the Pro doesn't). Standups play differently than drops...maybe this is what Dennis wanted? Forgive me if he said somewhere that he had planned drops & they were costed out.

#3231 4 months ago

It's also possible the drop targets were bricking from kickout shots, a la AC/DC. Nothing more frustrating than having a huge song jackpot lit with 3x running, nailing the target, and watching it bounce off.

#3232 4 months ago

I‘m also finding it pretty easy to say no to this game. I really like Mr. Nordman‘s games, but where are the crazy ramps? I always thought that was his trademark. The house forces him to squeeze some lackluster ramps into the narrow sides. I also think the house should do more. One shot into the front door and one to the left. There should be a VUK takng the ball to an upper floor. And the game is crazy expensive. But I‘m sure it‘ll be a blast to play. It‘s a cool idea to create a unique movie based on your play (at least that‘s the way I understood it). And it sure is a looker.

#3233 4 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Please tell both your distributor and Stern.

#3234 4 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Good call! I was playing a Game of Thrones premium today on location and couldn't help but to think how much more is in that game compared to Elvira and yet all Elvira models cost significantly more. Same can be said for Ghostbusters premium / LE compared to Elivra.

I think Elivra looks great and I'm sure it will have incredible code. However, at some point these high prices need be backed up by what is included on the playfield.

#3235 4 months ago

Guys im pretty picky if you look at my collection i think i have good tatse. This game is rock solid and could become one of my favorites. Im making a laser cut air ball deflector ill keep you guys posted i think stern could take awhile. This game is worth the wait guys. Also i put pinstadiums in its not a debate if you need them or what ever im just saying. It let me switch some of the GI out from white to purple. I thought it was dumb the night sky behind the house had white lights. Now its much more mood setting. If you dont have pinstadiums it could make the game kinda dark. I got the beta code from lyman today looks like we are on .86

20191003_113807 (resized).jpg
#3236 4 months ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Some games have drop targets, some don't...seems to be more of a design decision than a money decision (unless a Prem/LE has drops and the Pro doesn't). Standups play differently than drops...maybe this is what Dennis wanted? Forgive me if he said somewhere that he had planned drops & they were costed out.

Oh my biggest issue wasn't the lack of drop targets, but its a cumulative thing, no drop targets, no topper, using plastic instead of metal ramps, and going up $400 more dollars was the deal breaker. How do they justify the cost hike? What are we getting for that extra $400? Enough is enough.

#3237 4 months ago

Guys im pretty picky if you look at my collection i think i have good tatse. This game is rock solid and could become one of my favorites. Im making a laser cut air ball deflector ill keep you guys posted i think stern could take awhile. This game is worth the wait guys. Also i put pinstadiums in its not a debate if you need them or what ever im just saying. It let me switch some of the GI out from white to purple. I thought it was dumb the night sky behind the house had white lights. Now its much more mood setting. If you dont have pinstadiums it could make the game kinda dark. I got the beta code from lyman today looks like we are on .86[quoted image]

Tell me more about these pinstadiums of which you speak.

#3238 4 months ago
Quoted from Jason_Jehosaphat:

Production Schedule: Premiums first, then LEs and finally, Signature Editions?

LEs look to be first. Robertstone already received his. Iceman and others were told by distributors to expect theirs next week.

I believe the right side of the LE arch will be pre-signed by the design team.

That looks to be correct. The pics of Robertstone's game in this thread do show the signatures there.

Quoted from Peanuts:

Great! It looks stunning. What is the game code version?

Played my LE today. It has early code but what's there is killer. I got the beta code from Lyman today looks like we are on .86 now.

Quoted from Daditude:

Apparently there are only 50 of the Signature Edition. What is so different that they are $15K?

The main difference is the cabinet art shared with the LE but done in an embossed metallic finish on the SE only (like the embossed metallic finish on the picture of the Batmobile on the Batman66 SLE cabinet). SE also gets red powder coating with metallic flecks in it versus LE's solid red powder coated trim. And then there's the collector card signed by Elvira mounted on the apron of SEs only. I'll bet the embossed art on the SE cabinet looks stunning!

Quoted from branlon8:

I think the house should do more than one shot into the front door and one to the left.

The house does do more. The garage entrance to the left locks balls just like the same shot to the castle in MM. The front door leads to a motorized diverter that directs the ball to different exits based on the modes. And the lift ramp in front of the door raises to expose the cellar entrance. Not to mention the rotating attic atop the mansion and the extensive RGB light show for both illuminating the exterior and individually lighting the numerous windows.

#3239 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Good call! I was playing a Game of Thrones premium today on location and couldn't help but to think how much more is in that game compared to Elvira and yet all Elvira models cost significantly more. Same can be said for Ghostbusters premium / LE compared to Elivra.
I think Elivra looks great and I'm sure it will have incredible code. However, at some point these high prices need be backed up by what is included on the playfield.

GOT is packed with features?

#3240 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

The Haunted House in Elvira looks like a better toy than anything on GoT Premium IMO. I have a GoT (great game), but the Pro has nothing (battering ram, 4 drops and a spinner), and the Premium adds the upper playfield. Elvira has a giant friggin' haunted house, a Crypt and 4 Gar-Goil toys and I'm sure a ton more video assets on a video screen! As well as 1 drop and a spinner - so GoT does have 3 more drops and a battering ram LOL.

#3241 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Quoted from gliebig:

GOT is packed with features?

Was thinking the same thing. I like GOT and love the code but it is about as featureless as they come. Strange example to pick.

#3242 4 months ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Was thinking the same thing. I like GOT and love the code but it is about as featureless as they come. Strange example to pick.

GOT premium has a large mini playfield with 2 full size flippers, moving dragon toy, 4 drop targets, battering ram toy, kick back mech in middle of playfield, iron throne toy, physical ball lock at right ramp, and metal habit rails.

Not comparing GOT pro with Elvira, that's not a comparable game.

#3243 4 months ago

Guys im pretty picky if you look at my collection i think i have good tatse. This game is rock solid and could become one of my favorites. Im making a laser cut air ball deflector ill keep you guys posted i think stern could take awhile. This game is worth the wait guys. Also i put pinstadiums in its not a debate if you need them or what ever im just saying. It let me switch some of the GI out from white to purple. I thought it was dumb the night sky behind the house had white lights. Now its much more mood setting. If you dont have pinstadiums it could make the game kinda dark. I got the beta code from lyman today looks like we are on .86

#3244 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

GOT premium has a large mini playfield with 2 full size flippers, moving dragon toy, 4 drop targets, battering ram toy, kick back mech in middle of playfield, iron throne toy, physical ball lock at right ramp, and metal habit rails.
Not comparing GOT pro with Elvira, that's not a comparable game.

Your really reaching on this one. Fun game but the upper playfield is an ugly eye sore and doesnt integrate very well into the game. It also a whopping 1 ramp and 6 shots game. The ball lock is cool but is hardly a wowing feature, the dragon moves so slow and awkwardly, the throne is ok but a tiny fraction of the game. The battling ram is a constant sensitivity issue on most games. I do love the kick back and the full rgb lighting. But as far a good looking sculpted molds and interactive stuff, Elvira smokes GOT. Like I said, strange one to pick for comparison.

#3245 4 months ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Your really reaching on this one. Fun game but the upper playfield is an ugly eye sore and doesnt integrate very well into the game. It also a whopping 1 ramp and 6 shots game. The ball lock is cool but is hardly a wowing feature, the dragon moves so slow and awkwardly, the throne is ok but a tiny fraction of the game. The battling ram is a constant sensitivity issue on most games. I do love the kick back and the full rgb lighting. But as far a good looking sculpted molds and interactive stuff, Elvira smokes GOT. Like I said, strange one to pick for comparison.

Let's say they are even. Why is Elvira so much more expensive then the latest Stern's? Is there a Kapow fee built into the price of this one like with Batman 66?

#3246 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Let's say they are even. Why is Elvira so much more expensive then the latest Stern's? Is there a Kapow fee built into the price of this one like with Batman 66?

The 90’s just called: Let's not and say we did

#3247 4 months ago

How does this work? Is sounds neat..... from the feature matrix

“Make-Your-Own Dang B-Movie Trailer” from various library clips of vast content. Game will programmatically “build” a movie trailer based on the player’s
individual gameplay experience

https://sternpinball.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/Elviras-House-of-Horrors-Pinball-Feature-Matrix.pdf

#3248 4 months ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

Oh my biggest issue wasn't the lack of drop targets, but its a cumulative thing, no drop targets, no topper, using plastic instead of metal ramps, and going up $400 more dollars was the deal breaker. How do they justify the cost hike? What are we getting for that extra $400? Enough is enough.

Hey I hear ya on the enough is enough. Stern NIB prices reached peak stupidity in 2014 IMO & and flat out evil with B66 in 2016.

That being said, games have always sometimes had plastic ramps, sometimes metal. I see that more as a game to game and designer preference thing vs. a cost issue.

At the end of the day, you’re not paying per part. You’re buying a product that’s price is dictated by the cost of running the business. These prices are paying for all the employees, the factory, the marketing, the licensing, the travel, etc. If Stern still only had 1 designer, 1 dots artist, and 1 programmer like they did in 2010, prices could probably be lower...but that’s just not the reality of how the joint is run. So - when looking at a new pin & price, you have to look at one simple thing: DO I NEED THIS? If you love the theme & the game is super fun, buy it. If anything about the purchase will bother you, pass. Stern is gonna Stern. This will not change.

#3249 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

How much more expensive is it? Like $300 for the Premium I think. Not that much more. I know the CPR EATPM playfields cost more due to "increased licensing", so I think it is safe to say she gets a healthy cut.

#3250 4 months ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I wasn't aware it is a ton more expensive. My game quote was $300 more, I dont want to give away $300 but that's not really a big difference % wise. I'd guess using a contract designer and getting the custom speech cost a little more then most games. I'd also guess that it costs more because they know they can. Its Elvira with Lyman coding, people are going to buy it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 65.00
Lighting - Backbox
Arcade Upkeep
$ 25.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
17,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Los Altos, CA
$ 80.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
COINTAKER.COM
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball LEDs
There are 3873 posts in this topic. You are on page 65 of 78.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside