pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 79.
#2851 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

My first impressions
+ What stands out the most to me is the flow of the layout. It actually took me by surprise. Shots to the house were smooth upon exit, ramps look very fun, and opto spinner and orbits in general look like a blast to hit.
+ The mechanisms and toys did not disappoint. The house of horrors is bad ass enough, but then you have the trunk with a unique exit and the multiple state change dead head tomb. Again, they all look fun and not phoned-in. Oh oh oh the gargoyles hitting the glass! YES!!!
+ You can see where Lyman is going with code and the structure may be more cohesive when finished than BM66. The different films as mode played perfectly and I wanted to see the next film. Let’s hope the modes differentiate from one another to put the cherry on top. The Stiffometer 2.0 will have depth as well.
+ For early prototype beta code, the light show is already a spectacle, especially with the house (exterior lighting changes, window color differentiation, etc.)
+ Freaking Elvira introduces each mode, cmon. LCD layout is good and animations, for the most part, are looking nice, which is becoming a norm for Stern.
+ The Sound! All vocals perfectly capture the theme and already surpass many Stern titles. And I love the main score created for the background.
- The code is early. I’ll give Lyman credit though, it’s much further along than BM66 was at reveal.
- I agree with some of you that a few animations aren’t working. The pool floats aren’t the issue. In my opinion, they need to be refined a bit more to fit the style of the game. The dead head animations are actually really well done and offer new characters to the world. I just don’t need them floating around the main display. Having them travel along the perimeter of the display makes more sense and would be welcomed.
- Give me a bonus countdown. Of course this will be done, but tough to see it go straight to next player so quickly. I would also love seeing something a bit more visually appealing during the main multiball. Either different scenes or switching up the content randomly across this multiball.
- We can’t have enough Elvira and main announcer call-outs. It’s what keeps us smiling while playing Scared Stiff. Again, this will likely come with code development.
The long and short is that everything I seen that can’t change is terrific and things I’d like to seen change, can with code. For me, I always wanted to love BM66 but couldn’t get into the layout or mechs, and the code while deep, lacked dynamic mood and tone. It always felt nostalgic but in a way that I couldn’t relate, given my age. Elvira House Of Horrors is different and transcends age. This game looks campy, exciting, visually appealing, and fun! I’m already sad I didn’t get an LE, but the Premium will work very nicely, especially as code continues to develop.

No flipper Toppers..LOL

#2852 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Obvious distributor is obvious.

Sigh....no longer allowed to like pinball....

#2853 4 years ago

To those saying the code should be further along because Lyman has been on the game for three years, that would only go fair if the final version of the game were available to him for that long which clearly isn’t the case. I’m sure he can only program so much on a computer or Spike simulator or whatever the development platform is before needing to see it on a real game.

I got the impression from the stream that we were seeing a relatively small subset of the code because it was either incomplete or they disnr want to show some modes. We do have a good idea of the overall theme and structure (haunted house, return monsters to film to sell the house unlike Batman at a similar point in time where the overall game play design hadn’t really been decided.

My initial impressions mirror many comments here:
1) floating deadheads need to be improved and made more translucent

2) pop bumper swimming rings are fine but seem a bit jarring because the colors are so bright compared to the underlying footage. Maybe make smaller or confine to the sides/corners or the screen.

3) need Elvira call outs other than the custom video stuff. Didn’t hear the double entendres I expected. Apparently we will get more from the narrator,so that’s good

4) would like to see Lyman use the channel changing function from Batman somehow to see multiple movies at once or something that fits into the “channel changing” construct. People absolutely love that when they see it in Batman and since Elvira also uses a TV for video that fits.

5) Game shoots well but we will have to see how well the code leverages those shots

6) I think the stream gives us an idea of where Lyman is going. I like it and think the game will end up feeling like the third game in a trilogy (that’s good), but suspect we will still hear a lot of negativity at release about how unfinished the code is. The big difference is we are dealing with Lyman who (a) is an awesome player (b) is a perfectionist and (c) is working on a theme he really wanted to do (like Batman) so I’m fairly confident E3 will become a deep and varied game that makes use of the AV assets better than any game other than Batman.

I like what I see and want the game. That said, I’m not buying one anytime soon.

I almost violated the promise I made to myself two years ago when I started a thread called “A Dark Night for Stern” about how Stern’s presentation at Expo 2017. I said “I'm no longer going to buy a game for what it might become in the future or what a company tells me they are going to do. Actions speak louder than words. I'm going to be buying on what I get today, not promises of what I'll get tomorrow.”

That was primarily about code. I let my guard down a little when I ordered an Elvira LE after I saw the game announcement, confident that Lyman would do the game justice. I cancelled the order primarily because I have near zero confidence Stern has fixed the clear coat issues or would take care of me if my new game was impacted. I’ve decided that I need to stick to my promise to myself and only buy the game when I’m happy with what I know when I buy it. It’s very hard to do because this is a dream theme for me and it sucks that I will probably not end up with an LE, but a used LE or NIB Premium in the next year when I know the entirety of the machine seems to be the smartest move. Thanks to the early adopters that makes that approach possible for me.

#2854 4 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

Obvious distributor is obvious.

I agree with pretty much everything Zach said, distributor or not.

#2855 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

You can have an opinion but everything has a cost and selling machines makes your intentions questionable amongst some of The Pinsiders. Small cost is my opinion but if you value their approval I’m sorry. And a little sad for you!

#2856 4 years ago

Dennis Nordman remaining mostly silent was a bit unnerving to me during the feed. I couldn’t help but imagine maybe Stern had gutted some key elements and he was biting down hard. Then again, I don’t know him at all.

Those floating heads have had no positive feedback- threatens to Jarjar Bink any Nice work Lyman could do. Then the price. Yeah it’s embarrassing, I’ll have to find a way to get over it. Sheet.
I liked everything else. I watched movie macabre show indirectly while making out. It was great. I’m in. For better or worse.

#2857 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

To those saying the code should be further along because Lyman has been on the game for three years, that would only go fair if the final version of the game were available to him for that long which clearly isn’t the case. I’m sure he can only program so much on a computer or Spike simulator or whatever the development platform is before needing to see it on a real game.

Sooooo..... you don’t think there’s been a fully populated prototype palyfield available to code with until just now?

#2858 4 years ago
Quoted from Redfield0009:

I was incredibly bored watching the stream and lost interest after 20 minutes

Same here.

The whole thing looked boring to me. Shots were all the same - same distance from the flippers, same angle, same width, same shots on each side, same boring ramps on each side. The ball might do something different once you make the shot, but it’s still the same shot. And there’s literally nothing else to shoot for.

Can code fix a boring layout? Maybe. Lyman’s the man if it can. Definitely one to sit out and see.

#2859 4 years ago

Yep the group (except Jack) were low energy guys, I am not saying they are bad at their jobs but they are boring as F. Contrast that to when Dwight was explaining the updates on GOT.

#2860 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Same here.
The whole thing looked boring to me. Shots were all the same - same distance from the flippers, same angle, same width, same shots on each side, same boring ramps on each side. The ball might do something different once you make the shot, but it’s still the same shot. And there’s literally nothing else to shoot for.
Can code fix a boring layout? Maybe. Lyman’s the man if it can. Definitely one to sit out and see.

I think JP looks and shoots better. Still waiting to here from Stern on playfield replacement.

#2861 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

Well you know what they say when you make your hobby your job.....you now have a fun job but your hobby becomes work.

(Actually I just made that up.)

#2862 4 years ago
Quoted from Multiballmaniac1:

I think JP looks and shoots better. Still waiting to here from Stern on playfield replacement.

Yeh, hard to compete with the excitement of something completely new and different in JP.

#2863 4 years ago
Quoted from rai:

Yep the group (except Jack) were low energy guys, I am not saying they are bad at their jobs but they are boring as F.

I was thinking maybe there was a bit of a weird vibe because Nordman is now at Deeproot.

#2864 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

Sooooo..... you don’t think there’s been a fully populated prototype palyfield available to code with until just now?

I’m sure one has existed for a while, but not years or substantially longer than the average development cycle.

#2865 4 years ago

I agree with CrazyLevi that half the posters who complain about things like the floating heads and proclaim that they're out on this game were never in on it in the first place. If it wasn't for the recent clear coat issues this would be a great time for Stern pinball. JP has an interesting layout and cool mechs (at least on the premium and LE) and Elvira's House of Horrors has cool mechs in a more conventional layout and original video by Elvira. Pick whichever one you prefer because they both look pretty good to me.

#2866 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

I agree with CrazyLevi that half the posters who complain about things like the floating heads and proclaim that they're out on this game were never in on it in the first place. If it wasn't for the recent clear coat issues this would be a great time for Stern pinball. JP has an interesting layout and cool mechs (at least on the premium and LE) and Elvira's House of Horrors has cool mechs in a more conventional layout and original video by Elvira. Pick whichever one you prefer because they both look pretty good to me.

It’s a great time to be picky in pinball.

#2867 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there. Stern offers near instant gratification with how fast they can ship games. At these prices though I've become much more selective with buying NIB games. Elvira looks cool but considering the price of the LE I rather wait until next year when JJP releases Toy Story.

Expect more of the same when Led Zeppelin gets released!

#2868 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

My first impressions
+ What stands out the most to me is the flow of the layout. It actually took me by surprise. Shots to the house were smooth upon exit, ramps look very fun, and opto spinner and orbits in general look like a blast to hit.
+ The mechanisms and toys did not disappoint. The house of horrors is bad ass enough, but then you have the trunk with a unique exit and the multiple state change dead head tomb. Again, they all look fun and not phoned-in. Oh oh oh the gargoyles hitting the glass! YES!!!
+ You can see where Lyman is going with code and the structure may be more cohesive when finished than BM66. The different films as mode played perfectly and I wanted to see the next film. Let’s hope the modes differentiate from one another to put the cherry on top. The Stiffometer 2.0 will have depth as well.
+ For early prototype beta code, the light show is already a spectacle, especially with the house (exterior lighting changes, window color differentiation, etc.)
+ Freaking Elvira introduces each mode, cmon. LCD layout is good and animations, for the most part, are looking nice, which is becoming a norm for Stern.
+ The Sound! All vocals perfectly capture the theme and already surpass many Stern titles. And I love the main score created for the background.
- The code is early. I’ll give Lyman credit though, it’s much further along than BM66 was at reveal.
- I agree with some of you that a few animations aren’t working. The pool floats aren’t the issue. In my opinion, they need to be refined a bit more to fit the style of the game. The dead head animations are actually really well done and offer new characters to the world. I just don’t need them floating around the main display. Having them travel along the perimeter of the display makes more sense and would be welcomed.
- Give me a bonus countdown. Of course this will be done, but tough to see it go straight to next player so quickly. I would also love seeing something a bit more visually appealing during the main multiball. Either different scenes or switching up the content randomly across this multiball.
- We can’t have enough Elvira and main announcer call-outs. It’s what keeps us smiling while playing Scared Stiff. Again, this will likely come with code development.
The long and short is that everything I seen that can’t change is terrific and things I’d like to seen change, can with code. For me, I always wanted to love BM66 but couldn’t get into the layout or mechs, and the code while deep, lacked dynamic mood and tone. It always felt nostalgic but in a way that I couldn’t relate, given my age. Elvira House Of Horrors is different and transcends age. This game looks campy, exciting, visually appealing, and fun! I’m already sad I didn’t get an LE, but the Premium will work very nicely, especially as code continues to develop.

After watching the Dead Flip video I agree with what you have said. It's just a shame they elected to price gouge on this title. That alone has prevented me from placing an order.

#2869 4 years ago
Quoted from Squizz:

No junk in this trunk!
Luv DN games, but just doesn't have SS feel about it.
I see no rush after watching this Video and cancelled my Le.
If things change, I'll grab a Premium when the price settles down Second hand.

This sums up my decision exactly. AMD must have had a number of people pull their interest in the LE. Bruce didn't seem surprised at all when I politely declined, I took it he'd heard that more than once already.

#2870 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

After watching the Dead Flip video I agree with what you have said. It's just a shame they elected to price gouge on this title. That alone has prevented me from placing an order.

Maybe they will make a home version like Star Wars.. lol

#2871 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I don’t really view $300 over a normal premium as “gouging”. Maybe the Signature edition.

#2872 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Borg layout with 2 ramps, bash toy, and this time the scoop is moved back to the left side of the playfield?

#2873 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Borg layout with 2 ramps, bash toy, and this time the scoop is moved back to the left side of the playfield?

Nope. Quicksilver reskin

#2874 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I don’t really view $300 over a normal premium as “gouging”. Maybe the Signature edition.

I'm referring to the Australian pricing model, not the US prices.

#2875 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

I'm referring to the Australian pricing model, not the US prices.

Yeah your distributor is really taking advantage. Not good.

#2876 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Yeah your distributor is really taking advantage. Not good.

No they are not taking advantage of anyone, our distro in Australia is very good. Our dollar is still going down.

#2877 4 years ago

Half our games are Lyman, and we love them. In Lyman we trust!

Game is expensive so I feel most of the complaining has more to do with the price and playfield issues than game and gameplay. We have been very spoilt for choice over the last few years and hopefully this will continue. I agree the code on this is still in early stages but I actually like that, I like seeing the code progress.

Australia is about to go in to a recession, dollar is still falling to its lowest level in the last 11 years, so I would expect pinball sales to take a hit.

#2878 4 years ago

Which would be quite fitting, and ironic in a way, since many of their songs originated from other artists.

#2879 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballaddicted:

No they are not taking advantage of anyone, our distro in Australia is very good. Our dollar is still going down.

I agree, our distributor has been excellent for a very long time. For this title the maths just don't equate for me. The recommended price in the USA is being listed as $9599 for the LE. Which is not the price any distributor will be buying the games, it's just the recommended sale price in the USA. Like every release, the actual sale prices in the USA are always lower, in fact numerous people on every release post here to say they have ordered at a lower price than the MRSP.

I base my opinion on the following factors, the distributor cost, the current exchange rate, add shipping and GST (tax), what remains is the margin. For me the price point set by Stern, our exchange rate and the other factors involved in arriving at this price point changes my decision to purchase and it appears to have influenced the decision of a number of other Aussie buyers.

#2880 4 years ago
Quoted from pascal-pinball:

You mean the introduction video’s by the movies?
There are 26 movies in the game and there is more than one introduction video for each movie so there will be more than 10 clips
And please no Elvira animations !! The real stuff please.

But no 26 haunts, Stream said only 6 haunts.

#2881 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Nope. Quicksilver reskin

Oh man, fingers crossed!

#2882 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

But no 26 haunts, Stream said only 6 haunts.

Plus secret key room with haunt medley!

#2883 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

I’m sure one has existed for a while, but not years or substantially longer than the average development cycle.

What’s the “average development cycle” for a pinball machine? Never mind.... my point is, there has been plenty of time to come up with usable code. The end of ball bonus hasn’t even been coded.

Based on the machine I saw in the video I watched, the machine isn’t ready - that’s the bottom line.

#2884 4 years ago
Quoted from Lounge:

What’s the “average development cycle” for a pinball machine? Never mind.... my point is, there has been plenty of time to come up with usable code. The end of ball bonus hasn’t even been coded.
The machine isn’t ready - that’s the bottom line.

If all Stern programmers have been busy developing code for each title that has been released, which they have, as they've all been assigned a game to code. Then this title is no different to any other time time frame provided to develop code for a game. Just because the playfield layout and storyboard for some of the rules/features were done by Dennis & Greg 2 years ago, doesn't mean that a programmer was assigned the game and given time to focus on this game any sooner.

#2885 4 years ago
Quoted from jonesjb:

Are you sure on that? I got the gist from the video the 20+films are used as follows:
-6 main haunt modes
-Another haunt mode room you need a hidden key to get access. It is a hodgepodge of scenes (haunts) from the other films that there wasn’t enough to craft a full dedicated haunt mode around.
-3 Garage multiballs around theme: zombies, women, and creatures.
-there will likely be a few more around basement and attic.

EDIT - NOPE - I was wrong it is 6 Haunts

#2886 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

If all Stern programmers have been busy developing code for each title that has been released, which they have, as they've all been assigned a game to code. Then this title is no different to any other time time frame provided to develop code for a game. Just because the playfield layout and storyboard for some of the rules/features were done by Dennis & Greg 2 years ago, doesn't mean that a programmer was assigned the game and given time to focus on this game any sooner.

And that's the real bottom line. Hasn't Lyman been working on BM66 updated with killer code. One can probably guess a large part of the delay getting this game into production was coder was working on other games.

#2887 4 years ago
Quoted from Pinballer73:

You’re free to spend your money on whatever you wish. I’m sitting this one out.

#2888 4 years ago

It already did.

Playfield art isn’t peeling off yet, either ... one of a kind SuperDuperLE! Send your $15,000 now!

rd
CEC1CDEA-8629-44D3-A34C-358AA07AE2B1 (resized).jpegCEC1CDEA-8629-44D3-A34C-358AA07AE2B1 (resized).jpeg

#2889 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

It's typical Pinside fashion for all the people that weren't really interested in the game or people thinking every new game will be a GOAT to flood the threads with the same old negativeness. All we can do is just sit back and wait for them to get bored.

#2890 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

It already did.
Playfield art isn’t peeling off yet, either ... one of a kind SuperDuperLE! Send your $15,000 now!
rd
[quoted image]

Waaaay to cheap RD.

#2891 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Yes - I'm sure - 26 Haunts, and after 13 (which is half) there is a special mode - ie Wizard. Probably another Wizard mode after all 26. There other scenes are in addition from other movies. Other qualified sources said 40 films were used in the game - so that would mean 14 additional movies that the scenes are cool for a callout or wizard mode, but not used as a Haunt mode. The 26 movies used as modes have been listed by name somewhere (pinside, ign, or twip).

Got a link to the first part of your comment T7? Because I’m sure Lyman said 6 haunts, plus the part mode/room which is half way, then the attic modes and the key room is a mix of additional haunts.

#2892 4 years ago

The stream appropriately invited Dennis and Greg, Lyman, Mike V and Danger. The game looked ok to shoot. Why do Stern games allow only 4 players? In this age they should allow 6 or 8 players. If so, all five could have shot the game.

#2893 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Yes - I'm sure - 26 Haunts, and after 13 (which is half) there is a special mode - ie Wizard. Probably another Wizard mode after all 26. There other scenes are in addition from other movies. Other qualified sources said 40 films were used in the game - so that would mean 14 additional movies that the scenes are cool for a callout or wizard mode, but not used as a Haunt mode. The 26 movies used as modes have been listed by name somewhere (pinside, ign, or twip).

Hope so! I'd love for you to be right, and me wrong

#2894 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

I hear ya there. Stern offers near instant gratification with how fast they can ship games. At these prices though I've become much more selective with buying NIB games. Elvira looks cool but considering the price of the LE I rather wait until next year when JJP releases Toy Story.

You never stop shilling JJP in a Stern thread...you’re worse than the guy that always bashes Hobbit. It is getting really old by now. Stay in JJP threads, because Stern does not sell anything you’re interested in buying. We get it by now, you own JJP stock and don’t want to see it keep going down...

#2895 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Waaaay to cheap RD.

I need to reinvent myself as a “lifestyle brand ...”

rd

#2896 4 years ago
Quoted from rotordave:

I need to reinvent myself as a “lifestyle brand ...”

rd

How often do Gucci, Nike or Supreme have to specifically remind consumers they "are a lifestyle brand"?

pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png
#2897 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a good question. I'm not against releasing games "early" per se - it's been a pretty successful model for them. But Stern has been cranking out so many games lately I don't think it hurts them any to hold this back another 6 months - year.

Hurts them a lot if they scheduled this game for the manufacturing line a year ago. An idle factory means people paid to not make games. If their space in the line is up for N weeks then they gotta run the game, right? Can’t sit there bumping some other game in 3 months when the code is done.

I guess it’s just one of the things that happens when you’re the largest pinball manufacturer in the world, and actually ship games, right? When you plan things 24 months out or longer, any bump in the road software wise might have to just be dealt with by a post launch patch. People demand ultra deep games with complicated mechs and triple-a video game style visuals. I’m sure the software team feels the pressure. Ain’t an easy job.

#2898 4 years ago

Not the worst reveal we've seen ... but ... seems like yet another game where Stern has to use code to salvage what's there today. It's been a trend for a long time now!

The play fields are always bare -- relatively speaking to JJP and AP and even Spooky -- and the prices are crazy.

So no way, I'm out.

#2899 4 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

Same here.

Sorry, but you are an extremely bad judge of playfield layout. This game has the same layout as MM and AFM - do you think those games are boring layouts?

#2900 4 years ago

Isn't it funny that Pinsiders with several games in their collection seem to like the new pin while Pinsiders with just a couple pins or less say they are out and unwilling to give the game a chance? This is a dream release for many of us. I was just looking at the posts and thought that observation was interesting.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
11,855 (OBO)
$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 35.00
Playfield - Other
Pinhead mods

$ 31.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 36.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 34.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
BomberMods

Playfield - Protection
SilverBall Designs

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 188.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 58 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/58?hl=wlf_ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.