pasted_image (resized).jpeg
762CCCAE-7C30-48EB-A24B-662264858C0C (resized).jpeg
20191106_150140 (resized).jpg
20191106_143111.jpg
20191106_135932.jpg
20191106_140206.jpg
4DFF5D79-EBCB-4729-B9C9-8F242EE6BD58 (resized).jpeg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic (Show topic index)

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 79.
#2801 4 years ago
Quoted from yancy:

Looks like it shoots smooth and easy, maybe a bit too easy for great players. No dangerous, tight or close shots that I can see. Accurate shooters will be on this thing all day, like BM66. I hope tourney directors are all stocked up on lightning flippers. And don't forget to pull those outlane posts.

It looks like it has a lot of flow, and Lyman said it was a longer player. But on the stream nobody really got that far, and Lyman and Mike are both excellent players.

#2802 4 years ago

I think it looks cool, I'm just not sure of the main concept...

so every room is haunted, and the haunting takes the form of a movie being played - have I got that right? Or do you watch a movie and the deadheads are the things doing the haunting?

#2803 4 years ago
Quoted from Tastysirloin:

So happy I pulled out of my LE spot after watching DeadFlip stream will stick with my MBLE R NIB $2500 less and has a great topper also no playfield issues

I love my MBLEr too but I think you better check your math there Lol

EDIT: Nvm, i see you are in Australia

#2804 4 years ago
Quoted from thewool:

I think it looks cool, I'm just not sure of the main concept...
so every room is haunted, and the haunting takes the form of a movie being played - have I got that right? Or do you watch a movie and the deadheads are the things doing the haunting?

Each room in the house is haunted by a Movie Monster that Elvira made fun of on her show. They are haunting her house because she ridiculed them. You are helpling Elvira clear the ghouls/rooms 1 at a time (each Haunt mode). As you are clearing that Movie Monster, you are watching progressing scenes from that monsters movie (sort of a summary of the movie). If you beat the mode, you see the monster get destroyed - in the stream you could see this when they beat the Werewolf of Washington mode. Within the game, this equates to the monster being sent back into their movie. I also read that after you reach some level (probably a Wizard mode), they show you a recap of the Movie you created -> which is probably the monsters you faced in the sequence you battled them.

The Dead Heads are more of a separate story line versus the Haunt modes. There are 12 different dead heads, and I'm sure there are rewards for defeating them. Maybe awards at different counts, and probably a wizard mode for defeating all 12 in a game (a complete guess).

#2805 4 years ago
Quoted from DavidPinballWizz:

The little introduction on every mode she does is too little for the game to hold interest. It's like 10 videoclips in total? The game should have had more

You mean the introduction video’s by the movies?
There are 26 movies in the game and there is more than one introduction video for each movie so there will be more than 10 clips

And please no Elvira animations !! The real stuff please.

#2806 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Each room in the house is haunted by a Movie Monster that Elvira made fun of on her show. They are haunting her house because she ridiculed them. You are helpling Elvira clear the ghouls/rooms 1 at a time (each Haunt mode). As you are clearing that Movie Monster, you are watching progressing scenes from that monsters movie (sort of a summary of the movie). If you beat the mode, you see the monster get destroyed - in the stream you could see this when they beat the Werewolf of Washington mode. Within the game, this equates to the monster being sent back into their movie. I also read that after you reach some level (probably a Wizard mode), they show you a recap of the Movie you created -> which is probably the monsters you faced in the sequence you battled them.
The Dead Heads are more of a separate story line versus the Haunt modes. There are 12 different dead heads, and I'm sure there are rewards for defeating them. Maybe awards at different counts, and probably a wizard mode for defeating all 12 in a game (a complete guess).

Thanks for the detailed answer! That makes a lot more sense and cohesive... I guess the clearing the movie monster wasn't that clear from the gameplay,. but maybe they will flesh this out more in the code.

p.s. am surprised at how fit Elvira is for her age!!

#2807 4 years ago

Looks pretty good to me.

Thanks for the stream JD

#2808 4 years ago
Quoted from gliebig:

I don't know much about Elvira, a little before my time... Did she used to float around on a pool toy or something? Serious question. Trying to figure out how a pool float intertwines with a campy horror theme.

The answer to this is no... Pool floaties had nothing to do with Elvira until pinball.

#2809 4 years ago

The deadheads I saw on the stream didn't look very dead or much like Grateful Dead fans. I can't say I am a big fan of them floating around the screen either.

#2810 4 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Stern is out of their minds charging more for Elivra LE then what JJP charged for Pirates LE. Absolutely insane.
Will revisit possibly buying a premium in 2 years when the code is done.

I would like to agree with you.

But Stern sold out of the SLE's and LE's, while POTC trickled out so slowly, the buzz just died a painful death.

If Stern keep selling out, they sure as ain't going to lower prices!

#2811 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

And i never would try and deny your right to love the game but I have the same right to hate it. Same with Avengers, but that doesn't bother you because you don't own the game right?

You can hate it all you want and if you have to, share it with all of us once. Everyone’s point is you don’t need to repeat yourself over and over. We get it the first time. Going on and on endlessly only does one thing - piss the rest of us off. You can’t see that? Come on man, really.

#2812 4 years ago
Quoted from Clytor:

The deadheads I saw on the stream didn't look very dead or much like Grateful Dead fans. I can't say I am a big fan of them floating around the screen either.

That definitely seems to be the overall consensus.

#2813 4 years ago
chaos_theory (resized).jpgchaos_theory (resized).jpg
#2814 4 years ago
Quoted from Bencollins:

I could get this or a hobbit that’s got over 2800 plays on it. What would you choose?

Wait for the hobbit re-release with metal flake gold dragons horde with sparkle paint like the did on WOZ yellow brick road edition.

#2815 4 years ago
Quoted from cscmtp:

I didn't find a single shot on Hobbit really satisfying to hit.

Into the Fire is lit and after a few bricks you backhand the right gobble hole. The ball goes all the way up into the captive area and then does its little toilet-bowl-swirl before disappearing.... You get a moment to take a breath as the table goes dark and you get "Out of the frying pan....." before all the RGB lighting goes bonkers and the table fills up with balls.

Say what you will about Hobbit. Everybody has tables they enjoy and don't enjoy. But if that's not a satisfying shot, I don't know what is, and I'd say your distaste is wrecking your objectivity. The Hobbit mini-wizards are up there with the SS crate or orbit multiball starts, easily.

#2816 4 years ago

Must have missed the memo, as I too enjoy Hobbit. Battling the beasts and hitting roving targets create a sensory satisfaction. Had one game where I bashed 170 beasts. Often left tense and tired from playing 3 stage wizard modes. A solid top 25 for me.

Anyways,’will be watching the Elvira stream tonight on YouTube. Sounds like code is early, so why is Stern releasing the game now? I’d put 3lvira in top 100 at this stage.

A podcaster needs to interview Dennis to find out what was removed/changed.

#2817 4 years ago

I think it looks good and the code will eventually be great with Lyman. He's as close to a sure thing as there is in pinball. I like the campy old movies and think the concept of the game is great.

I'm not sure what anyone expected the mansion to do after reading the feature matrix and seeing the trailer videos. It was clear it wasn't the castle from MM, but overall I think there are some cool stuff going on for sure with the coffin ball lock, mansion lock, the dead head tomb, and the features that the mansion does have. There is nothing overwhelming or anything, but I think it all comes together for nice package.

I'm not in on one right now, but I could see picking up a used LE or getting a premium down the road.

#2818 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Sounds like code is early, so why is Stern releasing the game now?

That's a good question. I'm not against releasing games "early" per se - it's been a pretty successful model for them. But Stern has been cranking out so many games lately I don't think it hurts them any to hold this back another 6 months - year.

This being said, we heard all these complaints with Batman 66, which was revealed before it was even flipping and released about 2 years away from mature code. And it all worked out.

You can buy these games now, or you can buy them in two years when the code is mature, or not buy one at all and just tell us about the MBLE you just bought for no reason. It's up to you. Some people just want the game and don't mind seeing it evolve while they own it. Some people want the game now and melt down when the code takes so long, despite past precedent. And some people don't want the game at all but love complaining about code.

So there's something for everybody.

#2819 4 years ago

I thought Elvira made jokes about dongs and boobs and stuff.

#2820 4 years ago

finally got a chance to watch the stream a bit.

Only real comments are that the inner tube animation looks very odd, the game appears to shoot nice, the code is obviously still shallow, and the price seems high for what you get. I am guessing this will take a solid hit on secondary like Beatles has.

IF there are any pf issues then things will go very bad for this title (marketed to high end home collectors, premium and up, and the $ are big which brings bigger expectations for quality)

Lyman will be the backbone of this game.

#2821 4 years ago

One thing is for certain: Elvira looks insanely hot!

#2822 4 years ago

I’m just glad Elviras real cans are finally captured (and preserved) in a pinball game. 5 years from now (or 2) when cleavage is illegal and they start hanging to the floor this will be a collectors item.

After all, how long can she keep them fresh?

#2823 4 years ago

For Lyman us now busy coding Elvira, i fear that there is no hope for an "Oi Mania Fix" for ACDC in the fear future.

#2824 4 years ago

I'm not jumping off the bridge yet. I think once Lyman works his magic, this pin will become a sleeper hit with the players. I thought the whole team, especially Mike, look exhausted. Maybe their rushing it in time for the Halloween season (which makes sense). Plus, JP just got released, so it definitely becomes decision time for us pinball buyers of which new Stern pin will outweigh the other in terms of value, playability, code, etc. (moving dinosaur head or interacting haunted house Hmmmmm) I agree what was sad before, this is a really early beta code and I don't think the team wanted to show us EVERYTHING. Plus, if you get tired of the mode introductions, you can always skip them by hitting both flipper buttons.

I agree on the pool floats, maybe switch them with bats flying all over the place with every bumper hit. I don't mind the dead heads floating around during modes, buy maybe give them more animation(s) of them screaming and "swirling away" after you defeat them. Plus, more funny Elvira "sexy" quotes. I loved the original Night of the Living Dead mode, where you have to hit the house (and the ramps for bonuses) in order to escape the zombie, just like in the movie when the girl is running from the zombie trying to make it to the farm house. Genius!

I love the haunted house and all of it's shot(s) you can have, along with all of the lighting effects that goes with the house. Obviously it reminds me of the castle from MM (that Jack inadvertently said when he first saw it), but it also reminds me of the Vengeance ship on ST in regards to so many things the toy's interaction can do during gameplay. Let the boys get some sleep and work some more magic on this pin and I'm sure the sun will rise again tomorrow.

Okay, you gotta admit, Cassandra Petersen still looks great and it looks like Elvira never ages. You go Girl!

#2825 4 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

That's a good question. I'm not against releasing games "early" per se - it's been a pretty successful model for them.

There have been a few comments suggesting that Cassandra’s contract required the game be released by Halloween 2019.

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#2826 4 years ago

Watched it. I too am not crazy about the innertube thingys. Bats would be better. The game looks like fun.....not Scared Stiff fun, but fun...

#2827 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

Then in the future, the only owners of Sterns pins will be "the lifestyle of the rich and famous"

#2828 4 years ago
Quoted from thecashier76:

Great looking game, hopefully it will be on location where I can play it because I’m broke.

But you're the cashier! Just take some money out of the register and order a premium.

#2829 4 years ago

Judge what we see today on Elvira's shots, playfield art, toys, cabinet art, etc. I.E., the things that can't change. Little things like software graphics and animation can be so easily changed, and could just be placeholders. No reason to get panties in a bunch over minor software stuff.

#2830 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

IMO they modified the code to have linear modes for the stream because they didn't want to reveal too much of the game. By doing this, we only saw 3 modes, which made it feel repetitive and lacking in variety

Isn’t the point of a reveal to sell the game? If they didn’t want to show too much, they can just play a bit and drain on purpose. My less naive opinion is the code is unfinished for selecting your haunt, and the game is shipping with (not many) linear haunts as shown in the reveal. I can almost guarantee they lost more potential buyers than gained with this reveal.

#2831 4 years ago

LOL I haven't seen someone get PWNED like this in a long, long time. This guy is obsessed! I only wish there was a rule where every time he mentioned the Hobbit, that link accompanies his comment. He pissed in the Hobbit threads for years and years, just a miserable creature...

#2832 4 years ago

For What this game is, how many mechs and features it has. This game is bad for pinball if it succeeds.

The price point for what you get is an absolute joke. Its a $5500 pin Period.

This game needs to be a huge failure at this price point or else future titles from stern and even other companies are going to be more of the same.

#2833 4 years ago
Quoted from CVeRiTy:

Judge what we see today on Elvira's shots, playfield art, toys, cabinet art, etc. I.E., the things that can't change. Little things like software graphics and animation can be so easily changed, and could just be placeholders. No reason to get panties in a bunch over minor software stuff.

That’s all true, but #1 there is no guarantee they will be changed and #2 God only knows when. So bunched panties are warranted when fans of the previous two titles expected the same level of effort for 8 grand.

#2834 4 years ago
Quoted from master_of_chaos:

For Lyman us now busy coding Elvira, i fear that there is no hope for an "Oi Mania Fix" for ACDC in the fear future.

Yes, how long do you think it will take to get the fix?

I was hoping it would be 2019 but it's looking unlikely, sadly.

#2835 4 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

There have been a few comments suggesting that Cassandra’s contract required the game be released by Halloween 2019.

Then another way to ask the question? Why didn’t Lyman start coding 3E a year so that it would be at 1.0 code upon release? If the answer was because he was busy working on BM66, I’d say Stern picked the wrong resource for this job. Someone new, perhaps Brian Eddy, would have had an empty plate.

The problem early code presents is that you can’t be assured you’ll like how the code turns out. So if you buy first, hope second and wait to see third - you are making a big gamble. Doesn’t matter who is coding. Unless you don’t care how well the code is. Take Munsters, please. Came out as a Borg title, so people bought. #Borgis#1inmyheart. Code is done and some still don’t like it. They’ll need to sell it and move on. Only makes financial sense to try first, follow developments second and then buy if satisfied is number three to follow.

#2836 4 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

I would like to agree with you.
But Stern sold out of the SLE's and LE's, while POTC trickled out so slowly, the buzz just died a painful death.

I hear ya there. Stern offers near instant gratification with how fast they can ship games. At these prices though I've become much more selective with buying NIB games. Elvira looks cool but considering the price of the LE I rather wait until next year when JJP releases Toy Story.

#2837 4 years ago
Quoted from ViperVS:

I was expecting awsome Scared Stiff 2. Istead there's black and white 60's movie clips, disco music, colorful life rings and a pensioneer on a casting couch. What the hell is going on here?

It definitely has a different vibe which to me is what I was looking for. I didn't want Scared Stiff 2 personally, already have a Scared Stiff so why have overlap? Instead I love that Party Monsters, Scared Stiff and House Of Horrors are different from each other in look, feel and play to where they can all sit side by side in a collection as different games. And let's face it, if they made Scared Stiff 2 people would rag on it for just being a rehash of Scared Stiff.

#2838 4 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

Isn’t the point of a reveal to sell the game? If they didn’t want to show too much, they can just play a bit and drain on purpose. My less naive opinion is the code is unfinished for selecting your haunt, and the game is shipping with (not many) linear haunts as shown in the reveal. I can almost guarantee they lost more potential buyers than gained with this reveal.

Lyman said they switched the game to be linear for the stream - my opinion is not naive LOL. I'm sure the game isn't completely finished, and they have a schedule to get it out before Halloween - which makes sense big time for this title. They also don't want to show everything. It was 100x better than the Batman reveal and look at how BM66 turned out.

#2839 4 years ago

Instead of the pool party innertubes it should have been a movie theater and the pop bumpers pop corn.

#2840 4 years ago

Let’s be honest. Who is watching the back box when playing? It really is more for the spectators. I know I’m watching the playfield unless there is a break in the action. All pinball animation is kind of on the goofy side. Elvira is no different. An oddly placed floating dead head isn’t going to bug the person playing the game at all. It looks like the game plays silky smooth to me. I’m still a buyer and I know the Elvira call outs will be good as always.

#2841 4 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Yes - 26 Haunts, and it looks like a wizard mode after 13, and another after 26

Are you sure on that? I got the gist from the video the 20+films are used as follows:

-6 main haunt modes
-Another haunt mode room you need a hidden key to get access. It is a hodgepodge of scenes (haunts) from the other films that there wasn’t enough to craft a full dedicated haunt mode around.
-3 Garage multiballs around theme: zombies, women, and creatures.

-there will likely be a few more around basement and attic.

#2842 4 years ago

In Lyman we trust ! This will turn into something special.

#2843 4 years ago

Looks like a fun game to flip, dig the movie clips, just letting these bad movies run is very dry humor, I like it. But yes, inner tubes smaller and maybe confined to one corner of the screen. Floating heads also need to be contained - maybe not float around at all. But I predict the code/movie/playfield integration is going to get close to another BM66 down the road, it's got all the ingredients in place....

#2844 4 years ago
Quoted from BasementFacts:

I planned to buy an LE and decided to wait for a Premium. After watching the stream I decided to pass completely. I was incredibly bored watching the stream and lost interest after 20 minutes. Hell everyone in the stream looked bored. There was a lot of excitement and fun during the GB code reveal stream last week and that was all missing from the Elvira stream.

They didn't sell me on Elvira, but I did pick up a GB premium over the weekend.

#2847 4 years ago
Quoted from Redfield0009:

I planned to buy an LE and decided to wait for a Premium. After watching the stream I decided to pass completely. I was incredibly bored watching the stream and lost interest after 20 minutes. Hell everyone in the stream looked bored. There was a lot of excitement and fun during the GB code reveal stream last week and that was all missing from the Elvira stream.
They didn't sell me on Elvira, but I did pick up a GB premium over the weekend.

No offense, but I'd be bored watching any game for 20 minutes, including the one I'm playing.

#2848 4 years ago
Quoted from jeffspinballpalace:

Then another way to ask the question? Why didn’t Lyman start coding 3E a year so that it would be at 1.0 code upon release? If the answer was because he was busy working on BM66, I’d say Stern picked the wrong resource for this job. Someone new, perhaps Brian Eddy, would have had an empty plate.
The problem early code presents is that you can’t be assured you’ll like how the code turns out. So if you buy first, hope second and wait to see third - you are making a big gamble. Doesn’t matter who is coding. Unless you don’t care how well the code is. Take Munsters, please. Came out as a Borg title, so people bought. #Borgis#1inmyheart. Code is done and some still don’t like it. They’ll need to sell it and move on. Only makes financial sense to try first, follow developments second and then buy if satisfied is number three to follow.

Because he was working on BM66 AND the Walking Dead update AND this game (and who knows what else). He's probably the hardest working coder in pinball (although KJ is up there too). He was the coder for this game from the start, they made this a Haunted House because Lyman always wanted to work on that as a theme. He is totally stoked to be on this, how can anyone think the code won't be amazing?

#2849 4 years ago

For me, I’m looking forward to playing the heck out of this machine to really know that I want it. I then am going to wait 6 months to a year and pick up a HUO machine. Depending on how big of a hit in the aftermarket price it takes will be my deciding factor If I just stick with a premium or get an LE. But so far I’m liking what I see. And when I’m ready to purchase a HUO, the coding should be more matured. But, I am excited.

#2850 4 years ago
Quoted from ZMeny:

My first impressions

Obvious distributor is obvious.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
8,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

8,499 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hollywood, FL
$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 18.00
Lighting - Other
Pin Monk

10,000 (Firm)
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

$ 59.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Cento Creations

$ 45.00
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 25.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinEffects

$ 50.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Don's Pinball Swag Barn

$ 99.99
Cabinet - Decals
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Docquest Pinball Mods

$ 40.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Pin Modster

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Plastics
SilverBall Designs

$ 200.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Led Pinball

$ 12,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 69.99
Cabinet - Decals
Inscribed Solutions

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Cento Creations

$ 20.00
Playfield - Other
Docquest Pinball Mods

There are 3,913 posts in this topic. You are on page 57 of 79.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/elvira-3-the-official-thread/page/57?hl=thecashier76 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.